Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlyjo View Post
I use this one too. The app is great.

Sorry I have been a bit MIA. I have been SO busy, limited puter time.

Ummmm...... I saw my weight start with a 2 this morning. (where is the jaw dropping smilie?) >>> this one will have to do: I wanted to pretty much sit on the edge of my bed and cry.

Actually though, it was barely in the 2s, 298, so I might stay off the scale to avoid seeing the inevitable little bounce.

I just stayed the course the last two weeks and the stall broke and the scale moved. I hope it continues. Best of luck to those of you trying to break a stall. It sucks.

Congratulations! Way to go!,
Maureen

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
You hit the nail on the head! I reamed my brother for eating Tums, Rolaids, and OTC meds...he was on Nexium once, then they went OTC, boom, he took many of them. Told him to go LC and kill the wheat....great improvement. it's the lack of acid that causes this mess, folks just mess up and kill more of it over and over again. Also a quick easy fix is to mix 1 tsp baking soda, shake a bit of sea salt in, about a quarter cup water, drink. Balancing the alkaline and acid. I do this when on rare occasions I have a tummy ache.
Dear Southern Girl
Interesting. I remember so clearly my grandfather used the baking soda for acid reflux. I want to get off the prilosec. Thanks for the great advice.
Maureen
Old 10-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #243
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Hi everyone! I'm just checking in! Vacation is going swimmingly and I've managed to stick to plan and all my clothes still fit which is a good sign.

I wanted to add that coconut cream is just coconut milk with less water added. No additives necessary, but they're in most brands. The Aroy-D is just water and coconut, but it isn't organic.

Congrats to all the losers!!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
30% CVS coupon code for the next 2 days just arrived in my email: 30SITE

Their Nova Max Ketone strips are regularly 24.99 and there's free shipping on orders over $49. Last time they sold out of the strips quickly!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #245
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Hi everyone! I'm just checking in! Vacation is going swimmingly and I've managed to stick to plan and all my clothes still fit which is a good sign.

I wanted to add that coconut cream is just coconut milk with less water added. No additives necessary, but they're in most brands. The Aroy-D is just water and coconut, but it isn't organic.

Been thinking of you. So glad it is going well, you have done so awesome, a cheat is not worth it.

Thanks for the coupon code.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
Can someone help me troubleshoot a reaction I'm having to the Southwestern Taco Soup that's on the recipe page?

I had it last night, just 1 serving, and instantly bloated in a painfully huge way. My stomach was freakishly round and hard. But no real *pain* like real gas pains, just visually weird and it was uncomfortable. No intestinal reactions or pain, all abdominal. And my stomach wasn't *full* from eating too much.

I assumed it was probably something in the soup, but since I'd been driving a lot yesterday, also wanted to rule out just general bloating from lack of water and to much sitting.

I had the soup again today for lunch...and instant bloat. :-/

So I seem to be reacting pretty severely to something in the soup. I'm trying to narrow down the potential culprits:

ground beef--not a problem

cream cheese--hasn't ever been a problem in the past

heavy cream--hasn't ever been a problem in the past

diced tomatoes and green chiles--not rotel, but another brand, also contained citric acid and spices, a possible culprit I guess, but I've had those things in the past without issue. Diet coke, for example, has never made me bloat like this so I'm just doubting the citric acid. But...maybe? Or some other spice not named on the can?

cumin, chili powder, onion and garlic--all things I have fairly frequently in mexican dishes or chili soup.

beef bouillon--does contain a lot of weird things in the cube form, but also something I've had in the past without issue.

I'm making chili for dinner which will have cumin and the beef bouillon in it, so I guess it will be a bit of a test for those two particular things.

Anyone else have a similar reaction to a particular spiced or canned food? Or even to dairy, I'm willing to consider that, but I've had cream cheese, HWC, other cheeses consistently while eating a ketogenic diet and have never had this sort of super-bloat.

