Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #181
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I think this is a great starting point, but would be too much fat and carbs for me to lose. Protein is spot on.

Thanks for posting this information Buffy!
Absolutely Kristn, all of these are starting points to get you on the right track. Then we each have to adjust calories and fats to find our sweet spot. Thanks Kristn for pointing that out.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
hi all I have started a thread for collecting some good recipes for this WOE
HighFat/MP/LC Or Ketogenic/NK recipes,pics and menu ideas

So we newbies can get an idea.and post some pics too.Thanks.
I will be posting this in other threads that I know of too.Be sure to pass it around.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post15948018
Old 09-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
ok someone pointed it out to me.
There is already one thread on this.Pls ignore.
I apologize.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #184
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
I didn't track yesterday as I ate out and have no idea exactly what was in my food. I did keep protein under control and had lots of fat. This morning ketones were 2.5, BG 81, weight 149.6 (down .6). I've been slowly losing my TOM weight for the past 3 days.

Tonight we'll be having smoked ribs at our friends' house. My goal is not to eat too many ribs. I already asked about the rub--no sugar! I also asked them not to put sauce on my portion. We'll bring a big salad so it should work out okay as long as I don't go overboard on the ribs.

This thread is jumping!!! It's great to see everyone's success so far!
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Here is one formula to figure daily needs:

The formula created by Dr. Jan Kwasniewski, is:

Height in cm +/-10% = Protein Grams [ I use the -10% number]
Fat grams = P*2.5
Carb grams = P*.5

This is the one Reddarin uses and he is having great success.
Isn't this actually - height in cm - 100 = protein grams ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Ok, I THINK I may have finally figured this out, but I'm having a horrible time coming up with real meals.

Yesterday's menu:
B-coffee w/4tbsp.HWC, 2tbsp.CO
L-6oz.salmon cooked in CO w/butter, 1cup broccoli w/1/4cup cheese and 1tbsp.butter
S-coffee w/4tbsp.HWC 2tbsp/CO(I didn't drink all of this one though)
S-1/3cup mac. nuts
S-two CC clouds

I felt like I just snacked all day long. I really like to have regular meals, but because I have to keep my protein so low I'm finding it very hard. Also, I can't drink coffee like this daily because I have interstitial cystititis and my bladder is on fire today. How can I get my fat in without the coffee?
Today I am going to make some creamed spinach to try and get my fat in.
Yesterday my weight was 232.5, today is was 229.8 so I know this is what I need to do. I am just at a loss with my menu.
I posted a little while back about adding CO to warm almond milk. Can you have almond milk? It's really yummy. What about tea? I personally don't like coconut flavor to my coffee or tea, so I got some oil called MCT. I found it at Natural Grocer and I am sure Whole Foods or Sprouts has it too. But they had it over by the protein powders/nutritional supplements area. Anyways, it's really a good option for an oil to add to a beverage without adding any flavor. So I add it to my coffee or tea.

Find a recipe for fat bombs and try that as Buffy suggested. I didn't care for my first attempt as much (butter/coconut oil/peanut butter) but my second attempt was awesome - co oil, dark chocolate, almond butter, unsw shred coconut.

I had a little NSV yesterday. We went for a drive to a cute little town to enjoy the first pretty cool day. There is a famous restaurant there - famous for pie. I happily sat there with a cup of coffee while my family had pie and I didn't even want to lick the fork much less have a bite. Seriously, not tempted at all. My kids couldn't believe it, but my loss of 23.4 so far is VERY motivating to me! I really think there is something to the fat triggering satiety that changes something in your brain. It's not just the lack of ravenous cravings driving you to scrounge through the pantry - that's gone - but also the ability to face the temptation full on and be okay with saying no. Not to say that if it was a big basket of chips and salsa at a mexican place I would be so strong. I don't know if I am ready to face that yet, so I avoid it.

BTW, made that pumpkin shake last night. Ohh. Emm. Geee. That was so good!

It's POURING rain here () so we are enjoying a quiet day at home. Hope you all have a blessed day!

6/22/13 restart of NK
Old 09-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlyjo View Post
Yes!!! I totally missed that--good catch. I went back and edited my response.

Last edited by mom2zeke; 09-16-2012 at 09:23 AM..
Old 09-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
Quote:
Jamie--I've had a few days this month with high (for me-in the 90s) am fasted BG. I think mine was due to stress and TOM. As my stress has abated and TOM has left the building my am BG has gone back to normal.

