Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 06:04 AM   #811
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Welcome Jacqui! Glad to have you here and yes, we will support and try to help you all we can.
We need to know more about you though, try posting your menu for a few days, at the end of each day, your weight, height, age, activity level, and then maybe we can take a look and see where we might help you tweak it.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #812
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Morning all,Buffy I hope you found the problem.cause the does not usually make you tired,maybe try the broths to get you needed salt!You be careful.
I'm down or back to my 164.6 this morning,I think jimmy Moore is on to something big that could change people's lives.i no when I keep that fat up I lose the most,I did really good yesterday..I just don't want to worry this week while on vacation so I'm really going to try to eye ball most of my food.got my fat bombs ready and go my ingredient with me to make more.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #813
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pinky45
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Buffy, glad you liked the CC pudding. I want to try it with the cocoa next time I make it.
Today I was up 2 lbs!!! I ate a stir fried cabbage with supper last night and I am thinking that may have done it. I ate quite a bit of it. It really bothered my stomach and is still bothering my stomach this morning. I haven't been eating much vegies and I think cabbage wasn't maybe a good choice!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:27 AM   #814
Big Yapper!!!!

Becky, enjoy your trip. I agree on the high fat helping us lose, so glad Jimmy and others found this WOE.

Pinky, I am going to try one of my other little bowls today with pumpkin and some pumpkin pie spices. One of my DD's misses the pumpkin fluff she used to make on the WW diet, but it is too high in carbs made the WW way, this might be a good replacement.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #815
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pinky45
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Buffy, I love pumpkin too...another very good idea. It will be nice to be able to make it a variety of ways!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #816
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui View Post
Hi you all

i really need support and probably help,

i have been overweight all my life and tried any diet, after lots of reading decided to stop eating carbs as much as possible and been doing it for three months, at the beggining it was great, i AM feeling great, i am eating less, i feel energetic, i dont have cravings anymore, i dont binge, just wonderful...

BUT, i am not losing any weight for some weeks now, and i am starting to feel sad, and thinking that maybe is all the fat i am eating, that maybe i should starve my self?

i have read that people sort of melt when they stop eating sugars and carbs but it is not happening to me...

any support/help/advice?????

thanks!!!!
Hi jacqui

How tall are you? What is your current weight and goal weight? What is your frame size (you can find the link to measure it in the intro post on page one of this thread)? Does anyone else impact what you eat? Mate, kids, parents, roommates, cat, dog, whomever?

Are you weighing and logging your food?

How much weight did you lose before it tapered off?

What plan are you following?

And don't get panicky. Think about what you said in your post. You feel better in every way eating LC. That is a big, big deal. LC is a very healthy way of eating so it isn't that you just feel better - you are better. Losing weight is usually just a matter of tweaking what you are doing.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #817
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
Start Date: 10/24/12
Can someone elaborate on Keto-adaptation...how do you know you are keto-adapted? is getting a ketone reading between .5 and 6 all you need to be keto adapted? What are the benefits of keto-adaptation. Thanks!!

btw- i tested my ketones (blood) for the first time today- 0.7 (yay!). However, I was up a few pounds last week. I am waiting a few days to weigh myself- don't want to be disappointed if there is no loss yet.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #818
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Red, I haven't been logging every day this past week, just too tired but just know it was a struggle to get much food down. going to log today and as I posted to Shelley, I might have found my problem in too much postassium for my BP meds.
Hmmm.

Low BP is an appetite suppressant?

It makes some sense because you wouldn't be feeling well and therefore less of an appetite.

But maybe it is the other way around? You aren't eating enough and therefore you aren't feeling well which is zapping your BP and making you feel worse which is making you less inclined to eat.

Is there something high calorie low carb you can munch on to try to get your calories up?
Old 11-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #819
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Can someone elaborate on Keto-adaptation...how do you know you are keto-adapted? is getting a ketone reading between .5 and 6 all you need to be keto adapted? What are the benefits of keto-adaptation. Thanks!!

btw- i tested my ketones (blood) for the first time today- 0.7 (yay!). However, I was up a few pounds last week. I am waiting a few days to weigh myself- don't want to be disappointed if there is no loss yet.
Keto-adapted, as Dr. Phinney describes it, means that you eat few enough carbs that your body's primary fuel source is fat rather than carbs.

