Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #631
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Just can't tell you all how happy DD is for finding this WOE. She truly was a carb addict and it showed in the way she felt, her woe, she was always tired, stressed, in a carb fog and just could not stop eating. She has really found her groove in this, just loves the way she feels and is down over 10 lbs. I am so happy for her and the fact that I have helped her to do this.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #632
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: omatic
Stats: 148/140/130
This morning BK .7 and BG 78. That is the lowest BG I have seen.

Buffy, Congrats to you and your daughter !
Old 10-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #633
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Just can't tell you all how happy DD is for finding this WOE. She truly was a carb addict and it showed in the way she felt, her woe, she was always tired, stressed, in a carb fog and just could not stop eating. She has really found her groove in this, just loves the way she feels and is down over 10 lbs. I am so happy for her and the fact that I have helped her to do this.
Buffy!

It's really a euphoric feeling for ourselves, but then to be able to pass this on to our kiddos? It is fabulous!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #634
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omatic View Post

Great readings!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #635
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
2 days in and I am so so so tired, hungry, and thirsty!! I really hope this passes soon :-)
Old 10-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #636
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
2 days in and I am so so so tired, hungry, and thirsty!! I really hope this passes soon :-)
Forgive me if you've already answered this, but are you supplementing salt, magnesium, and potassium? I believe it was Mike on this thread who was really thirsty and potassium supplementation really helped.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #637
Senior LCF Member

no I'm not. I have been eating saltier foods....I have magnesium here now, but potassium I'll have to go get i guess....thanks for the tips
Old 10-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #638
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
no I'm not. I have been eating saltier foods....I have magnesium here now, but potassium I'll have to go get i guess....thanks for the tips
Definitely think about adding broth and/or more salt. I drink a cup of broth a day with even more added salt.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #639
Big Yapper!!!!

Agree with what Kristn said, those things will help you feel better. Also, I tell people not to worry too much about calories until they get into it more and start getting into ketosis, your calories will automatically drop then. Sometimes it is just overwhelming to start and think you have to get it all perfect all at once. Main thing is figure out your protein needs, don't go under or you could risk losing LBM, don't go too high either as it hinders weight loss. Then, keep your carbs low and fat high.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #640
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by webwoman100 View Post
Red alert! Red alert! LOLOL!

Alrighty, ain't gonna lie to ya. I had some taco chips while I was watching the Giants game. I used them as a guacamole/salsa shoveling device. And I ain't gonna lie to ya...they were good. I was at a party.

However, having said that the rest of the day was great!

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, bacon, coffee w/cream
Lunch: got up late and breakfast became lunch.
Dinner: Stuffed Mushrooms, Stuffed Jalapenos, Guacamole, Salsa, Taco Chips, My MIL made SF Coconut Custard Tarts for me on my new diet.
Snack: Zevia root beer with HWC.

Cals: 1818
Fat: 66%
Prot: 14.4%
Carbs: 19.6%

For LCHF finger foods I made stuffed mushrooms with salmon mousse and I stuffed jalapenos with boursin cheese and put a little bacon sliver on top. I used up the jalapenos from my garden.

Karen
Dear Karen
You make great snacks. I use Jicama or celery for dipping. I was thinking of mixing Feta, cream cheese and meunster with parsley and egg to stuff mushrooms. You have inspired me.
Maureen
Old 10-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #641
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=Buffy45;16039477]Morning!
Some good news to report. Even though my weight loss is at turtle time, something started happening in just the last couple of weeks that is pretty exciting. I have a tanita scale that measures % of body fat. I know they aren't that accurate but they are consistent. When I started on Sept. 3rd, my BF was 50% on my scales and stayed there, say give or take 1 1/2 % points for over a month. Then, it started going down, little by little. This past 2 weeks, it has gone down to 45.6% this am and it is consistently this low the past few days. So, to me, that means how I am doing my NK is working just like it should, burning BF. And, I assume that the lower my % of BF gets, the more calories I will burn, even at rest,if I understand all that correctly.

DD is now down to 195!!! I am so thrilled for her, she is doing great and loving this WOE.

Dear Buffy:
Congratulations! Great News! 2 months is fantastic! Your results are really inspiring!!
Maureen
Old 10-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #642
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Good morning everyone!

I'm still in ketosis with a ketone reading of .8. I'm going to keep testing until I reach the 2 week in ketosis mark and then I'm going to back off and only test a couple of times a week. I'm also going to not worry about daily weight fluctuations as long as I'm within 2 pounds of my goal weight.

How is everyone else doing this morning?
Dear Kristn:
Sounds like you are really settliing back in! Your maintenance numbers seems stable and your ketosis is steady. How long have you been testing? Daily?
Maureen
Old 10-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #643
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Dear Buffy:
It is so nice that you and she can each share your mutual success with one another! One more added benefit of NK ! I have to keep trying to indoctrinate my friends to this WOE- Thankfully DH is fully on board and feeling great. He has been so great about being open to trying this new WOE. Unless you have done the reading this WOE can seem so counter to popular dietary dogma.

