Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Kids4me View Post
And I need to watch for over-restricting since that has set me up for binging in the past.
Good point! Another good reason for not going below 1200 calories.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
Alright. Did some menu planning for the week and weighed my options. I'm going to cut out the extra snacks I've occasionally added and stick with three planned meals.

My protein is really easy to keep around 70g, I think that'll be fine. But I'm trying to drop my calories closer to 1400 rather than 1600 and that means my fat % is about 65%. Is that too low do you all think? It's still over 100 g. of fat a day. I'm in ketosis now, not trying to get there. Ketone readings have been very strong the past 10 days. I'm unlikely to leave ketosis if I drop my fat percentage as long as carbs and protein stay pretty reasonable, right?

I'll try three days with the new percentage and test ketones on Wednesday evening or Thursday morning. See where I'm at.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #243
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Shelley posted earlier about MCT oil in coffee. Here is what she said:

"Also, I use MCT oil AND HWC in my one cup of coffee in the morning. But Phinney/Volek do NOT like the use of MCT oil...have to do more research to find out why."

I'm curious if there is any other info on this. Just yesterday I decided to add coconut oil to my coffee . Isn't coconut oil considered a MCT? Anyone know why Phinney/Volek don't like it?

I'm long time stalled and lost below my stall weight last week. While I am happy about that, I'm not sure yet that I've actually won this battle. Eventhough I don't have a meter, I've been trying to apply the principles of NK and think it has helped me.

Thanks for any info.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:22 AM   #244
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Alright. Did some menu planning for the week and weighed my options. I'm going to cut out the extra snacks I've occasionally added and stick with three planned meals.

My protein is really easy to keep around 70g, I think that'll be fine. But I'm trying to drop my calories closer to 1400 rather than 1600 and that means my fat % is about 65%. Is that too low do you all think? It's still over 100 g. of fat a day. I'm in ketosis now, not trying to get there. Ketone readings have been very strong the past 10 days. I'm unlikely to leave ketosis if I drop my fat percentage as long as carbs and protein stay pretty reasonable, right?
I think the range starts at 65% and you probably don't want to go much lower than that but it is more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule. Especially since you are doing blood tests with the meter and you know your ketone level any given day.

Quote:
I'll try three days with the new percentage and test ketones on Wednesday evening or Thursday morning. See where I'm at.
Perfect! Every individual is unique. You are doing it exactly right finding the right macros that work for your body. I'd just keep in mind that this week may be a little out of whack for you body-wise.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:40 AM   #245
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
She actually isn't. Our bodies go into starvation mode when it realizes it doesn't have enough calories stored by way of our body fat.

We're still putting some food in every day, and our bodies know we have plenty of calories (energy) stored to get us through the winter, lol. Most of us will never have to worry about starvation mode because our body fat will never be extremely low.

Starvation Mode – Why You Probably Never Need to Worry About It
True, it is very unlikely that any of us will experience the clinical definition of starvation mode.

It is interesting that the article, and the mp3 it was based on, noted that the soldiers were eating at an average of a 1,200 calorie deficit.

And it took less than 8 weeks to get to the clinically defined state.

Am I mistaken or did all three say that it is impossible to lose lean body mass with more than x% of body fat? That seems to contradict what Phinney, Kwasniewski, Eades, et. al. have said.

No mention of the macro make up of the diet either. I looked for the study they based their podcast on but apparently you have to send off for it. They said the soldiers were 5'9" (average I guess), which is about 70g of protein a day to protect LBM - only about 300 protein calories.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #246
Blabbermouth!!!

Continuing the starvation theme as related to LC, Dr. Eades has an interesting blog post about it.

Google 'Eades blog ketones-and-ketosis/metabolism-and-ketosis' and it should be the second link.

Quote:
So, bearing in mind that carb restriction and starvation are opposite ends of the same stick and that what applies to one applies to the other, let’s look at how it all works. I’ll explain it from a starvation perspective, but all the mechanisms work the same for a carb-restricted diet.

During starvation the primary goal of the metabolic system is to provide enough glucose to the brain and other tissues (the red blood cells, certain kidney cells, and others) that absolutely require glucose to function. Which makes sense if you think about it. You’re a Paleolithic man or woman, you’re starving, you’ve got to find food, you need a brain, red blood cells, etc. to do it. You’ve got to be alert, quick on your feet, and not focused on how hungry you are.

