Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #1651
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
something you have NEVER heard a female say.......

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #1652
Blabbermouth!!!

Stars shining bright above you
Night breezes seem to whisper "I love you"
Birds singing in the sycamore trees
Dream a little dream of me.
Just hold me tight and tell me you miss me
While I'm alone and blue as can be

There should be a law against waking up blue from a nap, no?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #1653
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Stars shining bright above you
Night breezes seem to whisper "I love you"
Birds singing in the sycamore trees
Just hold me tight and tell me you miss me
While I'm alone and blue as can be

There should be a law against waking up blue from a nap, no?
Oh....the Mama's and Papa's (I think???)....Love them!!!! Red...it's so good to see your posts again! You light up our lives.....another song (Debbie Boone).

Buffy...congrats to you and your daughter on the losses in inches and pounds.

PC...you are doing GREAT!!!!!!

JB.....your situation is so different, and yet it's so interesting to follow along to see how you are doing. Hope baby boy feels better soon.

Welcome new people....keep reading and things will start to fall into place.

I did my exercise experiment this week. Mon/Wed/Fri doing heavy weight lifting (heavy for me and my lack of upper body strength!), and also my walking and elliptical trainer on a "high hill". As expected, I gained weight from the muscles holding water (I think that's what they say), and my bodyfat also went up on the Tanita. (Oh...Buffy, it's great that your %age is going down...it's a very slow process to lose bodyfat...so GOOD going!) But I feel so good doing the weight at the gym. I am starting to hold in my stomach a bit here and there, and I'm definitely standing up taller. And, the good news is that I did my glucose and ketone testing this morning and the results were really good (for me). Glucose 98 and ketones .8 so I'm back in ketosis. I was just about to give up too!!!!!

So....now I"m back on the cheerleading team of "go for it" everyone and "stick with the program" and just all good feelings about this way of life! I may not be losing pounds or inches, but I'm happy with what I'm eating. And maybe SouthernGirl and I will have big changes in another 4 months or so when we hit that 6 month mark!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #1654
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Shelley, so glad to log on and see your uplifting post, glad you feel better about all this. Just what you needed to keep you feeling like you are doing the right thing. We all question ourselves at time but I just know I decided to do this for 2 weeks and Monday it will be 2 months and I have NO intention of changing a thing.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #1655
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Shelley, so glad to log on and see your uplifting post, glad you feel better about all this. Just what you needed to keep you feeling like you are doing the right thing. We all question ourselves at time but I just know I decided to do this for 2 weeks and Monday it will be 2 months and I have NO intention of changing a thing.
Thanks Buffy.....I'm a week ahead of you on NK, but I have been having mental challenges for the last week....making brownies for people coming over, buying sourdough bread and wanting a grilled cheese sandwich, etc. And wondering why I am not having those things if I just continue to gain weight and inches and be .1 and .3 on the ketone readings! But today it seemed to click back into place. No idea why. They say exercise lowers ketone readings, so maybe I am a "freak of nature" after all to raise ketone levels doing weights. My only real change was lifting weights this week. Go figure. I'm just happy that I can lift weights AND get into and possibly stay in ketosis.

I'm very happy that you and your daughter and the others are doing so well. Even though I get "jealous" that my scale is going the wrong way, it is inspiring to read everyones posts of glee and the very few/occasional struggles. We just have to keep on going and "trust" that this is all it's said to be for good health and well being.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #1656
Senior LCF Member

Question for PC....what ever happened with your "no more 12 hour days" and wanting to only work 2 days a week. Did you get what you hoped for???
Old 10-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #1657
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Shelly,yes and no..the 12 hours is on hold for a while not enough people. As far as the 2 days a week goes, new schedules come out next week,if they give me more than 2 days a week,I will not work them,I'll tell them which of theses 2 days you want me to come in.tonight was so bad.the girl who worked with me stayed on the other wing more than here's unreal theses people need to go find other work.

Any way don't matter what was wrong today but I could not eat I had my coffee with co and hwc (3) cups and 1 oz pork rinds could just not eat...
Old 10-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #1658
Blabbermouth!!!

Food Log

Log and numbers for Friday the 27th.

Calories: 2010

Fat: 166
Pro: 111
Car: 21

73/23/4

Breakfast: CO & coffee.
Lunch: Eggs, suasage, jalapeno, cheese.
Dinner: Lettuce, chicken, tomato, cheese.
End of Day: dang forgot to take T of CO.

Not bad for my first full day back.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:44 AM   #1659
Blabbermouth!!!

weigh-in 10272012

Weigh-in this morning ... ... ... 189.2

The morning I quit smoking my scale was 186.1. I'm certain that I did gain a pound or two because I really ate a lot of calories and enough carbs to exit NK and no uptick in activity to expend the extra intake. What I wondered about today, though, was how quickly the kidneys respond to carb restrictions and begin shedding fluid. I went to the bathroom a zillion times it felt like yesterday and really had only been under 50g of carbs for less than 24 hours I think.

