Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #781
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Becky will you still be able to check in with us on your vacation? I hope

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #782
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Morning all, so nice to get to stop by before evening!
Cheryl, good morning and forget that bounce! I am on call this weekend, due to the issues the past few days, but I can connect and work from home as needed. I hope to get my Tgiving meal planned, we will have total of 4 this year, so really, this should be simple. Except everyone has a special thing.....
Becky, your retreat sounds like a great time ahead. Relax, dump the scale too. Enjoy it all. Back in another life I was a camp counselor and loved it....as long as I can stay reasonably warm that is! Young? Well I think so, but the calendar says 51!
Shreem, welcome! Love the pup! We love cream cheese, but I think I could never eat 8oz in one day. My new fav for afternoon snack is 2 oz CC mixed with 1 T peanut butter, natural kind no sugar. I eat cheese, HWC, sour cream too. We are not anti-dairy at all. But even if some are, you are welcome here!
Morning Darin! Stay up reading again!? I am going to start a new book next week when vacation time finally arrives....can't wait!
found some interesting will post separately on pot and mag....as many have had questions.
As soon as the temp comes up (yes I realize SG is a cold temp weenie)...warms to 50 I will head out to work in the garden. The hibiscus are still blooming and they make you smile.
CT
Old 11-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #783
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Yes I will have my iPad with me and she has Internet Thank God.and southergirl no scales will eat LC always but will add cheese,nuts and pork rinds. My h is retired military.we traveled a lot so when I'm in a car on a trip I think I have to eat,so it will be pork rinds. I love them.this is my week of not weighing food or counting any thing I think by now I might no my portion sizes I hope. Don't care if I don't lose but don't want to gain any.southergirl are you a nurse?
Old 11-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #784
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Yes I will have my iPad with me and she has Internet Thank God.and southergirl no scales will eat LC always but will add cheese,nuts and pork rinds. My h is retired military.we traveled a lot so when I'm in a car on a trip I think I have to eat,so it will be pork rinds. I love them.this is my week of not weighing food or counting any thing I think by now I might no my portion sizes I hope. Don't care if I don't lose but don't want to gain any.southergirl are you a nurse?
I am not a nurse....to explain what I do would be hard. I have both financial, audit, IT, law, and clinical background in healthcare. I am one of the "silent" folks in healthcare you do not see. I make sure all sides do their jobs, and all things are programmed correctly, and that all patients rights/services are within all laws that regulate our healthcare. It is very rewarding, and stressful!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #785
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pinky45
WOE: HF/MP/LC
I make this dessert with cream cheese and it is so yummy! I put some strawberry davinci syrup in the one I made yesterday...very delish...and pink!
CHEESECAKE PUDDING
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
8 ounces sour cream
3/4 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
2 teaspoons vanilla

Beat the cream cheese, sour cream, Splenda and vanilla until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream. Serve with fruit, if desired.

Makes 4 cups or 6 servings
Do not freeze

Last edited by pinky45; 11-17-2012 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: too many words.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #786
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky45 View Post
I make this dessert with cream cheese and it is so yummy! I put some strawberry davinci syrup in the one I made yesterday...very delish...and pink!
CHEESECAKE PUDDING
8 ounces sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla

Beat the cream cheese, sour cream, Splenda and vanilla until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream. Serve with fruit, if desired.

Do not freeze
Hmmm. This looks pretty dang tasty
Old 11-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #787
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Hmmm. This looks pretty dang tasty
Yes! This looks amazing. I was thinking about trying to learn to make a low carb cheese cake for our Thanksgiving.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #788
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
High Fat / Moderate Protein / Low Carb

Reddarin: thanks for the help with the HF, MP and LC.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #789
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
Reddarin: thanks for the help with the HF, MP and LC.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #790
Major LCF Poster!

