Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #841
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
I think I will go to my NPath instead of GYN, she will likely listen to my frustrations! Yes the FSA can bounce around, but once to hit a certain number, it tends to go up,up,up! I'm okay with it all, happy in fact. Just trying to learn a new game!
I'd definitely get them checked. My suggestion to younger women is to be sure to get a baseline hormone test when you're young and feeling good. That way you know what your "normal" is. As with everything, there's a large range. Good luck to you.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #842
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tablis
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/29/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Tablis, don't go too high quickly on the CO either, you won't like the results. Increase it slowly.

See the quote button on the lower right of the post, click that and it will put that post in your reply.
Thanks!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #843
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
See the buttons at the bottom right of every post? The first one says "quote".
Click that and it automatically opens up the Reply to Thread area with your quote the first thing you'll see.

Buffy you got that answer here first! Thank you.

I am concerned about 2 Tbsp. of coconut oil when you haven't been used to it.
It can make you feel nauseous - nauseated - I never know which is correct.
It will pass...
Thanks. I ate the CO as part of a fat bomb I made per recipe somewhere in this thread. I bought CO a long time ago bc i read that it could help and could not stomach it. Not frying with it and certainly not straight. I was excited to see the fat bomb recipe and tried it - I wouldn't say I find the stuff delicious yet but it goes down that's the main thing
Old 10-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #844
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Like a few others, I am questioning whether I've added too many nut flours and sugar alcohols. I do find it more difficult to track those.

So Kristn, I look at your typical day, and it's very very simple. I am not unhappy eating the same thing over and over either.

The only thing I see that I'm not familiar with and I'd like to sub something else is coconut cream. I imagine it's unsweetened, so how much fat is in 1/2 cup coconut cream? I bet I could do fat bombs to equal, do you think?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #845
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: omatic
Stats: 148/140/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablis View Post
WOW! Thank you guys (mom2zeke,cathyclackley,buffy45, southerengirl61) so much for the quick and helpful responses. Now I feel like I know what I'm doing.

I don't have a meter yet. Have to work on that. I used to use ketostix a lot at the beginning when I lost a lot of weight. It was great but I found that over time even when I felt like I was in ketosis the stick didn't turn purple and even when it was purple I didn't necessarily lose !?!
One thing that is scaring me is 20 total carbs... I've always counted net carbs and thought that was hard yipes. Does that mean no pysillium husks even though they have zero net carbs? Which magnesium do you recommend? I have one from solgar that is calcium+magnesium+boron and has 133 mg of mag. Is that ok?
Thanks all and I hope you are all where its dry and safe!
I take 800mg of Magnesium Malate daily. I take that amount to help with my migraines.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #846
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: omatic
Stats: 148/140/130
Quote:
Nice surprise on my scales this AM, a new low and a little over 1 1/2 lb loss since weighing yesterday. Wow, to me that is pretty much a whoosh! 194.4
Making good progress !
Old 10-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #847
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Like a few others, I am questioning whether I've added too many nut flours and sugar alcohols. I do find it more difficult to track those.

So Kristn, I look at your typical day, and it's very very simple. I am not unhappy eating the same thing over and over either.

The only thing I see that I'm not familiar with and I'd like to sub something else is coconut cream. I imagine it's unsweetened, so how much fat is in 1/2 cup coconut cream? I bet I could do fat bombs to equal, do you think?
According to the package 1/2 cup of coconut cream has 20 grams of fat. You could definitely do fat bombs instead.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #848
Senior LCF Member

Ketone monitor questions:

Any difference/preference between the Precision Xtra better and the novamax?
Is there some other brand to look at?

On Amazon the machines are not too pricey but the sticks are really going to add up. The novamax ones are cheaper and if the free machine really comes than that would really be nice.
Has anyone ordered the free novamax lately? I just filled out the form and it says 2-3 weeks. I wonder if they are still giving it away. I guess they make their $ back on those sticks
Old 10-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #849
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Ketone monitor questions:

Any difference/preference between the Precision Xtra better and the novamax?
Is there some other brand to look at?

On Amazon the machines are not too pricey but the sticks are really going to add up. The novamax ones are cheaper and if the free machine really comes than that would really be nice.
Has anyone ordered the free novamax lately? I just filled out the form and it says 2-3 weeks. I wonder if they are still giving it away. I guess they make their $ back on those sticks
You're right - they do make up their $ on the strips. EVERY meter should be given away because they only work if you buy their strips.

I feel the same way about printers...
Old 10-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #850
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Mine took about six weeks to arrive...and they sent two? Meant I got 4 free strips though.

And I've heard bad things about the blood glucose testing with it, but it was only one point away from my other meter when I tested. I guess YMMV with these things.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #851
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
Mine took about six weeks to arrive...and they sent two? Meant I got 4 free strips though.

