Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #781
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pot Pie View Post
So I'm done eating for today, my first day of NK, and I did pretty well I think. 65g protein, 17 grams carbs, about 1600 calories altogether. I definitely don't feel as full as I normally would if I ate lots of protein so I think I am in for a few days of cravings.

I bought an artichoke to cook for lunch tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the butter!
Artichokes are my favorite vegetable!

Congrats on your first day of NK! I think your numbers look great. And you're right to give yourself some time to adjust to the lowered protein.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #782
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pantograph
Stats: 222/178.8/170
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Feb 2010 (Paleo)
Shelley commented about disconcerting fasting blood glucose readings. I think this is fairly common on lower carb diets and from what I've read, it isn't of great concern.

My morning BG gets up to 108 on occasion, so I've been poking my fingers at random times to see what's up. A week ago, I tested at bedtime and it was 87. The next morning it was 102.

A few days ago it was 101 both arising and at bedtime and 94 the next morning.

Friday, I was up early for jury duty and it was 99 at 5 am (with only 4 hours sleep). Friday night, I fell asleep on the couch watching the tube and awoke at 3:30 am. So I tested my BG before I crawled into bed and it was 84 (normal, per Dr. Bernstein).

It's hard to see any pattern to this, but at least it gets to normal levels some of the time, so I'm not totally broken.

Keep clam, Terry
Old 09-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #783
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post

I jumped off the wagon for a few months to check it all out and found the fasting b/g dropped to normal within days(120 to 84). Even with a high carb meal, the 1 and 2 hr b/g didn't rise to 100. After 3 months, my A1c dropped from 5.6 to 4.3. The high morning b/g was driving up my A1c too.

Within 2 days of vlc, the f/g was right back to the 100's.

I was doing everything right too. I tested before each meal and 1 and 2 hours post. I also tested first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I never did get up at 2 am and check, but would have liked to.
Wow...what you wrote about your experience sounds like what my charts & graphs are finding for my body. The days that I don't have any veggie/salad carbs at all (only carbs being in bacon/eggs), my glucose reading is high. And, the same thing after "fat fasts". Higher than "normal" glucose readings. So, I couldn't figure out why when I did not have "any" carbs, the glucose readings were so high, but if I had a salad or small amt of veggies the glucose came down the next AM. Makes no sense, but it's nice to know that it has happened to someone else as well. Thank you for telling me the above!

Quote:
Shelly, what were your %'s like before starting NK and for how long?
I was doing pretty darned strict Atkins induction. I just kept gaining weight. I was told to do 1600-1800 calories...65-75 fat, under 20 grams of carb and the rest fat. Now I'm doing much closer to 1200-1400 calories, 80% fat, under 15 carb and the rest fat...being about 120 grams of fat. When I did the "proper macros" we're mostly using....I was to be 58-67 grams of protein, 150 fat and 30 carbs. When I did that, I gained and gained.

Prior to that (2 years ago) I tried to do my best at BFL (Body for Life) and eating nonfat and exercising like a mad woman (I'm 64) at the gym. 3 days a week of heavy weights, 2 hard Pilates workouts and one day of HIIT. I went from 160 to 140 pretty darned fast. Was down in size 8's (from 12-14) and sometimes the 8's would be large. Then I was told that was not a healthy way to eat (nonfat) and I was doing too much exercise for my age. So, I went into Atkins Induction. I never could add any carbs without weight gain...but the sad part is that I gained all 20# back very easily doing Atkins induction. (nutritionist said I cheated with some pecans, or some super low carb ice cream, etc., and the worst was a bacon that said it didn't have sugar, but apparently was mislabeled and caused a quick gain).

So, here I am. Walking 5 miles a day (not speed walking) to keep cortisol levels in good shape. Next week I was planning to return to weight lifting, knowing that with the VLC and high fat that I would probably retain water bigtime in my little puny muscles. But I feel I need weights at my age (osteopenia for last 20 years)

I felt great at 140# and size 6-8 (nonfat/BFL), but I didn't feel "well" or healthy. Changing to NK eating has me feeling energetic, happy and like I'm shrinking from within...someones description of the "glacial timeframe" of weightloss is right on for me. I've lost maybe 1-1.5# this entire month on NK and being in ketosis every day. My ketones are low, but they are *in* NK range above .5, but still low compared to everyone else. I'm eating plenty of the good fats.

So....the low carb way of eating, and higher fat has me feeling healthier, but not losing weight or inches....and apparently having my glucose all over the map!

The BLF plan of eating HIGH protein and nonfat had me MUCH thinner, but I didn't feel "healthy". I'm finishing up my first month on NK and was already in NK the day my meter arrived, so I've been "in the range" for over a month.

I am concerned about my fasting glucose though as it has been hovering at 99 to 107 for several years on annual physicals. And I had my Ha1c test done at my April Physical (at my request) and it was 5.8 (range 4-6) which is high. Doc said it was great and fasting glucose under 120 is just fine. I don't want to be a type II diabetic and am trying to do whatever it takes to "not go there". I don't agree with the doc and won't go back to her.

My "history" is that of being a ballet dancer and then a dance teacher. I've always been 20-30# underweight (ie., skinny), so this is really bugging me to be overweight. My eating habits used to be nonfat, no red meat, lots of fat free stuff and fruit. Not many veggies/salads, etc. I guess I"m lucky that I was never keen on things like chocolate or food in general. I could exist I'm sure on 1% cottage cheese and fruit, and carrot/apple juice galore!

