Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Hello NK dieters. I, too, eat 80/15/5 ratios and enjoy following this thread. Test ketones occasionally and bgs multiple times daily.
Hi!

Quote:
I am an avid reader of all the gurus and have read everything out there and feel comfortable that this is a healthy way to eat especially for those with broken carbohydrate metabolisms. A little concerned if HF is good for heart patients though - my DH just had triple bypass surgery and his Dr reccomends a low fat diet for him so I am now torn with deciding what is healthiest for him. Anyone with experience there?
No. But if your husband is truly LC... Healthy LC fats are the best thing for him. The science has proven that there is *less* saturated fat in the blood stream of a LC'r eating sat fats. I was just listening to a podcast and they brought that up. Dang if I can remember which podcast though. If I think of it I'll post to let you know.

Would it be possible to find a doctor that endorses LC?

For sure there is one caveat to high fat - LC'rs only. If you aren't LC then high fat is deadly.

The good thing, for your husband in particular, is that a high fat LC diet is much, much better for the brain than a low fat or very low fat (which is what that doc wants I bet).

I hope someone chimes in with hands on experience though. Great question!

Quote:

And Darin, I agree the kindle doesn't work for reference books!
Talk about disappointed lol. I'd bought several books to study and you know how easy that is to do. Click, click, click, click. Now I *have* to buy the physical version of a few of them because I'd like to have them on hand and I'd like to reread with a marker and a spiral.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Food Log

New thread so I'll give a little blurb to tonight's log post.

A lot of people were curious about how we were getting to our macro ratios and grams. So several of us post our menus for the day. I started posting my food logs and graphs to let anyone interested see what I was eating and how much of what and all the stuff the log shows. I also post my daily menus. Usually I do it in the evening once I've sort of closed the book on the log for the day. Sometimes I don't get it posted that evening but if that happens it will be one of my first posts the next day. I also post the numbers/macros for the day.

If you have any questions about the log or anything feel free to ask.

Calories: 1,811

Fat: 150
Pro: 94
Car: 31

73/21/6

Breakfast: CO & coffee, eggs, cheese, bacon.
Lunch: Broccoli, CO, chicken, jalapeno, sour cream.
Dinner: Well, just the pickles. That was a lot of broccoli for lunch.
Attached Images
File Type: png graph_10012012.png (20.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg log_10012012.jpg (34.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #33
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/157/130
WOE: (80/15/5) keto family!
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
reddarin is that ****** that you are using? I need a good macro counter...

Another question (I also posted this on the nk thread)
I lose weight so easily and fast on the fat fast (atkins fat fast)
and i'm at a stand still on induction (atkins)
So what I was thinking is fat fast scaled back a little, add some protein and calories? is this about the same?
I have been doing low carb for years and all of a sudden im lost lol
Old 10-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
reddarin is that ****** that you are using? I need a good macro counter...

Another question (I also posted this on the nk thread)
I lose weight so easily and fast on the fat fast (atkins fat fast)
and i'm at a stand still on induction (atkins)
So what I was thinking is fat fast scaled back a little, add some protein and calories? is this about the same?
I have been doing low carb for years and all of a sudden im lost lol
Hi Kerry

Yes it is ******

I don't think it is the best one around but it is the one I landed on a year ago and all of my history is there so I work around the nuisance issues that should have been fixed by them a bajillion years ago

I take it that you do not, or have not so far, logged your food or tracked your macros?

If you are asking if adding a little protein and carbs in is what we are doing and what the NK thread is doing the answer is no, I'm afraid not. There is a bit more to it than that.

I'd be happy to help you get started on how we do it on this thread. It is a bit different from how they do it on the NK thread although the result, I hope, is the same - a state of nutritional ketosis and weight loss. They are very helpful over there too

By the way, unless you are eating fat as fatty protein, that fat fast is not a good way to continue for extended periods.

Do you take supplements?

Last edited by reddarin; 10-01-2012 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: Forgot to say hi.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #35
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Hi Kerry

Yes it is ******

I don't think it is the best one around but it is the one I landed on a year ago and all of my history is there so I work around the nuisance issues that should have been fixed by them a bajillion years ago

I take it that you do not, or have not so far, logged your food or tracked your macros?

If you are asking if adding a little protein and carbs in is what we are doing and what the NK thread is doing the answer is no, I'm afraid not. There is a bit more to it than that.

I'd be happy to help you get started on how we do it on this thread. It is a bit different from how they do it on the NK thread although the result, I hope, is the same - a state of nutritional ketosis and weight loss. They are very helpful over there too

By the way, unless you are eating fat as fatty protein, that fat fast is not a good way to continue for extended periods.

