Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #571
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
All right...after 6 weeks or so I finally got my free meter. Was disappointed that my initial reading is only 0.2.

Could yesterdays' late night snack have effected it? I was in a 4 hour course and unable to eat...the snack was 150 calories mostly fat but at 10 pm, way past my normal eating times.

Total protein yesterday 40 (low for me), carbs 26 total, 23 net, fat 99.

All thoughts welcome! Today I'm going to reduce my carbs to the 15-20 range, my protein should be more in 45-50 grams.
Paula, I know your disappointment, when I got mine, my first reading was 0.3 I think. But, keep a strict log for several days and you will see that reading go up. I measure as soon as I get up, they say that is usually the lowest it will be for the day, so if I am over 0.5 at that time of day, I know I will be good for the rest of the day. They are definitely much more honest with us than the sticks ever thought of being. It doesn't take much to knock us down to less than 0.5. The strips are expensive but they do keep me paying close attention, I don't like seeing it too low, so in that sense, they are worth it to me right now. If I know I am eating just like I should, I can skip a day or two on testing. But, I have to test my BG every morning anyway so just usually do both. I got a really good deal a while back from CVS so I don't feel so guilty using them, but, I guess CVS says they are no longer carrying them. Haven't seen any deals like that since.

Watch what you eat very carefully, then retest and I think you will be happy!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #572
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Buffy, I really like the Zevia drinks and have been very disappointed with my local Natural Grocer because they still do not carry Dr. Zevia. In my day to day, I never drink much diet soda to begin with and actually bought them as a good choice for a mixer, if by chance I had a mixed drink with the hubby. I very seldom do that as well. I don't lose weight and in fact, weight loss completely comes to a halt if I have a glass of wine or mixed drink.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #573
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Sunday, I will pick some of the root beer up next time I see it.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #574
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Thanks Sunday, I will pick some of the root beer up next time I see it.
We've been using Zevia for years....don't drink it but a couple times a month, but the Root Beer and GINGER Root Beer are awesome!!!!! Coke also has one that is made with splenda.....hard to find, but I found it at WalMart and not in our grocery stores. You just have to look. I'm not much for carbonated drinks unless my tummy is upset, then my "go to" is Zevia Ginger Ale. But I got some Zevia root beer to do the floats...just haven't tried it yet!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #575
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Question to clarify a few things...
When I am measuring my daily carbs and my goal is to keep them under 20g, is 20g w/the fiber or minus the fiber??

Also, is there any reason to avoid nuts if I am trying to lose weight- even if my carbs/proteins/calories are w/in my goal numbers?

I just got phinney and volek's book and will begin reading it today...but I am starting to attempt NK beginning today- or at least VLC. I'm excited, hoping to achieve the mental clarity and energy everyone raves about- and would love to lose the last 20 lbs or so that I have stuck on me for the past year+!

-Sophie
Old 10-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #576
Big Yapper!!!!

I have been drinking Diet Rite for several years, due to the fact that it is made with splenda.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #577
Big Yapper!!!!

Sophia, I count total carbs, but if they are higher than normal that day, I look at the fiber to see if that is the reason, like if I have avocados or something with pumpkin in it. Also, nuts, some of us can eat them without a problem, some say they can't. Some can't control the portions, they are sooo good, that can be a problem. I portion out one serving and put them away, then eat them very slowly. Nuts are good for us though, so a part of our WOE if you can do them.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #578
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Buffy- I was asking b/c people who follow Paleo/Primal are usually advised to limit nuts while they are trying to lose weight...so for that reason, I was curious. Same thing is suggested for Dairy- but it seems obvious that those suggestions don't really apply for those doing NK.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #579
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
When I am measuring my daily carbs and my goal is to keep them under 20g, is 20g w/the fiber or minus the fiber??

Also, is there any reason to avoid nuts if I am trying to lose weight- even if my carbs/proteins/calories are w/in my goal numbers?

-Sophie
Hi Sophie!

I always counted Net Carbs, subtracted fiber. But when I was losing, I kept Total Carbs around 10 or less anyway most days. Now my total carbs sometimes go to 20 to 25g, but subtracting fiber, still end up below 20 net.

