Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #541
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
What are you planning to do when you hit goal? If you don't know you better think of something, because you're going to be there VERY soon!
heh

My plan, loosely formed back at 265, was to have my hair cut to spell out RED but that plan has lost some of its appeal as I approach goal.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #542
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm trying hard not to think of seeing the 180s on the scale tomorrow because ya'll know how the Scale God frowns on that sort of forward thinking. But it is like someone suddenly saying Don't think about elephants!!! and all you can think about is elephants.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:59 AM   #543
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Sounds tasty

Is a serving 1T?
Not in my eyes, but yes, probably so for most people.

When ever I create a recipe I create it in my phone app nutrition counter with the weights in grams of each ingredient and then when I eat some, I can add what I use in grams to my daily tracking. When I make it again, I can just adjust any weights within the recipe that might be different that time around and still keep accurate counts.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:08 AM   #544
Blabbermouth!!!

I bookmarked the post link for those recipes for further exploration when I get to where I am up for tinkering around with stuff in the kitchen. Both look like excellent base recipes that'd be easy to customize in all sorts of ways.

Have any of ya'll read 'How To Cook Without A Book' by Pam Anderson? it isn't LC at all, of course, but of all the cooking related books I've read it was really the one that had the most impact on me.

It isn't for you people that are already excellent cooks or have been cooking for ages for your family I think.

But if you are just starting out or kitchen-challenged it is a singular book in that category. I wouldn't rush out and buy it necessarily but for sure get a library copy and if you like it then for sure buy it. What a wonderful book.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:15 AM   #545
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
heh

My plan, loosely formed back at 265, was to have my hair cut to spell out RED but that plan has lost some of its appeal as I approach goal.
Don't want to be a party pooper, but um, that is NOT a good idea, lol! I know; you could get a big tattoo on someplace noticeable, like your neck, that says RED!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #546
Blabbermouth!!!

It may be such a shocker to reach goal that I end up like Jim Carrey writing blue all over my face.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #547
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It may be such a shocker to reach goal that I end up like Jim Carrey writing blue all over my face.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #548
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm glad you brought it up though Deborah. I haven't really given it much thought since I'd been stuck at 205 for so many months.

I know other people have done threads about what to do once you hit goal. Do you have any particular recommendations? Or thread recommendations?

My plan, loosely, was to just actively add more calories to stabilize my weight loss. I'm wheat-free and I think the carb ladder thing is why so many people write create "I'm back and restarting" threads. So I have zero plans on ever adding carbs back for the sake of adding carbs back. I'm pretty easy to please food-wise thank goodness as far as variety goes.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #549
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
TA DA! Here I am this morning, it is weight tracking day and I am a happy camper. Also, I just started using the tape measure last Monday, smacking myself now for not doing it at the beginning but I have started and stopped dieting so many times that I kind of gave that up. Anyway, had a loss again this week, see my siggy and lost 1 1/2 inches off my waist just in the last week.

The last 2 days were pretty much just fat filled days, I have to say they were a little hard, especially yesterday as I really wanted some more to eat. Not too hungry, but just a little. But, a day like that here and there will not hurt me at all and can be a boost. Today I might eat a little less fat, I was at 85% the past 2 days, so that I can eat more protein, which I was low on. I haven't weighed this low since I can't really remember when, it has been over 10 years I know.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #550
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
TA DA! Here I am this morning, it is weight tracking day and I am a happy camper. Also, I just started using the tape measure last Monday, smacking myself now for not doing it at the beginning but I have started and stopped dieting so many times that I kind of gave that up. Anyway, had a loss again this week, see my siggy and lost 1 1/2 inches off my waist just in the last week.

The last 2 days were pretty much just fat filled days, I have to say they were a little hard, especially yesterday as I really wanted some more to eat. Not too hungry, but just a little. But, a day like that here and there will not hurt me at all and can be a boost. Today I might eat a little less fat, I was at 85% the past 2 days, so that I can eat more protein, which I was low on. I haven't weighed this low since I can't really remember when, it has been over 10 years I know.

Hooray!!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #551
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zay View Post
I'm getting a little discouraged. I'm really trying to get into NK but seem to be really hungry. My daily calories are over 2000 calories per day. How do you all stay satisfied? I want to lose some major fat. I was 331 (2011) last summer and am down to 294 now. At my weight I should/could be losing fast. Any suggestions or tips for me?
Zay, take Red up on his offer to PM with him and he will really get you going in the right direction. Pay attention to what he recommends calorie wise and then of course the 80/15/5. I think a person can still lose on the high end of their calorie range, and you have to decide if you want to do that and lose slowly or pull them down to the low end of your range and see a little more movement on the scale, or, a combo of both. We are here for you and will help in any way possible. I have learned so much just in my 5 weeks of doing this. Fat is really what keeps you full and saitisfied but it doesn't always satisfy some of our emotional needs of wanting to eat, getting comfort from food, etc. Not sure which or any of these things might apply to you.

