Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #871
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajlane View Post
Hi Diana, welcome to the thread!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 05:47 AM   #872
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
My numbers for today were calories 1702, fat 79%, pro 14% and carb 7%. I did fine out at dinner, had a small grilled chicken breast but at least a cup of sauteed summer squash/onions and water to drink. But, something seemed to set me off, I got home and all I could think about was getting something to eat, so I added a piece of pumpkin bake which I had not allowed for. But, am really full now so at least I kept it LC in what I ate when I came home.

Really tired again tonight, hope I get my energy back up soon.
Dining out is so fraught with danger from hidden carbs. I like that card that Kerry posted in the Lobby. I usually tell them I have food allergies can can't have any wheat or gluten but that won't stop other carb sources.

But it isn't a bad problem, as far as LC goes, unless you have to eat out a lot at a lot of different places
Old 10-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #873
Blabbermouth!!!

Shelley, this post by Trillex is very interesting and may have some bearing on your BG readings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Fasting blood glucose levels that are higher than levels that occur later in the day are actually quite common. It's called the "dawn effect." You can find more information on it if you google: "blood glucose" and "dawn effect" or "blood glucose" and "dawn phenomenon."

The dawn effect is caused by the early AM release of stress hormones: some combination of cortisol, glucagon, and epinepherine. This doesn't mean you're suffering from *stress*, it's just evolution's way of giving your body a burst of energy to rise and hunt food for the day. Some bodies have this tendency and some don't. Some people's blood glucose can rise into the clinical pre-diabetic or even diabetic range. Eating something -- even foods that don't spur a substantial release of insulin -- will counteract the release of these hormones and will usually bring blood glucose levels down.

People who test their blood after exercise will also often find higher blood glucose levels than before they've exercised, because of the stress hormones that are released in response to the workout.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #874
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Good Morning all. Took break from work to check in.

Buffy - I have to ask the waitperson to check the posted ingredients list (which by law must be in the kitchen) as I have had allergic reactions from hidden foods. Once I ordered grilled chicken only to find my throat swelling/thick tongue after 20 min, asked them what was on the chicken---it came pre-packaged (!!! fresh my rear) in a marinade of brown sugar, soy sauce, HFCS, etc....! soy and corn, but why the sugar too? So regardless how innocent it looks I have to ask, beats having to use that darn epi-pen!

Kerry, good numbers! congrats!

Shelly, glad you are getting better, colds can just wipe us out.

Red - keep smiling, maintaining is half the battle eh? And your post on insulin response is dead on. Also if we drink alcohol and have disturbed sleep, it's due to the insulin kicking in to process the alcohol at 3-4am, it's on an internal "timer"....I have to watch and drink anything early in the evening if I don't want my day starting at 3am!

I've been off in my eating the past two days, but the scales are staying the same, I guess that's good. Stress is very high at work, very long days, and when that happens I don't eat. So my calories are very very low. Eating fat, I can drink it! Going to try to pay more attention and eat more, don't want weight to go up. It's odd it happens, but the body will sense I am starving it!

Have a great day! Time to get back to work.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #875
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
I've been off in my eating the past two days, but the scales are staying the same, I guess that's good. Stress is very high at work, very long days, and when that happens I don't eat. So my calories are very very low. Eating fat, I can drink it! Going to try to pay more attention and eat more, don't want weight to go up. It's odd it happens, but the body will sense I am starving it!
I'm not well read on the subject but I know stress and cortisol go hand in hand and that makes losing weight very difficult. So maintaining under high stress situations is a big win in my opinion.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #876
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Weigh-in this morning ... ... 189.9!!

Same as yesterday and you may rightly wonder about the exclamation marks - my pattern for the last year, until NK mostly, was to zap a new low on the scale, then bounce, then take a couple of days to get back to the new low, then another day or two to get lower. So.. Win! heh
Big Win!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #877
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
Yay this morning i'm at 151.8 yay
Woo hoo!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #878
Blabbermouth!!!

I went to bed last night with some trepidation since I'd updated my profile to 189 heh
Old 10-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #879
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dianajlane
WOE: new to HFLC, but long-time LC-er
Start Date: 10/1/2012
Question re alcohol...

Morning Everyone,

Quote:
Hello Diana..welcome to the thread
Thanks for the welcome, Zay!

I have a question re alcohol. I'm swearing off until maintenance, but my DH wants to know if carbless alcoholic beverages (e.g., vodka and diet Hansens) inhibit ketosis. Does anyone know?

