Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thinking_thinly
Stats: 250/145/140
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Nov 15, 2012
I am strictly no dairy... I had a CHRONIC ear effusion issue, and it was resolved within a matter of day eating no dairy! I can do the CO... but only so much as it tends to grease up the insides...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #302
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
If you read one of my post I just lowered my cholesterol from 340- to 192 eating 3-4 tbs co ever day?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #303
Senior LCF Member

I'm not worried about cholesterol... my gut is very sensitive, and I don't want to run to the bathroom every 10 minutes if you get my drift
Old 11-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #304
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinking_thinly View Post
I know if I adopted with WOE I would not be eating enough calories. Fat satiates me for a VERY long time... so long in fact that a little goes a long ways... If I force my self to eat I get physically ill... What would be your guys' advice?
Only way to really know is to try it and log everything you eat. Even things such as the 2 teaspoons of fish oil I take daily. You might be surprised at the calorie count. Can you use butter? I love love love butter, lots of it on everything. First thing is to determine the amount of protein you need, then the number of carbs you are going to strive for, then let the fat fill up the rest of your calorie needs.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #305
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
If you read one of my post I just lowered my cholesterol from 340- to 192 eating 3-4 tbs co ever day?
Becky, that is wonderful and really gives me hope. I go back to Dr. in January and need to have mine lowered by then. Will have been on this WOE 4 1/2 months at that time. I am tempted to go get it tested somewhere in Dec. just to get an idea of how I am doing, I am sure I would have to pay for it myself but think it would be worth it. Dr. prescribed Lipitor which I am not taking, so I really don't want to go in there with elevated cholesterol again. Since I am diabetic they get all antsy about it.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Morning all! Weight 167. Down .4 from yesterday my lowest yet.last week this time I was 169.4 so that's 2.4 in week yehaaaaaw...my weight did go up a. Lb this week due to nuts and sf gum.i did add hwc back in my food and lost so that means its not a staller,I'm glad cause that is my thing in the morning coffee with co and hwc.
Wow that is really great. Boy that stress is bad for ya. I hope you are enjoying your retirement.
Thanks for helping me, I can use all the help I can get.
I do use HWC and last week when I started NK I increased my CO.
Maybe I will see a loss soon
Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #307
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl I bet you do just from giving up the gum..you welcome that's what we are here for to learn from each other.red and Buffy has been our back bone here!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #308
Major LCF Poster!

Just went to gym and walked 1.5 mile!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #309
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
What did he mix them with Sandy? I mixed mine with vanilla unsweet almond milk with 2 T of HWC. He might have mixed with water and I doubt that would have been too tasty. But, it might, I don't know. I wanted to use up this almond milk I had.
He used part HWC & part water and added 2 egg yolks too. He might be picky.

Quote:
Becky, that is wonderful and really gives me hope. I go back to Dr. in January and need to have mine lowered by then. Will have been on this WOE 4 1/2 months at that time. I am tempted to go get it tested somewhere in Dec. just to get an idea of how I am doing, I am sure I would have to pay for it myself but think it would be worth it. Dr. prescribed Lipitor which I am not taking, so I really don't want to go in there with elevated cholesterol again. Since I am diabetic they get all antsy about it.
When DH first started on those supplements we've talked about he did go to a local lab a couple times. We did have to pay but it was really cheap. Cheaper than the Drs office for sure. And that way he kept closer tabs on it.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #310
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh good Sandy, I have a labcorp nearby, I will call them and see what it cost. Been looking for a free one like they have sometimes at places like Walgreens, etc., but missed the only one I have seen. I got there in time but the line was so long they cut it off.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lindawell8
Stats: 198/198/160
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Jan. 2012
Hello everybody, just wanted to check in. Haven't loset anymore darn. But my sugar was 89 this morning and that is unbelievable to me. Never in 18 years have I seen that number.

But also can't wait to try that pumpkin thing. Sounds so delicious. I like anything pumpkin.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #312
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinking_thinly View Post
I know if I adopted with WOE I would not be eating enough calories. Fat satiates me for a VERY long time... so long in fact that a little goes a long ways... If I force my self to eat I get physically ill... What would be your guys' advice?
Use a Stillman's type approach if you are sure about that. Stillman is high protein, low fat, low carb.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #313
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Red, let me understand correctly. On the calorie range you figure for yourself and others of us, you said you will aim for the high end. So, is that range all for loss of weight? I was thinking the low end was for loss of weight and the higher end was to maintain. I don't know if I will ever get this all right in my head . BTW, I think your paws look just right at the weight you are and you looked quite dashing in your shadow picture, but, of course, we can't see that belly you speak of
It is a bit confusing.

