Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
There's another book about doing the low carb, high fat woe, called "Get Skinny Without Going Hungry" by Lydia D. Skog, that is available from Amazon only in a Kindle edition. Is any Kindle user here willing to buy it (for just $2.99) and share information from it with the rest of us? I'd buy it and post from it if it weren't in a Kindle format, but I don't use a Kindle. It won't have a lot of information; it's just 36 pages long (estimated), so it's more like a pamphlet. But it might have leads to other sources, or some good recipes or tips. According to the sneak peek look from Amazon, it is this woman's personal story of how she lost weight and a how-to guide with summary information.
I would do it, but I don't have time to post much in the next few weeks. It sounds interesting.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ebeads
Stats: yikes/tryingmybest/ihopeihope
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart May 10,2012
I use the "cloud reader" so I downloaded Get Skinny Without Going Hungry. Folks, we have about 20 more times the good information here in the LCF forum than in this little book. The author also does not suggest a limit on amounts so her plan would work for the people who have success on the original Atkins. There are just a couple silly recipes and no new insights. We here know that one size never fits all and there are people like me who have metabolic challenges and must monitor overall numbers. This is why your posts here in this forum are a Godsend. Thank you so very much!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Good morning all!

My ketones are up this morning (2.2), weight still below goal (149.6). I'm feeling great, just need to get everything finished up at work, give a presentation, and finish packing before we leave for vacation tomorrow morning.

Eyeballing is going well so far, but I still may pack my food scale. I trust myself on everything except for meat and cheese. I guess it depends how close I get to the weight limit on my suitcase--it's always touch-and-go as I tend to overpack.

It's great to see all the new people and delurkers!

Have a great day everyone!
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #124
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Thanks Judy! that may really help. I should have started tracking sooner, but I really thought I could eyeball this stuff. then listening to all about the extra time to get it to log in kinda discouraged me....but I realize I have to keep up, track, and first couple times I am amazed at the carbs and protein amounts I was not eyeballing well. It is a daily task, one that will be more routine with these great tips! As I told someone today,

If you want to accomplish something, you actually have to DO something!
Just a quick note. There are other logs besides ****** to use that are quicker. I use one that rhymes with my witness pal (can't mention its name). I used ****** for years but once I got use to another one found it's much faster to save and enter meals, or flat out just add calories if lazy.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #125
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Good morning all!

My ketones are up this morning (2.2), weight still below goal (149.6). I'm feeling great, just need to get everything finished up at work, give a presentation, and finish packing before we leave for vacation tomorrow morning.

Eyeballing is going well so far, but I still may pack my food scale. I trust myself on everything except for meat and cheese. I guess it depends how close I get to the weight limit on my suitcase--it's always touch-and-go as I tend to overpack.

It's great to see all the new people and delurkers!

Have a great day everyone!
Have a wonderful trip Kristn!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Maureen, we surely would love to have you join us and share your experience and knowledge

Thank you. I am so excited to participate. This morning I hit my all time ketone high of .7. I have been diligently trying to get into the elevated levels since the beginning of September. I have started adding Kristn's supplement of coconut cream from Trader Joe's. Much more palatable in Coffee then the CO- at least for me! I also pick up the Norwegian book 'lose weight by eating' on Kindle. Interesting!
Have a great Day Buffy!
Maureen
Old 10-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Maureen!
Thank you! I hope you enjoy your well deserved vacation! Congrats on the CPA licensing! Fantastic!
Maureen
Old 10-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
Just a quick note. There are other logs besides ****** to use that are quicker. I use one that rhymes with my witness pal (can't mention its name). I used ****** for years but once I got use to another one found it's much faster to save and enter meals, or flat out just add calories if lazy.
That's funny. I have been using ****** too, but it is SO cumbersome and takes so long for all the ads to load. THANK YOU for mentioning rhymes with witness pal!

I actually joined that a day ago but didn't log anything - I have so many custom foods on ******.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #129
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: clairie
Stats: 175/168/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 9/12
I use something that rhymes with fairly late. it's fast and has pie charts.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I just checked again this AM and my f/g was 112 and b/k were 0.4.

I am so NOT in NK.

Just another kick in the gut.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #131
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
That's funny. I have been using ****** too, but it is SO cumbersome and takes so long for all the ads to load. THANK YOU for mentioning rhymes with witness pal!

I actually joined that a day ago but didn't log anything - I have so many custom foods on ******.
Yes, it is hard and time consuming to get used to any of them, and then to make a switch is more time but sometimes worth it. I like the one I am using now but still not nearly as good as the one I purchased a long time ago, which now doesn't work on the new version of windows and they haven't updated it. Wow, it was so easy.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #132
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post

I am so NOT in NK.

Hmmm.....makes me wonder if I am? I would normally swear that I was - how could I not be?????

Makes me think that the fasting b.g. has something to do with it. I wonder if you have considered something like berberine. It sounds promising to me but .... it is like metformin. If you have a look at the wiki info, it may even be a bit better. I have ordered a 3 month supply.......

