Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #1231
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmsWay View Post
Morning!

B - 2 eggs, 3 bacon, coffee w/CO
S - shake
L - lettuce/spinach salad w/chicken, 1/2 avocado & olive oil
D - ribeye & cauliflower
Good morning!

mmmm mmm ribeye and cauliflower!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #1232
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm going to have to tweak our intro post when we start a new thread for sure.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #1233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Southern Girl, thanks for all that info re COQ10. I just started taking it a couple of weeks ago, and of course, I got the wrong kind. If I just take a double dose of the ubiquinone until it's finished and then buy the good stuff, will that be OK? I sure would love to lower my blood pressure as well as get rid of about 35 pounds.

Kerry, I don't want to step on any Texan toes, but I've got one word for you -- AUSTIN. It is a fabulous place to live and raise a family. My three kids all went to university in Texas, but the one who went to UT in Austin stayed there. It's got a better climate than Houston (but then anyplace has a better climate than Houston). It has all the advantages of a city plus beautiful hill country and Lake Travis within spitting distance. I can't wait for my next visit there.

I made a beaufitul salmon mousse this morning with canned wild salmon, smoked salmon, sour cream, heavy cream and tabasco. I had it for lunch and I think I will have it for my next six meals.

Buffy, how are you doing with The Scandinavian Diet? He doesn't seem to advocate low protein. One of his menus calls for eating all the lamb chops you want. He has never seen me when faced with lovely, fatty grilled lamb chops.

Pat
Old 10-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #1234
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patlaf View Post
I made a beaufitul salmon mousse this morning with canned wild salmon, smoked salmon, sour cream, heavy cream and tabasco. I had it for lunch and I think I will have it for my next six meals.Pat
OMG - I'm not even hungry right now but this made me drool all over my keyboard!!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #1235
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
For 130:

(130/2.2)*35 = 2068

For 120:

(120/2.2)*35 = 1909

Wow, 1909 seems like a lot. I tried going up to 1600 and started gaining right away. Maybe I upped calories too fast?

Last edited by theLossgirl; 10-16-2012 at 07:29 AM..
Old 10-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #1236
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Wow, 1909 seems like a lot. I tried going up to 1600 and started gaining right away. Maybe I upped calories too fast?
Dunno Deborah. For 5'5", 120 is a low weight for you according to the chart I just googled.

Low: 117
Target: 136
High: 156

Another chart shows:

117-130

...for a small frame *and* clothed:

"Weight in pounds, based on ages 25-59 with the lowest mortality rate
(indoor clothing weighing 3 pounds and shoes with 1" heels)"

But it could have been a short term aberration to the added calories. That is, the weight would bounce up, stabilize, then sink back down to the right level.

And, of course, the 35kCal is nominal meaning that your activity level may be greater or less than this figure although from what you have described it sounds pretty close to what the doctors consider a normal healthy activity level.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #1237
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Red what is a good coq10 I'm going to by me some
Old 10-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #1238
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Morning!
Jilly, I agree, the info on WLS says that it will "cure" type 2 diabetes. When my weight was at it's highest, 242, I had thought about it, then the diabetes meds started bringing my weight down and I was glad I didn't have to have the surgery. You are doing great and glad to have you with us.

Kerry, here is a , just in case you need one today. Sounds like yesterday was a rough one, but, you handled it well. I had a high calorie day too, think I was just angry at the scale for yesterday AM, so ate as much as I wanted of all LC things. My ratios were perfect though and today I am back down to 197.6 so maybe this week I will work on down to 196 something. Oh, and yes, come on down to TX. Now, prepare yourself, our July and August are pretty brutal but lots of A/C here. And, prepare for a culture shock, but, much cheaper to live here than NYC. Texans are friendly people, you will like that. Austin is very laid back, my DS and family live there and love it, I really really like it too. DH and I live in the Dallas suburbs, we like it here, not as laid back as Austin but to you it would seem so I am sure. People seem to like San Antonio a lot and Houston, I have never lived there but it is close to the Gulf.

