Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #511
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aeatinger
Menu suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
Do you guys mind giving me an idea of what your daily food intake looks like? I'd also like to know your height, weight, and age. I am toying with the idea of trying NK out, but I'm not really sure what proportions I should be eating and how to make those macro nutrients work. I am 5'2, 143, and 34 yrs old. Thanks!!

I posted on the a separate thread that talks about menu my daily intake- I'm 5'4, 143 as well and 45 yrs old. That may help!!1
Amy

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #512
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Do you guys mind giving me an idea of what your daily food intake looks like? I'd also like to know your height, weight, and age. I am toying with the idea of trying NK out, but I'm not really sure what proportions I should be eating and how to make those macro nutrients work. I am 5'2, 143, and 34 yrs old. Thanks!!
What is your goal weight and goal body fat %?

The very first post on this thread has some information and links for figuring out how much you should be eating. It's important to get the right gram amounts of protein and carbs and then fill in your calories with fat. Getting into NK really rests on getting your protein and carb amounts correct for you.

I am 49 yo, 5' 5.5" currently ~148, and not really trying to lose any more. My calories goals are in the range of 1600-2000 with 70-90grams of protein, 20-30g of total (not net) carbs, and the rest fat. When I was losing I was eating 1200-1500 calories, 60-70grams of protein, and less than 20grams of carbs.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #513
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeatinger View Post
I posted on the a separate thread that talks about menu my daily intake- I'm 5'4, 143 as well and 45 yrs old. That may help!!1
Amy
You can find the menu thread here.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #514
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: omatic
Stats: 148/140/130
Quote:
I am 45yo, 5'3 and 140 lbs. Today I had
Breakfast: scrambled eggs with one egg and two yolks with a splash of heavy cream cooked in a pat of butter, one serving of liverwurst and 1/2 cup of tomato juice.

Lunch: One Chicken leg and salad with 1/2 avocado,one plum tomato and 5 sliced olives with olive oil.

Dinner: 2-3 oz beef with onions, 2-3 pieces of broc.

3 pieces of 80% chocolate, 2tbs of MCT oil, 1tbs flax seed oil, 1tbs cod liver oil, one fat bomb.

I usually run 85% fat 10% protein (52 grams) and 5% carbs (20 grams gross)

A good day
Old 10-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #515
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Thanks for the link! I don't really have a goal weight/% I just want to be strong and healthy looking. I have knee problems, and I think taking an extra 20-25lbs would be really good for my knees- I think it is a reasonable amt to lose- the range for 5'2" begins at around 100lbs, and I am small-medium frame. I think my protein goals are gonna be around 45g- that's what they were when i was doing Rosedale- and his protein requirements are a bit lower than Volek & Phinney (I think). I'll probably keep my carbs around 20-30. When doing Rosedale, I didn't have carbs in check and ate like 1 1/2 avocados a day- plus nuts and other veggies- so the carbs add up quickly. I think my calorie intake needs to be around 1500. I'm still waiting for Volek's book to arrive in the mail :-)
Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #516
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Hello to all. Waiting to leave work...and realized I have not checked in with my friends on NK!

Buffy, you have 3 daughters? I have 2, that was perfect, one more could have done me in! I need one of them to listen and start this plan. Maybe Mom will get smarter as she ages!

Has anyone tried Swai fish? Looking for taste here....think I will stick with anything but.....

Kristn, that is great. My DD2 thinks the NK way, she lifts weights, they likely weigh close to her, she is about a size 2....! She is LC always. DD1 thinks I am nuts too.

Maureen, I love cabbage and so far, it works great on this. I stir-fry it, make coleslaw too. Squash is my go to and works well.

Welcome Omatic! I have miserable migraines, with those nasty black spots and pretty auras! This has nearly killed them, and I added magnesium too, which is a great reducer of headaches.

Hi Sandy! Welcome!

Welcome to Karen too! Congrats!

Wow Ella, 6.2!

Thanks for the coffee recipe Joe, it was ME!

Hi V, Judy is right, my first ones turned me green. take it slow....I started with cream cheese, and, then mixed it into nut butters, and coconut butter & cream. I can only cook with CO....