I've been closely tracking my bottled water, pure water, intake for the last couple of weeks and I know I actually drank a little less water yesterday than usual. Weird. I would have thought the kidney thing would have a longer lead time. Perhaps having spent several weeks keto-adapted is the reason for the speedy kidney reaction/readaptation.

On the other hand, although it has been a long time in dog years since I first started LC 14ish months ago, it seems reasonable that the process happens pretty quickly. I know Dr. Eades puts his patients on a potassium Rx and has them fill it when they leave his clinic so he expects them to start dosing immediately which must mean he expects the diuretic effect to happen quickly.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:08 AM   #1660
Blabbermouth!!!

Yeah, the Mamas and the Papas =)

I woke up with that song running through my head and the movie titled after it bouncing around in my mind.

I wonder though who's version I have in mind? Female vocalist but not Mama Cass. More of a throaty whiskey drenched tone to it than Cass' smooth beautiful singing.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:12 AM   #1661
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
I caved and ate fried mozzarella sticks last night. And I lost weight. WTH?
Old 10-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #1662
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Clueless
Stats: 171/155/130
WOE: low carb/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Aug-2012/Oct-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning ... ... ... 189.2

The morning I quit smoking my scale was 186.1. I'm certain that I did gain a pound or two because I really ate a lot of calories and enough carbs to exit NK and no uptick in activity to expend the extra intake. What I wondered about today, though, was how quickly the kidneys respond to carb restrictions and begin shedding fluid. I went to the bathroom a zillion times it felt like yesterday and really had only been under 50g of carbs for less than 24 hours I think.

I've been closely tracking my bottled water, pure water, intake for the last couple of weeks and I know I actually drank a little less water yesterday than usual. Weird. I would have thought the kidney thing would have a longer lead time. Perhaps having spent several weeks keto-adapted is the reason for the speedy kidney reaction/readaptation.

On the other hand, although it has been a long time in dog years since I first started LC 14ish months ago, it seems reasonable that the process happens pretty quickly. I know Dr. Eades puts his patients on a potassium Rx and has them fill it when they leave his clinic so he expects them to start dosing immediately which must mean he expects the diuretic effect to happen quickly.
Have you had any of the sick feeling you get when you first start a low carb diet? Ketoeous? Tiredness? etc...
Old 10-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #1663
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
My wonderful baby has been kind enough to share his cold with me. We just did this about a month ago. I hadn't had so much as the sniffles in over 2 years, and now that I have a baby, I'm on my second cold in as many months!

The difference this time is I will not use it as an excuse to eat whatever I want. I made some almond flour pancakes this morning that were okay (not fabulous, but a suitable occasional substitute). I have some french onion soup on hand (just the broth, no onion chunks in it) that will be a good, comforting, quick meal with melted cheese on top. I have some sugar free popsicles in the freezer, but even though they're sugar free, they have carbs, so I want to keep it to one pop per day. I can do this (convincing myself!)!

Red, your weight is great considering what your body's been through recently - you'll be right back where you left off in no time!

shelley, I'm so glad you're seeing the results you were hoping for as far as ketosis. I used my elliptical for 12 minutes the other day. That was the only time I've done any intentional exercise in the past 7 months! And you are correct about holding water - when you work a muscle, it actually creates little tears in the muscle (which is why we feel sore), and then they hold onto water while they repair those tears (and the repair = building new muscle).

Buffy, you're right that I'm just frustrated. But I need to keep reminding myself that, even though I'm not where I want to be, I HAVE come a long way.
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 10-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #1664
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Have you had any of the sick feeling you get when you first start a low carb diet? Ketoeous? Tiredness? etc...
Definitely! It passes but is called the Induction Flu, and the length of time just varies. Just push through it, then you will begin to feel a lot better.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #1665
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning gang.

Red, good numbers and the weight is actually great. I bounce back and forth that much eating my regular NK diet. Not sure about the water thing, too much figuring for me
Old 10-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #1666
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
, must have been breaded!!! Ok, since you lost weight, I guess you get a hall pass on this one
Old 10-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #1667
Big Yapper!!!!