--Jamie
Old 10-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #247
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Kids4me View Post
Can someone help me troubleshoot a reaction I'm having to the Southwestern Taco Soup that's on the recipe page?
--Jamie
The hardened stomach makes me think possible reaction to a pathogen. Just another idea. Bouillons and canned items are so difficult. I understand "natural flavors" now covers all kinds of crazy things...
Old 10-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #248
Big Yapper!!!!

Jamie, sorry to hear about your reaction, afraid I am not of any help on this but hope you get an answer.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #249
Big Yapper!!!!

I am so excited, I got my Sten Skaldeman book, Lose Weight by eating Nordic Superfood, The Scandinavian Diet. Shipping kept saying it should arrive at the end of the month so was very happy to get it today. I have to work in my office this afternoon but I just can't wait to start reading it. Thanks Sven for the recommendation.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dianajlane
WOE: new to HFLC, but long-time LC-er
Start Date: 10/1/2012
New to HFLC

Hi Everyone,

I would like to join your NK group.

I have been reading all the back posts, and I'm really hoping that using an HFLC approach will help me to lose more consistently and to avoid running into major stalls. I have been looking for a supportive forum, and I hope to find a home here while I learn how to make HFLC work for me.

I have posted a bit about my history here:
Once more with feeling....

Thanks in advance for letting me invade your space!

Dianaj
Old 10-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #251
Big Yapper!!!!

Diana
Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #252
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Welcome Dianaj!
This is a great group - very friendly and helpful.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post

Dear Kristn
Thanks for info! Enjoy you trip! I will look out for the Aroy-D. Too bad we can't dehydrate coconut milk to create cream and avoid all that other junk!

Enjoy!
Maureen
Old 10-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Kids4me View Post

I had it last night, just 1 serving, and instantly bloated in a painfully huge way. My stomach was freakishly round and hard. But no real *pain* like real gas pains, just visually weird and it was uncomfortable. No intestinal reactions or pain, all abdominal. And my stomach wasn't *full* from eating too much.

I assumed it was probably something in the soup, but since I'd been driving a lot yesterday, also wanted to rule out just general bloating from lack of water and to much sitting.

I had the soup again today for lunch...and instant bloat. :-/

So I seem to be reacting pretty severely to something in the soup. I'm trying to narrow down the potential culprits:

ground beef--not a problem

cream cheese--hasn't ever been a problem in the past

heavy cream--hasn't ever been a problem in the past

diced tomatoes and green chiles--not rotel, but another brand, also contained citric acid and spices, a possible culprit I guess, but I've had those things in the past without issue. Diet coke, for example, has never made me bloat like this so I'm just doubting the citric acid. But...maybe? Or some other spice not named on the can?

cumin, chili powder, onion and garlic--all things I have fairly frequently in mexican dishes or chili soup.

beef bouillon--does contain a lot of weird things in the cube form, but also something I've had in the past without issue.

I'm making chili for dinner which will have cumin and the beef bouillon in it, so I guess it will be a bit of a test for those two particular things.

Anyone else have a similar reaction to a particular spiced or canned food? Or even to dairy, I'm willing to consider that, but I've had cream cheese, HWC, other cheeses consistently while eating a ketogenic diet and have never had this sort of super-bloat.

--Jamie
Dear Jamie
I have no idea but I hope you feel better soon. I always feel when in doubt step away from canned and dehydrated stuff like bouillon - can have lots of additives and canned goods can react to temperature changes occasionally.
Best guess.
Maureen
Old 10-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #255
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I am so excited, I got my Sten Skaldeman book, Lose Weight by eating Nordic Superfood, The Scandinavian Diet. Shipping kept saying it should arrive at the end of the month so was very happy to get it today. I have to work in my office this afternoon but I just can't wait to start reading it. Thanks Sven for the recommendation.
Dear Buffy
I thought it was an interesting system. Some good recipes. I hope you enjoy it! More reinforcement for hflc moderate protein. He

The author has maintained a major weight loss for 6+ years. No small feat!
Maureen
Old 10-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajlane View Post
Hi Everyone,

I would like to join your NK group.

