Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #331
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindawell8 View Post
But Red said you have to do resistance exercise and I have just been doing the treadmill, bike, and stepper thing. So going for the gusto. And I believe Red really knows what he is talking about. So here goes.
Dr. Phinney et. al. said it in The Art & Science of Low Carb Living

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #332
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
Also ccongrats to Becky and Thinkthinly for your loss. I know Red you get all your info from a good source. But I am not a good studier. So everything I am learning is from these sites. And I know who to listen too. So I appreciate all your info.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #333
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
Good Morning!!!

B - coffee w/CO, sausage/egg/cheese scramble
L - chicken salad (unless hubby takes me out)
D - pan fried cod, smoke salmon dip

coffee & water, maybe some iced tea

I took the time to figure out my ratios/grams to shoot for last night....WHOA have I been overeating on the protein!!! lol Might take me a bit to get it dialed down to the correct amounts. I'm a big eater, so laying off the protein and upping the fat just to get within my calorie range looks tough. Today is as good a day as any to start working on it....cravings have reduced dramatically and my B-Day is always a good day to start something new!
Old 11-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #334
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Harms, yes, it takes a while for us to first of all, figure out our needs, then secondly, put them to work. Many people were used to eating way more protein, and then like me, I have to really work to get mine high enough. Since I have become diabetic, I just don't have the appetite for meat like I used to. Are you logging your food into a program like ****** that figures things for you, that is helpful.

And
Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #335
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Also ccongrats to Becky and Thinkthinly for your loss. I know Red you get all your info from a good source. But I am not a good studier. So everything I am learning is from these sites. And I know who to listen too. So I appreciate all your info.
Yes, I prefer to let Red go to class, do all the homework, take notes, cram for exams and then I just copy off his work . So far it seems to be working out for me JUST FINE!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #336
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmsWay View Post
and my B-Day is always a good day to start something new!
Happy Birthday Nicki!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #337
Blabbermouth!!!

heh it is a good thing I enjoy reading so much
Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #338
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Afternoon all.
My weight was 161.5 this am, that is back to my low

Becky I am doing ok w/o gum but it is hard.
I have had a rough day today, 1 of the kiddies has been a real ummm... challenge today and I woke up with a headache. BUT Nothing a big fat greasy burger won't cure

Harms way ahppy BDay, Another Scorpio, mine is tomorrow.

Buffy I can't wait to see how your cholesterol is, the dr will be amazed I bet. Congrats on your new low.

Linda, I think Red know his stuff too, he sure is a God send to us.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #339
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Yes, I prefer to let Red go to class, do all the homework, take notes, cram for exams and then I just copy off his work . So far it seems to be working out for me JUST FINE!
I love the way you think Buffy.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #340
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
I feel that way to Cheryl. And happy birthday Nicki. The only trouble I am having is not staying on the threads all day. I run and do something, then back to the threads. My husband laughs at me because I was a person never on the computor. Now I can get off.LOL But all of this is so interesting. And you people are so cool.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #341
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Harms, yes, it takes a while for us to first of all, figure out our needs, then secondly, put them to work. Many people were used to eating way more protein, and then like me, I have to really work to get mine high enough. Since I have become diabetic, I just don't have the appetite for meat like I used to. Are you logging your food into a program like ****** that figures things for you, that is helpful.

And
I use ******....I have been logging for weeks, I just never took the time to figure out my ratios. I wanted to get back in the swing of LC first, then stop smoking, now I'm ready to tweak things....I think.

Quote:
Totally Agree!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Happy Birthday Nicki!
Thanks Red!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #342
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Afternoon all.
My weight was 161.5 this am, that is back to my low

Harms way ahppy BDay, Another Scorpio, mine is tomorrow.
YAY on the low! And thanks! My dad's birthday is also tomorrow

Quote:
I feel that way to Cheryl. And happy birthday Nicki. The only trouble I am having is not staying on the threads all day. I run and do something, then back to the threads. My husband laughs at me because I was a person never on the computor. Now I can get off.LOL But all of this is so interesting. And you people are so cool.
Thanks! I have my own office at work, so its easy for me to work throughout the day and stay logged on here....pretty convenient!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #343
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I use ******....I have been logging for weeks, I just never took the time to figure out my ratios. I wanted to get back in the swing of LC first, then stop smoking, now I'm ready to tweak things....I think.

Totally Agree!!!!

Thanks Red!
Glad to have your name Nicki, now I can quit calling you Harms, or whatever I usually call you. But, the big trick is to remember it until I get used to it, can you put it in your siggy?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #344
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thinking_thinly
Stats: 250/145/140
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Nov 15, 2012
Quote:
thank you
Old 11-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #345
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Glad to have your name Nicki, now I can quit calling you Harms, or whatever I usually call you. But, the big trick is to remember it until I get used to it, can you put it in your siggy?
Done. Is it cute enough?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #346
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
nickiy
Old 11-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #347
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Morning! I almost always sleep in, now that I am semi-retired and set my own hours, I finally get to live by "my" clock, late to bed, late to rise!

