Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #1291
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
[QUOTE=shelley;16018503]Good morning everyone!

Loved the post on ubiquinol......I would like to add what Southerngirl wrote. When I was in 7th grade I got frost bite on my feet (couldn't afford boots for skiing with the girl scouts) and it was pretty bad. I never had good circulation from then on. In 1990 I went into a health food store (sorry this is a long story) and the gal there was magical. She told me all about CoQ10 and how it helped her father with his lack of circulation at his extremities (hands/feet), and that it lowered his BP and it was the ONE supplement he would pick above all others. I have been taking it ever since. Started out with CoQ10 and moved quickly to Ubiquinol. I want to say healthy origins in the manufacturer, and I've used it for years and years. Never had a problem with my feet or hands since! But if you are on BP lowering drugs, be careful you don't go too low....monitor. It does lower BP and mine is already low, so I had to go off it for a while as it was 88/46 for a while and that was just too low. Now I only take 50 mg/day (was taking 100 before) since my cholesterol is so darned high (hereditary).

Shelly, that is wonderful. Long term usage stories are great. My BP is always 100/60, and I don't have issues with it going lower; but we are all different. So good point to monitor that side too! My StepMom has dropped her total Cholestrol by 50 points since last Christmas on it. Her Trig are improved and in normal too; even her doc is now agreeing that the Statins were premature to take! Ha! love it.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #1292
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Ohhhh! <kicking Red out of the way > Thanks, Southern Girl!
Never-ever-ever! Red is our go-to-guy. I would post a smiley, but I haven't had time to figure out how to link them to the text!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #1293
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
So, I add oil to my protein shakes since the protein powder and unsweetened almond milk make for a nearly fat-free shake. When I add 1 tablespoon of oil, I'm fine, but when I add 2, I get nauseous a while after drinking. This happens regardless of type of oil (I've used almond oil, MCT oil, and sunflower oil). I have made my shakes using HWC before, which ends up being more fat than just the oil, and that didn't make me feel icky. Any thoughts as to why this happens? I made my first shake today with 2 T oil and felt really gross later, but I made my second shake with 1 T oil and felt fine. I need to be able to add more fat...
Hey Jilly. I cannot go more than 1T even at this point. Makes me well, icky like you. I stick with one at a time in anything.

My gums stopped bleeding when I stopped using floride toothpaste. Buffy is dead on; I mix coconut oil, baking soda, tad bit of salt (for healing). I never use a brush anymore, just rub it all over gums and such, swish for a minute; rince with hydrogen peroxide--spit it all out...done! No cavities ever, no problems, dentist remains stunned.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #1294
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hey Jilly. I cannot go more than 1T even at this point. Makes me well, icky like you. I stick with one at a time in anything.

My gums stopped bleeding when I stopped using floride toothpaste. Buffy is dead on; I mix coconut oil, baking soda, tad bit of salt (for healing). I never use a brush anymore, just rub it all over gums and such, swish for a minute; rince with hydrogen peroxide--spit it all out...done! No cavities ever, no problems, dentist remains stunned.
That's an interesting mix for toothpaste SG. I have used baking soda in a pinch when I was out of toothpaste but didn't know about using it all the time. I have an electric toothbrush that I love, a Phillips diamond head, I think it is. Anyway, I have no gum problems but I love to take that with it's soft brush, and while I am brushing my teeth with my CO/toothpaste mixture, I massage my gums with it as well. What I could not get over when I first started using it was how it helped whiten my teeth! When I have or take the time, I also like to do some oil pulling with the CO. How long have you been using your routine?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #1295
Big Yapper!!!!

Well, it was definitely the magnesium that was making my stomach hurt. No pain at all today. So, I will give it about a week or so, then start in very gradually again and work up really slowly. I keep reading about mag and all the benefits so I definitely want to take it. Bought the right kind of CoQ10 today.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #1296
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok, taking the time to post my numbers for today, don't always have time.
Calories 1615
Fat 153 84.2%
Carbs 19 4.7%
Pro 45 11.1%

Had eggs, bacon for b/fast/brunch. Coffee with CO.
Tonight made a cream of chicken, brocolli soup with chicken in it, had added 4 oz which would have upped my protein but I just could not eat it all and I had already had a piece of the pumpkin bake last afternoon, so it was time to just quit.
Root beer float now.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #1297
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Southerngirl61. Yes I cook the steak from the last night supper and slice it up and put it in butter and co then add eggs yummmmm...
Thanks for the coq10 info go buy me some tommorrow .

Had a great night at work,they had a meeting today said they might go 12 hours shift ,I told them I could not work them,so they said they will try to work it out for me,if not guess ill have to quit.

