Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #391
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Well helloooo everyone

So I completely MESSED up and ate off plan for a few days off and on. I tried to see if eating certain foods would make me feel better and I felt even worse!! what's weird is I already knew that wasn't a good idea, yet I did it anyway
So I am gonna do somewhat of an egg fast the next few days and try to get back in ketosis.

I will start posting back in this thread once I'm worthy and have my stuff together! UGH I was doing so good and now I gained 5lbs!!! I don't think it's all fat but at least a few pounds is.
I wouldn't mind so much but I feel uncomfortably big around my stomach and embarrassed I didn't stop and get back on plan right away! I've done strict LC for over a year without a problem! Idk?

So tomorrows a new day, a healthy new day!! I'll be back soon I hope

Oh and I bought some HCG still not too sure about it tho...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #392
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizgurl View Post
Well helloooo everyone

So I completely MESSED up and ate off plan for a few days off and on. I tried to see if eating certain foods would make me feel better and I felt even worse!! what's weird is I already knew that wasn't a good idea, yet I did it anyway
So I am gonna do somewhat of an egg fast the next few days and try to get back in ketosis.

I will start posting back in this thread once I'm worthy and have my stuff together! UGH I was doing so good and now I gained 5lbs!!! I don't think it's all fat but at least a few pounds is.
I wouldn't mind so much but I feel uncomfortably big around my stomach and embarrassed I didn't stop and get back on plan right away! I've done strict LC for over a year without a problem! Idk?

Aha! I knew it!! Well. I didn't really know it. I did suspect it though. Well. I didn't really suspect it. Okay. I had no idea!

Don't run off. The time to post to the thread is now. The best way to get back on plan is to interact with other people on plan.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #393
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindawell8 View Post
Thanks Buffy, I truly want to do this. But I can put fat on my thighs and butt faster than anybody you have ever see. That is always the last place I loose. So it scares me if I think it is coming back on.

Red saw you on another forum. I still think you know best. So please keep giving us advice.
No worries! I unsubbed from that thread.

I wouldn't worry too much about the tape measure at least for the short term. You are losing weight on the scale, right? Scale going down but tape going up is an anomaly. It will either resolve itself with the scale going up to match the tape or the tape going down to match the scale movement.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #394
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Aha! I knew it!! Well. I didn't really know it. I did suspect it though. Well. I didn't really suspect it. Okay. I had no idea!

Don't run off. The time to post to the thread is now. The best way to get back on plan is to interact with other people on plan.

Haha okaaaay you talked me into it! I'll keep posting now

Thanks Red!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #395
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Yes, the worst thing you can do when you fall off plan is to quit posting, it happens to everyone once in a while, it's not like we don't understand.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #396
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Well helloooo everyone

Don't beat yourself up. You will get back on track. Be good to yourself. You are already worthy
Old 11-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #397
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
TT - you may be dumping some water, but you are likely losing fat too! Everyone adapts at different speeds! As long as it's down, it's a score! Have you tried making your own mayo? Yummy stuff.

Darin - you are my hero! I have never seen that button on the left before this moment! I will still use my e-post-it notes, they are so easy, but I can use the cute little smileys! Hoping I am not the only person to ever miss this!

Nicki, share the salmon dip recipe! I am loving salmon all over again. I got some full fat cottage cheese and oh my it is great, years and years of the low fat stuff, DH wouldn't even eat it!

Buffy, you make me laugh, thank you! I feel like your DD with the pile on at work. We haven't replaced many folks that have left in two years. I carry three titles now, same paycheck, long hours. Health care is holding our breath for Reform....didya hear that St Luke's in Houston is on the block for sale??? The #1 Heart hospital in the country. Shock waves....!

Linda you are gaining confidence, I can hear it! Yeah for low sugars! When I have water retention it hits my waist...so I remember that Buffy says to do the "ring" check, so that usually makes me calm down....they are usually tight, and then I remember I likely ate too much bacon or sausage the day before.

Pinky, so glad you are doing better. you will get back in the swing fast. Toast was always the only thing I could eat when sick; now I stick to chicken soup and mango green tea. Your loss is fantastic!

Ahhhh, Cheryl, DH sounds cute! Mothers that cook on your WOE -- priceless!