Smokey, be careful stopping any meds cold turkey, go online and look up each drug or call your Dr. or pharmacy and ask about tapering off, etc. Some meds can have serious side effects if you go off suddenly. But, congrats on the good BP readings. And, this WOE will definitely help you with your sugar.

Becky, congrats on more loss, you little loser you . Stress can do awful things to our bodies.

SG, there are a couple of reasons I want to make my Dr. happy on the cholesterol numbers. I am on medicare now and many doctors won't take new patients who are on medicare, so if you have good ones, you want to hang on to them, and, I don't want it on my chart that I refused to cooperate for treatment, giving medicare or insurance any reason to deny coverage if I would have a stroke or heart attack. But, I am going to get a test done on my own here soon so I know if what I am already doing is helping. If not, Sandy's DH takes some supplements that really helped him and I will then start those.

My weight is back down to 194.2 so hoping to see a new low on the scales soon, velly velly soon
You have a good point Buffy....we have to protect our "reputation" on our medical records. And many doctors are heading out of Medicare, the regulations are killing us all! I'm just saying talk honestly with him, especially if your numbers are great! It would be illegal for them to deny you coverage in a crisis, it's the EMTALA Law. You are one smart lady, so I know you will get the care you need. You just cannot imagine how many patients will remain quiet and never ask questions....
Old 11-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #348
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi to all....

Happy Birthday Nicki! You are doing so good. I had to back off the protein too after a couple weeks, bought the cute little scale, started logging....not great at it.

Congrats Cheryl! I think a big fat greasy cheeseburger is my new "chocolate"..

Buffy, Labcorp will do labs without MD orders?? Maybe I can get my hormones checked there?

Sandy, did you have the saliva test done? The Pharmacist has a kit I am to pick up, then mail off and results will go to him. Wonder how long this all takes?

Linda, it's good to see you relaxing...I was a bit apprehensive at first too. The brain-training was not accepting this concept at all.

TT, sounds like a good start...!

Red, you are a great resource, I have not read the books you reference, but am tempted to get them and dive in. Maybe when work slows down (LOLFOTF!!)....or maybe it's just time to get them and dive in. do you have hardback or Kindle?

WTG Becky! I am convinced stress stalls us! I keep trying to reduce mine...

Gord, good news on the BP reading and reducing glucose numbers.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #349
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: geogeo
The labs here will only do tests with doctor's orders.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #350
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hi to all....

Happy Birthday Nicki! You are doing so good. I had to back off the protein too after a couple weeks, bought the cute little scale, started logging....not great at it.

Congrats Cheryl! I think a big fat greasy cheeseburger is my new "chocolate"..

Buffy, Labcorp will do labs without MD orders?? Maybe I can get my hormones checked there?

Sandy, did you have the saliva test done? The Pharmacist has a kit I am to pick up, then mail off and results will go to him. Wonder how long this all takes?

Linda, it's good to see you relaxing...I was a bit apprehensive at first too. The brain-training was not accepting this concept at all.

TT, sounds like a good start...!

Red, you are a great resource, I have not read the books you reference, but am tempted to get them and dive in. Maybe when work slows down (LOLFOTF!!)....or maybe it's just time to get them and dive in. do you have hardback or Kindle?

WTG Becky! I am convinced stress stalls us! I keep trying to reduce mine...

Gord, good news on the BP reading and reducing glucose numbers.
Thanks! BTW - you are my hero! You always manage to keep track of the thread and make a personal connection with everyone here! I tried once...had a great big huge reply I had typed out and POOF! deleted all of it....
Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #351
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
No I didn't do the saliva testing. I didn't really know about it back in 2002-03 when I started on the h-therapy but I can tell you that if I didn't feel good I wouldn't hesitate a minute to do the saliva testing. I figure at this point, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm feeling good, so I'm not going to mess with it.

The lab tests from healthcheckusa are ordered from a Dr. and you can even have a consult if you want one. Of course it's not a Dr. you ever see, but it's still ordered by a Dr. Which is fine by me. I mean, really why do you have to have a Dr. just to get a blood test? It's not like you can do anything with the results without a Dr even if you wanted to, right? But at least we can keep an eye on things as often as we want to with these tests that we can get whenever we want them. And they don't go on any medical record at all! Or insurance either!

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 11-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #352
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: smoky
Stats: Start weight 280/208/180
WOE: Type 2 Diabetic on - LCHF
Start Date: Re Start Oct 19 2013
[QUOTE=Buffy45;16063766]Morning! I almost always sleep in, now that I am semi-retired and set my own hours, I finally get to live by "my" clock, late to bed, late to rise!

