Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 05:48 AM   #601
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
omatic- no kidding w/the protein!! All I had of substantive protein was 2 eggs and 3.5 oz of salmon....everything else came from 1 oz of nuts, cc, HWC, etc. My protein goal comes from Rosedale's recommendation's, but it seems those are quite conservative when compared to Phinney and Volek. So I figure I'll start there and if I go over by 5-10g it's ok (unless i'm not losing of course).

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2012, 06:01 AM   #602
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Mascarpone cheese is so easy to make yourself and I like that I can make it from organic hwc. Makes it a win-win.

Homemade*Mascarpone - Home - Pastry Affair
Old 10-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #603
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by One maur time View Post
Thanks for the link/ So interesting - Here in NYC they display the Mascarpone with the cheese like Brie and Gouda. Sometimes near the creme fraiche. Not the American cheese from Kraft that is usually near the milk and yogurt.
Maureen
I know, I have seen it with the deli cheeses but never tried it? I am tempted to try making this over the break just to find out if it tastes like I imagine.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #604
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by omatic View Post
That is a great day! I am shorter like you and we do not get much protein. It can be tricky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
omatic- no kidding w/the protein!! All I had of substantive protein was 2 eggs and 3.5 oz of salmon....everything else came from 1 oz of nuts, cc, HWC, etc. My protein goal comes from Rosedale's recommendation's, but it seems those are quite conservative when compared to Phinney and Volek. So I figure I'll start there and if I go over by 5-10g it's ok (unless i'm not losing of course).
I think that this is the trickiest part of NK. It was really hard to reduce my protein when I started out. When I look back my best results were when I kept the protein more in the Rosedale range than the Phinney/Volek range. In maintenance and trying to gain muscle I am happy with the lower end of the Phinney/Volek range--but I don't see the higher ketones that I did with the lower range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Mascarpone cheese is so easy to make yourself and I like that I can make it from organic hwc. Makes it a win-win.

Thanks for the mascarpone cheese recipe! It's not outrageously expensive at Trader Joe's, but it's not organic either. I may have to try this.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:18 AM   #605
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by webwoman100 View Post

Loves me some Bacon!!!

Karen
Bacon is what attracted me to NK! I was already 75% fat, but decided might as well try to lower protein and join the NK group. Bacon goes well with this woe!

Quote:

Do you know if it taste similar to cream cheese? But richer?
Old 10-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #606
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

This morning my ketones were 1.2 so I have now achieved 5 days of am ketones over .5. Weight is still bouncy at 149.8 but that's to be expected as I'm not trying to lose.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #607
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Bacon is what attracted me to NK! I was already 75% fat, but decided might as well try to lower protein and join the NK group. Bacon goes well with this woe!

I've never had it and now I want to try to make it.
AND we can use the whey to make our own mayonnaise!
I'm totally turning into a hippie.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #608
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Thanks for the mascarpone cheese recipe! It's not outrageously expensive at Trader Joe's, but it's not organic either. I may have to try this.
I forget that the prices of dairy are significantly different here. A tub (500g) goes for around $10.00 here and more in many places and it is not organic. I can make the same for about $6 and it is organic. A pretty good savings not even considering the quality issue.

Mascarpone cheese tastes different than cream cheese in my opinion. It is very delicate tasting and homemade has a slight lemon taste. It is really awesome!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #609
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Morning!

