Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #451
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Late good morning everyone! I slept a little late and then was visiting with DGS who spent the night, I thought he would sleep late but he still beat me up.

I take vit D3, 5000 units per doctors orders. Having blood work done every 3-4 months for my diabetes allows them to keep a close eye on all my levels, like in May, they added potassium which I was low in. I had them check it again when I just went in as I am now having some leg cramps with NK, but my levels came back fine, I am still supplementing what he prescribed in May. So, I need to add the broth in daily, or more salt. I want to try the broth with butter like someone described.

Red, good job in seeing the scale not bounce like they usually do after a new low! Win win.

Pat, how many daughters do you have? I have 3 and I have to say, they are so supportive of me with my weight loss efforts, they each struggle with it in their own way. They are also all hypothyroid like me. For 2 of them, if they get their thyroid meds at just the right dose, with exercise and careful eating, they maintain their weight fairly easily. My third DD takes completely after me and has been so carb addicted for years that she has about 40-50 lbs to lose. She is the one doing this with me and I really think we are finally finding a woe that we both can sustain and lose weight on. DS only nags me if he sees or knows I am not eating a healthy diet b/c he worries about my diabetes, etc.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #452
Big Yapper!!!!

Shelley, yikers, yes! The calories in fat really add up fast so thank heavens it is so good at filling us up. I was stuffed all evening yesterday from my pacman 85/10/5 piechart!!! I went ahead and planned out my menu today, this time making sure to get my protein in but still aiming for a really high fat day and going to keep it super simple today, no treats other than my soda float.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #453
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Yes it is red lots of engery,,,,no sickness...I really and truly believe food is killing us!!
In trying to help the economy of agriculture, I am afraid our government has really messed this nation up in what they have recommended as the right diet for us. Wow, when you look around anymore, you either see a small percentage of fit and healthy people, but lots of fat adults, fat children who do not look healthy. It is sad.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #454
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Buffy? Is something missing?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #455
Blabbermouth!!!

I used to think the agri-business conspiracy stuff was all a bunch of black helicopter nonsense.

But when you learn the facts behind the wheat industry, in particular, and that the Standard American Diet was based on politics not science it is clear that crony capitalism is in force and has been for decades. Scary stuff.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #456
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Buffy? Is something missing?
Well Red, thank you for noticing!!! I hit a new low today gang, down a lb from my weigh in on Monday!!! I took Red's advice and added the T of CO to dinner and in general got in a really high fat day. Me thinks he knows what he is talking about

Already planned out my menu for today with again, the high fat, the T of CO at dinner and today, getting the proper protein amount in.

Funny also, I didn't eat after dinner last night and I am still not really hungry yet this morning. I think today is going to be very easy to stay on track.

This is the one area that is slow going with my DD, she can't quite get her head around the fact that you can actually replace food with fat, she still is in the phase of working at just adding some more fat to her diet, and that is fine, it takes a while before you can take it all in.

And, in a way, I kind of taught her well as far as I knew then, a meal should consist of a meat, and a veggie, then of course we had a carb as well. She knows she has to give up the carb but it is hard to convince someone that we really don't need very much in the way of vegetables either.

Of course, I have LC'd on and off for 12 years and I am still learning!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #457
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Well Red, thank you for noticing!!! I hit a new low today gang, down a lb from my weigh in on Monday!!! I took Red's advice and added the T of CO to dinner and in general got in a really high fat day. Me thinks he knows what he is talking about

Already planned out my menu for today with again, the high fat, the T of CO at dinner and today, getting the proper protein amount in.

Funny also, I didn't eat after dinner last night and I am still not really hungry yet this morning. I think today is going to be very easy to stay on track.

This is the one area that is slow going with my DD, she can't quite get her head around the fact that you can actually replace food with fat, she still is in the phase of working at just adding some more fat to her diet, and that is fine, it takes a while before you can take it all in.

And, in a way, I kind of taught her well as far as I knew then, a meal should consist of a meat, and a veggie, then of course we had a carb as well. She knows she has to give up the carb but it is hard to convince someone that we really don't need very much in the way of vegetables either.

Of course, I have LC'd on and off for 12 years and I am still learning!
Hooray!!!!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #458
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh, one more thing. Another reason I planned out my menu for today, actually did it before bed last night, was to make sure I got all that good fat in but kept my calories low. That is an important key to this. I did Banta once in the past, if you don't know what it is, you can google but it is LC, very high fat. But, didn't work! hmmm, wonder why. Oh yes, my calories which I was tracking but not worrying about were sky high!!! Easy to do on high fat, although the high fat should kick in and suppress your appetite, a person can still easily go over the calories b/c fat dishes are sooooo yummy!