Oceana, none of that business, you are welcomed regardless of anything! Don't be so hard on yourself. We all need to learn not to punish ourselves....especially when sick! Just start again when you are ready. I really cannot do either the CO or MCT drinking with anything....
Old 11-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

Darrin, You rock. You really know your stuff!
And thank you for telling me I can eat MORE calories and lose weight.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:24 AM   #399
Major LCF Poster!

weight this am 160.5
Old 11-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
yes Cheryl that is great!!!,

Down .2 this morning,we are all rocking on losing weight!
I meet a lady at the hair salon and was telling her about my weight lost and co she e mailed me said she asked her Dr about it..guess what her Dr told her??it real bad for you,but it's great for the skin.....hummmm.she was very heavy lady I hope she research more .it was so bad for me lower my cholesterol .just don't understand !,,I have no faith in Dr any more,my insurance spent thousand of dollars to find out what was wrong with me and I came home and found the answer my self..sugar,wheat,gluten ???hummmmm....maybe I should charge insurance co...o not I got healthy that's payment enough.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #401
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
weight this am 160.5
Hooray!! Congrats!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #402
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Down .2 this morning,we are all rocking on losing weight!
Congrats!!!

Best thing you can do for that lady is get her to read Why We Get Fat by Taubes
Old 11-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #403
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Red.i sent her a that info...
Old 11-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #404
Major LCF Poster!

Oceana you are in the right place so much help here!!and we all care and been there to.its like if you never been there you don't understand ,buy we have been there and still go there.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #405
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Nicki, share the salmon dip recipe! I am loving salmon all over again. I got some full fat cottage cheese and oh my it is great, years and years of the low fat stuff, DH wouldn't even eat it!

Unfortunately, I don't cook to recipe.....I eyeball EVERYTHING, so all i can do is give you the ingredients.... pretty simple really.

smoked salmon (i purchased two pkgs from the fresh counter at the store)
block and a half of cream cheese
sour cream (maybe a cup and a half)
garlic powder to taste
salt to taste
onion powder to taste
black pepper
fresh chives
fresh parsley
paprika

threw it all in the food processor and let er rip
Old 11-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #406
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pinky45
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Cheryl...congrats on the loss!
I am back on plan and feeling so good again! I wish I could get my hubby on board with this way of eating. He has high blood pressure and high cholesterol and is on medication for both. My doctor told me to never go on those statins! And now they are discovering how bad they are for you in the long run. Well, if I keep doing so well and have good results then perhaps hubby will think, "hmmm...maybe I should try it!" I am hoping!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #407
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Friday!
Well I jumped on the scale this morning and ....... I weight EXACTLY the same as I did when I quit smoking 10 days ago. Not too bad IMO, at least I've not gained. Time to buckle down and drop this weight though. I've got this smoking thing whipped so now I can concentrate on my diet.

Question: Has anyone in here essentially gone zero carb (or as close as you can get)....meat, eggs & fat for their complete diet for any length of time? I was curious if that approach could be used successfully for the majority of my weightloss and then add in a few carbs later? I should be able to get into deep ketosis and stay there without any problems. Any suggestions/pros/cons? Thanks in advance!

Today -
B - 3 bacon, 2 eggs, coffee w/CO
L - hot chicken salad w/cheese
D - turkey & mayo
coffee and water to drink
Old 11-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #408
Blabbermouth!!!

If you can break the wheat addiction then LC is a very guy friendly way of eating and living.

Steak, eggs, cheese, tasty fat, a small selection of some very good veggies, real butter, real heavy whipping cream, real ice cream (homemade of course), real dark chocolate, no hard limit on calories (with the asterisk that it is possible to overeat of course). The list goes on and on.

I admit that the thought of giving up bread and traditional pizza crust is hard to get a guy's head around but it is not impossible. And there are wheat bread alternatives that taste good.

Sugar depends on the guy. I was already almost completely sugar free most of the time before I went LC.

I tell you what though, everything is just talk until real eye opening facts are presented in a persuasive way. Get him to read Why We Get Fat and Wheat Belly. Taubes and Dr. Davis are excellent at communicating the issue.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #409
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pinky45
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Thanks Red...I would like to read those two books myself!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #410
Blabbermouth!!!