Do you take supplements?
I'm trying to compare macros, how the fat fast is about 90% fat so in my mind it would be scale back the fat, add a little more protein, and a little ruffage lol

I'm guessing I need to put a little more into it then that like figuring out how much protein I should be eating a day etc.

I do take suppliments
I take omega 3, magnesium, st johns wort, vitamin B stress tab, vitamin C, Iron, green tea, vitamin d. (melatonin at night), and garlic pill
I usually take a kelp tablet, and 5htp but money has been a little tight so when I ran out I was not quite able to reorder just yet.
Fit into my Guess Black Skinny Jeans
"i may pause, but I don't stop"
Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I'm trying to compare macros, how the fat fast is about 90% fat so in my mind it would be scale back the fat, add a little more protein, and a little ruffage lol

I'm guessing I need to put a little more into it then that like figuring out how much protein I should be eating a day etc.

I do take suppliments
I take omega 3, magnesium, st johns wort, vitamin B stress tab, vitamin C, Iron, green tea, vitamin d. (melatonin at night), and garlic pill
I usually take a kelp tablet, and 5htp but money has been a little tight so when I ran out I was not quite able to reorder just yet.
Well, the thing is you have to eat a minimum amount of protein, which is always an individual's particular number, to keep from losing lean body mass.

So if you are eating 90% fat and still eating in your protein range, then you are doing fine. For example, bacon - lots of protein and lots of fat.

Your goal weight is 130 so your protein range should fall somewhere between 47g and 106g.

But, yes, to directly answer, I think that is right - cut back on fat a little and add some protein. Fatty protein is best. Depends on what sort of calorie range you are shooting for too.

You don't need roughage. Fat is far superior for regularity. Google how roughage does its job sometime and you'll agree lol.

How much magnesium are you taking? I take about 2x the RDA myself. Worked up to it real slow though.

You are very close to goal weight?

If that is the case, and I apologize for not noticing that in your stats with my last post, then as long as you are getting in your minimum protein then the fat fast is fine to take off that last 5 pounds or so.

You've done a really awesome job at losing weight!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Thanks for the link. I was up in weight this morning, and lost it--mentally! I don't usually, for 9 years bounce more than three lbs unless on vacation and not paying close attention. But this was a shock and I decided to "calmly" find my body fat, been seeing others do that....first FIVE online were awful, I couldn't believe it. I have new scale, new measure spoons, and actually got on Fit Day to start logging this stuff. Been on a log haul with steriods-asthma for 30 days...time to take charge again.

Last edited by SouthernGirl61; 10-01-2012 at 06:48 PM..
Old 10-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Your goal weight is 130 so your protein range should fall somewhere between 47g and 106g.
Darin, my goal weight is also 130, but when I did the calculations it said my minimum for protein was 58.8 grams (up to 97.5 grams). How did you come up with that calculation???

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Kerry, what sort of fat are you eating to get to 90%? Anything polyunsaturated could be what stops you from losing when you go off the fat fast.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Welcome all the new people here!!
Went to that meeting tonight at a steak house,I ate a can of sardines before I left,so I did not eat anything there.ya...I will be little busy the next 3 days so be able to post menu but I will get back on track Thursday.
I did great today
B-2- small eggs 3 bacon--- coffee tbs co and hwc
L- 2.5 salmon
D- can sardines
S-2 fat bombs.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Here is one from the HHS website:

Calculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

[edit: Wups. You asked for a tracker and I just linked a calculator. I think most of the food logging sites do BMI tracking too. I know ****** does.]
Meant to reply to this and did a general reply, long day...TY!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #42
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Hi!

No. But if your husband is truly LC... Healthy LC fats are the best thing for him. The science has proven that there is *less* saturated fat in the blood stream of a LC'r eating sat fats. I was just listening to a podcast and they brought that up. Dang if I can remember which podcast though. If I think of it I'll post to let you know.

If you do remember that podcast, please tell us. One of the things on my blood tests is that cholesterol is too high for diabetic and doctor wants me on Lipitor NOW
Old 10-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #43
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
Hi Buffy! Glad you had a nice time and welcome back!

Check out Jimmy Moore show#
618: Kent Rieske Says Low-Carb Can Reverse Heart Disease

Kent is a mechanical engineer. I haven't listened yet.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Darin, my goal weight is also 130, but when I did the calculations it said my minimum for protein was 58.8 grams (up to 97.5 grams). How did you come up with that calculation???

Thanks!
Oh, I created a spread sheet so I just plug in the goal weight and it spits out the protein ranges for two different formulas.