Generally that means a consistent reading of .5 to 3.0 ketones if you do the blood measurements.

Keto-adapted also implies a steady state and the benefits from that are level blood sugars, weight maintenance or loss in the absence of over consuming calories, more stable moods, less risk of various modern diseases that the Standard American Diet seems to foster, and other junk I can't think of off the top of my head.

It also means little to no bonking for endurance exercises.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #820
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Keto-adapted, as Dr. Phinney describes it, means that you eat few enough carbs that your body's primary fuel source is fat rather than carbs.

Generally that means a consistent reading of .5 to 3.0 ketones if you do the blood measurements.

Keto-adapted also implies a steady state and the benefits from that are level blood sugars, weight maintenance or loss in the absence of over consuming calories, more stable moods, less risk of various modern diseases that the Standard American Diet seems to foster, and other junk I can't think of off the top of my head.

Bonking?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #821
Blabbermouth!!!

Becoming exhausted. Bikers call it bonking so Phinney refers to it as bonking too. Hitting the wall is a common expression for it too.

The phenomena is abrupt unlike 'normal' exhaustion that begins slowly and is easily recognized.

Runners have to carb up periodically on marathons. Keto-adapted people do not need to do that with fat/calories from what I understand.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #822
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Thanks for that! I guess that even though my ketones are in "the range" it will take a couple of weeks for me to be "keto-adapted"
Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #823
Big Yapper!!!!

Red, not sure if low BP causes appetite reduction, my home testing BP kit isn't very reliable so not sure if it was low, just know that when it gets too low I can feel like I have this past week. Today, after not taking extra potassium last night or this morning, I feel more normal so maybe it was that interacting with one of my 3 BP meds. After reading more about potassium use, I realize I should not be messing around too much with it while on some of the meds I am on.

I did push my calories last week with more than 1 fat bomb a day, which is usually my max and more HWC in my floats. So, except for 1-2 days, my calories weren't really that low, just lower than the 2000 I was pushing for.

So far, energy is normal feeling today but still not very hungry, so far just my CO and coffee but headed to kitchen to make food.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #824
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Thanks for that! I guess that even though my ketones are in "the range" it will take a couple of weeks for me to be "keto-adapted"
Wups. I left out that very important part about keto-adapted.

Phinney advises that it is usually a two to three week process. However he also says that it can take longer, much longer, depending on an individual's metabolism [and implied - health, medication, physical condition].

In Sweden? Norway? Gah can't recall off hand... 80/15/5 HFLC is a huge deal and has a huge following. One of the popular books written by one of their docs said it can take up to 6 months to become adapted to burning fat. I think Buffy got that book and read it.

Anyway! 2 weeks is nominal and it can take much longer.

As an aside, because it is related....

What happens when you are keto-adapted and you cheat? Too many carbs?

Phinney said on a Jimmy Moore podcast (the long term stalls one, google: "Phinney Long term stalls jimmy moore") that one cheat meal may cost you 3 to 5 days of re-adaptation. More than that and you face the full length adaptation period.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #825
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok, got 4 oz of meat down for lunch, well, almost, just a few more bites as I empty the dishwasher.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #826
Major LCF Poster!

Way to go Buffy!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #827
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Becoming exhausted. Bikers call it bonking so Phinney refers to it as bonking too. Hitting the wall is a common expression for it too.

The phenomena is abrupt unlike 'normal' exhaustion that begins slowly and is easily recognized.

Runners have to carb up periodically on marathons. Keto-adapted people do not need to do that with fat/calories from what I understand.

cool. thx
Old 11-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #828
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Hi everyone! Hope you guys are having a great weekend!!!
Mines been nice and busy, I saw an African children's choir this morning. They were so precious

Hi Red

Buffy I'm glad you got some protein in! I really hope you get your appetite back. Maybe a really dumb question, but what's CC pudding?

