Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #1561
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Liz, are you feeling any better, just no appetite? Mine comes and goes it seems but I love the control and sometimes not wanting to eat and never it seems, wanting to over eat. Great change in my life.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #1562
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh Red???? come up and visit us, we can't tell you how much we miss hearing from you on and off all day, the thread is not the same without you.

Hope all is well.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #1563
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Man, everyone keeps mentioning these "fat bombs." I'll need to look around for a recipe and see what all the hype is about!

Ended up going out to lunch today. We went to a Mexican place. At many Mexican places, I just get something with meat, cheese, sour cream, maybe salsa and lettuce...but here, everything came with rice AND beans AND tortillas. I couldn't fathom paying full price for the meal and not getting any of the sides, so I just got a salad instead. It was the most NON-Mexican item on the menu! Spinach, cranberries, walnuts, and grilled chicken with balsamic vinaigrette I ate all the chicken and some of the spinach, but left most of the cranberries behind. Now it's only about an hour later, and I'm feeling hungry. Need more fat...
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
now I'm going to Puerto Rico .jan.31 so I would like to lose 20 lbs think I can do it that's 3 months away.
Congrats on getting to the 160s! I don't like to put a time limit on my weight loss goals because sometimes, the body just gets stubborn even if you're doing everything "right." Just keep trucking along, and I'm sure you'll look fabulous in Puerto Rico no matter what the scale says!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
My questions about exercise are whether to do heavy weights to failure, or light weights with lots of reps.
I believe the heavy weights to failure is how one would build more muscle faster, while the more reps with lighter weights will help to maintain and maybe tone a bit, but will be less effective in really adding muscle. At least, that's what I recall from my reading a while back. I'm horrible about exercise, so I can't speak from experience at all!
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #1564
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Thanks for the welcomes, everyone! Just read on another forum someone who didn't know what else to do to lose weight. After all, she isn't eating any sugar. I'm frustrated at how the media and even medical profession has everyone convinced that carbs are good as long as they're whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc.

How do your families eat? My husband eats whatever when I'm not with him, but we don't keep carbs in the house, and he eats what I make for dinners (meats and non-starchy veggies, basically). My son is JUST starting to eat solids, as he's about 6.5 months old. So far, he's had (and enjoyed!) avocado, green beans, and baby spinach. Everyone seems so shocked that I'm not giving him cereals/grains since that's usually what people start with. I hope to never feed him those, nor do I want to introduce sweet fruits until much later. I'll introduce meats before we even do fruits. I know once he's older, he'll be eating at friends' houses and whatnot, so junk is practically inevitable in our society, but I want to get him started on the right track. It will be a fine line between letting him be a "normal" kid food-wise and unintentionally teaching him to obsess over the carbs in his food.

I'm not much of a seafood person, so I don't know if it would really work, but I personally think cheese makes almost everything better!

Fruits aren't normally an issue for me, but my whole family went apple picking last weekend, so I've been having a large apple every day this week (I think I even had 2 one day). And my cravings for junk this week have been higher than normal...gosh, I wonder why that might be?

I also made a big pot of homemade tomato soup last week and had some every day. I made it using organic crushed tomatoes, hwc, butter, sour cream, and seasonings, and I add shredded cheddar on top when I heat it up. When I sat down and did the math, though, it came up to about 15g carbs per serving. My own fault for not doing the math first. I usually hate tomatoes, so I don't eat them normally and didn't think about it much. Lesson learned! (though, honestly, I knew I should have checked but was just in denial because I REALLY wanted some tomato soup when the colder weather rolled in!)

As for vitamins and minerals, I have to take them daily since I've had weight loss surgery. I currently take the following split into 4 doses throughout the day:
  • 2 multivitamins
  • calcium citrate (1800mg elemental - 600mg 3 times throughout the day)
  • vitamin C (1000mg)
  • vitamin D3 (50,000 IUs)
  • vitamin A (palmitate - 20,000 IUs every other day)
  • iron (taken at least 2-3 hours away from calcium and multis)
  • probiotics
  • chelated zinc (100mg)
  • hair/nails/skin combo (includes biotin and vit E, among other things)
  • sublingual B12 most days (when I remember...)
I know some of those dosages are high, but that's due to my altered insides. I also have extensive annual labs run to check my vitamin/mineral levels. Just had my most recent draw in early September. Only red flag was calcium (well, calcium is actually fine, but [B]PTH was elevated despite high D3, meaning my body is stealing calcium from my bones to keep my blood calcium level normal
I don't see any magnesium supplemention at all here....you need that along with D3 and Vitamin K2 to keep calcium in line...magnesium is one of the most widely used (1300+ reactions in various body systems) and critical minerals.

Magnesium Miracle By Dr. Carolyn Dean...check your local library.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #1565
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
I don't see any magnesium supplemention at all here....you need that along with D3 and Vitamin K2 to keep calcium in line...magnesium is one of the most widely used (1300+ reactions in various body systems) and critical minerals.

