Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #751
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
LOVE that you posted this- great analysis.

Shelley does not have that enviable HbA1c, but it's still below the official number for a diagnosis of diabetes.
That was a great article, things I had never read.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #752
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Sneaking out of lurkdom to ask Shelley a question. Did you say several posts back that you'd quit your BHRT in the last year or so? I know that for myself, if I wasn't on that, I'd really struggle to lose or probably even maintain my weight. IMHO, in this day and age, why not continue using it as long as it makes you feel healthy. My Dr. closely monitors my levels and I'm not about to stop it. And that's with his full blessing. And I'm 62 and had a complete hyst 10 years ago when I was deep into peri-meno.

Ok, lurking back into lurkdom.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 10-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #753
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: omatic
Stats: 148/140/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post

I don't generally have "lunch" per se as if I'm at teh gym, I will have a small protein shake in almond milk (unsweetened) and some HWC afterwards in the car before heading home. )
Some people have a strong glucose / insulin response to whey. I would do a reading before and at one and two hours after.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #754
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sutton_02
Stats: 5'8" - Currently 172lbs / Goal of 150lbs
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Hello everyone! I've been lurking for quite a while and have been experimenting with nutritional ketosis for a few weeks. Loving the results so far! I got the free meter and have been periodically checking fasted ketone levels. Last time I checked, I got a 2.4, so I'm firmly in nutritional ketosis. Well . . . . was in nutritional ketosis.

One day last week, I don't know what happened, but I had some ferocious sugar cravings. I tried lots of fat and l-glutamine, but I couldn't shake it. I'm pretty sure it was hormonal, but I just don't understand why it happened, or what to do about it should it happen again. I thought cravings were supposed to be diminished while in NK? I mean, they definitely were for me up until this point. Maybe I should've just continued stuffing myself with fat until it subsided. I guess even extra protein would've been better than sugar.

Needless to say, I caved. So Thursday thru Sunday was definitely not low carb, but I'm back on track and will hopefully be back in NK soon.

I guess I just want to try to find a reason I had these sudden intense sugar cravings while in NK, so that I can prevent it from happening again. I do Crossfit 3 to 4 times per week, so perhaps my body had run out of glycogen and hasn't fully keto adapted yet? If it happens again, I should probably just power through it with gobs of fat so that I don't back track with the keto adaptation.

Anywho, thanks for listening! I've really enjoyed reading through these nutritional ketosis threads. Maybe now that I've come out of hiding, I'll stop lurking and start contributing!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #755
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: omatic
Stats: 148/140/130
A good day so far! BK 1.9, a new PR. BG 73. Kettlebell class also with a new PR of 22kg snatch on right and 20 kg on the left. Interesting BG after class, 96. No weight loss but don't care about that today!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #756

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I am rooting for you that you can lose with calories at a higher level. I am one who couldn't lose my final weight without restricting calories lower than I'd like.
Hello.

Lurking over here.

I was wondering on your last 10, how many calories was your target to get to goal? I am 5'6.5", almost 49 (next month) and would like to get to 150 as well. I figured out my protein at 60ish grams but I do lift weights a couple of times a day so would eat more on those days. I figured my carbs to 25 or less and calories at 1350.I have been on so many calculators on line, I am confusing myself if I have this right! lol

I figure this will take several months - but I am ok with that.

PS: Do you add in c/o to your day to day macros?

Any thoughts for me? 6 to 10 pounds - I bounce around a lot. I wear an average size 6/8.

Last edited by Stevie Renee; 10-30-2012 at 09:23 AM..
Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #757
Big Yapper!!!!

Sutton, sorry to hear you had a derailment, but good for you for getting back on LC as soon as you could. I think we all have days like that and there is a very good chance it was hormonal. My advice on those days is to eat and eat and eat, as much or whatever it takes to get you through that day, but, it has to be LC. Fat bombs if you are wanting sweet, protein if you want meat, pork rinds if you want crunch, just don't give in to the sugar!!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #758
Big Yapper!!!!

Welcome to both Sutton and Stevie.

Stevie, you have come a LONG way, wow! Look at your stats!!!

I think your macros look about right but I am not the expert on that, but to answer your question on the CO, yes, you count that in along with all your other foods. I forgot for a while to count in the calories and fat I was ingesting each day in just my liquid fish oil supplement, but finally thought to include it.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Welcome to both Sutton and Stevie.

Stevie, you have come a LONG way, wow! Look at your stats!!!

