Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #91
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
it's the social life that's a killer!
I have found that if you get a pellet rifle and take occasional pock shots at the neighborhood kids the invitations dry up. Screaming incoherently and waving your arms around speeds the process.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_2_4 View Post
Even eating just LC that was hard to do many many times because other people tend to eat a lot of junk for some reason ?!?!
Fortunately, for my diet, we are too busy with four kids to have much of a social life LOL
It's true about the junk! These friends tend more towards the low-fat end. We've gone over and had chicken breast and salad with low-fat dressing. Not technically off-plan, but also not very satisfying. They're smoking ribs so that should be okay as long as they leave the sauce off of mine and I don't eat too many.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I have found that if you get a pellet rifle and take occasional pock shots at the neighborhood kids the invitations dry up. Screaming incoherently and waving your arms around speeds the process.
Now there's a thought.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
My husband and I used to eat out everyday but now I don't cause the food is not what I eat any more,we live in a hillbilly town in Va.they eat lots of pinto beans and corn bread here.resturant just open a can of veg..yuk. So I just cook at home?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #95
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I have seen y'all mention these fat bombs
It is a really good idea to have some quick stuff pre-made and in the fridge/freezer/cupboard for days like that when you are whipped. Like bake up a huge batch of bacon and have it in the freezer. 2 or 3 slices before bed can do wonders for your numbers and doesn't require a lot of thinking about. Fat bombs. Whatever.

You want both fatty protein, like the bacon, and pure fat type ready to eat in a jiffy.

Doing it ahead and knowing what it is makes it real easy to throw onto the food log later too.

Quote:
I've also started taking fish oil supplements. The girl at GNC said I need 3000mg per day, what are y'all taking?
I take Sam's Club Simpy Right brand and it is 600mg. I only take one a day but I may up that. Fish oil is very good for you.

I also take the Omega Red Krill Oil once a day. It is 300mg.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #96
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
pinto beans and corn bread
Gosh. I grew up on beans and cornbread. Man that is good stuff. A little ketchup in the bowl of beans and some hot buttered corn bread. mmmm.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
I don't care for them but when I ate them I put chow chow in them..
Old 09-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I take Sam's Club Simpy Right brand and it is 600mg. I only take one a day but I may up that. Fish oil is very good for you.

I've actually backed off on the fish oil. We try to eat wild salmon at least 1 or 2 times a week (easy for us in the PNW). If I was eating a lot of omega 6 I would probably do the fish oil thing. But I avoid it like the plague so I'm less worried about balancing with omega 3.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom_2_4
Stats: 298/210/150ish
WOE: Atkins for the first 100 lbs now doing NK
Start Date: August 2006
Quote:
It is a really good idea to have some quick stuff pre-made and in the fridge/freezer/cupboard for days like that when you are whipped. Like bake up a huge batch of bacon and have it in the freezer. 2 or 3 slices before bed can do wonders for your numbers and doesn't require a lot of thinking about. Fat bombs. Whatever.

You want both fatty protein, like the bacon, and pure fat type ready to eat in a jiffy.

Doing it ahead and knowing what it is makes it real easy to throw onto the food log later too.

Yes ma'am I as already thinking along those lines, got some turkey bacon out and about to cook it. Is turkey bacon okay. If incookmregular bacon my family will eat it all, they think turkey bacon is yucky but I like it pretty good

According to the girl at GNC there was a study done on omega3 and that 3,000 mg is optimal in order to obtain all of the benefits of using fish oils. Supposedly there was a study done where a guy was given that daily dosage and
Lost 60-70 pounds in a year and changed nothing else. I'll have to ask her what the study was exactly cause I don't recall what the name was. she seemed pretty knowledgeable I was also reading online about the RDD and 3000 is on the high end but still acceptable. No clue, this is all new to me I'm used to taking a multi vitamin and a b-12!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #100
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Yes ma'am I as already thinking along those lines, got some turkey bacon out and about to cook it. Is turkey bacon okay. If incookmregular bacon my family will eat it all, they think turkey bacon is yucky but I like it pretty good

According to the girl at GNC there was a study done on omega3 and that 3,000 mg is optimal in order to obtain all of the benefits of using fish oils. Supposedly there was a study done where a guy was given that daily dosage and
Lost 60-70 pounds in a year and changed nothing else. I'll have to ask her what the study was exactly cause I don't recall what the name was. she seemed pretty knowledgeable I was also reading online about the RDD and 3000 is on the high end but still acceptable. No clue, this is all new to me I'm used to taking a multi vitamin and a b-12!
I think there is only 4 of us guys in this thread but I'm one of them

Yes, turkey bacon is fine. It is a great way to tweak your protein without adding a lot of fat like regular bacon.