I don't have much experience in this area, but I would try to see if there's a pattern (food, stress, etc.) and adjust accordingly (if possible).
TOM! That could be it. I'm a couple days out from Day 1, but definitely a bit bloated and up on scale. I can't think of anything particularly stressful. But I hadn't considered that TOM might impact that at all.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
If you are not diabetic, this is likely what is known as physiological insulin resistance and is something that appears to happen to long term low carbers. It is discussed at some length over at Hyperlipid and else where. The important thing is that it is normal. It will be of great interest to me (and likely lots of others) what happens to your b.g. as you continue with NK woe.

Jimmy Moore has posted his results after months of NK and his b.g. levels appear to have 'normalized' over time. One note - he is taking a supplement that is geared toward lowering b.g..
Thanks Cathy, for that added info.

I did notice that JM's BG looked like it dropped and stabilized after a couple of months.

I'm not diabetic, but it would not surprise me if I was close to it when I first started losing weight. I was probably borderline with gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy 4 years ago as well. So...I tell myself I was almost there and need to act as though it could come back if I regain.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #189
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

!
Yes, yes, yes. This formula is correct, I didn't put in the -100. Thank you. Wish I could go edit that old post
Old 09-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Find a recipe for fat bombs and try that as Buffy suggested. I didn't care for my first attempt as much (butter/coconut oil/peanut butter) but my second attempt was awesome - co oil, dark chocolate, almond butter, unsw shred coconut.
For those new to fat bombs I suggest trying either Hershey's dark cocoa powder, or a really high-end cocoa powder (currently I'm using Scharffen Berger) in your fat bombs. I love the dark chocolate flavor!

Quote:
I had a little NSV yesterday. We went for a drive to a cute little town to enjoy the first pretty cool day. There is a famous restaurant there - famous for pie. I happily sat there with a cup of coffee while my family had pie and I didn't even want to lick the fork much less have a bite. Seriously, not tempted at all. My kids couldn't believe it, but my loss of 23.4 so far is VERY motivating to me! I really think there is something to the fat triggering satiety that changes something in your brain. It's not just the lack of ravenous cravings driving you to scrounge through the pantry - that's gone - but also the ability to face the temptation full on and be okay with saying no. Not to say that if it was a big basket of chips and salsa at a mexican place I would be so strong. I don't know if I am ready to face that yet, so I avoid it.
Woo hoo! That feeling is so great. I was at Mexican last night and didn't even take one look at the chips--it can happen.

Quote:
It's POURING rain here () so we are enjoying a quiet day at home. Hope you all have a blessed day!
LOL-I'm grateful for no rain on the horizon. We are enjoying one of our best summers in memory in the PNW. It's gorgeous and in the 70s. The last few years the summers have been gray and cool. This one is lasting well into September and I'm loving it!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes. This formula is correct, I didn't put in the -100. Thank you. Wish I could go edit that old post
You can ask Dottie to edit it for you. My (edited) responses will then look silly, but I don't care.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #192
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Yes, here is the text from his blog entry of day 91-120...

Quote:
I started taking a blood glucose stabilizing supplement called Glycosolve 2-3 times a day which I am sure is contributing to these rockin’ blood sugar numbers
I have no idea what it is although I am sure it would be easy enough to find out.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #193
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Cathy, I will look it up.

Kristn, this thread is movin so fast that I am sure people will either see the corrections on down or just think I am looney.

WTG Amlyjo on resisting pie! Woo, one of my fav desserts.

I am wanting to slow bake a brisket with all that delish fat on it but they are so high this year, used to be the cheap meat!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I wonder if it would be useful to start a NK 'what are you eating?' thread for those that are searching for daily menus?
Great idea! Here's the thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-low-carb.html

Last edited by mom2zeke; 09-16-2012 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: Add URL
Old 09-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #195
Big Yapper!!!!

Kristn, Reddarin had the posts corrected, so we are all good!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #196
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
That is a great idea
Old 09-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
If you are not diabetic, this is likely what is known as physiological insulin resistance and is something that appears to happen to long term low carbers. It is discussed at some length over at Hyperlipid and else where. The important thing is that it is normal. It will be of great interest to me (and likely lots of others) what happens to your b.g. as you continue with NK woe.

Jimmy Moore has posted his results after months of NK and his b.g. levels appear to have 'normalized' over time. One note - he is taking a supplement that is geared toward lowering b.g..
Thank you for this!!!! I have been from 92 to 106 in my 8 days of taking readings. That, to me, is a huge swing. My ketones are also "all over the place" (from .4 to 1.3) eating pretty much the same foods/exercise, etc., and testing at 8 AM before breakfast (I'm retired).