I think your macros look about right but I am not the expert on that, but to answer your question on the CO, yes, you count that in along with all your other foods. I forgot for a while to count in the calories and fat I was ingesting each day in just my liquid fish oil supplement, but finally thought to include it.
Thank you Buffy. I lost most of it low carb, then did the HCG plan with success (size 10 to a 6) but now just do not want to use that HCG as a crutch. I tend to lose and regain 10-15 pounds. Thank you for answering about the CO. What liquid fish oil do you use? Curious.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #760
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sutton_02
Stats: 5'8" - Currently 172lbs / Goal of 150lbs
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Quote:
My advice on those days is to eat and eat and eat, as much or whatever it takes to get you through that day, but, it has to be LC. Fat bombs if you are wanting sweet, protein if you want meat, pork rinds if you want crunch, just don't give in to the sugar!!
Thanks for the advice Buffy! That's what I instinctively thought, but it seems to make more sense and when it comes from someone else.

Next time, I'll just come back and read your infinite words of wisdom before I jump off the cliff.

Oh, and the fat bombs. . . wow! I learned of them through these NK threads, and they are better than I could've imagined. Those will definitely have to be limited to the occasional special treat.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #761
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jesship
Stats: 160/126/115
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2012
Hey guys, total lurker here (this is my first post ever). I've been LCing in general since Feb. and trying out NK for about a month. I got my nova max meter at the beginning of Oct, and my bk readings were. 7 and. 8 with my two free strips. Anyways, fast forward to a few days ago, got in some strips but I had fell into a week long carb binge. Today is the first day back on plan (coffee w/ hwc and butter for bf and Lindas stuffing pie for lunch), just took a reading and it was 1.1?? Is that possible or is my meter faulty? I did only eat once yesterday because I was anxious about the storm, but it was mac and cheese. I'm just stumped.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #762
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton_02 View Post
Thanks for the advice Buffy! That's what I instinctively thought, but it seems to make more sense and when it comes from someone else.

Next time, I'll just come back and read your infinite words of wisdom before I jump off the cliff.

Oh, and the fat bombs. . . wow! I learned of them through these NK threads, and they are better than I could've imagined. Those will definitely have to be limited to the occasional special treat.
Not really Sutton, the fat bombs are basically just fat, they just taste like you shouldn't eat them. Just count them into your daily needs.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #763
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesship View Post
Hey guys, total lurker here (this is my first post ever). I've been LCing in general since Feb. and trying out NK for about a month. I got my nova max meter at the beginning of Oct, and my bk readings were. 7 and. 8 with my two free strips. Anyways, fast forward to a few days ago, got in some strips but I had fell into a week long carb binge. Today is the first day back on plan (coffee w/ hwc and butter for bf and Lindas stuffing pie for lunch), just took a reading and it was 1.1?? Is that possible or is my meter faulty? I did only eat once yesterday because I was anxious about the storm, but it was mac and cheese. I'm just stumped.
That is very confusing. Not sure what to tell you about that, but to our thread.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #764
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton_02 View Post
Hello everyone! I've been lurking for quite a while and have been experimenting with nutritional ketosis for a few weeks. Loving the results so far! I got the free meter and have been periodically checking fasted ketone levels. Last time I checked, I got a 2.4, so I'm firmly in nutritional ketosis. Well . . . . was in nutritional ketosis.

One day last week, I don't know what happened, but I had some ferocious sugar cravings. I tried lots of fat and l-glutamine, but I couldn't shake it. I'm pretty sure it was hormonal, but I just don't understand why it happened, or what to do about it should it happen again. I thought cravings were supposed to be diminished while in NK? I mean, they definitely were for me up until this point. Maybe I should've just continued stuffing myself with fat until it subsided. I guess even extra protein would've been better than sugar.

Needless to say, I caved. So Thursday thru Sunday was definitely not low carb, but I'm back on track and will hopefully be back in NK soon.

I guess I just want to try to find a reason I had these sudden intense sugar cravings while in NK, so that I can prevent it from happening again. I do Crossfit 3 to 4 times per week, so perhaps my body had run out of glycogen and hasn't fully keto adapted yet? If it happens again, I should probably just power through it with gobs of fat so that I don't back track with the keto adaptation.

Anywho, thanks for listening! I've really enjoyed reading through these nutritional ketosis threads. Maybe now that I've come out of hiding, I'll stop lurking and start contributing!
Hi....glad you aren't lurking. I had the same experience when I first started this and my "go to" cure was what you are describing, but with a twist for the thing I call "my taste buds were craving sugary stuff". I made diffferent things that helped...fat bombs were a great help as they were like pieces of candy. I also did some CO, butter and coconut flakes with a SF flavoring like Davinci's cookie dough. Satisfied the sweet tooth instantly, and yet was "legal". Don't say lurking..some out and play with us often!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #765
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
Thank you Buffy. I lost most of it low carb, then did the HCG plan with success (size 10 to a 6) but now just do not want to use that HCG as a crutch. I tend to lose and regain 10-15 pounds. Thank you for answering about the CO. What liquid fish oil do you use? Curious.

