Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #571
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 9,210
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
RR, I am not not that well read but I just wanted you to know that I hope you can find the direction you need. With all the health problems you have and all the meds, it sure sounds like an uphill battle for sure.

Best of luck on finding the correct path to better health.
Buffy45 is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #572
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Wow...what great posts by everyone.....and now Major Red is about to head into a whole new "decade" number on the scale! How fabulous!!! You so deserve it!

Buffy! What can I say to 1.5" loss on your waist. That is incredible! Woo hoo girl!!!!!

PC....starting a new job and "maintaining" with all the stress of new job, new hours of being here and there, etc. is really a GOOD thing!!! You didn't gain and that's amazing. Keep it up and you will see great results.

Ravenrose....you wrote:

>>Do you find fiber is a plus or a problem when eating the NK way? Would I be better off trying the laxatives rather than flax/chia/oat fiber? I have been using glucomannan some too.>>

if you are taking thyroid meds, why would you touch flax, chia, oats and especially glocomannan! Yikes. Those are not good for hypo people at all. My only comment is about the 100% fat for a couple weeks. My understanding is that a fat fast is 3-4 DAYS, not weeks. And protein is essential for the body to heal, function and not lose lean muscle mass. Your protein levels have been really low, so maybe your body is hanging on to everything it can??? I would go back to the 80/15/5 and stick with it. That Swedish author says that for people that have done LC for years (most of us) have a harder time getting into and staying in NK...some take 6 months for the transition. That's where I think I am, so I'm staying the course and am determined to keep it up. But I can't imagine lowering protein as you have.....hope you stay with it. But to answer your question. My fiber intake is essentially nothing. I'm not eating fiber in the form of fruits and veggies, grains and supplements. I'm pretty much fat with a bit of protein and my carbs usually come from small amounts in bacon, eggs, etc. But I will agree that it's a fine tuned situation......just stick with it for 6 months and go back to the 80/15/5 balance. Switching it up all the time confuses the body *in my opinion*.
shelley is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #573
Major LCF Poster!
 
portcop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Buffy been here for 2 weeks but gained 2 lbs last Monday but did lose it by this Monday...it was from eating out!!

Yes a new job is very hard,,,but I do a lot of walking now as a CNA I'm on my feet.7.5 hours walk walk and more walk,I love that part..

Just made me some egg drop soup yummmmm.
portcop01 is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #574
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Reporting in for Monday:

Weight down another .2#. I'm loving that!!! I've hit this weight 3 times in the last 10 days...bouncing up and down and up and down...now I just want to bounce down instead of back up! ha ha

My reading this morning for ketones was .3 which was very disappointing as I'm doing "everything right". I have no clue what is going on.

My glucose reading was 110, but I don't know that I even trust this meter any more, but since I have the strips, I do test at the same time as ketones.

Slept well last night. Cold is better. Taking another quiet day at home reading and watching old movies so that I"m not "energetic" and hopefully this cold will be GONE by tomorrow...that's my plan. I've spoken to neighbors who said they were flat on their backs in bed for days on end...so guess I am doing really well!!!! No meds, no nothing. Just waiting it out.

Hope everyone has a great week!
shelley is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #575
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
zay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: DET
Posts: 3,828
Gallery: zay
WOE: low cal/low carb
Hey PC! You are a CNA! What a wonderful way to serve His people. You are making a difference and are blessing in the lives of the elderly. I know it must be a physically tough and thankless job sometimes. I admire and commend you!

Enjoy your egg drop soup. I'm going to be looking for soup recipes. We had our first hard freeze last night here in MI. All of the annuals are done until next year Here comes the snow!

Last edited by zay; 10-08-2012 at 11:13 AM..
zay is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #576
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
drjlocarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,307
Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Raven and Red, PLEASE don't take this to PM.. There are others(ME) who would like to see the conversation.
drjlocarb is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #577
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,452
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Reporting in for Monday:

Weight down another .2#. I'm loving that!!! I've hit this weight 3 times in the last 10 days...bouncing up and down and up and down...now I just want to bounce down instead of back up! ha ha

My reading this morning for ketones was .3 which was very disappointing as I'm doing "everything right". I have no clue what is going on.

My glucose reading was 110, but I don't know that I even trust this meter any more, but since I have the strips, I do test at the same time as ketones.

Slept well last night. Cold is better. Taking another quiet day at home reading and watching old movies so that I"m not "energetic" and hopefully this cold will be GONE by tomorrow...that's my plan. I've spoken to neighbors who said they were flat on their backs in bed for days on end...so guess I am doing really well!!!! No meds, no nothing. Just waiting it out.

Hope everyone has a great week!


Hooray for another loss!

