Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I brought the Skaldeman book to work with me. I looked through the book again to see what he said about taking time to adapt to fat burning. He refers to 3 phases: 1) Phase I lasts about a week, when your brain gets used to running on ketones; 2) Phase II may go on for up to 6 months, during which your body gets used to burning fat ; 3) Phase III, where your body primarily runs on fat and expects a fat-based diet (which is what the author has followed for years). He thinks that he finished Phase II in about 4 months, and was then fully adapted to fat-burning, but some people take longer.

He says that perhaps 1 out 5 people has difficult adapting to the fatburning diet and losing weight, despite following the plan diligently. Here are the most likely causes and his proposed solutions:
1) "Your body is uncertain about what is happening ... and has responded by saving its fat." Solution: Be patient and stay with the program. "The solution is to establish stable habits and convince your body that enough food is available--the right kind of food!"
2) "You eat too little fat." "A high amount of fat in the diet induces the body to burn fat. Low fat food does the opposite. The more fat that you eat, the more fat you burn." (Fat should comprise at least 70 percent of calories, saturated fats are best and polyunsaturated fats are worst.)
3) "You eat too many carbohydrates." His plan allows for only 12 net carbs per day for the strictest plan. "Avoid all manufactured food!" (to avoid hidden carbs).
4) "You don't sleep well ... An exhausted body saves its reserves."
5) "You eat something that hinders your weight loss." This varies across individuals; likely suspects are cheese, nuts, coffee, and fruit. The author says he can eat cheese but can't lose weight eating nuts; you have to experiment.
SIX MONTHS!? ok, maybe this is part of my issue.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
For the dunking test you do go underwater and blow out all of the air from your lungs. You have to do it a few times and it's actually quite disconcerting. There are youtube videos of the process. I think I might try to do the DXA scan next time.

I hope that your hormones stabilize soon!

For copying previous days food on the tracker you mentioned there's a drop-down menu "recent foods" on the left. Drop all the way down to the bottom to "more". This will open up a window that has all of the foods listed for previous days. You can check the boxes you want and then hit "add all checked foods".
Maybe DXA Scan then. Asthma and blowing out air don't sound like a good mix....!
Thanks for the tip on ******. I am trying to log in, get it down and keep track. You all are on the mark, this stuff must be tracked.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeEO View Post
That is fantastic, good for you!

You know I am really amazed at the sense of "community" that you ladies share on this thread. You are all so supportive of each other...When I am reading this thread, I sometime I feel like I am eavesdropping on a private conversation.

So lesson's learned most recently:
1) I have been supplementing with sodium and potassium as per the Phinney/Volek book by drinking some home-made "keto-aide" (Lime, salt, lite-salt, stevia) and also drinking Powerade Zero (zero carb sports drink).
I think I have been drinking too much sweetened drinks - which I think is
stimulating my hunger to some degree...I am switching to drinking a couple of bullion cubes instead.
2) Jimmy Moore had an interesting blog post comparing the Precision Xtra and NovaMax Plus...Basically the NovaMax Plus is less accurate than the Precision Xtra. I recalled read a couple of posts on one of the NK threads about how the NovaMax is inaccurate in reporting blood glucose.
3) I hardest think about NK is limiting my protein.Before starting this woe I was easily eating 150 to 200 grams of protein daily....not I am down to 75 to 100 grams.....

Peace,

Joe E O
Joe! Cutting back on protein was really hard for me too. You do get used to it and my experience has been that once you've been strongly in ketosis a while and you are active you can up the protein slightly (while watching with your meter) and stay in ketosis.

I just read the Jimmy Moore post about the meters. Have people here been getting the "LO" reading on their Nova meters a lot? I have never had that reading, but have lost a few strips to errors. The Nova meter has worked fine for me, although I'm going to give up on the BG testing once the strips are gone.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Maybe DXA Scan then. Asthma and blowing out air don't sound like a good mix....!
Thanks for the tip on ******. I am trying to log in, get it down and keep track. You all are on the mark, this stuff must be tracked.
I think the DXA scan sounds like the way to go. The only reason I chose the dunk was that it was more convenient and less expensive.

Good luck with the tracking--I agree that it's key. FYI--we're not supposed to promote any specific tracking sites here as it violates the TOS.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all! I'm still eyeballing, still in ketosis (1.2), and still under 150 lbs (though up slightly from yesterday at 149.2). I am super sore from Monday's workout which may explain the slight increase in weight.