I did check my keto.i had those sticks you pee on,it was dark as dark could get,so maybe I'm good..the gain was from the stress,plus I did not go #2 for today's!! But I made up this morning?.yehaw!!i no TMI,but y'all are family,,,,
Old 11-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #791
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
CHEESECAKE PUDDING
8 ounces sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla

Do not freeze
Mmmm...that sounds tasty! Bet it would be good with netritions lorann flavorings that I use in lowcarb ice cream for fun flavors too! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #792
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning!
Shreem!
I love cream cheese and my snack for a while was 2 oz cc, 2 T sour cream, 1 T cocoa powder, some liquid splenda, mix it all up. Was thinking of making some more of that today. I might add the HWC too to make it a little thinner.

Mixed some of my homemade mayo and horseradish last night to dip brisket in, yummo.

SG, wow, I don't think I could do those hours either, but, it was less than 10 years ago that I worked at a call center for FEMA and when there was a disaster, we would work 70 hour weeks sometimes, I know after Katrina, I worked overtime for more than 9 months straight, about did me in though.

Anxious to hear the info you have on pot and mag.

Hi to everyone else, hang in there, don't cheat and our scales will stay on the downward, although maybe slow, trend
Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #793
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
I did check my keto.i had those sticks you pee on,it was dark as dark could get,so maybe I'm good..the gain was from the stress,plus I did not go #2 for today's!! But I made up this morning?.yehaw!!i no TMI,but y'all are family,,,,
Thanks for sharing
Old 11-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #794
Big Yapper!!!!

Shreem, is that your dog? He/she is adorable!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #795
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
CHEESECAKE PUDDING
8 ounces sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla

Do not freeze
Sounds good! Do you have any idea what the nutrition information is on this?
Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #796
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pinky45
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Deborah, this is the nutritional info.
With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 366 Calories; 36g Fat; 5g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 354 Calories; 36g Fat; 5g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

I had not lost any weight for days and I ate this last night as a snack and was down o.8 this morning. Could just be a coincedence. But...I was happy!

Buffy, I might add cocoa powder sometimes to the cheese cake pudding. Good idea...I like chocolate cheese cake!

RedDarin...it really IS tastey!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #797
Senior LCF Member

Buffy, my dogs are similar. Two blonde toy poodles. live wires. They are my furbabies. ONe we rescued and the other we got as a puppy so she would have company. We had 2 Maltese (like the photo) before these two.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #798
Major LCF Poster!

Well had a great day so far!
My food...
3tbs-co
1oz hwc
5oz chicken thighs..yummmm
Devil egg
1-bacon
2- fat bombs
Cals=1328
Fat=120.9=82%
protein=47.4=16%. Little low
Carbs=6.7=2%
So that's 82/16/2
Old 11-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #799
Major LCF Poster!

I think I'm going to do like jimmy Moore and eat 2 meals aday which is what I do any way most of time...made my fat bombs today for trip.i did a little different I put co.butter,coco powder and stevia.mixed it up then poured that over a pecan.yummmmmmm.my chicken I cooked thighs in co and olive oil.i fried then fast so the skin got crispy,o my was they good, my h had his skin on side of plate and I went to get it,he said no,no,I said are you eating that he said yes it's the best I've ever taste.first time either of us have eating the skin.and not our last.

Last edited by portcop01; 11-17-2012 at 01:26 PM..
Old 11-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #800
Blabbermouth!!!

Unbreaded fried chicken is good eating

When are you leaving on your trip? I missed that post I reckon.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #801
Major LCF Poster!

Monday going up to pa.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #802
Big Yapper!!!!

Love the crispy skin off chicken, turkey, you name it.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #803
Big Yapper!!!!

I posted this as well over on the NK thread, sorry for those of you who read both.

Ok, my latest concerns. I am not hungry at all, didn't think I would ever utter those words, and having trouble getting enough calories in. But, I am eating a LOT of fat to try to keep them up, but struggling on the protein. I get about 2 oz done and push to get 3 oz of meat, one egg is more than enough. I assume this will pass and I will get back into a hungry phase. And, I am soooo tired. Not sure if it is fall and getting dark so early but I am getting more than 8 hours sleep and by early evening I am ready to sit and read or watch tv, and then seem to dose off. Hope this passes as well, maybe my body adjusting to the change in WOE and weight loss. I am taking all the supplements that have been recommended, thinking of asking my Dr. for some B12 injections if this doesn't pass soon.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #804
Big Yapper!!!!