Magnesium Miracle By Dr. Carolyn Dean...check your local library.
My calcium actually contains magnesium at a calcium:magnesium ratio of 2:1.

I have been thinking about adding more magnesium but am not sure which type nor how much. Mag citrate and mag oxide are the most common, but I believe they may both have potential laxative effects, which I would prefer to avoid! (oxide is recommended to those who get "backed up" as a result of supplementing with calcium, and citrate is used for bowel cleanses)
Old 10-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #1566
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Help!

So, I've been following the NK way for a good solid 4-6 weeks and have lost NOTHING!

Here is what my averages have been over that period of time

Kcals 1227
Fat 105.1g 76%
Carbs 18g 6%
Fiber 6.6g
Protein 53.9g 18%

This is an average from all the days a logged in the past two months.

Before I started focusing on fat, I was just doing low-carb. These are the numbers from my very 1st month of LC. I lost 12 pounds that month.

One month average-
Kcals 1233
Fat 91.9g 67 %
Pro 85.5 29 %
Carbs 14.2g 4 %

So, my question is What do I do to lose weight? Should I just focus on calories? Should I just focus on total carbs?

Confused. I've been eating LC for 8 months and haven't lost any weight for 3 months. Just been holding steady, which is great, but I don't want to maintain YET.

Doesn't look like I eat very many calories, but some days its over 2000 and other days its lower.
Goal 4: 145

Last edited by melisa82; 10-23-2012 at 01:18 PM..
Old 10-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #1567
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Hi Melissa, I hear your frustration...I've been doing the same...LC for a couple years and no loss, and now NK for 8 weeks and 2# loss in all that time, none in the last couple weeks, and no longer in ketosis per the strips no matter what I do. There is a book about this by a Swedish (?) guy named Sten Skaldeman or something like that. He states that it takes some people up to 6 months to get into ketosis and have results that we all want. I figure I'm one...and maybe you are too. I keep going up and down the same 2# from my initial loss. But I'm feeling healthy and enjoying what I eat, so I'm staying the course. You might try to UP your fat into the 80-83% range. That's what usually helps people. I do my "losses" when I do fat fasts...90-91% fat!!! Guess that tells me that my 80% fat is not enough! But you have 67 to 76% fat shown, so try upping that and see what happens after a week with approx. 80% fat. Just an idea.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #1568
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Liz, are you feeling any better, just no appetite? Mine comes and goes it seems but I love the control and sometimes not wanting to eat and never it seems, wanting to over eat. Great change in my life.
I'm thinking it's just a blah feeling from the flu shot I got last week...
I should be happy I'm not hungry all the time, It's just that I love enjoying my food
Maybe I'm in deep ketosis? I'm hoping tomorrow morning when I jump on the scale it's below my original goal of 145. I'd be happy with 144.9
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #1569
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I got some *really* awesome news today. The reason I originally got started back on low carb a few weeks ago was that I was seeing floaters which are a sign of diabetic eye problems. Well apparently it is also just a sign of getting older! So funny that I'm willing to happily accept eye problems as long as they are not caused by those &^%#@ carbs. But I'm really happy about this. I think it will also help me to stick to this woe bc I won't be as trigger happy with the insulin if I'm not thinking every highish number means imminent blindness. Low blood sugars are one of the surest ways to failure for me, so it is better to ease in while letting my sugars run a little higher than optimal.

And when I left the doctor's this morning I had a little breakthrough. My first thought was to celebrate with a treat. So, I drove to starbucks and on the way thought that a really nice thing to do for myself would be to not have a treat. And I didn't! I need to practice making those kind of decisions a little more often. I am certain that I feel much better now than I would have if I had had that... I don't want to think about it!

ckd support group thread

gynema thread

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb, intermittent fasting
I have walked 162 miles since April 1.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #1570
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
And when I left the doctor's this morning I had a little breakthrough. My first thought was to celebrate with a treat. So, I drove to starbucks and on the way thought that a really nice thing to do for myself would be to not have a treat. And I didn't! I need to practice making those kind of decisions a little more often. I am certain that I feel much better now than I would have if I had had that... I don't want to think about it!
Awesome job deciding not to celebrate with a food treat! I have trouble with those same types of decisions. It's pounded into our brains even as kids that celebrate = food (especially SWEET food). Get a good grade in school? Here's some candy! Birthday party in the elementary class? Cupcakes for everyone! Party before a holiday break? Let's have an ice cream social! Coming up with inexpensive ideas of ways to celebrate without junk food is tough, but I love your thinking of having the decision to NOT have the treat be the reward in itself. Excellent.