How is everyone else this morning?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
I think the DXA scan sounds like the way to go. The only reason I chose the dunk was that it was more convenient and less expensive.

Good luck with the tracking--I agree that it's key. FYI--we're not supposed to promote any specific tracking sites here as it violates the TOS.
Southern Girl this may not pertain to you on ****** but it did to me; you must be in the "classic view" to use those pull-down menus Kristn is talking about. I was offered the beta version and it defaults to that every time I log on. You want to look at the top of the page and choose "classic view". Easier to copy foods and custom foods to your new day.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #97
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: clairie
Stats: 175/168/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 9/12
HI everyone!

I slept 10 hours last night! It felt great. Went to bed at 8:30. I have been so exhausted the last couple weeks. Morning blood sugars are 98, which is lower than it has been last few days. Sleep is so good for that.

I started the day with great intentions of trying a fat fast day, but then as the day wore on I was hungrier than I wanted to be and caved to the extra calories. I had put a pork roast in the slow cooker and it smelled so good all day! Not a good idea when cutting back on calories!!

Although I am in ketosis now consistently, an in the 1.4 area, I haven't lost any weight. Reading that the body might take months to switch over to fat burning is a ray of hope that someday I'll be leaner. I will keep it going, despite the slow loss, or no loss!
I have to remember it isn't all about the weight and that eating this way is so good for so many other reasons.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #98
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
:I just read the Jimmy Moore post about the meters. Have people here been getting the "LO" reading on their Nova meters a lot? I have never had that reading, but have lost a few strips to errors. The Nova meter has worked fine for me, although I'm going to give up on the BG testing once the strips are gone.
I like my Nova meter too and it has worked fine but I have wasted about 7 strips due to an error reading, no reading?, etc. Makes me when that happens.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #99
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Good morning all! I'm still eyeballing, still in ketosis (1.2), and still under 150 lbs (though up slightly from yesterday at 149.2). I am super sore from Monday's workout which may explain the slight increase in weight.

How is everyone else this morning?
Awesome!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #100
Big Yapper!!!!

Last night I had crab legs for dinner which are high in sodium, this morning woke up to swollen fingers, weight up a tiny bit, BF % down and ketone reading down. Interesting when you track so close as it makes you realize what does what to your body. Not to avoid those things b/c they all rebalance but it is interesting. Really, the only reading I really liked was the BF one,
Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Your interpretation seems very consistent with the reasoning in the book translated from Swedish, which I've been summarizing. The book has a very pragmatic focus (do this, it works), without much explanatory framework other than insulin resistence. But the author seems to firmly believe that you have to train your body to burn fat, by eating a high fat diet, and to acknowledge that the process of adapting can take people many months (much longer than a few days of "induction flu").
I bought the book thanks to your rec. I like what I am reading so far, especially the recipes. But you are right, very pragmatic. I think we get lots of the "science" behind it from Phinney/Volek, and here, and Jimmy's blog, etc. I am pretty sure we all know it works, it's just that sometimes what "works" for everyone else doesn't work for us. It does feel pretty amazing to learn so much more about why despite a 900 calorie a day diet I could not lose weight, and even why on the normal Atkins LC I didn't after the initial whoosh. (too much protein)

Anyways, thanks so much for the book rec. Another bullet in the arsenal!

6/22/13 restart of NK
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #102
Big Yapper!!!!

Amy, how did you get the book so fast, I was told it would take until the end of Oct. to receive mine?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Good morning everyone. Love all the conversations and how people are doing. Glad I'm not the only one sort of "stalled", but determined to continue as I feel good, have energy to walk 5 miles a day, and am not craving any foods.

Yesterday was my first day dropping my protein (again). I was hungry last night when I got ready for bed but "white knuckled" the feeling per someones advice (thank you). Joe, the dropping of protein can be tough if you are used to having a lot...I was doing that Eades protein power thing (and body for life nonfat/high protein) and was used to having lots of protein...and I also gained about 20# doing it! So, I am lowering, and lowering again for October. Sticking with my "new minimum" for a full month.

My ketones are staying in the low range still, but my glucose went down yesterday to 88 which is very unusual for me (always 90-115!) So, that was exciting.

My Nova Max Plus meter has only given me one error reading and I expected it. I test ketones first and use the same "drop" on my finger for glucose and that one morning it was a small "drop" of blood and I guess I'm a really good healer as I couldn't get "more squeezed" so tested...no enough blood for the glucose. But I have not had any problems with the meter and really like the lancet thingie that they sent with mine that has numbers of 1-5 to choose for "pressure" in poking.