The calorie range is based on your ideal weight. So, if you are eating enough calories to maintain your ideal weight then you are *not* eating enough calories to maintain your overweight current weight.

See?

Looking at it from the other direction, if you want to weigh 200 but currently weigh 300 and eat enough calories to weigh 200 you will lose weight.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #314
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
It was pretty salty. I don't think I rinsed it enough? And I didn't add any other salt. I seasoned it with Mrs. Dash steak seasoning. The weird thing is DHs BP was down last night AND still this a.m. But he was up 2#. It didn't affect me in either way. He just started taking a dose of fish oil in the evening as well as his usual morning dose so maybe that's kicking in?
If he is LC then the salt wouldn't cause any particular water retention so it was probably just a one-off type thing with the scale.

No, I'm sure you rinsed it well. The saltiness is just a by-product of that method. What I've seen is that the length of time you keep it salted affects the saltiness imparted. So, you have to time it right to get the tenderness without letting it go so long as to be too salty. And for added complexity it is gonna be a little bit about personal preference on saltiness.

Some of it has to be the meat too. I know I've had a few steaks turn out noticeably saltier even though I hadn't left the salt on too long.

I have never been a big salt person but I do like the steaks even if they turn out with a distinct salt flavor.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #315
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Use a Stillman's type approach if you are sure about that. Stillman is high protein, low fat, low carb.
Well, let me clarify that a bit. Eat as much fat as you can.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #316
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
It is a bit confusing.

The calorie range is based on your ideal weight. So, if you are eating enough calories to maintain your ideal weight then you are *not* eating enough calories to maintain your overweight current weight.

See?

Looking at it from the other direction, if you want to weigh 200 but currently weigh 300 and eat enough calories to weigh 200 you will lose weight.

Oh, I "C" now!!! That makes sense. So, as long as I stay in that range, I should be able to lose weight. Blows my mind that can/could happen with that many calories but I sure am willing to give it a try. Buffy at her butter and HWC weekly bill!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #317
Major LCF Poster!

Hehe buffy
Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #318
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Red, thanks for that salt tip. I did leave this salted for over 5 hours!! I knew it was a tough piece of meat and really wanted it tender not even thinking about the salt. Luckily we both like salt but he has high BP and is supposed to be really cutting back. He does a pretty good job considering he was a major addict. I promised him I wasn't trying to kill him with all that salt last night.
Oh, and eating low carb, if I have something really full of sodium like hot dogs, Chinese etc, I'll retain a little bit of water the next day too. It's very temporary but it does show up in the morning after.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 11-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #319
Major LCF Poster!

My food
B-2 devil eggs coffee with tbs co one oz hwc
S-coffee with tbs co tbs hwc
D-4.1oz hb.on lettuce with home made mayo onion and tomo.
S-coffee with tbs co tbs hwc

Cal=1504
Fat=109.2=80%
Carbs=11.7=4%
Prot.=44.7=16%
Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hello to all.

Buffy, I am confident you will have good cholestrol numbers...the BEST way to reduce your numbers is to get rid of the sugar, grains, junk food, etc. Now being diabetic does increase your heart disease risk; but you are "in the zone" and doing great. Yes there is a but here....it takes time to move those numbers for some; sometimes 6-12 months. Please don't lose the big picture for these numbers. Sugar/bad carbs cause inflammation in the arteries, like a scrub brush going over them again and again; over and over when the flood of high glucose comes roaring through. Low glycemic foods, no sugar, good carbs that do not cause the response, won't injure the arteries, thus inflammation reduces, and no clogged arteries. Science does not back the cholestrol causes the block theory...if you look historically at when this mess got bad, it was when the low fat stuff came out hard on us. The sugar content went up up up! Obesity numbers went up up up.

Also...your physician works for YOU; you don't have to please him/her; you don't have to take their advise if you do not think it is the right thing for you. Ask him for the clinical studies to prove Lipitor reduces heart attack risk. Statins are especially dangerous for women, I can't figure out why they dismiss this danger. Everyone has the right to direct their healthcare, ask questions and challenge your physicians. I order BNRG Proto Whey Double Chocolate, stuff is great when mixed with coconut milk or almond milk.

Cheryl - hope Day 1 no gum went okay. Yes it has carbs...and too much just isn't good.

