Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #1471
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Morning all,wooo hoooo....down again 170.6 I think I might see the 169 by the end of month
Woooo hoooo!!
Good for you!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #1472
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Good morning all!!

I can't log in with my phone for some reason so might not be able to post again till monday..

yesterdays meals...
B-coffee lots of HWC and fat bomb
L-black forest ham and cream cheese roll ups and some raw almonds
D-went to a really nice steak house and had a HUGE fatty ribeye with butter and a few fresh green beans

cal 1727
fat 150
pro 80
carb 15

A little more than I usually do but it was sooooo yummy!

Have a WONDERFUL weekend everyone
Old 10-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #1473
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Hello, everyone! I am just getting my feet wet with this nutritional ketosis stuff (I think!). I originally started low carbing in 2000, but didn't lose any weight at all. I assumed it was because I take insulin which seems to make weight loss pretty difficult generally. But, I stayed on it for almost four years, iirc, because I was bound and determined to have a baby and LC was the only way I had ever been able to control my blood sugar. So I had the baby (he's nine now!) and went back to my old ways after a while.

Then, not quite two years ago, I was trying to get my blood sugar back under control *again* and decided to just cut all carbs out completely for a few days with the plan to add them back in slowly after a few days. But, low and behold, I started losing weight, so I didn't start adding them back in until I had lost about 40 pounds (had nearly a hundred to lose, though), and then I just completely lost control, gained all the weight back, stayed in denial for quite a while, kept putting it off... until a few weeks ago when I realized that I was seeing floaters, which is a sign of diabetic eye problems. So now I've got a real serious reason to be back on... and here I am.

Nutritional ketosis and Phinney and Volek were not being talked about the last time I was in the know on this stuff. But it looks like just what I need! I've ordered the Low Carb Living book (was this the right one to get?) and it's supposed to be here today. I almost bought an extra copy for my kindle, but I really want to be able to underline and write in it and flip through. So, while I've been waiting for it, I've been doing something resembling what you guys are doing in preparation. I'm not being as precise, though. I have cut out carbs almost completely (yesterday only had some escarole and onions in my chicken broth for carbs) and have been paying attention to how much protein but not counting grams yet.

I am actually having issues with the fat and protein counting, which I feel a little silly about because as far as I can tell, no one else has trouble. I started a thread about it but nobody is really answering: need help measuring protein and fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
My weight was up again today...3# in 8 days. Hmm.....yesterday I did a little experiment on fasting b/g and then 1 hr PP and 2 hours PP after one slice of a gluten free piece of toast...my first grains in well over a year I think! Boy was that yummy on the taste buds....and my experiment was successful for my information. Fasting in the AM was 121 (high!!!!), 1 hour after my egg and toast it was 135 and 2 hours after my egg and toast it was 97. So.....I am not going to do fasting glucose any more, and it definitely tells me that I can't have any grains without having a spike in glucose. It was a last slice of GF bread that has been in the freezer forever...and I've been wanting it for months, so finally decide the "experiment" was going to get it out of the freezer, and tell me what I needed to know about my wonky b/g levels.
This experiment could turn out differently if done at a different time of day. My body (and I think this is true for other people, too, from reading at diabetes forums) is much more sensitive to carbs in the am. I need to use a ton more insulin to cover a set number of carbs then than later in the day.

Quote:
Morning all!!had good night at work I do a lot of walking there which is good.iam down another lb. yes 171 I can't wait to see 169 been a long time I'm getting there!! This is the first time in my life I ever went this long with no cheats since sept 6, you no on this nk I don't even think about cheating at work they had cookies and they looked good but I no if I ate one I would have been sick for x3-5 days just not worth it and if I want something sweet I eat coco bark.i love it...
I am not very far into this woe, just a few days, but I feel like it's going to be easier to keep from cheating (knock wood). I am so, so addicted to carbs and have had a lot of trouble sustaining a low carb lifestyle, but somehow I feel like this is different. I feel so much more satisfied even though I am eating a very small quantity of food. It's not very different than my last foray into low carbing -- all I ate was meat and 2 oz of cheese per day -- but I guess that was way too much protein to get this effect.

