Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #481
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Buffy the fish I used was fish my husbands ex wife boyfriend caught while we was in ga this summer,he went out that morning caught it cleaned it and bagged it for us he said it was flounder but I don't think it was taste like mango snapper really mild I don't like strong fish either tilapia is one of my favorite fish too.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 06:07 AM   #482
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Welcome one mar time!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:07 AM   #483
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Good morning everyone!

This morning weight was down again 147.8 (down .6) and ketones were up at .9. Day 2 of ketones over .5. So it took 5 days back from vacation to get my am ketones in range. TOM is now gone which may account for the 3 down days on the scale.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 10-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #484
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One maur time View Post
I had pork rinds as a snack. They are ok if you don't smell them otherwise- scary.

Today I tried making the cream cheese cocoa blend with that new sweetener from monk fruit. I added a little creme fraiche , and a couple of tablespoons of coconut milk to see how that works. Going to let it set up in the fridge.

Way to go on the 1 lb down
Thanks!

I agree with you on the pork rind smell-yuck! But so crunchy and tasty. When we were in Hawaii I saw kimchi flavored pork rinds but I didn't pick them up.

Let me know how your concoction comes out--it sounds great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Kitty, I love wine, in fact another crate just arrived that DH ordered. I only drink red wines for the most part, and I have found that 4-5oz, no more than 6 oz, every other day or so doesn't seem to cause issues. however, if I dare go over that amount, it messes with everything! Too much and I rise and shine at 4am, and that doesn't work well for a long day; then it will stall me and I bounce weight a day or so. So I found a great smaller glass to trick myself that I am still getting my wine!

Yea Kristn, you are back in the groove!
Thanks! RE: Wine. This is probably my problem, once I start drinking it I almost never stick to one small glass.

Quote:
Joe, what do you put in the Bullet Proof Coffee? I remember a discussion about it in Sept posts, but I wouldn't dream of going back to search.
Not Joe, but do a google search on bullet proof coffee. It's from the bullet proof executive site and there are lots of variations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMcKnitty View Post
I just cooked 3 hamburger patties, baked 4 tilapia filets, made deviled eggs and fixed 4 cups of broccoli soup in the Magic Bullet. This morning I made a batch of fat bombs. Heat and eat for the rest of the week! Woo-hoo!
Great job preparing for the week Kitty!

Buffy--I think it's so great that you can talk to your daughters about this WOE. My 20 y.o. son thinks I'm nuts and is convinced by conventional wisdom about diet. My 16 y.o. is really funny. He watched Fat Head on his own and claims to believe that he should eat more like DH and I. But in reality he eats tons of junk. Both are quite slim so I don't think they would take any eating plan seriously. We'll see what happens if they ever gain weight.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:51 AM   #485
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Good morning all.....welcome back Dottie...sorry you were so sick! Glad you are doing better and posting again.

Maureen, had to tell you I am one that drops ketones, raises glucose when eating any veggies and that includes lettuces. I have done experiments on myself to find this is the case...so my carbs usually come from eggs/bacon/sausage, etc., not from any fruits or veggies. But research says that carbs are totally unnecessary, as is fiber, so I don't worry about it any more.

Kristn...I know you will get right back to where you were before vacation. I'm just glad you enjoyed yourself, didn't gain 10#, and are back on track. You know it's just a matter of time. I have read people say 6-14 days to get back into ketosis once you are out. Let us know how many days it takes you! I bumped "out" by doing a fasting glucose experiment (having a piece of GF toast) and was "out" for 2 days (.3 and .1) so haven't tested for a few days (not wasting the strips until next week). I'll be curious to know how long it takes you to get back in to ketosis.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Dear Shelley
I will try my own n-1 to see where I land. If I can't enjoy veggies I will really miss them oh well let's see what happens!
Thanks for your imput!
Maureen
Old 10-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #486
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Welcome one mar time!
Dear Port Cop
Thank you. I like that you cooked fish caught by someone you knew! I am definitely going to try aand use ground up pork rids in place of bread crumb for veal or chicken cutlets. Something my DH is really missing.

Have a great day!
Maureen
Old 10-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #487
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Morning everyone!
Kristn, WTG on your weight going back downward. I think the small upward movement was just from traveling and TOM, don't you? Glad you are back in ketosis too.
Yes, my DD's and I have spend a lot of time discussing our eating , our control of, our lack of control of, on and on. They watched me go from thin to heavy and battle it year after year, trying everything under the sun. They have done better, have better knowledge and all keep fit. One of my DD's though is built exactly like me and I think has the same insulin resistance I do, she is the one doing NK with me and is doing well on it. The other 2 have controlled theirs with their diet and exercise. But, also tend to try to go LC as well. Just not nearly as strict.

PC, had to at your story of where the fish came from

Maureen, I am able to eat the LC veggies and still stay in ketosis, so you may not have to give them up. Certainly YMMV type of thing.