Red, I did listen to the Matt Lalonde podcast, I have to say, a lot of it was over my head and "liked" what he said about calories but his plan is a lot different than ours so not sure how much it applies, but, I hope he is correct that calories don't matter nearly as much as what you eat. And, we know, that if you eat a high percentage of fats, you get satisfied easier.

Southerngirl, thanks for the info on CoQ10, knew it was good, but forgot for what . On my list.

Shelley, PC, The loss Girl, Harms way, I don't want to pass over on anyone, you all are adding great info and we are so glad to have you on our thread.

Pat, Hi and I don't know as I am following the diet Sten Skalderman ourlined, just wanted to read his take on it, pretty much just doing the 80/15/5 we are doing here.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #1239
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Morning!

B - 2 eggs, 3 bacon, coffee w/CO
S - shake
L - lettuce/spinach salad w/chicken, 1/2 avocado & olive oil
D - ribeye & cauliflower
Looks good. Are you tracking your foods to get your percentage of fat/protein/carbs? And, what is in your shake, how much protein? Some of those are really high protein.

Did I remember to say
Old 10-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #1240
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Me too PC, I hope Kerry chimes in here too, she posted on this last night or this morning.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #1241
Big Yapper!!!!

Had to make several trips to bathroom last night but lost the water weight from those darn crab legs on Sunday night. Back down to 197.6, hope to see 196 something by next Monday.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #1242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Weigh-in this morning ... ... ... 187.5!!!!!

Oh my gosh!!!! That is just wonderful.....next week you should hit goal. I'm so glad you upped your calories to keep from going into starvation mode. Remember I did that for years and that's why I'm in this pickle!!!!

Good going......I'm excited for you to be so close to goal!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #1243
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
A great question PC! Don't get any yet and let's see what SouthernGirl recommends because I am curious too.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #1244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Sounds good!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #1245
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh Red, you are right, it was SouthernGirl that posted that info.

And, Yee Haw on your weight!!! I too am glad you upped your calories and are still losing, gives us all hope for one thing, plus, I was a little worried you were going too low to be able to maintain that level.

I can just smell goal weight for you, it is sooooo close!! Congrats!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #1246
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Red, I did listen to the Matt Lalonde podcast, I have to say, a lot of it was over my head and "liked" what he said about calories but his plan is a lot different than ours so not sure how much it applies, but, I hope he is correct that calories don't matter nearly as much as what you eat. And, we know, that if you eat a high percentage of fats, you get satisfied easier.
Yeah, he spouted some pure blather for sure. But! The caloric requirement part was universal.

I have got to say, Jimmy Moore is an excellent interviewer in many respects. I've listened to a lot of his podcasts lately and he has some guest that are actually antagonistic towards LC but he doesn't argue with them. He keeps the interview focused on what they have to say and doesn't pass judgement on any particular thing although clearly some things he emphatically cannot agree with. He also very casually challenges some things said, allows them to answer and moves on to the next question.

That is no small skill.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #1247
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
Quote:
Looks good. Are you tracking your foods to get your percentage of fat/protein/carbs? And, what is in your shake, how much protein? Some of those are really high protein.

Did I remember to say
Hi Buffy & thanks for the welcome!

Actually, I am tracking my percentages and they are ok but my cals are pretty high. My breakdown today is 60/33/7 @ 2075 cals. Since I'm just getting started, I'm not gonna worry too much about things until i get past my cravings. I can tweak things after I get back in the swing of low carbing again. I figure that by the end of this week, I'll be ok. (fingers crossed) This week is more about keeping myself from diving head-first into a plate of french fries.....

Edited to add: FYI - I am a HUGE eater. I don't normally get satisfied with a small amount of food, so I hoping that my approach of starting large and slowly working my way backwards/downwards in quantity will work for me. Feeling deprived is a sure-fire derailment for me....

Last edited by livinlarge; 10-16-2012 at 08:39 AM..
Old 10-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #1248
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Oh Red, you are right, it was SouthernGirl that posted that info.

And, Yee Haw on your weight!!! I too am glad you upped your calories and are still losing, gives us all hope for one thing, plus, I was a little worried you were going too low to be able to maintain that level.

