Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #1531
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Red dont no if you saw post but my h has a book he can email you if you woul like.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #1532
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning!

Oh Red, man, you are going through a war right now. Still think you should take up knitting baby booties or maybe toiled paper covers, keep your hands busy . Each day is a milestone towards your goal, you are doing great and don't even think about backsliding now. Get a puppy, take walks, lay outside in the sun, just do anything to try to keep your mind and hands and mouth occupied. We do really miss you.

PC, glad you lost that gained weight, now run, run and don't let it find you again

I saw a new low yesterday of 196.2. It was a little higher today but still, once I see a new low, I know it is coming to stay and then go lower. And, lost another inch off waist and 1/4 inch on thigh. Been looking around the house for the smallest item of clothing that I might have saved, gave most of them away over the past several years. I wanted an item to keep trying on each week until I could wear it, or at least it fit. Finally found an old pair of size 14 jean shorts yesterday and they will be perfect. Could get them on but needed about 2 inches to be able to close them, so, will try on once a week until those suckers fit. Right now my size 16 that were too tight fit just perfect if not a little loose.

Jilly, you are doing great and even saw a new low after your little hmmm, "discretion" yesterday. Pretty hard to resist Mom's pie but you stopped at one piece, we are proud of you! Now, get DH to either eat the rest or take it out of the house.

Rubi, my doctor says the same thing, once you get an infection, you have to have an antibiotic to clear it up and they are careful if you have diabetes, they want you on something right away. I really let this UTI get bad I guess, I am pretty sure the meds are working b/c I feel better but still have discomfort, even with the pain meds they gave me.

SG, I think I will take the Red Bee continuously for a while, due to my history of getting these UTI's. Then, as my health improves, maybe can back off to just taking as needed. They seem to have lots of benefits, such as helping skin, hair and nails, which I take other things for, I feel like I can drop some of those supplements and take the Red bee.

to Jem, The Loss Girl, Shelley, who else have I missed this morning! All of you are so valuable to our thread, I just can't tell you all how much I enjoy how much you all contribute to our discussion and support here.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #1533
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
I'm going to put my app.in a hospice group a nurse said they were good to work for,say a little pray for me?
I just did, lol! I hope you get the position; those patients need you!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #1534
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post

Gonna submerge again and try to check in later.

Whew this sucks. lol
Hang in there, Red! You're doing great!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #1535
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post

I saw a new low yesterday of 196.2. It was a little higher today but still, once I see a new low, I know it is coming to stay and then go lower. And, lost another inch off waist and 1/4 inch on thigh. Been looking around the house for the smallest item of clothing that I might have saved, gave most of them away over the past several years. I wanted an item to keep trying on each week until I could wear it, or at least it fit. Finally found an old pair of size 14 jean shorts yesterday and they will be perfect. Could get them on but needed about 2 inches to be able to close them, so, will try on once a week until those suckers fit. Right now my size 16 that were too tight fit just perfect if not a little loose.
Congrats on the new low, Buffy, and even bigger congrats on your non-scale victory now that your current size jeans are getting loose! You'll be in those size 14s soon!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #1536
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Hi all...nice to see Red coming up for air and "reporting in" to his harem.....3 days down and soon he will feel like a whole new man!!! Whoopppeee....keep it up Major Red!

PC...thinking of you today and hoping all goes well with your "chat" about your job/hours, etc. Hope it all goes as you want it to. Great news that you lost what you gained too! You're almost to the next "decade" lower! Wonderful!

Buffy...fabulous about the loss in inches, and that you saw a low on teh scale....I know you realize you'll be right back down there and lower soon. Love your experiment. Seems many of us are experimenting and I'm so glad we are all reporting in the results.

Today I start an experiment of heading to the gym to lift weights. I know I will gain water weight in the muscles, but I'm going for bodyfat loss and inch loss. We shall see. I will measure and report in as well.

Have a fabulous day everyone!!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #1537
Big Yapper!!!!

Shelley, good for you on going to the gym and doing weights. Size and fitness is really what matters, we would all be better off without the scales. We never had one when I was young, I just went by how my clothes fit, if they started feeling a little tight, I just moved more and ate a little less until they fit right again. It was so simple then.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #1538
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Deborah. Each new low makes me feel sooo good, no matter how small of a loss it is. There that darn scale is, becoming sooo important to us, LOL
Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #1539
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post

Congrats Buffy on your new low

Red, You're doing GREAT! and inspiring me to quit smoking as well. I haven't been smoking for more than a year so I'm hoping it won't be so bad. I'm just ready to feel completely healthy and I feel the smoking is what's holding me back from that complete feeling.

