Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #421
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Way to go on your loss Becky!!

Wow everyone is doing so great. All you guys are quitting smoking and losing weight. This is a great thread to be on.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #422
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
I agree Cheryl, so many positive things going on here on our thread!!! Love it!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmsWay View Post
LOVE it!!! I've got quite a long ways to catch up with you, but I'll get there in time.
Yes you WILL! I was over 200lbs and tried every weight loss pill and program and low carb saved me!!!
I think we're the lucky ones, so many people have been brainwashed to think fat is bad for you, it's sad knowing thousands are struggling to lose weight while eating practically nothing and here we are eating delicous foods with REAL butter and are on our way to great health.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #424
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Oceana !!amen...
Old 11-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #425
Senior LCF Member

OH!! I really want to share this AWESOME tip...

Maybe some of you know about this already? I saw this somewhere online and thought I'd give it a shot.
We have chickens so we get fresh eggs everyday. And if you use fresh eggs you know how HARD they are to peel.
Put a tsp of baking soda in the water before boiling.
My stepmom and I were skeptical as I peeled the first egg but the shell slipped right off!!!
It was almost silly how excited we were after peeling each egg (12 eggs)

I encourage you to try this if you boil your eggs.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #426
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Thanks Oceana, I will try that for sure! I hate peeling hard-to-peel eggs. And if that works on fresh eggs just think how well it will work on store eggs!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #427
Major LCF Poster!

Great idea .i use a elec.egg cooker and they peel good doing that to.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #428
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: geogeo
WOE: NK
Great egg tip, Oceana! (btw, I just finished reading 1984 last week, so I knew the reference Darin made re your name. Pretty name!)

I love the local pastured eggs I get. Wish I had my own chickens!

I boil lots of them, and you are right about how hard they are to peel. I don't bother peeling. Just crack around the middle by tapping with a spoon, break egg in half and scoop out with a spoon. mmmmm Had 3 for lunch today like that.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #429
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Add a little salt to the water to help prevent cracking while they boil
Old 11-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #430
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Wow Cheryl, you are down after your birthday! That is fantastic!
Becky, good number down! Been there with you on the $$ spent for nothing. Docs aren't taught much nutrition in med school, sad.

Thanks Nicki, I will make the salmon dip this weekend. I hardly use a recipe for anything either! Gave my DDs recipes and got calls back..."Mom, how much of this, what temp to cook at, what order do you combine"....so I had to sit back down and add that "important" information! I am working on a family recipe book for both of them, with stories, and special notes; maybe by next Christmas! I have my family book, back to 1700s. It's very cool! Nicki, I went very low carb for a long time, several years back...I did drop quickly at that point. My only carbs were sweeteners. I know have no clue if I could do that again...and Red is correct on the CoQ10, get only the ubiquinol type.

Pinky, my DH came onboard, after 15 years of watching me! Slow learner?? He came gradually, by steps; now is totally sold. Lost nearly 40 lbs...which is on low side at this point. First was sugar and sweet, gotta start with something. One week later, he drops the wheat, and well, very easy for him. All this labs are normal now.

Ella, you have a good point, I remember that was a turning point of not being obsessed with food! Good thing to remember.

Buffy, you are doing so good, even if you think it's slow...I am waiting for the 6 month adaption and hoping that I have Sandy's good fortune with the BHRT! And Sandy, you are correct, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

We are with you Oceana! Every day is a new day! Baking Soda?? Thanks for the tip, we boil 2 dozen eggs every weekend and stand there peeling....aarrggghhhh!

Geogeo, what a good idea to just break it in half and scoop it out. I hate peeling eggs!

ct
Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #431
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thinking_thinly
Stats: 250/145/140
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Nov 15, 2012
I just want to thank those of you who have offered your kind words and encouragement! I go to college and work full time, so thanking everyone individually is hard at times! I am tooooooooooootally embracing this WOE and can't thank you all enough for being so supportive to me/everyone else!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #432
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome thinly, good night all.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #433
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning ya'll

Well, I checked this morning and I am at 191.5 so about 6 pounds up from my lowest.

I've probably been in my calorie window more often than not. I think the initial pig-fest and exit from NK caused the gain and the last several days of constant sunflower seeds in my mouth has maintained it despite being in the NK range for macros. Protein is up a little on some days too so that could be contributing.

Although I am not eating very much amount-wise or weight-wise of actual seeds, I think that the practically non-stop drip drop of seeds into my stomach is keeping the system askew.

Gonna try to moderate my sunflower seed mouth satiety thing.

