Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #391
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Also, I post a lot on here but that is part of doing this woe for me, it really helps me out to be on here and read, and post, read and post.
This is something that started banging around in my head for the last day or so.

My losses have been pretty good since starting NK and breaking my awful months long stall.

But! I'm about as sedate as you can get and still be ambulatory.

So, how can it be that I dropped 3500 calories worth of fat overnight? Water weight? But that doesn't really fit the picture very well when you look at the last 4 weeks.

It is interesting, and the reason I bring it up....

Evolution, if you believe in junk science (j/k if you believe in it and not j/k if you don't), points out that modern man's brain is a very calorie heavy organ. Evolutionarily speaking, it is hard to justify the energy expenditure required to develop our brains. And it requires a lot of juice to run it every day.

So, ponder this.

Are you vegging out in front of the boob tube? Or are you using your brain matter to read intriguing and thought provoking material - fiction, non-fiction (best of all zombie apocalypse fiction)? Are you interacting with a lot of people? Like posting a lot here or conversations in real life? Things that demand attention and can't be done on auto-pilot? Are you thinking about stuff?

Interesting, no?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #392
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Very interesting and I lay claim to being able to add "brain exercise" to my list of daily activities!!! Score!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #393
Blabbermouth!!!

More exercise goodness from the Art & Science.

Location 2275 or page 126.

Quote:
Jabekk et al. studied untrained overweight women between 20-40 years of age, all of whom participated in a 10 week supervised resistance training program (2 workouts per week). Subjects were randomly assigned to either a hypocaloric low carbohydrate diet or to continue consuming their habitual diet. The low carbohydrate diet consisted of 23g carbohydrate/day (6% of energy) and 95g/day protein (22% energy). Weight loss was 5.6kg in the low carbohydrate group, which was entirely attributed to fat loss. Thus, a low carbohydrate diet in combination with resistance training resulted in significant fat loss and complete preservation of lean body mass.
Notice that the macros are 72/22/6!

Phinney is trying to talk me into some sort of an exercise program.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #394
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
I caught that on the news about that anchor woman, for her response, and, did you see his public apology on TV? I am not sure when he did it but I saw it late last night! I LIKE her!
No, i didn't. I assumed he was reprobate from the tone of his letter. I'm gonna so look for it. I'm glad he's embarrased and admits it cause it was not a nice or necessary or even effective thing he did the way he wrote that letter and insulted her. I'll bet she's in better shape than he is and can outrun him. LOL

ETA: After watching his apology, I don't accept it, it was conditional and only because he was outed. "If she's offended, I apologize" is NOT an apology, because he was in the wrong whether or not his victim is offended. He offended ME and I'm not the target of his attack. Nobody cares if he was an obese child, that actually makes it WORSE that he attacks her not knowing anything about her life and struggles. Okay, that's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
More exercise goodness from the Art & Science.

Location 2275 or page 126.

Quote:
Jabekk et al. studied untrained overweight women between 20-40 years of age, all of whom participated in a 10 week supervised resistance training program (2 workouts per week). Subjects were randomly assigned to either a hypocaloric low carbohydrate diet or to continue consuming their habitual diet. The low carbohydrate diet consisted of 23g carbohydrate/day (6% of energy) and 95g/day protein (22% energy). Weight loss was 5.6kg in the low carbohydrate group, which was entirely attributed to fat loss. Thus, a low carbohydrate diet in combination with resistance training resulted in significant fat loss and complete preservation of lean body mass.
Notice that the macros are 72/22/6!

Phinney is trying to talk me into some sort of an exercise program.
Okay, so I'm gonna head into the living room and pick up my weights.....
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 10-06-2012 at 11:09 AM..
Old 10-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #395
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Okay, so I'm gonna head into the living room and pick up my weights.....
! Resistance! Not weights!
Old 10-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #396
Blabbermouth!!!

I have started collecting rubber bands. Baby steps are best.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #397

Quote:
! Resistance! Not weights!
isn't using weight considered resistance as well, the same as if I used those stretchy bands? I'll not be "pumping iron" but doing full body movements, slowly, with weights parallell to the floor to provide resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicine.net
Resistance exercise is any exercise where muscles contract against an external resistance with the objective of increasing strength, tone, mass, and/or muscular endurance. The resistance can come from dumbbells, weight machines, elastic tubing or bands, cinder blocks, cans of soup, your own body weight (for example, pushups), or any other object that forces your muscles to contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Resistance training is a form of strength training in which each effort is performed against a specific opposing force generated by resistance (i.e. resistance to being pushed, squeezed, stretched or bent). Exercises are isotonic if a body part is moving against the force.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #398
Blabbermouth!!!