I can just smell goal weight for you, it is sooooo close!! Congrats!
Thank you

Dropping twice in a row is very rare for me. The implication is that I was stressing my body with 1500 calories and derailing my weight loss doing it despite the fact that I was on a steady downward trajectory.

And, what struck me most was that I dropped a whole pound! After two days of much more calories *and* a huge bump in sodium intake *and* a good sized increase in pure water intake.

Frankly, I really expected to see a pound or two gain for weigh-in with all those factors in mind.

You'd mentioned weighing the night before and comparing weights with the morning reading. I've been doing that the last several days.

Yesterday I was 195.x before I went to bed. Now, the extraordinary thing about that number is that, after all that stuff I mentioned above, *that* is the lowest night time scale reading since I started doing that 4 or 5 days ago! Strange, no?

And that is an 8 pound drop over night.

The conclusion is that an off-reading one morning is meaningless. A couple pounds of retained water, which is very little water, and I'd have experienced a bump rather than a new low. Scale readings are snapshots in time not heavy burdens to bear. If it sucks it sucks but it is only a static look at a point in time. The important thing is the trend over time that reveals these aberrant readings for what they are - aberrant.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #1249
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

Actually, I am tracking my percentages and they are ok but my cals are pretty high. My breakdown today is 60/33/7 @ 2075 cals. Since I'm just getting started, I'm not gonna worry too much about things until i get past my cravings. I can tweak things after I get back in the swing of low carbing again. I figure that by the end of this week, I'll be ok. (fingers crossed) This week is more about keeping myself from diving head-first into a plate of french fries.....
Totally agree that is the way to start out. Ease back into it is much easier on your body. I told DD when she started to not worry about calories or higher carbs, she was near 40 most days when she first started, I just wanted her to get out of the carb fog she was in. As she has worked into it, all her numbers begin falling into place where she wanted them to be.

The good thing in keeping track is that it gives you the info you need when you are ready to tweak things. And guess what, you might find that is all you need to start losing, and if that is the case, you are one of the lucky ones and if it ain't broke, don't need no fixin, as they would say in TEXAS!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #1250
Big Yapper!!!!

I just kind of like that reading before bed, I can usually plan on being 3 lbs lower in the AM, not always but kind of a rule of thumb. But, it can really vary.
I was having leg cramps before bed last night, so ate about 1/2 t sea salt right before bed, figured it would retain fluid, but nope.

I am going to be gone from home for the next 3-4 days, but will be on my Ipad and comptuer so will be checking in, but I will be away from my scales, which is probably a good thing. I can get OCD over them, but is that bad? I don't know, I kind of like doing it and my excuse to anything these days is "I am old, I can do as I dam# well please"
Old 10-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #1251
Senior LCF Member

Good morning everyone!

Loved the post on ubiquinol......I would like to add what Southerngirl wrote. When I was in 7th grade I got frost bite on my feet (couldn't afford boots for skiing with the girl scouts) and it was pretty bad. I never had good circulation from then on. In 1990 I went into a health food store (sorry this is a long story) and the gal there was magical. She told me all about CoQ10 and how it helped her father with his lack of circulation at his extremities (hands/feet), and that it lowered his BP and it was the ONE supplement he would pick above all others. I have been taking it ever since. Started out with CoQ10 and moved quickly to Ubiquinol. I want to say healthy origins in the manufacturer, and I've used it for years and years. Never had a problem with my feet or hands since! But if you are on BP lowering drugs, be careful you don't go too low....monitor. It does lower BP and mine is already low, so I had to go off it for a while as it was 88/46 for a while and that was just too low. Now I only take 50 mg/day (was taking 100 before) since my cholesterol is so darned high (hereditary).

Buffy...so deeeelighted to see that your weight gain came right back off.

PC...you are doing so great with your stressful job and staying on track and losing so nicely.