Just an interesting observation. I was gone from 3:30 pm until 1:00 AM and did not eat during that period, so, when I got home at 1:00, I heated up some of the taco soup, probably had 2 servings of that plus 2 fat bombs, then went to sleep around 3:00 AM. When I got up at 9:00, weight was up of course, from eating in the middle of the night, but ketone reading was the highest I have ever had, 3.0. Could some of you who understand the science part of the ketone burning and reading explain that. It looks to me like it is dietary fat. This is the 2nd time I have done this and both times, had the highest readings I have had so far. Just curious. I guess I will check sometime about 6 hours after a normal dinner hour and see if it is that high. I usually only check first thing in the AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #610
Chatty Cathy

I would guess that your ketone levels are high because of the recent consumption of the coconut oil in the fat bombs.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #611
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
I would guess that your ketone levels are high because of the recent consumption of the coconut oil in the fat bombs.
Ditto on this. I have read in many places that coconut oil or MCT oil will raise ketones. This is why they recommend you test ketones first thing in the AM, so that you won't have eaten for over 12 hours and it will give you the best "real" results. Remember that Major Red has told those of us having troubles getting higher ketones that we should try to have 1 TBSP of CO around 7 PM or right after dinner in order to test the next morning. Since you had fat bombs and tested about 6 hours later, you still had that CO in your system for the test.

That's my take and I'm not a doctor!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #612
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
The reason to test in the AM after a full nights fast is to see if your body is truly making and using ketones. If you are not in NK, the body will not maintain the appropriate ketone levels overnight. The fat you eat may be converted to ketones, but that doesn't mean when not supplied by food that the body is making them from your own fat.

Blood ketone levels taken after fatty meals mean nothing.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #613
Big Yapper!!!!

That all makes sense, thanks for the help!
Old 10-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #614
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hello to all! Hope your day has gone great!

Sunday, thanks for the recipe, as soon as the cool..er weather comes in I will try it.

Maureen, I am with you and Kristn on the "want" for something sweet in the evening. It was my habit for years. But in the last couple weeks, I have been full after supper and can't eat one more bite. Not even one desire for anything. What changed was the addition of one or two T cream cheese, straight at about 4pm while at work...it seems to stop it. That's all I can figure.

Omatic and Sasonnier, I made the error of too low protein at first, then Red got us all corrected on percentages (the first page has it on the link I think....), and I started doing much better. I am a shortie at 5'4" too. I never go below 55g a day....my range is up to 65 from memory.

Cathy, making your own cheese sounds like fun. and your pup is adorable! She does not look 16 at all! I think I need to make this stuff...I am loving all the cheeses/bacon/homemade mayo! I am amazed at the prices in Canada. Wow. We are lucky here in Texas, it is huge "competition time" with all the new stores.

Shelly, we are turning into our mothers! My mother was an artist hippie type, I remember the boots and mini-skirts! We made our own bread growing up, garden, caught fish, yadda yadda yadda!
Aging myself!

Buffy, you are a hoot-owl. I simply could not stay up that late and eat. I am going with the others suggestion of the coconut oil consumption...it really makes my system go in high gear! I do not think I could sleep after eating it!
Old 10-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #615
Senior LCF Member

Hey Guys!
My macros today are:
fat- 152g (81%)
protein- 47g (12%)
Carb- 30 (7%)(8.6g of that is fiber)

My calories are at 1610- higher than I want, but I'm still a bit hungry at the end of it all. Not really sure how to eat to satiety and still keep my carbs lower (below 1500). I have been only eating about twice a day (yesterday and today) by delaying breakfast. I'd be in a lot of trouble if I ate breakfast at my usual time- I'd run out of food later. Will this hungry thing level out soon? At least I'm not ravenous...

I'll give my menu from today to give you guys an idea:
coffee w/HWC throughout the day (2.5oz total)
2 eggs cooked in 1T CO
1T olive oil straight
1.5oz Cream cheese straight
2oz blk olives
3 oz salmon
6oz peppers cooked in 1T CO
1oz mac. nuts
and I made a fat bomb using 1sq of unsweetened chocolate melted w/1T CO and 1T PB- I don't do any sweeteners- it was actually pretty good

What foods do you guys find really fill you up w/not a lot of impact on your macros- if any??
Old 10-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #616
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Hey Guys!
My macros today are:
fat- 152g (81%)
protein- 47g (12%)
Carb- 30 (7%)(8.6g of that is fiber)

My calories are at 1610- higher than I want, but I'm still a bit hungry at the end of it all. Not really sure how to eat to satiety and still keep my carbs lower (below 1500). I have been only eating about twice a day (yesterday and today) by delaying breakfast. I'd be in a lot of trouble if I ate breakfast at my usual time- I'd run out of food later. Will this hungry thing level out soon? At least I'm not ravenous...