I just spent the most restless night. Still having a terrible time with leg cramps. I am taking the potassium the Dr. prescribed, plus a little extra otc, the magnesium, low dose working back up and even put out a little bowl of sea salt that I take a pinch of whenever I walk by. Kept me awake off and on all night, finally got up at 5:00, drank a cup of chicken broth with extra salt, ate a little, then back to bed. Then the smoke alarm low battery decides to start beeping, so had to get up, get the little ladder, take that down. I don't feel so good today so far

Weight is up, I am sure due to getting up and eating at 5:00 am of course. So far I have been up all week since last Sunday and Monday's low. But, trudging onward.......
Old 10-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #1668
Senior LCF Member

Good morning all.....it's raining here and I've been thinking of those of you on the East Coast...like Deborah! Sure hope this storm coming is not what they are expecting. My niece is flying into Boston on Tuesday...or so she thinks/has planned.

PC....hope they surprise you with the schedule this week and you are on 2 days. Sorry the other person wasn't of any help. When I am stressed and busy, I don't eat and don't think about food. Probably what happened to you yesterday.

Major Red.....you are back in the 180's and that is fabulous! I also see you are back on track with your calories and macros, so you'll go right back down those 3# or so that you gained. Don't know the name of the "throaty" voiced singer you are trying to come up with...sorry.

I realized that I have cut way back on my water consumption...probably to save my low sodium, etc. so today I'm going to make a pot of turkey soup with chicken broth, some celery, onions, and chunks of turkey and that should help. It will taste good in the gloom and doom of our grey/rainy day.

Re: Deborah's fried mozzarella sticks? Hmmm.....I have never head them so have no clue, and mozzarella is lowfat, so maybe the "fried" part being fatty??? They sound pretty fun though! Glad they didn't set you back, you bitty little thing you!!! :-)

JB...sorry that your precious son decided to once again share his cold with you. My sisters families were always sick...passing around colds/flu in circles until they got older. Hope you feel better soon. And 12 minutes on the elliptical is great! Keep up the good work. It's a great non-impact exercise for the body.

I've been having that nausea/headachy feeling in the mornings after my "breakfast" and so decided to not have my bulletproof coffee...thinking it was the caffeine or the combination of the HWC and MCT oil. So, just had herbal tea this morning. Same situation. So, either I'm allergic to breakfast, or one of my supplements is causing this. So, now more detective work is required with my pills in the AM. Phooey.

Go Giants!!! (ha ha)
Old 10-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #1669
Senior LCF Member

Buffy....sure hope you get some rest in today.....you had a rough night with the cramps and then the smoke detector beep is the worst, and I have never heard of anyone having theirs go off during awake hours...it's always while you are asleep!!!! Try to take a little rest today...put something over your eyes that will go just above your eyebrows (that 3rd eye area) and it will relax you. I have a silk "pillow" filled with lavendar flaxseed from a long ago yoga class and I love to use that during the day. Makes it seem like the middle of the night and easier to doze off for a bit.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #1670
Senior LCF Member

Question on potassium.......is there a preferable type? I have it in powdered form and was wanting to order some capsules, but like magnesium, there are several "types". Anyone have anything to offer on which to get? Thanks.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #1671
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
After my first year of very stricked low carb, I started eating foods that were off limits before, most of them still low carb. Anyway I ended losing past my goal in less than a month. I think sometimes it's good switch it up.
But in some cases bad because I ended up thinking...
"oh I can eat this cupcake because it's good to give my metabolism a good shock" Not very smart of me, but I learned my lesson.
Just good for us to find out/know our limits
Old 10-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #1672
Senior LCF Member

On the storm front, I'm just outside of DC, and I'm expecting we'll get hit pretty hard. We had an unusually strong set of storms that came through the area in late June, and we lost power at our house for 3 days (some lost it for even longer, so it could have been worse). They're saying this one will be worse than the June storm, so I'm assuming we'll lose power. At least this time, it won't be 100 degrees out at the time, so maybe the stuff in our fridge/freezer won't ALL have to be tossed like last time! We may end up at family's house like last time. With the baby in the house, I don't like staying here without power for more than a few hours. We had lost cell service, too, so we were pretty cut off from the world. Sure makes you realize/appreciate how much we rely on electricity and phone/internet service!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #1673
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Good morning all.....it's raining here and I've been thinking of those of you on the East Coast...like Deborah! Sure hope this storm coming is not what they are expecting. My niece is flying into Boston on Tuesday...or so she thinks/has planned.
Yeah, it's looking like her flight might be postponed. They are saying it's going to be bad. Which is weird, because where I live in PA never really has huge weather emergencies. Grocery shopping tomorrow and dreading it. I know it's going to be packed with hurricane shoppers. Going to try to go super early to avoid the mob.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #1674
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Grocery shopping tomorrow and dreading it. I know it's going to be packed with hurricane shoppers. Going to try to go super early to avoid the mob.
heh, I ONLY go grocery shopping at like 6-7am or after 9pm. I have no patience for crowded stores and long lines normally, let alone dealing with all the crazies battling it out for toilet paper and batteries!
Old 10-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #1675
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Gosh! Yes! And I was really surprised when I realized it earlier today. I was thinking about it right as I read your post too which was shortly before I laid down feeling pretty dang crappy.