Re: calories.....I had a very good friend that went from 270# to 110# and she's a nutritionist (low carb/keto-adapted for years). She warned me to NEVER EVER lower my calories below 1550. Said that it will take away my LBM. For the last couple weeks or so, I lowered my calories from 1600 to the 1200 range (950-1350 or so) and then did my weekly average of LBM and fat %age per the Tanita. I lost 3# of LBM ad gained 3# of FAT!!!!!! And that was at the lower calories. So, I believe Major Red told us that he listened to a podcast that said just that....too low of calories will take away your lean body mass....and I am proof of that for the last 2 weeks calculations. It also trains the body to "need" less calories, so if you want to always stay that low for the rest of your life, you can lose weight now, and then will be stuck at those low calories. That's why I am so happy (as Buffy is) that Major Red has upped his calories. For a strapping young man that is 6' tall, he shouldn't be consuming LESS calories than us dainty women! We don't have a mans natural muscle mass, so he needs more calories to sustain the muscle he has.

Hope that all makes sense. Today I'm going back UP to my 1600 calories. I lost on that last year and reducing the calories has made me gain/lose/gain and gain! The day I had 1950 calories and 190 grams of fat (that was a fun day!!!!!), I lost overnight! So, I think being consistent on calories also doesn't work. I think you need to "shake up your body" a bit, but keep a "low window" that is never too low.

And those are my thoughts.

Thanks again for the great info on CoQ10. I've been a true believer for years of that stuff (in Ubiquinol form)
Old 10-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #1252
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I just kind of like that reading before bed, I can usually plan on being 3 lbs lower in the AM, not always but kind of a rule of thumb. But, it can really vary.
I was having leg cramps before bed last night, so ate about 1/2 t sea salt right before bed, figured it would retain fluid, but nope.

I am going to be gone from home for the next 3-4 days, but will be on my Ipad and comptuer so will be checking in, but I will be away from my scales, which is probably a good thing. I can get OCD over them, but is that bad? I don't know, I kind of like doing it and my excuse to anything these days is "I am old, I can do as I dam# well please"
I was surprised at how much the swing is for me from overnight to morning. I was very pleased to see the 195 though because I was certain that meant a great reading in the morning. Shocked at it considering the extra water and salt.

Stay safe while you are out and about
Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #1253
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Edited to add: FYI - I am a HUGE eater. I don't normally get satisfied with a small amount of food, so I hoping that my approach of starting large and slowly working my way backwards/downwards in quantity will work for me. Feeling deprived is a sure-fire derailment for me....
I personally think your way of starting is excellent. Takes about 6-7 days for the body to be "rid of" the sugars/carbs/wheats, etc. if you have been consuming them. Be prepared for headaches and feeling like you are getting the flu...this is normal about 4-6 days in when eliminating grains and sugars, but once you have mastered that, you will be on your way and can start upping your fats and lowering carbs and calories.......Ooops...forgot to say
Old 10-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #1254
Senior LCF Member

One of the favorite jokes in my house is from Ray Romano....he says he loses 5# overnight from losing so much water in his body. Mr. Shelley just LOVES to tell me that all the time when I weigh and lose more than the usual 2#......that I have a long way to go to lose Ray's 5# from night to morning.

I agree with Major Red about putting too much attention on a morning scale number. I do weigh every morning and chart it, and then weigh for bodyfat right before bed. I chart that. At the end of the week, I add up all the AM weights and divide the total by 7 to get a much better picture....same with bodyfat and lean muscle mass. That way if you have ups and downs it averages out. So, I don't get stressed over ONE number AM or PM....I wait until Sunday to see my average. I bought graph paper and it's fun to see the zig zags....It looks like an EKG! ha ha
Old 10-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #1255
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
One of the favorite jokes in my house is from Ray Romano....he says he loses 5# overnight from losing so much water in his body. Mr. Shelley just LOVES to tell me that all the time when I weigh and lose more than the usual 2#......that I have a long way to go to lose Ray's 5# from night to morning.

