Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #541
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Shelley, quick question. Why is the wild fish better for you than the farm raised? Probably similiar to grass fed, versus grain fed, but I really don't know. The tilapia I get is farm raised.

On the Swai, I tried it once and didn't care for the texture, but every one has different tastes.
Farmed fish is known to use "dyes" to make it look healthy, and it's also depleted of vitamins/minerals and just doesn't have "nutrition". Salmon is the worst at this...it's "not the same". I have read too many articles on farmed fish and so I personally don't touch the stuff. When I used to eat out (last year), I would ask if the salmon was farmed or wild and if it was farmed, I would pick something else. I used to be able to get wild tilapia, but all I've found this year has been farmed. So, I get "sole" instead. It's a filet of a wild white fish that is delicious! Very similar to tilapia in my opinion.

So..bottom line is that if I'm going to pay for something to eat, I want it to have some value to my body....farmed fishes do not....you are eating "nothing".....essentially per the things I have read. If someone else has thoughts on this, I would greatly like to hear them!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #542
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
So..bottom line is that if I'm going to pay for something to eat, I want it to have some value to my body....farmed fishes do not....you are eating "nothing".....essentially per the things I have read. If someone else has thoughts on this, I would greatly like to hear them!
My only thoughts are that the lower fat farmed fish are prolly not as detrimental as the higher fat salmon and so forth. I know the omega ratios are more important for the higher fat fish. Ideally I would avoid them, but my pocketbook doesn't always allow!

The good news is that my grocery expenses have gone down substantially with this WOE. Fats are surprisingly cheap compared to proteins and very filling.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #543
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
My only thoughts are that the lower fat farmed fish are prolly not as detrimental as the higher fat salmon and so forth. I know the omega ratios are more important for the higher fat fish. Ideally I would avoid them, but my pocketbook doesn't always allow!

The good news is that my grocery expenses have gone down substantially with this WOE. Fats are surprisingly cheap compared to proteins and very filling.

Loved this (about the fat being less expensive). It's so true!!!! Thanks for the info on the fatty vs lean fish. I think I'll stick with my filet of sole almondine in butter and more butter!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #544
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
I now eat wild fish exclusively. I really mostly like fatty fish like salmon, but will sometimes eat halibut when it's in season. And we had amazing hamachi and maguro sashimi in Hawaii.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #545
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Thanks for the info on the fish Shelley, will get sole next time and give it a try. Hope it is similiar to tilapia, I like a very mild, firm fish.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #546
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Farmed fish is known to use "dyes" to make it look healthy, and it's also depleted of vitamins/minerals and just doesn't have "nutrition". Salmon is the worst at this...it's "not the same". I have read too many articles on farmed fish and so I personally don't touch the stuff. When I used to eat out (last year), I would ask if the salmon was farmed or wild and if it was farmed, I would pick something else. I used to be able to get wild tilapia, but all I've found this year has been farmed. So, I get "sole" instead. It's a filet of a wild white fish that is delicious! Very similar to tilapia in my opinion.

I was advised by a nutritionist to eat only wild caught fish to limit mercury intake. Some people excrete ingested mercury well, but if you aren't genetically programmed to do this and store it instead--as I do--then one may have to be pretty careful about fish choices and go with wildcaught for that reason, also.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #547
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webwoman100
Stats: 315/236/139 (-79)
WOE: Tried Everything. Now LCHF
Start Date: Started LCHF 06.24.14
I have a question.

I see these posts about root beer floats.

What kind of root beer are you using? I am assuming a diet one.

But aren't those full of artificial sweeteners? Or did you find one that doesn't have them in there?

Thanks in advance,

Karen
Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #548
Big Yapper!!!!

Karen,
I do use AW diet root beer, that is my favorite but if you are avoiding artificial sweetners, then look for ones that are sweetened with stevia. I haven't looked at the different flavors but I am seeing some advertised. Also, it doesn't have to be root beer, can be strawberry, etc. Some people are really liking it with zero coke. But, I am pretty sure that one does have AS.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #549
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwoman100 View Post
I have a question.

But aren't those full of artificial sweeteners? Or did you find one that doesn't have them in there?