Worse, I think, this time than back in September when I started NK. And back then I was well over the NK range of ~50g max carbs a day.

Weird.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #1676
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I just spent the most restless night. Still having a terrible time with leg cramps. I am taking the potassium the Dr. prescribed, plus a little extra otc, the magnesium, low dose working back up and even put out a little bowl of sea salt that I take a pinch of whenever I walk by. Kept me awake off and on all night, finally got up at 5:00, drank a cup of chicken broth with extra salt, ate a little, then back to bed. Then the smoke alarm low battery decides to start beeping, so had to get up, get the little ladder, take that down. I don't feel so good today so far

Weight is up, I am sure due to getting up and eating at 5:00 am of course. So far I have been up all week since last Sunday and Monday's low. But, trudging onward.......
Strange indeed.

Are you drinking enough water? Was it only last night for the cramps?

I had them last night too. I actually had to get up once or twice to stand up because they were bad enough but I for sure didn't drink much water yesterday while I made frequent bathroom trips all day. And I felt so dragged out that I turned off the light around 7:30 pm which is really early even for me.

Hey, for you guys with footboards on your beds, sometimes you can relieve the leg/foot cramps by placing your foot against a solid surface and applying some pressure as though you are standing.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #1677
Blabbermouth!!!

Ya'll are gonna get hit by Sandy. I didn't even realize it was going to zap the East coast. We are getting some really cold nights here in Texas but spared the rain and bad weather from that storm looks like.

Stay safe if you are getting smacked by the storms. Google LC smores before your power goes out.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #1678
Blabbermouth!!!

Food Log

Log and numbers.

Calories: 2,198

Fat: 171
Pro: 135
Car: 30

70/25/5

Breakfast: CO & coffee with HWC.
Lunch: Cheese, sausage, eggs.
Snack: HWC float, pork rinds.
Dinner: Roasted cauliflower, bacon, jalapenos.
End of Day: I didn't forget today but chose not to take the CO because I am off my nifty schedule and ate supper so late in the day. Tomorrow I am going to try to get back on track with my end of day CO shot.

Whew! Coffee was awful this morning. Not sure what was going on there. Grounds must be bad but the first couple of pots from this bag were good. Strange.

The roasted cauliflower was not bad. It took a heck of a lot longer than 20 mins at 375 but I used a quarter sheet pan instead of a half-sheet so I bet that was the reason it took so much longer.
Attached Images
File Type: png graph_10272012.png (20.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg log_10272012.jpg (30.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #1679
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Ooooh, I love roasted cauliflower! And it does take a long time. I think I put the oven up to 400* usually, but I kinda play things by ear in the kitchen, so not sure.

It's hard to keep up with you all! I was gonna post yesterday, but didn't have time after I finished reading... but here I am.

I have done great in terms of eating well in the face of adversity. Yesterday I was at my 9 year old's school halloween carnival for several hours and then spent all evening at a pot luck with every kind of yummy treat you could imagine. I had a good high fat/protein lunch and then I ate one slice of pepperoni, one small cube of cheese, and two slice of red bell pepper dipped in a low carb spinach parmesan dip at the party. And then a fat bomb when I got home. Phew! I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Tonight we're going out to eat, which I find kinda scary. I've decided on the boneless buffalo wings, which I'm sure will be breaded, but I found a picture of them online and they looked more like dredged in flour than seriously breaded, so hopefully it won't derail me. Gah!

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
Old 10-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #1680
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Ooooh, I love roasted cauliflower! And it does take a long time. I think I put the oven up to 400* usually, but I kinda play things by ear in the kitchen, so not sure.

It's hard to keep up with you all! I was gonna post yesterday, but didn't have time after I finished reading... but here I am.

I have done great in terms of eating well in the face of adversity. Yesterday I was at my 9 year old's school halloween carnival for several hours and then spent all evening at a pot luck with every kind of yummy treat you could imagine. I had a good high fat/protein lunch and then I ate one slice of pepperoni, one small cube of cheese, and two slice of red bell pepper dipped in a low carb spinach parmesan dip at the party. And then a fat bomb when I got home. Phew! I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Tonight we're going out to eat, which I find kinda scary. I've decided on the boneless buffalo wings, which I'm sure will be breaded, but I found a picture of them online and they looked more like dredged in flour than seriously breaded, so hopefully it won't derail me. Gah!
Yeah it was pretty tasty

Gonna cook it again tomorrow or the next day.

You *did* dodge a bullet! Good job!!

Ask for unbreaded wings
Closed Thread