Post a menu for a few days and let us see what we can tweak. Also, are you tracking every single thing you eat and keeping a close eye. That is critical. I had started taking liquid fish oil again and had forgot to track that, it was adding about 200 calories a day that I wasn't accounting for!! Just that can slow you down.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #552
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh and Zay, not sure of your age, female/male, etc. but that all factors in as well. And, lots of women only can lose 2 weeks out of any given month, those darn hormones can really mess with weight loss. Slow and steady is good although it can be very frustrating. Another thing to focus on besides weight loss is how you are feeling. DD and I both quickly started feeling so much better that it was a great incentive to keep going.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #553
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
WOE: low cal/low carb
thanks Buffy I am in the process of PM'ing Red. You all are just great!

for you all
Old 10-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #554
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Congrats Buffy, your numbers keep looking great. Shrimp sounds wonderful. I love a roulemalade sauce, will try that with the home made mayo. Glad you brought this up.
Looked up the sauce, it sounds great and I am sure I have had the LA version of it.

You have done an awesome job on your weight loss, share your story with us!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #555
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaP View Post
Oh, that reminds me of my all time favorite ranch dressing and it doesn't have mayo or buttermilk... it's from Maria's blog (google Maria Health blog... best low carb blog ever!) This dressing is crazy thick and makes the best dip ever, too. I just love it and takes just a few minutes in a blender or Magic Bullet.

Ranch Dressing

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup chicken or beef broth
1/2 tsp dried chives
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried dill weed
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp Celtic salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper

In a blender or a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese (my note: softened blends best), broth, chives, parsley, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving (it will thicken up as it rests). Makes 12 servings.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
Traditional Ranch = 153 calories, 1.1 carbs, 0 fiber
KRAFT Fat Free Ranch = 50 calories, 11 carbs, 0 fiber
"Healthified" Ranch = 66 calories, 0.75 carbs, 0 fiber
Ella, I just printed this off, sounds yummy! I like her blog, very good recipes.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #556
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
My numbers for today were much more reasonable!!! 1344 calories. 123.7 fat (80%) 46.8 protein (14%) and 15.3 carbs (4%). Can't wait to see the scale tomorrow.

My cold seems to be worse, so I'm heading to bed early tonight. Thanks Buffy for the Accu-chekCompact Plus meter as the one you like. It was #3 on the list of Consumer Reports for accuracy, with Accu-check Aviva being #1 and Freestyle Freedom Lite #2 and Freestyle Lite #4. So, I figured it would be Accu check or Freestyle for me when I feel like spending more $$$. Not right now. Am mostly concerned with ketones at the moment...and the scale! Sleep well everyone!
Hope your cold is better and your numbers yesterday were really good, but like me, you again were a little low on protein. We will work on that today, or at least me, and you when you get to feeling better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patlaf View Post
I had a real light bulb moment this morning. I've been thinking, why does the major keep posting his log if it's impossible to read? This morning the clouds parted, the sun shone through, and i clicked on it, and whaddyaknow, it's legible. When God gave out brains I thought he said pains and said I didn't want any.

Buffy, did you get a good night's sleep with no cramps? I hope so. I'm going to try your mayonnaise recipe. I love mayonnaise and I have some lovely shrimp and a ripe avocado just begging for it.

Pat
I did sleep better, really paid attention to water intake yesterday and no cramps last night.

Quote:
Weigh-in this morning ... ... ... 190.6!

I think I am finally to the point where I will start putting both feet on the scale.

That is a pretty shocking new low for me. I really think yesterday's scale reading, which was flat and matched the day before, was a one-off and today reflects the loss of both days rather than an overnight zap.

5.6 pounds from goal. Gosh. I might get to eat that 86% Ghirardelli bar before it gets freezer burn after all. I think I was at 201 when I bought it last month. It was gonna be my celebratory Onderland treat but I held off because of my awful bounce/stall experience months ago.