And I've heard bad things about the blood glucose testing with it, but it was only one point away from my other meter when I tested. I guess YMMV with these things.
And remember that for every Nova meter you get you can register it and they will send you 2 more free ketone strips!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #852
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You're right - they do make up their $ on the strips. EVERY meter should be given away because they only work if you buy their strips.

I feel the same way about printers...
LOL, so true about printers...
Old 10-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #853
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

that's great, was it recently? do you know if they still do it?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #854
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
And remember that for every Nova meter you get you can register it and they will send you 2 more free ketone strips!
I didn't know that thank you. How often do you test? How long does a box of 10 last? Do you guys order from amazon or is there a better (cheaper) place?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #855
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I didn't know that thank you. How often do you test? How long does a box of 10 last? Do you guys order from amazon or is there a better (cheaper) place?
American Diabetes Warehouse seems to be the cheapest that we've found.

I am currently testing every day (I'm in maintenance). In my losing phase I tested daily until I got into ketosis consistently. Then I tested a few times a week or if I ate something unusual. I was pretty much eating the same thing every day and my ketones readings were pretty strong and consistent.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #856
Major LCF Poster!

I've only used the Nova. I know that Jimmy Moore had a blog post about the two meters and several people here have posted that the Nova reads a little low for ketones (and may be unreliable for blood glucose). The difference in price and convenience in ordering the strips has made me stick with the Nova.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #857
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I've only used the Nova. I know that Jimmy Moore had a blog post about the two meters and several people here have posted that the Nova reads a little low for ketones (and may be unreliable for blood glucose). The difference in price and convenience in ordering the strips has made me stick with the Nova.
Nova it is then. Thanks. May I bother you regarding Magnesium citrate vs malate? I plan to pick some up tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #858
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Nova it is then. Thanks. May I bother you regarding Magnesium citrate vs malate? I plan to pick some up tomorrow.
I think that the malate may be easier on your digestive system? I'm really not exactly sure. I like the citrate because it keeps things moving.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #859
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
If you think you're going to test blood glucose with the Nova, American Diabetes Warehouse has a pretty good deal on a package of 50 glucose strips, 10 ketone strips and a meter. It's cheaper than buying the 10 ketone strips and the 50 glucose strips separately. And you get 2 free ketone strips with the meter on top of that. I did this even though I already had a free meter because it was less expensive.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #860
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If you think you're going to test blood glucose with the Nova, American Diabetes Warehouse has a pretty good deal on a package of 50 glucose strips, 10 ketone strips and a meter. It's cheaper than buying the 10 ketone strips and the 50 glucose strips separately. And you get 2 free ketone strips with the meter on top of that. I did this even though I already had a free meter because it was less expensive.
Ummm... should i be testing glucose?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #861
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
that's great, was it recently? do you know if they still do it?
Yes, it was recently but I'm sure it was a mistake. I only got one email shipping notice.

Planning my second test for Friday, assuming I can keep it clean the next two days!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #862
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ummm... should i be testing glucose?
Not necessarily. Some of us do it for information purposes. But from the reports the Nova isn't necessarily very good for testing glucose anyway.

I kind of got hooked on it because my free meter came with some glucose strips. What can I say, I like putting these numbers into Excel.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #863
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes, it was recently but I'm sure it was a mistake. I only got one email shipping notice.

Planning my second test for Friday, assuming I can keep it clean the next two days!
well your picture looks great!
Old 10-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #864
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Not necessarily. Some of us do it for information purposes. But from the reports the Nova isn't necessarily very good for testing glucose anyway.

I kind of got hooked on it because my free meter came with some glucose strips. What can I say, I like putting these numbers into Excel.
ME TOO!
I totally love measurements and tracking
Old 10-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #865
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
That's exactly what I did. I had signed up for the free meter. Then I ordered the meter from ADW and got a meter and a box of ketone strips. Then I ordered again and got the deal with the 50 glucose strips, 10 ketone strips and a meter. So, I have 3 Nova Max Plus meters!!! The "free" one came weeks after the others had arrived...I didn't want to wait!

Re: glucose testing. Someone posted the best glucose meters from Consumer Reports a while back and of the 20 tested, the Nova Max came out #18. Not good. I have used 2 of the meters to test from the same blood drop and they were way off...like 10-15 points difference in the same drop! So, I don't rely on it anymore, but it's fun to do as long as you've already got a nice drop from the ketone test, so why not play with the glucose and see what happens. I'm not just relying on it for that any more. But that was a good deal and they ship really really fast!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #866
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Judy....I found that almond flour (just a bit) was enough to trigger for me to eat more and have cravings. I can't touch the stuff. I don't seem to have issues with the sugar alcohols...tried with and without them...no change. But nuts, seeds and nut butters. Holy Moly! They are my triggers.

