Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #301
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I see it falls to me to point out that most zombie apocalypses start with a flu shot.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #302
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
I see it falls to me to point out that most zombie apocalypses start with a flu shot.
A couple of years ago they actually filmed a zombie movie in the little town in Iowa where I grew up, hmmmmm
Old 10-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SouthernGirl61
WOE: MP/MtoHF/LC all the time
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning!

Can you have 2 bouts of induction flu? I have not been feeling great this week and it feels just like how I felt when I first came back to LC. Headaches, backaches, very very tired. Or, I am just fighting off a bug.

Haven't had my flu shot yet, does that work against induction flu?
Now, that is funny!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:46 AM   #304
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
A couple of years ago they actually filmed a zombie movie in the little town in Iowa where I grew up, hmmmmm
Man it'd be awesome to be an extra on a zombie movie!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #305
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I see that Jimmy Moore has updated his blog on the subject of n=1 nutritional ketosis. His experiment seems to be working very well for him with a 50lb loss in 5 months.

Do you all think his success is strictly ketosis or do you think it may have to do with calories, or even the large breakfast (this could be described as leptin reset minus the huge protein component) or the length of time between meals (could be described as I.F.) or perhaps the supplement combined with ketosis is a contributing factor?
Old 10-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #306
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JoeEO
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I see that Jimmy Moore has updated his blog on the subject of n=1 nutritional ketosis. His experiment seems to be working very well for him with a 50lb loss in 5 months.

Do you all think his success is strictly ketosis or do you think it may have to do with calories, or even the large breakfast (this could be described as leptin reset minus the huge protein component) or the length of time between meals (could be described as I.F.) or perhaps the supplement combined with ketosis is a contributing factor?
I think it is all of the above...
1) Jimmy is a big guy...he is 6'3" and appears to have a pretty large frame...he is going have a higher basal metabolism just laying around.

2) In regard to intermittent fasting - it is not clear from his updates if this is by design or is a side effect of him being in ketosis. My personal experience is that skipping breakfast is the key to this woe. I was just starving for most of the day until I stopped eating breakfast (just having some bullet-proof coffee)

3) I found it very interesting that his weight loss stopped when he started exercising. I am slowly reading "why we get fat" by Taubes and I recall a couple of references in the book about how exercise slows weight loss.

4) In his most recent update he claimed that he was eating 75-80g grams of protein. Now for a 6'3" guy that seems to me to be a very small amount of protein.

5) Not clear about the supplements - I think he has mentioned that he takes berberine.

Peace

Joe E O
Old 10-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #307
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeEO View Post
I think it is all of the above...
1) Jimmy is a big guy...he is 6'3" and appears to have a pretty large frame...he is going have a higher basal metabolism just laying around.

2) In regard to intermittent fasting - it is not clear from his updates if this is by design or is a side effect of him being in ketosis. My personal experience is that skipping breakfast is the key to this woe. I was just starving for most of the day until I stopped eating breakfast (just having some bullet-proof coffee)

3) I found it very interesting that his weight loss stopped when he started exercising. I am slowly reading "why we get fat" by Taubes and I recall a couple of references in the book about how exercise slows weight loss.

4) In his most recent update he claimed that he was eating 75-80g grams of protein. Now for a 6'3" guy that seems to me to be a very small amount of protein.

5) Not clear about the supplements - I think he has mentioned that he takes berberine.

Peace

Joe E O
I agree with you

And, WOW, that does seem low for a 75" guy. I am somehow cheered by the news though because estimating the correct protein range approaches voodoo metric levels. I know JM is very knowledgeable about LC and well read on how he is approaching NK. Anyway, it is comforting to me concerning my protein levels being 72" tall.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #308
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I agree with you

And, WOW, that does seem low for a 75" guy. I am somehow cheered by the news though because estimating the correct protein range approaches voodoo metric levels. I know JM is very knowledgeable about LC and well read on how he is approaching NK. Anyway, it is comforting to me concerning my protein levels being 72" tall.
Morning, note from a girl....my DH is 6"5, medium frame...he recently went LC in Feb, lost 35 lbs, now is 201. I checked the "charts" he is in the range; I think he consumes about 120-130g protein, he has given up wheat/grains, exception of twigs cereal once or twice a week.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #309
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl61 View Post
Morning, note from a girl....my DH is 6"5, medium frame...he recently went LC in Feb, lost 35 lbs, now is 201. I checked the "charts" he is in the range; I think he consumes about 120-130g protein, he has given up wheat/grains, exception of twigs cereal once or twice a week.
'Standard' LC is very effective at weight loss there is no doubt about that and millions of success stories to prove it

Really, there is not much of a need to lower protein unless you stall. Then a program like NK can come into play. Sort of a super charged LC.