Thanks in advance,

Karen
Hi, Karen. I'm not one of the people doing root beer floats, but I assume that people are using root beer that has artificial sweeteners. Many people seem to not have any problem eating AS, but a minority of people avoid them. I try to avoid diet sodas most of the time, since AS definitely makes me hungrier, but that's not true for everyone. An alternative that you might find acceptable is Stevia; Zevia is a zero calorie soda sweetened with stevia that comes in ginger root beer flavor, but I haven't tried it, so I can't vouch for the taste.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #550
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KittyMcKnitty
Stats: >165/135/120
WOE: Paleo
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I was advised by a nutritionist to eat only wild caught fish to limit mercury intake. Some people excrete ingested mercury well, but if you aren't genetically programmed to do this and store it instead--as I do--then one may have to be pretty careful about fish choices and go with wildcaught for that reason, also.
Okay, I'm very confused, as I have always heard that fatty ocean fish have the most mercury, and every fish safety chart I have ever seen says this as well. I thought that aquacultured fish had less exposure to mercury because of their controlled diet. Where did the nutritionist get his or her information?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #551
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMcKnitty View Post
Okay, I'm very confused, as I have always heard that fatty ocean fish have the most mercury, and every fish safety chart I have ever seen says this as well. I thought that aquacultured fish had less exposure to mercury because of their controlled diet. Where did the nutritionist get his or her information?
That's probably a question that I should have asked and didn't. She might have been wrong. Maybe I'd better do some reading about this.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #552
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMcKnitty View Post
Here's some information from the FDA, which includes salmon and North Atlantic mackerel--which are relatively fatty fish, and often wildcaught--among the lower mercury level group.
Mercury Levels in Commercial Fish and Shellfish

Last edited by svenskamae; 10-23-2012 at 09:06 PM..
Old 10-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #553
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Good morning everyone!

I seem to be back to myself this morning. I even woke up before my alarm. Weight is up .2 to 148, but ketones were up to 1.8!! I have been slightly upping fat, lowering protein, and getting back into my exercise routine. It all seems to be working as I hoped it would.

How is everyone else doing??
Dear Kristn
That is great!
It sounds you are completely back on track!
Did you share that you flavor the mascarpone cheese with vanilla and Splenda? I purchased some mascarpone today. I'm thinking of trying the high fat lunch instead of my usual.
Maureen
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #554
Senior LCF Member

[quote=webwoman100;16033021]
Quote:
Good job Karen! What are your protein and carb gram goals?

One of the protein calculators said I should have between 65 & 100 grams of protein so I chose 75 grams.

And I'd like to keep my total grams of carbs under 30.

My percentage targets are more like 75%/18%/7%

And I'm down another .lb this morning! YAY! That's 10 .lbs lost in my first 9 days!

My meter is on it's way...waiting...patiently...LOL

Dear Karen
With the great success you having why bother with the testing? Congratulations. Only kidding about skipping the testing- it may wind up very valuable to provide feedback on different foods that could be helpful or alternatively problematic.

Enjoy
Maureen

Karen
Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #555
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Thanks for the info on the fish Shelley, will get sole next time and give it a try. Hope it is similiar to tilapia, I like a very mild, firm fish.
Dear Buffy
Sole is fantastic very mild and slightly firm when browned in butter - a few almonds and a little lemon- you are good to go!
Enjoy!
Maureen
Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #556
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Here's some information from the FDA, which includes salmon and North Atlantic mackerel--which are relatively fatty fish, and often wildcaught--among the lower mercury level group.
Mercury Levels in Commercial Fish and Shellfish
svenskamae
Such interesting info.
Thanks for finding that out for all of us.
Maureen
Old 10-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #557
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Dear Paula Bob
I have to agree- the volume is way down and the high fat stuff has a lower loss factor then vegetables. Interesting observation.
Maureen
Old 10-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #558
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webwoman100
Stats: 315/236/139 (-79)
WOE: Tried Everything. Now LCHF
Start Date: Started LCHF 06.24.14
Quote:
Hi, Karen. I'm not one of the people doing root beer floats, but I assume that people are using root beer that has artificial sweeteners. Many people seem to not have any problem eating AS, but a minority of people avoid them. I try to avoid diet sodas most of the time, since AS definitely makes me hungrier, but that's not true for everyone. An alternative that you might find acceptable is Stevia; Zevia is a zero calorie soda sweetened with stevia that comes in ginger root beer flavor, but I haven't tried it, so I can't vouch for the taste.
Wow! Thanks! I had no idea there was soda made with Stevia. I'm quite intrigued. I am trying to stay away from as much artificial sweeteners as possible. I don't like what they do to my brain and they make me crazy hungry.

Karen ;-)
Old 10-24-2012, 03:19 AM   #559
Blabbermouth!!!

All right...after 6 weeks or so I finally got my free meter. Was disappointed that my initial reading is only 0.2.

Could yesterdays' late night snack have effected it? I was in a 4 hour course and unable to eat...the snack was 150 calories mostly fat but at 10 pm, way past my normal eating times.

Total protein yesterday 40 (low for me), carbs 26 total, 23 net, fat 99.

