Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #1021
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
congrats Kerry!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #1022
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
but carbs from things like fruits, vegetables, and dairy are starting to creep up
Just avoid those items as much as possible at least for the short term - especially fruits. Make sure you are supplementing with vitamins and minerals.

You can approach the higher protein with lean protein sources and added non-PUFA fats to push towards your macro goal while keeping calories reasonable.

Alternatively, you can try for fatty proteins to get your macro ratios where you want them.

Both approaches work so experiment a little.

These Jimmy Moore podcasts are packed with good information. Just google them.

Dr. Bowden's interview about supplements - excellent stuff.
'atlcx-26-dr-jonny-bowden'

Dr. Robbins' interview about magnesium - listen to this one first.
'LLVLC-ep-602-morley-robbins'

Dr. Phinney's interview about stalls - so packed with answers.
'LLVLC_PhinneyLongStalls'

Old 10-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #1023
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
Can't believe I weigh in at 150.6 this morning (and I wasn't even one hundred percent nekkid lol lol woohoo)
Both my kids have colds so it doesn't look like I'll be doing much today...
Wow! That is awesome Kerry!
Old 10-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #1024
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Weight almost back down to Mondays low.

DD's weight down as well.
Wonderful!

Quote:
Red, just a thought but are you getting your calories too low? You have been charting a long time, before I met you, so I don't know for sure but for a 6' guy they do seem kind of low.
That ran across my mind yesterday too. I might push the calories up a bit with some tasty fat. That will help push up my fat ratio which is good.

I just checked the BMR calculator and it shows my maintenance level to be 2133 and a deficit level to be 1706 and extreme to be 1512.

So far I am mapped out on my log to get 1688 cals with 78% fat.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #1025
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
thanks red and buffy!
ok i already take magnesium, fish oil, vitamin b stress tabs, vitamin d, vitamin c

I'm going to start adding kelp tablets.

(i placing an order)

I am getting MCT oil, more coconut oil...

Any other suggestions on things that would be good to add?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #1026
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
thanks red and buffy!
ok i already take magnesium, fish oil, vitamin b stress tabs, vitamin d, vitamin c

(i placing an order)

Maybe potassium and CoQ10. That supplements podcast I posted about is good for an overview.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #1027
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
thanks red and buffy!

(i placing an order)

Hi Kerry...you're doing GREAT!!! Hope your kids feel better...it's "that time of year" for sure.

Re: your order.....I don't know your history, but if you have any thyroid issues (hashi's in particular) you do NOT want to be taking kelp/iodine! Other than that, I can't wait for you to try the MCT oil in your coffee.....I do love it best in coffee instead of CO. I use the CO elsewhere.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #1028
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi, all! I just discovered this group today and would love some real support for how I try to eat. I have a few other groups I participate with (on other sites), but they don't seem to quite "get it." Many aim to stay under 100 or 75g carbs each day. To me, that ain't gonna cut it! I aim to keep my carbs in the single digits % of calories and my fat at 65% or greater % of calories. My ratios may be a bit skewed from some here because I have higher protein requirements (had weight loss surgery about 3.5 years ago, which means I need more protein intake), but overall, I eat high in fat, very low in carbs, and try to stay completely grain-free. I don't follow a specific "named" plan, so this group appeared to be the closest fit for me.

I read the intro post to this thread and very much appreciated what I read (especially the tip to avoid things like soy oil - many don't seem to understand when I say I avoid soybean oil but don't limit the fat on my meats!).

I've been struggling a bit more than usual lately to stay on track. I am good at keeping grains out of my life, but carbs from things like fruits, vegetables, and dairy are starting to creep up, which I can't afford since I've got a good 50 pounds I'd like to lose. So, mind if I butt in?
Welcome Jilly!!!!! This is a fun forum, and we are all different and have different requirements and I think that's part of why this thread works so well. We aren't "one size fits all" by any means and our illustrious leader, Reddarrin, is amazing in his knowledge and assistance.

Your little boy is adorable!!!!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #1029
Senior LCF Member

Hi all...finally got out of the house for the first time in over 2 weeks. Got some chicken broth in boxes, and got home and heated up a cup and added my "real salt" to it to make even more sodium. Yum.