Wow Red, we are soooo proud of you and how lucky for us that we landed in here with you as our leader, man, you have done your research and even my DD says to thank you for the help you have reached out and given to her. I tell her that you and I talk about her

5 lbs to goal and the way you have gone about this, and everything you have learned along the journey makes me think that you are going to be one of the ones who does maintainence very well. You seem very in control. Oh, and that is one thing my DD keeps saying, over and over. "I am in control now"!! She says she just felt so out of control when she was eating so many carbs.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #557
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I'm trying hard not to think of seeing the 180s on the scale tomorrow because ya'll know how the Scale God frowns on that sort of forward thinking. But it is like someone suddenly saying Don't think about elephants!!! and all you can think about is elephants.
Just don't let that elephant get on or near your scales!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #558
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Anyway, had a loss again this week, see my siggy and lost 1 1/2 inches off my waist just in the last week.
Fantastic!!!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:55 AM   #559
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Fantastic!!!!!
Me wants to look like you
Old 10-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #560
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Wow Red, we are soooo proud of you and how lucky for us that we landed in here with you as our leader, man, you have done your research and even my DD says to thank you for the help you have reached out and given to her. I tell her that you and I talk about her

5 lbs to goal and the way you have gone about this, and everything you have learned along the journey makes me think that you are going to be one of the ones who does maintainence very well. You seem very in control. Oh, and that is one thing my DD keeps saying, over and over. "I am in control now"!! She says she just felt so out of control when she was eating so many carbs.
Goal reaching is kinda scary heh

I agree with DD. The sense of control is so amazing!

None of what I've written or achieved, I think, would have been possible without Kristn's NK thread. I had never heard of NK before and had no idea about the importance of controlling protein. Although the way I've pursued the NK approach has been significantly different from how she's approached it, without her we'd all be stalled contemplating purchasing those belly jiggling belt machines from the I Love Lucy days of nutrition. I can't thank her enough for taking the time to start the NK thread and share what she'd learned. And, of course, the other very thoughtful and very helpful people posting in that thread.

So. Thank you so much Kristn!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #561
Big Yapper!!!!

You are so right Red, when I started thinking about returning to LC, I first came to LC Friends, well, actually I never left, I am active in a thread of several of us who have just become friends. But, I started looking around and thank heavens Kristn's NK thread jumped out at me, I was so interested and since I had not had that good of luck losing on LC in the past, was all over a "new" approach. And, it made sense to me why I should cut back on the protein and the calories. Then, a week or so in, I ran into you and between the two of you, I am just chugging along! Moon aligned that week!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #562
Big Yapper!!!!

Here are the nutritonal numbers for the ranch dressing I posted. This is for 2 T.

Calories 116
Fat 12.4
Carb 1
Protein 0.6
Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #563
Big Yapper!!!!

I do have one friend who is pretty heavy and she asked me more about our WOE yesterday, I had told her I was back to LC and she asked how it was going, soooo, I told her some more. She did atkins way back and did well on it but has pretty much forgotten it. She came by and I had her taste the pecan muffins, the pumpkin bake, the mayo, a PB fudge I had made and the chocolate cheesecake thing. She was amazed that I could eat those things, then when she wanted ideas and I started in on use HWC, cream cheese, sour cream, all the veggies we can have, she was like what , you're kidding , we can eat that . Lol. I told her to think about it, then if she was going to start, just get back on atkins to get started and then we would tweak from there. 50/50 chance she will actually do it but that is ok, has to be up to her and on her terms. I will help her all I can if she decides to do it.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #564
Blabbermouth!!!

I hope she comes on board
Old 10-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #565
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Hi all my friends here missed y'all.i have 2 days off...setting looking at fire in fire place ooooooo so nice...

Great lost Red!,Buffy your doing great too.all the new people are learning so much here so glad this site is taking off....

Well back down this morning to 175... We're i was last week,so no lost or gain for week

Yesterday
B- fat bomb coffee with hwc co...I just love my co.....
Brunch- 4.5oz steak little salad.cofee with hwc and co
S- fat bomb.

I really only had 1 meal but did have my cal from hwc and co.
What y'all think..maybe on days I have to work ill eat like this..

I don't no why lately I feel fat!! I am not. Eating any thing off plan...
Old 10-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #566
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Hi all my friends here missed y'all.i have 2 days off...setting looking at fire in fire place ooooooo so nice...

Great lost Red!,Buffy your doing great too.all the new people are learning so much here so glad this site is taking off....

Well back down this morning to 175... We're i was last week,so no lost or gain for week

Yesterday
S- fat bomb.

Hey! Maintaining may be a bummer but it is a WIN in my book Missy!

