Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #1351
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post

I have hazel eyes so that is probably a factor.

Red hair and hazel eyes. We are one step closer to revealing Red's true photographic identity!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #1352
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
To paraphrase the esteemed Dr. Phinney....

Everyone has a 'window' of weight. The body is fairly lax about how much fluid it retains at any given time and this is generally about 4 pounds worth.

Think of it as one of those horizontal lava doodads with the blue fluid doing a seesaw motion.

So.

You are kicking butt and shedding weight. You weigh in at the low point on the seesaw with your fluid balance low.

A day or a week goes by and you weigh in again. You *have* lost 2 pounds. *But* the seesaw of fluid is now at its high end completely masking your 2 pounds and possibly even showing a gain.

The next day you weigh in again, having lost another .5 pound off your body for real but the blue fluid has tilted to its low end this time and WHOOSH you see a 5 pound drop!

That is why daily weigh ins are interesting but if you happen to be blessed with a wildly tilting blue doodad you are gonna have baffling daily weigh ins. I think women are much more likely to experience these huge shifts than men because of several factors that I will mysteriously not elaborate on.

Love love love love LOVE this!!!!! (the blue fluid doodad is my favorite visual of the day, probably the week!!!!)
Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #1353
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
I'm having a bad reaction to my meds, can't focus, feeling faint, and having troubles even talking
I managed to get some HWC and coconut oil as well as a burger patty in today but I'm not sure I'll be able to eat anything else.

I'm around
cal 600
fat 62
pro 14
less than 2 carbs

Will this be ok just for today or should I force something else in later?
any suggestions?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #1354
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizgurl View Post
I'm having a bad reaction to my meds, can't focus, feeling faint, and having troubles even talking
I managed to get some HWC and coconut oil as well as a burger patty in today but I'm not sure I'll be able to eat anything else.

I'm around
cal 600
fat 62
pro 14
less than 2 carbs

any suggestions?
!?! Go to the ER!! That sounds incredibly serious!! Drink some broth while you are waiting on the ambulance!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #1355
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
!?! Go to the ER!! That sounds incredibly serious!! Drink some broth while you are waiting on the ambulance!
That was my thought at first but my nurse said just to come in tomorrow morning. If it keeps up, I'll go in.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #1356
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
That was my thought at first but my nurse said just to come in tomorrow morning. If it keeps up, I'll go in.
Ah, okay. So glad you were able to get a health care person to make the judgement! But dang it sounds serious!

Drink some broth anyway. It could be the electrolyte imbalance that LC'rs suffer from. Or that imbalance may be making the reaction to the medicine really bad.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #1357
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

I'm around
cal 600
fat 62
pro 14
less than 2 carbs

any suggestions?
Yes, eat if you can but if you can't don't worry about it. If you think it is up in the air about being able to eat then get your protein in and don't worry about the rest of the stuff.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #1358
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Today #
Cals-1355
Fat-129.2=83%
protein=44.4=14%
Carbs-11.1=3%

Still little low on protein
Old 10-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #1359
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Oh Jilly, a recipe? Humm, don't use many of those, but I have a little 8 oz container I keep in the bathroom, has a tight seal. I pour Arm&Hammer BS in there about 3/4 of the way, fork out the balls. Then I scoop out maybe 2 T of CO and use fork to blend in until crumbly; then add more oil if it looks dry and won't stick gently when I pick it up with a clean finger! When I think it's good, I take out my pink sea salt and add a teaspoon maybe, mix that in, then the peppermint oil, pure, not flavoring last. Fork it all together, keeps in the bathroom for about a month. Teeth are white-white and no gum or plaque issues. My CO oil is not hard unless I put in refrigerator - it's just warm to melting hot here most of the time. I put the coconut butter in the microwave at 50% power one minute to soften it for mixing, as I keep in the refrig!

Buffy - isn't it wonderful to find something fits when we didn't think it would!?

HW - wow, your numbers are fantastic! I know you feel great!

Red/Deborah/Buffy- like the information on "starve mode" -- I think it makes sense. I try to eat in between "fires" and meetings, sometimes I am not hungry, but to not eat before a long meeting makes me nervous. I have hypoglycemia, and I'd just as soon not faint in front of folks! And are we eating for emotions....wow, I used to do that, and not do that! Meaning I don't eat in emotional states...which can hurt you many ways! A rare moment at work, when I feel that heart-beating fast, I do sometimes think "dark chocolate" will fix this! But I know now, after talk-back to myself for years, that won't solve the problem.

Alizgirl - WELCOME and wonderful note! Upping the fat, per Red/Buffy/Kristn (from another thread) helped my inital problems. Cut the cravings and got off the stall.

Red - bummer on no Extra Small Frame guidelines, so I feel confident to go with the Small category. Yeah!

OKay, technical issue with ******, what do you do when it won't give you a new day??? It logged me in, now it sits there showing me prior days!??

Diana - this is when I would toss that scale!! If it angers you, then get rid of it. I am so happy to do the once a week now, took me a while to get there, but I use clothes, how they feel on me. Sunday morning is my day, and while I still "wait" for it sort-of...I am now confident that I will live through the day not knowing the magic number. I gave that sucker way too much power!

