Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #811
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
They may have changed their sweetener also, it has been several years since I tried it.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #812
Big Yapper!!!!

Just got an email from DD, who is rushing from one meeting at work to another, she said to tell you Red, Congrats on getting into the 180's and thanks for all your help. I tell her that we talk about her all the time
Old 10-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #813
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Just got an email from DD, who is rushing from one meeting at work to another, she said to tell you Red, Congrats on getting into the 180's and thanks for all your help. I tell her that we talk about her all the time
Awww shucks

heh Thank you DD
Old 10-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #814
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Good afternoon everyone! I've been MIA with the rotten cold...had me "down" all day/night, but feeling better today so I'm back.

First....great news on the losses and the BEST news is our illustrious leaders voyage into the 180's on the scale! Woo hoo big time...I wish I could jump up and down for joy, but you know I'm thinking it! Congratulations. And, just so you know, I have been told by personal trainers that the belly fat is teh last to go, and what helps that is "lifting weights", but they don't need to be heavy weights...even 5# weights are great to do various "arm exercises"....I did that 2 years ago and did lose the belly, but I did it with heavy (for me) weights. Wanted to get back to that this week, but the cold stopped me "cold"! (sorry for the pun).

My update is that this cold has not at all stopped my desire to have my regular foods. I even had 1669 calories on Monday, but kept the macros at 84% fat, 11 protein and 5 carbs. Yesterday I was more reasonable with 1474 calories, still 84% fat, 12% protein and 4% carb.

So....on Monday (got the cold Sat. afternoon) my ketones dumped down to .3. The only thing I can figure is that it is the cold! I did a bit of reading about diabetic and ketones and they say an 'illness" can drop ketones. So, until I feel at least 90%, I am not testing for them, but will continue with the eating program as it's easy for me. AND....my glucose readings have been going up up up.....120 and 125! So....I have a conclusion. Even though the cough drops I have been consuming are sugar free (sucralose), I have decided that I have to be super sensitive to all fake sugars. So, starting today, I'm going to give it all up and see what happens. No ezsweets in my tea, no more coffee (as I have to have flavors/sweets to get it down!), and hopefully I can exist today without my cough drops.

My weight is the same today as it was Monday and then I bounced up .4# and bounced right back down the .4# (yup, just like Buffy).

And the good/happy news for me is that my lowest weight of *this year) was .2# less than I am now, and I've been bouncing up and down TO this weight for a couple weeks. So, one more .2# loss and I'll tie my lowest weight of the year (2 days in January). But...remember that I was 15# lower last year! Phooey. I'll get there. I am determined.

I was going to write something else...can't remember what it is now...OH...I tried the unsalted butter and CO in my tea (chamomile) this AM and had to toss it out. Oh my. I just can't stand CO in my drinks! I'll stick with the MCT oil, even though Phinney/Volek do NOT recommend using it.

Have a super rest of the day everyone and congratulations on all the great losses.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #815
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Good afternoon everyone!
Thank you

...and ...

on the cold with

Great numbers though!

Boy that is one nasty cold! How is your husband? Has he been able to avoid it?
Old 10-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #816
Senior LCF Member

OH...something else. I have been noticing that Red/Major Darin consumes about 1550 calories a day. Hmm....when I did the calculations online for my minimum amount of calories to be consumed to lose 1# a week, it was that number! To maintain it was 1650 or so. So....I"m not thinking that the reason I'm not losing is that I should be much lower than his caloric intake as I'm not a man and not 6' tall!!!! So....how does one calculate the "real" number of calories for weightloss other than just continuing to lower, lower, lower until a loss happens? And not going below 1200 for "starvation"? But is the 1200 for men??? I know it's 1200 minimum, but now I"m wondering if that is accurate as how can that number be for all shapes, sizes, heights and male/females?!?!

Any thoughts on that one? Thanks!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #817
Blabbermouth!!!

By the way, if you never have tried those 'Cool' kleenex tissues they are pretty amazing. Dunno how they did it but they do feel cool to the touch especially with a raw nose.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #818
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Thank you

...and ...

on the cold with

Great numbers though!

Boy that is one nasty cold! How is your husband? Has he been able to avoid it?
Thanks..>I was happy with the weight as well, and deeelighted that this did not affect my appetite and eating. I'd love to not be hungry and lose 10# while "sick", but I'd rather be "healthy eating" and remain the same.