Maureen
Old 10-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #644
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omatic View Post

GREAT RESULTS!!!
Maureen
Old 10-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #645
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Remeber to be careful with the Magnesium. It can adverse consequences if you take too much to soon. I use Slow Mag to counter the unpleasant side effects. I hope you feel better soon. eat more fat- cream cheese, coconut oil, sour cream or butter.
Maureen
Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #646
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Can someone tell me what a cream cheese cloud is???? Thanks. I don't know how to use the search engine and have dial up...hard to go through pages and pages of posts.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #647
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
I can relate to this - my mom and I started low-carbing together, and she's not only lost 50 lbs, but she's been able to steadily reduce her diabetic medication as well. It's a blessing to be able to share it with someone you love, and watch them blossom. Now if I could only get my sister on low-carb....

But of course, I still can't quite believe Nutritional Ketosis works. When I'm munching away on my macadamia nuts, there's a part of me that still thinks there *must* be something wrong here!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #648
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Can someone tell me what a cream cheese cloud is???? Thanks. I don't know how to use the search engine and have dial up...hard to go through pages and pages of posts.
It's a type of fat bomb made of equal parts cream cheese and either butter or coconut oil, with some flavoring and sweetness added of your choice. I usually use splenda drops to sweeten, and either a True Lemon or a True Orange packet - it gives the clouds a nice sharp bite along with the creaminess. Some people roll them in cocoa or chopped nuts, or add coconut - the sky is the limit in terms of additions. The basic recipe comes out to around 60-70 calories each, very low carb and a good dose of fat. If you keep them in the freezer, it's like having an ice-cream bite.

And now I'm off to the kitchen to make some....
Old 10-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #649
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webwoman100
Stats: 315/236/139 (-79)
WOE: Tried Everything. Now LCHF
Start Date: Started LCHF 06.24.14
Oh baby! Lovin' the fat today!

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, 1.5 pc. bacon, coffee w/HWC
Lunch: 2 cups clam "chowder", cabbage salad
Snack: tea w/hwc, fat bomb
Dinner: LCHF sausage alfredo
Snack: coffee w/HWC while on a date at sbux with my dh playing Farkle!

Cals: 3220
Fat: 83.7%
Prot: 10.4%
Carb: 5.9%

I am full and happy :-)
Old 10-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #650
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Thirsty is good! When I first started and was losing very well, I was constantly thirsty. It will pass. Hang in there!
Old 10-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #651
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One maur time View Post
Dear Kristn:
Sounds like you are really settliing back in! Your maintenance numbers seems stable and your ketosis is steady. How long have you been testing? Daily?
Maureen
Hi Maureen,
I started the original NK thread on 7/15 and I had just received my free meter and had tested twice at that point (I had already lost 15 pound using NK guidelines without the meter). On 7/18 I started recording my results in Excel and tested for 6 days straight and then intermittently after that until I reached goal. My average am ketones were 2.31 during that losing period.

Once I reached goal (8/27) I committed to daily testing for a while to help me work through my maintenance diet. I tested daily for 37 days until I left for Hawaii and have tested daily for the 12 days since I've been back. My average ketone reading for the first 37 days was 1.5. Since I've been back my average is .8 with the average since I have been consistently in ketosis (the last 7 days) is 1.09.

Hopefully that wasn't too much information. Can you tell that I love Excel!

Today's reading was 1.6 so I feel pretty good about getting back into ketosis fairly quickly. If I'm consistently in ketosis over the next 7 days I'm going to go down to testing 2x/week.

Today also marks two months since I reached goal. I've "maintained" a higher weight in the past so I kind of understand what it takes. But maintaining at this new low is a whole 'nuther ball game. I want to make it to spring staying within 2 pounds of goal and at that point I may try and go lower. But for now just not gaining over the holidays is a win.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 10-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #652
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
It's a type of fat bomb made of equal parts cream cheese and either butter or coconut oil, with some flavoring and sweetness added of your choice. I usually use splenda drops to sweeten, and either a True Lemon or a True Orange packet - it gives the clouds a nice sharp bite along with the creaminess. Some people roll them in cocoa or chopped nuts, or add coconut - the sky is the limit in terms of additions. The basic recipe comes out to around 60-70 calories each, very low carb and a good dose of fat. If you keep them in the freezer, it's like having an ice-cream bite.

