Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Maureen the easiest way is to eat fatty protein sources. Bacon, sausage, pork rinds, fatty beef cuts. If you start off with a protein source that has a high fat content then it is much easier to reach target macro ratios with a little added fat.
Thanks ! I am going to try to incorporate more of those items in my meals.
How do you feel about coconut cream ( 4 carbs per 1/3 cup but 16% fat)?
Maureen

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaP View Post
I'm not sure, Maureen, about the Coconut Oil and nausea with me, but it's always been that way. I've used it off and on for a couple of years and any time I went over that 1 T at a time, I was ill feeling for a couple of hours. I never have problems with it cooking, but too much straight, which it essentially is when dumping in coffee with nothing else, and I'm nauseated.
Ella
So interesting. I seem to have an upper limit as well. My DH can't go above a tablespoon or he gets nauseous and has other related digestive issues. I guess it is a lesson in intolerance. We are going to try spreading consumption out to a little later in the day. Our experience has been that the coconut oil has great appetite suppressing qualities - thus the interest in quantities.
Thank you for your thoughts.
Maureen
Old 10-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #183
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Ella, glad to hear about your journey. Did you do that really high ketone reading after you had eaten CO? I always do mine first thing in the AM, weight, wash hands, take BG and BK readings, then get my coffee and off to the computer.

Interesting in your walking 8 miles, one summer I just really got into walking and was doing 9 miles a day, not dieting and was so busy I really didn't realize how much smaller I had become, people starting making very nice comments about how great I looked. It really does help slim down your whole body. I am trying to get back into it but in a reasonable amount, like 1-2 miles 5 days a week or something like that.

You have had a great rate of loss since starting back on Aug. 3rd, I think you said.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaP View Post
Checked again this morning before any Coffee with Coconut Oil... Ketones 3.3, BS 74.

Down a pound today to 161.5 (my scale only goes in 1/2 pounds increments) I didn't fit in any vegetables yesterday because I didn't get home until 7:15 and don't eat past 8. Unfortunately, I always lose better after a no vegetable carb day, but I don't purposely eat that way. That's not a WOE I want to sustain on and I try to diet the way I want to eat always, whether for weight loss or not. Yesterday's calories were 1000 with macros of 77f/20p/3c.

This NK definitely works for me. About 2 1/2 years ago I lost 90 pounds in 8 months almost effortlessly. I was walking about 8 miles a week and VLC eating. I went back through my food log for that time frame and I didn't know it at the time, but I was essentially eating HF/MP/VLC then, too.

Wow Ella your ketosis numbers are great- I think dr Eenfeldt would call you a ketone master. I know it is so hard to stay off the roller coaster , but I feel by staying plugged into the positive motivational stuff- reading, participating in blogs and generally avoiding the disconnect should help avoid the malaise that allows us to wake up 45 lbs later with a carb hanger over and wonder mentally what changed ( we know what changed with the eating)
This time will be different!
Maureen
Then I got cocky, because it was so easy, and started allowing myself cheats when traveling, cheats on holidays, grandchildren's birthdays, funerals/memorials, cheats when in a hurry, etc. I gained back 45 pounds. It took me at least a year to get my head back into the game of losing. That's always more my battle than the actual dieting - getting back in the groove. I always do a couple of days then quit again. Once I get into it for real, I'm very happy with it, so here I am back at it again, since August 3 at 185 pounds, more aware this time of what works for me and enjoying it more, realizing this time that this can be a WOE with no cheats needed. Weight loss probably will not be quite as fast in the next few weeks as it was a couple of years ago because I'm not walking anymore, but I am enjoying my WOE much more this time, looking forward to the days of maintenance and doing it right this time, perhaps around the new year.
Wow Ella- you are the Ketosis Master!
Each of us ( or as the statistics reveal nearly all of us backslide). The strategy that may help is to refuse to unplug with what works even if the eating goes AWOL you need to stay plugged into the blogs, reading materials and your support system. Part of going AWOL is the ability to disconnect and become unconscious for that period, mine can go years, but when you reading the materials put out by Taubes and others it makes letting go a little harder- I hope!
Maureen
Old 10-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #185
Big Yapper!!!!