Becky, Have fun on your vacation yay

Jacqui please don't think about starving yourself. It's NOT fun and it doesn't work at all!! Like Red said, you're feeling better because you are better, and a little tweaking of your menu should help get your loss on a roll again. Hang in there, you're in the right place for support! This place is awesome

So my meat and egg fast is going to come to an end in a couple days. I would have added veggies in sooner but I said I would do it till thanksgiving and I wanted to follow thru with my challenge. I did lose 6.4lbs so that's great. I was pretty strict but had mushrooms on my steak last night...YUM!
I'll be eating a lil bit of everything on thanksgiving, doing the fast for a day or two after, then I'll be adding different veggies in slowly.
I really do enjoy eating this simple tho, I feel like it works best for me so I think I'll be sticking to a really simple menu of meat, eggs, veggies, and good fats

I hope everyone enjoys their Sunday night
Old 11-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #829
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Buffy.....I read the same thing about potassium. Bought a bottle and was taking one 99 mg AM and one PM and was dragging during that time. Read that it lowers BP and mine is already low (usually 100/60 and when I'm tired it's 88/46!!!!) So, stopped taking it and feel much better. However last night I slept for a solid 9.5 hours! I've never done that in my life. I'm a 7 to 7.5 hour person consistently. So, I think we are onto something with the supplementation of potassium to our lives. But I have low BP and yours is normal to high as I recall. I think I'll leave my little bottle along. Got my sublingual B12 in the mail yesterday (Methyl type). Glad to have that again! Forgot I even ordered it. My brain feels like I have a memory problem of late, and can't remember nouns/names! Anyone have that?

Today is hubby's 65th birthday. Took him out to breakfast and had the best omelet in the world...3 eggs, mushrooms, bacon (lots of it!), spinach and cheese. Nothing else with it (no potatoes/toast/fruit). I couldn't eat the whole thing! Amazing. I made him mocha/peppermint brownies for his "cake" as that is what he wanted. I'll do teh 3 minute lowcarb/sugar free choc. cake with BUTTER melted on top for frosting for me when he eats his brownies. Steak is his selection (I have a bitty ribeye for me) and I'm making yam "fries" and know that's high in carbs, but I haven't really had many today, so I'm going for it.

This morning was my weekly weigh/measure. Weight is up yet another 1.5# (so in 2.5 months I'm up 4#), but my inches are dropping a teensy bit finally...all but my already too large bustline (don't read that Major Red!!!!). I'm ignoring the scale and listening to the inches. I'm back in my 10 jeans, so that's a big deal to me! (was in 12's just a couple weeks ago)
Old 11-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #830
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
wow Shelly awesome getting inot 10's
Congrats

I don't know where the day went.
Hope everyone had a great weekend a Becky, You guys have a safe drive.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #831
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Buffy.....I read the same thing about potassium. Bought a bottle and was taking one 99 mg AM and one PM and was dragging during that time. Read that it lowers BP and mine is already low (usually 100/60 and when I'm tired it's 88/46!!!!) So, stopped taking it and feel much better. However last night I slept for a solid 9.5 hours! I've never done that in my life. I'm a 7 to 7.5 hour person consistently. So, I think we are onto something with the supplementation of potassium to our lives. But I have low BP and yours is normal to high as I recall. I think I'll leave my little bottle along. Got my sublingual B12 in the mail yesterday (Methyl type). Glad to have that again! Forgot I even ordered it. My brain feels like I have a memory problem of late, and can't remember nouns/names! Anyone have that?

Today is hubby's 65th birthday. Took him out to breakfast and had the best omelet in the world...3 eggs, mushrooms, bacon (lots of it!), spinach and cheese. Nothing else with it (no potatoes/toast/fruit). I couldn't eat the whole thing! Amazing. I made him mocha/peppermint brownies for his "cake" as that is what he wanted. I'll do teh 3 minute lowcarb/sugar free choc. cake with BUTTER melted on top for frosting for me when he eats his brownies. Steak is his selection (I have a bitty ribeye for me) and I'm making yam "fries" and know that's high in carbs, but I haven't really had many today, so I'm going for it.

