Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 05:13 AM   #1711
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Weigh-in 10292012

Weigh-in this morning ... ... ... 191.9

Coffee is not bad this morning but I switched back to the 8 o'Clock that I had left over from when I bought the Gevalia a few days ago.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 05:13 AM   #1712
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky View Post
Got room for one more just starting back on low carb again after gaining 30 lb. it's day one all over again Found that a high fat diet all ways worked best for me.
Sure, welcome =)
Old 10-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #1713
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
About ready to go to bed, just finished my cup of homemade chicken broth. Boy, it was good. I added 1/2 lb butter to the soup pot as my chicken was simmering.

If I don't see any loss again tomorrow, I think I will try again to keep my calories below 1400, it is hard to do that and I was hoping it wasn't going to be necessary but I have stayed about the same all month.
About what are you keeping your calories at currently?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #1714
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky View Post
Got room for one more just starting back on low carb again after gaining 30 lb. it's day one all over again Found that a high fat diet all ways worked best for me.
Hi Smoky! Welcome!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #1715
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: geogeo
Another "lurker" enjoying the thread

Hello everyone! I apologize for not introducing myself earlier. This will be a really short intro for now, but I wanted to thank everyone for posting such helpful information.

Have my Nova Max meter/sticks and Precision Xtra meter/sticks. Testing in a.m. Will give more details later. Battening down the hatches in the eye of the storm!

Deborah a.k.a. Debby since Deborah is already here!

Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 AM   #1716
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Hey All,

Just hunkering down for the bad weather here. If you don't hear from me for the next couple of days, you'll know we lost power. Something about huddling indoors during bad weather makes me want to eat a lot! But at least pretty much everything I have in the house is on plan stuff.

All my east coast friends, stay safe! And to all my other friends, stay healthy!

Stay safe, Deborah! I'm about a 100 or so miles south of you!

Debby
Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #1717
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
Smoky & geogeo!!!!

Really hungry this a.m., so I'm munchin on a grilled ribeye and cottage cheese for bf. I'll still have my soup for lunch and then just have my bacon and eggs for dinner. coffee w/CO and water to drink.

Once again - East Coast peeps, PLEASE be careful!!!! & good luck!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #1718
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogeo View Post
Hello everyone! I apologize for not introducing myself earlier. This will be a really short intro for now, but I wanted to thank everyone for posting such helpful information.

Have my Nova Max meter/sticks and Precision Xtra meter/sticks. Testing in a.m. Will give more details later. Battening down the hatches in the eye of the storm!

Deborah a.k.a. Debby since Deborah is already here!

Hi Debby Welcome to the thread!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #1719
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: smoky
Stats: Start weight 280/209/180
WOE: Type 2 Diabetic on - LCHF
Start Date: Re Start Oct 19 2013
Good Morning everyone weight this morning 233 down 1 lb. Thanks fore the welcome everyone. Hello geogeo.

Last edited by smoky; 10-29-2012 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: but in wrong number
Old 10-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #1720
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Still here daily lurking as well so thought I'd pop in to tell everyone how much their posts help. I'm maintaining perfectly on 80/15/5. I do 50gms of protein. This diet is also helping keep my blood glucose levels more stable. I try to stay under 140 at all times - don't always make it but close most days. Have the Novamax meter but haven't tested ketone levels yet.

Wow I'm in NJ on the Delaware bay and it is getting very windy and the water levels are very high. Praying we don't flood out!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #1721
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Welcome to our newcomers, glad to have you here and join in.

Harmsway, feed your body while it works to get back into ketosis! 3 days should take care of it.
Red, glad your coffee is tasting better again.

Today was my weekly posting of my weight and although I get a little worried, I see that I did lose 2 lbs this month and had a new lower reading on my waist and thigh. So things are working as they should, I just get concerned about the slow weight loss and that old nagging worry that it will be like the old days of LC when I stalled for months, will be back.

Red, I had kind of just let the calories fall where they wanted, would wait and log at the end of the day. What I was finding is that I would average around 1550 or so but my protein was usually coming in somewhere in the 40's and my low end is 59. So, going to start logging again throughout the day and at least try to keep the protein up where it should be, and we will see what the calories do. I am not as concerned this morning as I look back and see the 2 lb loss for the month and even more lost on my waist, and I don't want to get the calories too low b/c I don't want to feel restrained on this WOE. If I do, then I know I won't maintain it for the long run.

At least, those are my thoughts for today!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #1722
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Wow I'm in NJ on the Delaware bay and it is getting very windy and the water levels are very high. Praying we don't flood out!
I am on the other side of the bay! I hope you stay dry...at least NO flooding!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #1723
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for the welcomes!

At first it was really hard for me to cut down on the protein. I mean, I definitely wasn't afraid of the fat, but even when eating whole eggs, fatty cuts of beef, sardines, and bone marrow, bone broth, etc, the protein adds up fast when you overeat as much of it as I tend to.