Thanks, Dianaj
Old 10-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #880
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Red and Kerry you are both melting away

I did fine and on my plan yesterday until about 4 in the afternoon when I just went crazy. My planned omelet for dinner turned into 8 cream cheese clouds. At least there's none left. Not content with that I then had 2 oz. of macadamia nuts. I only had two oz. cuz that's all there was. I wish I would stop shooting myself in the foot. At least I managed to ignore DH's ice cream and cookies.

Buffy, let us know how you enjoy that book.

to all the other losers and welcome Diana.

Pat
Old 10-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #881
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/161/130
WOE: lchf/paleo/primal/keto
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Quote:
Morning Everyone,

I have a question re alcohol. I'm swearing off until maintenance, but my DH wants to know if carbless alcoholic beverages (e.g., vodka and diet Hansens) inhibit ketosis. Does anyone know?

Thanks, Dianaj
Yes it does, when you drink your body Burns alcohol before fat.. Your body always users the easiest form of energy first...,
Alcohol, sugar, carbs, fat
Old 10-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #882
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Yay this morning i'm at 151.8 yay

Quote:

Quote:

Same as yesterday and you may rightly wonder about the exclamation marks - my pattern for the last year, until NK mostly, was to zap a new low on the scale, then bounce, then take a couple of days to get back to the new low, then another day or two to get lower. So.. Win! heh
You are sooooo in the 180's
Old 10-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #883
Big Yapper!!!!

Am still bouncing, back over 198 this AM but not surprising after eating out and eating high calories last night, but, ketones still at 1.9 so at least whatever kind of threw me off last night did not knock me out of ketosis.

I don't eat out much so not a big concern.

I just have not felt "good" this week. Headaches come and go, some back pain, kind of like at first when I went through the kind of induction flu. Not sure if it is that or if I am fighting off something or our weather, heavy and overcast each day, think we have a slow moving front and that can cause me headaches. Anyway, I am getting up tired and going to bed tired. I ended up cancelling a couple of things today so that I can really take it easy.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #884
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patlaf View Post
I wish I would stop shooting myself in the foot. At least I managed to ignore DH's ice cream and cookies.
Pat
No worries Pat! And I wouldn't beat myself up over it either. If you end up calorie binging but keep it LC that is a big win in my opinion.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #885
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
WOE: low cal/low carb
haha I see you guys over on the NK thread...still don't get why there are different threads...not the same plan??
Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #886
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Morning Everyone,

Thanks, Dianaj
As Kerry said, the calories will matter and overindulging in alcohol *will* impact you indirectly because your body has to respond to clearing the toxin out. Alcohol triggers are also something to be aware of. Does having a drink mean grabbing the jar of carby peanuts?

The only way to know for sure is to give it a try and see how it affects you
Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #887
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patlaf View Post
Red and Kerry you are both melting away

I did fine and on my plan yesterday until about 4 in the afternoon when I just went crazy. My planned omelet for dinner turned into 8 cream cheese clouds. At least there's none left. Not content with that I then had 2 oz. of macadamia nuts. I only had two oz. cuz that's all there was. I wish I would stop shooting myself in the foot. At least I managed to ignore DH's ice cream and cookies.

Buffy, let us know how you enjoy that book.

to all the other losers and welcome Diana.

Pat
Think that most of us have that urge to binge occasionally, but much better controlled than when we were high carb. Some people have written about how they even miss their binges, it is so comfort associated.

I am enjoying the book, except all those fishy recipes, , I am not a big fish eater. But, a very good read and easy read for those that don't want to dig into all the hard core facts of the science behind it. I am not quite finished with it.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #888
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I just have not felt "good" this week. Headaches come and go, some back pain, kind of like at first when I went through the kind of induction flu. Not sure if it is that or if I am fighting off something or our weather, heavy and overcast each day, think we have a slow moving front and that can cause me headaches. Anyway, I am getting up tired and going to bed tired. I ended up cancelling a couple of things today so that I can really take it easy.
You need to get ahead of the curve and start scowling at Mr. Buffy for giving you the bad cold that is going around.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #889
Big Yapper!!!!

Got my latest order from netrition yesterday and I had ordered Coconut Butter. Not sure what I was expecting but to me it tastes just like coconut oil? And, although it is just raw organic coconut, it lists 1 carb per 1 T. Live and learn.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #890
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zay View Post
haha I see you guys over on the NK thread...still don't get why there are different threads...not the same plan??
The end point is the same - nutritional ketosis.

But the implementation is very different. That thread approaches it by way of absolute protein grams (although they use ranges too) *and* carb grams. And they promote low calorie goals. And they do not endorse high fat.

This thread approaches it with a protein range and high fat with minimal carbs. So, the way we do it, get your protein in, then make up the rest of your calories in fat as much as possible. Eat as few carbs as possible. Know your calorie goals but low calorie is not the start point or even a goal, just something to look at after protein grams and macro %s.