My DD, who started on this 2 weeks ago has had a hard time getting used to this WOE, but she started feeling better and really wanted to give it a good try. The end of the first week she cheated which set her back, but she got back on and just sent me a text this AM that she is down 2 lbs. I am so happy for her, just something to confirm to her that this is working!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #186
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by One maur time View Post
Thanks ! I am going to try to incorporate more of those items in my meals.
How do you feel about coconut cream ( 4 carbs per 1/3 cup but 16% fat)?
Maureen
I have never used it but only because I forget to get it when I am at the store. As long as your carbs are in the right range then it is perfectly fine. I think a lot of people on this thread love it and are using it. I'm very curious to see how it tastes in coffee myself
Old 10-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #187
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
My DD, who started on this 2 weeks ago has had a hard time getting used to this WOE, but she started feeling better and really wanted to give it a good try. The end of the first week she cheated which set her back, but she got back on and just sent me a text this AM that she is down 2 lbs. I am so happy for her, just something to confirm to her that this is working!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #188
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I have never used it but only because I forget to get it when I am at the store. As long as your carbs are in the right range then it is perfectly fine. I think a lot of people on this thread love it and are using it. I'm very curious to see how it tastes in coffee myself
I tried it instead of HWC in the root beer float, . But on its own, I could just drink the stuff, yikes!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
I tried it instead of HWC in the root beer float, . But on its own, I could just drink the stuff, yikes!!!
You messed with the sacredness of the Diet Root Beer HWC Float?!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #190
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
You messed with the sacredness of the Diet Root Beer HWC Float?!
I know, I know, how could I have even thought that might make it better??? There just ain't (intended) any getting better than AW diet root beer and HWC.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
I have a few jars of something called coconut cream...but it's not liquid. It's like a combo of coconut oil and ground coconut mixed together. It's like having dessert when you have a spoonful. My jars were purchased years ago....expiration date is 2007!!! ha ha Called the company and they said it was probably just fine. It is! Yummy stuff, but no way would I put it in any coffee or tea. It's like eating a soft macaroon I guess by the blended spoonful.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #192
Big Yapper!!!!

Shelley, I am pretty sure I have that same thing, Tropical Traditions is the brand I have. I love it but very calorie dense, so have to really hold back.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/184.6/152
WOE: ????
Start Date: This time: 5/19/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Okay, I know that it's totally off topic but I just have to share with all my NK friends. Some of you know that I am divorced. The ex and I split up not long after I lost my initial weight. At the time I had been a SAH mom for 11+ years and wasn't sure what to do about a career. Over the years I've tried a few different paths, but 4 years ago I started the process that culminated today with my CPA license! I can't tell you how good it feels to have made it to this goal. And I'm at my goal weight too!

Congratulations. That is NOT easy! YOU GO GIRL!

DG
Old 10-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/184.6/152
WOE: ????
Start Date: This time: 5/19/14
Quote:
Yes, it is hard and time consuming to get used to any of them, and then to make a switch is more time but sometimes worth it. I like the one I am using now but still not nearly as good as the one I purchased a long time ago, which now doesn't work on the new version of windows and they haven't updated it. Wow, it was so easy.
Buffy - your "old" one wasn't Life Form, was it? (or do I need to say rhymes with Wife Worm LOL!) I'm still on Windows XP and if LF doesn't work whenever I have to upgrade I'm going to cry buckets!!!!

I had to think about fairly late for a moment...

DG
Old 10-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #195
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsjuliekelly
Stats: 263/163/133
Start Date: Atkins 11/2001 NK 9/2013
May have broken my stall.

I think I may have broken my stall. I have been hovering between 162.5 and 164 for three weeks now. Finally yesterday morning I get below 162.5. I weighed 161.5. Today, again I weigh 161.5. Yahoo. During the first week on HFLC I lost about 5 pounds then not an ounce for the next three weeks. I know it is not a big loss but I am so happy that the scale is actually moving. I have never really been hungry. I love this way of eating.

