Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #601
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I just fixed my diet root beer with with 1 teaspoon of HWC
Is that even legal?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #602
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
WOE: low cal/low carb
Buffy, I decided to use half and half instead of the heavy cream to save calories.

Here is the comparison:

one cup of
half and half vs. heavy cream

315 vs. 831 calories
27 vs. 88 fat grams
10.4 vs. 6.7 carb grams
7.2 vs. 4.9 protein grams

There is a huge calorie and fat difference and not so much on the other macros.

Last edited by zay; 10-08-2012 at 01:03 PM..
Old 10-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #603
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zay View Post
Buffy, I decided to use half and half instead of the heavy cream to save calories.

Here is the comparison:

one cup of

315 vs. 831 calories
27 vs. 88 fat grams
10.4 vs. 6.7 carb grams

So this is ok right, as long as the 80/15/5 percentages are good??
Anyone?

PS... You have a pic now to go with my posts! I'm feeling a little brave and comfortable here
Old 10-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #604
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:

Here is the comparison:

one cup of

315 vs. 831 calories
27 vs. 88 fat grams
10.4 vs. 6.7 carb grams

Oooh OOooooh OOoooh....we get to see Zay (photo). What a great photo. Thanks for sharing "you" with us!

Re: the half and half vs. HWC......you might want to try this instead. You don't have to have the sugars that half and half has (that HWC does not have) by taking HWC and using 1/2 that and 1/2 water! That way it's the best of both worlds if you are struggling with keeping the calories down. It's more important to have more "fat" and less "sugar".....my opinion of course! :-)
Old 10-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #605
Senior LCF Member

OK.....doing a "test" to see if the signature thing worked out per Missy Buffy!!!!

This is a test!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #606
Senior LCF Member

Woo hoo!!! It worked. How fun is that. Thank you Buffy!!!! Now I need to add goal calories...forgot although I don't know that I have a goal. Hmmm....

Last edited by shelley; 10-08-2012 at 01:27 PM..
Old 10-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #607
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Anyone?

PS... You have a pic now to go with my posts! I'm feeling a little brave and comfortable here
I'm glad you asked the question that way Zay. I'm not sure I've described this in this thread although I probably did in last month's long, long thread.

What matters first is protein grams then, at least the way I do it, fat percentage and I generally ignore carbs except that I keep them as low as possible and try never to go over 30 total carbs. But the two other macros, protein and fat, automatically keep carbs down.

Say you had your menu planned out with 40g of total carbs (which may sound good as 25 net carbs) and your absolute actual protein grams were right. Your fat is going to be way off because your total carb grams are that high. Fat would be in the 60%s, probably the low 60s, which will also make your protein % go into the 30%s. Not good ratios.

It is quite a bit different from the Atkins approach of tracking net carbs. I have not done NK using net carbs so I don't know how well that'd work.

As for the half/half vs. hwc... Calories count, no doubt, but carbs are the real problem. But if you are counting total carbs, not net, then there is no problem using it to see how it works.

I know I read one or two other people in the other NK thread mention using HWC and cutting it with equal amounts of water to save calories and keep carbs low. I haven't done that so I dunno how it tastes.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #608
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Is that even legal?
WELL, it is if you don't call the cops on me! Give me a break my friend

Old 10-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #609
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
You don't have to have the sugars that half and half has (that HWC does not have)

Shelley!!! To the rescue!! I couldn't for the life of me remember what the problem was with half/half. I was thinking milk fat but no that wasn't it.

So, half/half is out, I'm sorry Zay
Old 10-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #610
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I thought you were much taller.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #611
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Anyone?

Oh, hi Zay! I just love to see people's pictures, really helps to get to know each other. If I ever run into Red at a store, we don't live that far apart, I will only recognize him by his paws and who ever looks at other people's paws???

I could do that but don't even keep half and half around, I just use the HWC and honestly, this was really just as much of a treat, but thanks for the good suggestion.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #612
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
OK.....doing a "test" to see if the signature thing worked out per Missy Buffy!!!!

This is a test!
You got it!!!! That really helps, especially since I thought of it . No really, it does, and helps us help each other.

Maybe I should have been a teacher Nah, that would have never worked out.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #613
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So, half and half in one cup says .4 gram of sugar
HWC - one cup says .3 grams of sugar
Don't think its the sugar guys. Unless of course my daily plate tracker is incorrect.