All thoughts welcome! Today I'm going to reduce my carbs to the 15-20 range, my protein should be more in 45-50 grams.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:59 AM   #560
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by webwoman100 View Post
I have a question.

Thanks in advance,

Karen
Yes, it's diet. I drink one float almost every day. But just one. I use 2 TBSP heavy whipping cream. It's delicious and never stalled me!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #561
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One maur time View Post
Dear Kristn
That is great!
It sounds you are completely back on track!
Did you share that you flavor the mascarpone cheese with vanilla and Splenda? I purchased some mascarpone today. I'm thinking of trying the high fat lunch instead of my usual.
Maureen
I like it with either vanilla, splenda, and just a touch of berries, or vanilla, cocoa powder, and splenda. I like the consistency when I add a little bit of liquid splenda with the cocoa powder mixture (the cocoa powder stiffens it up a bit).
Old 10-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #562
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
All right...after 6 weeks or so I finally got my free meter. Was disappointed that my initial reading is only 0.2.

Could yesterdays' late night snack have effected it? I was in a 4 hour course and unable to eat...the snack was 150 calories mostly fat but at 10 pm, way past my normal eating times.

Total protein yesterday 40 (low for me), carbs 26 total, 23 net, fat 99.

All thoughts welcome! Today I'm going to reduce my carbs to the 15-20 range, my protein should be more in 45-50 grams.
I'm sorry that your initial reading was low! Have you been consistent over the past week with your eating? It seems like if one has a few "off" days it can take a while to get back into ketosis. I am also finding that I get lower ketone readings if I eat more or later in the evenings, so that could be a factor.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #563
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

Last night I made Cheri's Southwestern Taco Soup from the recipe thread and it was a huge hit. Unfortunately I then went on to eat a bunch of cream cheese with splenda and cocoa powder--way more than I intended. I'm still full this morning! I am really trying to get away from having something sweet after dinner, but I succumbed last night.

This morning my weight was up to 149.2 and ketones were .7, so still in ketosis and still under goal.

How is everyone else doing this morning?
Old 10-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #564
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I'm sorry that your initial reading was low! Have you been consistent over the past week with your eating? It seems like if one has a few "off" days it can take a while to get back into ketosis. I am also finding that I get lower ketone readings if I eat more or later in the evenings, so that could be a factor.
No, I wasn't consistent...not super high carbs but definite creep Sunday/Mon with kids birthdays. I'll see what tomorrow brings...and this should remind me to try harder not to have off days. They are killer on weight regain anyways!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #565
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
I like it with either vanilla, splenda, and just a touch of berries, or vanilla, cocoa powder, and splenda. I like the consistency when I add a little bit of liquid splenda with the cocoa powder mixture (the cocoa powder stiffens it up a bit).
I have never eaten mascarpone, but found a recipe for homemade mascarpone and was surprised that it is basically hwc and lemon juice. I am definitely thinking about making it and will let you know how I like it. Super easy.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #566
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
I drink the Ginger Ale and Rootbeer Zevia and had never thought about adding HWC. Sounds like it may be refreshing! Looking forward to this!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #567
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Question? Do y'all use refind or unrefined co.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #568
Big Yapper!!!!

PC, I have settled on my favorite, at least for now, CO. It is Nutiva organic EV and it says unrefined. I have tried quite a few different ones over the past couple of months and DD and I agree that we like this one best. The worst I bought and tried, and it tastes so bad I am going to return it, was Now Virgin CO. It smells and tastes almost rancid. It could be old, I ordered online and can't find a exp. date on it anywhere. I just ordered the 59oz size of nutiva, a little cheaper that way. I did find one for $5.99 at TJ Maxx that was equally as good but no cheaper, it was just a 1 pint size. Between DD and I, making fat bombs and baking, I am going through a lot of it.
Now, that was way more than what you asked, sorry!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #569
Big Yapper!!!!

Sunday, so do you like the zevia rootbeer? I am tempted to try it, but I like the taste of my diet A&W sooo much. AS don't seem to bother me but I know stevia is the best for us.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #570
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Good morning everyone!

Last night I made Cheri's Southwestern Taco Soup from the recipe thread and it was a huge hit. Unfortunately I then went on to eat a bunch of cream cheese with splenda and cocoa powder--way more than I intended. I'm still full this morning! I am really trying to get away from having something sweet after dinner, but I succumbed last night.

This morning my weight was up to 149.2 and ketones were .7, so still in ketosis and still under goal.

How is everyone else doing this morning?
Kristn, I too am having the problem of breaking the habit of wanting a sweet after my meals. I have found that 1 square of dark chocolate or a fat bomb satisfies, but still would like to get to the point where I don't crave that.
Closed Thread