My total calories yesterday was a "bit" low at 935 (don't yell at me!!!) I just wasn't hungry at all. My macros were 76/18/6 which isn't bad and the scale dropped .4 of the 1# I gained in the last few days. Up and down and up and down. I'm quite used to it by now.

I bought that 3# package of "bacon pieces" that you all talk about. I opened it this AM and didn't want bacon grease all over everything, so put the entire thing into a huge stock pot and stuck the lid on! Took about 30 minutes on low, but it worked great and no splatter anywhere, and it yielded about a cup of bacon grease...bacon mayo here I come! This is the best way to get enough grease to actually do it! I'll let you know what I think of the recipe.

Re: salt...make sure you eat good salt (himalayan/real/sea salt) and not the type that is in the store and "iodized". Did you all know that it contains sugar?! Someone clued me into that long ago. Kristn's thread has said the 2 tsp of good salt daily as well. I have no problems doing salt, but as an experiment, you might try measuring out 2 tsp and putting it in a little container (I used a little shot glass...and NO I do not drink, but thought it was cute when I bought it!). I thought I consumed too much salt. I didn't empty the shot class of the 2 tsp and I tried doing that 2 times. It's a nice little experiment if you think you are salting generously (like I thought). I also get lite salt (Mortons) as it is 50% potassium, and I have potassium in powdered form that I put in a glass of water stir it in (don't take the tablets...maybe next time)

Hope you all have a great day. Looks some some of us are up and some are down on the scale. Tomorrow is measure day for me and taking average bodyfat for the week (Tanita). Should be interesting. Right now I'm "up" on the weight, but hopefully the inches will go lower.

Thanks Red for the potassium thing about lean muscle tissue. My bodyfat measurements are all over the place, but on average it seems that I am not losing fat, but losing muscle. I'll add in MORE salt and potassium and see how that works for next week.

One new thing I noticed this last week in the evening hours after dinner....I get "heartburn" feelings...pain in my chest through the back at the center of my chest and a "burping" of a very dislikeable taste in my mouth....have no clue.....my "history" pre-LC eating was that I had to add in TONS of HCI with anything I ate in order to be able to digest it. I'm wondering if it was too much CO or fats for me??? Any thoughts? Thanks all. Have a super weekend!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #1030
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Shelley, have you tried apple cider vinegar for your heartburn? If you google it there's a lot of posts about its benefits for acid reflux.

Kerry, you're giving Red a lot of competition as to who will be our Poster Child. I take the same supplements you're taking, plus melotonin. Now I hope to follow your example resultwise (is that a word, my spellcheck doesn't think so).

Here's a good article about salt The Healthful Benefits of Sea Salt | Simple Homemade I threw away all of our regular salt yesterday and replaced it with Celtic sea salt.

Pat
Old 10-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #1031
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Hi all...finally got out of the house for the first time in over 2 weeks. Got some chicken broth in boxes, and got home and heated up a cup and added my "real salt" to it to make even more sodium. Yum.

My total calories yesterday was a "bit" low at 935 (don't yell at me!!!) I just wasn't hungry at all. My macros were 76/18/6 which isn't bad and the scale dropped .4 of the 1# I gained in the last few days. Up and down and up and down. I'm quite used to it by now.

I bought that 3# package of "bacon pieces" that you all talk about. I opened it this AM and didn't want bacon grease all over everything, so put the entire thing into a huge stock pot and stuck the lid on! Took about 30 minutes on low, but it worked great and no splatter anywhere, and it yielded about a cup of bacon grease...bacon mayo here I come! This is the best way to get enough grease to actually do it! I'll let you know what I think of the recipe.

Re: salt...make sure you eat good salt (himalayan/real/sea salt) and not the type that is in the store and "iodized". Did you all know that it contains sugar?! Someone clued me into that long ago. Kristn's thread has said the 2 tsp of good salt daily as well. I have no problems doing salt, but as an experiment, you might try measuring out 2 tsp and putting it in a little container (I used a little shot glass...and NO I do not drink, but thought it was cute when I bought it!). I thought I consumed too much salt. I didn't empty the shot class of the 2 tsp and I tried doing that 2 times. It's a nice little experiment if you think you are salting generously (like I thought). I also get lite salt (Mortons) as it is 50% potassium, and I have potassium in powdered form that I put in a glass of water stir it in (don't take the tablets...maybe next time)

Hope you all have a great day. Looks some some of us are up and some are down on the scale. Tomorrow is measure day for me and taking average bodyfat for the week (Tanita). Should be interesting. Right now I'm "up" on the weight, but hopefully the inches will go lower.