Shelly, we need to all put our creative minds together on you (and Diana), this stuff makes no sense. But then again, I keep telling myself the "may take six months thingy"...which means in early spring, maybe I will hit my goal after 2+ years!! Spring comes early here!

PC - I like your way of measuring! keeps it all simple, and yes, simple foods are my favorite, I hate thinking too hard on what to eat, technically I really don't care when DH asking what I want to eat? The evening call! you may look into online ordering of the CoQ....think of the savings in terms of reduced medical bills....a stent will cost you 40K; Cath Lab diagnostic procedures to see if you have issues can be 10K. Reduced BP reduces stroke risk, the drug in the ED we give within 3 hours of onset of stroke cost US about 5K. Think of the mark-up!

Alizgurl - do you have EpiPen?? I have severe medication allergies, I have six of them. Do you know why this happens? Broth is miracle stuff! So is benadryl liquid, it can settle a tummy gone bad, extreme nausea, and stop a huge histine reaction.

Got to get back to work, long day.....what is sleep???? Talk to you all tom!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #1360
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
For today:
  • chili with cheese and sour cream
  • work ordered from a pizza place, so I ordered a chef salad with Italian dressing. It ended up being LITE dressing
  • 2T butter
  • most of a small beef, roasted red pepper, and spinach pinwheel and a few petite Brussels sprouts (didn't love dinner AT ALL)
  • protein shake
  • cheese crisps
  • 2T butter
Totals:
6.12% carbs (33g - 8g fiber = 25 net carbs)
67.56% fat (162g)
26.32% protein (142g)

alizgurl, take care of yourself!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmsWay View Post
Suggestions? Increase the CO?
I'm snacking on butter. Yup
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmsWay View Post
Since I'm not exactly 80/15/5 (or even close to it yet), would you rather I not post on this thread? I don't want to confuse anyone......I just like the camaraderie and sense of humor in here.
I'm always going to be higher in protein (which means lower in fat - gotta decrease something to increase another) due to my own specific nutritional needs. It's still great to be here to get ideas and see how others are doing. And I just butted in a few days ago
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #1361
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I misssssssssed you guys today! Welcome to the new faces (im pretty new myself!)

I was up to like 150.6 this morning, which is fine with me with the high cals high carbs yesterday.. Today I did better!

1618 Calories
145.5 fat
59.5 protein
23.9 carbs
79%/15%/6%

Hopefully tomorrow I'm moving in the right direction
Old 10-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #1362
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
at hotelwith DD so wont be posting as much. Ate too much cheese tonight but didnt have muchto choose from. Stayed LC
Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #1363
Blabbermouth!!!

Real quick cause I am up late tonight!

Log and numbers for today.

Calories: 2027

Fat: 175
Pro: 87
Car: 33

77/18/6

Breakfast: CO & coffee
Lunch: Lettuce, sausage, tomato, jalapeno.
Dinner: Shrimp, broccoli, jalapeno.
Snack: Pork rinds, HWC floats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg log_10172012.jpg (36.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png graph_10172012.png (20.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #1364
Blabbermouth!!!

weigh-in 10182012

Weigh-in this morning ... ... ... 187.2!

I bumped my calories up 5 days ago and have shown drops on the scale 4 of the following days with the one .1 bump. Interesting. I'm pretty sure if I'd have slept in this morning I'd be in the 186s. 2.2 pounds to go for my initial goal!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 AM   #1365
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Red - bummer on no Extra Small Frame guidelines, so I feel confident to go with the Small category. Yeah!
Most links aren't allow here because of advertising but the frame thing is from the National Institute of Health so it is probably okay for posting SG:

Calculating body frame size: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia Image

...that is where the copy/paste came from.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #1366
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Today #
Cals-1355
Fat-129.2=83%
protein=44.4=14%
Carbs-11.1=3%

Still little low on protein
Low on protein and cals too with the dramatic increase in activity PC. Eat a little more
Old 10-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #1367
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
OKay, technical issue, what do you do when it won't give you a new day??? It logged me in, now it sits there showing me prior days!??
Are you on the overview tab? Click on the food tabs maybe?
Old 10-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #1368
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Most links aren't allow here because of advertising but the frame thing is from the National Institute of Health so it is probably okay for posting SG:

Calculating body frame size: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia Image

...that is where the copy/paste came from.

Now that was interesting. According to that site I have a small frame. My question is whether being overweight would make your wrist size enough larger to make you think you had a large frame?
Old 10-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #1369
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Now that was interesting. According to that site I have a small frame. My question is whether being overweight would make your wrist size enough larger to make you think you had a large frame?
Yes it will. I had fat wrists myself so if I'd have measured when I started at 265 then I would have been in the 'large frame' category for sure.

But all that means is you need to check it again at some point after you've shed weight.

The frame size just gives you an informed guesstimate of what your goal weight should be.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #1370
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all,
Red we're do you think my # should be now?do I up my protein to?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #1371
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Got my food planned out for the day - now let's just see if I actually stick to my plan! Been working on getting more water in each day, too, as I've been woefully lacking. I'm up to about 48 ounces of water (plus usually two caffeine-free, non-cola cans of diet soda).

