Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #1171
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
What is your goal weight Buffy?

And my thinking on protein is shifting upwards not downwards. Also, I wonder if we are not way to calorie restricted.

Ya'll check out this podcast:

Google 'atlcx-9-mat-lalonde' - His specialty is calories and he has a decided Paleo tilt to his views and some blather about carbs for performance but on the whole it is an eye opening podcast.

Get this! At about 22:00 minutes he states that too much of a calorie restriction sacrifices muscle mass! He doesn't qualify it either. I mean, he doesn't say 'if you eat enough protein'. He flatly states that too big of a calorie deficit costs LBM.

Later in the podcast, around the 43:00 minute mark, Jimmy tries to get him to say how little is too little for calories. He refuses to answer the question because there are so many variables for any given individual.

BUT!! Jimmy bates him by saying that Jimmy sees 1200 calories being bandied about on the forums (like ours lol) they both wonder where that number comes from.

Let me quote the calorie expert!

"Wow! That's low! Really low!"

Now, this shocked response from this calorie expert is *after* he flatly refused to set a lower limit on calories!!!

Very interesting, no?

Expect to see my calories bump up to a new normal lol.

Last edited by reddarin; 10-15-2012 at 12:56 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #1172
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Well, if you put me at medium build, the high weight at goal is like 139, which I have not seen in years and I have no desire to get that thin at my age. If I am large frame, then I had kind of set it as 150, just to have a number to work with. But, again, unless an older person is just naturally thin and always has been thin, I don't think losing down to a thin number on the scale usually looks too good, your skin gets really saggy,lots of wrinkles in your face, etc. To be honest, my short range goal, and this could end up being a long range if I lose as slowly as I think, is more like 170. I have been over 200 for so many years now that 170 sounds really good. I am in a size 16 pants and I think at 170 I would probably be a size 12 which sounds pretty darn good.
Now, does that help at all?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #1173
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
Howdy!

Howdy!

I've been lurking around in here for about a week now. I'm another case of "restarting". Currently at an all-time high of somewhere between 208-211. (yesterday was 211, today was 208.8 after cocktails last night.)

My plan at the moment is to basically detox from carbs and then take a closer look at my macros.

Today:
B - coffee w/CO
S - protein shake
L - small lettuce/spinach salad with chicken, avocado & olive oil
D - Monday's hot wing night with the hubby. I get 15 naked w/hot sauce and blue cheese on the side

Anyway, thought I'd de-lurk to say Hey! & that I'm throwing my hat in the ring.

Signed
Soon to be 37yo, 5'4" lazy butt
Nicki
Old 10-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #1174
Blabbermouth!!!

Give me a little bit so I can format my spreadsheet to make it easier to paste the info into a post
Old 10-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #1175
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmsWay View Post
Howdy!

I've been lurking around in here for about a week now. I'm another case of "restarting". Currently at an all-time high of somewhere between 208-211. (yesterday was 211, today was 208.8 after cocktails last night.)

My plan at the moment is to basically detox from carbs and then take a closer look at my macros.

Today:
B - coffee w/CO
S - protein shake
L - small lettuce/spinach salad with chicken, avocado & olive oil
D - Monday's hot wing night with the hubby. I get 15 naked w/hot sauce and blue cheese on the side

Anyway, thought I'd de-lurk to say Hey! & that I'm throwing my hat in the ring.

Signed
Soon to be 37yo, 5'4" lazy butt
Nicki
Hi Nicki! Welcome aboard!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #1176
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Well, if you put me at medium build, the high weight at goal is like 139, which I have not seen in years and I have no desire to get that thin at my age. If I am large frame, then I had kind of set it as 150, just to have a number to work with. But, again, unless an older person is just naturally thin and always has been thin, I don't think losing down to a thin number on the scale usually looks too good, your skin gets really saggy,lots of wrinkles in your face, etc. To be honest, my short range goal, and this could end up being a long range if I lose as slowly as I think, is more like 170. I have been over 200 for so many years now that 170 sounds really good. I am in a size 16 pants and I think at 170 I would probably be a size 12 which sounds pretty darn good.
Now, does that help at all?
Okay, here ya go. I did the numbers for all three weights so you can choose.