Here: get your fat up.

There: get your calories down.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #891
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
WOE: low cal/low carb
Things are looking much more clearer! Thanks Red. It helps.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #892
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
You need to get ahead of the curve and start scowling at Mr. Buffy for giving you the bad cold that is going around.

Aha, good point even though he isn't sick. Always keep em guessing, "what did I do wrong"?, what have I don't wrong, what am I doing that is wrong?

Actually think I might have stumbled on to what is going on. Went and looked up several articles on low sodium and how it makes you feel. Pretty much like how I am feeling. I am going to the lab in a little while to get blood restested for the sodium so should hear from Dr. soon on where it is and what to do. Interesting fact was to not drink too much water when sodium is low, which makes sense, but of course I have been doing just that to help the leg cramps. Also, low sodium somewhat dangerous, especially in diabetics and older people, so I think I had better stay on this and figure it out.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #893
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Aha, good point even though he isn't sick. Always keep em guessing, "what did I do wrong"?, what have I don't wrong, what am I doing that is wrong?
That made me laugh! I am a huge Top Chef fan (the theme song is my ring tone, lol). Well right now Bravo is doing a show called Life After Top Chef. Sexy Italian chef Fabio made a statement that made my husband and I crack up. He said:

"If a man makes a statement to a woman that could be interpreted in two ways, the woman will always pick the way that will piss her off."
Old 10-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #894
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
That made me laugh! I am a huge Top Chef fan (the theme song is my ring tone, lol). Well right now Bravo is doing a show called Life After Top Chef. Sexy Italian chef Fabio made a statement that made my husband and I crack up. He said:

"If a man makes a statement to a woman that could be interpreted in two ways, the woman will always pick the way that will piss her off."
Isn't that the way it is supposed to work? Always keep the guy on his toes!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #895
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Good morning my fellow fat gobblers!
Oh I love this comment!!! Cute!!!! Fat gobblers....will have to remember that around Thanksgiving!

Congrats on the loss...you are doing great!!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #896
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Excellent!!!!!

I'm with you on the new lows....my "deal" is that I have to stay at the low for 3 days before it counts.....but I'm usually one to bounce back up too, but if I go back down, then I'm thrilled. Same theory, so HOORAY!!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #897
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Shelley, this post by Trillex is very interesting and may have some bearing on your BG readings.
Wow...interesting info! I"ll have to test before lunch or before dinner to see what effect that will have. I know that I did a 1.5 hour post prandial testing requested by drjlocarb once and it was in the low 90's as I recall. Maybe that's me...a "dawner"...ha ha

I didn't test this morning. Just couldn't bring myself to do it and get another 120 reading! Maybe I'll test a few hours after I eat instead...I will post my results.....good idea, and thanks for the post!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #898
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm not well read on the subject but I know stress and cortisol go hand in hand and that makes losing weight very difficult. So maintaining under high stress situations is a big win in my opinion.

I second that Southerngirl! Maintaining and not gaining is doing a great job under such stressors......but just don't starve yourself!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #899
Senior LCF Member

Buffy, hope you are not getting what I've had since Saturday...sounds very similar. But I did sleep last night (hubby went hunting and gave me a "noise free" sleeping environment) for 8 solid hours. Wonderful!

Scale was not nice to me...bumped up .8# and I had 1210 calories yesterday (81/16/3 macros), so Hopefully I'll bounce back down tomorrow. Maybe I need to have another 1950 calorie day with nearly 200 grams of fat!!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #900
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex
Fasting blood glucose levels that are higher than levels that occur later in the day are actually quite common. It's called the "dawn effect." You can find more information on it if you google: "blood glucose" and "dawn effect" or "blood glucose" and "dawn phenomenon."

The dawn effect is caused by the early AM release of stress hormones: some combination of cortisol, glucagon, and epinepherine. This doesn't mean you're suffering from *stress*, it's just evolution's way of giving your body a burst of energy to rise and hunt food for the day. Some bodies have this tendency and some don't. Some people's blood glucose can rise into the clinical pre-diabetic or even diabetic range. Eating something -- even foods that don't spur a substantial release of insulin -- will counteract the release of these hormones and will usually bring blood glucose levels down.

People who test their blood after exercise will also often find higher blood glucose levels than before they've exercised, because of the stress hormones that are released in response to the workout.

This is for diabetics. "Normal" people should not have a dawn effect if your pancreas is doing it's job.
I went off LC for 3 days and tested. My morning b/g was in the 80's and NEVER did I get a high reading(over 95) even after a bread/corn chips/ice cream "meal".

I think a high fasting b/g when low carbing means I am NOT in NK. It means my body is gluconeogenic and not ketogenic during the night.
Closed Thread