OH, and, of course, hurray for no diabetes-related eye health issues!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #1571
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I got some *really* awesome news today. The reason I originally got started back on low carb a few weeks ago was that I was seeing floaters which are a sign of diabetic eye problems. Well apparently it is also just a sign of getting older! So funny that I'm willing to happily accept eye problems as long as they are not caused by those &^%#@ carbs. But I'm really happy about this. I think it will also help me to stick to this woe bc I won't be as trigger happy with the insulin if I'm not thinking every highish number means imminent blindness. Low blood sugars are one of the surest ways to failure for me, so it is better to ease in while letting my sugars run a little higher than optimal.

YAY!! This is really great to hear!
And good for you for realizing that sometimes the best treat, is no treat at all
Old 10-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #1572
Senior LCF Member

Today went something like this:
  • protein shake
  • Mexican restaurant: spinach, grilled chicken, cranberries, and walnuts salad with balsamic vinaigrette
  • chili with cheese and sour cream
  • Brok's pizza
  • coconut bark

Totals:
5.83% carbs (35g total, 8g fiber)
64.04% fat (171g)
30.13% protein (181g)

Lunch was lower in fat than I would have liked. On to tomorrow!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #1573
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi everyone...hope your day was good.

PC, you are fun to watch! Love to see your numbers go down. I can't believe I can "get by" with all this fat either, brain-washing from a wonderful mother, and I am loving HWC in my coffee all the time. I haven't bought the half-n-half in 6 weeks, Red got me straight on that one!

Shelly, I follow the PACE program, Al Sears, MD; and walk 30 min daily with dogs. It's quick and easy, based on fast burst, followed by slow action; building up the timing. I use hand weights when I think about it, mostly I stretch, and flex muscles...sometimes when I am tired during excessively long web-calls (no camera moment). I think your plan is good...the quicker to breakdown, the faster to heal/build. Everyone has opinions on this stuff; I say do what you feel good doing!

Deb - we are big-time talkers on benefits of magnesium. I take 600-800 daily, in two doses. Most of us supplement as well. What does my hubby eat? He is LC too, easy loss for him 40 lbs six months, makes me snarky thinking about it! He has his "twigs" cereal with nuts on Saturdays, because I sleep in and won't get up to make eggs! He eats fruit too. But he eats large LC salads, I do not. We eat the same thing maybe four nights a week. Hardly eat out exception of trips. Tomato soup sounds like it could be high in carbs, yes, but add a bunch of HWC and butter, I do, and DH loves it; I do not really care for it. Apples are lower glycemic index, however, they can make me hungry too, and I adore fiji apples. I bake them with tons of cinnamon/nutmeg and keep in refridge for DH.

Oh Melisa - that is so frustrating. I am only down 3 lbs, but I am close to goal. I expected trouble. What I am is "in control and not hungry". Red is excellent at the analysis of what folks can do to fix their diet, Buffy is as well. I am not the best logger or measurer around this thread! Shelly and I are hoping we are members of the "6 months to adjust" club!

Aliz - we are hoping for the loss for you too!

Jayne, that is such a huge relief on your eyes! Do you take the vitamins for eyes?

Jilly, your menu looks great! We have given up on mexican restaurants, seems one of us gets something and feel lousy the next day. Hidden carbs!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #1574
Big Yapper!!!!

Melissa, from what you wrote, 1200 or so being your "average" calories but that somedays you are way higher, like 2000 or so, then some days you must be really low on calories. That is the first thing that I thought of but heck, I am no expert on this, and I am losing very slowly.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #1575
Big Yapper!!!!

Jayne, good news on your eyes. I am behind in getting my annual exam, thanks for the reminder.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #1576
Big Yapper!!!!

After taking a couple of weeks off on the magnesium, I started back up yesterday with a dose of only 100 mg. So far no tummy pain. Wonder sometimes if it was really the mag causing that, or the beginning of this UTI slowly coming on. I wish for a medical scanner that runs over us and bingo, tells us exactly all we need to know for good heath, come on future machines!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #1577
Big Yapper!!!!

Jilly, your coconut bark is a version of what people are referring to when they say fat bombs. Many variations but all some type of concoction of usually CO, butter, AS, flavoring, some have cream cheese, some have nut butters, but they all served to give us that "bomb" of fat that we need to get our ratios up. So funny to type that, what we need to get our fat "up", har har har har har!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #1578
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Jilly, your coconut bark is a version of what people are referring to when they say fat bombs. Many variations but all some type of concoction of usually CO, butter, AS, flavoring, some have cream cheese, some have nut butters, but they all served to give us that "bomb" of fat that we need to get our ratios up. So funny to type that, what we need to get our fat "up", har har har har har!!!
Yeah, I did a search on here and found a few different variations. I ordered some coconut butter, and I have almond butter on hand, so I'm sure I'll be experimenting when I have some time!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:26 AM   #1579
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aeatinger
Morning all!