As far as hubby....well, he came home with this from somewhere 2 weeks ago, and I avoided it for a while...and then met with a friend to do some quilting and she had it as well....so between hubby and friend, their combined germs got to me!!! He's getting better and is off and doing what he wants as is my friend. I think they ganged up on me and gave me the worst of their germs! ha ha
Old 10-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #819
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
OH...something else. I have been noticing that Red/Major Darin consumes about 1550 calories a day. Hmm....when I did the calculations online for my minimum amount of calories to be consumed to lose 1# a week, it was that number! To maintain it was 1650 or so. So....I"m not thinking that the reason I'm not losing is that I should be much lower than his caloric intake as I'm not a man and not 6' tall!!!! So....how does one calculate the "real" number of calories for weightloss other than just continuing to lower, lower, lower until a loss happens? And not going below 1200 for "starvation"? But is the 1200 for men??? I know it's 1200 minimum, but now I"m wondering if that is accurate as how can that number be for all shapes, sizes, heights and male/females?!?!

Any thoughts on that one? Thanks!
Yes, 1500ish seems to be the sweet spot for me on calorie consumption. It is interesting too that generally speaking I'm not hungry very often at that level.

The SAD calculators fall down when your maintenance level is that low because usually they recommend about 500 calories less than maintenance to lose weight.

I'd probably shoot for somewhere in the 1400s for a while to see how it works Shelley.

But the answer is really just what you described. Do the target and decrease till you start losing.

The 1200 thing was a flat line that Phinney said without regard to age/sex/weight although I'm sure there are exceptions for special cases of stature or medical conditions.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #820
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
As far as hubby....well, he came home with this from somewhere 2 weeks ago, and I avoided it for a while...and then met with a friend to do some quilting and she had it as well
haha that was the story of my life till I quit wheat. If I came within 10 feet of a carrier I'd get zapped and be sick for a couple of weeks while the carrier was all better the next day.

You've done good with the weight too.

I thought the cold might have something to do with the low ketone measurements. I wonder, though, why ketones would be depressed in a keto-adapted person eating a lot of good fats? It seems counter-intuitive since they are your prime energy source and the body needs energy to fight the invaders.

Perhaps one mechanism is an insulin response to the infection? That would drive ketone production down woudn't it?
Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #821
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
WOE: low cal/low carb
Mmmmm....
Lady Grey (Earl Grey's wife), HWC and coconut oil - so good!

Accidentally used my tablespoon from my silverware to measure HWC - oops - its only 1/2 Tablespoon - gotta remember to use those measuring spoons

So happy for you Red! You are sooo clooose.

I just want to say that I feel so good and so positive about my health. It has so much to do with you Darin and Buffy too. Thanks for the encouragement and helping me with this. It is such a fine line to achieve this state. Just like your signature says...."study and attention to detail"

See you all later.

Last edited by zay; 10-10-2012 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: making sense of my post...haha
Old 10-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #822
Big Yapper!!!!

Shelley, so glad your cold is a little bit better, now hoping you improve greatly each day. I can get sick easily too and when I do, I am down for a week or more sometimes. Really knocks me out, DH just plows through it and keeps on going, not me, I am in bed.

It really is a lot of fine tuning to get this right I think and it isn't something we can rush through, the worst thing I can we could do it be changing or tweaking every week even, give something new 2-3 weeks, even though we are impatient, then tweak again. I keep rembering what Sten, the Swedish writer says in his book, "can take up to 6 months for our bodies to adapt". But, in the meantime, if we feel better and can see some inches lost, feel more healthy, then isn't it sure worth it as opposed to what some of us, me in particular, was doing before? Just digging my self in deeper to poor health.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #823
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zay View Post
Mmmmm....
Lady Grey (Earl Grey's wife),

I just want to say that I feel so good and so positive about my health. It has so much to do with you Darin and Buffy too. Thanks for the encouragement and helping me with this. It is such a fine line to achieve this state. Just like your signature says...."study and attention to detail"

See you all later.
Yay, that's what we want to hear. That is the way DD feels, so in control, she just feels so much better about herself. He scales are being very stubborn but if she can just hold on to that feel better feeling, I am confident the scales will more.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #824
Big Yapper!!!!

Finally remembering to have my chicken broth today, added 1 t of grass fed butter. As soon as it cools I will see how it tastes, it is boiling hot yet.

I need to look at different sources of broth, the kind I have is very tasty but 2 carbs per t. 1 of those is sugars, probably why it is so tasty. But, if it helps the cramps, I can do it. Even getting them in my hands at times. And the outside of my calf, ouch. Even licking a dash of salt off my hand now and then, I feel like an old cow at the salt block, if any of you grew up around cattle being raised, you will know what I mean. MOOOOOOOOO
Old 10-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #825
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Finally remembering to have my chicken broth today, added 1 t of grass fed butter. As soon as it cools I will see how it tastes, it is boiling hot yet.