I agree with Major Red about putting too much attention on a morning scale number. I do weigh every morning and chart it, and then weigh for bodyfat right before bed. I chart that. At the end of the week, I add up all the AM weights and divide the total by 7 to get a much better picture....same with bodyfat and lean muscle mass. That way if you have ups and downs it averages out. So, I don't get stressed over ONE number AM or PM....I wait until Sunday to see my average. I bought graph paper and it's fun to see the zig zags....It looks like an EKG! ha ha
Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #1256
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Dunno Deborah. For 5'5", 120 is a low weight for you according to the chart I just googled.

Low: 117
Target: 136
High: 156

Another chart shows:

117-130

...for a small frame *and* clothed:

"Weight in pounds, based on ages 25-59 with the lowest mortality rate
(indoor clothing weighing 3 pounds and shoes with 1" heels)"
Oh okay! Since I weigh myself nude, if I add 3 pounds to my current naked weight, plus weight for shoes, I'm in that range because it would take me up to 123lbs or so.

I used the HAMWI method because many clinicians use it (according to the almighty internet, haha). It puts me at a 112.5 for small frame, 125 for medium frame, and 137.5 for large frame. I think this is without clothing and shoes though.

I *think* I have a small frame because my thumb and middle finger overlap when I wrap them around my wrist bones?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #1257
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Oh okay! Since I weigh myself nude, if I add 3 pounds to my current naked weight, plus weight for shoes, I'm in that range because it would take me up to 123lbs or so.

I used the HAMWI method because many clinicians use it (according to the almighty internet, haha). It puts me at a 112.5 for small frame, 125 for medium frame, and 137.5 for large frame. I think this is without clothing and shoes though.

I *think* I have a small frame because my thumb and middle finger overlap when I wrap them around my wrist bones?
Probably just an adjustment bounce on the weight gain as I described earlier.

Use a tape measure to be sure though. 'measure frame size body'. You measure right behind the wrist bone on the forearm side (rather than the hand/finger side).

Women:

Height under 5'2"
Small = wrist size less than 5.5"
Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
Large = wrist size over 5.75"

Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
Small = wrist size less than 6"
Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
Large = wrist size over 6.25"

Height over 5' 5"
Small = wrist size less than 6.25"
Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
Large = wrist size over 6.5"

Men:

Height over 5' 5"
Small = wrist size 5.5" to 6.5"
Medium = wrist size 6.5" to 7.5"
Large = wrist size over 7.5"

Old 10-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #1258
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Re: calories.....I had a very good friend that went from 270# to 110# and she's a nutritionist (low carb/keto-adapted for years). She warned me to NEVER EVER lower my calories below 1550. Said that it will take away my LBM. For the last couple weeks or so, I lowered my calories from 1600 to the 1200 range (950-1350 or so) and then did my weekly average of LBM and fat %age per the Tanita. I lost 3# of LBM ad gained 3# of FAT!!!!!! And that was at the lower calories. So, I believe Major Red told us that he listened to a podcast that said just that....too low of calories will take away your lean body mass....and I am proof of that for the last 2 weeks calculations. It also trains the body to "need" less calories, so if you want to always stay that low for the rest of your life, you can lose weight now, and then will be stuck at those low calories. That's why I am so happy (as Buffy is) that Major Red has upped his calories. For a strapping young man that is 6' tall, he shouldn't be consuming LESS calories than us dainty women! We don't have a mans natural muscle mass, so he needs more calories to sustain the muscle he has.
*That* was one of the most shocking things Matt said. Losing LBM as a metric of calories being too low. I read a lot on LC but I'd never heard that before. It explains a lot too. It implies that being low on calories and exercising is a zero sum gain in all but extraordinary circumstances.

I'm mapped out for about 2000 calories today.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #1259
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Use a tape measure to be sure though. 'measure frame size body'. You measure right behind the wrist bone on the forearm side (rather than the hand/finger side).

Women:

Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
Small = wrist size less than 6"
Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
Large = wrist size over 6.25"
You have so much great information! 5.75"
Old 10-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #1260
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
You have so much great information! 5.75"
heh

SouthernGirl is the one with great information. I was woefully ignorant of my own frame size for, oh, the last 40 years lol. I am thoroughly a medium frame but I always thought I was large framed. I had no idea there was a way to measure it or that there were actually defined sizes until SG said it a few days ago.

Closed Thread