Thanks Red for the potassium thing about lean muscle tissue. My bodyfat measurements are all over the place, but on average it seems that I am not losing fat, but losing muscle. I'll add in MORE salt and potassium and see how that works for next week.

One new thing I noticed this last week in the evening hours after dinner....I get "heartburn" feelings...pain in my chest through the back at the center of my chest and a "burping" of a very dislikeable taste in my mouth....have no clue.....my "history" pre-LC eating was that I had to add in TONS of HCI with anything I ate in order to be able to digest it. I'm wondering if it was too much CO or fats for me??? Any thoughts? Thanks all. Have a super weekend!
Glad you are feeling so much better!

lol I was gonna yell at you too.

Hooray! on the loss!!!

Good tip on the bacon

Yeah, I am almost out of the last thing of salt I bought so I'll probably move over to the other kind too. That is a great idea about getting an idea of how little salt you actually use in a day!

Could be related to the cold you've been fighting. Keep an eye on it. Vinegar is a miracle product although I've never used it for heartburn. If I didn't use an OTC I'd use baking soda and a little water. Works very well.

It could be the uptick in fats that causes it since your body keeps fighting with us over ketosis. But you were fairly high fat before the cold and higher fat with the cold. I'm curious to see how it goes once the cold is totally gone.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #1032
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh! I had never heard about the glucose in salt so I googled it. It is used as a stabilizer for the anti-caking agent.

Apparently it is a very small amount - 0.04% so probably not an issue for most people.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #1033
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
ok so im going to make a seafood soup/bisque tonight for dinner.
hubby bought some salmon, shrimp, shark, and catfish for the soup
and if he can get any more deals lol.

we are going to cook the veggies in butter first (prob about a stick)
and when its almost done I plan on adding some hwc to make it creamy yum..
any other ideas on how to add fat to this meal im making??
Old 10-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #1034
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
ok so im going to make a seafood soup/bisque tonight for dinner.
hubby bought some salmon, shrimp, shark, and catfish for the soup
and if he can get any more deals lol.

we are going to cook the veggies in butter first (prob about a stick)
and when its almost done I plan on adding some hwc to make it creamy yum..
Maybe add bacon to the veggies?
Old 10-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #1035
Blabbermouth!!!

Food Log

Log and numbers for today.

Calories: 1709

Fat: 150
Pro: 72
Car: 25

77/17/5

Breakfast: CO & coffee, second thermos with HWC.
Lunch: Bacon, broccoli, jalapenos.
Snack: HWC float.
Dinner: Shirmp, broccoli, jalapenos.
Snack: HWC float.
End of Day: T of CO.

I did end up pushing calories up a bit but really that is more from adding HWC to my second thermos of coffee. Without it I'd have been right at 1500 for the day.

Dinner was an awesome combo of shrimp, jalapenos and broccoli sauteed with a little bacon grease and just salt and pepper for seasoning. Very tasty!

Today I put 1t of salt in both lunch and dinner so I got my 5 grams of sodium in. Wow, that is a lot of salt. There is no way I was even coming close to that amount before. I just did a quick check of the diet sodas and they all seem to be low sodium, really low. I wonder how all this extra salt will play out with the scale in the morning? I did get dinner eaten by about 2pm today so it is a long, long stretch to the morning weigh-in. I left one HWC float and the end of day CO for late afternoon early evening. It will be interesting to see if I get hungry later having eaten dinner so early in the day.
Attached Images
File Type: png graph_10132012.png (19.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg log_10132012.jpg (31.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #1036
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jillybean720
Stats: 324/193/150
WOE: LC/HF
Thanks for the welcomes, everyone! Just read on another forum someone who didn't know what else to do to lose weight. After all, she isn't eating any sugar. I'm frustrated at how the media and even medical profession has everyone convinced that carbs are good as long as they're whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc.