Pinky45, made your CC pudding today, it is wonderful. I added chocolate to half of it and increased the sweetener a little, very good. I had been making something like this with just CC and sour cream and while it was good, it set up too stiff, this is perfect.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #805
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I posted this as well over on the NK thread, sorry for those of you who read both.

Ok, my latest concerns. I am not hungry at all, didn't think I would ever utter those words, and having trouble getting enough calories in. But, I am eating a LOT of fat to try to keep them up, but struggling on the protein. I get about 2 oz done and push to get 3 oz of meat, one egg is more than enough. I assume this will pass and I will get back into a hungry phase. And, I am soooo tired. Not sure if it is fall and getting dark so early but I am getting more than 8 hours sleep and by early evening I am ready to sit and read or watch tv, and then seem to dose off. Hope this passes as well, maybe my body adjusting to the change in WOE and weight loss. I am taking all the supplements that have been recommended, thinking of asking my Dr. for some B12 injections if this doesn't pass soon.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #806
Senior LCF Member

There have been several posts on both High Fat and NK this past week with questions on potassium, magnesium.....there are several minerals that are valuable, they help in several areas. While wasting time for a worthless virtual server to return to working.....I went into my library to read:

Your body is always at work trying to maintain a healthy pH balance. The best way for your body to access the minerals it needs is through the food you consume or, through supplements. If the pH level drops below 7.2— even by a very small amount — the body goes to work neutralizing the extra acid. To do that, the body needs alkaline minerals like calcium, manganese, magnesium, iron, and potassium. When your body cannot find the alkaline it needs in your diet, it will steal minerals from your bones or your body's tissues. And this is very dangerous, leading to major problems including: heart, kidney, and brain issues as well as skin and bone problems.

Potassium works with sodium to maintain the body's water balance. In "more basic primitive cultures", salt intake is about seven times lower than potassium intake, but in Western modern cultures like ours, salt intake is about three times higher than potassium intake. When sodium is high, especially relative to potassium, the body holds on to a lot of water. This is why your blood pressure goes up when you eat salt, and why it goes down when you consume more potassium. Consuming potassium also lowers bloat, not to mention your risk for stroke by double digit percentages. Low potassium levels may cause heart disease as well.

Taking potassium supplements with any of several different blood pressure medications (including ACE inhibitors, diuretics, or beta-blockers) could lead to dangerously high potassium levels, a condition known as hyperkalemia. Symptoms include nausea, weakness, heart arrhythmia, and fatigue. If you're taking blood pressure medications, talk with your health-care provider before adding potassium supplements.

The best way to to ensure you're getting enough potassium is to consume rich sources, supplements are not always optimal. A few examples of potassium-rich produce include:
Figs, avocado, sun dreid tomatoes, pistachios, apriocots, winter squash (had some tonight, roasted with olive oil and garlic!), almonds, pumpkin kernels, bananas, peaches, pumpkin, green leafy vegetables, like swiss chard and kale, spinach, orange juice, nuts in general, beans of any kind.

You can take potassium supplements, and with NK limiting veggies you may need to consider to keep the pH in balance — but increasing fruit and vegetable intake also provides a long list of healthful nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, and fiber. If you have high blood pressure, six key nutrients that anyone with high blood pressure should consider taking:
• Potassium: is very helpful for lowering blood pressure, as well as for proper muscle function. Recommended up to 4,000 mg per day, but most of that should come from food sources. In addition, you may want to take supplements. These are typically sold in 99 mg capsules or tablets. 99 mg twice per day, 2 total per day.
•Magnesium: 350 to 500 mg per day for most folks; this mineral is heart healthy, helps boost healthy glucose metabolism, protects and enhances nerve function, and supports healthy cell membranes. It is alsohelpful for muscle relaxation, reduces headaches, and aids those with disturbed sleep patterns. Good sources of magnesium include almonds, Brazil nuts, artichokes, and spinach. My favorite heart doc told me this week that the magnesium chloride is best, but I can't find that one available locally....the other -ate ones are good too.
•Calcium: 1,000 to 1,500 mg per day
•Omega-3 fatty acids: 2 to 4 grams of fish oil per day
•Vitamin D: 1,500 IU per day
•CoQ10: 100 to 200 mg per day (get the right kind...ubquinol)
* Vitamin C -- A major 10 year study showed that the lower the levels of Vit C, the higher a person's BP and risk of stroke. On esudy found that taking as little as 250 mg of Vit C daily slashed the risk of high BP by almost half. That said, 1000mg a day is usually recommended for base line health. Which is also valuable for anti-aging, it protects our telomeres! And it fights infections.