Sassonier, you can check your frame size by measuring your wrist where the bone is between the hand and arm. use a flexible tape, or cut paper, measure, and put by a ruler. There are several online Frame Measure charts. I recommend checking this as you drop weight, as you may be someone who collects fat at the wrist. Helps to get a clear point of "goal."
Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #517
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by webwoman100 View Post
Hello Everyone, I'm new again. LOL.

I have tried LC'ing and could not seem to get the scale to budge at all. I am very insulin resistant and definitely have syndrome X. Sigh. Long story I'll have to share sometime.

But found NK a week ago and to my great surprise I am down 9 .lbs. Yay! I haven't been this number in a long long time time.

I'm glad to have found this thread/support.

Karen ;-)
congrats! Join us we are all moving in the same direction- thinner and healthier!
Maureen
Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #518
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~v~~ View Post
I posted in the recipe help thread but maybe you guys can help me. I am doing NK in hopes of being keto adapted for endurance sports. I made/tried my first fat bomb and about 45 minutes after eating it I feel extremely nauseous. Everyone seems to love these things. What did I do wrong?
Dear V
I think the coconut oil got you. For many of us- my big DH included- it requires a build up. Many of us try in the beginning with 1 tablespoon of Coconut oil. Often times it is too much too fast. Try reducing to a 1/2 tablespoon and stay there for a week and then build up. Other more digestible fats will help with satiety while you are building up a tolerance. I hope the nausea didn't last too long.
Feel better!
Maureen
Old 10-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #519
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~v~~ View Post
thanks for the info. I didn't like the thing while I was eating it and I really don't like it now! I was so puzzled since they get such rave reviews. I hope I can keep it down. blah.
Dear V
Try experimenting. I drink the coconut oil diluted in warm water with a little sea salt. ( I can tolerate it better and finney and Volek are always coaching to stay vigilant about ample sodium). I chug that down. Not fantastic but tolerable.

Then I have a fat bomb of either coffee or chai tea( bigelow) with 2 tablespoons of kerrygold unsalted butter and 2 tablespoons of trader joes coconut cream. Delicious!

Now my DH just drops the coconut oil in black coffee - he enjoys that!
Maureen
Old 10-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #520
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaP View Post
My ketones have been steadily in the 3.1 to 3.9 range with morning testing, before coffee and coconut oil. Today I got called into work early, missing my morning coconut oil and I worked through lunch, again missing my usual bit of lunchtime coconut oil. I have been wondering if my good ketone readings were more from Coconut Oil or actual NK, so I decided to check ketones mid-day, fasting, no coconut oil, just coffee and water since 7 pm last night (19 hours) and no coconut oil for 24+ hours. Just now I got a 6.2 ketone reading with a 64 bs (I'm not diabetic).

I was curious because even with good NK, my weight loss has slowed a tiny bit this last week or two - probably a normal dieting fluctuation, but it's so much more fun losing faster. While I realize later in the day Ketone readings are higher, I'd say I'm definitely in NK.
Dear Ella
Wow you are hitting it out of the park. Congratulations.
Maureen
Old 10-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #521
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Hello to all. Waiting to leave work...and realized I have not checked in with my friends on NK!

Buffy, you have 3 daughters? I have 2, that was perfect, one more could have done me in! I need one of them to listen and start this plan. Maybe Mom will get smarter as she ages!

Has anyone tried Swai fish? Looking for taste here....think I will stick with anything but.....

Kristn, that is great. My DD2 thinks the NK way, she lifts weights, they likely weigh close to her, she is about a size 2....! She is LC always. DD1 thinks I am nuts too.

Maureen, I love cabbage and so far, it works great on this. I stir-fry it, make coleslaw too. Squash is my go to and works well.

Welcome Omatic! I have miserable migraines, with those nasty black spots and pretty auras! This has nearly killed them, and I added magnesium too, which is a great reducer of headaches.

Hi Sandy! Welcome!

Welcome to Karen too! Congrats!

Wow Ella, 6.2!

Thanks for the coffee recipe Joe, it was ME!

Hi V, Judy is right, my first ones turned me green. take it slow....I started with cream cheese, and, then mixed it into nut butters, and coconut butter & cream. I can only cook with CO....