Clairie...glad you are doing what I'm doing and sticking with this.

Svenskamae....keep writing to us about what you read and will share. I'm so enjoying your posts about your discoveries.

Kristn, are you leaving tomorrow? If so, have a fabulous time!!!! Hope your eyeballing works for your eating while playing and enjoying! You'll do great I'm sure. Have fun!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Kristn, are you leaving tomorrow? If so, have a fabulous time!!!! Hope your eyeballing works for your eating while playing and enjoying! You'll do great I'm sure. Have fun!
We leave early Friday morning. I still have 1.5 days of work and a presentation to get through.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #105
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pot Pie
Stats: 221.6/173.4/125
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: LC: 2010 NK: September 29 2012
Well I finally see a loss on the scale! I have been doing NK for 5 days now. The morning after the first day my weight shot up 2.4lbs but I have seen a loss every day since then and today's loss puts me lower than my Day 1 weight by 0.6lbs! Also I am feeling less hungry. Although that could be because I wasn't a fan of the turkey salad I made for breakfast this morning. Hope you are all doing well!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom_2_4
Stats: 298/210/150ish
WOE: Atkins for the first 100 lbs now doing NK
Start Date: August 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Amy, how did you get the book so fast, I was told it would take until the end of Oct. to receive mine?
I got mine immediately on my kindle app for my ipad Just a guess that maybe she used that??

How has everyone been today? I lost another pound this morning, feeling good, not too hungry but have been pretty sleepy lately.... although it has been a very long and stressful week already. Have the memorial service for my sons FFA teacher that was killed and then hopefully I can get to bed before midnight tonight!

Spending another weekend at the fair, last weekend it'll be here. Is it ok to drink a beer? I drank one micholob (sp?) ultra and felt soooooooo guilty!!! Guess it didn't hurt cause I kept losing but I was wondering what everyone else does when they want (or need lol) a drink??
Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_2_4 View Post
I got mine immediately on my kindle app for my ipad Just a guess that maybe she used that??

How has everyone been today? I lost another pound this morning, feeling good, not too hungry but have been pretty sleepy lately.... although it has been a very long and stressful week already. Have the memorial service for my sons FFA teacher that was killed and then hopefully I can get to bed before midnight tonight!

Spending another weekend at the fair, last weekend it'll be here. Is it ok to drink a beer? I drank one micholob (sp?) ultra and felt soooooooo guilty!!! Guess it didn't hurt cause I kept losing but I was wondering what everyone else does when they want (or need lol) a drink??
Try to drink a light beer rather than a regular beer, to reduce your carb intake. I drink a glass of dry white wine very occasionally. Some people drink vodka mixed with diet sodas. But not drinking alcohol at all is better, in terms of weightloss.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #108
Big Yapper!!!!

Getting the book on the kindle explains it, I really wanted the hard copy to be able to make notes, bend pages, etc. Thanks.

You are doing great Mom 2 4, I would guess the being kind of tired is because you probably are tired with all that has been going on for you and your family.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #109
Big Yapper!!!!

I am in my 5th week already, wow, the time went fast. Started out determined to stick with it for 2 weeks, at the end of 2, then definitely wanted to keep going and now, no thoughts of stopping. I really am liking this WOE, just hope the weight loss continues and the improvements I am seeing health wise and I am sure they will.

I have been looking at so many blogs and recipes, and so many ideas to try that I can't get them all tried. Most everything I have tried is very good as well. The new improved sweeteners that you can cook with sure help. I do get hungry but not until it is time to eat again, and then I do just that, eat what I have planned and am good to go for another few hours.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_2_4 View Post
I drink vodka and either diet soda or soda water. I love wine but it doesn't love me. Not sure about the beer as I have never liked it.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I am in my 5th week already, wow, the time went fast. Started out determined to stick with it for 2 weeks, at the end of 2, then definitely wanted to keep going and now, no thoughts of stopping. I really am liking this WOE, just hope the weight loss continues and the improvements I am seeing health wise and I am sure they will.

I have been looking at so many blogs and recipes, and so many ideas to try that I can't get them all tried. Most everything I have tried is very good as well. The new improved sweeteners that you can cook with sure help. I do get hungry but not until it is time to eat again, and then I do just that, eat what I have planned and am good to go for another few hours.
Congratulations on making it through 5 weeks! How great to see both weight loss and health improvements. KUTGW!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #112
Big Yapper!!!!

This is what I had today, I think I am done, but if needed, might add a little fatty snack later. This is a pretty typical day for me.