Last edited by clackley; 10-04-2012 at 07:51 AM..
Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

I am so NOT in NK.

Are you hungry?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #134
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

I am so NOT in NK.

You prob have already done this but post your daily menu, let's see if we can help you out here. Might be some hidden carbs lurking somewhere. Do you fix most or all of your own food or have to eat out or rely on others?

My BK does vary, a couple of days ago it was 1.7, today, 0.7. My numbers were just about the same each day? Not sure yet what all plays into it.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Sbbing
Old 10-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #136
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Just a bit of background about Sten Skaldeman: Here's what the blurb on his book says:
"He is the author of several books on nutrition which have been bestsellers across Scandinavia. When Skaldeman was 60 years old, he weighed 150 kilos (300 lb). He had pre-diabetes, the highest blood pressure ever measured at his local hospital--and he had tried everything to make himself better. Finally defeated, he decided to give up. He just wanted to eat steaks, beef, eggs, and bacon for the little time he had left to live. To his surprise, this 'crazy' decision saved his life. One and a half years later, he had lost 60 kilos. He now shares the secrets of this effective diet with his readers and students." (Something gives me the impression that he was a journalist before writing about this diet he adopted, but I could be wrong.) This approach is VERY popular in Scandinavia.
Just got an email that my book has shipped but still estimates delivery between Oct. 24 and Oct. 31.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #137
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:

I am so NOT in NK.

I've no advice, just sending some hugs your way.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #138
Junior LCF Member

here's some hugs too drjlocarb!

for what it's worth I was only 0.7 today- the lowest in a long time. Could be some gluconeogenesis sp? going on overnight- or ... what else could it be? liver dumping glucose to fuel muscles still? I wonder will that ever stop? and if we are training our bodies to use fat for fuel, what goes on with the liver and glycogen stores?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:

I am so NOT in NK.

Hi there.....I"m with you today. I've been doing "everything" right and have beautiful calories, macros, etc., but I haven't been able to get my NK readings above .9 and today my fasting b/g was 107 (was 88 2 days ago and I was so excited).

No reason for it other than I believe in the Swedish guy and what svenskamae wrote from his book that for "some people" (that would probably be us!!!!) it takes 6 months before the body finally gives in.

I am wondering if those that are 1.5 and over on ketones did strict Atkins for years before, of if this is a new way of eating, and therefore their bodies adjusted faster? I haven't had more than 20 total carbs in years...and so maybe my body is not reacting as quickly as others. Maybe the same for you? Our bodies are used to having higher glucose from years of strict eating and now we are lowering protein and increasing fat (carbs remaining very low) and so we are in that small percentage where it will take up to 6 months?

I also have gained for the last 4 days...a little bit each day. I'm not enjoying that too much when I have dropped my calories from 1400 to 1200 as well.

Can I scream and say "Not Fair"!!!!!??????
Old 10-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
You prob have already done this but post your daily menu, let's see if we can help you out here. Might be some hidden carbs lurking somewhere. Do you fix most or all of your own food or have to eat out or rely on others?

My BK does vary, a couple of days ago it was 1.7, today, 0.7. My numbers were just about the same each day? Not sure yet what all plays into it.
I did post menus for a couple of days in the thread.
I fix all my own food from scratch. The only store bought stuff I have are my condiments.

Quote:
I've no advice, just sending some hugs your way.
THANKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairie View Post
here's some hugs too drjlocarb!

for what it's worth I was only 0.7 today- the lowest in a long time. Could be some gluconeogenesis sp? going on overnight- or ... what else could it be? liver dumping glucose to fuel muscles still? I wonder will that ever stop? and if we are training our bodies to use fat for fuel, what goes on with the liver and glycogen stores?
Most definitely gluconeogenesis!
There should be no glycogen stored if my carbs are under 10-15g.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Hi there.....I"m with you today. I've been doing "everything" right and have beautiful calories, macros, etc., but I haven't been able to get my NK readings above .9 and today my fasting b/g was 107 (was 88 2 days ago and I was so excited).

No reason for it other than I believe in the Swedish guy and what svenskamae wrote from his book that for "some people" (that would probably be us!!!!) it takes 6 months before the body finally gives in.

I am wondering if those that are 1.5 and over on ketones did strict Atkins for years before, of if this is a new way of eating, and therefore their bodies adjusted faster? I haven't had more than 20 total carbs in years...and so maybe my body is not reacting as quickly as others. Maybe the same for you? Our bodies are used to having higher glucose from years of strict eating and now we are lowering protein and increasing fat (carbs remaining very low) and so we are in that small percentage where it will take up to 6 months?

I also have gained for the last 4 days...a little bit each day. I'm not enjoying that too much when I have dropped my calories from 1400 to 1200 as well.

Yes, you can scream too!!

Yes, I wll continue to the 6 mo. mark and probably beyond.

I have double header softball games tonight, so will check in in the morning.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Kristn....hope you day went well (presentation and all) and that you are all ready to go on your trip. Have a great time!!!!