Still. About 15 pounds down from where I was stuck at for all those months
Old 11-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #434
Blabbermouth!!!

Well well well.

I installed PinguyOS on both laptops yesterday. I like it. I liked it right off the bat or I wouldn't have done it on these two computers.

So far I have thoroughly enjoyed my little foray into the world of Linux through Ubuntu. I've tried: Ubuntu, ZorinOS, Mint, Puppy, and now PinguyOS. This laptop had ZorinOS, the other laptop had Mint and the desktop has Mint.

A few days ago I tried out a lot of different desktop environments: Gnome, cinnamon, mint, xfce, kde, lxde, gnome panel, e17, unity, and maybe one or two more. That is a very cool thing about Linux - you can really revamp the look of your user interface. Much more flexible than Windows along those lines.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:43 AM   #435
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Morning all! Hope a great weekend is in store for us.

TT, I am so glad you are having a great start with this. My DD2 is doing FT healthcare job and college; she is LC and thank goodness, it has her energy high. I know you can do this, stick with us!

Red, I am going to have to find these software applications and play. You make them sound like fun! Do you have your systems (both stations) linked? Your numbers are really good for all you have gone through, and congrats on clearing 30 days smoke-free. that is a huge accomplishment!

Heading out to work in the garden, hoping for rain, we are dry as a bone this fall. ct
Old 11-10-2012, 05:45 AM   #436
Major LCF Poster!

Your doing great Red!

My weight this am was 162.
Hubby grilled last night so I ate well

I still miss my gum, I love chomping on it all day.

I hope everyone here has a wonderful Saturday.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #437
Major LCF Poster!

Oh yeah I was goona telly you guys...
I used to have Gallbladder attacks when I was on low fat. Amazing, I haven't had a bit of broblems since being low carb, high fat. Anyone else experienced that??
Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #438
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Morning all! Hope a great weekend is in store for us.

TT, I am so glad you are having a great start with this. My DD2 is doing FT healthcare job and college; she is LC and thank goodness, it has her energy high. I know you can do this, stick with us!

Red, I am going to have to find these software applications and play. You make them sound like fun! Do you have your systems (both stations) linked? Your numbers are really good for all you have gone through, and congrats on clearing 30 days smoke-free. that is a huge accomplishment!

Heading out to work in the garden, hoping for rain, we are dry as a bone this fall. ct
It has been dry here too. Pilot Mountain has been on fire for a couple of days. We need rain. The wind is supposed to die down today so They are hoping to get it under control.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #439
Blabbermouth!!!

They are fun if you are geeky as heck otherwise they are a big pain in the butt lol.

No, the 3 computers are not really networked the way you are describing - you can't 'see' them from each other. But I have found that I hardly ever need to see the other computers from whatever one I am sitting at. That was true when all of them had Windows on them too.

With services like DropBox and UbuntuOne you don't need to be networked 99.99% of the time.

Now if your situation is that you need to access really big files from several computers that'd be different and you'd need that sort of network access across computers on the home network and probably have a dedicated network storage device. But that is a pretty unusual situation. Even old technology like USB drives solve the occasional need to sneakernet a big file physically across the room.

With the sort of storage space modern cell phones have and the bluetooth and WiFi technology they all have you can use your phone like a USB drive for moving files around too when needed in a pinch.

Ah. I am *not* at 30 days yet. I was saying that I was sure I was but I was a week short lol. Feels like forever! Today is day 23
Old 11-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #440
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh and I forgot the very convenient email alternative. That is what I usually do if I need something real quick that isn't huge in size - I just email it to myself and then check email on the other computer.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #441
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Well well well.

I installed PinguyOS on both laptops yesterday. I like it. I liked it right off the bat or I wouldn't have done it on these two computers.

So far I have thoroughly enjoyed my little foray into the world of Linux through Ubuntu. I've tried: Ubuntu, ZorinOS, Mint, Puppy, and now PinguyOS. This laptop had ZorinOS, the other laptop had Mint and the desktop has Mint.

A few days ago I tried out a lot of different desktop environments: Gnome, cinnamon, mint, xfce, kde, lxde, gnome panel, e17, unity, and maybe one or two more. That is a very cool thing about Linux - you can really revamp the look of your user interface. Much more flexible than Windows along those lines.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #442
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning all.
Thinly, glad you are totally into this WOE now. It tickles me b/c you were so determined to be a rebel about it the first day or two, but that's ok, when you find something as good as this, it is hard to be a rebel.