As for nuts, I eat walnuts sometimes now. While losing, I stayed away from nuts. They didn't really stall me but portion control was a problem. They do stall a lot of people though, so it might be best to stay away from them for now.

HTH!
Old 10-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #580
Senior LCF Member

10 total carbs?!?!?! wow, that sounds really really low... is that the average for people doing NK? I haven't really read through Phinney and Volek's book yet, but really want to get started...I have read around on this site and I was under the impression that 20 is the magic number. I really want to lose this last bit of weight, so I'll do what I need to do, but I do like my veggies :-)
Old 10-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #581
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webwoman100
Stats: 315/236/139 (-79)
WOE: Tried Everything. Now LCHF
Start Date: Started LCHF 06.24.14
Breakfast: 3 .oz Italian sauasage, coffee, HWC, cottage cheese
Lunch: Tuna Salad wrapped in Kale leaves, (homemade mayo)
Dinner: Cabbage salad w/feta sprinkles, homemade ranch dressing, 2 cups Clam "chowder"
Snack: Fat Bomb with tea...mmm...mmm

Cals: 2,229
Fat: 80%
Carb: 7%
Prot:13%

Target: Cals < 2000, fat: 75%, Carb: 7%, Prot: 18%

Meter arrived today...now waiting on strips...

Karen
Go Giants!
Old 10-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #582
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't think there is a magic number Sophie. I just think a lot of us kind of pick 20 to get started at, but some find they can lose on a much higher level, especially is the carbs are from things like veggies, etc. Some can't, it really is a YMMV thing and only you can experiment and come up with the number that works for you. If you find yourself losing too fast (I personally don't even know what that could mean ), then by all means, add in some more good carbs. And, some people like to start out at about 40 or some, then slowly withdraw from the carbs, not such a jolt to their system. Kind of depends on your WOE before you start NK. After I lose my water weight, as you can see, I am losing very slowly, but have all the other benefits of doing NK, feel better, happy with what I am eating, full and content, no cravings, it is the best WOE for my diabetes, that I am ok with slow loss. Could I tweak it more and lose faster? Maybe, probably, but I am content right now. And, it is possible that I could tweak until the cows come home and not change a thing.

You are within 20 lbs of your goal and it will probably be hard to lose those last 20, but this will certainly give you a very pleasant WOE while you work towards that goal.

Best of luck, glad to have you here and read, read, read whatever you can about NK. Very interesting.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #583
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: omatic
Stats: 148/140/130
BK .4 this morning and then a migraine after 6am kettlebell class . Those fabulous roasted beets last night did me in
Old 10-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #584
Senior LCF Member

OK, first day officially trying to eat HF/MP/LC, this is what I ended up with-
1404 cal
125.5 fat
28 total carb (17 for net)
51.8 for protein- aiming for 45g knowing I'll likely go over a bit
percentages are at 78% fat, 8% carb, 15% protein....does it look like I'm on the right track? any areas that could use some work?
I'm 5'2, 34 yrs old, and weigh 144
Old 10-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #585
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
1404 cal
125.5 fat
percentages are at 78% fat, 8% carb, 15% protein....does it look like I'm on the right track? any areas that could use some work?
Wow...for a first time out I think you did great!!!! Great macros!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #586
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Question? Do y'all use refind or unrefined co.
I use both. I don't like cooking eggs with the unrefined, so I use the refined for that purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Buffy, I really like the Zevia drinks and have been very disappointed with my local Natural Grocer because they still do not carry Dr. Zevia. In my day to day, I never drink much diet soda to begin with and actually bought them as a good choice for a mixer, if by chance I had a mixed drink with the hubby. I very seldom do that as well. I don't lose weight and in fact, weight loss completely comes to a halt if I have a glass of wine or mixed drink.
I have had Zevia in the past and it's okay, but I'm not much of a soda drinker. I was surprised at how pricey it is!

Quote:

I just got phinney and volek's book and will begin reading it today...but I am starting to attempt NK beginning today- or at least VLC. I'm excited, hoping to achieve the mental clarity and energy everyone raves about- and would love to lose the last 20 lbs or so that I have stuck on me for the past year+!