I need to look at different sources of broth, the kind I have is very tasty but 2 carbs per t. 1 of those is sugars, probably why it is so tasty. But, if it helps the cramps, I can do it. Even getting them in my hands at times. And the outside of my calf, ouch. Even licking a dash of salt off my hand now and then, I feel like an old cow at the salt block, if any of you grew up around cattle being raised, you will know what I mean. MOOOOOOOOO
How much potassium are you supplementing with? I take at least 200mg and sometimes 300mg.

Dr. Eades post directly attributes what you are experiencing to dehydration so you probably need to push your pure water intake up a little more Buffy.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #826
Blabbermouth!!!

Too many tweaks in too short a time is a classic troubleshooting mistake. You never know if one of the several tweaks fixed the original problem while one of the other several tweaks broke it again.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #827
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Mmmmm....
Lady Grey (Earl Grey's wife), HWC and coconut oil - so good!

Accidentally used my tablespoon from my silverware to measure HWC - oops - its only 1/2 Tablespoon - gotta remember to use those measuring spoons

So happy for you Red! You are sooo clooose.

See you all later.

Attitude determines altitude - Zig Ziglar

Old 10-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #828
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow! I have been feeling really dragged out since yesterday. I think my body is trying to fight the cold germs in earnest.

Of course, I was just gloating to myself night before last about my immunity to this nasty cold that is going around
Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #829
Big Yapper!!!!

My endo prescribed potassium in May when my blood test came back showing I was low . The RX says: Potassium Chloride 10mEQ tablet extended release. Hmmm, if that is only 10 m that isn't very much but when they retested my blood, after 4 weeks on NK, it showed normal so I assumed I didn't need more. Might pick some up today and try taking a little more. Need to check side effect of too much before I do much tweaking on that.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #830
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
WOE: low cal/low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Wow! I have been feeling really dragged out since yesterday. I think my body is trying to fight the cold germs in earnest.

Of course, I was just gloating to myself night before last about my immunity to this nasty cold that is going around

Do you need some salt Red???
I hope you are not getting sick. My son has the flu or a really bad cold right now...congested head and chest, sore throat, aches, headache, poor kid.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #831
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
I am so excited, I got my Sten Skaldeman book, Lose Weight by eating Nordic Superfood, The Scandinavian Diet. Shipping kept saying it should arrive at the end of the month so was very happy to get it today. I have to work in my office this afternoon but I just can't wait to start reading it.
Just finished this one! I think you're going to love it.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #832
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
My endo prescribed potassium in May when my blood test came back showing I was low . The RX says: Potassium Chloride 10mEQ tablet extended release. Hmmm, if that is only 10 m that isn't very much but when they retested my blood, after 4 weeks on NK, it showed normal so I assumed I didn't need more. Might pick some up today and try taking a little more. Need to check side effect of too much before I do much tweaking on that.
Wups!! I forgot about your Rx. No ma'am, I wouldn't add more without running it by the doc.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #833
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Do you need some salt Red???
I hope you are not getting sick. My son has the flu or a really bad cold right now...congested head and chest, sore throat, aches, headache, poor kid.
I have been exposed to that nasty cold that is going around! Multiple exposures

I thought I had it beat and just wouldn't catch it and I may still avoid the full blown cold. Gonna hit the sack extra early tonight. In fact, I slept an extra hour this morning. I may do that in the morning too.

I salted up my lunch real good
Old 10-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #834
Blabbermouth!!!

Food Log

Log and numbers.

Calories: 1508

Fat: 123
Pro: 91
Car: 15

72/25/4

Breakfast: CO & coffee.
Lunch: Fish, jalapeño, bacon.
Snack: HWC float (big red zero mmm mmm)
Dinner: Chicken, cauliflower, jalapeño.
End of Day: T of CO.

Well, I wish I could have gotten my fat up a little more. I did have it a little higher as a % but I wanted to make up for the lowish protein yesterday. Loved the 1508 calories though.

I'm gonna tell you what! I sautéed the chicken, jalapeno and cauliflower in a little bit of bacon grease with a lot of salt and pepper. Wow! So tasty!
Attached Images
File Type: png graph_10102012.png (19.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg log_10102012.jpg (28.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #835
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BABYSTEPS
Stats: 240/181/180 male 5'8.5",wife 230/211/155
WOE: low carb/no wheat
Start Date: Jan 2012
82/15/3 I'm low on protein or is this good?
I'm so full and can't eat any more today.Love this plan!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #836
Senior LCF Member

OMG...I just cringe every time I read about the jalapeno's you eat! Hubby loves them too and I make the most horrible face just thinking of them! haha

Red.....you're going to find that you get the "cold" in a very very mild form if you are like me. I just took "yesterday off" to watch Hallmark TV movies (all happy endings and such) as did nothing else to let the body not have to walk, cook, do anything (other than dinner). Seems to have worked. Not one cough today, so no cough drops needed. Yippeee. Hope you have the same luck. I also have been exposed to stuff every whichway, and some people who exposed me have been SICK sick for 2 weeks! I haven't even blown my nose today!

