Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #631
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Kerry, google 'dr eades tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb'. These two articles are chock full of good information about the induction phase of LC.

It should be the second hit. That is the link to Part 2 but the first sentence in that article links back to Part 1.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #632
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Hey Buffy you making your fat bombs with almond butter?
I did before NK a while back. I thought they were pretty good. Can't remember the nutrition info though.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #633
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
<----------------------

Love the "mystery man" avatar!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #634
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/184.6/152
WOE: ????
Start Date: This time: 5/19/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I agree that the carb ladder is generally misguided. people add to many carbs.

I think it matters if it's sugar, because that's just processed differently in the body. but other than that, not so much probably. the thing is, a lot of people have trigger foods up the carb ladder, especially grains. it can make sense to hold off on those for awhile till people have more chance of maintaining self control.
Quote:
That is why I think that the Atkins corporation, the fine folks that brought us very profitable frankenfoods stamped with Dr. Atkins moniker, had identified several things about the Atkins 'diet' that they considered marquee items that *must* appear in the book no matter who wrote it. Like the awful, failure inducing, carb ladder.

I did so well at goal for so long, and ultimately trying to "get away with" carbs I had done without for so long is what did me in. Still trying to climb back on the wagon! I'm not going to give up though.

Interesting posts - I'm reading with interest.

DG
Old 10-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #635
Blabbermouth!!!

I will consider doing a pic of me as an avatar at goal

The dang thing is my before pics are on the desktop that is currently non-functional

And, then there is the issue of me challenged in the photogenics arena. And I don't think I have any shirts that are really my size any more. I still wear my 3x casual button ups around the house. I have some XL pull overs but they are really a bit big now too. I'm glad I didn't go buy those 4x I was considering last year.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #636
Blabbermouth!!!

Food Log

Log and numbers for today.

Calories: 1517

Fat: 124
Pro: 80
Car: 30

72/21/7

Breakfast: CO & coffee. I had HWC in the second thermos of coffee.
Snack: Pickles.
Lunch: Eggs, jalapeno.
Dinner: Chicken, jalapeno, broccoli, sliced tomato.
End of the day: T of CO.

Wow, it looks like a lot of food or 1500 calories. I am stuffed but the way things worked out today I ended up eating dinner sometime after 5 and didn't eat the T of CO till 6 or a little after.
Attached Images
File Type: png graph_10082012.png (20.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg log_10082012.jpg (35.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #637
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
I did so well at goal for so long, and ultimately trying to "get away with" carbs I had done without for so long is what did me in. Still trying to climb back on the wagon! I'm not going to give up though.

Interesting posts - I'm reading with interest.

DG
Seems like every single "I'm back" post follows very similar narratives. Started carbing, ate more carbs, completely fell off the wagon, gained some or all or more weight back. Rinse repeat.

It is pretty heinous that the Atkins corporation keeps that part of the NDR when it has clearly proven itself to be a glaring failure point. It is almost like they would rather have people buy their books every couple of years. And buy plenty of branded LC frankenfood on their way up the ladder while they plunge back into the hell of being overweight.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #638
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
Red, does the CO do anything at the end of the day to you? Do you get energy? I'm short on fat and am thinking of having some. I've only used it in my morning java.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #639
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Ok tomorrow I start a mod fat fast.. Now I have to figure out what I want to use to count..
Old 10-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #640
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Cholesterol.

Buffy, have you downloaded the Cholesterol show yet? It is awesome. I've listened to it 3 times so far.

This one has an intro by Dr. Dayspring that thoroughly describes cholesterol and the particles. It is very information dense, which is why I've listened to it several time and plan on several more, but if you are already familiar with the particles then you will get a ton out of it right off the bat.

'atlcx-29-dr-thomas-dayspring'

A couple of points of interests, considering your tests and statins.

At 26 minutes in Dayspring says what specific test(s) you need to have done. It isn't the VAP as we thought earlier in the thread. It is APO-B or LDL-P NVM.

If for some reason your doc absolutely refuses to have one done, the APO-B is very reasonably priced at about $100 and any lab in the country can do the test. Turnaround is 24-48 hours.

At about 32:40 he discusses the numbers the test reveals.

Early on in the podcast, Jimmy mentions the last interview he did with Dr. Dayspring!!

'LLVLC-ep-585-dr-thomas-dayspring'

Awesome!! Really, this one is worth listening to first and it is full of excellent information too. He also covers the types of tests and specifically tells you what to say to your doctor about ordering one because your doc is probably going to tell you he/she is already getting a leptin panel. I've listened to this one a few times so far and plan on more.

Concerning statins....

'LLVLC-ep-611-justin-smith_Statins'

...an excellent podcast about the story behind statins with this interview of Justin Smith. Smith did a documentary called Nation. I'm eager to see it and Jimmy was very enthusiastic about it having seen it not too long before the interview (I think).

Thank you for this...I need to check these out! My cholesterol has always been high and docs always want me on statins!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #641
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
ok im still stalking your thread... lol

im 35% fat (as per my tantia scale, same as you buffy!) have you ever noticed bodyfat is so much higher during the am then the pm? its SOOOOOOOOOO STRANGE!