Breakfast
Coconut Oil, 2 tbsp
Regular Coffee, 4 cup (8 fl oz)

Lunch
Butter, salted, 1 tbsp
Cream Cheese, 1 oz
Tilapia, 5.5 oz

Dinner
Fish, Swai Fillet, 4.25 oz
Butter, salted, 1 tbsp
Avocados, California (Haas), 0.5 fruit without skin and seeds

Snack
Pecans, 5 grams
Cocoa, dry powder, unsweetened, 2 tbsp
Butter, salted, 0.33
2 tbsp Cream Cheese,
Sour Cream, 2 tbsp
Heavy Whipping Cream, 2 tbsp
A&W Root Beer, Diet, 1 serving

My totals today Calories 1,368, Fat 124, carbs 18, protein 61, fiber 10
My day's Values Proteins, 17%, Carbohydrates, 5.1%, Fats, 77.9%
Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #113
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Congratulations on making it through 5 weeks! How great to see both weight loss and health improvements. KUTGW!
Thanks so much Kristn, as you know, it was your story that got me back to LC.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Southern Girl this may not pertain to you on ****** but it did to me; you must be in the "classic view" to use those pull-down menus Kristn is talking about. I was offered the beta version and it defaults to that every time I log on. You want to look at the top of the page and choose "classic view". Easier to copy foods and custom foods to your new day.
Thanks Judy! that may really help. I should have started tracking sooner, but I really thought I could eyeball this stuff. then listening to all about the extra time to get it to log in kinda discouraged me....but I realize I have to keep up, track, and first couple times I am amazed at the carbs and protein amounts I was not eyeballing well. It is a daily task, one that will be more routine with these great tips! As I told someone today,

If you want to accomplish something, you actually have to DO something!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pot Pie View Post
Well I finally see a loss on the scale! I have been doing NK for 5 days now. The morning after the first day my weight shot up 2.4lbs but I have seen a loss every day since then and today's loss puts me lower than my Day 1 weight by 0.6lbs! Also I am feeling less hungry. Although that could be because I wasn't a fan of the turkey salad I made for breakfast this morning. Hope you are all doing well!
Congrats! that is wonderful. I was very very hungry for about a week, now, not so much.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
May I join you?

Dear Fellow Ketosis Chasers
I have been observing from the sidelines for a few weeks. Your group has been sooo generous and supportive! I have to share that I derive inspiration from your triumphs and become educated by the unanticipated outcomes.

I have been following LCHF for almost 2 years. I have lost 65 pounds. I have about 40 more I would like to lose. Like many of you, I have been strictly adhering to the LCHF tenents , but have been facing a challenging stall. I follow Jimmy Moore, Dr Eenfeldt , gary taubes, peter attia, finney and Volek and couple of other posters attempting Ketosis. I have purchased a few months worth of the ketone strips and can't seem to get above .4-ugh!!!

I really believe in this method - it feels inherently right. I think my problem is too much protein. Carbs are not a big deal for me- so I don't think they are the culprit. My fat nutrition has to be intentional and like other posters once you start regularly supplementing with dietary fat - hunger disappears and satiety ensues. I am down to 2 meals a day. I even have my DH on board ( he is a type II diabetic with Hypertension with about 70 lbs to lose). After having exhaustively followed the postings/blogs and reading a library of low carb books and articles- one of the most startling revelations is that although most of us can influence the outcome ( in terms of improvement) much of the damage was outside of our control when disabled without the right information and burdened with the stereotypes of gluttony and sloth. I know this WOE is the answer- I would like to join you all in exploring how to fine tune this method!

Many Thanks,
Maureen
Old 10-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #117
Big Yapper!!!!

Maureen, we surely would love to have you join us and share your experience and knowledge

Last edited by Buffy45; 10-03-2012 at 09:03 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pot Pie View Post
Congratulations on your loss!!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Maureen!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
There's another book about doing the low carb, high fat woe, called "Get Skinny Without Going Hungry" by Lydia D. Skog, that is available from Amazon only in a Kindle edition. Is any Kindle user here willing to buy it (for just $2.99) and share information from it with the rest of us? I'd buy it and post from it if it weren't in a Kindle format, but I don't use a Kindle. It won't have a lot of information; it's just 36 pages long (estimated), so it's more like a pamphlet. But it might have leads to other sources, or some good recipes or tips. According to the sneak peek look from Amazon, it is this woman's personal story of how she lost weight and a how-to guide with summary information.
Closed Thread