My food to day off
B- 6 oz almonds-6 oz pork rinds
S-2 fat bombs
D-2 oz pork rines
2 coffee with co and hwc

I made fat bombs with co,cream cheese,and Splenda only not bad.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #1298
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Weigh-in this morning ... ... 187.6!

Up .1 from yesterday but really pretty shocking anyway because of yesterday's OD on sodium lol. And I pushed calories up yesterday too. Interesting.

I took my measurement this morning too. Down to 38.5". I started on September 10th, last month, at 44" and 205.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #1299
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
That's an interesting mix for toothpaste SG. I have used baking soda in a pinch when I was out of toothpaste but didn't know about using it all the time. I have an electric toothbrush that I love, a Phillips diamond head, I think it is. Anyway, I have no gum problems but I love to take that with it's soft brush, and while I am brushing my teeth with my CO/toothpaste mixture, I massage my gums with it as well. What I could not get over when I first started using it was how it helped whiten my teeth! When I have or take the time, I also like to do some oil pulling with the CO. How long have you been using your routine?
Good Morning Buffy! I forgot the best ingredient to my toothpaste, peppermint oil! Geeze! I increased it to 1 teaspoon the last batch, really great feeling afterwards. I have done this for years....my gums ached, bled, and I got worried about the link to heart disease and gum disease! So I researched it, found floride was horrible and made the decision to eliminate it. Many communities are removing it from water sources now, since it actually causes graying of teeth and children are at risk. Then after a few weeks of of it, I realized my gums were in great pink color, and no bleeding, no aches/pains or sensitivity. Works for me.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:30 AM   #1300
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post

Up .1 from yesterday but really pretty shocking anyway because of yesterday's OD on sodium lol. And I pushed calories up yesterday too. Interesting.

I took my measurement this morning too. Down to 38.5". I started on September 10th, last month, at 44" and 205.

That is the most remarkable loss! Lbs are one thing, but inches are a beautiful thing! WTG!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #1301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Ended up having some pretty strong cravings last night (I believe they were emotionally driven), but I managed to stop the insanity after one sugar free popsicle and some beef jerky. Still kept total carbs to 6.18%.

I see some of you eating CO straight. WOW. I tried it once, and will never do it again voluntarily! Wish I could as that's such an easy way to add fat. You know what I DO like to do, though, is eat a tablespoon or so of butter as a little snack to hold me to the next meal sometimes. Might have to start doing that more regularly.

Mr. Baby woke me up 3 times last night (unusual for him, as he's usually a good sleeper), so I slept a little later than usual this morning and ran out of the house without breakfast. So my chili/cheese/sour cream I had at work that was supposed to be lunch became breakfast, so now I will likely go out for lunch today. Will have to see how the day goes...I'm good at staying low carb while eating out, as up until we had our baby, my husband and I literally ate out every day for dinner. Now that we have a baby and have been paying 2 mortgages for the past 7 months, the eating out has slowed down, but I am at least well practiced in the art of low carb dining
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry
Or maybe less protein more fat?
I drink the protein shakes for the protein, so don't want to cut back on the protein! Due to the surgery I've had, I need the high bioavailability of the whey protein isolate. I usually only have one shake per day, not two like yesterday, but the amount of oil I add is what seems to be the issue. C'est la vie - will just have to find other ways to add more fat throughout the day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Good Morning Buffy! I forgot the best ingredient to my toothpaste, peppermint oil! Geeze! I increased it to 1 teaspoon the last batch, really great feeling afterwards. I have done this for years....my gums ached, bled, and I got worried about the link to heart disease and gum disease! So I researched it, found floride was horrible and made the decision to eliminate it. Many communities are removing it from water sources now, since it actually causes graying of teeth and children are at risk. Then after a few weeks of of it, I realized my gums were in great pink color, and no bleeding, no aches/pains or sensitivity. Works for me.
Do you have a "recipe" for your toothpaste concoction? Or are you like me and just start mixing things together until it looks/feels/smells about right?

Also, how do you guys use coconut oil for brushing? Mine is always pretty rock solid at room temp, so there's no "dipping" my toothbrush into it...more like chiseling off a piece at a time!
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 10-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #1302
Big Yapper!!!!

Not sure if this is what you mean, but the nutritional program I use to track what I eat, also has a section where you track your weight, % of BF, inches lost, BS, BK, etc., etc.

Don't be losing us, we don't like people losing us
Old 10-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #1303
Big Yapper!!!!

Jilly, I forget sometimes you have had the WL surgery, that means you have to be very careful to get all your nutrients in. Think you did great on the cravings.