If you notice Red's calories, they are fairly low for a 6' 46 yo male, and we all know what kind of losses he has been having!

Party on
Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #459
Blabbermouth!!!

Yeah, 1500ish is pretty low. I do get hungry between morning CO/Coffee and when I finally eat but it isn't unmanageable and in a pinch I just eat a bunch of pickles to tide me over to when *I* want to eat. Now, there is a feat I could never have done before wheat-free LC. Never. Ever. Eat or get sick with a splitting headache. Always.

Makes me want to dance a jig every time I think about it. Which is often.

For informational purposes:

Maintenance 2154
CALORIES/DAY
Fat Loss 1723
CALORIES/DAY
Extreme Fat Loss 1544
CALORIES/DAY

...per the freedieting site's SAD BMR calculator. So what I shoot for is a calorie range between 1500 and 1700 daily. I admit that most 1500 days are a vanity thing
Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #460
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patlaf View Post
Red I hope you don't get the cold, but I agree with Southern Girl that Vitamin D3 is the way to go. I used to get awful, hacking cough colds, and haven't had one since I started taking 5,000 units of D3 a day.

Southern Girl what is the PACE program? I googled and got that it was an innovative program for teaching precalculus mathematics at the University of Colorado, and I know that ten minutes a day of that would do me in.

Buffy, isn't it great when our DD's find the key to losing weight. The downside of that is that age being in their favor they reach goal way before their old mamas, and then they start nagging, and nagging. Unfortunately, my reaction to nagging is usually to grab the nearest chocolate bar. Now at least it's an 85% Lindt and not a Snickers.

Pat
Yep, Vit D 5K is what I am taking since the sun is not as powerful and I don't have as much time to get my 30 min a day now.

Google Dr Al Sears and PACE. Not Barry Sears. It's a great interval program, meaning quick burst of activity, I do not run...feel free to if you like it. Jumping jacks, jumping rope, stationary bike...the Army has adopted it now, it is taking hold. He's a wonderful real doc in Florida, I think he is just now putting out videos. I have the book, short read. Let me know if you cannot find it.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #461
Blabbermouth!!!

By the way, for those of you that are fairly new to the 80/15/5 NK paradigm...

I have some previous experience with high fat macros because that is what I was doing last year when I lost so much weight. Not the NK part, which wasn't really known about at that time. Anyway, I just mention it to let you know there is a learning curve on keeping your fat high and calories moderate. I just happen to have done it several months ago.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #462
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Red for the CO info, I eat supper around 6, and that would work for me as late. Have to be in bed by 10 to make the get up 5am.

I weighed in this morning.....yes! Steriod lbs are almost gone...9 lbs down from my freak out last Sunday morning. Hit 127.7!!! still 2 lbs up from when that mess started. Now, remember I am a shortie, and have wrist measurements of 5"...I don't even make the "small frame" chart....so I am still carrying a bit much for my frame. But all is good, and this inspires me!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #463
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Thanks Red for the CO info, I eat supper around 6, and that would work for me as late. Have to be in bed by 10 to make the get up 5am.

I weighed in this morning.....yes! Steriod lbs are almost gone...9 lbs down from my freak out last Sunday morning. Hit 127.7!!! still 2 lbs up from when that mess started. Now, remember I am a shortie, and have wrist measurements of 5"...I don't even make the "small frame" chart....so I am still carrying a bit much for my frame. But all is good, and this inspires me!
Great!!!

SG I'd probably dose it before dinner or maybe around 4:30 to 5pm. At least at first to see how it hits you. I'd hate for you to be up at 11pm because of the CO. Try it when the next day isn't a work day for the after dinner dose.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #464
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Great!!!

SG I'd probably dose it before dinner or maybe around 4:30 to 5pm. At least at first to see how it hits you. I'd hate for you to be up at 11pm because of the CO. Try it when the next day isn't a work day for the after dinner dose.
hour before supper sounds like a good idea to limit consumption at that meal too. hummmm. thanks. yep, I'll hold off a week and keep doing what I am doing, which is tracking, counting, measuring, basic paying attention! time for a walk, it's so nice today
Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #465
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post

Yay SG, so happy to hear you have lost almost all of that darn steroid weight. That is such a bummer but when you need them, you need them and the few times I had them, I was so sick I didn't care what they gave me, just help me get over this. Usualy pneumonia for me. GOOD JOB
Old 10-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #466
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Yeah, 1500ish is pretty low. I do get hungry between morning CO/Coffee and when I finally eat but it isn't unmanageable and in a pinch I just eat a bunch of pickles to tide me over to when *I* want to eat. Now, there is a feat I could never have done before wheat-free LC. Never. Ever. Eat or get sick with a splitting headache. Always.

Makes me want to dance a jig every time I think about it. Which is often.