I'll give my menu from today to give you guys an idea:
coffee w/HWC throughout the day (2.5oz total)
2 eggs cooked in 1T CO
1T olive oil straight
1.5oz Cream cheese straight
2oz blk olives
3 oz salmon
6oz peppers cooked in 1T CO
1oz mac. nuts
and I made a fat bomb using 1sq of unsweetened chocolate melted w/1T CO and 1T PB- I don't do any sweeteners- it was actually pretty good

What foods do you guys find really fill you up w/not a lot of impact on your macros- if any??
Your food list looks good, I drink about 3-4 cups of coffee in the morning, with HWC, and 1 cup of coconut milk, which has 1g carb, 6g fat; starting at 5am; then a couple hours later I have 2 eggs, with butter; sometimes I add swiss cheese. This remarkably keeps me going for a long time. I eat a smaller lunch, maybe 4oz some protein, chicken, meat, and a veggie. Sometimes I will just get bites from my mix of coconut butter/pecan butter--doesn't take much and I am full again. About 4pm I have 1-2 oz cream cheese...and really don't care about supper much anymore. But I eat 3-4 oz protein and veggies again. I rarely get hungry after that. At first, on NK, I was very hungry for a week or so; getting used to it all. Now, I am not. I forget to get fat in sometimes, so I will eat Mac Nuts, or get scoop of fat bomb, I don't freeze mine. I think I remember the others having a transitional time too, I am not devoted to new things, as Buffy is great at new recipes and Jilly has great menus...I just find something and eat it. I never thought that such small servings would be enough - but after about 2 months now, it is enough. I can't NOT eat breakfast...but the other two meals are so-so for me. Maybe just eat more fat, keep your protein/carbs in line and you will settle in soon?
Old 10-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #617
Senior LCF Member

Thanks SouthernGirl- I look forward to feeling more satisfied soon. I felt really out of it today in general. I did have a lot going on, but by the end of the day now, i am wiped!! Body is tired and a bit sore (I took a pretty intense Hot Yoga class earlier) and just a bunch of running around. I am so ready for bed!!
BTW, I ate mac nuts for the first time today- they are really good! I got chopped mac nuts from trader joes, so 1oz seems to go farther when they are chopped than whole nuts.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #618
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by omatic View Post
Thanks, it was mostly gone by noon. I am very lucky in that they are usually shorter in duration.
Glad to hear it!
Maureen
Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #619
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Happy Bithday Sadie!
Maureen
Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #620
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post

sunday-it tastes more rich- less watery then conventional sour cream.
Delicious! Great with smoked salmon!
Maureen
Old 10-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #621
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Good morning everyone!

This morning my ketones were 1.2 so I have now achieved 5 days of am ketones over .5. Weight is still bouncy at 149.8 but that's to be expected as I'm not trying to lose.
Congratulations!
Maureen
Old 10-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #622
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning!