So far, on the CO for my teeth. I just had a small tupperware container of it in the bathroom which only I used. I would just open it, take my toothbrush and push in and get some on my brush, then add the regular toothpaste I am using and brush away. But, I think when SG gives us her recipe, I will mix some up. I love the idea of adding in peppermind oil.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #1304
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

Red, that is great that you have lost some more inches! And, your body may need to stay right where it is weight wise, maybe not, for a while to adjust? Mine sure seems to be wanting to do that right now and I am not going to worry about it, unless I go too long without any loss.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #1305
Big Yapper!!!!

Bought a "too tight" pair of cords at TJ Maxx yesterday as a "try on once a week until they fit" incentive. Was surprised when I got them home that I can get them on and fastened! But, to wear they need to be a little looser to look right and be comfortable, so it will be fun to see when that is. I have something to go to in 3 weeks that these would be perfect for, so let's see if I can make it.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #1306
Blabbermouth!!!

Here is an interesting thought for those of you consuming very low calories daily.

A ketogenic diet like the one we are doing makes the body think it is starving. I mean, the body reacts to a VLC diet in many ways the same way it would react to your actually being starved. That is one reason that you burn body fat once you are keto-adapted.

Now, follow me on this...

Your body is already 'starving'.

You choose to eat too few calories.

What will your body do? It is going to try hard to not lose weight because you are restricting calories too much for *you*. The body doesn't know what is going on or that you are tightly controlling calories - it just knows that the last x number of days it needed 3000 calories and you gave it 1400 calories. It panics. It releases cortisol which inhibits body fat usage. It does everything it can to survive this mysterious low calorie period.

So. If you are watching your calories and your body is not responding, try bumping up your calories a bit for a few days to see what happens. Remember that a daily scale reading is a snapshot not a trend and watch the trend.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #1307
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Bought a "too tight" pair of cords at TJ Maxx yesterday as a "try on once a week until they fit" incentive. Was surprised when I got them home that I can get them on and fastened! But, to wear they need to be a little looser to look right and be comfortable, so it will be fun to see when that is. I have something to go to in 3 weeks that these would be perfect for, so let's see if I can make it.
I bet you get to wear the new cords
Old 10-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #1308
Big Yapper!!!!

Hate when I do this, but I just had a long post ready and lost it!!!

All about how most of us have lost the ability to know when we are really hungry and when we are really full or satisfied, it gets all mixed up with emotion, past dieting history, etc., etc.

I have bumped my calories up to where I am a little more comfortable with how much I am eating, that is my plan for the time being. I kind of decide what I am going to eat, but before I log it, I eat and try to quit as soon as I am satisfied, then go log and see how the calories fall. Looks like I am comfortable eating about 200 more a day than I was when I was feeling too restricted. Time will tell.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #1309
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
Good Morning!!!!

Gonna start off by telling you that on Sunday a.m., my scale said 211.6. This morning showed 205.8!!!! 5.8lbs difference in three days! Now I'm fully aware of the fact that it is most likely extra water weight that I dropped, but mentally it was extremely nice to see anyway. Started the day off right for me.

Today:
B - bacon, cottage cheese, coffee w/CO
L - my standard salad (mixed greens, avocado, chicken, olive oil) gonna call it MACO salad
D - 2 paprika chicken thighs, cauliflower w/butter and sour cream

coffee, lotsa water thru the day & iced tea this evening

1433 cals
65/26/9

I don't know if it's related or not, by my sleeping has been TERRIBLE this week. Toss and turn all night long.
I hope all is well in your world!!!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #1310
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Here is an interesting thought for those of you consuming very low calories daily.

A ketogenic diet like the one we are doing makes the body think it is starving. I mean, the body reacts to a VLC diet in many ways the same way it would react to your actually being starved. That is one reason that you burn body fat once you are keto-adapted.

Now, follow me on this...

Your body is already 'starving'.

You choose to eat too few calories.

What will your body do? It is going to try hard to not lose weight because you are restricting calories too much for *you*. The body doesn't know what is going on or that you are tightly controlling calories - it just knows that the last x number of days it needed 3000 calories and you gave it 1400 calories. It panics. It releases cortisol which inhibits body fat usage. It does everything it can to survive this mysterious low calorie period.

So. If you are watching your calories and your body is not responding, try bumping up your calories a bit for a few days to see what happens. Remember that a daily scale reading is a snapshot not a trend and watch the trend.

This makes sense. Personally, I eat on a time schedule, because otherwise I would consume even fewer calories than I do now. We are told that we should eat only when hungry, and we also hear that we should eat five times a day, and everything in between! If you don't feel hunger, isn't that the sign that your body is getting enough calories?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #1311
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmsWay View Post
Good Morning!!!!

Gonna start off by telling you that on Sunday a.m., my scale said 211.6. This morning showed 205.8!!!! 5.8lbs difference in three days! Now I'm fully aware of the fact that it is most likely extra water weight that I dropped, but mentally it was extremely nice to see anyway. Started the day off right for me.