Hmmm.

I wonder what the distinction is then? Maybe the doctor said resistance to be as inclusive as possible for this category of exercise.

Okay. Time to dust off the old pink 1 pound rubberized dumbbells.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #399

I just don't wanna spend money on oversized rubberbands! I learned about Isotonic resistance and got made fun of for pushing on the walls and doing "nothing"!

I got a new set of adjustable weights for free so I can start with just the barbell and go through the motions for my joints and muscles and then increase as I get stronger. I'm following the idea of slow burn slow motion movement cause I've hurt myself too many time being impatient. Now that I know I don't have to move fast to get benefits of exercise I can wrap my mind around that.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #400
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Good morning everyone!

Had to come check the thread before heading to town. Wanted to say a few things in regard to last night and this mornings comments.

First. BIG congrats to Reddarin and Buffy's daughter. Such great news!!!!

Next....I started 1 TBSP of CO last night at 7 PM to see if I couldn't get my ketones us (thank you Major for the idea!!!!) and today my ketones were 1.0 (up from .7 to .9 regularly). Woo hoo. But my glucose was 125!!!!! Tested it again with the "new meter" and it was 112 (same drop of blood). So, who knows.

Re: resistance and weight. I was really into the Body For Life program 18 months ago and dropped 20# quickly and went down 3 pants sizes in a matter of a few months. I was so excited. It was 3 days of HEAVY heavy weight lifting and 2 of cardio/HIIT, etc. But I felt "not well" eating nonfat. I changed to Atkins induction and gained 20# very quickly and that's where I've been for over a year. However.....the reason men lose weight faster is because a man has "natural muscle mass". They can do pushups even if they never did one before. They can open jars easier and lift heavier things as they are naturally built with more muscle. Muscle burns fat...there is no dispute to that.

However, there are 2 rules of thought on resistance training...weights, your own body weight, stretchy bands or little pink dumbbells. The reality is that whatever works for you and whatever you will stick with.

So, I'm going to challenge EVERYONE to do 3 days of "something" next week. Hand weights, bands, or doing pushups against the wall....or lying on the floor with 2 cans of soup (one in each hand) and doing "bench presses" or "flyes". Anything....any amount of weight resistance.

How about one week just doing "something" like that??? Anyone in? I'm going to the gym to use their machines since it will keep my form "perfect" and not allow me to cheat or hurt myself. I did love the weights a lot when I did them, but this time I will not push myself to be so heavy that I work to "failure" of the muscles. This time I will lift comfortably to "hard", but not fail. Hope someone else will want to give that a try with me next week. ONE week....3 sessions of 20-45 minutes each. Anyone????
Old 10-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #401
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
I just don't wanna spend money on oversized rubberbands! I learned about Isotonic resistance and got made fun of for pushing on the walls and doing "nothing"!

I got a new set of adjustable weights for free so I can start with just the barbell and go through the motions for my joints and muscles and then increase as I get stronger. I'm following the idea of slow burn slow motion movement cause I've hurt myself too many time being impatient. Now that I know I don't have to move fast to get benefits of exercise I can wrap my mind around that.
YES YES YES!!! (sorry to scream). They say 4 seconds out (away from teh body) and 4-6 back in...using the slow motion in both directions. You've got the right idea!

One of the guys at the gym last year worked with "Mr. Universe" and he told me to walk first to get the body warmed up and then to do each of the "motions" you are going to do with NO weight so that the joints/body understand the motion and warm up without any stress. It works! Lucky you to get some adjustable weights for free. I keep looking at Goodwill with no luck "yet".
Old 10-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #402
Blabbermouth!!!

I am waaaaaaay ahead of you guys. 2 liter soda pop bottles are not exactly light ya know.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
YES YES YES!!! (sorry to scream). They say 4 seconds out (away from teh body) and 4-6 back in...using the slow motion in both directions. You've got the right idea!

One of the guys at the gym last year worked with "Mr. Universe" and he told me to walk first to get the body warmed up and then to do each of the "motions" you are going to do with NO weight so that the joints/body understand the motion and warm up without any stress. It works! Lucky you to get some adjustable weights for free. I keep looking at Goodwill with no luck "yet".
HA HA HA! Yes, that was the advice I was given: to go through the whole routine without the weights in order to prep the body for the motion and proper posture and form.

I wish I could have find a set of adjustables really for "free", I "bought" them with points that I earned from doing surveys for almost a decade with Homescan ( they've changed their name) I still have a lot of points but none of the prizes are really worth the money you'd pay to buy them( ie. junk) , then the weights showed up in the prize list and I was happy to get them.