Especially for people like you and me who have a lot of fat with our coffee. That is one reason I tend to eat boneless skinless chicken breast because it gives me some added flexibility on the macros.

I'd be suspicious of the various studies that people quote for stuff. Even the most well meaning folks, like that young lady, will be mislead by other well meaning people. I've had a lot of personal experience debating people on non-diet topics that use studies to back up outlandish claims and when I research the studies they are invariably terrible science. The sample group is very small, the demographics are bizarre, the study isn't clinical (which is a very expensive way to do a study), the study may be sound but the conclusions are out of whack, the results of the study are being misrepresented and contradict the published results, etc. Anyway, they can be interesting and enlightening but take them with a grain of salt.

=)
Old 09-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #101
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa82 View Post
Really lost on what to eat... ideas please!
I think it will really help each other if we post our daily menu, we all need ideas.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It's going to be higher in protein and lower in fat than regular bacon. As long as you account for that it should be fine.

Quote:
I would ask for more information on this study. The latest meta analysis on fish oil supplementation concluded that it didn't make a difference in cardiovascular disease (although people who regularly ate fish had a lower rate). I'll stick with the fish.

Probably if someone is eating a lot of omega 6 (like most Americans) supplementing with omega 3 has benefits. YMMV.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #103
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
As a huge coconut milk convert I agree! I've never tried the beverage but I took one look at the ingredients and didn't want to go any further as the real deal coconut milk is fantastic.

You can buy actual coconut milk in cartons, but there are only a few brands. We buy the Aroy-D brand at our local Asian market (there is another brand that they have that is more expensive and I am forgetting the name). We switched over to their coconut cream (which is just a higher percentage of coconut to water) last year and we love it!

Also be careful of the preservatives in canned coconut milk. Many of the brands have sodium metabisulfite which may not bother you, but I had a bad reaction and if you're sensitive to sulfites you will want to avoid it. Some also have guar gum added as a stabilizer which doesn't seem like an issue to me. The Aroy-D I mentioned above is just coconut and water. They have a canned version without any additives also.

Can you tell I've spent a lot of time looking at coconut milk. It's a staple in our household and we're lucky to have a market nearby that carries a dizzying array of choices.
There is a huge Asian market nearby, I will check it out. Reddarin, it is in Carrollton.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #104
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
There is a huge Asian market nearby, I will check it out. Reddarin, it is in Carrollton.
I know there's a place over in Ft. Worth that has a lot of Asian markets. I'll go by there next time I'm in the area. I don't make it out to your area too often Buffy.

Just so ya know, Irving has a huge, really really huge, Asian community. Mostly Korean.

Watch out for Irving's money grubbing red light revenue generating cameras though.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #105
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Old 09-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I think it will really help each other if we post our daily menu, we all need ideas.
Also, Rebecca Latham posts her menus on her blog along with recipes if folks are interested.

When I was losing I regularly ate:

B: Coffee with coconut cream (1/4 cup split between 2 cups of coffee), 2 eggs cooked in 1/2 tbs coconut oil, 1 ounce each of sour cream and salsa
L: 2 ounces of cream cheese & 1 fat bomb
S: Coffee w/ coconut cream (1/4 cup split between 2 cups of coffee)
D: 4-6 ounces of meat (depending on protein/fat ratio) and large salad w/ olive oil & vinegar or roasted non-starchy vegetables.

In maintenance I have increased my protein and carbs slightly, and have added more fat.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #107
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
The latest meta analysis on fish oil supplementation concluded that it didn't make a difference in cardiovascular disease (although people who regularly ate fish had a lower rate). I'll stick with the fish.
What is the latest information about mercury in fish? Has it actually become a reduced risk or was it always overblown? Like, if you eat 75 pounds a day in 20 years you'll get a cold?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I know there's a place over in Ft. Worth that has a lot of Asian markets. I'll go by there next time I'm in the area. I don't make it out to your area too often Buffy.

Just so ya know, Irving has a huge, really really huge, Asian community. Mostly Korean.