In my opinion, most LC'rs gravitate to a high protein, low carb, moderate fat macro regimen because it is a very natural evolution of induction. Depending on how damaged their metabolism is that might be all they need to lose all the weight they want and maintain forever.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #310
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
'Standard' LC is very effective at weight loss there is no doubt about that and millions of success stories to prove it

Really, there is not much of a need to lower protein unless you stall. Then a program like NK can come into play. Sort of a super charged LC.

In my opinion, most LC'rs gravitate to a high protein, low carb, moderate fat macro regimen because it is a very natural evolution of induction. Depending on how damaged their metabolism is that might be all they need to lose all the weight they want and maintain forever.
Note from a girl again....it was just too darned easy for him!!! But he was a skinny most of his life, former athelete, got the belly thing, then after 50, it all hit. Women struggle more in this, or maybe do we care more???
Old 10-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #311
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Note from a girl again....it was just too darned easy for him!!! But he was a skinny most of his life, former athelete, got the belly thing, then after 50, it all hit. Women struggle more in this, or maybe do we care more???
Yes.

And yes.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #312
Blabbermouth!!!

Weight is hormonally controlled and for better or worse you ladies have a lot more going on with hormones than men do.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #313
Senior LCF Member

Red, you got that right...just cross one of us when those things are flying! Jethro you in a heartbeat!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #314
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Red, you got that right...just cross one of us when those things are flying! Jethro you in a heartbeat!
Beverly Hillbillies FTW! lol

That was such a great show
Old 10-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #315
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dianajlane
WOE: new to HFLC, but long-time LC-er
Start Date: 10/1/2012
Alcohol in moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
True - [alcohol is] definitely not an aid to weight loss!
Yes, but perhaps an aid to relaxing and enjoying life

I just want to make sure that it doesn't kick me out of ketosis,
which would SO not be worth it.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #316
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok, I posted this over on our other NK thread but wanted to repost it here in case I am missing something that someone else might see who can help me out.

My BK test this moring read 0.2!!! It has not been that low since I very first got my meter at about 1 1/2 weeks into LC. I was shocked and sad! And, I can't for the life of me figure out what happened.

Yesterday I had tilapia, fried in ghee, no breading of course. 2 T of Kefir cheese, 1 Carb in that. 4 oz of boiled chicken, 1 cup of the broth off of said chicken. 1 1/2 slice of Barbo's onion rye bread that I made myself so know every ingredient that went into it, the total carbs on that was 3. Also, some butter and HWC and 2 diet root beers. I had one diet root beer at DD's house and looked to make sure it was diet, I have texted her to double check that, but I did look. What on earth pulled me out of my usual over 1 reading? My BG was 96 this morning which is 10-15 points higher than usual too.

I was around my DGS whom I love dearly , would I have ingested enough sweetness from him to raise that? Just joking of course.

I don't know, I am confused. The 2 new things I ate were the kefir cheese and the bread which I made, so I will try those 2 things again, separately and see if I react to either of them again, but I am stumped.

Only almond flour in the bread, no grains.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #317
Chatty Cathy

How much fish? It is pretty high in protein no matter.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #318
Big Yapper!!!!

6 oz tilapia, 4 oz chicken, my total protein for the day was 64, at the low end of my range.

The only new things were the rye bread, which I made, and the kefir cheese. I will get back into the ketone zone and then test each of these items again, one at a time. Otherwise, I am stumped.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #319
Chatty Cathy

Buffy the only other thing that comes to mind is hormones. I do think that this is often overlooked because it is poorly understood. I think you approach is sound and because I love it so, I hope it does not turn out to be something about the rye bread!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #320
Big Yapper!!!!

I know Cathy, I love that bread and it adds so much to our WOE. I am not going to worry about it, as long as I get back into ketosis soon, and, may recheck here in a little while, maybe the reading was just off or something.

I am 66, so hormones shouldn't be it, I have barely any, LOL, and had no stress yesterday, no different meds, it is a puzzle.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #321
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh my word, I just retested my BK and it is 1.1, where it should be for what I ate yesterday, etc. Guessing the other was just a error reading. I am about to get one of the precision ones to test against this one.