I have some catching up to do on reading the last couple days of posts..I hope everyone had a great weekend

I didn't do so well on eating enough this weekend, I went to the pumpkin patch with my BF and his family so I brought a small amount of almonds and a fat bomb because I knew there wouldn't be friendly food around.

Saturday
cal 1471
fat 120
pro 77
carb 13

Sunday not enough, but couldn't force myself
cal 1065
fat 79
pro 61
carb 15

I need to find a website that converts my numbers into percentages.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #1540
Major LCF Poster!

Aliz...****** does and it's free.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #1541
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: annedawso
Been following more or less 80/15/5 for a fortnight now.
A typical days food is

Monday
Brunch - broccoli and leek soup, fried bacon rashers x2 and one egg
Tea - chicken wings x 4 cauli and broccoli.
2 tablespoons coconut oil
78% fat
17% protein
5% carbs.

I have eaten low carb on and off for ten years but never this amount of fat.
feeling really full, and up to now has stopped my normal chocolate cravings, which are what normally sabotage my diet.
Gone from 154lb to 148.8lb in two weeks.
Absolutely delighted as been roughly 154lb on and off for months.

Though must admit don't get what the difference is between 80/15/5 and nutritional ketosis.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #1542
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizgurl View Post
I need to find a website that converts my numbers into percentages.
What do you use to log your food, calories, etc.? Many sites automatically give you the percentages when you log your food there. I know portcop mentioned ****** already, and I use the "My Plate" feature from livestrong (also free online).

If you want to do the percentages yourself, you can do so with some relatively simple math. Fat is 9 calories per gram, and carbs and protein are each 4 calories per gram. So, for what you posted for Sunday:
fat 79 (711 calories)
pro 61 (244 calories)
carb 15 (60 calories)
That's 1015 calories total (I know that's not what you had, but since food labels in the US typically round to whole numbers for grams of macros, the numbers almost never work out perfectly). So:
711/1015 = 70% fat
244/1015 = 24% protein
60/1015 = 6% carbs
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 10-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #1543
Senior LCF Member

I am DRAGGING today. Super tired. Just want to curl up and take a nap. I'm wondering if it could be because I haven't taken my B12 in a while. Need to break open a new bottle and remember to take it daily! I'll pop 2 when I get home and hope that helps a bit. Meanwhile, just need to stay awake for 45 more minutes at work...
Old 10-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #1544
Big Yapper!!!!

Anne, glad to have you here! Great start, KUTGW
Old 10-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #1545
Big Yapper!!!!

To me, 80/15/5 is a version of NK, or the same, I don't know, just know I am following it and it is slowly working and I am loving it.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #1546
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
What do you use to log your food, calories, etc.? Many sites automatically give you the percentages when you log your food there. I know portcop mentioned ****** already, and I use the "My Plate" feature from livestrong (also free online).

If you want to do the percentages yourself, you can do so with some relatively simple math. Fat is 9 calories per gram, and carbs and protein are each 4 calories per gram. So, for what you posted for Sunday:
fat 79 (711 calories)
pro 61 (244 calories)
carb 15 (60 calories)
That's 1015 calories total (I know that's not what you had, but since food labels in the US typically round to whole numbers for grams of macros, the numbers almost never work out perfectly). So:
711/1015 = 70% fat
244/1015 = 24% protein
60/1015 = 6% carbs
I use "carb diet" app on my iphone. It has over 600 restaurants with their full menus as well as just about every food out there, if not, you can just add your own recipes....
It's much easier than trying to use ****** and the ****** app always crashes.
Thanks for the info, I'll use that method for now.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #1547
Senior LCF Member

Hi...I"m back from the gym. Felt so good to move and lift heavy weights...tried the "slow burn" method of 10 seconds pushing and 10 seconds returning. Different. I didn't use heavy as I have in the past since I haven't been to the gym in 4 months. Yikes! Felt good to be back and see familiar faces. I'll go Mon/Wed/Fri...that's my plan.

Buffy...congratulations to you and your daughter....how fun to be nearly identical weight and losing at the same...I think that type of "loving competition" is super healthy and will keep you both on track.