And hooray for whipping the cold!
reddarin is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #578
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post

Protein is still low but otherwise excellent numbers especially with that dang cold killing your appetite.



Get plenty of rest.
OK...I"m confused. I thought my goal protein at the low end was to be 47 and my 46.8 was darned close to perfect! Am I using the wrong number for protein?

And this cold is not at all killing my appetite! ha ha The worst day of the cold was my 1945 calories and 190 grams of fat (90%). It was a great day! ha ha

I had to "cut back" yesterday to be in the right range for my numbers/macros, so no appetite suppression whatsoever!

OK...I've done so many different calculations on protein grams that I'm now totally confused. At first I was doing 57-60 and was told that was too high and I should be 47. So, someone help!!!!!
shelley is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #579
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 9,210
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Shelley, not sure about Red but I think I was also thinking that you, like me, had gone too low on your protein for 2 days, when in fact, you were just low on Sat. I think it was. Had to go back and look. Plus the fact that it is hard to remember just where everyone of us is on our protein requirements, etc. My low end is 58 I believe, maybe we need a way to include those numbers in our signatures, so that when we read someone's daily amounts, we can glance down and see how they compare to what they are trying to hit??? Anyway, good job is having a loss and fighting that nasty cold. KUTGW!!
__________________
Buffy
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #580
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,452
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
OK...I"m confused. I thought my goal protein at the low end was to be 47 and my 46.8 was darned close to perfect! Am I using the wrong number for protein?

And this cold is not at all killing my appetite! ha ha The worst day of the cold was my 1945 calories and 190 grams of fat (90%). It was a great day! ha ha

I had to "cut back" yesterday to be in the right range for my numbers/macros, so no appetite suppression whatsoever!

OK...I've done so many different calculations on protein grams that I'm now totally confused. At first I was doing 57-60 and was told that was too high and I should be 47. So, someone help!!!!!
Doh!!

Sorry! I forgot your range was so low Shelley! Probably wouldn't hurt to bump protein a few grams while you are fighting the cold though.
reddarin is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #581
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 9,210
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Buffy! What can I say to 1.5" loss on your waist. That is incredible! Woo hoo girl!!!!!

>>Do you find fiber is a plus or a problem when eating the NK way? Would I be better off trying the laxatives rather than flax/chia/oat fiber? I have been using glucomannan some too.>>

if you are taking thyroid meds, why would you touch flax, chia, oats and especially glocomannan! Yikes. Those are not good for hypo people at all. My only comment is about the 100% fat for a couple weeks. My understanding is that a fat fast is 3-4 DAYS, not weeks. And protein is essential for the body to heal, function and not lose lean muscle mass. Your protein levels have been really low, so maybe your body is hanging on to everything it can??? I would go back to the 80/15/5 and stick with it. That Swedish author says that for people that have done LC for years (most of us) have a harder time getting into and staying in NK...some take 6 months for the transition. That's where I think I am, so I'm staying the course and am determined to keep it up. But I can't imagine lowering protein as you have.....hope you stay with it. But to answer your question. My fiber intake is essentially nothing. I'm not eating fiber in the form of fruits and veggies, grains and supplements. I'm pretty much fat with a bit of protein and my carbs usually come from small amounts in bacon, eggs, etc. But I will agree that it's a fine tuned situation......just stick with it for 6 months and go back to the 80/15/5 balance. Switching it up all the time confuses the body *in my opinion*.
Thanks Shelley, I was pretty surprised at the tape measure for 1 week.

Wow, there is soo much I do not know. I didn't know that a thyroid person should not have fiber. I don't get hardly any now and don't miss it but didn't know that I should avoid it. Glad to have that info.
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #582
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 9,210
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Buffy been here for 2 weeks but gained 2 lbs last Monday but did lose it by this Monday...it was from eating out!!

Yes a new job is very hard,,,but I do a lot of walking now as a CNA I'm on my feet.7.5 hours walk walk and more walk,I love that part..

Just made me some egg drop soup yummmmm.
Excellent on the walking involved with your job, that can you help you tone up! I know that, I am just not doing it, YET, I am gearing towards it.
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #583
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 9,210
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Hi Jlo. Sometimes people are a little shy about posting questions that they would be more comfortable telling to someone in a PM. I am sure they will share the parts that are helping, not working, etc. But, I understand what you mean, we are all soaking up info like sponges here.
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #584
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,452
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Shelley, not sure about Red but I think I was also thinking that you, like me, had gone too low on your protein for 2 days, when in fact, you were just low on Sat. I think it was. Had to go back and look. Plus the fact that it is hard to remember just where everyone of us is on our protein requirements, etc.
Guilty and exactly!
reddarin is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #585
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,664
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
at this point the discussion is just "you really should try to find a competent specialist!"