I have been reading all the back posts, and I'm really hoping that using an HFLC approach will help me to lose more consistently and to avoid running into major stalls. I have been looking for a supportive forum, and I hope to find a home here while I learn how to make HFLC work for me.

I have posted a bit about my history here:
Once more with feeling....

Thanks in advance for letting me invade your space!

Dianaj
glad to have you involved.
Maureen
Old 10-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #257
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JoeEO
Other Sites

I know that this is ground zero in the online Keto-sphere (I've trademarked the term), but are there other internet resources that people have found interesting or helpful as it relates to nutritional ketosis???

Peace

Joe E O
And is it against the rules to mention them on this site?

Last edited by JoeEO; 10-09-2012 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 10-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Buffy, Judy, and Maureen...

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Hopefully, I will figure out how to incorporate a signature soon, so I can link to my journal, and post daily stats and menus there. I have actually been a member here for some time, but last time I was posting here (back when I was trying VLC), the thread was not very active.

This thread is hopping!

Dianaj
Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #259
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeEO View Post
I know that this is ground zero in the online Keto-sphere (I've trademarked the term), but are there other internet resources that people have found interesting or helpful as it relates to nutritional ketosis???

Peace

Joe E O
And is it against the rules to mention them on this site?
I've wondered the same thing, glad you asked. Googling it comes up with some. There are rules about what we can link and what we can't, I try to just not do it so to be safe. Every once in a while I slip up and forget.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
Great to see new faces and great progress! I have not been logging my food recently, just eyeballing, so I have not been posting my totals. Totally lurking, tho' and keeping up with the thread. And still trending down!!!

For those wanting to add CO and butter to a hot beverage - I didn't like the taste of coffee...try it in tea. I've been doing lemon ginger or chamomile or mint tea with a bit of sweetener and 1T of both CO and butter - now that's delicious.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
Great to see new faces and great progress! I have not been logging my food recently, just eyeballing, so I have not been posting my totals. Totally lurking, tho' and keeping up with the thread. And still trending down!!!

For those wanting to add CO and butter to a hot beverage - I didn't like the taste of coffee...try it in tea. I've been doing lemon ginger or chamomile or mint tea with a bit of sweetener and 1T of both CO and butter - now that's delicious.
Dear Route 66
Thanks for the suggestion. I need to drop down on the coffee- even though wheat free for nearly 2 years still battling herd. Tea might help! Love the chamomile.
Maureen
Old 10-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
One other item I've found that helps with acid is Teeccino. It's an "herbal coffee", and it's alkaline, so when I have half Teeccino and half coffee it neutralizes the acid. If I'm really bad off I drink just the Teeccino, but it's 3 carbs per cup, so I keep it limited.

I am wondering if increasing my fat could be causing the acid problems? I've noticed I'm having reflux after eating cheese and fat bombs. I'm also having a really hard time making myself eat dinner at night - I'm just not hungry. Are the percentages more important than the actual protein grams?

Last edited by MerryKate; 10-09-2012 at 11:11 PM..
Old 10-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #263
Senior LCF Member

One other question I forgot to post: how high is too high on the ketostix? I went wheat-free today, and my ketostix was 160 - dark, dark purple. I've never had a test that intense before, and it made me wonder if there's any danger in being that deep in ketosis.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
One other question I forgot to post: how high is too high on the ketostix? I went wheat-free today, and my ketostix was 160 - dark, dark purple. I've never had a test that intense before, and it made me wonder if there's any danger in being that deep in ketosis.
Dear Merry Kate
I think there is a consensus that the Ketostix are inaccurate and more reactive to immediate dietary consumption. I think they react very easily to fat consumption- CO and butte and carbohydrate consumption. There is seemingly no negative from being in the very high category. Although there is some indication that when you are fully Keto-adapted you may be burning ketones and not wasting them thru urination.( if I am a little off- other folks please jump in).

