Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Thanks say,you up early!!weight same this morning,that's ok made that 1.5 goal for week

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2012, 04:36 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Question??do you think co raises cholesterol ?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:22 AM   #63
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeads View Post
Hi!

Major lurker here ... could you tell me if there is a "good" mayo that can be purchased ready made. I have been eating the store mayo with soybean oil, UTOH!! I love mayo, but am not much into making my own .Thank you !
Hi ebeads

I may give home made mayo a spin but I've been a lifelong mayo disliker so taste-wise I don't know good or bad. Oil-wise this one looks good - google 'HAIN pure foods canola oil mayonnaise'. Looks good as far as minimal PUFAs go and gets good reviews for taste.

Maybe some other people will chime in?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Does anyone make home made mayo the old fashioned way with a whisk? I was looking at youtube videos and it looks pretty straight forward.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #65
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Question??do you think co raises cholesterol ?
I'm not sure but I'd guess yes. Eating LC in general raises cholesterol - that is why it is important to have the more informative test done that reveals the actual bad number instead of the calculated number that looks bad but isn't.

Let me google around and I'll make a post for this subject.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #66
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
WOE: low cal/low carb
Yes, it should raise cholesterol. If I recall Darin, it has something to do with testing the particle size as well. I heard that on the Jimmy Moore show. Sorry, thats all I know about that.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #67
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zay View Post
Yes, it should raise cholesterol. If I recall Darin, it has something to do with testing the particle size as well. I heard that on the Jimmy Moore show. Sorry, thats all I know about that.
lol !! I was just reading a blog post by Dr. Eades about this subject, like right this minute, and I was thinking about a Moore podcast wondering which one it was where they talked specifically about that test. Weird no?

I don't have very many downloaded yet and I know it was in one of the ones I DL'd.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #68
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry, don't remember either. But it does have to do with particle size as to whether it sticks or not to the artery wall??? Not much help...
If you find it please post. We should all be very curious about this and be on top of this with our own health.

I am a student, in my late 40's. I spent the entire day yesterday working on an essay for one of my classes (due today). I save periodically though out the day. So, because I'm on this little Mac Air and I'm getting old and should break down and get some glasses...I highlighted everything and increased the font size. Well, I hit the space bar and deleted the whole thing. No problem right? I have it saved. Well I go to Open File and my computer asks me if I want to save my document - yes of course right? I saved it. I saved a blank document and had nothing else. I panicked and exited by clicking buttons. So I then lost my option to undo. I had tears last night. So now I'm back at it this morning. I will probably have to tell my professor and turn it in late. thats my sad story.

I hope this is a better day for all! Have a good one!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #69
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Sorry, don't remember either. But it does have to do with particle size as to whether it sticks or not to the artery wall??? Not much help...
If you find it please post. We should all be very curious about this and be on top of this with our own health.

I am a student, in my late 40's. I spent the entire day yesterday working on an essay for one of my classes (due today). I save periodically though out the day. So, because I'm on this little Mac Air and I'm getting old and should break down and get some glasses...I highlighted everything and increased the font size. Well, I hit the space bar and deleted the whole thing. No problem right? I have it saved. Well I go to Open File and my computer asks me if I want to save my document - yes of course right? I saved it. I saved a blank document and had nothing else. I panicked and exited by clicking buttons. So I then lost my option to undo. I had tears last night. So now I'm back at it this morning. I will probably have to tell my professor and turn it in late. thats my sad story.

Here. Let me just say it for you.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!! !!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! !!
[missing gut-wrenching despair icon]

That is one of them stories that gives everyone serious empathy cringes.

What word processor program are you using? The one I use (Libre Office) has a feature for automatic backups every time you save the document. There is a Mac version for it and it is totally free.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #70
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:

Oh Zay, now that is gut wrenching for sure!!! Wow, I hate when I type out a nice post on here and hit the wrong button and lose it, to lose some of your work is extra terrible!!! Sorry that happened!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

weigh-in 10022012

Weigh-in this morning ... 193.9

So, a little bounce there but still in the 193s. Gonna update my profile here in a second.

I have to say, I was pretty excited about getting on the scale and seeing the 192 mark smashed heh Oh well. There's always tomorree.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #72
Big Yapper!!!!

Well, I got on the scale this morning, was really prepared to weigh this morning and again tomorrow and use whichever number was lowest for this weeks weight but lo and behold, out of the depth of the scale window, a magical number appeared, 198.2, my lowest weight since started on my NK journey!!! Man was I happy. And, the morning after a trip, where I had flown, and not being able to track my food!!! For breakfast each day I had some type of eggs/meat/cheese. Woudd make sure they did not add anything to the eggs, like Ihop does, such as pancake batter, etc. Other meals were either salad/meat type foods with vinegarette/blue cheese type dressing, or cheeseburgers with extra mayo. And, my reward each night of part of my chocolove dark chocolate/almond/sea salt bar. No alcohol. Lots and lots of water. I am pretty sure I ate way more protein than we usually eat but wanted to make sure I kept full so I wasn't tempted so probably ate more calories than normal as well. I had taken along some CO to put in my coffee each morning but didn't take enough so probably had a teaspoon of that each AM. I am so happy this morning!