Here is a photo of them
They go from the bar to 2.5, 5,7.5, 10, and 12.5#.

But you can sometimes fine free weights at the thrift store. I've seen 1lb, 2lb, 5lb and even 10lb weights sometimes. BF prefers the ones with the neoprene ( or whatever it's called...soft foam?) coating,so then I'd go to Walmart to find them for him.

Last edited by metqa; 10-06-2012 at 12:17 PM..
Old 10-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #404
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Insanity is a mix of cardio and resistance (no weights though). I also throw around the kettlebells. I love it. Well, not always while I'm doing it. But when I see tummy muscles and toned arms(my thighs haven't quite gotten the message yet), or I'm slipping into a dress in a size I could not normally wear at this weight, it reminds me that it's all worth it.. And oh yeah, I love exercise for all those healthy reasons too..yeah.

Last edited by theLossgirl; 10-06-2012 at 12:42 PM..
Old 10-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #405
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

ROTFLMAO
Old 10-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #406
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Good morning everyone!

Had to come check the thread before heading to town. Wanted to say a few things in regard to last night and this mornings comments.

First. BIG congrats to Reddarin and Buffy's daughter. Such great news!!!!

Next....I started 1 TBSP of CO last night at 7 PM to see if I couldn't get my ketones us (thank you Major for the idea!!!!) and today my ketones were 1.0 (up from .7 to .9 regularly). Woo hoo. But my glucose was 125!!!!! Tested it again with the "new meter" and it was 112 (same drop of blood). So, who knows.

Re: resistance and weight. I was really into the Body For Life program 18 months ago and dropped 20# quickly and went down 3 pants sizes in a matter of a few months. I was so excited. It was 3 days of HEAVY heavy weight lifting and 2 of cardio/HIIT, etc. But I felt "not well" eating nonfat. I changed to Atkins induction and gained 20# very quickly and that's where I've been for over a year. However.....the reason men lose weight faster is because a man has "natural muscle mass". They can do pushups even if they never did one before. They can open jars easier and lift heavier things as they are naturally built with more muscle. Muscle burns fat...there is no dispute to that.

However, there are 2 rules of thought on resistance training...weights, your own body weight, stretchy bands or little pink dumbbells. The reality is that whatever works for you and whatever you will stick with.

So, I'm going to challenge EVERYONE to do 3 days of "something" next week. Hand weights, bands, or doing pushups against the wall....or lying on the floor with 2 cans of soup (one in each hand) and doing "bench presses" or "flyes". Anything....any amount of weight resistance.

How about one week just doing "something" like that??? Anyone in? I'm going to the gym to use their machines since it will keep my form "perfect" and not allow me to cheat or hurt myself. I did love the weights a lot when I did them, but this time I will not push myself to be so heavy that I work to "failure" of the muscles. This time I will lift comfortably to "hard", but not fail. Hope someone else will want to give that a try with me next week. ONE week....3 sessions of 20-45 minutes each. Anyone????
I'm in Shelly, great idea for suggesting it. I have these thick rubber bands that come around mail sometime, uh, oh, just kidding. I can do the 2 soup cans on the floor routine for sure and if for some reason, I can't get up, I will first place a can opener on the floor so that I won't starve to death.

I have also accepted the challenge of adding 1 T of CO to dinner, keep that metabolism revved up, rrrrrrr rrrrr rrrrr
Old 10-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #407
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I am waaaaaaay ahead of you guys. 2 liter soda pop bottles are not exactly light ya know.
No fair I say, b/c we know your soda pop bottles are most often empty!!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #408
Big Yapper!!!!

As I reached into the fridge and grabbed my bottle of liquid fish oil, which I have restarted taking twice a day to fight off the lipitor battle with my Dr., I had a very AHA moment. I added that back starting on Tuesday and not once, did I think about logging it. Soooo, I was consuming about 200 more calories of fat than I was accounting for. At least it was fat, not carbs! Whew

Today I had 2 1/2 T of CO and coffee for b/fast, along with my 2 teaspoons of fish oil. For lunch, I had a choc pecan muffin I had found the recipe for, it was very rich, dense and good but when I rechecked the nutritional info on it, found that the original posters info didn't agree with mine. again, when will I ever learn to figure before I eat!!! Anyway, it did fill me up but had 305 calories, 9 carbs, 4 fiber, 29 fat and 7 protein.

I am going to end up the day way low on protein but it has just worked out this way and I am not going to worry about it for one day, I think this is probably one of the only day I have been below minimum on protein.