Welcome to the new people, but it's fun to always see the new people have been on the same journey before finding us. Atkins or low carb....already familiar with the "idea" of the low carb eating, but now lowering protein and adding in tons of fats...yummy fats! Welcome everyone!
Old 10-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #1548
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Hi...I"m back from the gym. Felt so good to move and lift heavy weights...tried the "slow burn" method of 10 seconds pushing and 10 seconds returning. Different. I didn't use heavy as I have in the past since I haven't been to the gym in 4 months. Yikes! Felt good to be back and see familiar faces. I'll go Mon/Wed/Fri...that's my plan.

Buffy...congratulations to you and your daughter....how fun to be nearly identical weight and losing at the same...I think that type of "loving competition" is super healthy and will keep you both on track.

Welcome to the new people, but it's fun to always see the new people have been on the same journey before finding us. Atkins or low carb....already familiar with the "idea" of the low carb eating, but now lowering protein and adding in tons of fats...yummy fats! Welcome everyone!
Shelly, Great job on the weight lifting!! I need to start going a little more. It really feels great to have some strength and feel toned also.

I have no appetite lately, I just ate a burger patty with cheese and bacon and feel like I could go without eating the rest of the day! I'm gonna get some HWC to whip up and eat it with splenda later.
I'll find a way to get another 25g of protein in also. (any suggestions would be appreciated)
just feel BLAH...maybe from the flu shot I got a few days ago.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #1549
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hi to all.

Buffy, I try to track and monitor, but right now work is really stressful and busy (I am still at work now!), so I am doing the eat right when hungry....almost grabbed a low carb bar in my desk, then decided to make a walk by the cafeteria, and voila, there were meat sticks, bacon, and cheese sticks, and one serving sized packages of Mac Nuts! An angel heard me coming! I keep a list of all medication allergy and important, especially if you are in emergency, keep a list of supplements you take. Your surgeon must know this stuff.

Jilly - you are doing great. I love your posts. I could not get by without my B12, and all the "new" benefits they have found by taking it.

Jayne - DM I is a tough patient at times, but you seem to be doing good. I love the website Health Sciences Institute, for great new clinical breakthroughs, not mainstream -- because those are profit-driven for the most part. Some is clinical, but most is very readable, and science-based, not wacky. Challenge your health care provider, viral v. bacteria for antibiotics. Remember that as you lose, get the sugar out, you should improve on the UTIs.

PC, that darn gum, it got me too. Go with your heart on a new job, gotta love what you do.

Hey Red. Glad to hear from you. Hang in there.

Buffy, the knitting idea sounds perfect for Red!! Yea for the loss!

Alizgurl - just add a bit more fat, in yummy ways! Quitting smoking is a good thing to do, doesn't take long for your lungs to clear, and reduce many potential future issues. Bacon is second to chocolate to me -- and great for protein/fat. I love egg salad, more protein/fat, just use the yolks if you don't need much protein.

WELCOME Anne...dark chocolate is my downfall, that and dark choco/peanut butter. Now I don't crave either. I can stare at it. Life is grand! Wonderful on your loss, that is exceptional!

Shelly, let us know how you feel after that Slow Burn. I have some small hand weights and want to try, but I need my arms to work!!!

Last edited by SouthernGirl61; 10-22-2012 at 06:49 PM..
Old 10-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #1550
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Thanks, SG, I'll check out that site.

I kinda crashed and burned today. I was doing really well yesterday and feeling great and then had an insulin reaction in the middle of the night and had a banana muffin (my kids are obsessed with these banana muffins from TJ's that I think are pretty unappealing, actually, like the only baked good on earth I don't like) and a big glass of milk. Sometimes when I have lows I can catch them early and recover without over-compensating, but if I wake up with one I'm toast and I have no control.

So then I got up and thought... a new day, power on. But I caved in the afternoon even though I had had lots of good fats earlier. I think I was just feeling really undermined and it was messing with my head.

I'm back on now though. I'm hoping that if I get a few carb free hours before bed, I'll feel a little less bloated tomorrow. The carbs actually made me feel really gross today, which is odd, never happened before in all my years of low carbing. I wonder if it has something to do with eating high fat.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
Old 10-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #1551
Major LCF Poster!