I appreciate this post. I am not diabetic, but have been hovering around 99-105 for the last few years on fasting glucose at my physical and the docs say it's "just fine" until I reach 120+.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #198
Senior LCF Member

OK...today is my weekly measure, weigh day. Every Sunday morning. Weight for the week is down .6# (I weigh daily and add all 7 days and divide by 7 to get an accurate "average"). Measurements were pretty close, but a few were down by 1/8 and 1/4". I'll take it!

I will post my foods on the new daily food thread for the newbies to see another persons intake.

Buffy, great synopsis...Amy, hooray on the change of brain thought and not having pie (I hope it was you!)

For those doing the fat bombs. Almond (milk, flour, butter) makes me crave carbs so I bought some sunflower seed butter and it's awesome. Peanuts are a legume and low on the Atkins ladder so I don't use it at all. Next batch will be using my own homemade macadamia nut butter. But I make mine 1/2 size (1 TBSP instead of 2) and one is just right for me. Also, I use MCT oil AND HWC in my one cup of coffee in the morning. But Phinney/Volek do NOT like the use of MCT oil...have to do more research to find out why.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flavia
Stats: lose 50lbs
Congrats Shelley!!!! Ur working it!!!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #200
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenurse View Post
Question to those who have been doing this awhile, does the pattern of weight loss any different than with Atkins? I used to have a fast 10# loss with lowcarb, then kind of bounce up and down with a gradual loss.
This high fat plan seems to work a little different, but I feel good most days. Really nice not to be hungry all the time.
I have had a lot less bouncing around on this plan than I've had on Atkins (or post hcg P3 phase). Except for a minor .2 or 1 pound up due to ovulation or TOM, it's been MUCH more rock steady same weights day after day with the occasional loss. That makes a lot of sense to me because I was obviously eating too much protein on some days and actually gaining fat weight some days trying to maintain with atkins. Not doing that now with the lower protein amounts. I'm definitely feeling less need for constant snacking.
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
Old 09-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3rmanchik View Post
Congrats Shelley!!!! Ur working it!!!!!
Thanks Christina....was nervous this AM as did another "test" with 1 cup of romaine lettuce *and* 1/2 cup of green beans, but the readings were okay. Thought of you as I did it! ha ha

Nitenurse....you asked about how I feel doing this vs Atkins. I have been essentially doing Atkins Induction for over a year....stalled the entire time and very frustrated. On this eating plan, lowering my protein by 25-50% or more and raising my fat quite a bit, I find I am not hungry. I don't crave a snack or something in my mouth. And the feeling I get is not a "whoosh" of weightloss at all, but a really steady number on the scale...this week, all 7 weights were within .8 of the high/low. That's pretty amazing. But the trend did go DOWN which is good. I have energy and the best thing is feeling that there is "more room" inside my body...like the fat is going away from around my organs or something...not in my skin...it feels "empty" inside and I'm feeling my abs from the inside when I walk. Hard to explain. My skin is no longer dry, but my mouth is so I drink more water which is good! And my body temp has risen as others have mentioned. And, when walking or doing window washing (yesterday) I was actually sweating! I never sweat before!!!! So, I"m releasing toxins from my body, finally!!!!!! Sounds silly, but I've always envied those that exercise and sweat!!!! I'm loving this!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #202
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
OK...today is my weekly measure, weigh day. Every Sunday morning. Weight for the week is down .6# (I weigh daily and add all 7 days and divide by 7 to get an accurate "average"). Measurements were pretty close, but a few were down by 1/8 and 1/4". I'll take it!

I will post my foods on the new daily food thread for the newbies to see another persons intake.

Buffy, great synopsis...Amy, hooray on the change of brain thought and not having pie (I hope it was you!)