So, I updated my siggy.

Red, I am going to look into that Hain mayo. I have made my own, it is very easy to make, I use a stick blender but I just haven't found one I like. But, we went into an Olive Oil and vinegar store in Santa Fe and I sampled several of the oils and one I loved was roasted butternut squash flavored oil, I even bought it but then realized I wasn't checking baggage and couldn't fly home with it so gave it to my sister who was driving. We have an olive store near by that I am going to visit and get their recommendations on which olive oil might make a very good mayo.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #73
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the sympathy Darin and Buffy...I appreciate it. My 21 year old son was patting me on the back last night while I was sobbing because he felt so bad for me. I have to laugh at it all now.
Not so bad today. I remember it as I was reading over and over yesterday.
I'm using Microsoft Word.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #74
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Well, I got on the scale this morning, was really prepared to weigh this morning and again tomorrow and use whichever number was lowest for this weeks weight but lo and behold, out of the depth of the scale window, a magical number appeared, 198.2, my lowest weight since started on my NK journey!!! Man was I happy. And, the morning after a trip, where I had flown, and not being able to track my food!!! For breakfast each day I had some type of eggs/meat/cheese. Woudd make sure they did not add anything to the eggs, like Ihop does, such as pancake batter, etc. Other meals were either salad/meat type foods with vinegarette/blue cheese type dressing, or cheeseburgers with extra mayo. And, my reward each night of part of my chocolove dark chocolate/almond/sea salt bar. No alcohol. Lots and lots of water. I am pretty sure I ate way more protein than we usually eat but wanted to make sure I kept full so I wasn't tempted so probably ate more calories than normal as well. I had taken along some CO to put in my coffee each morning but didn't take enough so probably had a teaspoon of that each AM. I am so happy this morning!

So, I updated my siggy.

Red, I am going to look into that Hain mayo. I have made my own, it is very easy to make, I use a stick blender but I just haven't found one I like. But, we went into an Olive Oil and vinegar store in Santa Fe and I sampled several of the oils and one I loved was roasted butternut squash flavored oil, I even bought it but then realized I wasn't checking baggage and couldn't fly home with it so gave it to my sister who was driving. We have an olive store near by that I am going to visit and get their recommendations on which olive oil might make a very good mayo.

That is so awesome Buffy!! I can't think of a better reward for staying on plan than to get back and get a bear hug from the scale

Hmmm. That sounds pretty tasty even to me heh. Did you call the state troopers for a high speed police e*scort so your sister could meet you at the airport?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks for the sympathy Darin and Buffy...I appreciate it. My 21 year old son was patting me on the back last night while I was sobbing because he felt so bad for me. I have to laugh at it all now.
Not so bad today. I remember it as I was reading over and over yesterday.
I'm using Microsoft Word.
Zay do these links help? I googled 'MS Word automatic backup' and they are the first 3 hits but they look really good from my quick read through of them.

In Microsoft Word, how can I use the AutoRecover feature to restore a document? - Knowledge Base

Save and recover a backup copy of a document - Word - Office.com

Automatic Backing Up of Microsoft Word & Other Documents
Old 10-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #76
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Well, I got on the scale this morning, was really prepared to weigh this morning and again tomorrow and use whichever number was lowest for this weeks weight but lo and behold, out of the depth of the scale window, a magical number appeared, 198.2, my lowest weight since started on my NK journey!!!
[edit wups posted the same thing twice accidentally ]

Last edited by reddarin; 10-02-2012 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Oops duplicated myself :)
Old 10-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #77
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Red, you have been such a part of this past month's journey, I am learning from you, enjoying your humor and the support you give all of us in our little corner over here!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #78
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm still looking for the specific name of the cholesteral test you need done but these 4 articles look promising Buffy.

Google 'drmike/statins/646/' and it should be the first hit.

Google 'drmike/cardiovascular-disease/you-bet-your-life-an-epilogue-to-the-cholesterol-story/' and it should be the first hit. This one has an interesting comment posted:

Quote:
My son called and told me his doctor wanted him to lower his LDL with a low fat diet or go on a statin. I told him to cut back on bread, pasta, rice, etc and eat plenty of saturated fat. He said, “Mom, let me get this straight. Are you telling me to do the exact opposite of what the doctor said?” I said, “Yes, I am.”
Since his triglycerides were well under 100, I also told him to google for the Iranian formula. After he read the paper, he asked his doctor for a direct LDL and it was about 15 points lower than the calculated number, so no diet at all.
Google 'drmike/statins/statin-panic/' and it should be the first hit.