Goal Weight: 139

NK Page:
(x*(1-.18)*0.6 = 68

Exercise Page:
(x/2.2)*0.8 = 51
(x/2.2)*1.2 = 76
(x/2.2)*1.5 = 95
(x/2.2)*1.8 = 114

-------------------------------

Goal Weight: 150

NK Page:
(x*(1-.18)*0.6 = 74

Exercise Page:
(x/2.2)*0.8 = 55
(x/2.2)*1.2 = 82
(x/2.2)*1.5 = 102
(x/2.2)*1.8 = 123

-------------------------------

Goal Weight: 170

NK Page:
(x*(1-.18)*0.6 = 84

Exercise Page:
(x/2.2)*0.8 = 62
(x/2.2)*1.2 = 93
(x/2.2)*1.5 = 116
(x/2.2)*1.8 = 139

Old 10-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #1177
Big Yapper!!!!

Nikki
Old 10-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #1178
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dianajlane
WOE: new to HFLC, but long-time LC-er
Start Date: 10/1/2012
Protein Requirements

Here is the website I used to determine my protein requirements:

Daily Protein Requirements and Protein Intake

It put the upper level for my height at 50 grams/day if sedentary, and at 60 if active.

Do you need more protein if low-carbing (assuming you are already low-carb adapted and gluconeogenesis is available)?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #1179
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Red, have printed this out and will keep. Looks like I could go down to 51 while I am losing. Is that correct?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #1180
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajlane View Post
Here is the website I used to determine my protein requirements:

Daily Protein Requirements and Protein Intake

It put the upper level for my height at 50 grams/day if sedentary, and at 60 if active.

Do you need more protein if low-carbing (assuming you are already low-carb adapted and gluconeogenesis is available)?

Thanks for your help.
Goodness. The WHO recommends .45/kg! There is no way that isn't a politically derived number. As in, less protein required is cheaper. And their macro recommendation is eye popping but pretty standard for high carb woes.

I'd start with the 60g and see how it works for a week or two Diana.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #1181
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks Red, have printed this out and will keep. Looks like I could go down to 51 while I am losing. Is that correct?
I think I'd sacrifice some of the fat ratio to get closer to 60g and split the difference if you are using 130 as the reference weight Buffy. You are not really sedentary even if you aren't hitting the gym. You do your walks and you do plenty of running around on errands too.

But the answer to your question is, yes, using that weight and the 0.8 formula.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #1182
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I think I'd sacrifice some of the fat ratio to get closer to 60g and split the difference if you are using 130 as the reference weight Buffy. You are not really sedentary even if you aren't hitting the gym. You do your walks and you do plenty of running around on errands too.

But the answer to your question is, yes, using that weight and the 0.8 formula.

Need to walk, not doing it yet
Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #1183
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok, well, I have been aiming for 59 minimum and have been hitting it most of the time so I guess I will just continue that.

Ok, now have the Matt podcast pulled up, so off to listen to that
Old 10-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #1184
Blabbermouth!!!

Let me know what you think of what Matt has to say!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #1185
Blabbermouth!!!

Food Log

Log and numbers for today.

Calories: 1953

Fat: 172
Pro: 81
Car: 33

78/16/6

Breakfast: CO & coffee.
Lunch: I had shredded lettuce, ground sausage, jalapeno, tomato, cheese. Very tasty.
Dinner: Fish, broccoli, jalapeno.
Snacks: HWC floats.
End of Day: T of CO.

I got my 2t of sodium in again today yay! Lunch was very good. Sort of like a taco salad but with breakfast sausage. Fish fried in bacon grease is just excellent no doubt about it. Had lots of HWC floats to push fat and cals up. Gonna take my end of day CO here in a little bit, before 6pm for sure. I have pushed water intake up a little more. Looking back over my weight log - I just started backfilling a spreadsheet with macros and scale readings - it is pretty unusual to see a new low without a bump or steady reading. But I did finish supper before 2pm so only liquids after that. We'll see.
Attached Images
File Type: png graph_10152012.png (20.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg log_10152012.jpg (36.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #1186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
In my best southern drawl "ya'll want a whoopin boy"
OMG! That sounds just like my mamma used to yell at my brother! Love it!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #1187
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hello to all! Football weekends are the best, stadium food, well, not so much! I ordered a sandwich with Lo Carb no wheat bread (yes, my mistake), really just wanted the insides....ate some of it, not worth it. No trust for restaurants saying Lo Carb, after my throat stopped swelling....I found out that it had wheat. Back to basics again Monday morning. What looks tempting from the carb-world bites back again!