Darin, I'm rooting for you with the quitting! I quit 16 years ago and I think it was the hardest thing I've ever done. But it is so, so worth it once you get past that point where you are really over it. I used to promise myself that I'd start again when I was 80, but now I'm not sure I want to. I think I may be really over it. Take it easy on yourself in other areas. It really is a huge big deal, so you deserve a little pampering.

Sorry this is so long! I have been reading these threads for days now!

ckd support group thread

gynema thread

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb, intermittent fasting
I have walked 162 miles since April 1.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #1474
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Rub....welcome,I can tell you if you eat enough fat you will not be hungry, it really works. I can tell you co really helps a lot,I put it in my coffee and cook with it a lot.best diet pill I ever taken.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #1475
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.2/152
WOE: In Limbo
Start Date: Each day is a new day to start fresh.
Hi you guys. I stalk this thread. Hopefully portcop will vouch for me - that I'm not a stalker in a BAD way or anything!

Always reading the lower protein/higher fat iterations with interest and may be sticking my toe back in that water.

But....

I mainly wanted to pop in and say hi to you Darin, and wish you well with quitting smoking. IT'S THE HARDEST THING I'VE EVER DONE!!! But SO worth it. I was a complete raving b$%ch for about 3 months and then it started getting a little easier. Now it's been a LOOOOOONG time since I have had even a fleeting thought of smoking a cigarette. The day will come when you are SO HAPPY you did this!!!

I hope that wasn't completely inappropriate. I'm going to go eat some EVCO now.

DG
Old 10-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #1476
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Jayne, welcome! I record all my food and make lots of custom foods for myself using labels of things I use a lot. I read your other thread about chicken broth/fat, etc. I look on the label of my chicken broth and make a custom food of 1 cup. And that's as close as I'm getting. If you made yours with water/bone/meat, then just look up chicken broth and use whatever it says. If you haven't recorded your intake of foods (drink/anything that goes in the mouth), you may be quite surprised at your macros of protein/fat/carb. I'm like you and hardly consume any carbs at all. But they are in bacon, eggs, and other things that you wouldn't think would have carbs...thus the charting on whatever form you use.

Thanks for the information on testing glucose later in the day. I've never done that. It's always been first thing in the AM, and then my experiment of after breakfast with that slice of gluten free toast. I was glad it went down after 2 hours. I think you will do really well with this way of eating. It takes some fine tuning as to how many grams of protein/fat each person consumes, and most of us are still in the process of figuring out the "optimal" grams for ourselves with the help of each other. You will enjoy everyone on this thread as everyone is most helpful! Glad you are here!
Old 10-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #1477
Major LCF Poster!

Hi: DG,you are always welcome to stop by here.as you can see I'm doing pretty good here! As I say I think co is my best friend.i have 4 tbs a day.my h says you think that's good for you!!i said makes me feel good.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #1478
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Today, I consumed the following:
  • protein shake
  • chili with cheese and sour cream
  • movie theater: grilled chicken salad with poppyseed vinaigrette (dressing seemed sweet, but they had very few dressings to choose from...)
  • beef jerky
  • Corner Bakery Cafe: a little egg salad and a small caesar salad (no croutons)
  • 2 T butter

I won't even bother trying to log it because I know it won't be accurate. It is what it is!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #1479
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
PC, great report again! You are going to do this! So proud of you!

Shelly, Kerrygold has cheese?? That sounds wonderful. Great on your no lower back pain. I walk so much at work, keeps me up and about...sit some for computer work, but I have a stand-station now that is great for working on computer.

Welcome Jayne! Red posted info at the very beginning, he helps us all to get our numbers right. I had to play around with mine for about three weeks to figure out what worked. I use ****** too. Found out "winging it" just didn't work.

Red, hope you are not biting your knuckles, we are thinking about you. In thinking back "in another life" when I worked at a Rehab hospital, we worked with the dietician/patients to increase dopamine and serotonin levels while patients were in withdrawal from anything. Your neurotransmitters are going bonkers right now, as nicotine is such a powerful hit to the body. I remember giving education sessions on drug addiction, and nicotine was listed #2 behind cocaine. Amazing. It has a marker on your brain, the neurotransmitter is going to be pressuring you to find it. With our WOE, it may be difficult to quickly increase dopamine and serotonin levels, but eating dairy products, meats, poultry and nuts will encourage your brain to release dopamine and norepinephrine. These neurotransmitters act as stimulating substances to the brain and can help perk you up by making you feel more alert and sharpening your thinking--which is what the nicotine did. Meats and dairy products, help increase dopamine levels, eat almonds, avocados, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds. Dopamine also plays a role in mood.