If you’re not eating or if you’re on a low-carbohydrate diet, where does this glucose come from?

If you’re starving, glucose comes mainly from one place, and that is from the body’s protein reservoir: muscle. A little can come from stored fat, but not from the fatty acids themselves. Although glucose can be converted to fat, the reaction can’t go the other way. Fat is stored as a triglyceride, which is three fatty acids hooked on to a glycerol molecule. The glycerol molecule is a three-carbon structure that, when freed from the attached fatty acids, can combine with another glycerol molecule to make glucose. Thus a starving person can get a little glucose from the fat that is released from the fat cells, but not nearly enough. The lion’s share has to come from muscle that breaks down into amino acids, several of which can be converted by the liver into glucose. (There are a few other minor sources of glucose conversion: the Cori cycle, for example, but these are not major sources, so we’ll leave them for another, more technical, discussion.)
He goes on to say that about 200 grams of sugar are needed and while starving that means about 1/2 pound of muscle tissue a day. Sadly, he doesn't give the daily protein gram equivalent. I assume that the LBM minimum protein grams we are using equate to that?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #247
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Good morning everyone!

I didn't track again yesterday because we ate dinner at our friends' house.

Too many ribs, a few glasses of wine, and a lot of coleslaw later:
Weight: 151.6 (up 2 lb!), ketones: .6, Fasting BG: 102

This is the lowest ketone reading I've seen and highest fasting BG. Definitely too many carbs and too much protein at one sitting.

I'm still not that hungry, so I ate a smaller breakfast this morning. We'll see how the day goes with hunger. Sometimes I see a dip in hunger after a day when I eat more than usual. Regardless, I plan to get right back on track with my eating. Hopefully I'll see some better numbers tomorrow morning.

How is everyone else doing??
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #248
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
Right Kristin, you've been there done that...its just excess carbs and fun. Just get back to normal scheduling...you are fine (hugs)
Old 09-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I think this is a great plan. I don't think 65% is too low if you're still in ketosis. That's what I love about having the meter, you can test and see if this ratio works for you!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #250
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
Kristin, I'm down another pound which is 7 lbs since doing this NK stuff which is just over a week. I was just doing low carb with more like 50 per day and not counting calories. I feel pretty good. I tried the coconut oil in my coffee this morning. I didn't care too much for it. I also have evaluated the calories in HWC vs. half and half vs. the coconut cream. I think I will stick with half and half and coconut cream and use the coconut oil in cooking. Seems like I still need a breakfast even while adding all those fat calories to my coffee. Anyway, have a great day everyone!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zay View Post
Kristin, I'm down another pound which is 7 lbs since doing this NK stuff which is just over a week. I was just doing low carb with more like 50 per day and not counting calories. I feel pretty good. I tried the coconut oil in my coffee this morning. I didn't care too much for it. I also have evaluated the calories in HWC vs. half and half vs. the coconut cream. I think I will stick with half and half and coconut cream and use the coconut oil in cooking. Seems like I still need a breakfast even while adding all those fat calories to my coffee. Anyway, have a great day everyone!
Woo hoo! Congrats on your loss!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
I'm down 1.8 this morning.

I still don't have the meter and not sure how much I will test when I get it. My budget is very limited for that type of thing. Maybe it will come this week.

Going to go get my coffee and plan my menu for today. Will post that on the menu thread.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #253
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Flavia
Stats: lose 50lbs
Morning all

Congrats to all the losers!!!!!! WOOT
Old 09-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom_2_4
Stats: 298/210/150ish
WOE: Atkins for the first 100 lbs now doing NK
Start Date: August 2006
Good morning to everyone! I glanced at the new posts quickly as i got to my office this morning. Monday are insane for me!
I had another one pound loss!! I was fluctuating at 218-220, now I am at 212.4 and that's even with TOM being here! Woohoo!
Yesterday my intake was
Calories:1546
Carbs:11.8
Fat:138.3
Protein:52.9

Y'all have a great day, I'll check in later when I'm caught up at work!

Last edited by mom_2_4; 09-17-2012 at 07:12 AM..
Old 09-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #255
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
Well maybe nothing was broken after all.

I'm down .5 lb this morning and a few .5 in. here and there on my measuring tape. That was after calories were UP last night, protein too. I was close to 2000 cal. yesterday and protein over 80 g.

Of course, fasting BG was 112, I hope TOM is the explanation for that or just the weird low carb thing in the morning? Too much caffeine later in the day? I don't eat past 6 pm or so....