Sorry, no full body shot...yet!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #614
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
If I ever run into Red at a store, we don't live that far apart, I will only recognize him by his paws and who ever looks at other people's paws???
Heehee!! Funny!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #615
Blabbermouth!!!

Stubborn about the half/half huh lol

We'll give it a spin then

As long as you are counting total carbs it might not matter one way or the other.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #616
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
So, half and half in one cup says .4 gram of sugar
HWC - one cup says .3 grams of sugar
Don't think its the sugar guys. Unless of course my daily plate tracker is incorrect.

Sorry, no full body shot...yet!
Hey, at least you look taller than me
Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #617
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Stubborn about the half/half huh lol

We'll give it a spin then

As long as you are counting total carbs it might not matter one way or the other.
I agree and this kind of makes me wonder about the whole induction phase of atkins, adding this type of carb, then that type as you move up the ladder, etc. Does any of that really make any difference or can you actually just eat any food you wish, as long as you keep the carb level where you want it to lose weight? You will automatically chose the right foods b/c of the carb count, we already do that, we eat one thing in place of another b/c it has the lowest carb count, or the highest fat content, or the calories we can spend. I started right out on this eating nuts and cheese, however much HWC as I want, but all limited by the nutritional counts on things. You quickly learn that meat, lc veggies and your high fat sources fills up your daily goals.

I don't care, I just care what works to make me healthy and to lose weight!

BTW, I think when Red reaches goal, he should add his picture to his profile, whatcha all think????
Old 10-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #618
Blabbermouth!!!

I think that carb ladder thing is the reason so many people are restarters on Atkins.

Start adding carbs back, in a progression more and more, and then it gets out of hand and boom back where you started plus some.

When Atkins developed his DR and NDR the science was a lot less advanced. *And*, way back then, there were a lot less carby convenience foods than these days so maybe it didn't matter as much because availability was much lower.

I haven't read NANU or NANDR (is that the right abbr?) so I am very curious to know what their reasoning was for keeping that part of Atkins' ingenious diet. After all, NANDR was written by the same guy that wrote Art & Science. Maybe it was a brand restriction they had to maintain? The carb ladder has been a part of DR for decades so Phinney, et. al., may have had to include it contractually.

Hmmmm
Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #619

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
I agree and this kind of makes me wonder about the whole induction phase of atkins, adding this type of carb, then that type as you move up the ladder, etc. Does any of that really make any difference or can you actually just eat any food you wish, as long as you keep the carb level where you want it to lose weight?
the thing is, most people are not disciplined nor in it for the long term. the induction foods are simple and designed to train both the mind and body to expect something different. I agree that the carb ladder is generally misguided. people add to many carbs.

I think it matters if it's sugar, because that's just processed differently in the body. but other than that, not so much probably. the thing is, a lot of people have trigger foods up the carb ladder, especially grains. it can make sense to hold off on those for awhile till people have more chance of maintaining self control.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #620
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
it's the blood ketone monitoring, Lossgirl. that is scientifically accurate.
Shoot! I was hoping that you might be mistaken about the ketosis. Good luck finding the answers you need and getting this ball rolling!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #621
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

BTW, I think when Red reaches goal, he should add his picture to his profile, whatcha all think????
I second that, Buffy! Red, you are such a mystery man!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #622
Senior LCF Member

Hi Beautiful Zay! Thanks for sharing a pic with us!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #623

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
I haven't read NANU or NANDR (is that the right abbr?) so I am very curious to know what their reasoning was for keeping that part of Atkins' ingenious diet. After all, NANDR was written by the same guy that wrote Art & Science. Maybe it was a brand restriction they had to maintain? The carb ladder has been a part of DR for decades so Phinney, et. al., may have had to include it contractually.
I really think they believe not many people need to restrict their carbs as low as 20 grams for more than two weeks. They seem to think 40 or so is perfectly fine for most to lose and be in ketosis. I thought that was the drift of Art and Science too. The recipes there were laughably carby from my point of view. Good for the non-obese who need to knock off a few lb, but not really suitable for the metabolically needy.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #624
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I really think they believe not many people need to restrict their carbs as low as 20 grams for more than two weeks. They seem to think 40 or so is perfectly fine for most to lose and be in ketosis. I thought that was the drift of Art and Science too. The recipes there were laughably carby from my point of view. Good for the non-obese who need to knock off a few lb, but not really suitable for the metabolically needy.
I disagree. One of the criticism about A&S was that it came out right after the Atkins book and mainstreamers assaulted that fact as some sort of an AHA! you money grubbers are trying to peddle books not help people.

