Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #361
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Um. Having been the victim on numerous occasions it is a lot more akin to Granny whipping Jethro all around the mansion than Gibbs with the occasional reality check.

Oh, I completely forgot about that! Yep, that was quite a show! And memories are coming back of Mamma chasing my brother, yes, southern life is amusing at times!
SouthernGirl61 is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #362
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Shelley, what do you think is going wrong? How many grams of fat, protein and carbs are you eating each day?
Hi Rebecca....don't know what is "wrong", but I've been doing approx 47-50 grams protein (15-17%), 120-160 grams of fat (80-85%) and under 20 total carbs (under 5%). But I have been OUT of ketosis all last week and got a lovely 1.5# gain. (Lost 3# LBM and gained 3# in fat)...I"m going the wrong way.

I have dropped my calories from 1600 to 1200 as well to no avail.

The only thing I can figure is that I'm one of those that the Swedish doc/author talks about who doesn't get into ketosis no matter what for up to 6 months!

I never did get my ketones up like most...usually it was .6 to .9 and then poof, it dropped to .3 on MOnday and was yesterday at .1. I decided to stop testing as it's costly and it doesn't seem to be working for me. I lost 2# in September and have gained back 1.4# in October so far...so a net loss of about 1/2# since Sept. 1st.

I have "no clue" what the deal is. It seems when I added in more fat (raising from 78 to 80's with lower calories is when I started having issues. So, I"m upping my calories (and then promptly gained 1# overnight), but I'm not giving up. I did get into ketosis (1.0) when I did 4 days of fat fast, but I can't stay eating that way for more than 3-4 days.

The other thing is that my glucose levels are going up up up. Used to be 90's and now are 100's and have been 125. But...I also tested with the same drop of blood on 2 different Nova Max meters and got these levels 94/111 and 112/125. So, I gave up on doing that again! ha ha that was pretty funny!

So...got any ideas???
__________________
Shelley
shelley is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #363
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
I'm back!

Hi everyone! I'm back from vacation and I'm going to try and catch up with this thread today!

I think I did pretty well with my eating on the trip. DH and I made our own breakfast everyday and I made sure that it was a nice, fatty one! I didn't measure or weigh, just eyeballed. And while I tried not to eat too much protein, I'm sure I ate more in general than usual.

This morning I got on the scale and I was 149. I measured my ketones and they were .5.

We had a fantastic vacation and it's a bit hard to be back to reality today. Tomorrow will be even harder when I go back to work.

How is everyone else doing?
__________________
Kristn
50 yo
LC since 2001
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #364
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,909
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Hi everyone! I'm back from vacation and I'm going to try and catch up with this thread today!

I think I did pretty well with my eating on the trip. DH and I made our own breakfast everyday and I made sure that it was a nice, fatty one! I didn't measure or weigh, just eyeballed. And while I tried not to eat too much protein, I'm sure I ate more in general than usual.

This morning I got on the scale and I was 149. I measured my ketones and they were .5.

We had a fantastic vacation and it's a bit hard to be back to reality today. Tomorrow will be even harder when I go back to work.

How is everyone else doing?
I KNEW you could do it!!! Good Job!
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #365
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Hi everyone! I'm back from vacation and I'm going to try and catch up with this thread today!

I think I did pretty well with my eating on the trip. DH and I made our own breakfast everyday and I made sure that it was a nice, fatty one! I didn't measure or weigh, just eyeballed. And while I tried not to eat too much protein, I'm sure I ate more in general than usual.

This morning I got on the scale and I was 149. I measured my ketones and they were .5.

We had a fantastic vacation and it's a bit hard to be back to reality today. Tomorrow will be even harder when I go back to work.

How is everyone else doing?
Yay....Kristn is back adn she had a marvelous, well-deserved vacation!!!! And amazing that she's still in ketosis and still under 150#. Good going Kristn!!!! Glad you have today off and don't have to return to work until tomorrow. But best of all is that you had a magical time!!!!! Welcome home to us!
shelley is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #366
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,205
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Hi everyone! I'm back from vacation and I'm going to try and catch up with this thread today!

I think I did pretty well with my eating on the trip. DH and I made our own breakfast everyday and I made sure that it was a nice, fatty one! I didn't measure or weigh, just eyeballed. And while I tried not to eat too much protein, I'm sure I ate more in general than usual.