I will let you know if anything interesting turns up. I do feel rather exposed, telling all my problems and warts there... I am normally much more private. It's not comfortable, but something may click.

shelly, what problems do the fibers cause with hypothyroid? I am not FEELING like it's a problem, and I used to. and the blood work looks right...
ravenrose is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #586
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Thanks Shelley, I was pretty surprised at the tape measure for 1 week.

Wow, there is soo much I do not know. I didn't know that a thyroid person should not have fiber. I don't get hardly any now and don't miss it but didn't know that I should avoid it. Glad to have that info.
Ooops....error in my communication. People with thyroid issues should stay away from certain foods....soy being one of the worst, and then you have flax and others that are not at all helpful. Glucomannan can be really nasty stuff from everything I read about it (was thinking of trying it until I was "warned" to not touch the stuff). Chia has a bad reputation and my sisters friend wanted to get in more fiber so started using it, and she died. Yup, she did and that was the only thing she changed in her eating. So, I just don't have any good "thoughts" about those types of fiber that people add to their eating.

It's not the fiber that is the issue, but the form of the fiber. Hope that makes better sense???
shelley is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #587
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 9,210
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Thanks for adding to that. I did know, or have read for a long time to stay away from soy and also from the standpoint that the promotion of soy mostly came from an economic play by our government, but, back off of my soapbox on that one.

That is why I am so estatic over making my own mayo and ranch dressing, no soy!!!

Testing my new signature with daily goals, see if it works and what you all think. Does it help?
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #588
Major LCF Poster!
 
portcop01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Zay...thanks it is very rewarding job.ive always love older people...
portcop01 is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #589
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
at this point the discussion is just "you really should try to find a competent specialist!"

I will let you know if anything interesting turns up. I do feel rather exposed, telling all my problems and warts there... I am normally much more private. It's not comfortable, but something may click.

shelly, what problems do the fibers cause with hypothyroid? I am not FEELING like it's a problem, and I used to. and the blood work looks right...
Hi Ravenrose.....don't we all wish that we could find "competent specialists" where we live. Just doesn't happen which is why we are all on these forums!

Don't worry about feeling exposed.....I think we all feel that way, but this is such a growing group of people wanting to "learn" and get healthy. So, we do learn from others experiences and comments.

Sorry that I must have really "phrased" that comment about fiber and hypothyroid incorrectly. I'll repeat...it's NOT the fiber that is the issue, it's the "form" of the fiber, specifically flax, glucomannan and I think chia. Those of us that are on thyroid meds know that SOY is the enemy!!!!! :-)
shelley is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #590
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Thanks for adding to that. I did know, or have read for a long time to stay away from soy and also from the standpoint that the promotion of soy mostly came from an economic play by our government, but, back off of my soapbox on that one.

That is why I am so estatic over making my own mayo and ranch dressing, no soy!!!

Testing my new signature with daily goals, see if it works and what you all think. Does it help?
OK smarty pants!!! How you do put things below your signature. That is most helpful for us to not have to keep notes and go back to previous posts. Good job! Share how you are so smart in doing that please!!!
shelley is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #591
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,664
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Sorry that I must have really "phrased" that comment about fiber and hypothyroid incorrectly. I'll repeat...it's NOT the fiber that is the issue, it's the "form" of the fiber, specifically flax, glucomannan and I think chia. Those of us that are on thyroid meds know that SOY is the enemy!!!!! :-)
Well, I do avoid soy and have for years, though I consumed a good deal of it during my vegetarian "healthy eating" decades! LOL

I just wonder about those three things. Eating so low carb, they are very dear to me... is it the soluble fiber that's the issue?
ravenrose is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #592
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
zay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: DET
Posts: 3,828
Gallery: zay
WOE: low cal/low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Zay...thanks it is very rewarding job.ive always love older people...

Me too I have a special place in my heart for them. They deserve so much love and attention and are often forgotten at the end of their lives. My husband always tells me "you love old people" In fact, when I was trying to figure out a subject for my personal narrative I'm writing, he suggested that subject.


Bless you PC! It's so nice you are doing what you love. So many take on a job like when it really isn't in their heart.
zay is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #593
Senior LCF Member
 
theLossgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 941
Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post

This morning I tested again, and again, LO. HOW DISAPPOINTING! After nearly a week of about 30 grams of protein and 10 grams of carbs a day, disappointing.

My weight has been fluctuating a lot this past week too, which it will at my weight, I know that. But I was up four pounds from my lowest at one point, so it wasn't like I'm losing fast...

On the almost all fat days, my hunger is pretty bad. I only had the appetite suppression thing two days out of all of this.

I could try a couple weeks on 100% fat, I suppose, but it is very difficult. I am afraid that even if I manage to get into ketosis I will slip out as soon as I eat anything else. I think I would need a laxative of some sort too, and I hate using those things.