How do your families eat? My husband eats whatever when I'm not with him, but we don't keep carbs in the house, and he eats what I make for dinners (meats and non-starchy veggies, basically). My son is JUST starting to eat solids, as he's about 6.5 months old. So far, he's had (and enjoyed!) avocado, green beans, and baby spinach. Everyone seems so shocked that I'm not giving him cereals/grains since that's usually what people start with. I hope to never feed him those, nor do I want to introduce sweet fruits until much later. I'll introduce meats before we even do fruits. I know once he's older, he'll be eating at friends' houses and whatnot, so junk is practically inevitable in our society, but I want to get him started on the right track. It will be a fine line between letting him be a "normal" kid food-wise and unintentionally teaching him to obsess over the carbs in his food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry
I'm not much of a seafood person, so I don't know if it would really work, but I personally think cheese makes almost everything better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Just avoid those items as much as possible at least for the short term - especially fruits. Make sure you are supplementing with vitamins and minerals.
Fruits aren't normally an issue for me, but my whole family went apple picking last weekend, so I've been having a large apple every day this week (I think I even had 2 one day). And my cravings for junk this week have been higher than normal...gosh, I wonder why that might be?

I also made a big pot of homemade tomato soup last week and had some every day. I made it using organic crushed tomatoes, hwc, butter, sour cream, and seasonings, and I add shredded cheddar on top when I heat it up. When I sat down and did the math, though, it came up to about 15g carbs per serving. My own fault for not doing the math first. I usually hate tomatoes, so I don't eat them normally and didn't think about it much. Lesson learned! (though, honestly, I knew I should have checked but was just in denial because I REALLY wanted some tomato soup when the colder weather rolled in!)

As for vitamins and minerals, I have to take them daily since I've had weight loss surgery. I currently take the following split into 4 doses throughout the day:
  • 2 multivitamins
  • calcium citrate (1800mg elemental - 600mg 3 times throughout the day)
  • vitamin C (1000mg)
  • vitamin D3 (50,000 IUs)
  • vitamin A (palmitate - 20,000 IUs every other day)
  • iron (taken at least 2-3 hours away from calcium and multis)
  • probiotics
  • chelated zinc (100mg)
  • hair/nails/skin combo (includes biotin and vit E, among other things)
  • sublingual B12 most days (when I remember...)
I know some of those dosages are high, but that's due to my altered insides. I also have extensive annual labs run to check my vitamin/mineral levels. Just had my most recent draw in early September. Only red flag was calcium (well, calcium is actually fine, but PTH was elevated despite high D3, meaning my body is stealing calcium from my bones to keep my blood calcium level normal).
Weight goals currently on hold due to pregnancy...baby #2 coming late October/early November 2013!

Pre-pregnancy #2 weight: 193 (the day I found out I was pregnant)
Old 10-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #1037
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Hi all back from trip had a great day but tired, we ate at Cracker Barrel ,I had a low carb meal has they have them on menu.HB with bacon,lettuce and tomo.some greens but they taste sweet so I did not eat them,had a egg and bacon for breakfast ,but # were not good.

Cals=1102
70/27/3 way to much protein??Not enough fat?
Old 10-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #1038
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Hi all back from trip had a great day but tired, we ate at Cracker Barrel ,I had a low carb meal has they have them on menu.HB with bacon,lettuce and tomo.some greens but they taste sweet so I did not eat them,had a egg and bacon for breakfast ,but # were not good.

Cals=1102
70/27/3 way to much protein??Not enough fat?
Calories are a bit low of course but your numbers look fine. If your protein pushes up into the 30s that is not very good because it starts to get out of NK range. Yeah, that is pretty cool that CB is LC friendly. I had a bunless burger there several months ago. Glad you had a good trip
Old 10-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #1039
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks for the welcomes, everyone!

Yep, the mainstream nutrition meme is awful for anyone with a weight challenge.

Bachelor so mostly I cook for myself.

That is so awesome that your son is getting the best start on life possible. You know he may never develop the taste for most fruits which will be a wonderful lifelong gift to him. Today's fruit are nothing more than sugar bombs with few exceptions. Some berry type fruits are the most LC friendly though.

Yeah, you have to go easy on tomatoes for sure. I sometimes have one sliced up but not usually more than 6oz or so.

Wow! That is some high dose supplements! I bet you add magnesium to the list after you listen to Dr. Robbins
Old 10-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #1040
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi gang, been gone since I got up this morning, haven't even been able to log my food yet, although I have just had my coffee/CO, my fish oil, a hardboiled egg with 2 T mayo.