This morning I got on the scale and I was 149. I measured my ketones and they were .5.

We had a fantastic vacation and it's a bit hard to be back to reality today. Tomorrow will be even harder when I go back to work.

How is everyone else doing?
back!!
And congratulations!
JMCM1 is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #367
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,871
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
The only thing I can figure is that I'm one of those that the Swedish doc/author talks about who doesn't get into ketosis no matter what for up to 6 months!
Did they say what causes it?
------------------------------------
I think some of us have livers that are very "good" about making glucose (gluconeogenesis). It's easier for them to make it from protein, but they can convert fat to glucose, too. Do Fat & Protein Turn Into Glucose? | LIVESTRONG.COM I've been low-carbing for almost 2 years and am fighting & fighting to maintain a 15-20lb weight loss...and I still get high fasting blood glucose, so I'm pretty sure my liver is still doing this. Sometimes it seems that the more I lower my carbs (esp at night), the worse my FBG gets.

I've read that about 5 hours after the last time you eat, your liver will dump glucose...up to 45-65g of it!

The plan that I've been (more or less) following lately is called the "Diabetes Miracle" (she also has an earlier version called the "Metabolism Miracle). You eat every 5 hours (or less) in order to prevent liver dump. Step 1 is very low-carb. In Step 2, you eat 11-20g net carb every 5 hours; she calls this a "carb dam".

So, eating as little as 11g carb could prevent as much as 65g sugar from getting into your bloodstream!

Does the NK plan have any emphasis on when carbs should be eaten, or how they should be divided up throughout the day? Or is mainly about the percentages?

PS: One of the ways in which metformin works is to suppress liver dump/gluconeogenesis.
__________________
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." --Ace Rimmer
"Really, how is eating a piece of cake bad? Being bad is murdering someone.
That's bad. Don't do that." --Sarah Michelle Gellar
****************************************
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 10-16-2012 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: fix quote
piratejenny is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #368
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Did they say what causes it?
------------------------------------
I think some of us have livers that are very "good" about making glucose (gluconeogenesis). It's easier for them to make it from protein, but they can convert fat to glucose, too. Do Fat & Protein Turn Into Glucose? | LIVESTRONG.COM I've been low-carbing for almost 2 years and am fighting & fighting to maintain a 15-20lb weight loss...and I still get high fasting blood glucose, so I'm pretty sure my liver is still doing this. Sometimes it seems that the more I lower my carbs (esp at night), the worse my FBG gets.

I've read that about 5 hours after the last time you eat, your liver will dump glucose...up to 45-65g of it!

The plan that I've been (more or less) following lately is called the "Diabetes Miracle" (she also has an earlier version called the "Metabolism Miracle). You eat every 5 hours (or less) in order to prevent liver dump. Step 1 is very low-carb. In Step 2, you eat 11-20g net carb every 5 hours; she calls this a "carb dam".

So, eating as little as 11g carb could prevent as much as 65g sugar from getting into your bloodstream!

Does the NK plan have any emphasis on when carbs should be eaten, or how they should be divided up throughout the day? Or is mainly about the percentages?

PS: One of the ways in which metformin works is to suppress liver dump/gluconeogenesis.
Interesting....I don't even consume 20 TOTAL carbs (forget net, that is single digits) in a day. Very interesting.....
shelley is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #369
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Thanks for the welcome back everyone! It's great to see everyone and all the new people!!

It's interesting to read people's experiences (and difficulties) of getting into NK. I started eating lower protein (I've been LC for so long that my carb level wasn't much of a change) when I ordered my free meter and was in NK by the time I started testing. I was probably 2-3 weeks in before I started testing. From reading other people's stories it sounds like it was relatively easy for me to get into NK. Not sure why as I was stalled on regular LC for so many years.

Shelley--I'm sorry that it's been such a struggle for you!
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #370
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Does the NK plan have any emphasis on when carbs should be eaten, or how they should be divided up throughout the day? Or is mainly about the percentages?
Hi Jenny,
The Phinney/Volek plan emphasizes finding the right gram level of protein and carbs to get into NK and then filling in with fat until you're satisfied (see links in my siggy line for more information). In Dr. Phinney's latest interview with Jimmy Moore he said that there weren't any good studies about when protein should be eaten, but that he would speculate that dividing it throughout the day is probably best. I tend to split my protein in the morning and evening eating a fatty "lunch" without much protein to keep me going.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #371
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Hi everyone! I'm back from vacation and I'm going to try and catch up with this thread today!