The one that resulted in 47g is ((x/2.2)*.8) - this is from the exercise site I found with google and this is the one that seems to track pretty closely to what Phinney has said. The range is set by using from 0.8 to 1.5 as number to multiply by.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
If you do remember that podcast, please tell us. One of the things on my blood tests is that cholesterol is too high for diabetic and doctor wants me on Lipitor NOW
I'd bet money he didn't do the test to determine particle size. That one tells you *which* particles are high.

There is a podcast about that. Let me look for it.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I am pretty sure it was the Phinney one on long stalls but I didn't make a note of the time location. 'LLVLC_PhinneyLongStalls'

But this one I'm certain mentions the particle size issue with cholesterol tests. Dr. Runyon has type 1 and found LC because of his disease and has put it in remission with LC. 'LLVLC-ep-593-dr-keith-runyan_diabetes'.

But I know I've read the particle size thing at one of the LC dr. blogs. I'll see if I can find it for you Buffy.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Hey Sweets! Both parents had bypasses, mother had it three times! Her cardiologist put her on the awful VLC Non Fat, not even Low Fat until they could not control her cholestrol and she ate huge sugar. Long story over many years, but he finally went with South Beach after discussing with Dr Agaston. She moved to LC, dropped her cholestrol...she got it all. She still has a sugar tooth, but oh well. I know many docs now who go with LC, not Atkins (yet) but they are on the road recently in South Beach format, some still think you can blend whole grains in, at moderation. there were some recent articles out on this subject, if you google cardiologist, unnecesary stents, diet,inflamation...you will likely find it, can't remember his name. It's the inflamation is the link they are admitting, not high cholestrol. go that path, Dr Al Sears has great info too.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
D- can sardines
Old 10-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Buffy - I would do anything to NOT take Lipitor. Google the dangers for women taking Lipitor.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Buffy - I would do anything to NOT take Lipitor. Google the dangers for women taking Lipitor.
I agree. I haven't heard any of the big LC docs endorse statins and most speak against it with passion.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

I hope Christina is doing okay. We haven't heard from her in a few days
Old 10-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #52
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zay View Post
Hi Buffy! Glad you had a nice time and welcome back!

Check out Jimmy Moore show#
618: Kent Rieske Says Low-Carb Can Reverse Heart Disease

Kent is a mechanical engineer. I haven't listened yet.
Thanks, will do
Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #53
Big Yapper!!!!

Finally think I have it figured out. When my cholesterol was too high a few years ago was when I started mega doses of fish oil, did not fill the statin drug he wrote, next blood work was fine. Finally this evening remembered that I had changed to the liquid form and had gotten very lax about taking it every day. Will put that back in place, not take the Lipitor and see results in 3 months! Glad I remembered that.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #54
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

I was eating cream cheese, or half a can of tuna with 2T of mayo (on the fat fast)

I take 1000mg of mag a day (helps keep me regular lol)
Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I was eating cream cheese, or half a can of tuna with 2T of mayo (on the fat fast)

I take 1000mg of mag a day (helps keep me regular lol)
Is that mayo made with soy oil? Most of them are.

When you come off of the FF and stall what foods are you adding?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #56
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Quote:
Is that mayo made with soy oil? Most of them are.

When you come off of the FF and stall what foods are you adding?
mostly salads im adding and more protein.

I sometimes make my own mayo (eggs/olive oil/vinegar/mustard)
when im lazy I use the store bought crap..
Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
mostly salads im adding and more protein.

I sometimes make my own mayo (eggs/olive oil/vinegar/mustard)
when im lazy I use the store bought crap..
The only thing I can think of to cause that is adding too much more protein. All of us on the two NK threads seem to have experienced that problem with too much protein causing a stall. It doesn't take very much meat to add up to a lot of protein. Especially for you with such a low range.

At least you know for sure how to stop losing and begin maintenance

If you buy the store mayo double check to make sure it doesn't have polyunsaturated oils.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ebeads
Stats: yikes/tryingmybest/ihopeihope
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart May 10,2012
Hi!

Major lurker here ... could you tell me if there is a "good" mayo that can be purchased ready made. I have been eating the store mayo with soybean oil, UTOH!! I love mayo, but am not much into making my own .Thank you !
Old 10-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Morning all,to early for me but got to be at work 6.45 this is the last day shift ill go to 3-11 Thursday ?

Red you don't like sardines..these ones is skinless and boneless yummmm.see y'all this after noon..Buffy try any thing but try not to take meds they are so bad for you!,, hugs your way!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:17 AM   #60
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
Have a good morning PC!
Closed Thread