Do you have any Vitamin B6?? B Complex will help a lot right now too. Foods leafy green vegetables, fish, poultry help elevate serotonin to "feel good" levels. Cold-water fish, such as tuna, herring, salmon and mackerel, are high in the B vitamins, which wil trigger the production of serotonin and are high omega-3. Omega-3 fatty acids in fish also help trigger the production of serotonin---which is our pleasure, lift of spirits, and has clinical data to relieve short term mild depression....which any one giving up smoking is likely to feel. It can cut that bad mood down a bit too.

The next great free thing to do is to get some sunshine. No sunscreen. I do not wear it, even at the beach, bad stuff. Several studies have shown that exposure to bright light such as sunlight increases serotonin levels in the brain. This is why folks get "addicted" to tanning beds. 20 minutes a day with shorts/tshirt is a great relief, and you are putting about 10,000 units of Vit D in your body at the same time!

Jilly - looks yummy to me! Movie night out? That is great!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #1480
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
I am here gang, DD decided to leave the hotel today and go on home, they have some help there with the kids and she was going stir crazy in the hotel. The timing worked out great for me, I had been feeling a UTI coming on and by today, it had hit me full force, so I left the hotel and went straight to an urgent care facility and yep, I had a really bad UTI according to the Dr., who prescribed antibiotic and said to get plenty of liquids, rest, etc. I asked if that was why I was beginning to feel like I had the flu and he said yes, I could even start running a fever as bad as it was. Darn!

But, I got on home and have been resting since. Hope I feel better tomorrow.

Now, the good thing, it has pretty much killed my appetite and I have no desire to eat for comfort, just my LC things. Now, I would welcome some LC comfort ideas, can't really think of much right now but hopefully tomorrow, I will feel like finding and making a soup of some kind.

Great progress and posts everyone. Doggygirl, you are of course welcome to stalk us, better yet, hang out with us!!

Welcome Jayne, glad to have you join us.

Red, hang in there, let us know you are ok.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #1481
Major LCF Poster!

Buffy sorry for you! I used to have them all the time,they told me to drink beer,it worked most of the time.there is some low- carb beer out there...but it has yeast in it which I can not have now. Sending you hugs and get better soon!!

Red I sure hope you are ok, we sure miss you here,we would be lost without you.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #1482
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks PC. I have never liked beer, so doubt I will use that cure. I have always been told cranberry juice, and that does help, but can't drink a bottle of juice these days.

Forgot when I was at the Dr., that Cipro causes me insomnia, so here I am awake, in the middle of the night. Have tossed and turned all night long. Hope that part wears off soon.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:11 AM   #1483
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Good morning everyone!

I've brought the sub to periscope level for communication with the mainland.

Currently my status is screwdriver in the temple headache and discombobulated. Yesterday was pretty bad and I ate about, OMG, 5000 calories lol. I wasn't hungry for 5k in calories. I pigged out on almonds trying to take my mind off of the urges to smoke. I finished a book I'd started the night before. Pretty much read that most of the day to keep myself distracted.

My sense of smell is already returning. That is one thing I was so surprised about when I quit for that year. That was the first time I'd ever smelled the horrible awfulness that non-smokers remark on. I am getting whiffs of that already and no one but me smoked around here so it is all just left over stench.

Ya'll are doing great!

Thanks for all the support and good vibes you guys. I appreciate it.

Buffy, I think you can get a fairly LC diet cranberry juice.

I do have a super B complex supplement. I'll take that when I eat something here in a bit. Thanks for the tip

Alright. Got to submerse to a safe depth - safe for ya'll lol. Tonight at 7pm is my 72 hour mark
Old 10-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #1484
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aeatinger
Red- good for you with the non-smoking! I've not smoked and cannot imagine the hardship of quitting.

On my 3rd day of LCHF and I have to say that my stomach already looks smaller! Going to weigh tomorrow as my DH was still asleep and my scale doesn't light up so I have to turn on lights to see. Been diligently putting in foods in my tracker.