I'd been overeating protein for almost 7 years. With the increase in fat (love coconut oil!! and grass fed butter!!!, etc) it hasn't been a problem to cut down on protein.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #1724
Blabbermouth!!!

Yesterday I was absent most of the day because I was trying to get a stupid printer to work. I gave up temporarily on getting it to work in Linux and went back into Win7 for several hours. I didn't want to surf LCF because I actually do refer back to my browser history frequently and any surfing history while in Win7 would be lost when I booted back to Linux.

So, we finally had a really cold night and I'd been waiting for that to reseason my big cast iron skillet. I had planned on using the Clean cycle on the oven to strip the old seasoning from the skillet. That is something to do on a cold day for sure - I made the mistake of doing it during the summer one day several years ago lol doh!

Anyway! My goodness I found a wonderful site about seasoning cast iron. This person, Sheryl, took a science whack at the process with an eye towards figuring out why and how cast iron seasoning works and makes the pan non-stick.

Google 'a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron' and it should be the first hit. Her name is Sheryl Canter.

The long and short of it is that polyunsaturates are best for seasoning cast iron but she does a detailed explanation and how to on the process. She has two or three articles covering it. Very interesting to read.

Her analysis was that flaxseed oil (not inedible linseed oil) is the absolute best oil for cast iron seasoning.

I don't have any flaxseed oil so I chose some old peanut oil that I have because it is higher in polyunsats and monounsats. I only did 3 or 4 coats and I did shortcut the processes by not letting the pan cool completely between rounds except for the last one where it sat overnight in the oven cooling off till this morning. I did the last application this morning. I had some bacon to divvie up and I wanted to cook a chunk of it for breakfast/brunch since I had it out.

Well well well. This is the best non-stick I've seen since I bought the skillet a few years ago. Really impressive. The bacon stuck just a little but the pan was scalding hot out of the oven. The eggs didn't stick at all. In fact, I had to jiggle the skillet to get the spatula under them to flip them. Hooray!

My steps:
  • Set skillet in oven on center rack right side up.
  • Oven set to clean cycle for 3 hours (which was max for this oven).
  • Let it cool but not all the way (because I was impatient).
  • Set newspaper out on stovetop (smooth glass top type thing).
  • Set pan on it and scrubbed out dust with paper towels as best I could.
  • Used peanut oil to get the rest of the old seasoning off.
  • Coated pan inside and out with that oil.
  • Thoroughly rubbed off excess oil with paper towels per Sheryl's instructions.
  • Threw skillet in the oven at 450 for 45 mins.
  • Let it rest with oven off for 30 mins or so.
  • Re-oiled and re-scrubbed oil off as much as possible.
  • Repeated 4 times total (I think).
  • 5th time was this morning first thing. Oiled the pan then removed as much oil as I could and baked at 450 for about an hour.
  • Let it cool for about an hour before cooking bacon and eggs in it.

Have to cook some chicken in the skillet in the next day or two but it'll be eggs and bacon till then I reckon.

I'm very pleased with that nice person Sheryl's hard work on figuring out the science behind cast iron seasoning!

Last edited by reddarin; 10-29-2012 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: eye spel gud.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #1725
Big Yapper!!!!

Good article Red. I don't have a self cleaning oven, but do have a cast iron skillet I have had for years. The one tip that I got, years ago, was to never use soap on cast iron. Just clean with hot water and a scrubber, then dry before you put it away. They are great pots/skillets.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #1726
Blabbermouth!!!

Sheryl de-seasoned and de-crudded her CI using oven cleaner /shudder.

There is a caveat with the Clean cycle - it can destroy the cast iron item because a modern cleaning cycle can reach 900+ degrees which is hot enough to soften and warp a cast iron item.

Mine is a cheapie Lodge skillet I got at WM so I wasn't too worried about destroying it. I might think twice if I had a Griswold or some other heirloom quality CI. But lots of people swear by it no matter what the origin of the CI. In fact I was watching a youtube video about using the clean cycle to de-season a skillet and that lady discovered that she'd bought a Wagner (I think) at the garage sale without knowing it.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #1727
Big Yapper!!!!