For informational purposes:

Maintenance 2154
CALORIES/DAY
Fat Loss 1723
CALORIES/DAY
Extreme Fat Loss 1544
CALORIES/DAY

...per the freedieting site's SAD BMR calculator. So what I shoot for is a calorie range between 1500 and 1700 daily. I admit that most 1500 days are a vanity thing
Red, can I just google freedieting site to find that BMR? I need to figure out again what my calorie range is.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #467
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Southern Girl--wow 127 pounds I am in awe. I beat you by 45 pounds and my mind boggles thinking of doing jumping jacks, and I can trip over a perfectly flat surface while strolling, I don't even want to try to picture me running. I do have every intention of walking half an hour every morning now that the weather is cooler.

Buffy, congratulations on the pound down. Leg cramps are awful. Do you take magnesium? I have two daughters and a son--all of them have swallowed the healthy grains and five fruits a day kool-aid. Since we are very scattered (one lives in London, one in Austin and one in Chad) I just tell them I do low carb. If they knew about the coconut oil and the fat bombs, they would immediately start making arrangements for my funeral. I really want to dazzle them with the new, skinny me at Christmas, while wearing my new DKNY skinny jeans and washing down my cream cheese clouds with spoonsful of coconut oil. I'm counting on all of you to keep me on track.

I'm planning on a slightly off track treat tonight at our favorite cafe. I'm going to have an Irish coffee--the Irish whisky has no carbs and I'll ask them to make it with no sugar in the heavy cream. This is just a once a week "carrot" to keep me from jumping off the wagon.

Pat
Old 10-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #468
Big Yapper!!!!

DGS being here has helped me out with my collection of bacon grease. Fried up a pan full of those bacon ends and pieces, there were even a couple of "slices" in there so I didn't even explain why our bacon looked funny . Got a nice amount of grease off that to save. This is a growing 12 1/2 YO boy, he had, 3 eggs scrambled with 2 slices of cheese, about 2 oz of bacon, 3 slices of toast, one with jam, one with PB, and one with cinnamon sugar, a thing of applesauce and a glass of juice. Ate every drop of it! He is just going into puberty so I can only imagine his appetite will go up from here
Old 10-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #469
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Red, can I just google freedieting site to find that BMR? I need to figure out again what my calorie range is.
Yes google 'freedieting' and it will have 'calorie calculator' as one of the sub-items on the first hit.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #470
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
DGS being here has helped me out with my collection of bacon grease. Fried up a pan full of those bacon ends and pieces, there were even a couple of "slices" in there so I didn't even explain why our bacon looked funny . Got a nice amount of grease off that to save. This is a growing 12 1/2 YO boy, he had, 3 eggs scrambled with 2 slices of cheese, about 2 oz of bacon, 3 slices of toast, one with jam, one with PB, and one with cinnamon sugar, a thing of applesauce and a glass of juice. Ate every drop of it! He is just going into puberty so I can only imagine his appetite will go up from here
Wow! lol *That* is an appetite!

You should scowl at DD when you run down the list of what he ate this morning lol

Old 10-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #471
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I'm planning on a slightly off track treat tonight at our favorite cafe. I'm going to have an Irish coffee--the Irish whisky has no carbs and I'll ask them to make it with no sugar in the heavy cream. This is just a once a week "carrot" to keep me from jumping off the wagon.

Pat
We will deem it to be for medicinal use Pat
Old 10-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #472
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Southern Girl--wow 127 pounds I am in awe. I beat you by 45 pounds and my mind boggles thinking of doing jumping jacks, and I can trip over a perfectly flat surface while strolling, I don't even want to try to picture me running. I do have every intention of walking half an hour every morning now that the weather is cooler.

Buffy, congratulations on the pound down. Leg cramps are awful. Do you take magnesium? I have two daughters and a son--all of them have swallowed the healthy grains and five fruits a day kool-aid. Since we are very scattered (one lives in London, one in Austin and one in Chad) I just tell them I do low carb. If they knew about the coconut oil and the fat bombs, they would immediately start making arrangements for my funeral. I really want to dazzle them with the new, skinny me at Christmas, while wearing my new DKNY skinny jeans and washing down my cream cheese clouds with spoonsful of coconut oil. I'm counting on all of you to keep me on track.

Pat
I hear you on them seeing you consume the HF.

As long as your Irish coffee is SF, i don't think that seems like a bad once a week treat at all! I have recently purchased several items while out shopping and justified them with "I am sticking to my diet, I deserve this" but really, I think I am going a bit overboard. Have promised DD that when she hits 190 I will get her an ISI cream whipper!!!