Smokey, be careful stopping any meds cold turkey, go online and look up each drug or call your Dr. or pharmacy and ask about tapering off, etc. Some meds can have serious side effects if you go off suddenly. But, congrats on the good BP readings. And, this WOE will definitely help you with your sugar.

Thanks Buffy I am being careful am checking BP 3-4 times a day just checked and is at 117/79 I well keep a close eye on it. My BS has greatly improved was 6.2 2hrs after eating supper
Old 11-08-2012, 02:43 AM   #353
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Done. Is it cute enough?
Very!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:33 AM   #354
Major LCF Poster!

Morning all
My weight this am 161
That is a NEW LOW by .5
I really wanted to see 160 today but, I'll take it.

I felt bad all day yesterday. Hoping today will be better.
I am 2 days gum free.
Hope your all losers today
Old 11-08-2012, 04:52 AM   #355
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning all!

I had the hard bound Why We Get Fat and Wheat Belly but gave both of them away to help other people (they are such powerful books). I have the Art & Science of Living in Kindle form. I do not own the Performance book in any form (they refer to it in the other NK thread)

I tell you what though about Kindle versus physical form... Physical form wins hands down for just about any type of reading other than pleasure and even for pleasure reading the physical form is superior in most respects.

Kindle benefits:
  • Change font size.
  • Carry around a lot of books.
  • Occasionally cheaper.
  • Lots of free or $1 books.
  • Tons of public domain books in e-format.
  • Buy it and read it within 60 seconds.
  • A lot less likely to loose your place.
  • Can read some on your tablet or computer.

There may be some others but that is probably a pretty complete list. E-readers have also allowed amateur writers some awesome exposure that traditional print never allowed. I'm excited to see where that takes us.

Changing the font size and being able to carry around several books in 6oz (or whatever) is a powerful incentive for me. But...

Kindle drawbacks:
  • Hard to glance back several pages.
  • Hard to look-up footnotes.
  • Hard to glance at table of contents or index.
  • Hard to keep a sense of where you are in the book.
  • Hard to sticky note multiple pages.
  • Books don't run out of juice on their battery.
  • Kindle file system sucks.
  • Much harder to 'catch-up' on a book if you've set it down for a while before picking it up again.
  • E-highlighting sucks.
  • Can't make notes in the margins.
  • Can't add bangs (!!!!) on stuff that sticks out.
  • Not all e-books have page numbers to refer to for consistency between ephemeral and physical form.

In short, kindle sucks for study books in almost every way. Even for pleasure reading there are some very annoying drawbacks. And that file system is a crime. I can't tell you how many letters I've sent to the DOJ requesting an investigation and prosecution for the horrible file system. Come on!! How many years has Kindle been around now?!? Kindle OS is *nix so it is very, very flexible and shouldn't have most of those drawbacks.

Amazon's web interface, where you 'manage your kindle content', is laughable too in a pull your hair out laugh maniacally sort of way.

I have a serious love hate relationship with my Kindle lol. I do enjoy the dang thing. I'm glad I own it and I use it a lot. But for study books go with the physical form if possible. Or both forms I guess if money is no object or the book is singular and you'd like the convenience of e-form and the advantages of physical form.

And that is all I have to say about that.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #356
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Morning all
My weight this am 161
That is a NEW LOW by .5
I really wanted to see 160 today but, I'll take it.

I felt bad all day yesterday. Hoping today will be better.
I am 2 days gum free.
Hope your all losers today
Woohoo!! Congrats Cheryl!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:59 AM   #357
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks! BTW - you are my hero! You always manage to keep track of the thread and make a personal connection with everyone here! I tried once...had a great big huge reply I had typed out and POOF! deleted all of it....
Just on the by and by...

If I am doing a long or detailed reply I will usually use gedit or a text editor of some sort to make the reply. I can save it frequently and accidentally closing the file prompts me to save or cancel. Then I copy/paste it. It is so annoying to lose what you've typed with a crash or an errant click.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:02 AM   #358
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Harms way happy BDay, Another Scorpio, mine is tomorrow.
Happy Birthday Cheryl!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #359
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Cheryl !! Hope you have a great one...
That's great on the weight lost see the gum made a differts.

Can't believe it I was 166.2 down from 165.8 can this be for real!!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #360
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: geogeo
Good morning!

Totally agree with you Red about the Kindle. I love it for novels, but I really prefer paper books for reference since I like to flip back and forth so much.

Hmmm....ate too much and too late last night. Fasting BS was up (99, though my meter reads 10 points higher than lab) and Ketones down to .8 this morning.
Weight is up a bit too, though (sorry for TMI) it is day 3 of TOM.
Looks like the extra fat brought that back. strange
Closed Thread