If it doesn't rain I am going to DGS's baseball game after I eat dinner so should keep my mind off my usual evening snacking.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #409
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
No fair I say, b/c we know your soda pop bottles are most often empty!!!!
Yes, that is why it is called resistance Buffy. I slowly upend bottle being careful to slowly lower the lower weight back to the counter top resisting the urge to not allow for the fizzy stuff to subside before starting the next rep

Just think. Last night I didn't even know how to spell resistance and now I are one.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #410
Blabbermouth!!!

Just to be clear.

When we are talking about soup cans do the ramen noodle bowls count?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #411
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
Quote:

Ok. I'll dig out the resistance band from my shoulder physical therapy and a couple of other things and join you.

I claim the title of most sedentary person you've ever known of who isn't physically impaired. Really. Agoraphobia is amazing for that.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #412
Big Yapper!!!!

Owning a computer has certainly not helped me out in the exercise dept., except I can type incredibly fast now.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #413
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpluvia View Post
Ok. I'll dig out the resistance band from my shoulder physical therapy and a couple of other things and join you.

I claim the title of most sedentary person you've ever known of who isn't physically impaired. Really. Agoraphobia is amazing for that.
Yay! Does this challenge start tomorrow, the first day of the new week?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #414
Blabbermouth!!!

I was snooping around over in the JUDDD forum and found this tasty looking recipe.

Quote:
This Custard recipe came out to 80calories a pc.

On up days I eat it with whipped Cream!

5 eggs
2 cups unsweetened almond milk ( i used vanilla)
1/2 tsp almond extract
12 drops ez-sweets (1/4 cup worth)
1 T truvia
2 T PolyD

bake at 350 for about an hr i a whter bath

less if you use custard cups
Old 10-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #415
Big Yapper!!!!

I used to have the poly-d but threw it out when I quit low carbing, other than that it looks good.

I just made my OWN olive oil mayo and it is great, I could seriously eat this with a spoon out of the jar and talk about easy! Put ingred in jar, put in stick blender, voila, mayo!!! OMG. I am so pleased about this. I will go find where I got the recipe.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #416
Big Yapper!!!!

Posted by Solarpluvia on the High fat, low to moderate protein recipes

Easy Two Egg Mayonaise

2 large eggs (at room temperature!)
2 Tbsp vinegar (I prefer plain cheap white)
1 Tbsp dijon mustard (more or less, to taste)
dashes of salt and pepper
2 Cups oil of choice
(I use light olive regularly, but I've switched in MCT oil and macadamia nut oil for about 1/2 a cup sometimes. The MCT makes it emulsify less well, but I've got a bunch to use up. But I didn't like the mac oil even at less than a quarter, so I've stayed away from other nut oils as well. I don't want my mayo to taste nutty, it tastes wrong to me but YMMV.)

For stick blender: Add ingredients in order to vessel of choice (I use a quart size mason jar so that I don't have to move the mayo). Put the stick in all the way to the bottom, turn it on and hold it there for about 20 seconds, until you can see the emulsion has taken over the bottom of the jar. Then move it up and down until all of the oil is incorporated.

For other methods: I wish you all of the luck I never had.

Note: Per the cookbook Nourishing Traditions, I also add about 2 Tbsp of whey from yogurt or sour cream at the end and let it sit a while on the counter, but this is totally optional. The whey is for durability and adding a bit of lacto-fermentation is never a bad thing.

About light olive oils, if they aren't processed with hexane, that fact will probably be somewhere on the label. Non-hexane processed light olive oil may be a little more golden, but it tastes just as neutral as the hexane processed stuff. And if you can't find a non-hexane processed oil, you're probably still better off using light olive oil than any other similarly priced oil simply because of the fatty acid profile. Everything else has signifigantly more PUFAs.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #417
Big Yapper!!!!

I just made that mayo and I LOVE it and it was so easy I could not believe it.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #418
Big Yapper!!!!

For any of you who live near an Aldi's, I guess their pork rinds are like 89 cents and good. We are getting a new Aldi's soon, can't wait.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #419
Blabbermouth!!!

Clint just posted this over on another thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagrid's Dad View Post
If you have Amazon Prime (the pay-once-a-year to get free 2nd-day shipping on all your orders thing) you can watch all of Julia Child's The French Chef for free on your computer -- season 9, episode 13 is all about the egg yolk and butter sauces.

Not sure if that helps, but she always seems to inspire me to actually try new things in the kitchen.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #420
Big Yapper!!!!

My pie chart today looks like Pacman , 85%, 10%, 5%. Not sure why but it gives me great satisfaction to see that
Closed Thread