Getting into and staying in Ketosis is not 100% about the carbs although it is impossible to achieve without carb control.

That is how nutritional ketosis was born. Phinney, et. al., recognized that simply restricting carbs, while very healthy in and of itself and usually a path to weight loss, was not the whole picture. Protein must be moderated and fat must be the majority of caloric intake.

Essentially what we are pursuing here and in the other NK thread.

So, having said all of that, sure! Just make sure you are supplementing and toss the veggies to the side. You can probably get to 10g of less total carbs a day with concerted effort.

Others around here do it for at least short periods of time under the umbrella of what Atkins called the Fat Fast. You can search the site for ideas on how those people cut carbs to as close to zero as they could.

I think Shelley did it for a couple of weeks or more continually. Ivy has experience with it. I've done it before too but it was so long ago I don't remember specifics other than being jazzed that I wasn't hungry.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #411
Major LCF Poster!

Nicki.years ago I had seizure and my Dr put me on a meat and egg diet.i was on it 6 mo,I only ate meat and eggs no coffee no soda no anything except meat and eggs and water,did not cheat one time lost 50 lbs went from size 18 to 6 I had no carbs..but now I stay under 20 carbs and added co ,hwc,and I'm losing about the same ..I stick to carbs like cucumber ,salads,not ever day but 3-4 times a week,if I eat some veg.i slow weight.
Yesterday I had no veg,but today I will have some.im not a veg or fruit person.so I could live off meat only for the rest of my life...when I get to goal I might add a little more veg,and fruit ever once a while.hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #412
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmsWay View Post
Happy Friday!

Question: Has anyone in here essentially gone zero carb (or as close as you can get)....meat, eggs & fat for their complete diet for any length of time? I was curious if that approach could be used successfully for the majority of my weightloss and then add in a few carbs later? I should be able to get into deep ketosis and stay there without any problems. Any suggestions/pros/cons? Thanks in advance!
That's how I lost 90 pounds in 8 months a couple of years ago. Zero carbs hard to do but definitely was in single digits. I felt great and the weight came off easily. I probably only got 700 to 1100 calories in daily (which isn't much lower from what I do now) and felt great mentally and physically. I wasn't intentionally eating that low, that's just how my hunger directed me. I remember many times getting ready to leave the house for several hours and thinking "oh, shoot! I forgot to eat anything today!" I never thought I'd be one of those that forgot to eat!

I would imagine you could do meat, eggs and fat and just eat up to whatever calorie level you want adding butter, coconut oil, etc. I essentially ate chicken thighs, eggs and bacon. I didn't get bored with it because I was no longer obsessed with food and only ate because I was hungry. A couple of months ago I looked back on my food logs from that time and noticed that I was essentially eating NK even though I hadn't even heard of it at the time - my protein was indeed moderate and carb next to nothing.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #413
Major LCF Poster!

Red - Becky - Ella
Thanks....I'm leaning towards giving it a shot for awhile. I'll allow myself veggies say on the holidays, but as a regular rule I'm gonna drop them. Right now I take a daily, fish oil + D3, and magnesium. I think I'll pick up some potassium this weekend. I'll let you know how things go.

I never in a million years would have thought that I could quit smoking (thanks again Red for the inspiration). Being successful at that has made me realize that I can be successful in other areas of my life. Weight loss has always been hard for me to stick with...I've yo-yo'd for over 10 years now. I think this time will be different...Hard to explain, but I'm almost calm about it and I'm mentally convinced that it's gonna happen. Over the past two weeks I've gone from "I Hope" to "I Will". Now it's just a matter of time. I've never felt this way & I have to tell you it's outstanding! Thanks for all of the shared knowledge and support!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #414
Blabbermouth!!!

You are probably missing a few supplements Nicki. Two stick out in particular - COq10 and a [edit oops you do take a multivitamin].

Check out this podcast on supplements: 'atlcx-26-dr-jonny-bowden'

I am glad you quit smoking too

I checked my calendar this morning thinking that it'd been at least 30 days since I quit. I was shocked to see it'd only been one day since the last time I checked not one week lol

Another podcast that I cannot remember off hand - the doc recommended krill oil because krill are very low on the food chain and therefore have the least amount of heavy metals to be removed for human consumption as a supplement.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #415
Major LCF Poster!