By Christmas you will look amazing, I cant get over that just 10 lbs loss shows
Old 10-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #473
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh, yes I do take magnesium, 400 a day, do you think I should increase that to help with the leg cramps?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #474
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
We will deem it to be for medicinal use Pat
Yes, Pat's once a week carrot pass
Old 10-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #475
Big Yapper!!!!

found the calc. Mine said to maintain 1743, for fat loss 1576, for extreme fat loss "too low" so I would think that 1200 - 1400 which is what I have been aiming for should be good.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #476
Blabbermouth!!!

Buffy, google 'dr. eades leg cramps' and it should be the first hit. He talks about his ordeal with horrible cramps. They started in his legs/feet and eventually got to his hands too. So bad it made it dangerous to drive.

I hate to spoil his very interesting retelling of it but the end of the matter is that he was dehydrated.

So, make sure you are getting enough pure water and sodium.

Dr. Robbins advises 2xRDA for magnesium. Google 'LLVLC-ep-602-morley-robbins' for a wonderful podcast that is magnesium focused.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #477
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Good morning all. Great news from many of you. Hooray for Major Red/Darin on keeping his low 2 days in a row. My "test" for myself is that I can't record a low unless I maintain it 3 days in a row, so woo hoo!!!!

Buffy! 1# down after all that fat is sensational. My 190 gr of fat and 1950 calories yesterday resulted in a .2# loss for me which made me laugh and celebrate. But measurements are mixed and ketones are down and glucose is way up. Go figure.

Anyway, congratulations also to SouthernGirl61 on finally getting those steroids out of her body and seeing a lovely 9# loss. Excellent!!!!

Pat, you had me laughing out loud at your comment of your kids making arrangements for your funeral if they knew about fat bombs. That was too funny, and I'm in total agreement.

My cold got much worse last night. I haven't been sick with anything for probably 12 year or so....I don't do any grains and I take 6,000 IU of D a day do can't exactly "up" that and be safe. I did double up on my Vit. C. It's so weird to feel unwell, but I've been walking every morning in the 28-36 degree range, and I spent last Sat. with a friend in a small room cutting out backings for a quilt project and she was VERY ill that night, so whatever she had, I'm sure she helped share it with me, and hubby has also been sick, so...guess I just didn't manage to avoid it this time.

I'm going to make sure I get in my protein today....it's been low for about a week compared to what I'm used to. My average weight for this last week is exactly the same as last weeks average, so I guess it's good I didn't gain. I have only been doing the lower protein and higher fat since the 1st of October, and the TBSP of CO at night for 2 nights. So, I'm looking forward to next weeks reading/measurements, etc.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #478
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Wow! lol *That* is an appetite!

You should scowl at DD when you run down the list of what he ate this morning lol

Yes, DD knows that the family diet is too carby and hopes to be able to show her DH that this WOE works so they can adjust their cooking and diet. He is still at the "just rolls his eye stage" Mr. Buffy otoh, just knows I am back on LC for my diabetes, I haven't even mentioned my weight loss and it takes a bit more than this for him to notice unlike when we were young and I swear he would notice if I put on 1 lb!! So, he thinks LC is meat and eggs, last night he was with some friends and had some good potato soup, called me to see if I wanted him to bring some home I said, thanks for thinking of me but I can't eat that. I can understand though, he has never had to diet or learn about it and has seen me on every diet, can eat this, can't eat that, no wonder he is confused!!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #479
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Buffy, google 'dr. eades leg cramps' and it should be the first hit. He talks about his ordeal with horrible cramps. They started in his legs/feet and eventually got to his hands too. So bad it made it dangerous to drive.

I hate to spoil his very interesting retelling of it but the end of the matter is that he was dehydrated.

So, make sure you are getting enough pure water and sodium.

Dr. Robbins advises 2xRDA for magnesium. Google 'LLVLC-ep-602-morley-robbins' for a wonderful podcast that is magnesium focused.
I remember you were working up to 800 and so I will follow in your footsteps. We discussed not being as thirst so now, for the first time ever, I have to kind of prod myself to get my water in. Usually enjoy my coffee all morning, then start in on the water.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #480
Big Yapper!!!!

Shelly, on your loss after the HF day and HC, bet you did snicker when you saw your scale.

Sorry, but it is hard to remember every ones stats as we are getting to know each other, but remind me. Are you diabetic? What are your FBG readings averaging?

Right now just concentrate on getting well, not weight loss although it might surprise you. Hard to get an accurate picture when your body is fighting off illness. Sorry you are feeling bad

My, but it is hard to get that HF, enough protein and keep the calories low. I had to go into my menu for today and change the beef I had planned for dinner, to fish and still barely made my protein requirement. I am just playing around today with almost 0 carb so basically I am eating meat, egg, fish and fat!! Just for today though, I don't want to routinely keep carbs that low
Closed Thread