Buffy - a belated Happy Birthday! I read in my catch-up that your coconut butter was like the oil? I have three brands now, and they are all like peanut butter consistency. MaraNatha, I think, is the last one I got, it's in most larger groceries, very good, after warmed I added coconut milk to keep it from going very hard. Mixed it with PB, Almond Butter, and made Mac Butter too.

WELCOME to the newbies, I'm still one myself. This is a great support thread. Have to catch up to learn everyone's names and such.

Deborah, how did you break 120? You look great! Oh to be 43 again! Wait, no, teenagers again....pass!

Kerry, I love all your recipes, ideas! Keep them up. I get in a rut and eat the same thing over and over. In the 140s, that is fantastic!

Red - Slow Burn? Is it fun? I got back to PACE, and I can do 10 minutes, moving up to 15. 188 is gosh - fantastic! You are on a roll.

Someone asked if this WOE is good forever, I really hope so! I felt 100% better since starting, and DH and I both noticed the feelings of eating the carb. Reinforced to him that it was not worth it.

Pat, Happy Late Anniversary! We had our 30th in August, feels like such an accomplishment!

Shelly, we are frustrated beside and with you on this! I know we have all scratched our heads at these times, but you will figure it out! My niece, the ballerina, is a Low Carber since age 12....she was lucky to figure this stuff out way ahead of time. She sees the other ones starving and using liquids to fill up.

Jilly, I don't measure ketones, I get to OC about stuff, bad teenager food issues -- so I go with feeling good, and trying to lose the last 6 lbs....well, about 6 lbs.

OH, I forgot...Red, I told you I would go back to the clinical research and read more on magnesium. Buffy you have a good type, nothing with oxide -- but increasing in 200mg daily is recommended....up to min of 400 for women, optium heart health 600-1000 spread out with food daily. And Red, there was no recommendation on "netting" it, several docs say to supplement diet, and one specifically mentions not to try to break out the elements and exceed 1000mg. I have not had any cramps since I added the 2 99 of Potasium twice a day with food. I am currently taking mag pot three times a day, up to 600 mg, been working my way up easy....Buffy, it messed up my tummy in the first weeks too.

Last edited by SouthernGirl61; 10-15-2012 at 06:30 PM..
Old 10-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #1188
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hello to all! Football weekends are the best, stadium food, well, not so much! I ordered a sandwich with Lo Carb no wheat bread (yes, my mistake), really just wanted the insides....ate some of it, not worth it. No trust for restaurants saying Lo Carb, after my throat stopped swelling....I found out that it had wheat. Back to basics again Monday morning. What looks tempting from the carb-world bites back again!

Buffy - a belated Happy Birthday! I read in my catch-up that your coconut butter was like the oil? I have three brands now, and they are all like peanut butter consistency. MaraNatha, I think, is the last one I got, it's in most larger groceries, very good, after warmed I added coconut milk to keep it from going very hard. Mixed it with PB, Almond Butter, and made Mac Butter too.

WELCOME to the newbies, I'm still one myself. This is a great support thread. Have to catch up to learn everyone's names and such.

Deborah, how did you break 120? You look great! Oh to be 43 again! Wait, no, teenagers again....pass!

Kerry, I love all your recipes, ideas! Keep them up. I get in a rut and eat the same thing over and over. In the 140s, that is fantastic!

Red - Slow Burn? Is it fun? I got back to PACE, and I can do 10 minutes, moving up to 15. 188 is gosh - fantastic! You are on a roll.

Someone asked if this WOE is good forever, I really hope so! I felt 100% better since starting, and DH and I both noticed the feelings of eating the carb. Reinforced to him that it was not worth it.

Pat, Happy Late Anniversary! We had our 30th in August, feels like such an accomplishment!