Weighed myself (started Friday) down almost 3 lbs! Feeling good about the quick start. Also LOVING the fact that I sit down with a portion that looks too small to fill me up right? And it really does. I didn't eat enough probably yesterday, but nothing sounded good and I didn't want to mess with it. Loving this board!

Amy
Old 10-24-2012, 05:07 AM   #1580
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Morning all!!still miss Red!!!holding at my 169.4 o yes I love....but had a tummy ache last night first time in months,don't no why,but a little better today.
You no if I don't eat around 1300-1500 cals I stall.i could not believe it but red told me that so when I tried that it worked. Another think I do is once a week I eat 1000 cals for that day,but only one time a week,I try to trick my body,I think it's working,still playing around with that. Hope all has a great LC day.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:24 AM   #1581
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
After taking a couple of weeks off on the magnesium, I started back up yesterday with a dose of only 100 mg. So far no tummy pain. Wonder sometimes if it was really the mag causing that, or the beginning of this UTI slowly coming on. I wish for a medical scanner that runs over us and bingo, tells us exactly all we need to know for good heath, come on future machines!!!
Pretty soon there'll be a smart phone app for that, lol!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #1582
Major LCF Poster!

I standing in line for that.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #1583
Senior LCF Member

Had my chili, cheese, and sour cream for breakfast this morning, but feeling very hungry for some reason. And I'm at work (so no coconut bark to nibble on). Going to be a loooong day if this doesn't improve...and a high calorie day! I've got almonds, deli meats and cheese, and beef jerky to snack on, but just don't usually feel this hungry so early in the day and so soon after the chili
Old 10-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #1584
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That would just be a dream!!!!!!!!! I too wish for that Buffy
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #1585
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Had my chili, cheese, and sour cream for breakfast this morning, but feeling very hungry for some reason. And I'm at work (so no coconut bark to nibble on). Going to be a loooong day if this doesn't improve...and a high calorie day! I've got almonds, deli meats and cheese, and beef jerky to snack on, but just don't usually feel this hungry so early in the day and so soon after the chili
I'm thinkin eat some jerky, that should do the trick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeatinger View Post
Weighed myself (started Friday) down almost 3 lbs! Feeling good about the quick start. Also LOVING the fact that I sit down with a portion that looks too small to fill me up right? And it really does. I didn't eat enough probably yesterday, but nothing sounded good and I didn't want to mess with it. Loving this board!

Amy
YAY Good for you!!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #1586
Senior LCF Member

GOOD morning ALL!

Ok so I jumped on the scale this morning and weighed 144.0 YESSSSS!
Even better than that is the fact that my clothes fit real nice

OH and today I QUIT smoking!

Hope you're doing good Red!!!

Yesterday was another low day cause I just wasn't hungry
B-coffee HWC
L-Raw almonds, Celery with almond butter
S-melted cheese w/pepperoni
D-few bites of squash and salmon

cal 1169
fat 94
pro 59
carb 20
Old 10-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #1587
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning gang!
Had come in hoping to see that Red had joined us again. Red, please check in and let us know you are ok. Not the same around her without you posting.

Amy, off to a great start. So glad you joined us. Be careful and make sure you eat enough, once ketosis kicks in it can be kind of easy to just skip eating, b/c you aren't hungry, but that backfires on us. We must eat enough so that we fuel our bodies and don't lose LBM.

Yes, gals, that scanner might be just the thing we need Apple to work on, pain on my elbow, here, take a quick look with my phone!!

I made the Cheri's taco soup that is going around the boards, it is very good. Took my DD who has had surgery some and she loved it too. I liked it so much that I had it for lunch yesterday and again for dinner.

Liz, on the 144!!! And, so happy to hear you are tossing the cigarettes too. When you said you had just started a year ago, I was . Wonder why anyone today would take up smoking, but I am getting older, I forget all the things I did when I was younger, and I did like smoking, until I begin to realize how offensive it was to others and how bad it made everything smell. Then, I kind of went "yuck" and quit after many years. It is hard but you can do it and you will smell like a pretty woman, not an ashtray!!!

Back on my low dose of magnesium and started my CoQ10 again.

Red, check in with us, that is an order Sir! You can't be Major and hide in your fox hole!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #1588
Major LCF Poster!

Do y'all use refind or unrefined co?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #1589
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Do y'all use refind or unrefined co?
I use unrefined. Currently Nutiva EVCO which I like more than the Barlean's I started out with. But I don't cook with mine. I just eat a tablespoon a couple of times a day.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #1590
Big Yapper!!!!

I lost a long post I had typed out on the CO. I use the same kind as Deborah, have tried several and DD and I agree that is the best tasting. I just ordered a 59 oz container of it, LOL. I make fat bombs for both of us and with that, in my coffee and baking some with it, it goes fast. Wish my fat would go as fast as the CO
Closed Thread