Sassonier, you can check your frame size by measuring your wrist where the bone is between the hand and arm. use a flexible tape, or cut paper, measure, and put by a ruler. There are several online Frame Measure charts. I recommend checking this as you drop weight, as you may be someone who collects fat at the wrist. Helps to get a clear point of "goal."
Dear Southern girl
Thanks for the suggestion. Tonight I made a crock pot recipe from Amy Dungan's site. Tasted ok- but DH got home before me and decided to help by vigorously stirring. It looked like cat food by the time he walked away. oh well tomorrow is another day. It was easy- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts with 8 oz of Italian dressing in crock pot for 6-8 hours. When you return home gently remove chicken( keep darn DH away from stirring) and with remaining sauce mix in sour cream and grated Parmesan. Serve over cabbage, steamed broccoli or spaghetti squash.

Have a great night!
Maureen
Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #522
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webwoman100
Stats: 315/236/139 (-79)
WOE: Tried Everything. Now LCHF
Start Date: Started LCHF 06.24.14
Breakfast: 4 .oz pork sausage - 2 eggs fried in the sausage grease - 1/4 avocado - coffee w/heavy cream. I was STUFFED after this. Which is crazy because in my carby days I could eat that AND fried potatoes and toast! So something is happening. LOL.
Lunch - Tuna salad wrapped in kale leaves.
Snack - Fat bomb
Dinner - Clam "chowder"
Snack - brie cheese

Cals: 1786
fat: 75.7%
Protein: 19.1
Carb: 5.3

My meter is coming soon. But like I said I am down 9 .lbs since I started 8 days ago. Woot!
Karen
Old 10-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #523
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aeatinger
Swai fish

I love Swai fish! I think it has a very mild/non fishy taste
Old 10-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #524
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:

I've tried it a few times. Once in a pretty decent restaurant, and the other few times at home. I love all kinds of fish, but don't really care for this one. If you try it, let me know what you think!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #525
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Hi there- I hope everyone's week is going good so far. My books and meter should be here before Friday. I tried to stay in the range I've seen in different posts online yesterday...it was a little hard. I did great until about 9:00 at night, when I shoved a handful of cashews in my mouth. With that little mess up my ratios came in at 79% fat(183 gm), 12% protein (57 gm) and 9% carbs. The actual grams of carbs was way too high, at 48 gross and 1900 calories! I gotta read some of your menus to get an idea of what I can eat, it ended up being lots of nuts, butter, eggs and coconut oil. Even now I'm starving, I guess I'm used to a lot more protein.

I can't wait to get those books and meter, because it seems like the meter reading is really what we're aiming for here, not percentages, right? Well anyway, looking forward to the weekend so I have time to read all of your posts and get to know eveyone and also learn what I can eat...so hungry....
Old 10-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #526
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Sasonnier!

I'm 5'5", a little over 119 lbs, and I'm 43 with a small frame. My food intake is a very low protein breakfast. Usually a diet root beer HWC float these days, and a tablespoon of coconut oil. Actually, I guess that's 100% fat. I take supplements at breakfast time and dinner time.

Lunch is usually an egg yolk salad if I know I'm going to have a higher protein dinner. Otherwise it's tilapia, and a romaine salad tossed with olive oil. Or bacon, and egg yolks scrambled in butter. And another tablespoon of coconut oil. Currently I'm using Nutiva extra virgin.

Dinner is some kind of protein, 3 - 5 ounces depending on appetite, and some low carb veggie.

For snacks I eat hard boiled egg yolks, spicy pepperoni slices with a little cheese; diet soda HWC floats, and cream cheese clouds (I've been using Neufchatel cheese). Because it's my TOM, lately I've been having a thing for Breyers Carbsmart vanilla ice cream, topped with walnuts, but that's definitely not my norm. I try to portion that, but not always successful, lol!

Eating this way, my ratios usually work out pretty well. Hope that helps!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #527
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

I seem to be back to myself this morning. I even woke up before my alarm. Weight is up .2 to 148, but ketones were up to 1.8!! I have been slightly upping fat, lowering protein, and getting back into my exercise routine. It all seems to be working as I hoped it would.

How is everyone else doing??
Old 10-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #528
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

I am so happy for you SouthernGirl! I also have disturbed vision and pretty auras. Too bad it goes on to a head ache

I take 800mg magnesium a day along with Dr McCleary's Ketogenic cocktail of supplements and oil, no artificial sweeteners, very limited alcohol, HRT, great sleep, and NK diet.