Shelly, we are frustrated beside and with you on this! I know we have all scratched our heads at these times, but you will figure it out! My niece, the ballerina, is a Low Carber since age 12....she was lucky to figure this stuff out way ahead of time. She sees the other ones starving and using liquids to fill up.

Jilly, I don't measure ketones, I get to OC about stuff, bad teenager food issues -- so I go with feeling good, and trying to lose the last 6 lbs....well, about 6 lbs.

OH, I forgot...Red, I told you I would go back to the clinical research and read more on magnesium. Buffy you have a good type, nothing with oxide -- but increasing in 200mg daily is recommended....up to min of 400 for women, optium heart health 600-1000 spread out with food daily. And Red, there was no recommendation on "netting" it, several docs say to supplement diet, and one specifically mentions not to try to break out the elements and exceed 1000mg. I have not had any cramps since I added the 2 99 of Potasium twice a day with food. I am currently taking mag pot three times a day, up to 600 mg, been working my way up easy....Buffy, it messed up my tummy in the first weeks too.
lots of good info
Old 10-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #1189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Ended today with:
  • 3 eggs, crumbled bacon, and shredded cheese fried in butter and onion powder, topped with sour cream
  • homemade low-carb chili topped with shredded cheese and sour cream
  • salt n' vinegar almonds
  • husband wanted to go out for dinner, and I, of course, was happy to not cook. Went to Longhorn, where I had a bacon and white cheddar stuffed filet, starter salad with Italian dressing (no croutons), and about 3 bites of green beans with extra butter
  • beef jerky

Close...and 7 of the carb grams were fiber.
8.01% carbs (41g)
75.18% fat (171g)
16.81% protein (86g)

My weight this morning was 205.5. I see many of you appear to weigh daily, but I don't think I'm going to follow suit, as that too often leads to obsession and frustration (for me). I'll probably track my weight once a week.
Quote:
That is excellent news! What I meant to point out, though, was that once you are diagnosed a diabetic, the line cannot be uncrossed insofar as how much sensitivity you can recover but the difference may be meaningless for all practical purposes with an LC woe.
Actually, the surgery I had has been deemed by many in the medical community to cure type 2 diabetes, which is why I chose the specific procedure I had (duodenal switch). I can eat anything and still not see abnormal post-prandial glucose spikes. In my most recent lab draw, I had not been following a low-carb WOE, and my fasting glucose was 84 and A1C of 4.8. After my surgery, I participated in a study run by an endocrinologist at Johns Hopkins. By 6 months after my surgery, my insulin sensitivity had increased drastically (as evidenced during multiple clamp tests, meal tolerance tests, and other invasive tests). I still say I'm diabetic, but if I were to go to a new doctor tomorrow and not tell them I'd been previously diagnosed, they would not diagnose me as such based on any tests (normal fasting glucose, normal post-prandial glucose, normal fasting insulin, normal A1C...). It's pretty amazing!
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 10-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #1190
Senior LCF Member

Oh, and I saw mention of magnesium citrate - use with caution, as mag citrate is most often used as a laxative, which may be the cause of the tummy troubles! I know many who have had to down mag citrate prior to surgery to get "cleaned out."
Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #1191
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
but if I were to go to a new doctor tomorrow and not tell them I'd been previously diagnosed, they would not diagnose me as such based on any tests (normal fasting glucose, normal post-prandial glucose, normal fasting insulin, normal A1C...). It's pretty amazing!
Not just pretty amazing, it is freaking amazing!! Thanks for filling me in. That is quite extraordinary!

Sounds like you did really well today especially since you went out to eat
Old 10-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #1192
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Gah! I'll keep that in mind for sure.

Quote:
Dunno if I'd call it fun but the podcast was not very informative on actually doing Slow Burn which was disappointing considering who the guest was. I still haven't googled it yet.

Quote:
I've been at 800mg for the last several weeks but it is Oxide sadly.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #1193
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
good evening all.. I had the day from hell.. lol
3 people were out today, along with one of my managers.

(red cover your eyes)
I had an ob/gyn appt after work to have an IUD implanted. I waited 2hrs to be seen to only find out that it was never ordered because the old office manager doesn't work there anymore..