Well I'm home from work very tired for some reason, I went in to tell them that I can't work the 12 hour shifts,they decided not to do them.ya,,,now I just want to work 2 days a week and that's all,

My food for day
B- one egg 2pc bacon
2 cups coffee with hwc and co
D- 5.5 oz pot roast ,jalape˝o pepper,small cucumber .
Juices from pot roast with add co
Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #1552
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Good Morning to all!

Shelly, just starting reading emails this morning and a great study on ballerinas and bone density found it's way. I thought of you. The researchers compared the bone density of female ballet dancers and sedentary study participants who were divided in groups based on their Vitamin D levels. Their stunning conclusion was that the dancers with low Vitamin D levels maintained desirable bone density while their sedentary counterparts did not...(ref from study).....it's about exercises, extremely moderate, 15 min daily, and seems to guide to the "one size does not fit all"....and doing reps in short sets, resting 10 seconds between, or 20 if needed. "Muscular tension" and the "pressure of gravity" is what we need as we age to maintain our bone strength. Another great study by Dr Mehrsheed Sinaki from Mayo on simple back strengthening by lifting small weights targeting back muscles. Risk of fractures reduced by 3x! More moving, less fractures. Dr Robert B Salter also supports this methodology.

Maureen, I guess I don't understand how you fast as DMI. But studies do show LC to have better long term outcomes than the SAD.

Yea PC, that is great news on your job.

Well, time to make rounds, I'll check in with you later. have a great day!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #1553
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I went in to tell them that I can't work the 12 hour shifts,they decided not to do them.ya,,,now I just want to work 2 days a week and that's all,
I'm glad your talk at work went smoothly! I was worried about you.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #1554
Senior LCF Member

Good morning!

I added an unplanned snack yesterday afternoon to try to keep myself awake at work. It was almonds, though, so not too bad. Here's how the whole day shaped up for me yesterday:
  • chili with cheese and sour cream
  • 2 beef hotdogs sliced up with some shredded cheese melted on top, dipped in mixture of 2 T mayo and 1 T reduced sugar ketchup
  • salt and vinegar almonds
  • protein shake
  • rosemary balsamic marinated chicken breast with some shredded parmesan on top, steamed baby zucchini with butter and seasoning
  • coconut bark

Totals:
5.75% carbs (39g total but 12g fiber)
73.62% fat (222g)
20.63% protein (140g)

That put me at over 2600 calories for the day, but my unofficial peek at the scale this morning was still a friendly encounter. I'm not using any calculator to tell me how many calories I "should" be eating. Instead, I'm going to keep my calories as high as I can while losing so my body hopefully doesn't lower my metabolism to meet a lower calorie limit. I've been eating around 2100-2300 calories per day for the past week.

I really need to add some exercise. It's finding the time that is a challenge. I have an elliptical at home, but whenever I'm home, I have Mr. Baby to watch. I don't have the energy to fathom getting up earlier in the morning. Maybe I can move Mr. Baby's exersaucer into the room with the elliptical for 20-30 minutes in the afternoon after work. I don't feel I need exercise for weight loss, but I know (and have been reminded here) that it's important for bone density, not to mention cardiovascular health (my HDL has always been pretty low, and I believe exercise is believed to help that a bit). My vit D levels are actually slightly high, and I take a lot of calcium, but I do think the exercise is an important piece I've been missing.

I am loving the vanilla coconut bark, so I made a double batch last night. I have a mini loaf pan that holds 8 little loaves, so I used that instead of a pie plate, so now I have 8 nice little bars instead of broken up pieces. Makes it easier to track since I know I'm having about 1/4 of the total recipe each time, which is a tablespoon of CO, 1/4 tablespoon butter, 1/4 cup shredded coconut, and less than 1 packet/teaspoon of sweetener. What a great snack that feels like a candy bar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
I could not get by without my B12, and all the "new" benefits they have found by taking it.
What new benefits? I know it's important for energy and that very low levels can actually lead to potentially permanent nerve damage. Since I've had part of my stomach removed, which is where most Intrinsic Factor is generated in the body (required for B12 absorption), I have been supplementing B12 for about 3 years. But my level was actually high on labs about a year ago, so I started slacking off (though I never should have since high B12 is harmless). Now my levels are back down in the 500s, and I'd prefer them to be >1000, so need to remember to actually take it every day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I kinda crashed and burned today. I was doing really well yesterday and feeling great and then had an insulin reaction in the middle of the night and had a banana muffin (my kids are obsessed with these banana muffins from TJ's that I think are pretty unappealing, actually, like the only baked good on earth I don't like) and a big glass of milk. Sometimes when I have lows I can catch them early and recover without over-compensating, but if I wake up with one I'm toast and I have no control.