I use liquid, it is Finest Fish Oil Omega-3 DHA & EPA. I get the lemon flavor, it comes in orange too but I really prefer the lemon. I take 2 teaspoons a day, I also take some capsules but it is easier and cheaper to get the mega dose I want by using the liquid. I just still take the capsules in case I forget to take my liquid. It really works to bring my cholesterol down.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #766
Senior LCF Member

Wow...lots of lurkers coming out to play today! So happy to see more people following the same plan. Welcome!!!!

To answer some of the questions. First, excellent link by clackley.....and as Judy said, I don't have a low Ha1C , but am at the high range. I have changed docs...7 times in 7 years. I have run out of docs within a 2 hour drive (one way) to the next state and nobody has anyone to recommend there either! I don't think I have the dawn effect as I have now tested PM and come up with the same low 100's then as well. And I have tested with the same exact drop of blood with 2 different Nova Max meters.....and they are all over the place...sometimes meter A is higher, and then doing the same test with the same drop of blood meter A is lower! Go figure. I've asked 3 docs to help me on my "rising" fasting glucose and they won't....they say I'm just fine. So, yup, I fire them. But I've run out of people to "hire", so finding another doc is not an option anymore as there aren't any left!

Re: BHRT. I have gone round and round with whether to stay or go off the hormones many many times...with several docs. I finally read enough information that convinced me (along with a nutritionist/doc/LC/NK person) that it served me no good purpose to stay on them, and the $65/month expense was with insurance that I no longer have. So, that is why I went off....and it had nothing to do with weightloss or gain. I had gained the 20# back before I went off the BHRT (doing strict Atkins induction).

Kristn asked if I had tried just eating normally (something like that). Oh yeah!!!!! Every day I think of doing that....having my gluten free toast and goodies!! ha ha

I really don't have any idea what to do anymore. I am "tired of" reading (it's hard being dyslexic and trying to assimilate all there is), and researching and poking myself and having the results backfire. I gained another pound today from yesterday, after the pound I gained yesterday from the day before? So, now I'm up 3# this month. I'm extremely frustrated and perplexed. But I'm also scared to just "eat what I want" for a while as I'm 2 months into this NK eating/testing..... don't want to blow that off.

I think I may go back to reading and not posting on these 2 threads since I feel my posts are "negative/counter-productive" to all of you. I feel like a failure and a whiner, and that is not me. I do love to read about the rest of you having such good luck and making such great progress though! Keep up the good work everyone!!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #767
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
I think I may go back to reading and not posting on these 2 threads since I feel my posts are "negative/counter-productive" to all of you. I feel like a failure and a whiner, and that is not me. I do love to read about the rest of you having such good luck and making such great progress though! Keep up the good work everyone!!!!
I think it's good to share ALL experience. I am also unsuccessful although for other reasons...keep falling off the wagon lately with some really intense cravings. Although this past week it was emotional...one of the kids at my son's school died and I haven't been able to shake my sadness (i didn't know him, but still, so unfair!).

Anyways, just wanting to say this thread isn't just a koodos thread, but also, problem solving and just plain support for those of us who are poor losers or stalled (I've been trying to lose my last 20 pounds for a year now with no success).
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #768
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webwoman100
Stats: 315/236/139 (-79)
WOE: Tried Everything. Now LCHF
Start Date: Started LCHF 06.24.14
Had a weird day yesterday.

Last night I was seriously jonesing for something sweet. Which ever since trying NK has not really happened. So, I tried fat bombs and root beer floats but it didn't really want to get away.

Anywho, I went to bed to get my mind off of it.

This morning woke up to a new low for my blood sugars!

So, I don't know what the heck that was all about but I'll take a new low.

It's great to see all the newbies on this list and you all give great info!

Thanks!

Karen
Old 10-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #769
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwoman100 View Post

Last night I was seriously jonesing for something sweet. Which ever since trying NK has not really happened. So, I tried fat bombs and root beer floats but it didn't really want to get away.

Thanks!