Thank you for welcoming me to your group. It is fun reading about your daily menus, etc.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #196
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjuliekelly View Post
I think I may have broken my stall. I have been hovering between 162.5 and 164 for three weeks now. Finally yesterday morning I get below 162.5. I weighed 161.5. Today, again I weigh 161.5. Yahoo. During the first week on HFLC I lost about 5 pounds then not an ounce for the next three weeks. I know it is not a big loss but I am so happy that the scale is actually moving. I have never really been hungry. I love this way of eating.

Thank you for welcoming me to your group. It is fun reading about your daily menus, etc.
Congrats!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Shelley, I am pretty sure I have that same thing, Tropical Traditions is the brand I have. I love it but very calorie dense, so have to really hold back.
Yup...same one but I wasn't sure if I should give the name out. Glad you did and not me! ha ha ha

Bet your expiration date is more recent than my 2007 date!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Fabulous!!!!! The stalls are not much fun, either is it when you gain when you feel you should lose. Remember that it's sometimes a roller coaster ride and to not be discouraged. Congratulations. This way of eating is really fabulous.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:

Congrats to you. Isn't that moment just the best thing! Keep it up, and it will go down!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

I love coconut cream, and the very best I have found is from Trader Joes. there brand unsweetened, in a carton. I warm it to go in coffee. I also make a shake with it and coconut milk. freeze it slightly, add vanilla, almond flavor, stick blend it...wonderful. throw in an egg yolk, I use organic eggs, and don't think about it. extra yummy. Krisn had a brand she gets, but I have not found that one. Central Market has one that says "unsweetened" and it has sugar as the 4th ingredient, something terribly wrong there. Whole Foods has a good carton one too. They are all varying in carbs....Trader Joe's has 4g carb for 1 cup, 170 cal. I also use this in soups, creamy chicken soup with sausage this week, it really kicked it up. I use Trader Joes Coconut Milk too, it's the best, lowest carb.

shelly, I have the same other kind you do, and don't put it in drinks, it wasn't good at all! I spoon it out, it's like the coconut manna I got. Everything here stays smooth at room temp, well, cause it's warm all the time! I mix that stuff with almond butter. Most excellent taste combo.

Kristn, we hope you are having a blast!

Last edited by SouthernGirl61; 10-06-2012 at 08:13 PM..
Old 10-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #201
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
Buffy - your "old" one wasn't Life Form, was it? (or do I need to say rhymes with Wife Worm LOL!) I'm still on Windows XP and if LF doesn't work whenever I have to upgrade I'm going to cry buckets!!!!

I had to think about fairly late for a moment...

DG
Yes it was, I loved it, was so sad to find there was not an update
Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #202
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Yup...same one but I wasn't sure if I should give the name out. Glad you did and not me! ha ha ha

Bet your expiration date is more recent than my 2007 date!
not much
Old 10-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #203
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

great news
Old 10-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
Hey all,

I've been missing in action for a couple of weeks. I've been struggling to get on plan again after a little detour. Not really planned, but not out of control either. Just not quite getting things quite back to full ketosis levels.

I'm pretty sure it's sweeteners that were messing with me. Once I added them back in, I just struggled with cravings and I wasn't feeling really content on-plan. Even though I did keep losing slowly. Something was just off for me once I let them back into the plan. So. I'm back off for now. At least until Thanksgiving, I may allow for them while I'm traveling and with family to avoid sugar that week, but I'm doing a 45 Day no sweetener challenge starting tomorrow. So that's no artificial sweeteners of any kind, no small amounts of sugar in very dark chocolate, and no fruit. Nothing sweet, other than what's naturally sweet in some vegetables like red peppers or onions.

It will probably take me all week to get back into ketosis, so I'll wait till next Sunday to do a blood test. But I'm eager to get fully into NK and get all that energy and craving and appetite control back.

I love seeing how fantastically you all are doing with your plans and the encouraging, supportive enthusiasm of this group.

So here's my plan for the week: 20 g. carbs/day, 60-70 g. protein, and then fat to satiety, but trying to keep calories under 1600/day. And nothing sweet. Lift weights 3 times during the week and walk every day. I'm going to reduce my running to walking so that I can more comfortably drop calories back for a bit.

45 day goals--drop 1 size into 12s and lose 10 lbs to my 70 lbs total lost since starting number of 178 lbs.