Many of us are tracking blood ketones and glucose in an attempt to fine tune our diets with the information obtained through those readings. The assumption being that when you are in Ketosis ( according to Phinney and Volk) assumed to be a blood ketone reading of .5-3.00 and exhibiting acceptable glucose levels-say under 120 or so you would then be in or near optimal fat burning ranges. These readings need to be supported by low carb, high fat and adequate protein. Different experts advise what adequate protein means as an overall ratio between fats and carbs. This is where this ketone and glucose data can help fine tune results. I have been chasing this for 6 weeks getting close and then backsliding. Regrettably the blood ketone strips are rediculously expensive and require hunting down sales and low priced distributors. Here in NYC they are rarely carried in drug stores and must be special ordered at astronomical prices( about $5.30-$6.00 per strip).

On a final- important note- the Ketostix reading would only be dangerous if you were a diabetic measuring ketoacidosis not Ketosis. The ketoacidosis is a dangerous condition for diabetics. But the Ketostix also react to ketones in the urine for healthy individuals and this is safe. Dr. Atkins and many others have written extensively about the differences between ketosis and ketoacidosis.

Maureen
Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #265
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Decided to check ketones/glucose again this morning.

Haven't changed eating so looks like I'm still solidly in there with ketones, though it is down a little bit. Morning readings are fasting at least 12 hours overnight, before any morning coconut oil. It's fun/interesting watching the numbers. Too bad the ketone test strips are so expensive.

10/5 -4pm 5.3/56
10/6 -9am 3.2/74
10/10 -7:30am 2.8/82
Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #266
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Are the percentages more important than the actual protein grams?
No!!!

Whatever else, eat your required protein as often as possible. An off day here or there won't matter but eating too little protein will result in bones and muscles being cannibalized and not replenished.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 AM   #267
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
One other item I've found that helps with acid is Teeccino. It's an "herbal coffee", and it's alkaline, so when I have half Teeccino and half coffee it neutralizes the acid. If I'm really bad off I drink just the Teeccino, but it's 3 carbs per cup, so I keep it limited.

I am wondering if increasing my fat could be causing the acid problems? I've noticed I'm having reflux after eating cheese and fat bombs. I'm also having a really hard time making myself eat dinner at night - I'm just not hungry. Are the percentages more important than the actual protein grams?
You can try a little baking soda in your coffee to neutralize the acid. It doesn't take much and too much will taste funny.

The reflux could be a result of any medicine you are taking that alters stomach acid in any way.

You might try aged cheese to see if that makes a difference.

You might try CO bark instead of the fat bombs to see how that sits.

Eating dinner is not all that important, I think, as long as you are meeting your protein requirement and you like your macros. It is probably better to eat throughout the day rather than have a long fast period from skipping dinner, especially if there are other factors present like the GERD issue.

Probably the way to do that is to moderate your breakfast/lunch a bit so that when dinner time rolls around you feel like eating but you aren't starving.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #268
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the info - I appreciate it. I'm happy to say I woke up this morning to a whoosh - finally, the scale is moving again! For all my problems adapting to NK, this is clearly working for me.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #269
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Thanks for all the info - I appreciate it. I'm happy to say I woke up this morning to a whoosh - finally, the scale is moving again! For all my problems adapting to NK, this is clearly working for me.
That is what you need to see to get you really going with NK, and wow, I love the way I eat these days, so yummy!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Hi Everyone...

Hi Everyone,

I was down 1.3 today, even though I had been low-carbing for a week before beginning HFLC on Monday.

I have more details in my journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...e-feeling.html

Can anyone help me figure out how to add a signature line?

I looked up the instructions, but couldn't do what they said (links weren't there).

Dianaj
Closed Thread