Do you find fiber is a plus or a problem when eating the NK way? Would I be better off trying the laxatives rather than flax/chia/oat fiber? I have been using glucomannan some too.

Thanks for listening.
I am so sorry, Raven. You sound so frustrated, and understandably so. Red is kind of our resident expert here, so I'm sure he has some good advice for you. My humble opinion is that you are focusing on keeping your protein too low. It's not about eating as little protein as you can; it's about eating the right amount of protein for YOUR body. You keep your carbs low already, so fat will naturally fill in the rest. You didn't mention how many calories you eat, I think. There has to be a deficit, but you can't be hungry. I have found that with this WOE, going hungry can actually cause a gain on the scales sometimes!

As for your fiber problem, take magnesium supplements. They will naturally regulate you. Red told me about it and now I swear by them, and I eat very very little fiber.

Hang in there, be patient (I know it's hard), and you'll get that scale moving again in no time!
__________________
deborah
Befores and After: http://www.bluemelon.com/thelossgirl12/
theLossgirl is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #594
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
Well, I do avoid soy and have for years, though I consumed a good deal of it during my vegetarian "healthy eating" decades! LOL

I just wonder about those three things. Eating so low carb, they are very dear to me... is it the soluble fiber that's the issue?
OK...I'll try again. It has nothing to do with fiber....whether it's veggie, fruit, soluble or insoluble. It has to do with what the item is. Flax is like SOY. Bad. Glucommanan was told to me by the health food store owner who has 2 celiac sprue kids (allergic to gluten) that he won't carry it in the store due to the dangers.

I'm no professional, not in the medical profession, etc., but I have just been told to consider those things to be poison in my body. So I do. If they work for you and you're happy, then that's superb!

It's like my sunflower seed butter that I was so excited about...reading rave reviews about it, making fat bombs with it instead of almond butter, and then being "stalled" and finding out that the fat is the PUFA type which is does NOT say on the label.

So, we all have to "learn" what is good/not good, and sometimes what works for some, doesn't work for others.

So, if you like the stuff....go for it! I'm not trying to talk you out of it at all. I'm just saying that my research and communications with others about them is not good "for me".
shelley is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #595
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,664
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
I am so sorry, Raven.
thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
My humble opinion is that you are focusing on keeping your protein too low.
it actually helped a lot at first. but I agree it's not doing that much now. I am just curious if I could get into ketosis at all, really. It is so much easier when that happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
As for your fiber problem, take magnesium supplements. They will naturally regulate you. Red told me about it and now I swear by them, and I eat very very little fiber.
I do take them and have for a long time. I get VERY constipated almost instantly without a good deal of insoluble fiber.
ravenrose is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #596
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 9,210
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
OK smarty pants!!! How you do put things below your signature. That is most helpful for us to not have to keep notes and go back to previous posts. Good job! Share how you are so smart in doing that please!!!
One of the few things I have figured out I still have not had time to work on changing my "old" photo to a new "older me" one.

Ok, upper left hand corner, see User Control Panel. Click on that and then on your left, about a third of the way down you will see Edit Signature. There you can add your name and or anything else you would like to have show up on your signature line each time you post. And, you can go in and change it at any time, like I go in each Monday and post my new weight.

Try it and see if I have explained it easily enough.
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #597
Senior LCF Member
 
theLossgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 941
Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Raven, I'm just curious why you think you are not in ketosis? Is it because the pee sticks aren't turning purple, because I have read that is not always reliable. Your carbs seem so low that I can't see how you couldn't be?

Also, how much mag are you taking? I take about 550 grams a day. I was taking 950 but that was working TOO well. 550 seems perfect.
theLossgirl is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #598
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,664
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Raven, I'm just curious why you think you are not in ketosis? Is it because the pee sticks aren't turning purple, because I have read that is not always reliable. Your carbs seem so low that I can't see how you couldn't be?

Also, how much mag are you taking? I take about 550 grams a day. I was taking 950 but that was working TOO well. 550 seems perfect.
it's the blood ketone monitoring, Lossgirl. that is scientifically accurate. I will check my dose on the magnesium. I know it's bad to get the dose out of kilter with the other minerals though.
ravenrose is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #599
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,452
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Speaking of magnesium...

Dr. Robbins is a fan of 2xRDA. Google 'LLVLC-ep-602-morley-robbins' for this very interesting podcast.
reddarin is offline  
Old 10-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #600
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 9,210
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
In an effort to save some calories, I just fixed my diet root beer with with 1 teaspoon of HWC, still very good and helps out a little. All my fat to help get rid of my fat, sure fattens up my number of calories
Buffy45 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:34 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.