I now we don't have to test but I just like keeping records, etc.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #322
Chatty Cathy

Yaaa! Just an outlier or mechanical failure!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #323
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Oh my word, I just retested my BK and it is 1.1, where it should be for what I ate yesterday, etc. Guessing the other was just a error reading. I am about to get one of the precision ones to test against this one.

I now we don't have to test but I just like keeping records, etc.
I was about to chime in vouching for Barbo's onion/rye bread because as you know, I made it too and am still in ketosis (only 0.9, but still not hungry, so I'm good with that). I eat a little of that bread every day since making it.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Beverly Hillbillies FTW! lol

That was such a great show
oh yes! it was. NCIS Jethro too! Love them both!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #325
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
oh yes! it was. NCIS Jethro too! Love them both!
Um. Having been the victim on numerous occasions it is a lot more akin to Granny whipping Jethro all around the mansion than Gibbs with the occasional reality check.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I've been following NK fairly strict for a little over 3 weeks now. I haven't really changed my calorie intake, just the nutrient ratios and pretty much consistently hit that 80/15/5 ratio or am fairly close to it (on my DDs). At first I lost 2 lbs right away, which I assumed was just release of water weight, and was fine with it if it didn't go any lower since I'm at maintenance. Since then though, I've gone back up to maintenance levels and gained 4lbs over that.

Also, appetite suppression was good the first 7-10 days or so, but now I'm finding myself hungry a lot. It's unrelated to TOM either, since I keep close track of that. Not sure what is up except that my body may not not like that high of a fat% even if I love eating this way, so I'm gonna lower the fat % and go back to my general lower carb JUDDD for a while to see if things improve and if I can drop those extra pounds.

I'm glad I gave NK a try though. It was great for informational purposes and I learned a lot from you all about changing up nutrient ratios and also more about my body. I may revisit NK again in the future.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #327
Blabbermouth!!!

Well that is interesting.

Are there any other JUDDD's trying NK and what have your results been?

My guess would be that on DDs you'd have to do strictly protein requirements and then the balance of calories in non-PUFA fat with as close to zero carbs as possible.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #328
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Well that is interesting.

Are there any other JUDDD's trying NK and what have your results been?

My guess would be that on DDs you'd have to do strictly protein requirements and then the balance of calories in non-PUFA fat with as close to zero carbs as possible.
I pretty much maintained on JUDDD and moving to regular Atkins caused weight gain for me. If your body has gotten used to lower calories on any plan, then you really have to raise calories slowly and carefully not to gain weight (for those of us with slowish and stallish style metabolisms).

NK can be done at ANY calorie level...and I have to move it lower in order to have any weight loss. And I have to take frequent breaks higher (normal) calories in order not to get runaway hunger. In fact, it's been almost 5 weeks since my birthday and ready to take a maintenance break. I actually haven't had bad hunger yet, but don't want to court trouble.

Unfortunately, still over my pre-August numbers.
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
Old 10-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
I pretty much maintained on JUDDD and moving to regular Atkins caused weight gain for me. If your body has gotten used to lower calories on any plan, then you really have to raise calories slowly and carefully not to gain weight (for those of us with slowish and stallish style metabolisms).

NK can be done at ANY calorie level...and I have to move it lower in order to have any weight loss. And I have to take frequent breaks higher (normal) calories in order not to get runaway hunger. In fact, it's been almost 5 weeks since my birthday and ready to take a maintenance break. I actually haven't had bad hunger yet, but don't want to court trouble.

Unfortunately, still over my pre-August numbers.
I was still doing JUDDD at the same time as NK, along with the same DD and UD calories, so I didn't change my caloric intake at all from what I was doing on JUDDD. I also eat very clean and usually cook everything myself and I'm very diligent about trying to keep PUFAs out of my diet. The only thing that changed was my nutrient ratio. So I think it had to be the much higher fat ratio that somehow didn't agree with me.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #330
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
I was still doing JUDDD at the same time as NK, along with the same DD and UD calories, so I didn't change my caloric intake at all from what I was doing on JUDDD. I also eat very clean and usually cook everything myself and I'm very diligent about trying to keep PUFAs out of my diet. The only thing that changed was my nutrient ratio. So I think it had to be the much higher fat ratio that somehow didn't agree with me.
There's no doubt we are all different with different metabolisms. Hope you find the optimal ratios to get you where you are going! And thanks for sharing the info with us!
Closed Thread