Today:
L - my standard salad (mixed greens, avocado, chicken, olive oil) gonna call it MACO salad

1433 cals
65/26/9

I don't know if it's related or not, by my sleeping has been TERRIBLE this week. Toss and turn all night long.
That is wonderful news and although what we lose right at first probably is fluid which we have retained, it still feels so good to get rid of that puffiness and what I found is that although my weight loss slowed down, I kept those initial lbs off that I lost the first week and then lost some more.

I went through periods of sleeping deeper than before and then periods like you have had, where I toss and turn. Don't feel like I have completely adapted yet or settled in where my body needs to be.

You are doing really well, KUTGW
Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #1312
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
This makes sense. Personally, I eat on a time schedule, because otherwise I would consume even fewer calories than I do now. We are told that we should eat only when hungry, and we also hear that we should eat five times a day, and everything in between! If you don't feel hunger, isn't that the sign that your body is getting enough calories?
Deborah, you are like another of my friends here on LCF's, she almost has to remember to eat, or she can go way too low on calories. With my diabetes, if I go too long without eating, I begin to feel it and have to eat something, I think it is BS dropping, though these days I just know the feeling and know I need to eat, I don't usually check with my meter. Like yesterday, I ate, then ran out and ran a bunch of errands. At the last store, I was like "uh oh, I should have stuck some nuts of something in my purse", I was getting that feeling but wasn't far from home so just came on and ate something as soon as I walked in the house. If it wasn't for that feeling, I could definitly go longer between eating b/c it really isn't hunger, it is that sinking, kind of sick feeling where I feel faint.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #1313
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hate when I do this, but I just had a long post ready and lost it!!!
lol I cry with you my friend! Hate it when that happens!

Quote:
All about how most of us have lost the ability to know when we are really hungry and when we are really full or satisfied, it gets all mixed up with emotion, past dieting history, etc., etc.

!!! Dang it, I meant to make that point in my post too and plumb forgot about it while I was writing it out!. I think I'll do another post instead of editing the first one. Thanks Buffy!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #1314
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
If you don't feel hunger, isn't that the sign that your body is getting enough calories?
! This is what I meant to bring up that Buffy and you Deborah have unearthed!

The answer is a resounding NO! Think about that!! Wow!

Remember, our body is acting like it is starving but it is not truly starving! And if you are eating 1000+ calories, say, you are further confusing the normal body signals to eat like a growling tummy.

*And* we are LC/VLC so we don't have the insulin spikes and valleys that prompt so many hunger signals in the body. This also means that strong hunger signals are muted and easily managed or ignored! I bet every one of us have experienced that - I know I have.

Consider the fact that people that do true multiple day fasts *always* report that after the initial period they no longer experience hunger! Yet they are taking in no calories or close to no calories!

So, the answer must be that you should eat sufficient calories *even* if you aren't hungry!!

Wow!! No?

And, I'm not sure I used enough exclamation points in this post so here are two additional just in case!!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #1315
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmsWay View Post
Good Morning!!!!

Today:

1433 cals
65/26/9

Awesome!!

Try increasing non-PUFA fats to get over the induction flu hump sooner
Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #1316
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
Quote:
Try increasing non-PUFA fats to get over the induction flu hump sooner
Suggestions? Increase the CO?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #1317
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh, btw, forgot to mention this earlier.

Last night, once again, before bed I starting having leg cramps and even some in my hands. Knew I would suffer through the night. But, instead of having sea salt, I gulped some of my Bragg's vinegar. Worked great, no cramps all night long. thanks to whoever suggested vinegar.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #1318
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snoangel
Stats: 214/135/139
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2010
Good morning ALL!!

Just want to start by saying I started doing LCHF about a week ago after reading alot of Red's posts about NK and MY JEANS FIT!! a pair that was too tight to even button a week ago. They fit real good too, not super tight

What led me to this thread was a couple comments from Red about my concern with meds contributing to my weight gain. Thanks again Red!!!!

I've been comfortable and happy eating this way. I re-started induction a little over a month ago, lost 5lbs then gained most back. frustrated about it I started reading alot, and to me, this thread made the most sense. And I really like the support you all offer to each other

So I upped the fat and lowered the protein and within two days the scale was moving and I actually made my first GOAL I changed it because I thought it was a little high. I'm now thinking 135 to be ideal for me.

I am 145.9 as of now with added water weight.
My average for the last 7 days is...
Calories 1570
fat 135
protein 70
carbs 20 net 14
I will work on upping my fat a little bit.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #1319
Big Yapper!!!!

to our little corner Alizgurl. Glad to have you and so happy for you that you are seeing success. Jeans really are a great barometer!!!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #1320
Big Yapper!!!!

WooHoo Aliz, love your avatar, hottie, hottie!
Closed Thread