Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #1201
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
I see a bunch of you are from Texas..
For some reason it has been my dream to move to texas. Hubby and I hope to in maybe the next 5 yrs be able to move there. Any suggestions? hints? Its funny cause I never even been there... I work for a major luxury automotive brand that I feel would give me a job in a heartbeat down there (I'm a client care manager)
Its my dream, and it is so hard to live here in NYC.. Can't afford to live here, can't afford to move away...
I wouldn't relocate to a border town because of the crime and border problems but otherwise ... come on down! I think Houston traffic is worse than NYC though. Hot as fire in the summer time but I thought it was not very different when I was up there over a summer 10 or 15 years ago.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #1202
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Deborah, how did you break 120? You look great! Oh to be 43 again! Wait, no, teenagers again....pass!
Hi SouthernGirl!

It now seems like it happened so fast that I really am not sure! I think the biggest change happened when I adopted Nutritional Ketosis. I eat HF/MP/VLC (usually at least 80% fat and about 2% carbs), and I exercise for about a half hour 5 days a week. Really didn't think I'd even meet my original goal when I first started LC, so amazed and very thankful that this woe has worked so well.

Last edited by theLossgirl; 10-16-2012 at 05:02 AM..
Old 10-16-2012, 05:06 AM   #1203
Blabbermouth!!!

weigh-in 10162012

Weigh-in this morning ... ... ... 187.5!!!!!

Old 10-16-2012, 05:09 AM   #1204
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Good morning all,
Old 10-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #1205
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning PC
Old 10-16-2012, 05:19 AM   #1206
Blabbermouth!!!

Salt Report.

No cramps! Hooray!!

I think yesterday was day 3 of a concerted effort to get 5 salty sodium grams in.

Also, I bumped my water up quite a bit yesterday too. I had decreased it quite a bit 8 or 10 days ago.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 AM   #1207
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning ... ... ... 187.5!!!!!

OMG. This time next week (if not sooner), you'll be at GOAL!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 AM   #1208
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Good morning all,
Hi!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 AM   #1209
Blabbermouth!!!

I know!! Dang!! And I upped the calories the last couple of days too.

Did you get a chance to download that calories podcast Deborah?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #1210
Major LCF Poster!

Things been real rough at work, but doing good on my food intake just need to keep cals up,back down to 172 after .5 gain from sat.that is 3 lbs still since last week,ill take it,

Yesterday
B-2 eggs with co butter and steak
Coffee with co hwc,,,,,I love it
S-4 oz steak with4 tbs cream cheese,jalapeño ,yummmmy
Coffee with hwc ,co

Red you got me on those jalapeño .
Old 10-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #1211
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I know!! Dang!! And I upped the calories the last couple of days too.

Did you get a chance to download that calories podcast Deborah?
I downloaded it but haven't listened to it yet. I have been following the discussion that's been going on about it on Jimmy's site.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #1212
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh? I didn't realize there was one going on over there. I'll have to go check it out.

I was really surprised by a few of the things Matt said. One thing that stuck out to me was the implications of the so-called starvation mode - non-clinical definition of course. Matt believes that constant low calorie intake triggers it and it isn't hard to enter a condition that discourages fat loss. And he feels that cortisol is a screaming meemie shooting out and lighting up the body at the drop of a hat.

He also said some pretty silly stuff about carbs but there ya go. lol consensus between the Paleo and LC community is sometimes a gaping maw.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #1213
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Things been real rough at work, but doing good on my food intake just need to keep cals up,back down to 172 after .5 gain from sat.that is 3 lbs still since last week,ill take it,

Yesterday
B-2 eggs with co butter and steak
Coffee with co hwc,,,,,I love it
S-4 oz steak with4 tbs cream cheese,jalapeño ,yummmmy
Coffee with hwc ,co

Red you got me on those jalapeño .
Hooray on the loss PC!!

And, gosh, I'm so hooked on jalapenos these days. I've liked them for many years. That is almost mandatory living in Texas

Next year I'm going to grow my own. Gonna do one of those above ground small gardens for tomatoes and jalapenos.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:03 AM   #1214
Major LCF Poster!

So Red I eat 5-15 carbs a day,I have been doing 45-55 grams protein and 120-140 fats aday ,1200-1400 cals a day what you think of that I want to do this right cause this is for life?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #1215
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh? I didn't realize there was one going on over there. I'll have to go check it out.