I think I need to look up some recipes for easy/convenient high-fat snacks. Any suggestions? I don't think I can just keep snacking on straight butter twice every day. I've been thinking of trying my hand at coconut bark, but haven't looked at the recipe in a while and am not sure about the carbs. I think I came across cream cheese clouds the other day and may have to try those out, though I am not a huge fan of using a lot of artificial sweeteners. I actually cut out all artificial sweeteners in my first trimester of my pregnancy, so being low-carb AND avoiding artificial sweeteners, soy, and flax but having an aversion to most veggies and finding most cheeses to taste disgustingly salty, I was pretty much just eating a LOT of meat I do hope to get pregnant again, so I try to be aware of things I'm consuming that I would probably try to avoid at that time.
Quote:
2.2 pounds to go for my initial goal!
So close!!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #1372
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Good morning all,
Red we're do you think my # should be now?do I up my protein to?
Remind me of your daily F/P/C, protein grams and calorie goal PC.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #1373
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Got my food planned out for the day - now let's just see if I actually stick to my plan! Been working on getting more water in each day, too, as I've been woefully lacking. I'm up to about 48 ounces of water (plus usually two caffeine-free, non-cola cans of diet soda).

I think I need to look up some recipes for easy/convenient high-fat snacks. Any suggestions? I don't think I can just keep snacking on straight butter twice every day. I've been thinking of trying my hand at coconut bark, but haven't looked at the recipe in a while and am not sure about the carbs. I think I came across cream cheese clouds the other day and may have to try those out, though I am not a huge fan of using a lot of artificial sweeteners. I actually cut out all artificial sweeteners in my first trimester of my pregnancy, so being low-carb AND avoiding artificial sweeteners, soy, and flax but having an aversion to most veggies and finding most cheeses to taste disgustingly salty, I was pretty much just eating a LOT of meat I do hope to get pregnant again, so I try to be aware of things I'm consuming that I would probably try to avoid at that time.
Cutting out AFs cuts out the two high fat snacks I fall back on - CO bark and fat bombs. Both have to have AFs. I'm sure some of the others will chime in when they come online

Probably fatty protein is how you'll have to approach it though. Buttered bacon? Slices of beef as a CO or butter vehicle?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #1374
Major LCF Poster!

Red here is # cals=1425-
protein=50-60
Fat=125
Carbs=25 but I always stay under 20
Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #1375
Blabbermouth!!!

Salt Update.

Several days ago I made a concerted effort to get 5 grams of sodium in a day.

At the time I was experiencing the awful calf/foot cramps we are all very familiar with.

No more cramps. So getting adequate sodium is essential for an LC/VLC as Dr. Phinney plainly states in his book although it is regrettably towards the end of the book lol. I've never been a big salt person so the increase in sodium is pretty dramatic for me.

However, I logged off early yesterday because I was really feeling like poop. I have one of those wrist BP things so I checked it and I won't post the results because we have health care professionals in the thread and I don't want to freak them out. It was atmospheric though.

I've been prehypertensive for years. I only started LC about 14 months ago. I'm 46 and a smoker. I was 265 pounds.

So, I think the high sodium is messing with me and my 45 years of screwed up metabolism since LC definitionally is good for BP.

However, I've only been high sodium for a few days and I am certain that my BP has been up for longer than that but as a practicing amatuer physician it is difficult to identify when it went up and stayed up (apparently) other than the vague recollections of changes in how I feel/felt. For sure it is a marked change - I mean I recognize the newness of the feeling or at least I think I do. lol. I can be a frustrating patient even when I am self-treating.

To address the problem I am going to:

1. quit smoking.
2. cut back on caffeine.
3. cut back on sodium until I find the right level to avoid the cramps and not cause undue spikes in BP.

What do you all think?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #1376
Blabbermouth!!!

Actually, I think it might have started when I began including bacon in my menu several weeks ago. That is a high sodium food for sure. My log shows 2g for 3oz.

Interesting.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #1377
Major LCF Poster!

Well red it depends on what your no.was!!i think salt is good but I heard the no- salt has more potassium ,have you try that?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #1378
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Red here is # cals=1425-
protein=50-60
Fat=125
Carbs=25 but I always stay under 20
Up your calorie floor to 1700. Up your protein floor to 70g. Adjust fat accordingly.

If that causes a temporary weight gain, I don't think it will but, don't sweat it.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #1379
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Well red it depends on what your no.was!!i think salt is good but I heard the no- salt has more potassium ,have you try that?
Well, the danged thing is that low sodium on LC results in heightened potassium excretion.

How much potassium is too much?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #1380
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Red, sorry to hear about the high b pressure. If it is that high you really should see a Dr., you could easily have a stroke while trying to correct things yourself, also, those home monitors aren't the most reliable. Go to a fire station or somewhere that will check it for you. You might have to go on meds and work on quitting smoking, cutting back on salt and caffeine. Mine went really high one night and I went to ER and they did not mess around until they got it down. Scary and don't ignore it.