Mine does not need to be reasoned, b/c thank goodness, someone told me how to care for it from the get go. Not sure what kind mine is, have had it for years and years. Oh yes, garage sales can be great sources for some great old dishes, pots, pans, etc. My favorite 4 qt. pan came from a garage sale.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #1728
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
I have a CI skillet that I used to use, but the eggs always stuck and I thought I had seasoned it correctly, etc. Always washed as Buffy said, but hubby did the dishes once and it was nice and soapy and I about freaked!!!! But I'm going to try the flax seed oil and season it all over again and see what happens. Mine is a small one, and got it at TJ Maxx for about $25 as I recall...20 years ago? Thanks Major Red for the idea of what to do. I'll pass on the "oven cleaner" idea though.....don't want it to melt and mess up my oven! :-)
Old 10-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #1729
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
to everyone new

Buffy, CONGRATS on your loss. Slow losses are better than none at all.
Mine is always up and down. I need to only weigh once a week or even every two weeks.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #1730
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Thanks Red. Mine needs seasoning again. I have 4 so I season when it gets cold too.
I make the best flax bread in my 6inch CI pan. Yumm!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #1731
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
I have a CI skillet that I used to use, but the eggs always stuck and I thought I had seasoned it correctly, etc. Always washed as Buffy said, but hubby did the dishes once and it was nice and soapy and I about freaked!!!! But I'm going to try the flax seed oil and season it all over again and see what happens. Mine is a small one, and got it at TJ Maxx for about $25 as I recall...20 years ago? Thanks Major Red for the idea of what to do. I'll pass on the "oven cleaner" idea though.....don't want it to melt and mess up my oven! :-)
I have to work on my cast iron seasoning terminology I think.

Sheryl used spray on oven cleaner to prep her cast iron for seasoning.

The way I did it was to put the oven on its 'cleaning' cycle and I set the pan on the rack in the middle of the oven. I can set this oven for 2 or 3 hours so I set it for 3 hours and let it rip. The pan came out stripped bare.

What Sheryl pointed out about using the oven's cleaning cycle, the way I did, was that it can get hot enough to ruin the cast iron product because it can get hot enough to make the iron soft and that will warp it. But it won't be hot enough to actually melt it. Probably 99% of CI is safe with the odd 1% being very old and too thin to withstand the heat or the item was always defective but it took very high heat to reveal the defect.

I have the other tall sided 10" skillet that I am going to do next. I wish I'd have done it this morning when it was cold as the dickens in here.

Last edited by reddarin; 10-29-2012 at 11:23 AM..
Old 10-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #1732
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Thanks Red. Mine needs seasoning again. I have 4 so I season when it gets cold too.
Are you going to use flaxseed oil? I really like the results with the peanut oil but if I'd of had the flaxseed oil I would have used it. She said it was like $17 bucks for 17oz so lol I passed on spending that on seasoning my pan.

On the other hand, if I took it as a supplement and had some on hand I'd have done it. It doesn't take very much because each layer of oil is as little as possible.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #1733
Blabbermouth!!!

Gonna boot up to Win7 and install Norton360 real quick. BRB.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #1734
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
How do you know when they need to be seasoned? When they start sticking? Mine never get a build up
Old 10-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #1735
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Gonna boot up to Win7 and install Norton360 real quick. BRB.
I am so impressed with your computer knowledge!!!!! I printed off "your" instructions on the cast iron protocols and ordered some flaxseed oil with my nutritional order (potassium, sublingual B12 and whey protein for DH). Can't wait to try this as I have missed using this pan...everything has "stuck"!

Are you getting Windows 8? Seems to be all over the TV commercials here!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #1736
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
How do you know when they need to be seasoned? When they start sticking? Mine never get a build up
Yeah, sticky or a lot of build-up or burnt on stuff that you can't get off. No need to reseason otherwise really so you are good
Old 10-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #1737
Big Yapper!!!!

All your computer and printer issues handled Red?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #1738
Big Yapper!!!!

Yesterday I put a large soup pot on with chicken breast, wings and legs, filled with water, lots of salt and pepper and 1/2 lb of butter. Simmered until bedtime, then put i fridge. This morning, heated it up again, strained the broth and picked all the meat off the bones. Got 25 oz of meat, parcelled into 4 oz bags. And, lot of broth which I put into smaller containers in the freezer. The broth is soo good, I never like commercial ones as well. Lots of salt in it, so will be good for my leg cramps. Drinking a big mug right now that didn't fit in the containers
Old 10-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #1739
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yesterday I put a large soup pot on with chicken breast, wings and legs, filled with water, lots of salt and pepper and 1/2 lb of butter. Simmered until bedtime, then put i fridge. This morning, heated it up again, strained the broth and picked all the meat off the bones. Got 25 oz of meat, parcelled into 4 oz bags. And, lot of broth which I put into smaller containers in the freezer. The broth is soo good, I never like commercial ones as well. Lots of salt in it, so will be good for my leg cramps. Drinking a big mug right now that didn't fit in the containers
That sounds absolutely delicious!!!! I'll be right over!!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #1740
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mcchimento
Stats: 261.8/232.0/150.0
WOE: Atkins with a Mediterranean/Paleo flair
Start Date: Everyday is a new day!
Hi. My name is Cathy and I'm a foodaholic.

My binge eating has been a little off the deep end and I have gained back 15 of the 30 lbs. I lost this summer. I just could not get back on track after Hurricane Isaac but I am realizing that I have not met any of my goals for the last two months.

Today is Day 1. I will be coming here more often to stay on track again.
Closed Thread