I think I did pretty well with my eating on the trip. DH and I made our own breakfast everyday and I made sure that it was a nice, fatty one! I didn't measure or weigh, just eyeballed. And while I tried not to eat too much protein, I'm sure I ate more in general than usual.

This morning I got on the scale and I was 149. I measured my ketones and they were .5.

We had a fantastic vacation and it's a bit hard to be back to reality today. Tomorrow will be even harder when I go back to work.

How is everyone else doing?
Welcome back Kristn!

I hope you are walking around with a smug smile on your face from doing so well while on vacation!! Great job!

reddarin is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #372
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Hi Jenny,
The Phinney/Volek plan emphasizes finding the right gram level of protein and carbs to get into NK and then filling in with fat until you're satisfied (see links in my siggy line for more information). In Dr. Phinney's latest interview with Jimmy Moore he said that there weren't any good studies about when protein should be eaten, but that he would speculate that dividing it throughout the day is probably best. I tend to split my protein in the morning and evening eating a fatty "lunch" without much protein to keep me going.
Google 'atlcx-24-layman-protein'.

Dr. Layman specializes in protein and there's a lot of what he says that has to be viewed through the lens of a guy that lives and breathes protein molecules but his considered opinion is that it does matter and you should have at least two 45g+ protein meals a day with breakfast being essential.


Last edited by reddarin; 10-16-2012 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: Misstated Dr. Layman's gram requirements.
reddarin is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #373
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,871
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Ok, sounds like "the missing piece" for some people could be to eat that small amount of carbs every 5 hours! (Or enough protein that some of it is converted to glucose, in order to prevent liver dump?)

I know, I know--11-20g net carbs doesn't sound "small" for serious low-carbers!

I didn't want my other post to get monstrously long, but I did have some success with lower morning BGs when I tried using the "carb dams" before bed...that sometimes included an early-morning snack, if I woke up. But I was sort of skipping ahead to Step 2, just to experiment; now I'm on Step 1, which is much lower carb, and is supposed to last 8 weeks.

Cortisol is also engaged when you fast for 5 hours or longer; some people seem to handle it well, for others it causes insomnia, belly fat, etc. I used to scoff at the "eat 5-6 small meals a day" plans...I prefer to eat only twice a day...but the small meals work better for me in many ways.

Last edited by piratejenny; 10-16-2012 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: (Or...)
piratejenny is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #374
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Google 'atlcx-24-layman-protein'.

Dr. Layman specializes in protein and there's a lot of what he says that has to be viewed through the lens of a guy that lives and breathes protein molecules but his considered opinion is that it does matter and you should have at least two 45g+ protein meals a day with breakfast being essential.

I think this is all so individual it's hard to know how much protein an individual needs. And IMHO to make a blanket statement that covers menopausal women and young male athletes alike is kind of silly.

That's actually what I love about using the meter, you can raise and lower your protein to get the individual level that maximizes your protein but keeps you in ketosis. And Phinney/Volek seem to think that you don't need as much protein for muscle repair, etc. when you're in ketosis.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #375
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,909
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I think this is all so individual it's hard to know how much protein an individual needs. And IMHO to make a blanket statement that covers menopausal women and young male athletes alike is kind of silly.

That's actually what I love about using the meter, you can raise and lower your protein to get the individual level that maximizes your protein but keeps you in ketosis. And Phinney/Volek seem to think that you don't need as much protein for muscle repair, etc. when you're in ketosis.
So, what does that mean Kristn, higher protein promotes higher or lower level of ketones? I haven't read both their books
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #376
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,909
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I think this is all so individual it's hard to know how much protein an individual needs. And IMHO to make a blanket statement that covers menopausal women and young male athletes alike is kind of silly.

That's actually what I love about using the meter, you can raise and lower your protein to get the individual level that maximizes your protein but keeps you in ketosis. And Phinney/Volek seem to think that you don't need as much protein for muscle repair, etc. when you're in ketosis.
So, what does that mean Kristn, higher protein promotes higher or lower level of ketones? I haven't read both their books
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #377
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
So, what does that mean Kristn, higher protein promotes higher or lower level of ketones? I haven't read both their books
Higher protein promotes lower ketones through gluconeogenesis.