I am debating getting back in gear tomorrow? or should I wait till monday next week..
Hi Kerry...good to see you here posting! 2 comments. The Tanita scale for bodyfat is only to be used at night before bedtime, or hours after dinner. When the body is filled with "liquids" and not in a "fasting state" like it is in the morning. So, weight is done in the morning...fasted while sleeping, and bodyfat is done at night when your body has "fluid/food", etc. to fluff up the tissues and therefore the numbers "should be" lower for bodyfat. So, I'm on that stupid scale 2 times a day!

The 2nd thing is to start tomorrow...why wait another week. It's always good to start right now!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #642
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zay View Post
Red, does the CO do anything at the end of the day to you? Do you get energy? I'm short on fat and am thinking of having some. I've only used it in my morning java.
Well. I'll tell you what about that, but, yes on the energy question - I'd hesitate to take it too close to bedtime.

Someone posted in the other NK thread, and I didn't bookmark the post so I can't remember who did it, that MCT oils like CO (or straight MCT oil) actually triggers the body's production of ketones.

So, my thinking was that if I am in a state of NK and I end my day with a T of CO, all that ketone production is going to foster fat burning from the time I put the tablespoon down till the time I start drinking my CO coffee in the morning.

I've been doing it for 4 days and 3 of the 4 have been losses on the scale with that odd 4th being a stay even day.

There are a ton of variables involved so the end of day CO may have nothing to do with it.

Some of the variables....

I'm very careful about what I eat so I know I am well into the keto range.

I've been doing NK for about 4 weeks so I am certain that I am completely keto-adapted.

I don't eat after 6pm, and usually not after 5pm, so it is almost a 12 hour window from last bite to weigh-in the next morning.

I try to keep my calories around 1500 which is about 600 below maintenance according to the BMR calculator for me.

I haven't had a macro day with under 70% fat since starting NK on the 10th (just checked the logs) and I am pretty sure my average for fat was 75%+.

I supplement with 2xRDA of magnesium. Other stuff too but magnesium plays a major role in energy utilization and a zillion other things.

I have red hair.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #643
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Interesting! I think I will try it around 5 or 6 in some after dinner decaf tea! Looks like I may need to dye hair too! You are SOOOO kind. Thanks for your detailed input on that. I'm going to skip it as I'm ready for bed and up at 5 am. I can't afford a bad nights sleep. Nighty night Mystery Man!!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #644
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here are my numbers for today

Calories: 1391

Fat: 98
Pro: 71
Car: 17

71/23/5

Breakfast: CO, coffee, splenda, half n half
2nd Breakfast: Egg, cheese, bacon
Lunch: Pork Tenderloin, spicy mustard, mayo
Dinner: Chicken, cheese, avocado, sour cream
Snack: 7 pistachios
Lots of water, some crystal light,one diet soda
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #645
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Is anyone planning the nextdays meals the night before? I'm thinking about going and weighing all my meals and logging them in a few just do I know in advance..
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #646
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Interesting! I think I will try it around 5 or 6 in some after dinner decaf tea! Looks like I may need to dye hair too! You are SOOOO kind. Thanks for your detailed input on that. I'm going to skip it as I'm ready for bed and up at 5 am. I can't afford a bad nights sleep. Nighty night Mystery Man!!
The first time I did it, 4 days ago, I was really zinged with an energy spike. So a little earlier is better the first time probably. The last couple of days I haven't noticed it so much but who knows if it is a tolerance thing or a fluke. As far as CO goes, I've been having at least 4T a day for months I reckon.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #647
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Is anyone planning the nextdays meals the night before? I'm thinking about going and weighing all my meals and logging them in a few just do I know in advance..
I do sometimes Kerry. But right now there isn't much variety in what I'm eating so I have a loose plan of the next day most of the time.

Usually the way it goes is I throw a couple of things on the log to eat, then I add stuff for dinner then I look at the numbers and add/remove stuff from both meals till I get it right and finalize it all at dinner.

Like the tomato and broccoli I had tonight. I put 6oz in for the tomato and 9oz for the broccoli. The tomato was actually 7.1oz so I updated the number after I weighed it. I tweaked the broccoli down to 6 oz to keep my carbs under 30 (well exactly 30). And I had HWC 1oz for a float but I was full so I zapped it.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #648
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Here are my numbers for today

Calories: 1391

Fat: 98
Pro: 71
Car: 17

71/23/5

Breakfast: CO, coffee, splenda, half n half
2nd Breakfast: Egg, cheese, bacon
Lunch: Pork Tenderloin, spicy mustard, mayo
Dinner: Chicken, cheese, avocado, sour cream
Snack: 7 pistachios
Lots of water, some crystal light,one diet soda
Numbers look good
Old 10-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #649
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Thanks, it is fun learning and this group is great. Hmm, not sure what roulemalade sauce is, must go look that up.