So then I got up and thought... a new day, power on. But I caved in the afternoon even though I had had lots of good fats earlier. I think I was just feeling really undermined and it was messing with my head.

I'm back on now though. I'm hoping that if I get a few carb free hours before bed, I'll feel a little less bloated tomorrow. The carbs actually made me feel really gross today, which is odd, never happened before in all my years of low carbing. I wonder if it has something to do with eating high fat.
jayne, it's all such a balancing act. I only had to deal with type 2 diabetes for about 2 years and never took insulin. I can't imagine the challenge of trying to accurately balance the insulin needs of type 1 with varying food intake each day. I get that super crappy feeling from too many carbs, so I know it's icky, and I hope you're feeling better!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #1555
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks loss girl and southren61 .guess what I'm on cloud nine,I weighted 169.4 this morning.unreal I'm haveing hwc in my coffee ever morning and losing weight, yehaw.....been years since I was in the 160 ish ...now I'm going to Puerto Rico .jan.31 so I would like to lose 20 lbs think I can do it that's 3 months away.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #1556
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!
Wow, lots of great posts.
Congrats PC on your new low, isn't that exciting! I am so happy for you! And, glad things worked out at work for you.

Jayne, no control when you have an insulin reaction, you have to do what you have to do.

Shelly, great on getting to the gym/

Gotta run, friend stopping by, BBL
Old 10-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #1557
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well I'm home from work very tired for some reason, I went in to tell them that I can't work the 12 hour shifts,they decided not to do them.ya,,,now I just want to work 2 days a week and that's all,
Great news.....I'm "guessing" that you are exhausted from the stress involved in having to go tell the boss that you couldn't work the 12 hour shifts....that would do me in thinking about it. Hopefully you feel much better today. So happy you don't have those long shifts anymore!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #1558
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Good Morning to all!

Shelly, just starting reading emails this morning and a great study on ballerinas and bone density found it's way. I thought of you. The researchers compared the bone density of female ballet dancers and sedentary study participants who were divided in groups based on their Vitamin D levels. Their stunning conclusion was that the dancers with low Vitamin D levels maintained desirable bone density while their sedentary counterparts did not...(ref from study).....it's about exercises, extremely moderate, 15 min daily, and seems to guide to the "one size does not fit all"....and doing reps in short sets, resting 10 seconds between, or 20 if needed. "Muscular tension" and the "pressure of gravity" is what we need as we age to maintain our bone strength. Another great study by Dr Mehrsheed Sinaki from Mayo on simple back strengthening by lifting small weights targeting back muscles. Risk of fractures reduced by 3x! More moving, less fractures. Dr Robert B Salter also supports this methodology.
Very interesting information. My first D test showed levels were very very low! Maybe the exercise (ballet/jazz) is what kept me from ever going into osteoporosis.

My questions about exercise are whether to do heavy weights to failure, or light weights with lots of reps. So many different opinions, and, of course, being female and "old", I think it makes a lot of difference. I'm going for the heavy lifting..did not go to failure yesterday as it was my first day back, but when I go tomorrow, I will go to failure and up my weights. I'll have to look up the 2 docs you mention to try to understand what they are saying. Thanks for the info!!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #1559
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks loss girl and southren61 .guess what I'm on cloud nine,I weighted 169.4 this morning.unreal I'm haveing hwc in my coffee ever morning and losing weight, yehaw.....been years since I was in the 160 ish ...now I'm going to Puerto Rico .jan.31 so I would like to lose 20 lbs think I can do it that's 3 months away.
Woo hoo PC!!!! I"m so happy for you to get into the 160's! You are just moving right along. Congratulations!!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #1560
Senior LCF Member

Good morning ALL!

I still don't feel like eating but I managed to get enough food in yesterday..

I ate
B-coffee HWC, fat bomb
L- burger pattie w/bacon, cheese and some raw almonds
D-8 small chicken wings and then some whipped HWC with splenda

Cal 1631
fat 141
pro 75
carb 9
I'm pretty sure I guessed high on my food log so this is just an estimate.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Closed Thread