Once your body is used to running on glucose it will do anything to make glucose (gluconeogenesis) if it has the right ingredients (carbs or protein). You have to force your body to use a different energy pathway (fat through ketosis) by reducing carbs and protein.

Eating higher fat along with lower carbs and protein may also help to prime this energy pathway.

Last edited by mom2zeke; 10-16-2012 at 04:02 PM..
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #378
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I think this is all so individual it's hard to know how much protein an individual needs. And IMHO to make a blanket statement that covers menopausal women and young male athletes alike is kind of silly.

That's actually what I love about using the meter, you can raise and lower your protein to get the individual level that maximizes your protein but keeps you in ketosis. And Phinney/Volek seem to think that you don't need as much protein for muscle repair, etc. when you're in ketosis.
The good Dr. Protein doesn't feel that protein levels are negotiable because he was emphatic lol - [edit: When Jimmy asked he did say that there was no practical upper limit on protein but felt that up to 3g/kg was safe!]

As I said, he lives and breathes protein so he has a heavy bias towards it. But it is a very interesting interview.

Like everything I read and listen to, I critically appraise what's being said and make informed decisions about what to do going forward. As I'm sure we all do.


Last edited by reddarin; 10-16-2012 at 04:41 PM..
reddarin is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #379
Senior LCF Member
 
One maur time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 124
Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Hi everyone! I'm back from vacation and I'm going to try and catch up with this thread today!

I think I did pretty well with my eating on the trip. DH and I made our own breakfast everyday and I made sure that it was a nice, fatty one! I didn't measure or weigh, just eyeballed. And while I tried not to eat too much protein, I'm sure I ate more in general than usual.

This morning I got on the scale and I was 149. I measured my ketones and they were .5.

We had a fantastic vacation and it's a bit hard to be back to reality today. Tomorrow will be even harder when I go back to work.

How is everyone else doing?
Dear Kristn:
Great new photo! Glad to hear that you were successful at enjoying yourselfand not going too far out of bounds!
Maureen
One maur time is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #380
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by One maur time View Post
Dear Kristn:
Great new photo! Glad to hear that you were successful at enjoying yourselfand not going too far out of bounds!
Maureen
Thanks Maureen!
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #381
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Good morning everyone! I'm on my way back to work this morning and feeling a bit jet lagged. Ketones are down this am (.4) and weight is up 1.4 lb. TOM arrived yesterday afternoon so I expect that I'll be bouncing around for a while. I want to get back into pretty strong ketosis so I will be tracking that number pretty closely for a while.

How is everyone else this morning??
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #382
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,909
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Kristn, I know TOM will add to your being so tired from the jet lag and all but what perfect timing

My BS was up a little and my ketones down but I have no idea of why. And, my calories were a little higher than I like yesterday, protein was a little lower than it should have been. But, I am in this for the long term so not worried about that.
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #383
Senior LCF Member
 
dianajlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 72
Gallery: dianajlane
WOE: new to HFLC, but long-time LC-er
Start Date: 10/1/2012
The disheartenation of dieting...

And why I hate the EMB (Evil Metal Box, aka the bathroom scale).

So this morning, I get on the scale and I weigh the same as yesterday.
That was disappointing in itself, as I had been up slightly yesterday, so I had been hoping to have at least returned to Monday's weight.
After weighing myself, I wandered about my apartment for a while, fed some ducks, loaded the dishwasher, etc. Then I realized I was still wearing my watch. So I decided to reweigh myself (like my watch totally weighs 4 oz - Not!) and, you know, give the scale a second chance. And what does the damn thing do? I'm sure you can guess the punchline: up 0.7.

So what do I weigh this morning? Who knows.
I'm afraid to go for the tie-breaker.
I'll probably be up another pound!

So either the scale is an evil beast or I gain weight from breathing (which I've always suspected).

At least my blood ketones were also up: 1.5

Have a great day everyone.
cross-posted from my journal
__________________
DianaJ
The Key to Ketosis: Staying on Plan!
Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...e-feeling.html
dianajlane is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #384
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Kristn, I know TOM will add to your being so tired from the jet lag and all but what perfect timing
You're right, it was perfect timing for TOM, but I'm definitely dragging right now.

Quote:
My BS was up a little and my ketones down but I have no idea of why. And, my calories were a little higher than I like yesterday, protein was a little lower than it should have been. But, I am in this for the long term so not worried about that.
I think following the trend is more important than day-to-day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajlane View Post
And why I hate the EMB (Evil Metal Box, aka the bathroom scale).