Watch out for Irving's money grubbing red light revenue generating cameras though.
A strictly Korean market may not have coconut milk. It's usually in the Thai section along with the curry pastes, etc.

On vacation one year we went looking for coconut milk at an Asian market we found that turned out to be Korean only. No coconut milk at all, but we got the best (and spiciest) homemade kimchee!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #109
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

I will play it safe and run over to Carrollton today.

Wonder what else I should look for at an asian market??? Hmmm
Old 09-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
What is the latest information about mercury in fish? Has it actually become a reduced risk or was it always overblown? Like, if you eat 75 pounds a day in 20 years you'll get a cold?
This is what the EPA says:
Quote:
By following these three recommendations for selecting and eating fish or shellfish, women and young children will receive the benefits of eating fish and shellfish and be confident that they have reduced their exposure to the harmful effects of mercury.
  • Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.
  • Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.
  • Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.
  • Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.
  • Check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas. If no advice is available, eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) per week of fish you catch from local waters, but don't consume any other fish during that week.

Follow these same recommendations when feeding fish and shellfish to your young child, but serve smaller portions.
We normally eat wild Alaskan salmon which is a low-mercury fish.

Last edited by mom2zeke; 09-15-2012 at 09:09 AM..
Old 09-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #111
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
I think fish oil is a great idea for anyone who's been on the SAD for awhile. I used it the entire first year I went lowcarb and found it helpful. I'm sure my body was saturated with all the wrong fats. I still give it or cod liver oil to my kids since they eat plenty of white bread, school food, and other things I don't endorse! Hard to counteract the USDA food pyramid drivel they are inundated at school.

Now I don't need it, just include plenty of fatty fish - generally in bursts rather than regularly.

Anyone in the Dallas area I highly recommend visiting your closest Fiesta. In addition to Mexican items like pourable sour cream, chorizo, and other goodies you can find interesting Asian items there. The produce is fabulous and cheaper than any typical market. The seafood department is hands down better than anyone else. Picked up wild caught coho salmon there for 5.99 a pound and stocked up for 3 months earlier this year.
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
Old 09-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #112
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I will play it safe and run over to Carrollton today.

Wonder what else I should look for at an asian market??? Hmmm
It is a pretty safe shopping experience for me. The smelly nature of those markets keeps my time in the store to a minimum
Old 09-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
I think fish oil is a great idea for anyone who's been on the SAD for awhile. I used it the entire first year I went lowcarb and found it helpful. I'm sure my body was saturated with all the wrong fats. I still give it or cod liver oil to my kids since they eat plenty of white bread, school food, and other things I don't endorse! Hard to counteract the USDA food pyramid drivel they are inundated at school.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #114
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
This is what the EPA says:

We normally eat wild Alaskan salmon which is a low-mercury fish.
Thanks =)

Man, a few months ago I was grilling a lot and got hooked on grilled shrimp. Awful good stuff.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #115
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

Now I don't need it, just include plenty of fatty fish - generally in bursts rather than regularly.

Anyone in the Dallas area I highly recommend visiting your closest Fiesta. In addition to Mexican items like pourable sour cream, chorizo, and other goodies you can find interesting Asian items there. The produce is fabulous and cheaper than any typical market. The seafood department is hands down better than anyone else. Picked up wild caught coho salmon there for 5.99 a pound and stocked up for 3 months earlier this year.
Paula, I didn't even know we had Fiesta here in the Dallas area, have seen one in Austin I think. Will check it out.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #116
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Congrats on the loss today Paula =)

I never have been in a Fiesta but we use their ads for price matching at Wal-Mart. I'll have to check them out next time I see one.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #117
Big Yapper!!!!

Had the highest AM ketone reading since I started checking on Thursday. 1.0

Going up just a little each morning!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #118
Blabbermouth!!!

If you go into a Korean market try the dried squid.

It is salty and very much an acquired taste but if you like fish you might like it. I haven't had it in years and years. Goes good with beer though.

Oh. Don't be a newb. Peel the skin off the piece you break off before you eat it. =)
Old 09-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Had the highest AM ketone reading since I started checking on Thursday. 1.0

Going up just a little each morning!
Woo hoo Buffy!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #120
Big Yapper!!!!

DD buys wonderful salmon at Whole Foods that she grills, bet the Fiesta prices would be a Whole lot better!
Closed Thread