Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #811
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Clackley thanks so much I will try this!
I should have added that the addition of a tbsp of whey will increase the shelf life quite a bit. You can use yogurt, sour cream or even cream cheese whey. Hope it works out well for you.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #812
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
RE: Mayo

I think it takes a little experimentation to find the right combo of oil(s) and acid for your palate. I found that I liked mine really lemony and didn't care for vinegar. At first I really wanted to recreate the Best Foods (Hellman's) flavor, but it was seemingly impossible. After a few tries I realized that I could make something different that I liked just as much. The oil is super important because most of the flavor is the oil. I had some macadamia nut oil that I thought would be great but I hated it when I made mayo with it.

And using a immersion blender makes the whole thing a lot easier.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #813
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/22/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
But, here's the fun part (especially for Mike to consider). I was gone all day yesterday so took with me 2 "protein shakes" in a shaker bottle. EAch one had 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1/4 cup of 40% HWC (organic), and ice cubes. I added 1/2 scoop of my whey protein powder which would give me 12 grams of protein....some "pumpkin pie spice" and a splash of SF DaVinci's cinnamon. ie.., YUM. Because I was gone, I didn't have my usual 8-14 cups of water intake...only had about 2-3 cups!! Yikes. the second shake also had (lunch) 1 TBSP of MCT oil.

My readings this morning were the weight was down the .6# I had gained the day before. My fasting BG was 97 and my ketones were the highest ever... 1.5!!!!! So, now I"m wondering about 2 things. #1 being so many say to NOT use protein powder as it stalls you and the other is water intake. Could the water be diluting my readings (giving them low in ketones?)
Thanks for posting this. I recently started lifting again and have brought back the protein shakes on post workout mornings as an experiment. I'm one week into this. I have had maybe 4 shakes total and I am still in ketosis. I haven't been tracking my food as closely as I was a few weeks ago. I am going to keep with this program for a week or two, see if my measurements change in any way, and then make adjustments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Whey protein is known to be insulinogenic, meaning that it "produce. promoting the production and release of insulin by the islets of Langerhans in the pancreas." I believe what is unclear is whether it is the actual whey or the fact that it is rapidly digested.

In my personal experience, and before I realized the why, I found that it made me hungry in a very similiar way that eating a piece of whole wheat toast used to.
That is VERY interesting clackley - I had never heard that before. Do you know if cassien protein is insulinogenic as well? I usually use cassien protein, primarily because it is slow digesting and so my unscientific logic assumes that it will keep my hunger at bay longer. I do sometimes have a whey shake but it is fairly rare. I notice that I am usually hungrier after eating the whey - maybe that's what's happening to me too.

My new lifting program is Power of 10. Has anyone else tried this? It is a slow lifting program so it is very non-traditional (for me at least). I am only one week in so we will see how it goes. I would love for this to work as the workouts are insanely short and the slow motions are supposed to reduce the risk of injury.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #814
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsjuliekelly
Stats: 263/163/133
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 11/2001 NK 9/2013
Introducing myself and and my short time with NK

Hi all!! I have been reading this thread for a few weeks. It is very fun and interesting. I never dreamed I would have enjoyed reading about blood testing ketones as much as I do

I lost 100 pounds about 12 years ago using Atkinds diet. Fast forward to now and have tried different versions of low carb many times to reduce that number on the scale.

Last summer I was able to use the Dukan diet to lose about 25 pounds. Now I am interested in trying the NK approach. I have been attempting it for about 2 weeks or so. So far no weight loss but I am holding steady. Here are my macros for today.

1,352 calories

16 carbs

116 fat

61 protein

I am 5'3" and currently weigh 163. I have been bouncing anywhere from 164 to 162 over the last three weeks.

I have read and listenend to SOOOOO much about NK and lchf over the last few weeks. It is very exciting and informative.

When I lost weight last on Atkins I had no idea about LCHF. I am sure I was eating double the amount of protein that I am trying for now that I am shooting for NK. I am not testing with strips of any kind. I got rather obsessive with the urine strips when I used LC 12 years ago, so I haven't even bought any this time around.

I have tried so many different diets, but what really seems to work for me is LC. I come back to it time and time again. I feel like I am finally accepting that this is the correct way of eating for me. It seems that focusing on upping the fat content is really keeping me satisfied. This time I am not craving the carbs like I did before. I assume the no carb cravings are attributed to the higher fat. It seems like I finally realize that this is what is going to work for me. I used to feel deprived when everyone else was having carbs. Not really affecting me that way anymore.

I know that those things are not healthy for me and I am happy that I have been able to find a diet that will work. Even though I really haven't lost any weight since starting NK, I do believe in the science of why it works. So I am going to keep on trucking. I will figure this out.

Thanks for shairng your own personal journeys with this. It is nice to see how others are doing on this. It is so encouraging to see your progress.

Thanks for reading my LONG intro. Glad to be subscribed here.

Julie
Old 09-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #815
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
October Thread is up!

Hi everyone!
I have started a new NK thread for October: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...l#post15982217.

Please start posting on the new thread, I'm going to ask the mods to close this one.

See you on the new thread!
Closed Thread