I had to ask you guys if anyone watched the baseball playoffs between the REDS (Yup....right name for us, but not our team here...hubby is a SF Giants fan. Anyway, there was a player for Cincinnati Reds who "pulled up" with horrible calf cramps and they had to stop the game for the trainer to come out and "massage" his leg in the field. Made me laugh and yell at the TV....Take some Magnesium!!!!!. Then a couple innings later the Giants outfielder was at bad and wham...same thing...horrible cramp in his calf. He hit the ball after his "personal massage" and hobbled to 1st base...it was so sad. So, a player on each team with horrible calf cramps...don't these professionals and trainers know about minerals and such...they did say he was chugging a gatorade. Not enough in that for what he's dealing with. But he had bittie little bird legs! ha ha

Zay...you're doing great and I'm so glad you have joined in.....once you've been at this a few weeks, it will seem like there is absolutely no other way to eat and live. Glad you're enjoying it.

I'm only tweaking my calories down...so not to worry that I'm changing anything else. September I was pretty much 1300-1600 with a couple days in the 1200's. October so far has been 1300-1550 with one day 1945 (still makes me laugh at that high number with a big loss the next morning and a high ketone reading!) and one day around 1100. So, I'm going to aim now for 1200-1400 for the rest of the month and see where that gets me.

I have no idea why my ketones dumped down to .3 and the glucose is up to 120's pretty consistently the last couple of weeks other than "sugar free" flavorings and cough drops this past few days.

I will report in on the elimination of SF things and lowered calories......hope to see some changes for the better. I'm hoping to break or tie my 2012 low tomorrow morning! :-)
Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #837
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYSTEPS View Post
Hi..the macros are great, but you aren't posting numbers....like how many grams of protein, fat, carbs. Can you put your "goals" in the signature line like some of us are now doing thanks to Buffy's brilliant knowledge of how to do it and instructionals?! (thanks Buffy) That will help us all.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #838
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYSTEPS View Post
Without knowing your calories it is impossible to tell. Or your actual grams.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #839
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
OMG...I just cringe every time I read about the jalapeno's you eat! Hubby loves them too and I make the most horrible face just thinking of them! haha
jalapenos

Quote:
Red.....you're going to find that you get the "cold" in a very very mild form if you are like me.
Fingers are crossed. I've been feeling better the last few hours but I did take a sinus pill and some aspirin.

Quote:
I had to ask you guys if anyone watched the baseball playoffs between the REDS (Yup....right name for us, but not our team here...hubby is a SF Giants fan. Anyway, there was a player for Cincinnati Reds who "pulled up" with horrible calf cramps and they had to stop the game for the trainer to come out and "massage" his leg in the field. Made me laugh and yell at the TV....Take some Magnesium!!!!!. Then a couple innings later the Giants outfielder was at bad and wham...same thing...horrible cramp in his calf. He hit the ball after his "personal massage" and hobbled to 1st base...it was so sad. So, a player on each team with horrible calf cramps...don't these professionals and trainers know about minerals and such...they did say he was chugging a gatorade. Not enough in that for what he's dealing with. But he had bittie little bird legs! ha ha
Is it possible they are all newbie LC'rs???

Quote:
I have no idea why my ketones dumped down to .3 and the glucose is up to 120's pretty consistently the last couple of weeks other than "sugar free" flavorings and cough drops this past few days.

I will report in on the elimination of SF things and lowered calories......hope to see some changes for the better. I'm hoping to break or tie my 2012 low tomorrow morning! :-)
I can't believe I didn't think of AFs causing this problem! Keep us posted!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #840
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
I'm not stalled but I gain and lose the same 8 lbs over and over and over...

I.started today! My starting weight is. 154.4,
I guess I will see if I can get below 145 that will be my goal to see if this works...lol

I had the most amazing breakfast!! Let me tell you unsweetened shredded coconut is so underrated!
I weigh this morning and I was at 152.6! so almost 2lbs overnight.. anyone else notice that with just cutting the carbs or adding them you are so water sensative... ?
I eat a few extra carbs and I bloat like a madman!
Closed Thread