I am glad to have Kristn's menu that she stuck with. I too am fine with eating the same things every day. I'm a bit taller that you two, and my goal weight is a bit lower, but I think I'm going to try out that menu for a few days to see what happens.

I also have been going to the gym now for 2 weeks...3 days a week of heavy (for me) weight lifting. I feel so much better doing that than anything else I've done. I'm not a cardio person at all, but love the feeling I get inside my body when lifting weights. Good for my bones too!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #867
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post

Shelly, I ended up at sparks as they have a free recipe builder. Do you mind sharing your calorie count and carbs? Do you use a sweetener for your fat bombs? Mine calculated to 141 but that did not add the cocoa nibs. I prefer peanut butter to almond as far as taste goes but I don't because of the starch. lol...

Hi....I don't use peanut butter since that is a "legume" and not a nut, so I stay away from it. My recipe is for almond butter (organic) and the recipe is the same one that Rebecca posted (and on her website and in Kristn's info at the start of the thread). I use EZ sweets drops. I put the concoction into a Wilton silicone pan which holds 24 little 1" or so squares, and the recipe fills 2 of them so a total of 48 little square fat bombs. One of them is 1/2 of what the recipe is, so my numbers are 50% of what hers are.

For 1/48th of the recipe and with almond butter, it works out to this:

Calories: 87.5
Fat: 7
Carb: .8
Protein .8

Hope that's what you were asking for.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #868
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Nice surprise on my scales this AM, a new low and a little over 1 1/2 lb loss since weighing yesterday. Wow, to me that is pretty much a whoosh! 194.4
Buffy...so delighted that you had a whoosh!!!! Love it!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #869
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
Hi Everyone!

I have missed so many posts but I'm jumping back in today. Hope everyone is doing great!
Glad to see you here as I was concerned about you with the storm, and Jilly also...glad to see you both made it through and have power!!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #870
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwoman100 View Post
Alrighty, it's been 2 weeks since trying NK.

I got my meter. My reading was 2.4NK

Here are some things I noticed in the last two weeks:
1. After my first day I immediately started noticing that I felt more "circulatory." My hands and feet are warmer.
2. After a couple of days I noticed I could breathe through both sides of my nose!!!!!
I have been seriously struggling with clogged up and painful sinuses and in the mornings I was blowing and blowing. Then one day POOF! I could BREATHE!!!!!! It is AWESOME!
3. It is a weird feeling to eat high amounts of fat. I feel like the fat gram police are going to find me and put me in jail at some point.
4. I LOVE BACON
5. First 2 days I was sooooooo tired......ugh.......ugh
6. For the first week I would be tired about every other day.
7. Second week I noticed that I was no longer tired. In fact, I didn't have my usual afternoon slumps! There were times I would want to go home from work mid-afternoon and take a nap. NO MORE!
8. I had taco chips one night and they weren't that great. I mean I feared that if I ever ate a carb again I would become an uncontrollable beast. But nope. Ate some and then got right back on track.
9. I don't lose weight every day. Some days I"m up a pound some days I'm down a pound but I've lost 10 .lbs total.
10. First few days I pee'd a river!!!!!
11. It took a while to figure out some standard "go-to" meals that were high in fat and mod protein, low-carb.
12. I find that it is way easier for me to overdo the protein than it is the carbs. That's a surprise.
13. Now, I get so full so fast! I mean last night I had 6 chicken wings smothered in garlic cream sauce. I was SO FULL!!!! Seriously??? I used to be able to eat a dozen wings and the french fries and the soda and the nacho appetizers and the dessert in one sitting! Now, I'm full on 6 wings????? You gotta be kidding me!
14. My blood sugars are trending down down down. This is doing for me what those stupid drugs never could.
15. Within the first 48 hours all my cravings went away!!! I mean there is Halloween candy in my house! There are butterfingers in my house people!!!! And I don't even want them! i haven't even looked at them! SHUT UP! Now, I feel guilty about handing them out. I am thinking I need to hand out stix of cheese. LOL.
16. My clothes are looser. My middle tire is definitely shrinking.
17. Macadamia nuts are a gift.
18. It seems like you have to really figure out what percentages are best for you and getting you the results that you want. This is definitely an individual thing.

Cons:
1. CONSTIPATION - any suggestions in that regards would be most helpful. This is further proof I am full of it. LOL!!

So far so good!

Karen
Love this! Re: Cons....Magnesium is my choice!!! I use one that has 3-4 types of magnesium in one capsule (300 mg) and it's gentle for me.
Closed Thread