Just an interesting observation. I was gone from 3:30 pm until 1:00 AM and did not eat during that period, so, when I got home at 1:00, I heated up some of the taco soup, probably had 2 servings of that plus 2 fat bombs, then went to sleep around 3:00 AM. When I got up at 9:00, weight was up of course, from eating in the middle of the night, but ketone reading was the highest I have ever had, 3.0. Could some of you who understand the science part of the ketone burning and reading explain that. It looks to me like it is dietary fat. This is the 2nd time I have done this and both times, had the highest readings I have had so far. Just curious. I guess I will check sometime about 6 hours after a normal dinner hour and see if it is that high. I usually only check first thing in the AM.
Dear Buffy
That is interesting. That late night eating is tough. I'm glad you can go to sleep with no interference. The high ketones are probably all related to having these late meals. I wonder if when you resume your usual schedule -if you tested at 2:00pm instead of 7:00 am if your reading would be as high. I know we are all advised that the first morning test is assumed to be a lower reading then the rest of the day.
Maureen
Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #623
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Your food list looks good, I drink about 3-4 cups of coffee in the morning, with HWC, and 1 cup of coconut milk, which has 1g carb, 6g fat; starting at 5am; then a couple hours later I have 2 eggs, with butter; sometimes I add swiss cheese. This remarkably keeps me going for a long time. I eat a smaller lunch, maybe 4oz some protein, chicken, meat, and a veggie. Sometimes I will just get bites from my mix of coconut butter/pecan butter--doesn't take much and I am full again. About 4pm I have 1-2 oz cream cheese...and really don't care about supper much anymore. But I eat 3-4 oz protein and veggies again. I rarely get hungry after that. At first, on NK, I was very hungry for a week or so; getting used to it all. Now, I am not. I forget to get fat in sometimes, so I will eat Mac Nuts, or get scoop of fat bomb, I don't freeze mine. I think I remember the others having a transitional time too, I am not devoted to new things, as Buffy is great at new recipes and Jilly has great menus...I just find something and eat it. I never thought that such small servings would be enough - but after about 2 months now, it is enough. I can't NOT eat breakfast...but the other two meals are so-so for me. Maybe just eat more fat, keep your protein/carbs in line and you will settle in soon?
I definitely agree with you, all of the sudden the satiety sets in and that nagging feeling disappears. I do feel the quality of the fat bombs helps. In the morning I start with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil dissolved in warm water with a pinch of sea salt. Chug! Then I have a giant chai vanilla tea with 2 tablespoons unsalted kerrygold butter 2 tablespoons coconut cream. Sometimes I might have 2-3 links of breakfast sausage. Then I am good until dinner- protein, vegetable and small salad. Maybe 1 tablespoon of a cream cheese cloud at 9 or 10pm.

Midday if I'm hungry occasionally some cashews ( carefully portioned). The fat bombs make all this possible. I almost feel that in the beginning the body needs time to adjust to the new abundance of high quality fats and of course very little or no carbs.

Maureen
Old 10-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #624
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: webwoman100
Stats: 315/246/139 (-69)
WOE: Tried Everything. Now NK.
Start Date: Started NK 10.15.12
Red alert! Red alert! LOLOL!

Alrighty, ain't gonna lie to ya. I had some taco chips while I was watching the Giants game. I used them as a guacamole/salsa shoveling device. And I ain't gonna lie to ya...they were good. I was at a party.

However, having said that the rest of the day was great!

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, bacon, coffee w/cream
Lunch: got up late and breakfast became lunch.
Dinner: Stuffed Mushrooms, Stuffed Jalapenos, Guacamole, Salsa, Taco Chips, My MIL made SF Coconut Custard Tarts for me on my new diet.
Snack: Zevia root beer with HWC.

Cals: 1818
Fat: 66%
Prot: 14.4%
Carbs: 19.6%

For LCHF finger foods I made stuffed mushrooms with salmon mousse and I stuffed jalapenos with boursin cheese and put a little bacon sliver on top. I used up the jalapenos from my garden.

Karen

Last edited by webwoman100; 10-25-2012 at 10:47 PM..
Old 10-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #625
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/201.5/175
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • Restart 04/14
Quote:
PC, I have settled on my favorite, at least for now, CO. It is Nutiva organic EV and it says unrefined. I have tried quite a few different ones over the past couple of months and DD and I agree that we like this one best. The worst I bought and tried, and it tastes so bad I am going to return it, was Now Virgin CO. It smells and tastes almost rancid. It could be old, I ordered online and can't find a exp. date on it anywhere.
I second your review of both coconut oils. I keep the NOW for using as a skin lotion - there's no way I'd put that in my mouth again!