Google 'drmike/cardiovascular-disease/cholesterol-and-heart-disease-no-correlation/' and it should be the first hit.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #79
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks Red, you have been such a part of this past month's journey, I am learning from you, enjoying your humor and the support you give all of us in our little corner over here!
Aw shucks
Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #80
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for the links Red, will have my homework for today

After remembering what I did last night, the fact that I had cut way back on the fish oil I was taking, my first line of attack is to increase that back to the doses I was taking when I lowered my cholesterol the last time they wanted me on statins. I am confident that will do the job. On the test, my triglcerides were the lowest they have been in years, 74. My total chol was 212 which isn't all that high as I pointed out, but the nurse said that it was for a diabetic. My HDL was up but so was my LDL. I really am confident in the fish oil. I might ask for the fluffy test though as well next time.

My diabetes results were fabulous but I am on meds for that, which I have decreased though.

My sodium was too low, which resulted in lowering the dose of my BP med Diovan/HCT, they lowered the HCT part which is a diuretic which makes sense and my chloride was too low, will research that. My potassium had been too low in May so they put me on a generic for that which is working well and results since being on that puts me at normal.

All in all, I was happy with the results, was a little surprised at thier reaction to the cholesterol but being a diabetic I guess is what set off the alarms.

I can't wait for my blood tests in 3 months after being on NK for 4 months at that point. I hope they are amazing.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks for the links Red, will have my homework for today

After remembering what I did last night, the fact that I had cut way back on the fish oil I was taking, my first line of attack is to increase that back to the doses I was taking when I lowered my cholesterol the last time they wanted me on statins. I am confident that will do the job. On the test, my triglcerides were the lowest they have been in years, 74. My total chol was 212 which isn't all that high as I pointed out, but the nurse said that it was for a diabetic. My HDL was up but so was my LDL. I really am confident in the fish oil. I might ask for the fluffy test though as well next time.

My diabetes results were fabulous but I am on meds for that, which I have decreased though.

My sodium was too low, which resulted in lowering the dose of my BP med Diovan/HCT, they lowered the HCT part which is a diuretic which makes sense and my chloride was too low, will research that. My potassium had been too low in May so they put me on a generic for that which is working well and results since being on that puts me at normal.

All in all, I was happy with the results, was a little surprised at thier reaction to the cholesterol but being a diabetic I guess is what set off the alarms.

I can't wait for my blood tests in 3 months after being on NK for 4 months at that point. I hope they are amazing.
I'm not well read on how to interpret test results through the lens of LC but that all sounds good. And the fluffy test is a must. There is an excellent chance your doctor is unaware of it and will endorse it completely once he reads up on it.

I was surprised, though, at the statins recommendation from them since they were happy with your choice of LC for health. I would have thought that they would be more familiar with the controversy over the use of statins coming from the doctors on the LC side of things.

I'm eager to hear about the next test results too heh
Old 10-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #82
Blabbermouth!!!

All right! I have an announcement that everyone has been breathlessly waiting for! Although there was great pressure via 10s of zero PMs about sleepless nights while awaiting my decision I've held off until I was sure.

Levi's.

I definitely like the way they wear better than Wranglers.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #83
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
All right! I have an announcement that everyone has been breathlessly waiting for! Although there was great pressure via 10s of zero PMs about sleepless nights while awaiting my decision I've held off until I was sure.

Levi's.

I definitely like the way they wear better than Wranglers.

Heartily approve, I have always been a fan of good old Levi's, I mean, they set the gold standard for blue jeans! All the cool guys in high school wore Levi's!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #84
Blabbermouth!!!

Buffy, here is another excellent post about statins from Dr. Eades. Google 'drmike/statins/statins-and-diabetes/'.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #85
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Heartily approve, I have always been a fan of good old Levi's, I mean, they set the gold standard for blue jeans! All the cool guys in high school wore Levi's!!!
=)

I thought I'd post a teaser about my upcoming press conference regarding my recent promotion to Major here at LCF. As most people know, Officer ranks are Congressional Appointments so it is sort of a big deal.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #86
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

CONGRATS DARIN on your promotion! You have so much to look forward to. Notice, I'm Gabby and Buffy is Blabbermouth! We have been here over 10 years. Thats amazing.

Hahaha...thanks for the laugh...it helps
Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #87
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, I think Buffy has more homework than I do! I'm not asking you any more questions Darin!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #88
Blabbermouth!!!

heh
Old 10-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #89
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Darin, I'm almost finished with my essay and was able to reschedule my one on one conference with the Prof. I will still check out those links. Thanks for looking out for me!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #90
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Darin, I'm almost finished with my essay and was able to reschedule my one on one conference with the Prof. I will still check out those links. Thanks for looking out for me!
You bet! I have personally experienced that particular agony many times =)
Closed Thread