Question does ****** not have a droid app? It's my fav but I need something more portable.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:42 AM   #1485
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
Darin, so proud of you! Go-go-go-go! You are getting SO HEALTHY AND fit!
Old 10-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #1486
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
I may have to acquiesce to Red's wisdom when he expressed the importance of eating more to me. The upper daily calorie limit I have set for myself is 1450. I normally stay about 1200 - 1300 though. Well, Friday that all went down the drain. For some reason I got a hold of some CarbSmart chocolate ice cream and ate two big bowls of it. Also had fruit. So carbs were up, calories were up. Calories were WAY up.

The next day, Saturday, I stepped on the scale ready to face my punishment. I had LOST .2 pounds. Okay, that's not much, but I expected a gain. I figured I'd log my little loss if it held until today.

So Saturday I stayed on plan, but had nuts, watermelon (eek!), and the rest of the ice cream, which was a normal amount this time, lol. Calories were closer to my upper limit.

Stepped on the scale...the same as the day before!!!!!

I've been so protecting my weight loss that I've been afraid to eat a normal amount of food. Not having much hunger has helped me to do that. Today I will stay on plan again, but no more ice cream for awhile! Also, I am inching my carbs up to about 25 for now. And calories up a little bit to 1500.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #1487
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I am here gang, DD decided to leave the hotel today and go on home, they have some help there with the kids and she was going stir crazy in the hotel. The timing worked out great for me, I had been feeling a UTI coming on and by today, it had hit me full force, so I left the hotel and went straight to an urgent care facility and yep, I had a really bad UTI according to the Dr., who prescribed antibiotic and said to get plenty of liquids, rest, etc. I asked if that was why I was beginning to feel like I had the flu and he said yes, I could even start running a fever as bad as it was. Darn!

But, I got on home and have been resting since. Hope I feel better tomorrow.

Now, the good thing, it has pretty much killed my appetite and I have no desire to eat for comfort, just my LC things. Now, I would welcome some LC comfort ideas, can't really think of much right now but hopefully tomorrow, I will feel like finding and making a soup of some kind.

Great progress and posts everyone. Doggygirl, you are of course welcome to stalk us, better yet, hang out with us!!

Welcome Jayne, glad to have you join us.

Red, hang in there, let us know you are ok.
GM Buffy, ouch, I hate those UTIs. Google new cranberry and women and infections. New study out just killed the story that it helps. Will mess up blood sugar too. Now, my youngest, DD2, has a pool at her apartment and hot tub that she loves, and so came the UTIs. I put her on Red Bee Propolis, and it kicks butt for UTIs. This is my only "go to" supplement when I get either a viral or bacteria infection; as I am deathly allergic to antibiotics. The only brand that has clinical data to support is NaturaNector Red Bee Propolis, go to Amazon, it's the cheapest; but it is availabe on the company website too. 2 a day with a UTI comes on for a week will kill it. Besides time and water, there is little else that will do good. A massage to the lower abdomen may help with the movement, and get the bad out faster.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:11 AM   #1488
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Good morning everyone!

I've brought the sub to periscope level for communication with the mainland.

Currently my status is screwdriver in the temple headache and discombobulated. Yesterday was pretty bad and I ate about, OMG, 5000 calories lol. I wasn't hungry for 5k in calories. I pigged out on almonds trying to take my mind off of the urges to smoke. I finished a book I'd started the night before. Pretty much read that most of the day to keep myself distracted.

My sense of smell is already returning. That is one thing I was so surprised about when I quit for that year. That was the first time I'd ever smelled the horrible awfulness that non-smokers remark on. I am getting whiffs of that already and no one but me smoked around here so it is all just left over stench.

Ya'll are doing great!

Thanks for all the support and good vibes you guys. I appreciate it.

Buffy, I think you can get a fairly LC diet cranberry juice.

I do have a super B complex supplement. I'll take that when I eat something here in a bit. Thanks for the tip

Alright. Got to submerse to a safe depth - safe for ya'll lol. Tonight at 7pm is my 72 hour mark
You can do it Red! We are here with you. I was talking to ED nurse friend....and she quit smoking (nurses, yes!!!) She reminded me of unknown common practice for detoxing/cleansing.....