I haven't seen a loss this week but also, have not seen more than a 1 lb bounce up and down all week, which is a good sign. Gets a little boring though, , I am ready for the excitement of a new low!!!! Last night had a "lot" of crab legs which also means a lot of sodium, maybe when that flushes away I will see a new low.

Have a birthday party to go to tonight, but heard they are having some type of chicken dish and a big salad, among other things, so I can eat those 2 things and I always go to gatherings already full, so I am not really tempted.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #443
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Ah. I am *not* at 30 days yet. I was saying that I was sure I was but I was a week short lol. Feels like forever! Today is day 23
Still doing great Red, we are all proud of you! And, I think it is pretty amazing that your weight is just up a little bit, most people I know who quit smoking just pack on the weight at first, I think being LC has really helped you avoid that.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #444
Blabbermouth!!!

Here is what my PinguyOS desktop looks like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsgduz6xvv...desktoppic.jpg

Last edited by reddarin; 11-10-2012 at 10:01 AM..
Old 11-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #445
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
Hi all! I've been lurking on this thread for a bit as I figure out all of the proportions for carbs to fat and all of that good stuff. (I've really just been tracking carbs so this is all new to me. I am hoping it will get less time consuming!)

Two questions I'm hoping someone can help with:
I did a search as I'm sure this has been asked a million times but didn't find a good answer. What are you all using to figure out the nutrients in your recipes? I know some use ****** but I went to that site and can't figure out how to use it for anything except daily tracking.

And are you tracking total carbs or net carbs here?

Thank you!!
Kelly
Old 11-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #446
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalatraza View Post
Hi all! I've been lurking on this thread for a bit as I figure out all of the proportions for carbs to fat and all of that good stuff. (I've really just been tracking carbs so this is all new to me. I am hoping it will get less time consuming!)

Two questions I'm hoping someone can help with:
I did a search as I'm sure this has been asked a million times but didn't find a good answer. What are you all using to figure out the nutrients in your recipes? I know some use ****** but I went to that site and can't figure out how to use it for anything except daily tracking.

And are you tracking total carbs or net carbs here?

Thank you!!
Kelly
Hi Kelly

Total carbs.

Google 'nutritional calculator' or 'recipe calculator'.

I use a recipe calculator and then create a custom food with ****** but it'd be a lot easier to just use a site that has the calculator in the first place. I've been using ****** too long to switch.

Or I just put individual ingredients in the log and not mess with the custom food creation depending on what it is.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #447
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi to Kelly
I use total carbs too but if they seem pretty high, I will glance at the fiber to check out why. Like today, had half an avocado so that pushes the carb count up but good fats and fiber.

The program I use does have a recipe calculator and or, you can put in the ind ingreds and save as a group if it is something you will be eating often. I can't link per LCF rules.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #448
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Haha glad I'm not the only one
Old 11-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #449
Senior LCF Member

Hi Kelly

Red, great job on quitting smoking and again, thanks for the inspiration!! I think that's another reason why I started eating a little off plan.
But I lost 1.4lbs since yesterday just eating eggs and steak yumm!! I'm gonna do this for a few more days to make sure my cravings go away completely!

I want to share something sad with you guys cause I feel like you're the only ones that I can even talk to about this.
So last night my stepmom says to me that I need to stop dieting. I told her I don't diet and I've eaten this way for almost years now (she knows this) she goes on to say that I starve myself and then eat like a HORSE sometimes. Even tho I know that's not at all true, anyone that's struggled with weight there whole life knows how much words like that hurt!!! She went on and on and just kept saying even more hurtful things I'm assuming all because I told her I ate a brownie when I was sick the other day.

This is coming from a lady that has had a eating disorder her whole life and won't eat for days at a time (just drink vodka) she will go to the store and spend hundreds on cakes, ice-cream, chips and such. She gets her kicks by watching everyone else eat it!
I didn't think it would even phase me but I haven't felt this sad in a long time! She said I had major self image problems and that I'm not "disgusting fat" like a lot of women she sees. It makes me sick someone can even talk like that! Oh and she's saying all of this in front of my boyfriend.
I love my body, I loved it when I was 170. I'm striving for health, NOT to be skinny!!
I've never felt so low about myself! It's weird I let it get to me. Maybe it's because this is someone who is supposed to be supporting me and should understand cause she hasn't touched a carb or sugar in years! Sorry for rambling but I HAD to tell someone!
Old 11-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #450
Big Yapper!!!!

Wow Oceana, sounds like she had a really bad day and had to leash out at someone and it happened to be you. That is so bad to talk to someone that way. Sorry it happened but remember, it was probably some issue she was having, you just happened to be in her path!
Closed Thread