I was really surprised by a few of the things Matt said. One thing that stuck out to me was the implications of the so-called starvation mode - non-clinical definition of course. Matt believes that constant low calorie intake triggers it and it isn't hard to enter a condition that discourages fat loss. And he feels that cortisol is a screaming meemie shooting out and lighting up the body at the drop of a hat.

He also said some pretty silly stuff about carbs but there ya go. lol consensus between the Paleo and LC community is sometimes a gaping maw.
I have to make a bigger effort to get my calories up. Just trying to add more butter and sauces to my food, because I really am satisfied with the amount of food I'm eating now, but know I need to get in more calories somehow. Actually looked into bulletproof coffee today.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #1216
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Morning All! Taking a break from work for a few.

Kerry, don't you just hate it when health care professionals mess up like that??? I am the worse one about waiting too! Texas is wonderful! We would love to have you. The Houston area (not proper) is great, housing prices in the west side are fantastic, the housing market is booming; jobs are available. I have friends that live all over this area. Woodlands is my favorite, bit pricer though. Many top corporations are moving here, due to the friendly nature of our state to companies.

In researching today for one of our Service Line Teams (in healthcare speak, that means a group is trying to improve services and how they are delivered, so we get around a table and get creative....)

I remember Red brought up CoQ10: this is very long, but is good info since our Primary Care Docs may not bring it up, and the cardiac docs just want to put everyone on statins!
For too many patients, statins are creating a false sense of security. And statins are not harmless. They can not only deplete essential nutrients, including CoQ10, but they can also interfere with absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, including A, D, E,K, as well as Omega 3's. For some, statins may also have other serious side effects, such as muscle damage and memory loss.

Red, you recommended CoQ10 on one post -- that is great. It is produced less and less for our bodies as we "age"....but don't buy the one that is hard to get your body to absorb, ubiquinone (foods give us that) (supplement only ubiquinol form, take Vit E with it for max help. CoQ10 is also one of your body’s strongest antioxidants (50 times stronger than vitamin E).
This stuff helped my energy levels 1000%. Helps lower cholestrol and maintain health BP. Helps our bodies so much - includes diabetics. There are over 100 studies you can reference on the good this stuff does for us. It is a must-have for congestive heart patients, and we don't even want to get there, as the treatments are so limited! Statins (HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors) will reduce the CoQ too, not good. I take 100mg after evening meal. Online sources are less expensive.

And here are some other studies that show research is opening up a new world of CoQ10 benefits. These include:

• Blood Sugar: An Australian study showed that patients who took only 200 mg a day of CoQ10 were able to improve their blood sugar control and significantly reduce their blood pressure.4 (studies referenced below)

• Vision and Eye Health: A recent clinical trial showed that CoQ10 play a role in protecting your eyes from macular degeneration. Adults who supplemented with a combination of CoQ10, acetyl-L-carnitine, and omega-3 fatty acids for one year improved their visual function.5

• Easier Breathing… Researchers in Texas found a correlation between CoQ10 levels and respiratory health. They looked at blood from a diverse selection of people with allergies. Forty percent of them had CoQ10 levels so low they were similar to people dying of congestive heart failure!6

• Gum Health: CoQ10 improves gum health and also supports tissue healing.7

• Clear-headed comfort: In a study, 32 patients were treated with CoQ10 daily. More than 60% of the patients experienced a 50% or greater reduction in the number of severe headaches. (YES, this works, I had severe migraines!!) After three months, the frequency fell by an average of 55%.8

And it’s not just stain drugs that can rob you of CoQ10. Beta blockers, diabetes medications and other drugs drop your CoQ10 levels. Excess body fat, repeatedly exercising for too long, or chronic inflammation can also use up your CoQ10 stores.

Food Full of CoQ10 – Your best source of CoQ10 is : red meat.

Even people who are nutrition advocates and are very knowledgeable about nutrition want to try to gloss over this issue… that there are no good vegetable sources of CoQ10.

If you’re going to become a vegetarian, you are going to be profoundly deficient in CoQ10. Meat and fish are your only sources.

They’ll find miniscule amounts of CoQ10 and say, “Oh, see, you can eat brewer’s yeast and get CoQ10.”

No you can’t. You can’t get an appreciable amount.