So, Phinney must have been writing the books concurrently and he must have already settled on 50g total carbs max as the healthiest LC approach to carb restriction.

No?

That is why I think that the Atkins corporation, the fine folks that brought us very profitable frankenfoods stamped with Dr. Atkins moniker, had identified several things about the Atkins 'diet' that they considered marquee items that *must* appear in the book no matter who wrote it. Like the awful, failure inducing, carb ladder.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #625
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
I second that, Buffy! Red, you are such a mystery man!
<----------------------

Old 10-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #626
Blabbermouth!!!

Cholesterol.

Buffy, have you downloaded the Cholesterol show yet? It is awesome. I've listened to it 3 times so far.

This one has an intro by Dr. Dayspring that thoroughly describes cholesterol and the particles. It is very information dense, which is why I've listened to it several time and plan on several more, but if you are already familiar with the particles then you will get a ton out of it right off the bat.

'atlcx-29-dr-thomas-dayspring'

A couple of points of interests, considering your tests and statins.

At 26 minutes in Dayspring says what specific test(s) you need to have done. It isn't the VAP as we thought earlier in the thread. It is APO-B or LDL-P NVM.

If for some reason your doc absolutely refuses to have one done, the APO-B is very reasonably priced at about $100 and any lab in the country can do the test. Turnaround is 24-48 hours.

At about 32:40 he discusses the numbers the test reveals.

Early on in the podcast, Jimmy mentions the last interview he did with Dr. Dayspring!!

'LLVLC-ep-585-dr-thomas-dayspring'

Awesome!! Really, this one is worth listening to first and it is full of excellent information too. He also covers the types of tests and specifically tells you what to say to your doctor about ordering one because your doc is probably going to tell you he/she is already getting a leptin panel. I've listened to this one a few times so far and plan on more.

Concerning statins....

'LLVLC-ep-611-justin-smith_Statins'

...an excellent podcast about the story behind statins with this interview of Justin Smith. Smith did a documentary called $tatin Nation. I'm eager to see it and Jimmy was very enthusiastic about it having seen it not too long before the interview (I think).

Old 10-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #627
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
ok im still stalking your thread... lol

I have totally become a weenie.. I started eating low carb ****(feel free to fill in with whatever word you would like lol)
and gained about 10lbs in a week.. not to mention that now i feel like poop, my period is a week late (i already tested and im not carrying a child yay! lol) and my headaches are off and on bad. I'm sure im eating some gluten (I believe im very sensitive)
In a few days I plan on doing fat fast for a few days, (about 3 or 4) then slowly adding more protein to trans into n/k hf/mp/lc
I have been playing with some recepies and I believe with homemade mayo, and mock danish, and lots of bacon fat/butter/hwc/creamcheese I can do this..
I don't want to be just watching all of you melt away I want to melt away too!

I need to start to exercise also, im so lazy when it comes to moving, heavy lifting etc. I would love to (in arnold swartz voice) "LIFT THINGS UP AND PUT THEM DOWN" because for my 5'8 height, and weight with my small frame im 35% fat (as per my tantia scale, same as you buffy!) have you ever noticed bodyfat is so much higher during the am then the pm? its SOOOOOOOOOO STRANGE!

Oh and red if you don't want to invest in weights can I suggest filling a gallon container with sand or water? you could use it just like a kettle bell...

I am debating getting back in gear tomorrow? or should I wait till monday next week..
Fit into my Guess Black Skinny Jeans
"i may pause, but I don't stop"
Old 10-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #628
Blabbermouth!!!

If you have a smart phone you have an mp3 player. If you have a vehicle that is less than 5 or 6 years old then you probably also have an aux port on the car stereo.

All you need is the cable to plug into the headphone jack of your phone and the aux jack of your stereo. Then you can listen to the Jimmy Moore mp3's (podcasts) whenever you are out and about. I never listen to my truck's stereo because I've always got my phone plugged into the aux port.

I don't know a thing about iPhones so I can't help you with those.

But Android phones I do know a thing and the best way to listen is to get a folder music player. There are several on the Play market. I am currently using 'Music Folder Player Free' by ZorillaSoft.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #629
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Hey Buffy you making your fat bombs with almond butter?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #630
Blabbermouth!!!

If you are gonna start ... start

Deborah is our resident exercise expertise person

Can I start with empty gallon containers? I can work my way up to half-full of feathers, then .6, .7, .8 and maybe level off for a while, .9, whoa don't get crazy.
Closed Thread