If you are still miserable after 72 hours, then you may want to consider a very short treatment--2 days-- to quickly detox your body. Activated Charcoal Powder tabs/capsules. This is not your backyard BBQ folks. Pharmacy will have it. I have had to take to rid of medications causing lasting allergic reactions. We use this in the ED when overdosing has occurs. Activated Charcoal Powder does NOT take part in ANY Chemical Reactions in the Body, but it does act like a powerful electrical sponge, attracting and holding onto ANY Gases, Fluids and/or Solids, which do NOT belong in your Body. Research it, Google CharcoalRemedies (typed like that yes) talk to a pharmist friend, doctor, see if it's something you feel comfortable with. It may speed the nicotine half-life from your body. Vitamins and supplements will go too, so if you do this, do not bother taking them at the same time!

Last edited by SouthernGirl61; 10-21-2012 at 06:28 AM..
Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #1489
Major LCF Poster!

Yes Red you can do it!!we are all rooting for you!!Red my husband said he has a book he can e- mail you if you want, it was really the way he lost after 40 years of smoking,
Well I was up .6 this morning but that's ok I had 2 oz cheese plus 3 tbs cream cheese,cheese for me is one of those things that makes me stall or gain,and I no it but was good,also I had couple piece of sf gum,that is another thing is a no no for me.gets me ever time. Plus my back is hurting a little .and I'm a little stress about my job to,but I made up my mind last night,going to tell them I was hired for prn no more than 2 days a week and no 12 hour shifts if they can not except that,I will have to give my notice,they are so short on CNA,but it's always been like that,and will always be like that. I just feel so sorry for the patients.so I need to just quit stressing over this,,it's what it is.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #1490
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Plus my back is hurting a little .and I'm a little stress about my job to,but I made up my mind last night,going to tell them I was hired for prn no more than 2 days a week and no 12 hour shifts if they can not except that,I will have to give my notice,they are so short on CNA,but it's always been like that,and will always be like that. I just feel so sorry for the patients.so I need to just quit stressing over this,,it's what it is.
My husband is a hospice nurse and he always talks about how important it is to have CNAs that actually want to be there for more than just a paycheck. Love what you said about the compassion you feel for your patients. Do you work in a hospital?
Old 10-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #1491
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning everyone! Red, glad you came to the surface to check in. Keep doing what you are doing best right now, QUITTING SMOKING. SG has a lot of good info for you, wow, how helpful!!!

Aeatinger, sounds like you are off to a good start, it does get easier, quicker as you become familiar with what you can eat and what you can't but it pretty much consumes you at first and you really need that time to immerse yourself in it. KUTGW

Deborah, interesting on the calories. I really think you should explore it more, and adjusting to higher calories while being able to maintain is a good thing, plus more carbs. I have not logged my food since Wed. since I was gone and I just feel like I was eating more calories and especially cheese than I had been and I am at a new low this AM. Not much, looks like I am going to lose like a turtle but I really don't care as long as I see it slowly inch downward.

Thanks SG, will go look up the Red Bee Propolis, sounds like a supplement I definitely need to add to my cabinet. We are so lucky to have you on our thread.

PC, wow, it is so hard for them not to overschedule you, I am sure they are so short of help. I am sure you walked enough yesterday to compensate for the cheese you ate.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #1492
Big Yapper!!!!

PC, are you perhaps noticing that your weight is up after a day of working? Just wondering if being on your feet all day causes a temporary bounce, kind of like traveling can?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #1493
Big Yapper!!!!

How is everyone else doing today, be sure and chime in, so glad to have our newer members!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #1494
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Hey Red! Hat's off to you for stopping smoking especially while trying to lose weight. That's a monumental effort and I know that it will get easier as time goes by.

Sorry to hear about the UTI Buffy! Be careful on that Cipro. My DH had a really bad reaction to it and I know that more information came out recently about how widespread the side-effects are. I hope that you're feeling better soon.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #1495
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Hey Red! Hat's off to you for stopping smoking especially while trying to lose weight. That's a monumental effort and I know that it will get easier as time goes by.

Sorry to hear about the UTI Buffy! Be careful on that Cipro. My DH had a really bad reaction to it and I know that more information came out recently about how widespread the side-effects are. I hope that you're feeling better soon.
I know Kristn, I hate most of the antibiotics but I really let this UTI get bad before I went to the Dr., big mistake. OTOH, I was having them almost back to back and this is the first one I have had since getting back on LC. Hoping that I go longer and longer between bouts as I continue to keep the sugar out of my system.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #1496
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I am at a new low this AM. Not much...
Congratulations! Doesn't matter how big or small your losses are. As long as you are losing, you are winning!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #1497
Big Yapper!!!!