Nicki that's great!! I to feel the same way you do this is for life!!it makes. It easer when you no its a life change just not a diet..
Well got go help h make home made cookies for my craft show tommorrow for my ladies group so we can make money for our kids scholarships. And community projects.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #416
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Right now I take a daily, fish oil + D3, and magnesium. I think I'll pick up some potassium this weekend. I'll let you know how things go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
You are probably missing a few supplements Nicki. Two stick out in particular - COq10 and a multivitamin.

Check out this podcast on supplements: 'atlcx-26-dr-jonny-bowden'

I am glad you quit smoking too

I checked my calendar this morning thinking that it'd been at least 30 days since I quit. I was shocked to see it'd only been one day since the last time I checked not one week lol

Another podcast that I cannot remember off hand - the doc recommended krill oil because krill are very low on the food chain and therefore have the least amount of heavy metals to be removed for human consumption as a supplement.
Sorry Red - I should have been more clear. I currently take a daily multivit. I'll check into the COq10. Not sure of the benefits, but I've got time to do some research today. I'll also take a look at the other suggestions you've made. You can never have too much info. Thanks again!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #417
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning everyone!!
Congrats going out to our non-smokers who have kicked their cigarettes out for good!!! And, whoo hoo Nicki for doing it and not gaining any weight, that is almost unheard of!!! Red, I am so proud of you too, I know you had a strong strong long going relationship with your cigarettes. The only thing is, I miss you being on here as much as you were when you were smoking, but, if it takes not hanging out here as much to keep you off the smokes, then we will deal with that.

Becky and Cheryl, great on the new lows!!! KUTGW!

Back when I was LC before, before I became diabetic, I did try to do almost zero carb, but back then I could not lose, no matter what I tried. I found it boring as I like to make and eat different things but it isn't really hard to do. I don't eat much in the way of veggies anyway, don't feel like I "have" to have them everyday. Most of my carbs come from avocado, or pumpkin, or when I make LC recipes. I still stay below 20 most days and if I get upwards towards 30, it will be days when I glace at fiber and it might be 10-11 or so.

I am staying right in the 194-195 range all of this week which makes me happy, I know a new low is coming, but I do lose slowly. Probably would lose just a teeny bit faster, maybe, if I ate more simply but I do like to experiment with making the LC recipes and right now, would rather have the variety then lose faster. All I want is better health and to see that weight chart with the downward trend.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #418
Senior LCF Member

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!!!

I guess I needed some encouragment cause I feel so much better this morning! It's a great feeling getting support from people that have gone through what I am now so thanks everyone! It's just what I needed.

As of this morning I weigh 148.4 :/
crazy how just a week of eating on and off plan can really effect my weight.
I ate a deviled egg this morning and am craving my good low carb foods
I will report my menu and weight everyday for accountability.

Happy Friday everyone
Old 11-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #419
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Red - Becky - Ella
Thanks....I'm leaning towards giving it a shot for awhile. I'll allow myself veggies say on the holidays, but as a regular rule I'm gonna drop them. Right now I take a daily, fish oil + D3, and magnesium. I think I'll pick up some potassium this weekend. I'll let you know how things go.

I never in a million years would have thought that I could quit smoking (thanks again Red for the inspiration). Being successful at that has made me realize that I can be successful in other areas of my life. Weight loss has always been hard for me to stick with...I've yo-yo'd for over 10 years now. I think this time will be different...Hard to explain, but I'm almost calm about it and I'm mentally convinced that it's gonna happen. Over the past two weeks I've gone from "I Hope" to "I Will". Now it's just a matter of time. I've never felt this way & I have to tell you it's outstanding! Thanks for all of the shared knowledge and support!
I'm right there with you. We can do it together.
I'm starting today, eating lots of eggs and then maybe steak for dinner tonight.
I also quit smoking because of Red's inspiration
Life is good with LCF!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #420
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm right there with you. We can do it together.
I'm starting today, eating lots of eggs and then maybe steak for dinner tonight.
I also quit smoking because of Red's inspiration
Life is good with LCF!
LOVE it!!! I've got quite a long ways to catch up with you, but I'll get there in time.
Closed Thread