I used to run years ago, got to where my knees hurt so thankfully I quit before I caused any damage.
I didn't spell it right, but it's mayo, mustard, tomato, and horseradish for most of the sauces. New Orleans favorite. Like Mayo, we have a hundred different recipes. Emeril has a great one, but he always uses 20 ingredients. I use a bit of tomato/garlic pesto in mine, too much tomato pushes up the carbs. It's always pink and great with seafood, fish...
Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #650
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ok tomorrow I start a mod fat fast.. Now I have to figure out what I want to use to count..
hang in there Kerry, sometimes its a rough go at first. someone said it right, and I got lost today trying to catch up....it's the long term, permanent changes...sometimes backing up, re-evaluating, and starting over is perfect. I think the difference in actually losing weight long term goal style is to pick yourself up, and start again the next day. Not to let the little trips make you fall off. just make the goal, and get going. we have to keep the big picture in our view.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #651
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
So this is ok right, as long as the 80/15/5 percentages are good??
Anyone?

PS... You have a pic now to go with my posts! I'm feeling a little brave and comfortable here
Zay, my Half n Half has twice the carbs/sugar, red carton cow jumping brand....the same brand HWC is zero carbs. Also, I don't drink milk, makes me stuff up and can't breathe, but the HWC doesnt do that. so if it matters to you, drink the one you want.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #652
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Holy carp this thread moves fast!

Zay, many as you search for answers!

I want to respond to so many of you but if I take a couple of days off I am lost!

Speaking of being lost, I have lost 10% of my body weight.!! -33 lbs and counting. I now embark on the next 10%. 269 here I come!!

I got my meter yesterday. Got around to testing tonight. .6 Been losing well. I wonder if it could be time of day? Do you usually test fasting in the am? I only have one little strip left so I will need to get an order placed.

6/22/13 restart of NK
Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #653
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
If I could get this old body to move as fast as this thread is moving I'd be in size 2 skinny jeans.

Red, you look very sexy in your new avatar, but I loved your old avatar, it always made me want to pat a spot on the sofa and say, come on baby come and sit next to me.

I'm so proud of all you losers.

No time to post more--I'm off to read about magnesium and cholesterol.

Pat
Old 10-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #654
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Magnesium

This is a very interesting site.

Pat
Old 10-09-2012, 02:38 AM   #655
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
I have red hair.
So that's your weight loss secret! :::::::: off to buy a bottle of hair dye::::::::
Old 10-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #656
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Me too Deborah!

Good morning! and I hope you have a fantastic day!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:18 AM   #657
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Oh man the night ended to fast lol.. Sooo tired lol
last night I put everything i'm ******, now off to make my fatty meals for work!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:23 AM   #658
Blabbermouth!!!

Kerry, you have been stalled since March?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:34 AM   #659
Blabbermouth!!!

weigh-in 10092012

Weigh-in this morning... ... ... 190.8!

A bump! heh dang it. I really pigged out on salt yesterday though. If it was solid food then I dashed salt on it. Even the pickles. I've been getting some mild cramps for the last few days although I'd bumped my water up a little that didn't seem to have an effect so I wanted to see if sodium would do the trick and it was much better but I assume i retained a little more water than normal.

I'm going to make sure I salt everything again today. I never was a big salt person. I add some when I am cooking but not usually any at the table so it is not a habit of mine to reach for the salt shaker. I am going to try to include another tomato today cause I like them with a lot of salt.

Although it is only .2, that is my first bump in 6 days. 4 days down, 1 day even and today a bump. Not bad for my personal bump history.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #660
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patlaf View Post
Magnesium

This is a very interesting site.

Pat
That is an awesome site Pat! Loved the part at the bottom that described the types of magnesium available.

Quote:
Magnesium oxide is the most dense magnesium compound and the one most often used in mineral supplements and multivitamins. It contains 300 mg of elemental magnesium per 500 mg tablet, but is extremely poorly absorbed. Only about 4% of its elemental magnesium is absorbed or about 12 mg out of a 500 mg tablet.

Magnesium carbonate contains 125 mg of elemental magnesium per 500 mg tablet, but is poorly absorbed.

Chelated magnesium (magnesium glycinate) is magnesium bound in a complex of glycine and lysine. It is easily absorbed and highly bioavailable. The magnesium (elemental) content per tablet or capsule is usually 100 mg.

Magnesium orotate contains only 31 mg of elemental magnesium per 500 mg tablet. However, it is well absorbed and has been found highly effective in daily intakes of 3000 mg (186 mg elemental).

Magnesium citrate contains 80 mg of elemental magnesium per 500 mg tablet. It is far better absorbed than is magnesium oxide. The water soluble form (Natural Calm) contains 205 mg of elemental magnesium per teaspoon, is totally soluble in hot water and is highly bioavailable.

Magnesium maleate contains 56 mg of elemental magnesium per 500 mg tablet.

Magnesium gluconate contains 27 mg of elemental magnesium per 500 mg tablet. It is easily absorbed and quick acting.

All forms of oral magnesium supplements are better absorbed when taken with a meal.
Closed Thread