Kitty, sounds like you are prepped for the week! Isn't that a good feeling? I need to make DD some more fat bombs, or "chocolate vitamins" we now call them

Hi Swen, Bobbin, JoeEo, SG and Paula. Paula, I love those cocoa roast almonds too, I put them in our "chocolate vitamins"
Old 10-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #488
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: omatic
Stats: 148/140/130
Hello to All ! Decided to join in after following the posts for some time. I have been LC for 3years, grain, sugar and dairy free since July and NK for 9 weeks. I started NK to address my migraines after reading "Brain Trust" by Dr. McCleary.

I have been training with Kettlebells for almost 3years (with a 9mo break due to shoulder issue) 2-3x a week. Class triggers my migraines.

Since following Dr. McCleary's supplements and NK, the migraines have slowed down. I have lost inches with a pound or two along the way.

Has anyone else started the WOE to address migraines?

Very happy that BK were .9 and BG 86 after a not so NK weekend.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #489
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One maur time View Post
Dear Shelley
I will try my own n-1 to see where I land. If I can't enjoy veggies I will really miss them oh well let's see what happens!
Thanks for your imput!
Maureen
Maureen--I am also one who can eat some veggies (within limits) and stay in NK. I hope that you are able to incorporate them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Kristn, WTG on your weight going back downward. I think the small upward movement was just from traveling and TOM, don't you? Glad you are back in ketosis too.
Yes Buffy! I was a bit worried about the low ketones, but seeing them go up has been reassuring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omatic View Post
Hello to All ! Decided to join in after following the posts for some time. I have been LC for 3years, grain, sugar and dairy free since July and NK for 9 weeks. I started NK to address my migraines after reading "Brain Trust" by Dr. McCleary.

I have been training with Kettlebells for almost 3years (with a 9mo break due to shoulder issue) 2-3x a week. Class triggers my migraines.

Since following Dr. McCleary's supplements and NK, the migraines have slowed down. I have lost inches with a pound or two along the way.

omatic! No migranes but another kettlebeller here. What does Brain Trust have to say about ketosis, supplements and migranes? And congrats on the reduced migranes and loss of inches and pounds!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #490
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
WTG Buffy!! I see your new weight that you posted this a.m. You are doing fantastic!!

Even though I'm really not doing NK, per se, just reading this thread has prompted me to reduce my protein and up my fats. I'm not perfect but it's working well in my maintenance management.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #491
Big Yapper!!!!

Omatic, glad to have you here and sharing our experience. Luckily, I don't have the migraine issue and I certainly hope you can find the solution to that.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #492
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Hi Omatic
I suffer for migraines occasionally- mostly the visual disturbances. I do find that they have improved on NK. It may be a function of low sugar and almost no preservatives. I also try to stay away from artificial sweeteners which for me seem to play a role. I definitely see a correlation with TOM , weather , stress and diet.
I hope this WOE can help with your migraines!
Maureen
Old 10-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #493
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Sandy, both DD and I saw the 196's this weekend, we are very excited and happy.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #494
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks Sandy, both DD and I saw the 196's this weekend, we are very excited and happy.
Woo hoo!!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #495
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KittyMcKnitty
Stats: >165/135/120
WOE: Paleo
I used to suffer from terrible migraines all the time (both my parents get them), and at one point my doctor put me on some anti-seizure medication as a preventative. It worked, but the weird - and disturbing - thing is that they never came back, except for very rarely, after I stopped taking it. It did something to my brain.

I can believe that a ketogenic diet would help migraines, since it's used to treat seizure disorders, and anti-seizure medications also prevent migraines. Fascinating.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #496
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:

Hi! I'm sorry, I know nothing about migraines (only had them as a child and teen, but none since adulthood). I just wanted to say hi from one kettlebeller to another!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #497
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Dear Buffy
So exciting!, congratulations!,
Maureen
Old 10-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #498
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webwoman100
Stats: 315/241/139 (-74)
WOE: Tried Everything. Now LCHF
Start Date: Started LCHF 06.24.14
Hello Everyone, I'm new again. LOL.

I have tried LC'ing and could not seem to get the scale to budge at all. I am very insulin resistant and definitely have syndrome X. Sigh. Long story I'll have to share sometime.

But found NK a week ago and to my great surprise I am down 9 .lbs. Yay! I haven't been this number in a long long time time.

I'm glad to have found this thread/support.

Karen ;-)
Old 10-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #499
Major LCF Poster!

Karen!

Congratulations on your success so far.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #500
Big Yapper!!!!

Karen, so exciting to find something that works!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #501
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: omatic
Stats: 148/140/130
Thank you for all the responses about migraines. I would suggest reading the Brain Trust Program

Here is a link to give you some insight.
Moved to LivinLaVidaLowCarb.com/Blog: McCleary: Ketone Bodies Produced By A Low-Carb Diet Are High-Octane Brain Food

Kristin and Deborah.....love those kettelbells
Old 10-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #502
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
My ketones have been steadily in the 3.1 to 3.9 range with morning testing, before coffee and coconut oil. Today I got called into work early, missing my morning coconut oil and I worked through lunch, again missing my usual bit of lunchtime coconut oil. I have been wondering if my good ketone readings were more from Coconut Oil or actual NK, so I decided to check ketones mid-day, fasting, no coconut oil, just coffee and water since 7 pm last night (19 hours) and no coconut oil for 24+ hours. Just now I got a 6.2 ketone reading with a 64 bs (I'm not diabetic).