Karen
Karen, interesting, but like you, I have no idea what that was all about. Don't you wish our bodies were just a little easier to understand
Old 10-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #770

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Shelley, please don't stay away. I really think everybody is just trying to help solve your mystery. Please, please, please do NOT take anything personally as being critical of you. Hang in there, keep on keeping on, at least for that 6 months that you wanted to give it a try.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #771

Quote:
I use liquid, it is Finest Fish Oil Omega-3 DHA & EPA. I get the lemon flavor, it comes in orange too but I really prefer the lemon. I take 2 teaspoons a day, I also take some capsules but it is easier and cheaper to get the mega dose I want by using the liquid. I just still take the capsules in case I forget to take my liquid. It really works to bring my cholesterol down.
Thank you. As far as the fat bombs go, I am not sure how to calculate the calories. Do you use a recipe builder or break down the ingredients and add into ******? Not really sure.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #772
Big Yapper!!!!

I added the recipe to my nutritional planner that I use, so it adds it all up for me, but you could do it either way.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #773
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
Shelley, please don't stay away. I really think everybody is just trying to help solve your mystery. Please, please, please do NOT take anything personally as being critical of you. Hang in there, keep on keeping on, at least for that 6 months that you wanted to give it a try.
Yes, yes, Yes to what Sandy said!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #774
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webwoman100
Stats: 315/236/139 (-79)
WOE: Tried Everything. Now LCHF
Start Date: Started LCHF 06.24.14
Quote:
Karen, interesting, but like you, I have no idea what that was all about. Don't you wish our bodies were just a little easier to understand
Yes I DO!

Karen
Old 10-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #775
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
Shelley We were just getting started! How can we ask you tons of more and more personal questions if you leave?
Who will we practice on?? Stay!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #776
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Dear Paula Bob
I hope you feel better. Life can be so unfair. Your right that this thread is for like minded people heading or trying to head in the NK direction. All outcomes are valuable- even the frustrating ones.
Maureen
Old 10-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #777
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwoman100 View Post

Thanks!

Karen
Hi Karen....sounds like you had a day like I did earlier in the month. I was up about 700 calories from my usual and my fat was 190 grams and it's usually 120-150 or so. Woke with a whoosh loss....so I can only "guess" that our bodies like the fat being in high amounts. My ketones only seem to get close to 1.0 when I have a fat fast day of 90-93% fat. Go figure.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #778
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
I think it's good to share ALL experience. I am also unsuccessful although for other reasons...keep falling off the wagon lately with some really intense cravings. Although this past week it was emotional...one of the kids at my son's school died and I haven't been able to shake my sadness (i didn't know him, but still, so unfair!).

Anyways, just wanting to say this thread isn't just a koodos thread, but also, problem solving and just plain support for those of us who are poor losers or stalled (I've been trying to lose my last 20 pounds for a year now with no success).
I am so sorry to hear about the child that died....it's never right that children have to suffer, be sick or even die. And you are right....you don't even have to know them...it just creates such a "hole" of pain.....hope you feel better tomorrow.

Thanks for your comments about this not being "just a koodos thread". I agree. And if you had written what I wrote, I would probably write back and say no no no.....we all need to learn from the good things and also the crazy or bad things that happen. Thank you. Feel better.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #779
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Shelley We were just getting started! How can we ask you tons of more and more personal questions if you leave?
Who will we practice on?? Stay!
OMG that made me laugh. I truly didn't expect anyone to tell me to stay! Wow...what a surprise that was and really made my day. Thank you all for your sweetness. I was really down this morning.

Went to the dentist for attempt #6 in getting a tooth "installed" with my implant (failed root canal of about 15 years ago) and it still didn't work. So, hasn't been a great day, but then I think of all the people on the East Coast and all they are dealing with and I have the world by the tail and am doing fabulously. It puts everything into perspective very quickly to see the photos/videos on TV of what happened last night and overnight.

OK...what other personal questions do you have for me?!?!?!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #780
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
Thank you. As far as the fat bombs go, I am not sure how to calculate the calories. Do you use a recipe builder or break down the ingredients and add into ******? Not really sure.

What I did was add up all the ingredients...the CO, the butter, the cocoa, the nut butter", etc., and then saw how many "bombs" I made. I finally forked over $$ and bought 2 of Wilton's silicone trays (one says for candy and the other said for brownie bites). The square in the tray are about 1" square. The recipe I use with almond butter makes exactly 48 of them. So, I totaled up the ingredients and divided it by 48 to get the 1/48th calories, the 1/48th fat, etc. Only have to do it once and put it in custom foods on ******. I love the silicone tray as it goes in the freezer easily. I also made 24 cream cheese clouds in the try the other day. Cute!!!!
Closed Thread