Still going to try and keep calories a bit lower this week and see if I can speed things up just a bit.

--Jamie
Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceymichelle
Stats: 150/127/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 12
Is a blood glucose monitoring sys the same as blood ketones sys? Thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Lurker, popping in to maybe save a few of you some money. I noticed CVS has the Nova Max Ketone strips on sale for just under 19.00 a box today and there's a 24 hour coupon code that will get an additional 30% off (only for today I believe)... if you go ahead and order 4 boxes at the sale price with the 30% discount code, you get it just above the 49.00 mark which then gives free shipping, too..... boils down to 40 strips for right around 55.00 , shipped free.

Hopefully that helps a few of you.

Coupon code is: EXCLUSIVE30
Old 09-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #258
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
laceymichelle my blood ketone monitor will also measure blood glucose. It depends on the strips you buy for it.
I only have blood ketone strips so it will not measure my blood sugar.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #259
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaP View Post
Lurker, popping in to maybe save a few of you some money. I noticed CVS has the Nova Max Ketone strips on sale for just under 19.00 a box today and there's a 24 hour coupon code that will get an additional 30% off (only for today I believe)... if you go ahead and order 4 boxes at the sale price with the 30% discount code, you get it just above the 49.00 mark which then gives free shipping, too..... boils down to 40 strips for right around 55.00 , shipped free.

Ella, where do you see the 30% off coupon code?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Ella, where do you see the 30% off coupon code?
It came in an email (found it in my spam). Hopefully it will work for anyone.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It came in an email (found it in my spam). Hopefully it will work for anyone.
Even if the discount doesn't work, that's the best price I've found so far.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #262
Big Yapper!!!!

Week 3 is here and DD is joining me, which makes it all the more fun. I think she will do very well on it.

After 2 weeks of it working well and liking the way I feel and the results I am getting, I got brave and decided to post my weekly weights in my signature. The first week, honeymoon stage, I had a huge loss and then this week almost a lb, which is where I would be happy to settle in at, a lb a week and being able to eat to satisfaction and feel good is fine with me. Hey, would love to lose 3-4 lbs a week and show me that plan where I will feel like this and I will jump ship in an instant, but alas, don't think that plan is out there.

Congrats to all you losers and keep up the good work and keep posting, we can and do really help each other out here.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #263
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Even if the discount doesn't work, that's the best price I've found so far.
Thanks Ella, will check my spam, LOL. And you are right, that is a great price!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much Ella! What a great deal! I almost missed the coupon code in your post.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #265
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Thanks so much Ella! What a great deal! I almost missed the coupon code in your post.

Just ordered and it worked, great offer, thank you soooo much Ella. BTW, when placing your order and after you enter your code, don't forget to hit apply!!! Very important, as I did forget, but after calling customer service, they credited my account, whew!! Thank you Ella again
Old 09-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #266
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

Duh, unlike Kristn, I didn't even see it in your first post, was so excited to run over and order them,
Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Week 3 is here and DD is joining me, which makes it all the more fun. I think she will do very well on it.

After 2 weeks of it working well and liking the way I feel and the results I am getting, I got brave and decided to post my weekly weights in my signature. The first week, honeymoon stage, I had a huge loss and then this week almost a lb, which is where I would be happy to settle in at, a lb a week and being able to eat to satisfaction and feel good is fine with me. Hey, would love to lose 3-4 lbs a week and show me that plan where I will feel like this and I will jump ship in an instant, but alas, don't think that plan is out there.

Congrats to all you losers and keep up the good work and keep posting, we can and do really help each other out here.
Congrats on your loss Buffy!!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Duh, unlike Kristn, I didn't even see it in your first post, was so excited to run over and order them,
Me too, I almost missed the code myself! I am down to 14 strips and I've been wondering if I was going to order them again. This bargain was enough to get me to order. Now I'm wondering if I should have ordered more!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just ordered and it worked, great offer, thank you soooo much Ella. BTW, when placing your order and after you enter your code, don't forget to hit apply!!! Very important, as I did forget, but after calling customer service, they credited my account, whew!! Thank you Ella again
You are very welcome. I'm glad it worked for you. They are just too expensive for me and coming across that today made it possible for me to order some. Now I'll wait for my machine to arrive
Old 09-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #270
Big Yapper!!!!

I ordered 4 boxes.
Closed Thread