Buffy, any kind is usually great, I get the 1000mg capsule when I can find, or the pressed capsule. I do not like the chewables one, sour oh-my! And they have 1-2 carbs each!

Be sure to remember to check with your physician if you are taking any medications that may have counter-indicators with any supplements! Call the nurse, she can give you quick-time! You can also go to the website of the company making the medications, they provide all that fun stuff too!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #807
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post

Buffy...I started NK a week before you and the last few days I've had the same situation. Today I had bacon for breakfast and then didn't eat or think of food until 3:30 PM...did not want to eat, but knew I should. I also seem to start yawning and falling asleep sitting up watching TV before dinner and/or after. I have been going to bed early and reading and falling asleep, and I also get 8 hours of solid sleep. I figure it's the time change catching up with me and the dark dark afternoons that used to be sunny and bright. I hope we both adjust. I hope it's temporary, but you aren't alone. I did B injections and they did nothing for me...hope you have better luck. The sublingual B12's seem to work for me, but I'm out. And I have my "Happy Lite" that is for SAD and maybe I need to get that out in the mornings and early afternoons and see if that helps. Don't know what to tell you. But I feel the same way, so you are not alone.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #808
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jacqui
new and really needing support

Hi you all

i really need support and probably help,

i have been overweight all my life and tried any diet, after lots of reading decided to stop eating carbs as much as possible and been doing it for three months, at the beggining it was great, i AM feeling great, i am eating less, i feel energetic, i dont have cravings anymore, i dont binge, just wonderful...

BUT, i am not losing any weight for some weeks now, and i am starting to feel sad, and thinking that maybe is all the fat i am eating, that maybe i should starve my self?

i have read that people sort of melt when they stop eating sugars and carbs but it is not happening to me...

any support/help/advice?????

thanks!!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #809
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Buffy...I started NK a week before you and the last few days I've had the same situation. Today I had bacon for breakfast and then didn't eat or think of food until 3:30 PM...did not want to eat, but knew I should. I also seem to start yawning and falling asleep sitting up watching TV before dinner and/or after. I have been going to bed early and reading and falling asleep, and I also get 8 hours of solid sleep. I figure it's the time change catching up with me and the dark dark afternoons that used to be sunny and bright. I hope we both adjust. I hope it's temporary, but you aren't alone. I did B injections and they did nothing for me...hope you have better luck. The sublingual B12's seem to work for me, but I'm out. And I have my "Happy Lite" that is for SAD and maybe I need to get that out in the mornings and early afternoons and see if that helps. Don't know what to tell you. But I feel the same way, so you are not alone.
Thank you so much Shelley, sounds like we are going through exactly the same thing at the same time. I did read one thing last night that might be part of my problem, and, you mentioned another.
I take prescription potassium per my Dr. and on my last test, 4 weeks into LC I tested normal. But, due to leg cramps, I added more. Read last night that if you are on certain BP meds, you should not overdo the potassium because it can cause your BP to go too low, which just might have been what was happening to me. So, I am going to back off the extra, eat more salt if needed for the cramps, and see if I don't feel better. I didn't sleep nearly as sound last night and woke up before 7:00, ready to get up so that was promising.
And, your post reminded me, I have a SAD light, would be a good time to get it out and use it. Going to try these 2 things this week and see if it makes a difference.
I sure hope you find a solution as well.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:03 AM   #810
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
About how many calories are you eating? And how much protein grams?
Red, I haven't been logging every day this past week, just too tired but just know it was a struggle to get much food down. going to log today and as I posted to Shelley, I might have found my problem in too much postassium for my BP meds.
Closed Thread