I was curious because even with good NK, my weight loss has slowed a tiny bit this last week or two - probably a normal dieting fluctuation, but it's so much more fun losing faster. While I realize later in the day Ketone readings are higher, I'd say I'm definitely in NK.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #503
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaP View Post
My ketones have been steadily in the 3.1 to 3.9 range with morning testing, before coffee and coconut oil. Today I got called into work early, missing my morning coconut oil and I worked through lunch, again missing my usual bit of lunchtime coconut oil. I have been wondering if my good ketone readings were more from Coconut Oil or actual NK, so I decided to check ketones mid-day, fasting, no coconut oil, just coffee and water since 7 pm last night (19 hours) and no coconut oil for 24+ hours. Just now I got a 6.2 ketone reading with a 64 bs (I'm not diabetic).

I was curious because even with good NK, my weight loss has slowed a tiny bit this last week or two - probably a normal dieting fluctuation, but it's so much more fun losing faster. While I realize later in the day Ketone readings are higher, I'd say I'm definitely in NK.
Hi Ella....don't have my Phinney/Volek book handy or I'd look it up, but I recall them saying that the idea range is .5 to 3 and being over and under is not "optimal". Someone will jump in and correct me if I am not remembering correctly. Maybe you need to eat more/less of something to drop your ketones within the optimal range?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #504
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Hi Ella....don't have my Phinney/Volek book handy or I'd look it up, but I recall them saying that the idea range is .5 to 3 and being over and under is not "optimal". Someone will jump in and correct me if I am not remembering correctly. Maybe you need to eat more/less of something to drop your ketones within the optimal range?
Hi, Ella and Shelly. My memory of the Phinney/Volek book is that there is no additional gain from being over 3.0 but I don't think there's an actual disadvantage to being over 3.0--just one of those things where more is not actually better. At some point, the level becomes dangerous, but that has to be way, way higher (in ketoacidosis) and is unlikely to occur except in people whose diabetes is seriously out of control.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #505
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JoeEO
MCT Oil

Some one asked about my bullet-proof coffee recipe....it is very specific....I take one k-cup of Tully's Dark Roast and then 1TBL of MCT Oil, Butter and HWC.....It only works if it is Tully's dark roast or Illy espresso roast in a pinch......

In regard to MCT oil, I do think that once you are Keto adapted that supplementing with mct oil is useful and does have pretty strong affect on appetite (negative). I fasted yesterday for a good 20+ hours (lifted weights around hours 18) and was not hungry and I felt fine in all regards.

If you are fasting remember you still need to get your H2O and mineral supplementation (as per Phinney/Volek)

Joe E O
Old 10-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #506
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ~~v~~
I posted in the recipe help thread but maybe you guys can help me. I am doing NK in hopes of being keto adapted for endurance sports. I made/tried my first fat bomb and about 45 minutes after eating it I feel extremely nauseous. Everyone seems to love these things. What did I do wrong?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #507
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
~~v~~
Coconut oil in the fat bombs takes some getting used-to.
You've got to work up to a certain amount - many many of us have eaten too much at one time or another and regretted it.
Your reaction is not uncommon at all.

You'll be OK in awhile. But for me it's 3 or so hours before I feel OK again.
Sorry.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #508
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ~~v~~
thanks for the info. I didn't like the thing while I was eating it and I really don't like it now! I was so puzzled since they get such rave reviews. I hope I can keep it down. blah.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #509
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaP View Post

I don't have the book in front of me, but over a certain ketone reading the chart refers to it as "starvation." I think that ketones get pretty high when you're already adapted and you don't eat very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeEO View Post
Some one asked about my bullet-proof coffee recipe....it is very specific....I take one k-cup of Tully's Dark Roast and then 1TBL of MCT Oil, Butter and HWC.....It only works if it is Tully's dark roast or Illy espresso roast in a pinch......
Has to be Tully's, eh? I'm loving the Kona coffee we brought back with us last week, but we're going through it fast and it's too pricy to drink all of the time.

Quote:
If you are fasting remember you still need to get your H2O and mineral supplementation (as per Phinney/Volek)
Great reminder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~v~~ View Post
I posted in the recipe help thread but maybe you guys can help me. I am doing NK in hopes of being keto adapted for endurance sports. I made/tried my first fat bomb and about 45 minutes after eating it I feel extremely nauseous. Everyone seems to love these things. What did I do wrong?
~~v~~! As Judy pointed out, there's an adjustment period when eating coconut oil for many people.

There are also lots of different recipes for fat bombs. If you don't like one, there are others to choose from.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #510
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sasonnier
Stats: 146/143.6/115ish
WOE: NK
Start Date: 10/24/12
Do you guys mind giving me an idea of what your daily food intake looks like? I'd also like to know your height, weight, and age. I am toying with the idea of trying NK out, but I'm not really sure what proportions I should be eating and how to make those macro nutrients work. I am 5'2, 143, and 34 yrs old. Thanks!!
Closed Thread