--Jamie
Old 10-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #205
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
I'm another newbie to the nutritional ketosis. I've been low-carbing for 1-1/2 years and hit a definite stall this summer. After reading the September NK thread, I decided to give it a try. I think it's working for me - I lost 2 lbs. this week – but I'll really believe it's working if I don't gain them back within the month. Seems I'm always losing and regaining the same 5 lbs. at my ToM. :/

I've had the Bulletproof coffee for the past 3 days, and while I enjoy it, it seems to be causing my GERD to act up. But I'm curious to know: does anyone else feel like they have a furnace inside after eating coconut oil? I'd swear my temperature goes up a few degrees after eating that stuff!
Old 10-07-2012, 03:44 AM   #206
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I'm another newbie to the nutritional ketosis. I've been low-carbing for 1-1/2 years and hit a definite stall this summer. After reading the September NK thread, I decided to give it a try. I think it's working for me - I lost 2 lbs. this week – but I'll really believe it's working if I don't gain them back within the month. Seems I'm always losing and regaining the same 5 lbs. at my ToM. :/

I've had the Bulletproof coffee for the past 3 days, and while I enjoy it, it seems to be causing my GERD to act up. But I'm curious to know: does anyone else feel like they have a furnace inside after eating coconut oil? I'd swear my temperature goes up a few degrees after eating that stuff!
MK, are you wheat-free and gluten-free?

YES! I'm a blow torch sometimes lol. Even a few hours later I'll get hot.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post

Welcome! Yep, CO sends my system in high drive. I can feel my heart beating faster. I started with 1 teaspoon, and no more than 1T in all my coffee in morning, which is the only time I drink it during the day. I don't have the same feeling when using it to cook. maybe it's the caffeine assisting with the rush? caffeine is used to rush migraine meds, it's great at that....so maybe that's it. I like it now, but it did leave me a bit concerned at first. I don't consume as much CO as the rest, likely why I have struggled and ohters are doing so great!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Kids4me View Post
Hey all,

I've been missing in action for a couple of weeks. I've been struggling to get on plan again after a little detour. Not really planned, but not out of control either. Just not quite getting things quite back to full ketosis levels.

I'm pretty sure it's sweeteners that were messing with me. Once I added them back in, I just struggled with cravings and I wasn't feeling really content on-plan. Even though I did keep losing slowly. Something was just off for me once I let them back into the plan. So. I'm back off for now. At least until Thanksgiving, I may allow for them while I'm traveling and with family to avoid sugar that week, but I'm doing a 45 Day no sweetener challenge starting tomorrow. So that's no artificial sweeteners of any kind, no small amounts of sugar in very dark chocolate, and no fruit. Nothing sweet, other than what's naturally sweet in some vegetables like red peppers or onions.

It will probably take me all week to get back into ketosis, so I'll wait till next Sunday to do a blood test. But I'm eager to get fully into NK and get all that energy and craving and appetite control back.

I love seeing how fantastically you all are doing with your plans and the encouraging, supportive enthusiasm of this group.

So here's my plan for the week: 20 g. carbs/day, 60-70 g. protein, and then fat to satiety, but trying to keep calories under 1600/day. And nothing sweet. Lift weights 3 times during the week and walk every day. I'm going to reduce my running to walking so that I can more comfortably drop calories back for a bit.

45 day goals--drop 1 size into 12s and lose 10 lbs to my 70 lbs total lost since starting number of 178 lbs.

--Jamie
I have cut wayyy back on artifical sweetners for three days, and I am not certain I feel different, but I was drinking too many of them. I know that anything with asparatame makes me think I hungry, triggers insulin for me. the others do not. so I am getting the "cokes" with splenda only, but for my teas I have cut it in half. will see if that helps too. sweets are a trigger, so I am with you on that, going back to basics.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #209
Big Yapper!!!!

Jamie, glad to see you back, sounds like you are ready to get going again.

MK. to our group and WOE, it seems to have worked well for others who had stalled. Congrats on the 2 lbs. My weight bounces up and down but is on a downward trend which is what we want.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #210
Big Yapper!!!!

Saw a new low on the scales today, just hope it hangs in therefor my weekly weight posting tomorrow but i was very thrilled to see it
Closed Thread