-Sophie
I always track total carbs but if I go over because of fiber I'm not so worried about it.

As others have said, the only reason to avoid nuts is if you eat too many or they cause cravings.

Quote:
Thanks Buffy- I was asking b/c people who follow Paleo/Primal are usually advised to limit nuts while they are trying to lose weight...so for that reason, I was curious. Same thing is suggested for Dairy- but it seems obvious that those suggestions don't really apply for those doing NK.
I think that if you're not tracking closely nuts and dairy are really easy to overeat. That may be the reason for the Paleo/Primal recommendations.

Quote:
10 total carbs?!?!?! wow, that sounds really really low... is that the average for people doing NK? I haven't really read through Phinney and Volek's book yet, but really want to get started...I have read around on this site and I was under the impression that 20 is the magic number. I really want to lose this last bit of weight, so I'll do what I need to do, but I do like my veggies :-)
I'm usually in the 15-25 range. I don't know that there's an average, but from what I read that people eat it's probably around 20-30 total per day.

Quote:
1404 cal
125.5 fat
Looks good sasonnier!
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #587
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the input guys! I feel ok after today- it was not that much food (not as much as I'm used to), but I do love me some HWC!!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #588
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Welcome Webwoman! glad you found us, it is a great place for "like minds and bodies"! sounds like you are doing great. do you have a recipe for that clam chowder to share? I tried the Stevia drinks, and well, they didn't work for me. I am hopeless with my splenda diet cokes and cherry zeros! Jones Cherry Soda and HWC is my go-to!

Maureen - so funny! DH in the kitchen is always fun at my house. Mostly when he "helps" and empties the dishwasher, then I place search and find! It's almost crock pot/soup/gumbo weather here, DH will eat it only when it "cools" down....HA! Still waiting for that day! Sorry, Shelly, I know you all are freezing!

Aeatinger, I will send you my swai fish!! unfortunately, it's a good price, but I agree with Deborah/Dottie/Buffy too, it's not my choice! Grew up catching our own fresh fish, so this "buying it business" bites! The swai fell apart....but I have dogs that will eat nearly anything!

Bobbin, tell us about the cute avi? your pup is adorable. Watch those cashews, they can trigger me big-time! Mac Nuts and a few T of almond butter are all I can control! Pecans are okay too, but wow, cashews are yummy!

omatic, it took about a month of NK and mag pot to get to reduced headaches. Prior the "warnings" would come on, and wham, the hammer between the eyes! Now, less "warnings", but if I get them, the headache is mild, nagging, and life goes on that day. Bless your heart on the nausea part, that is rare for me. I do find that when ones seems to be heading to out of control, I will drink excessive caffeine, and it helps to stall it out. We all have different hormones, and triggers; this is what I think medical research needs to get right on!!! Beets? I get a headache from those! It spikes my blood sugar and my heart races! High sugar content.

Buffy, you up at 2am! The meds still messing with you? I keep waking at 4am. Tired of this. Good numbers! A&W is good...!

Shelly, my tilapia bag says wild caught, but who knows! I try not to buy the Asian fish; they do not regulate those waters well at all. My SIL has been to China/Asia two or three times and says it's all so nasty! I agree with Sven, the mercury scares me! I try to get AK Salmon or halibut when my StepMom goes finishing there! Halibut is expensive here! ouch!

Hi Paula! you are some patient to wait for that meter! you are so good with your macros, odd you aren't higher!

Kristn, good days! I haven't found mascarpone cheese, where is it in the stores? Is it creamy, hard?

Sunday, let us know about that recipe....I am looking for this cheese!

Sophie, I have tested the "nuts are an issue for me".....and they are. When I eat them too much, day after day, I expect a bounce up on Sunday morning! Mac Nuts are pure fat, they don't seem to do that....but all others....have to control it. I count carbs period...no netting for me.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #589
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Sunday, let us know about that recipe....I am looking for this cheese!
Here ya go! It looks absolutely yummers.

High fat, low to moderate protein recipes?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #590
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Good morning everyone!

Last night I made Cheri's Southwestern Taco Soup from the recipe thread and it was a huge hit. Unfortunately I then went on to eat a bunch of cream cheese with splenda and cocoa powder--way more than I intended. I'm still full this morning! I am really trying to get away from having something sweet after dinner, but I succumbed last night.