And now I'm off to the kitchen to make some....
Thank you MerryKate.....I"m going to give them a try...I have the true lemon,orange and lime! Such fun. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #653
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Maureen,
Today also marks two months since I reached goal. I've "maintained" a higher weight in the past so I kind of understand what it takes. But maintaining at this new low is a whole 'nuther ball game. .
That's something I've been wondering about...since you're at maintenance and still using NK, is it something we'll have to do for life to maintain the loss, or is it possible to switch over to "normal" low carb for maintenance? I'm enjoying this WOE, but it is a very limited diet and I'd like to eventually be able to eat fruit again!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #654
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
That's something I've been wondering about...since you're at maintenance and still using NK, is it something we'll have to do for life to maintain the loss, or is it possible to switch over to "normal" low carb for maintenance? I'm enjoying this WOE, but it is a very limited diet and I'd like to eventually be able to eat fruit again!
I suspect it's as individual as we are.
I've had a few servings of fruit since getting my meter, and stayed in NK.
I admit I've had a very few small servings, always with fat in the rest of the meal. I've had cantaloupe, blueberries and strawberries. I even had a measured 1/2 cup of watermelon this summer.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #655
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I really don't have an answer for you. Maintenance is the hardest part of weight-loss and only you can figure out what works for you. I want to stay in ketosis and I enjoy the food and the way I feel. Now that I'm in maintenance I eat more and give myself more leeway while still staying in ketosis. I do eat some berries but I have accepted that for me fruit will never be a large part of my diet.

Only about 5% of people who lose weight maintain the loss. My takeaway from this is that I need to use the same WOE that worked for losing weight to keep it off. There are some people use different strategies for maintenance than their initial loss, but that has never worked for me.

As always, YMMV!
Old 10-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #656
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the tips guys! I focused on eating more salt and more fat today, and I also had more protein- although I don't know how much exactly (I had guests today for lunch and I don't feel comfortable weighing out my food on those rare occasions). In any case- I feel much much better! That salt made a major difference. I had a salad w/romaine as well as some chicken and ground beef, pretty much doused it all in oil and was quite generous in the salt!! Good thing I love fat and salt ;-)

When I can get out tomorrow, I'll pick up some potassium as well.

Quick question- I make chicken soup weekly for my family, only in the soup I include butternut squash, carrots, sweet potato, onion, etc...Do you guys think the broth has a significant amount of carbs in it? Is it better to avoid soups that have those root veggies (even if I am only eating the broth)? Thanks for the input!

One other thing- I have looked back through the threads and the calculation I keep finding on how to calculate suggested protein intake confuses me to no end. I am 5'2", 34yrs old and currently weigh 144, can someone please help me! I'm concerned that my initial idea of 45g of protein was just too low for me- but I'm not really sure. What method of protein calculation worked for you?

Thanks again all!
Old 10-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #657
Senior LCF Member

Dear Kristn
You have done so well with NK. I have been testing consistently since 9/12. I wonder whether being "deeper" into Ketosis really delivers greater benefits or is being on the lower end ok or somewhat diluted? I know from Phinney Volek that above 3 doesn't deliver additional benefits.

You have done so well in maintenance. I guess just like in the weight loss phase you need to test to figure out your own tolerance and you will need to find the ratios for peak performance in maintenance.

Maureen
Old 10-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #658
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Maureen,
I started the original NK thread on 7/15 and I had just received my free meter and had tested twice at that point (I had already lost 15 pound using NK guidelines without the meter). On 7/18 I started recording my results in Excel and tested for 6 days straight and then intermittently after that until I reached goal. My average am ketones were 2.31 during that losing period.

Once I reached goal (8/27) I committed to daily testing for a while to help me work through my maintenance diet. I tested daily for 37 days until I left for Hawaii and have tested daily for the 12 days since I've been back. My average ketone reading for the first 37 days was 1.5. Since I've been back my average is .8 with the average since I have been consistently in ketosis (the last 7 days) is 1.09.

Today's reading was 1.6 so I feel pretty good about getting back into ketosis fairly quickly. If I'm consistently in ketosis over the next 7 days I'm going to go down to testing 2x/week.

Today also marks two months since I reached goal. I've "maintained" a higher weight in the past so I kind of understand what it takes. But maintaining at this new low is a whole 'nuther ball game. I want to make it to spring staying within 2 pounds of goal and at that point I may try and go lower. But for now just not gaining over the holidays is a win.

Dear Kristn
Oh and thanks for the excel tip. I am using the little book that came with the meter ! excel will be much easier!
congratulations on maintaining !,
Maureen
Old 10-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #659
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Maureen,

Quote:
Dear Shelley
I know I sometimes miss fruit. See Diet Doctor - Andrea Eenfeldt he has a diet tip about fruit. Very interesting.
Maureen
Old 10-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #660
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One maur time View Post
Dear Shelley
I know I sometimes miss fruit. See Diet Doctor - Andrea Eenfeldt he has a diet tip about fruit. Very interesting.
Maureen
I wasn't able to find what you are referring to other than he says berries are ok on occasion if it doesn't stall you, which is what most people say/have said and written. Please enlighten me about the "diet tip" that you found interesting and want to pass along. Thanks!
Closed Thread