BTW, did you know Costco has the Nutiva for $21 for a 64 oz. tub? That should hold me for, oh, at least a month!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #626
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I second your review of both coconut oils. I keep the NOW for using as a skin lotion - there's no way I'd put that in my mouth again!

BTW, did you know Costco has the Nutiva for $21 for a 64 oz. tub? That should hold me for, oh, at least a month!
, Wow! I don't have a membership to Costco but have friends that do!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #627
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

I'm still in ketosis with a ketone reading of .8. I'm going to keep testing until I reach the 2 week in ketosis mark and then I'm going to back off and only test a couple of times a week. I'm also going to not worry about daily weight fluctuations as long as I'm within 2 pounds of my goal weight.

How is everyone else doing this morning?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #628
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!
Some good news to report. Even though my weight loss is at turtle time, something started happening in just the last couple of weeks that is pretty exciting. I have a tanita scale that measures % of body fat. I know they aren't that accurate but they are consistent. When I started on Sept. 3rd, my BF was 50% on my scales and stayed there, say give or take 1 1/2 % points for over a month. Then, it started going down, little by little. This past 2 weeks, it has gone down to 45.6% this am and it is consistently this low the past few days. So, to me, that means how I am doing my NK is working just like it should, burning BF. And, I assume that the lower my % of BF gets, the more calories I will burn, even at rest,if I understand all that correctly.

DD is now down to 195!!! I am so thrilled for her, she is doing great and loving this WOE.

Took DGS for his allergy shot and we always go to dinner, at the place of his choice, afterwards. He chose Whataburger last night. I had a cheeseburger, no bun, and the lettuce that came with it with some of their yucky ranch dressing. Wow, compared to the yummy home made meals I make now, that was not good eating, but the company more than made up for it

Monday is my 8 week NK anniversary! Soooooo happy I found this WOE when I decided to come back to LC.

My BK reading this AM was 1.6, which is taken after fasting for over 12 hours so to me, that would be the accurate measure. Very happy with that.

Kristn, you are doing great on maintainence.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #629
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwoman100 View Post
Red alert! Red alert! LOLOL!

Alrighty, ain't gonna lie to ya. I had some taco chips while I was watching the Giants game. I used them as a guacamole/salsa shoveling device. And I ain't gonna lie to ya...they were good. I was at a party.

Karen
, HOW COULD YOU???? Just joking, sounds like you pulled it off with your food during the rest of the day.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #630
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Morning!
Some good news to report. Even though my weight loss is at turtle time, something started happening in just the last couple of weeks that is pretty exciting. I have a tanita scale that measures % of body fat. I know they aren't that accurate but they are consistent. When I started on Sept. 3rd, my BF was 50% on my scales and stayed there, say give or take 1 1/2 % points for over a month. Then, it started going down, little by little. This past 2 weeks, it has gone down to 45.6% this am and it is consistently this low the past few days. So, to me, that means how I am doing my NK is working just like it should, burning BF. And, I assume that the lower my % of BF gets, the more calories I will burn, even at rest,if I understand all that correctly.

DD is now down to 195!!! I am so thrilled for her, she is doing great and loving this WOE.

Took DGS for his allergy shot and we always go to dinner, at the place of his choice, afterwards. He chose Whataburger last night. I had a cheeseburger, no bun, and the lettuce that came with it with some of their yucky ranch dressing. Wow, compared to the yummy home made meals I make now, that was not good eating, but the company more than made up for it

Monday is my 8 week NK anniversary! Soooooo happy I found this WOE when I decided to come back to LC.

My BK reading this AM was 1.6, which is taken after fasting for over 12 hours so to me, that would be the accurate measure. Very happy with that.

Kristn, you are doing great on maintainence.
Congratulations on the reduction in BF%, great ketone readings, and 8 weeks of NK! And congrats to your DD for her loss!
Closed Thread