Looks good as a work day plan

I'm sure you're just getting acclimated to the new job. I've always hated being the new person at work. Hang in there
Old 10-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #567
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Yes it is.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #568

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
This is probably too long for this thread, I apologize, but I wanted you all to see it.

As you can see I lost 120 lb low carbing, in about 20 months. I have stuck to the same plan for 3 years, 4 months. After the first 20 months I stalled, then eventually regained nearly 30 lb over the course of the next 20 months, again, still eating the plan that let me lose that much weight. (basically 20 grams or less net carbs, 80 grams protein, and less than half the calories the calculators say I should need. I am just over 6' tall and 59 years old.) The regain doesn't surprise me, I know our bodies get quite clever hormonally trying to stop and reverse that much weight loss.

The last four months I have been fooling around with different things, starving myself at times (not NO food, I can't do that, but low calories,) limiting carbs more, limiting protein more, eating almost nothing but coconut oil at times...

I have lost 20+ of the 30 regained pounds, still not at my lowest weight, but better. I am still just over the line in morbidly obese, which is not good, of course. That's why I am working so hard at this... it's not a vanity "last 20 lb" thing.

I have severe type II diabetes and take Metformin, Symlin, and both long and short acting insulin. My insulin needs are around 50 units a day total even when eating very little carbs or protein. I am also hypothryroid and take T3. I had trouble over the summer a year ago, but I have been normalized since then and feel fine, no longer freezing all the time and just wanting to sleep. I thought the low thyroid was why I regained that weight, but it didn't come off when I got better, so I guess not. at least I didn't KEEP regaining, and that is a blessing.

So, I got the Nova Max Ketone monitor. I tested in the afternoon right away and got .2. I tested a few days later and got .3. I was disappointed, because I'd been eating the basic NK diet (though at the way low end for protein for my height, about 60 grams a day) and thought I was doing better than that. It took a month or so for me to get more strips, and during that time I was very rigorous. I kept protein under 60, usually under 50, and carbs 10-15. I ate a lot of coconut oil.

When I got the strips last week, I tested in the early evening and got 1.0. Not exactly heaven in terms of ketosis, but better than before! I was happy. But that was after a lunch of a coconut oil fat bomb and I now believe that was testing those ketones and not ones I made myself. I spent 5 days eating almost all fat, really working it, and tested first thing Saturday. LO, meaning <0.1! I wondered if it was a meter malfunction, but didn't want to use another strip that day. This morning I tested again, and again, LO. HOW DISAPPOINTING! After nearly a week of about 30 grams of protein and 10 grams of carbs a day, disappointing.

My weight has been fluctuating a lot this past week too, which it will at my weight, I know that. But I was up four pounds from my lowest at one point, so it wasn't like I'm losing fast...

On the almost all fat days, my hunger is pretty bad. I only had the appetite suppression thing two days out of all of this.

I do take other meds, and perhaps there is something weird going on there. But I think it's just metabolism. As I have said elsewhere, clearly the human body can perform gluconeogenesis on its own proteins even if none are eaten, so there is no reason to think my body can't find protein to convert to glucose one way or the other, at this point.

There is no reason to be discouraged, just facts that I need to deal with. I am noting all this since some of you are so well read in this area and I would really appreciate it if you could message me with suggestions for blog posts, books, etc., that might shed light on my problem. My endocrinologist and primary care physician are not helpful in this stuff. They are not actively obstructionist, but also not cutting edge. I am thinking about emailing Phinney/Volek and whining, but I doubt they would do much either. They seem to believe that anyone who can't do well on their plan is not compliant.

I could try a couple weeks on 100% fat, I suppose, but it is very difficult. I am afraid that even if I manage to get into ketosis I will slip out as soon as I eat anything else. I think I would need a laxative of some sort too, and I hate using those things.

Do you find fiber is a plus or a problem when eating the NK way? Would I be better off trying the laxatives rather than flax/chia/oat fiber? I have been using glucomannan some too.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by ravenrose; 10-08-2012 at 09:00 AM..
Old 10-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #569
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post

Yesterday
S- fat bomb.

I first read that as "Get Lost Red"

How long have you been at 175 PC? When I first lose weight, I feel soooo skinny, then go for a spell where I feel normal, then I get to where I feel fat again if I stay at that weight too long and still need to lose more. It has been years since I was at a really normal weight but I remberer even then feeling like I was fat, will be anxious to see how normal weight feels when a person is doing LC, b/c part of high carb normal weight is still that puffiness.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #570
Blabbermouth!!!

I'll PM you here in a minute RR.
Closed Thread