Hope you won both softball games drjlocarb!! And if you weren't playing, hope you had fun watching! :-)

Last edited by shelley; 10-04-2012 at 04:02 PM..
Old 10-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #143
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post

I'll scream with you!!! I want this to work. I am committed. It would be really awesome to lose a pound or two- just to keep me motivated.

I'm trying to eat to hunger today, not to the clock. I am so about the clock- but reading Jimmy's blog from this morning makes me think about tuning in to my own hunger signals. He talk about eating once a day now, and then he isn't hungry the rest of the time. I love to eat- love it. So, I look forward to when I get to eat again. I think I need to turn that around to eating when I'm hungry.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
There's another book about doing the low carb, high fat woe, called "Get Skinny Without Going Hungry" by Lydia D. Skog, that is available from Amazon only in a Kindle edition. Is any Kindle user here willing to buy it (for just $2.99) and share information from it with the rest of us? I'd buy it and post from it if it weren't in a Kindle format, but I don't use a Kindle. It won't have a lot of information; it's just 36 pages long (estimated), so it's more like a pamphlet. But it might have leads to other sources, or some good recipes or tips. According to the sneak peek look from Amazon, it is this woman's personal story of how she lost weight and a how-to guide with summary information.
I just borrowed it for free on my Kindle. I'll post after I read it.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairie View Post
I'll scream with you!!! I want this to work. I am committed. It would be really awesome to lose a pound or two- just to keep me motivated.

I'm trying to eat to hunger today, not to the clock. I am so about the clock- but reading Jimmy's blog from this morning makes me think about tuning in to my own hunger signals. He talk about eating once a day now, and then he isn't hungry the rest of the time. I love to eat- love it. So, I look forward to when I get to eat again. I think I need to turn that around to eating when I'm hungry.
I really agree that Jimmy is spot on about eating when you're hungry and not be triggered by meal times. I think Jimmy raised many of the issues that this community has observed- too much protein, not enough fat and too many overall calories impact weight loss.

Maureen
Old 10-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
thank you! I am trying to learn the rules and not do something to get zapped!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Welcome Maureen! Reading the posts this evening seems like a lot of us have bodies that don't understand we would rather lose than hold. All I can add is that I eat when the body says hungry, and it is working better than trying to eat on a clock, especially when I am not hungry. I will have faith and patience that this is when my body is trying to figure out if I am serious about this fat for fuel business, or if I am going to send it more protein to work with. I think it is adjusting yet again.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jimmy sounds like me - in NK.

I am 54 and have been very food-motivated all my life.
Any "diet" I started made me start compiling compulsive lists of 'acceptable' and 'free' foods and preparing to eat lots of those foods.

That's where this type of eating changed everything for me. I ate to a specific amount of protein (54 grams for me), limited my carbs to a certain amount, and ate as much fat as I wanted in whatever form (fat bombs, chocolate candy). And I do weigh/measure.

It did not take me long to not be hungry at all.

However, as some of you have noted, I was not eating low carb prior to this. I made a huge shift all at once - no sugar, no grains, high fat, low carb, modified protein.
And no hunger. And I do eat 2 meals/day now.

I still wonder if some of you who are hungry are eating enough fat to keep you satisfied.

I've lost 18.5 pounds since early June. Still 10 pounds from goal.
Recently discovered hypothyroid... tests still being run.

Even if I did not lose 1 more pound, I love not being hungry and not searching for the next meal or bite of food.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Welcome Maureen! Reading the posts this evening seems like a lot of us have bodies that don't understand we would rather lose than hold. All I can add is that I eat when the body says hungry, and it is working better than trying to eat on a clock, especially when I am not hungry. I will have faith and patience that this is when my body is trying to figure out if I am serious about this fat for fuel business, or if I am going to send it more protein to work with. I think it is adjusting yet again.
Thank you! I think you are on the right path...looking to join you.
Maureen
Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #150
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/22/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by One maur time View Post

I have been following LCHF for almost 2 years. I have lost 65 pounds. I have about 40 more I would like to lose. Like many of you, I have been strictly adhering to the LCHF tenents , but have been facing a challenging stall. I follow Jimmy Moore, Dr Eenfeldt , gary taubes, peter attia, finney and Volek and couple of other posters attempting Ketosis. I have purchased a few months worth of the ketone strips and can't seem to get above .4-ugh!!!
Welcome Maureen,

Many of us have switched to this method after encountering a stall. The protein may indeed be too high, as you've been suspecting - this is what I encountered as well as others on this thread. Once I lowered my protein from about 100g a day to about 80g per day I was able to get consistently into ketosis. That is near the low end of the amount that Phinney/Volek recommend for my target lean body mass. The ratio is .6 to 1g per lb of lean body mass. Try cutting the protein down to .6 ratio for a week and see if that helps break the stall. If hunger increases, add fat before adding protein. And congrats on your amazing loss to date!

Mike
Closed Thread