So this morning, I get on the scale and I weigh the same as yesterday.
That was disappointing in itself, as I had been up slightly yesterday, so I had been hoping to have at least returned to Monday's weight.
After weighing myself, I wandered about my apartment for a while, fed some ducks, loaded the dishwasher, etc. Then I realized I was still wearing my watch. So I decided to reweigh myself (like my watch totally weighs 4 oz - Not!) and, you know, give the scale a second chance. And what does the damn thing do? I'm sure you can guess the punchline: up 0.7.

So what do I weigh this morning? Who knows.
I'm afraid to go for the tie-breaker.
I'll probably be up another pound!

So either the scale is an evil beast or I gain weight from breathing (which I've always suspected).

At least my blood ketones were also up: 1.5

Have a great day everyone.
cross-posted from my journal
I hate the scale myself, but have come to terms with it. I actually stopped weighing myself over the past few years and just went by how my clothes fit. It was very freeing in a way, but didn't get me any closer to goal. I got back on the scale by promising that I would only follow trends and not worry about any one day up.

I do think that some of these digital scales can give widely fluctuating readings. You might want to take 3 readings and record the average.

Good job on the ketones. I really want to get mine up again. I think I've been eating too much protein at one sitting, so I'm going to try to cut back slightly and eat more fat instead.

It was tough walking into work this morning, but the day just flew by. My boss is out of town at a training so I've been working my way through emails and piles of paper. My large project at work didn't explode while I was gone which is a huge relief.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #385
Senior LCF Member
 
dianajlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 72
Gallery: dianajlane
WOE: new to HFLC, but long-time LC-er
Start Date: 10/1/2012
Learned something interesting about my scale...

I have been using the following scale recently:

Weight Watchers By Conair Ww24w Digital Painted Glass Scale, Painted Glass

I decided to check out the Amazon reviews today because of the weird thing the scale did this morning, where my weight jumped up 0.7 lbs after I removed my watch.

I believe I have found an explanation:
Quote:
The scale "remembers" your previous weight until your weight has changed by 2 or more pounds.
So now I have the explanation: I weighed myself this morning and got yesterday's weight. Then DH weighed himself, and there was more than 2 pounds difference from my weight yesterday, so he got a true reading. Then I weighed myself again (minus the watch), and because my weight is more than two pounds different from his, I got what I guess is my true weight for this morning (so the higher reading was actually true)

But the scale is pretty much worthless for daily tracking of weight loss

Time to get another scale...
It's too bad because I like the look of it and the easy cleanability.
But a scale has to be accurate!

On second thought, I guess I could trick it by weighing myself while holding something that weighs more than two pounds;
then I could really weigh myself and get my true weight. But I'm annoyed that the scale instructions said nothing about this "feature".
I should probably send in a complaint to the manufacturer.

I am pleased to have found an explanation though.

Last edited by dianajlane; 10-17-2012 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: add more info
dianajlane is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #386
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajlane View Post
I have been using the following scale recently:

Weight Watchers By Conair Ww24w Digital Painted Glass Scale, Painted Glass

I decided to check out the Amazon reviews today because of the weird thing the scale did this morning, where my weight jumped up 0.7 lbs after I removed my watch.

I believe I have found an explanation:


So now I have the explanation: I weighed myself this morning and got yesterday's weight. Then DH weighed himself, and there was more than 2 pounds difference from my weight yesterday, so he got a true reading. Then I weighed myself again (minus the watch), and because my weight is more than two pounds different from his, I got what I guess is my true weight for this morning (so the higher reading was actually true)

But the scale is pretty much worthless for daily tracking of weight loss

Time to get another scale...
It's too bad because I like the look of it and the easy cleanability.
But a scale has to be accurate!
That's crazy! You definitely need a new scale.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #387
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,871
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I just get on the scale with a 3- or 5lb weight, or my cat (lol), step off, put it down, then step back on again.

I always thought it was a "quirk" of my scale, but I'm actually happy to hear that it's normal, cuz I felt a little not-right-in-the-head getting on & off my scale so often!

So...maybe you could just keep a dumbbell or something near the scale, instead of buying a new one?
piratejenny is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #388
Senior LCF Member
 
dianajlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 72
Gallery: dianajlane
WOE: new to HFLC, but long-time LC-er
Start Date: 10/1/2012
Good idea!