Darin, good for you, keep up the rebellion. I am less stressed with the once a week. I don't like banana anything, but DH and DDs love them. I have to hold my nose to make anything with banana!

Yea Becky! congrats on the loss.

Pinky, I hope you feel better soon. It's a bummer being sick!

Good plan Harms!

Welcome Joy!

Welcome Thinking Thinly! Yes fat keeps the hunger at bay. I focus on protein first, keep carbs at 20 or below....then add fat in between. I keep it fairly simple, so I will keep at it. I can't do milk, yogurt, but HWC does not cause a reaction; neither does sour cream; butter; cream cheese; hard cheeses. I limit those anyway, as to not test my body too much...exception is HWC, I use a lot of it. If your gut is very sensitive, try the higher end of protein first...that may help with possible tummy issues. But we are all different here, lose weight differently, have issues with foods differently!

Hi Linda! Great on the BS scores!

Hi Sandy....my DH does not care for "extra salty" so maybe I better marinate mine longer, which it has salt in it; and sliced very thin it is better.

ct
Old 11-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #321
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: smoky
Stats: Start weight 2280/211/180
WOE: Type 2 Diabetic on - LCHF
Start Date: Oct 19 2013 Re Start
Good Evening everone my weight today is 227 and i have not taken my BP- meds for 3 days just cheked it and is 120/80 big improvement blood sugar is getting better every day
Old 11-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Thank you everybody for all the input. It keeps doing this. I still have a hard time thinking it will put fat on me. I worked hard to get fat off. I measure everyday and try my jeans on every morning. I no that sounds silly. But I have not been this thin in years.
The other diets worked to get the weight off but never helped my sugar. This really does work for me for that. But I did love hearing it takes time sometimes to start losing. Just don't want to gain. Sorry I am whiney, just a little scared.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 AM   #323
Major LCF Poster!

Morning all got on scales and lost again from 167 to 166.2 can that bad stress slowed me down ? Now I'm moving right along.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #324
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl hope your day was good with out the gum!!were is ever one??
Old 11-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #325
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning! Up a little late, then woke up and couldn't go back to sleep for a while then slept in a little this morning.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #326
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning! I almost always sleep in, now that I am semi-retired and set my own hours, I finally get to live by "my" clock, late to bed, late to rise!

Smokey, be careful stopping any meds cold turkey, go online and look up each drug or call your Dr. or pharmacy and ask about tapering off, etc. Some meds can have serious side effects if you go off suddenly. But, congrats on the good BP readings. And, this WOE will definitely help you with your sugar.

Becky, congrats on more loss, you little loser you . Stress can do awful things to our bodies.

SG, there are a couple of reasons I want to make my Dr. happy on the cholesterol numbers. I am on medicare now and many doctors won't take new patients who are on medicare, so if you have good ones, you want to hang on to them, and, I don't want it on my chart that I refused to cooperate for treatment, giving medicare or insurance any reason to deny coverage if I would have a stroke or heart attack. But, I am going to get a test done on my own here soon so I know if what I am already doing is helping. If not, Sandy's DH takes some supplements that really helped him and I will then start those.

My weight is back down to 194.2 so hoping to see a new low on the scales soon, velly velly soon
Old 11-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #327
Senior LCF Member

Okay... so their may be something too this. With only the addition of CO yesterday I lost .8lbs. Hmmmmmmmm! So for breakfast I ate 2 large omega-3 eggs, 2 tbs mayo, and 1 whole medium avacado. 536 calories and 435 from fat. However, I am still going to be a rebel and not do much more calculating than that... I just am going eat when I am hungry and make it high fat.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #328
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Shelley. When I did an online search, found several places nearby that will do it for around $39. Will be more than worth it to see how I am doing. Thanks to you and Sandy, I didn't even know you could order your own tests.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #329
Big Yapper!!!!

I just realized that I saw a new low today, I see that on Nov. 1, I was 194.4, and today, 194.2. May not be much but a giant leap for Buffykind!!! Each little thing like that encourages me soooo much. So many years of trying to starve myself and it not working!

Last edited by Buffy45; 11-07-2012 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: Edited to change date
Old 11-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #330
Senior LCF Member

Congratulations Buffy on your loss. I am going to the gym and work harder today. See if that helps. I have been going to the gym for a solid year. But Red said you have to do resistance exercise and I have just been doing the treadmill, bike, and stepper thing. So going for the gusto. And I believe Red really knows what he is talking about. So here goes.
Closed Thread