For those doing the fat bombs. Almond (milk, flour, butter) makes me crave carbs so I bought some sunflower seed butter and it's awesome. Peanuts are a legume and low on the Atkins ladder so I don't use it at all. Next batch will be using my own homemade macadamia nut butter. But I make mine 1/2 size (1 TBSP instead of 2) and one is just right for me. Also, I use MCT oil AND HWC in my one cup of coffee in the morning. But Phinney/Volek do NOT like the use of MCT oil...have to do more research to find out why.
WTG. I will try the mac butter in fat bombs as well and I like the idea of the smaller ones, b/c I just pop one in my mouth and let it sloooowwwlly melt, but I bought a mold that makes the 2 T ones. Wonder if they have one that makes 48??? Will be a lookin
Old 09-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #203
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Thanks Christina....was nervous this AM as did another "test" with 1 cup of romaine lettuce *and* 1/2 cup of green beans, but the readings were okay. Thought of you as I did it! ha ha

Nitenurse....you asked about how I feel doing this vs Atkins. I have been essentially doing Atkins Induction for over a year....stalled the entire time and very frustrated. On this eating plan, lowering my protein by 25-50% or more and raising my fat quite a bit, I find I am not hungry. I don't crave a snack or something in my mouth. And the feeling I get is not a "whoosh" of weightloss at all, but a really steady number on the scale...this week, all 7 weights were within .8 of the high/low. That's pretty amazing. But the trend did go DOWN which is good. I have energy and the best thing is feeling that there is "more room" inside my body...like the fat is going away from around my organs or something...not in my skin...it feels "empty" inside and I'm feeling my abs from the inside when I walk. Hard to explain. My skin is no longer dry, but my mouth is so I drink more water which is good! And my body temp has risen as others have mentioned. And, when walking or doing window washing (yesterday) I was actually sweating! I never sweat before!!!! So, I"m releasing toxins from my body, finally!!!!!! Sounds silly, but I've always envied those that exercise and sweat!!!! I'm loving this!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
WTG. I will try the mac butter in fat bombs as well and I like the idea of the smaller ones, b/c I just pop one in my mouth and let it sloooowwwlly melt, but I bought a mold that makes the 2 T ones. Wonder if they have one that makes 48??? Will be a lookin
Buffy....I went to the "Wilton" cake/candy decorating section with a 40% off coupon and got their little packet of white candy wrappers that look like majorly miniature little cupcake liners. There are enough for at least a years worth! It made a perfect 38...well, I guess I might have licked the bowl and the spoon worth another one or so! ha ha I put them on a tray in the freezer until frozen, and then popped the little things into a freezer ziplock bag and take one out when I want one (they stay in the freezer, but not in a tray). They are fun to "peel" back and eat! :-)
Old 09-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #205
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Buffy....I went to the "Wilton" cake/candy decorating section with a 40% off coupon and got their little packet of white candy wrappers that look like majorly miniature little cupcake liners. There are enough for at least a years worth! It made a perfect 38...well, I guess I might have licked the bowl and the spoon worth another one or so! ha ha I put them on a tray in the freezer until frozen, and then popped the little things into a freezer ziplock bag and take one out when I want one (they stay in the freezer, but not in a tray). They are fun to "peel" back and eat! :-)
I do have those Shelley! Thanks!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #206
Big Yapper!!!!

Uh, DUH, I just realized I could just put 1 T in each section of my mold as well, LOL!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #207
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Uh, DUH, I just realized I could just put 1 T in each section of my mold as well, LOL!
lol
Old 09-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by laceymichelle View Post
You all have been very thankful as I learn about NK....thank u I have a question about my menu today.
B coffee w hwc. 2 HB eggs 1TB mayo
L 3 1-2 oz ground beef w onion and 2TB sour cream
Ok that puts my numbers at:
Prot 46, carbs 6, fat 69

My total #protein should only be at 60 (I'm even trying to aim for only 50-55g). So with that said what do u suggest my having for dinner? Or should I have fat only for breakfast and no eggs? Thanks so much!!!
Hi Michelle,

I will often just eat hard boiled egg yolks, so I get the fat and avoid most of the protein.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Also, I use MCT oil AND HWC in my one cup of coffee in the morning. But Phinney/Volek do NOT like the use of MCT oil...have to do more research to find out why.
OH! I must have missed this. Will you post what you find?

Quote:
That's what I did, used those little wrappers. I also like that because they are little, I get two, and somehow that is good for the soul.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #210
Senior LCF Member

I'm wondering if I should be losing faster. I'm still around 190 lbs (dropped to 188.4 as a low for the week, but up a bit today with TOM impending). I'm consistently at 1500-1600 calories, less than 20 carbs, in good ketosis (3+), and exercising 3+ times a week. It *seem* like I should be losing faster than I am. I guess technically I lost over 2 lbs this week. I guess I just thought it would be faster if I nailed nutritional ketosis and kept calories in a good range.

Not planning to change anything, just need more patience I suppose. I'm happy with my food and energy.

--Jamie
Closed Thread