I did go 5wks without one but this last one was bad with nausea. Makes work and life miserable. It is frustrating !
Old 10-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #529
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Good morning everyone!

I seem to be back to myself this morning. I even woke up before my alarm. Weight is up .2 to 148, but ketones were up to 1.8!! I have been slightly upping fat, lowering protein, and getting back into my exercise routine. It all seems to be working as I hoped it would.

How is everyone else doing??
1.8 is great !

My BK was .5 this morning....ugh! I believe that it may be from the onions I had with dinner last night. They are high in sugars.

I hope you are doing well in kettlebell class. I know from experience that a break will cause you to suck wind for the first few classes back. I skipped the 6am class today since I am having a rare day off. Time for some get-ups later.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #530
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning.

Love to come here and read about everyone's days.

I was up super super late, then ate at about 2:00 AM, my dinner, yikes! So, that messed with the scale but my BK was 2.4, one of my highest and my BS 89, which is good and my BF lower than usual.

have to run, BBL to catch up
Old 10-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #531
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webwoman100
Stats: 315/236/139 (-79)
WOE: Tried Everything. Now LCHF
Start Date: Started LCHF 06.24.14
[QUOTE=mom2zeke;16032618]Good job Karen! What are your protein and carb gram goals?

One of the protein calculators said I should have between 65 & 100 grams of protein so I chose 75 grams.

And I'd like to keep my total grams of carbs under 30.

My percentage targets are more like 75%/18%/7%

And I'm down another .lb this morning! YAY! That's 10 .lbs lost in my first 9 days!

My meter is on it's way...waiting...patiently...LOL

Karen
Old 10-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #532
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

And I'm down another .lb this morning! YAY! That's 10 .lbs lost in my first 9 days!
Karen
That is awesome!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #533
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

Eat butter=comes off like butter! Good for you !
Old 10-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #534
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeatinger View Post

I love Swai fish! I think it has a very mild/non fishy taste
It's "just ok" to me. I love tilapia. Swai was a bit soft (if that makes sense) to me. I just pan fried it (evoo, salt and pepper the fillet and cook over moderate heat for about 3 minutes per side until it was golden).
Whereas tilapia will stand up to a sauce, I got the feeling the swai would fall apart.
I may try it again, I love fish
Old 10-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #535
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
One of the protein calculators said I should have between 65 & 100 grams of protein so I chose 75 grams.

Karen
Congratulations on the loss!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #536
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning.

Love to come here and read about everyone's days.

I was up super super late, then ate at about 2:00 AM, my dinner, yikes! So, that messed with the scale but my BK was 2.4, one of my highest and my BS 89, which is good and my BF lower than usual.

have to run, BBL to catch up
That's interesting data about the late eating, ketones, and BS. How nice to see those good numbers--congratulations!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #537
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Good morning all......what great posts and great scale losses and great ketone readings going up up up! Hooray for all of you.

I have never heard of swai fish and will need to check that out. I love dover sole myself. I have never found wild tilapia...it's always farmed. Do you all eat the tilapia farmed or do you live in an area where you can get it wild?

Gained 1# since yesterday, but not a surprise with doing weight lifting for the first time in 4 months....was at the gym for 75 minutes doing elliptical and weights and then elliptical to "cool down". ha ha Felt so good though, but my body is a bit "swollen" which was expected. It should drop back down....just in time for me to head to the gym again (ha ha).
Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #538
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omatic View Post
My BK was .5 this morning....ugh! I believe that it may be from the onions I had with dinner last night. They are high in sugars.

I hope you are doing well in kettlebell class. I know from experience that a break will cause you to suck wind for the first few classes back. I skipped the 6am class today since I am having a rare day off. Time for some get-ups later.
Yes, onions can be pretty carby. I try to limit them, but they're so yummy all fried up.

Last night was kettelebell class #2 after the break. I am still sore from the first class back, but feeling much better. I hope it won't take too long to get back to where I was.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #539
Big Yapper!!!!

Shelley, quick question. Why is the wild fish better for you than the farm raised? Probably similiar to grass fed, versus grain fed, but I really don't know. The tilapia I get is farm raised.

On the Swai, I tried it once and didn't care for the texture, but every one has different tastes.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #540
Big Yapper!!!!

[quote=webwoman100;16033021]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Good job Karen! What are your protein and carb gram goals?

Karen
Closed Thread