This morning my weight was up to 149.2 and ketones were .7, so still in ketosis and still under goal.

How is everyone else doing this morning?
Good Evenng Kristn:
I know that feeling of wanting to top off the evening with something sweet especially when you have resisted it all day. I definitely think that yearning for the sweet finish emanates from the glucose seeking part of out brains. It is tricky stuff. That is one of the many reasons I try to minimize or avoid artificial sweetners- those darn triggers.

Congrats on the .7 ketones !
Maureen
Old 10-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #591
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
No, I wasn't consistent...not super high carbs but definite creep Sunday/Mon with kids birthdays. I'll see what tomorrow brings...and this should remind me to try harder not to have off days. They are killer on weight regain anyways!
Dear Paula Bob:
Those Ketone strips on one hand are enlightening and on the other I have found them ( or may be ketosis in general) challenging. I have diligently kept low carb, moderate protein and high fat. Over a 2 month period with stable blood glucose - my highest Blood Ketone reading ever was .9. I typically hover around .5. There may be some of us that are more moderate burners -plain and simple. Of course in the end I only really care about weight loss and after doing this I have lost about 5.5 lbs. Not so bad after having been strictly Low carb almost 2 years.

Maureen
Old 10-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #592
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have never eaten mascarpone, but found a recipe for homemade mascarpone and was surprised that it is basically hwc and lemon juice. I am definitely thinking about making it and will let you know how I like it. Super easy.
DearSunday:
Who knew? Very interesting. Those italians so clever. Ricotta cheese is also boiled milk with an acid and salt! I would love to hear about your experience.
Maureen
Old 10-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #593
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Question? Do y'all use refind or unrefined co.
Dear Port:
I use unrefined Organic- First Pressed by Dr. Bonner- I purchase it at Whole Foods.
Maureen
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #594
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omatic View Post
BK .4 this morning and then a migraine after 6am kettlebell class . Those fabulous roasted beets last night did me in
Dear Omatic:
Sorry to hear about Migraine. Hope it didn't last too long.
Feel better
Maureen
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #595
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Here ya go! It looks absolutely yummers.

High fat, low to moderate protein recipes?
Thanks for the link/ So interesting - Here in NYC they display the Mascarpone with the cheese like Brie and Gouda. Sometimes near the creme fraiche. Not the American cheese from Kraft that is usually near the milk and yogurt.
Maureen
Old 10-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #596
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by One maur time View Post
Thanks for the link/ So interesting - Here in NYC they display the Mascarpone with the cheese like Brie and Gouda. Sometimes near the creme fraiche. Not the American cheese from Kraft that is usually near the milk and yogurt.
Maureen
Yes, usually it's in the high-end cheese section. It it packaged in a shallow tub. The best price I've found is at Trader Joe's if you have one near you.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #597
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webwoman100
Stats: 315/236/139 (-79)
WOE: Tried Everything. Now LCHF
Start Date: Started LCHF 06.24.14
Breakfast: 1 egg, 1 yolk Scramble - 2 pc. uncured nitrate-free bacon, coffee w/HWC.
Lunch: 2 cup cabbage salad with 2 .oz feta 1.5 pc. bacon & homemade ranch dressing
Dinner: 2 cups Chicken & Cheese "chowder"
Snack: Fat Bomb & tea with HWC

Cals: 1529
Fat: 74.1%
Prot: 18.4%
Carb: 7.5%

Target: 75/18/7

Loves me some Bacon!!!

Karen
Old 10-25-2012, 04:14 AM   #598
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwoman100 View Post
Loves me some Bacon!!!

Karen
I am with you on that! I have been curing my own pork belly. Yummy !!
Old 10-25-2012, 04:17 AM   #599
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One maur time View Post
Dear Omatic:
Sorry to hear about Migraine. Hope it didn't last too long.
Feel better
Maureen
Thanks, it was mostly gone by noon. I am very lucky in that they are usually shorter in duration.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:21 AM   #600
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
1404 cal
125.5 fat
That is a great day! I am shorter like you and we do not get much protein. It can be tricky.
Closed Thread