Yeah Jenny,

It took me a few minutes to think of that
And I will definitely start doing that tomorrow -
after all, I can't be asking DH to jump on every day between weighings.

Thanks
dianajlane is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #389
Senior LCF Member
 
SouthernGirl61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Welcome back Kristn. Your pic is beautiful! And you held your numbers! I am getting caught up after a few days. You are dead on with that on "statement covering p-m women and young men"....since 50, the stall and lower metabolism hit me between the eyes. I was quite smug about eating liberally -- until 49 and 364 days.....!
Yea, no TOM on vacation!

PJ, you have a good post, interesting. I have a friend with Fatty Liver and she is miserable trying to lose weight. Told her about this NK, and she is slowly moving this way, and losing weight now. VLC messed her up first; her doc put her on 80% grains/oatmeal junk.
I eat my carbs throughout the day, protein twice a day I think, if I get hungry I eat pure fat, that shuts it down ASAP. I have never felt so in control as with this NK. Hunger would get me, even eating way to much protein.

Red - Dr Protein sounds like an interesting, intense person. Hummmm.

Hi Maureen!

Hi Diana and PJ! Kill the scale! I have one from BBB, it's pretty good, digital, It's Health-O-Meter. One day I ran up to private surgery assessment room (pre-op) locked the door; got main clothes off, and weighed first thing at work, within 1 hour of rising at home. They were within .75 of each other. Risky adventure, but DH has been on LC and was thinking his doc office was better than home...much to his dismay. What we do for love.
SouthernGirl61 is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #390
Senior LCF Member
 
One maur time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 124
Gallery: One maur time
WOE: Atkins, lchf, nk
Start Date: 01/15/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Welcome back Kristn. Your pic is beautiful! And you held your numbers! I am getting caught up after a few days. You are dead on with that on "statement covering p-m women and young men"....since 50, the stall and lower metabolism hit me between the eyes. I was quite smug about eating liberally -- until 49 and 364 days.....!
Yea, no TOM on vacation!

PJ, you have a good post, interesting. I have a friend with Fatty Liver and she is miserable trying to lose weight. Told her about this NK, and she is slowly moving this way, and losing weight now. VLC messed her up first; her doc put her on 80% grains/oatmeal junk.
I eat my carbs throughout the day, protein twice a day I think, if I get hungry I eat pure fat, that shuts it down ASAP. I have never felt so in control as with this NK. Hunger would get me, even eating way to much protein.

Red - Dr Protein sounds like an interesting, intense person. Hummmm.

Hi Maureen!

Hi Diana and PJ! Kill the scale! I have one from BBB, it's pretty good, digital, It's Health-O-Meter. One day I ran up to private surgery assessment room (pre-op) locked the door; got main clothes off, and weighed first thing at work, within 1 hour of rising at home. They were within .75 of each other. Risky adventure, but DH has been on LC and was thinking his doc office was better than home...much to his dismay. What we o for love.
Dear Southern Girl:
That is a funny story about the scale investigation. My luck I would've gotten caught and had some explaining to do. I actually try to only weigh myself on Sunday mornings- I also take some measurements to offset the fickle/obessive nature of the scale.

I have been struggling to get any real traction with the Ketones. I can get to .5 and if I'm super strict a .7- I don't know if that qualifies as ketosis. I have been following this WOE since early September and have faithfully tested ketones and glucose. I definitely see a correlation with lower Ketones and a heavy protein ladden meal the evening prior ( I test in a fasting state first thing in the AM).

I struggle with fat later in the day- In the mornings I have my own version of a fat bomb ( 2 Tbs of kerrygold butter with coconut cream in Chai Tea) preceded by 2 Tbs of Coconut oil diluted in warm water. Then maybe a strip or two of bacon maybe 1/2 avocado. As you might imagine I don't typically eat for 8-10 hours. But when I do I am starving.

I am thinking of incorporating Pirate Jenny's suggestion of spreading the carbs more evenly during the day to see if I have either cortisol stress from the lengthy fast or glucose dumping when I don't have an even stream of carbs and a large meal heavy on protein.

I would love any suggestions of fat consumption beyond the fat bombs. I find it difficult to get the fat later in the day other then consuming protein or butter on vegetables.

Maureen
One maur time is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:44 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.