Spinach, broccoli, peanuts and wheat germ? Not even close.

Whole grains? Forget it. Whole grains are not a significant or bioavailable source of CoQ10.

Avocados, almonds, grape seeds and sesame seeds do have a tiny bit of CoQ10, but not as much as animal meat.

And eating meat will not boost your cholesterol levels. One recent study proved that eating lean meat helps reduce LDL and raise HDL levels. It didn’t matter what kind of meat.9

The best food sources of CoQ10 are fish and meat!

One thing to remember is that these amounts are all the ubiquinone form. Your body needs 400 mg per day of this form of CoQ10. One kg of meat is about 35 ounces. That means you would have to eat more than two 16 ounce steaks to get 80 mg of the ubiquinone form of CoQ10 from your beef.

A better option would be grass-fed animal meat. Grass-fed beef has much more CoQ10 that feedlot-beef does. That’s because CoQ10 accumulates in the fat around the organs in animals raised on grass. Commercially raised animals are fed an unnatural and toxic diet of grains and hormones. Toxins then collect in the fat instead of nutrients like CoQ10.

Get The CoQ10 Your Body Uses – If you can’t get grass-fed animal meat and would like to supplement, I recommend the ubiquinol form of CoQ10. Ubiquinol is the form that already has the electrons your body uses for energy. And it’s eight times more powerful than the old form, ubiquinone.

Recommended you consider taking a minimum of 50 mg of ubiquinol CoQ10 every day. If you have high blood pressure, heart disease, high cholesterol, gingivitis, age-related memory loss, chronic fatigue or are a vegetarian, you should consider increasing your dose to 100 mg of ubiquinol per day.

1 Judy, W.V., Stogsdill, W.W., Folkers, K., “Myocardial preservation by therapy with coenzyme Q10 during heart surgery,” Clin. Investig. 1993;71(8 Suppl):S155-61
2 Hiroshi, Mabushi, et al, “Reduction of Serum Ubiquinone-10 and Ubiquinol-10 Levels By Atorvastatin in Hypercholesterolemic Patients,” J. Atheroscler. Thromb. 2005; 12(2):111-119
3 “Nucleogenesis: Dihydroorotate dehydrogenase,” Metabolic Database,
4 Hodgson, J.M., Watts, G.F., Playford, D.A., et al, “Coenzyme Q10 improves blood pressure and glycemic control in a controlled trial in subjects with type 2 diabetes,” Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. Nov. 2002;56(11):1137-42
5 Blasi, M.A., Bovina, C., Carella, G., et al, “Does coenzyme Q10 play a role in opposing oxidative stress in patients with age-related macular degeneration?” Opthalmologica Jan.-Feb. 2001;215(1):51-4
6 Ye, C.Q., Folkers, K., Tamagawa, H., et al, “A modified determination of coenzyme Q10 in human blood and CoQ10 blood levels in diverse patients with allergies,” Biofactors Dec. 1988;1(4):303-6
7 Horowitz, S., “Coenzyme Q10: one antioxidant, many promising implications,” Altern. Comp. Therapies June 2003:111-6
8 Rozen, T.D., Oshinksy, M.L., Gebeline, C.A., et al, “Open label trial of coenzyme Q10 as a migraine preventive,” Cephalgia Mar. 2002;22(2):137-41
9 Sears, A. M.D., The Doctor’s Heart Cure, Dragon Door Publications, Minnesota, 2004
Old 10-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #1217
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Hi SouthernGirl!

It now seems like it happened so fast that I really am not sure! I think the biggest change happened when I adopted Nutritional Ketosis. I eat HF/MP/VLC (usually at least 80% fat and about 2% carbs), and I exercise for about a half hour 5 days a week. Really didn't think I'd even meet my original goal when I first started LC, so amazed and very thankful that this woe has worked so well.
Maybe I need to kick up the exercise, build more muscle. I am not as low on the carbs, that's a good number to know. seems the closer you get to goal, the harder it gets to achieve it!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:19 AM   #1218
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Love all the info!!! Thanks! My magnesium is a "triple" type with 3 kinds in the capsule (300 mg) and then I take one with lunch that is glycinate I think and that's only 125 mg....I can't take more than that or I have the same issues Buffy had....poor tummy!!!!!