My calories wree kind of high today but im still happy, I hope with all the stress my number doesn't go up so much tomorrow. I expect it, I ate alot, and I stressed like crazy doing 10 jobs at once and then this bs at my gyn. I feel like I need a hug

calories: 1715
Fat : 151.7
Protein: 74.6
Carb 15.9 Fiber 4.9

fat 78%/Protein 18%/ Carbs 4%

Breakfast was Hot ginger bread tea with HWC
2nd Breakfast was my pumpkin cream cheese pudding thingie

Lunch was a can of tuna with 4T mayo and 3 small celery stalks

Dinner was 3 soft boiled eggs with 1T butter and 4 pieces of bacon chopped up mixed in

I forget how amazing soft boiled eggs are, they are so under rated. I deff could see them as comfort food, and im already thinking about ways to make them better like with rotel tomatoes mixed in and avocado and a dollop of sour cream (drools in a pool)
Fit into my Guess Black Skinny Jeans
"i may pause, but I don't stop"
Old 10-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #1194
Blabbermouth!!!

You did really good for a high stress day Kerry!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #1195
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Quote:

You did really good for a high stress day Kerry!
Thanks red. Believe it or not but stress and depression kills my appitite. I almost didn't eat my cream cheese pumpkin pudding today because I was running around like a chicken with no head... But I made myself eat it so I could take my vitamins. When I take my vits on just liquid it makes me sicky..
Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #1196
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

I see a bunch of you are from Texas..
For some reason it has been my dream to move to texas. Hubby and I hope to in maybe the next 5 yrs be able to move there. Any suggestions? hints? Its funny cause I never even been there... I work for a major luxury automotive brand that I feel would give me a job in a heartbeat down there (I'm a client care manager)
Its my dream, and it is so hard to live here in NYC.. Can't afford to live here, can't afford to move away...
Old 10-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #1197
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:

Love all the info!!! Thanks! My magnesium is a "triple" type with 3 kinds in the capsule (300 mg) and then I take one with lunch that is glycinate I think and that's only 125 mg....I can't take more than that or I have the same issues Buffy had....poor tummy!!!!!

Thanks for this great post!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #1198
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post

My calories wree kind of high today but im still happy, I hope with all the stress my number doesn't go up so much tomorrow. I expect it, I ate alot, and I stressed like crazy doing 10 jobs at once and then this bs at my gyn. I feel like I need a hug

calories: 1715
Fat : 151.7
Protein: 74.6
Carb 15.9 Fiber 4.9

fat 78%/Protein 18%/ Carbs 4%
Wow Kerry...you did have a rotten day, but you really did well with all that stress!!!!!

I wish I could give you a "real" hug, but this will have to do for now

I hope tomorrow is a super day for you! You deserve it!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #1199
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
[/LIST]
Actually, the surgery I had has been deemed by many in the medical community to cure type 2 diabetes, which is why I chose the specific procedure I had (duodenal switch). I can eat anything and still not see abnormal post-prandial glucose spikes. In my most recent lab draw, I had not been following a low-carb WOE, and my fasting glucose was 84 and A1C of 4.8. After my surgery, I participated in a study run by an endocrinologist at Johns Hopkins. By 6 months after my surgery, my insulin sensitivity had increased drastically (as evidenced during multiple clamp tests, meal tolerance tests, and other invasive tests). I still say I'm diabetic, but if I were to go to a new doctor tomorrow and not tell them I'd been previously diagnosed, they would not diagnose me as such based on any tests (normal fasting glucose, normal post-prandial glucose, normal fasting insulin, normal A1C...). It's pretty amazing!
Wow Jillybean, that's fantastic that your numbers have changed so beautifully with that surgery (I don't know anything about it). Pretty fabulous!!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 03:52 AM   #1200
Senior LCF Member

Looks like there is an error in my food tracking figures for yesterday. They have my steak as 0 protein! That fix should make my %s even better, but have to wait until I get to a computer to fix (on my phone now).

I'm in a training course this morning for my new job. Of course, they are providing breakfast goodies. I had a protein shake in the car on my way in
Closed Thread