Is anyone else having trouble with LCF's running really really slow? I am having the same problem with my nutrition program but those are the only 2? I have unplugged and replugged in my modem to reboot, did a lot of checking of other settings, etc. and to be honest, all other things I do on the internet are working smoothly, it is just these 2 sites. Very annoying as these are the 2 sites I use the most.

I see we have some new homework from vaious ones of you, some things to look up and study.

Interesting on the salt, I need to quit using the iodized table salt, I have sea salt in the cupboard, need to break it out and just use up my other salt when I boil eggs, makes them easier to peel BTW. I also am probably not getting enough salt although I sure salt a lot more than I was. Will measure it out tomorrow.

Went to Sam's club this afternoon and bought some frozen cooked shrimp, think I will fry up some of my bacon pieces, then add the shrimp after I pour off some of the grease. Tomorrow, having tilapia today.

Red, I think your calories look better today, for a growing boy!! The danger of getting them too low, besides starving, , is that your body could get used to that and do you really want to eat that low of calories forever? I want to eat as high of calories as I can, and still be able to lose. Easier to maintain long term me thinks.

I believe in supplements, take Vit D3 and potassium per Dr. orders, blood tests showed I was low on those 2. Then, I take a lot of fish oil, milk thistle for liver as I am on meds that can harm the liver, probotics, melatonin or valerian root, biotin, hmmm, I think thats all. I hope to get off of some of my meds if I continue with this WOE.

Oh yes, vinegar is great for acid reflux and hiccups! I used to have gerd really really bad when my weight was at it's highest. I remember being in a hotel one night, waking up at 3:00 am and it was so bad I could hardly stand it. I had already taken my nexium and zantac. I called the hotel lobbey and begged them to go into the kitchen, which was closed and to please get me some vinegar. Thankfully, they did so. Now, I carry a small listerine glass bottle filled with Bragg's vinegar with me when I travel. And, I keep a big jar of it under the bathroom sink. Great stuff. The beauty of the vinegar is that it works instantly on acid reflux.

I have felt better today, still very tired but feeling a little better. Not sure what ails me but I am sure it will pass soon.

Last edited by Buffy45; 10-13-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Old 10-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #1041
Big Yapper!!!!

Someone asked me today how much weight I had lost, I said only about 12 lbs. She said, wow, I would have said 20. The power of LC.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #1042
Blabbermouth!!!

I got to wondering about sodium content of sea salt versus table salt. It appears to be the same unless you specifically buy a low sodium version.

From eHow

Quote:
Sea salt is often marketed as the better choice in salts, providing less sodium, but this is not the case. When measured by weight, sea salt and table salt usually contain about the same amount of sodium chloride. This means that as long as you are using the proper amount of salt, you'll get neither too little nor too much sodium from either table salt or sea salt.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #1043
Blabbermouth!!!

Vinegar is good for muscle cramps too. I swig pickle juice sometimes for that. Works instantly usually and tasty if you like pickle juice heh.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #1044
Big Yapper!!!!

All this talk about salt reminds me. About 1 year ago, my oldest DD who just devours books, all kinds, all subject matter, read "The History of Salt". Not a book I would have picked but she swears it was a very interesting read.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #1045
Blabbermouth!!!

That is what I had Buffy. The frozen cooked deshelled shrimp from Sam's sauteed in bacon grease with broccoli and jalapenos. So tasty!

I might have overdone the jalapenos today
Old 10-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #1046
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Vinegar is good for muscle cramps too. I swig pickle juice sometimes for that. Works instantly usually and tasty if you like pickle juice heh.
Hey, right. I had forgotten that. Will add that before bedtime tonight.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #1047
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
All this talk about salt reminds me. About 1 year ago, my oldest DD who just devours books, all kinds, all subject matter, read "The History of Salt". Not a book I would have picked but she swears it was a very interesting read.
Was it this one?

Salt: A World History [Hardcover]
Mark Kurlansky

It looks interesting.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #1048
Big Yapper!!!!

Not sure Red, we just all had a great time making fun of her, kind of how our family rolls!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #1049
Blabbermouth!!!

Sooooooo. I'm guessing that mentioning a great book about the family that built the Winn-Dixie grocery store chain would be open to gross ridicule around there huh.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #1050
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh no, never, well, maybe, perhaps, Oh H#)) yes!
Closed Thread