This morning was my weekly weigh/measure. Weight is up yet another 1.5# (so in 2.5 months I'm up 4#), but my inches are dropping a teensy bit finally...all but my already too large bustline (don't read that Major Red!!!!). I'm ignoring the scale and listening to the inches. I'm back in my 10 jeans, so that's a big deal to me! (was in 12's just a couple weeks ago)
Happy birthday to Mr shelley
Yum that omelet sounds good! I had one today also.
I'm thinking I should make something like the 3 min cake for Thanksgiving so I don't eat the sugary goodies. Even tho I planned on having a small treat.
Congrats on the lost inches!!! I'd rather have my clothes fit better than see the number on the scale go down any day
Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #832
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks all !i leave at 7 am for a great trip,ill check in on Tuesday.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #833
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi Jacqui! Welcome. Hang in with us! We all have had, or are still having issues. Don't starve yourself, I can tell you from personal experience that you do not want to go down that path. We all adapt at a different time-table, some of us just bounce a few pounds up and down. But we are in control, our hunger doesn't own us anymore.
Hi Becky! Hope your trip is great! Yea for back down!
Pinky, that CC pudding with dark cocoa is a keeper! I love stir fry cabbage, but I tend to put in too much soy.
Hi Darin! How are you doing? How was the book?? Bonking??!!! LOL.
Hi Tablis!
Buffy, I hope you report that you are back to normal tomorrow! Get some SAD light time and eat more!
Oceana, wow, your loss is great and you sound happy! I just can't fast...but I have to tomorrow for a test on Tuesday....broth day here I come! I plan on eating a small bit of anything LC, and getting back on the track Friday. They always want cresent rolls for Tgiving and Christmas, I can't remember what they taste like, but they smell great!
Hi Shelley! My 6monthclub partner! Are you getting enough sunlight? I don't usually get SAD, but we have lots of warm and sun most of the time in Texas! Happy B Day to Mr Shelley! We love sweet potato fries, I bake them to nearly hard crispy! Isn't it so neat when you get smaller jeans?
Hi Cheryl! Yes today went by fast. Hope you are doing good!
Talk to yall tomorrow!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #834
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Thanks all !i leave at 7 am for a great trip,ill check in on Tuesday.
PC/Becky....have a wonderful trip! Glad you'll be able to check in and give us updates on all your fun!!!!! Otherwise we would miss you horribly!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #835
Senior LCF Member

Drat...wrote a response to many of you and it got lost as my server cut me off. So, am going to just call it a night and will write more tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #836
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jacqui
thank you for being there :)

Hi, thanks for the warm answers, i was really needing a place to let go all my "panicky" feelings

i am feeling so good since i started low carb that i know i am not going back to sugar... think about it, after years of binging and cravings and dreaming about the next cake, i have been three months without sugar and i dont miss it, its a miracle

i am 36, mother of 5, secretary four hours a day, so very busy but not sportive...

i weigh 89 kg that is 195 pounds, started three months ago at 204 pounds, all the weight went down the first month and a half so i think it was mostly water... for more than a month i have been stuck. i am 161 cm tall that is (let me google...) 5' 2''. i am healthy. i have been obese all my life but i think my frame is not big and if i were thin i wouldn't be big.

i have been eating like this:

1. breakfast: 2 eggs made with butter, 1/2 to 1 avocado, coffee with cream
2. lunch: meat, sometimes with a tomato, or some other veggie
3. dinner: chicken

i am not eating vegetables and thats because is starting to be cold here and i am lazy with the cooking, since they are not so yummy

of course there were days when i woudn't eat like that;

a. once i made almond-coconut-flour cookies just to feel cookies... they were not good since they were not sweet
b. i made granola for my kids with natural ingredients and no grains and i ate some with coconut milk, that is off... because of the fruits
c. at the beggining i was trying primal (did you look at their success stories... people just melted off... but not me ) so i had a few pieces of sweet potato
d. the occasional indulgence... 85% chocolate

all that is gone since i decided to go keto... but i feel a bit miserable

if not sugars and grains and goodies... at least some potato once in a while... and that little piece of chocolate did make me feel good and not deprived
but i am starting to understand that maybe because of a b c d i wasnt losing weight

but why is it so hard for me and less hard for others... there is people there simply melting off...

again support and THANKS!!!!