SG, I just ordered the Red Bee Propolis. Do I take this all the time or just when I feel a UTI coming on? TIA
Old 10-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #1498
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Congratulations! Doesn't matter how big or small your losses are. As long as you are losing, you are winning!
Thanks Deborah, I feel the same way!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #1499
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Good morning. So good to see Major Red coming up from the depths of the ocean to check in with us. You can do this!!!!! We are all here pulling for you. Love the idea of the charcoal from SoGirl! I did that years ago for something and it did work! Can't remember what anymore.

PC....My heart aches for what you are going through on your job situation. It will be sad if they don't stick to their agreement in hiring you...sure hope they do so that you can continue to work there and yet not be stressed with the days/hours they want you. It's sort of a double edged sword for you...wanting to help the patients and wanting the job as outlined when you were hired, and yet realizing that it's "too much" for you but also realizing how much you are wanted/needed, etc. Should make you feel good even though the situation isn't what it should be. Sure hope that works out for you soon!

Good going on all the losses everyone. Yes...even a fraction of a pound is a good day of loss! Wish I could report the same. Did my weight/inches this AM and am not heading the right way. Didn't bother checking ketones as I've been out of range for so long I'm sure I am not back in, even with "perfect" eating other than my one GF toast test for the effect on glucose readings. The tape measure is going the wrong way too which is most frustrating. I can deal with weight gain (muscle?), but not inch gain. I know I"m losing LBM and gaining fat (per the Tanita). So, at the 8 week mark (tomorrow is start of week 9), I think that the waiting this out for 6 months is going to be excruciating if I continue to gain weight and inches. I just keep telling myself that Sten S. said some people take 6 months to get into ketosis....leave it to me to be one of those few!

Anyway, had to tell you that I went to the County Health Fair yesterday (this will be long...sorry....please feel free to skip!). First person I encountered was a nice thin man with his booth to do individualization/custom eating plans...was fun! He spoke for a while about how he custom tailors a program for age, sex, etc. and that he said I looked really healthy and so I asked him what he would devise for someone my age, size, etc. He said probably something like 100-150 grams of carb and 150 grams of protein and nonfat! I just laughed. I asked what he thought that would do to the scale and fasting glucose levels. He looked shocked! So, I asked a few more questions before he realized that I knew something about grams/macros, etc. and then he asked me how I ate! Too funny. told him that *his* program would have me sick and weighing 400# and that I consume 80-85% fat and under 20 TOTAL carbs and about 50-60 grams of protein. He just froze and said that he's never heard of that other than Atkins. I told him this is NOT Atkins as I don't eat veggies, salads, etc. I asked if he had heard of nutritional ketosis and he said no. Now how sad it is that this man is charging people who are desperate to lose weight $$$ to be made sick and fat with nonfat and HIGH carbs and protein grams??? Made me sad to think of it.

There was a very fit woman who has an exercise studio and trains people to do "Prime Effect" which is the slow burn weights thing that Mike was talking about a while back....15 minutes 2 times a week. I'm going to check her out! She does a free consultation and 2 free training sessions so that you can see how you feel in a week. Why not! She is really fit, and we had a nice long talk about age, weights, etc.

OH...and there was a machine (from Japan) that measures your current status on metabolizing foods and vitamins. I was watching others get tested and most were in the "F" (fail) range with scores under 10,000. 50,000 and above is the "A" grade and fabulous. The ZUMBA instructor at the gym I belong to scored 49,000 and she has a supplement (vitamins/minerals, etc.) that she uses for one meal replacement a day and she's a mom of 2 and VERY fit and energetic. Anyway, she told me to go be tested. I did. I also received a 49,000 score so they did NOT tell me anything about their vitamin product as what I was doing was working. Woo hoo on that!!! And they asked me how many servings of fruits and veggies I got a day before the test. I said 0-1 and got a very strange look...and then when they got my score, they asked how I was eating to be that high of a score with no fruits/veggies. Pretty funny. I had a great time!

Anyway..it was fun. Sorry this is so long.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #1500
Big Yapper!!!!

Good post Shelley, sounds very very interesting.
Closed Thread