Thanks for this great post!
I take the triple kind in the morning, cause it helps with the potty issues, but in the evening I take malate form. The triple I have has the oxide, which is well, not absorbed well, thus the "help" we get on that -- but the other ones at different rates absorb.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #1219
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
So Red I eat 5-15 carbs a day,I have been doing 45-55 grams protein and 120-140 fats aday ,1200-1400 cals a day what you think of that I want to do this right cause this is for life?
According to Drs. Voleck/Phinney, maintenance level caloric intake is 35kCal per kg of ideal weight.

For you, using your number of ~140, that makes your daily calorie intake 2227.

(140/2.2)*35 = 2227.

Which means you are currently doing at least 1,000 calorie a day deficit. You could probably up your current calorie amount by about 500 and see the scale start to move in a more steady way downward.

I'd bump the protein 10g and make up the rest in fat to shoot for at least 1750 calories a day.

Keep in mind that you have drastically increased your activity level in the last few weeks. You need the extra calories or you will be fighting your body's response to this new stress of recent physical demands.

Additionally, your brain is lit up with new demands which must translate into more energy requirement I think.

The brain burns about 600 calories a day normally. One of the podcast said that - I think it was the one with Matt on calories. That explains his horrified response to a 1200 calorie day lol.

So when you eat a 1200 calories on any given day, your brain has sucked up half of it leaving your body only 600 calories to manage everything else.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #1220
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I have to make a bigger effort to get my calories up. Just trying to add more butter and sauces to my food, because I really am satisfied with the amount of food I'm eating now, but know I need to get in more calories somehow. Actually looked into bulletproof coffee today.
Very interesting, no?

Yesterday I was eating most of the time when I was not hungry. I was satiated just fine on 1500 calories a day.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #1221
Major LCF Poster!

Red we're did you get 140?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #1222
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
According to Drs. Voleck/Phinney, maintenance level caloric intake is 35kCal per kg of ideal weight.

For you, using your number of ~140, that makes your daily calorie intake 2227.

(140/2.2)*35 = 2227.

Which means you are currently doing at least 1,000 calorie a day deficit. You could probably up your current calorie amount by about 500 and see the scale start to move in a more steady way downward.

I'd bump the protein 10g and make up the rest in fat to shoot for at least 1750 calories a day.

Keep in mind that you have drastically increased your activity level in the last few weeks. You need the extra calories or you will be fighting your body's response to this new stress of recent physical demands.

Additionally, your brain is lit up with new demands which must translate into more energy requirement I think.

The brain burns about 600 calories a day normally. One of the podcast said that - I think it was the one with Matt on calories. That explains his horrified response to a 1200 calorie day lol.

So when you eat a 1200 calories on any given day, your brain has sucked up half of it leaving your body only 600 calories to manage everything else.

I keep trying to figure it out, and you probably have done this for me before, but can you figure out my numbers to maintain this weight?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #1223
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
I remember Red brought up CoQ10
It was one of the 4 or 5 'desert island' supplements that Dr. Johnny Bowden said he'd choose.

'atlcx-26-dr-jonny-bowden'

Old 10-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #1224
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Red we're did you get 140?
Your goal weight is 139 on your profile blurb so I rounded it up to 140 to use an even number.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #1225
Major LCF Poster!

Coq10 do you take this red?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #1226
Major LCF Poster!

Ok thanks Red
Old 10-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #1227
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I keep trying to figure it out, and you probably have done this for me before, but can you figure out my numbers to maintain this weight?
For 130:

(130/2.2)*35 = 2068

For 120:

(120/2.2)*35 = 1909

Old 10-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #1228
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Coq10 do you take this red?
Yes ma'am!

Here is what I take every day:

CoQ10
Multi-vit
Omega Red
Fish oil
Mag
D3
Garlic
Potassium
Old 10-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #1229
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
Morning!

B - 2 eggs, 3 bacon, coffee w/CO
S - shake
L - lettuce/spinach salad w/chicken, 1/2 avocado & olive oil
D - ribeye & cauliflower
Old 10-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #1230
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Quote:
For 130:

(130/2.2)*35 = 2068

For 120:

(120/2.2)*35 = 1909

The complete macro profile, which is probably what you were asking for in the first place:

Calories: 2013

Protein grams: 72
Fat grams: 181
Carb grams: 24

Last edited by reddarin; 10-16-2012 at 06:48 AM..
Closed Thread