Last edited by jacqui; 11-18-2012 at 11:43 PM..
Old 11-19-2012, 02:50 AM   #837
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
yesterday was 163 but It was That day of the month so...
Today is 161, better
But my whole body is sore.
I sat in a chair and painted all day yesterday except just a few hours. Guess that was a no no but OH is was so nice.
I had gone to an auction and the man was an artist and had some vintage supplies. The stuff is old as the hills but I am so thrilled. I got the stuff for just a few dollars and found a $40 brush that was brand new. Not to mention a $40 set of watercolor pencils.
Now I am gonna have to pull myself away from this stuff so I can get something done.
The kiddies will surely be painting today!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:11 AM   #838
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl that's great!! we can do this the weight is just a bonus the feeling good part is what I love,
Shelly that's so sweet of you,,, I'd miss y'all too,my little LC family,
I was still same weight but that is ok, my h said I was looking good!!
See y'all Tuesday!
Buffy hope you are feeling better today!you no you,me and Red has been here from the beginning of the thread. it sure has grown .
Cheryl you have with thoses paints.
Red dont take this the wrong way!! I love you like a sister....you are our rock....
SG...keep those post coming,you are so sweet!
Oceans you keep losing doing great!
Welcome to all our new people you will lose here if you listen to what we all have learned from our mistakes! See y'all later!!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #839
Senior LCF Member

I asked this over at NK too but I'm asking here again in case anyone knows the answer

...So I just made a batch of fatbombs using up all my CO and by mistake I grabbed the wrong bottle of vanilla flavoring. I hardly put any in - say 1 tsp in 500 ml but it says on it "food coloring:caramel" .... does that mean I just carbbed up the whole thing and should throw it out?
thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #840
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui View Post
Hi, thanks for the warm answers, i was really needing a place to let go all my "panicky" feelings

i am feeling so good since i started low carb that i know i am not going back to sugar... think about it, after years of binging and cravings and dreaming about the next cake, i have been three months without sugar and i dont miss it, its a miracle

i am 36, mother of 5, secretary four hours a day, so very busy but not sportive...

i weigh 89 kg that is 195 pounds, started three months ago at 204 pounds, all the weight went down the first month and a half so i think it was mostly water... for more than a month i have been stuck. i am 161 cm tall that is (let me google...) 5' 2''. i am healthy. i have been obese all my life but i think my frame is not big and if i were thin i wouldn't be big.

i have been eating like this:

1. breakfast: 2 eggs made with butter, 1/2 to 1 avocado, coffee with cream
2. lunch: meat, sometimes with a tomato, or some other veggie
3. dinner: chicken

i am not eating vegetables and thats because is starting to be cold here and i am lazy with the cooking, since they are not so yummy

of course there were days when i woudn't eat like that;

a. once i made almond-coconut-flour cookies just to feel cookies... they were not good since they were not sweet
b. i made granola for my kids with natural ingredients and no grains and i ate some with coconut milk, that is off... because of the fruits
c. at the beggining i was trying primal (did you look at their success stories... people just melted off... but not me ) so i had a few pieces of sweet potato
d. the occasional indulgence... 85% chocolate

all that is gone since i decided to go keto... but i feel a bit miserable

if not sugars and grains and goodies... at least some potato once in a while... and that little piece of chocolate did make me feel good and not deprived
but i am starting to understand that maybe because of a b c d i wasnt losing weight

but why is it so hard for me and less hard for others... there is people there simply melting off...

again support and THANKS!!!!
Jacqui- welcome! You gave us your usual menu, but without any quantities. Do you weigh/measure your food intake? Give us an idea of how many ounces of protein you are eating through out the day- I suggest getting a digital scale- so important for me b/c it is easy for me to eat 8oz of chicken at one sitting, and eat that again 2 more times during the day. Also, are you adding any fat into your diet? how much? what type? I think we need more specifics on your daily food intake in order to help you :-)
Closed Thread