So....got any ideas now? Too much information probably.

I've been to 2 different nutritionists...one of the nonfat school, and one of the Atkins induction school of thought. I lost on the nonfat way, not on Atkins. And here I am on NK and testing my blood......and feeling happy, but not feeling like I'm making any progress.

Please let me know more about your study on yourself and how you might be able to help me stay healthy and reduce my glucose readings (and weight too!!!)

We can take this off the forum if you want...I think we can private message? But I think others are always interested reading about others...I know I am very interested in reading what others are doing..what works, etc. But it's frustrating for me to not see results and working so hard at this. Tomorrow is measure day for body parts. Will be interesting.

Those of you reading and losing, please let me know if this is "off topic" and/or you want me to stop posting here.

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #784
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pot Pie
Stats: 221.6/173.4/125
Start Date: LC: 2010 NK: September 29 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantograph View Post
Welcome to the thread, Pot Pie.

Your mention of mayo and miracle whip brought to mind Dr. Phinney's comments that his bike racers on NK in the metabolic ward found they just could not eat mayo or anything with high omega-6 oils after a few days into ketosis. There is a lot of other info around condemning industrial seed oils (soybean, cottonseed, safflower, sunflower, corn, canola, etc.) as unhealthy and probably part of the cause of our current obesity epidemic, but it was interesting that the bike racers found them so sickening in a short time. I guess it shows how smart the body can be about what to eat (or not) under the right conditions.

Naturally, it was the registered dieticians associated with Phinney's study that thought that these oils were healthy!

I was looking for mayo with olive oil at the local (supposedly) healthy food market this week, but all they had was full of disgusting junk high omega-6 oils (and all labeled as Heart Healthy). In a few years, you'll probably see lots of class action law suits against the purveyors of this dreck when the conventional wisdom finally shifts and people learn that this was part of what gave them metabolic syndrome.

Keep clam, Terry
I did buy mayonnaise with olive oil but now that I look at it the first ingredient is still soybean oil. I definitely am aware of the risks of soy so maybe I should suck it up and make my own mayo though I have been resistant to the idea in the past. The miracle whip I don't put much in but I used to like using it for the zip it adds. It does have more sugar. In the past I didn't put horseradish in my chicken salads though so I could probably just trash it. I keep lard and butter in the house too and coconut oil, although I use the coconut oil for sweet stuff similar to the fat bombs.

At least with egg and tuna salad I like just mayo. Don't like just chicken and mayo for some reason though.

I do take fish oil every day too so hopefully that offsets some of the 6's. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #785
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Wow...what you wrote about your experience sounds like what my charts & graphs are finding for my body. The days that I don't have any veggie/salad carbs at all (only carbs being in bacon/eggs), my glucose reading is high. And, the same thing after "fat fasts". Higher than "normal" glucose readings. So, I couldn't figure out why when I did not have "any" carbs, the glucose readings were so high, but if I had a salad or small amt of veggies the glucose came down the next AM. Makes no sense, but it's nice to know that it has happened to someone else as well. Thank you for telling me the above!

I was doing pretty darned strict Atkins induction. I just kept gaining weight. I was told to do 1600-1800 calories...65-75 fat, under 20 grams of carb and the rest fat. Now I'm doing much closer to 1200-1400 calories, 80% fat, under 15 carb and the rest fat...being about 120 grams of fat. When I did the "proper macros" we're mostly using....I was to be 58-67 grams of protein, 150 fat and 30 carbs. When I did that, I gained and gained.

Prior to that (2 years ago) I tried to do my best at BFL (Body for Life) and eating nonfat and exercising like a mad woman (I'm 64) at the gym. 3 days a week of heavy weights, 2 hard Pilates workouts and one day of HIIT. I went from 160 to 140 pretty darned fast. Was down in size 8's (from 12-14) and sometimes the 8's would be large. Then I was told that was not a healthy way to eat (nonfat) and I was doing too much exercise for my age. So, I went into Atkins Induction. I never could add any carbs without weight gain...but the sad part is that I gained all 20# back very easily doing Atkins induction. (nutritionist said I cheated with some pecans, or some super low carb ice cream, etc., and the worst was a bacon that said it didn't have sugar, but apparently was mislabeled and caused a quick gain).

So, here I am. Walking 5 miles a day (not speed walking) to keep cortisol levels in good shape. Next week I was planning to return to weight lifting, knowing that with the VLC and high fat that I would probably retain water bigtime in my little puny muscles. But I feel I need weights at my age (osteopenia for last 20 years)

I felt great at 140# and size 6-8 (nonfat/BFL), but I didn't feel "well" or healthy. Changing to NK eating has me feeling energetic, happy and like I'm shrinking from within...someones description of the "glacial timeframe" of weightloss is right on for me. I've lost maybe 1-1.5# this entire month on NK and being in ketosis every day. My ketones are low, but they are *in* NK range above .5, but still low compared to everyone else. I'm eating plenty of the good fats.

So....the low carb way of eating, and higher fat has me feeling healthier, but not losing weight or inches....and apparently having my glucose all over the map!

The BLF plan of eating HIGH protein and nonfat had me MUCH thinner, but I didn't feel "healthy". I'm finishing up my first month on NK and was already in NK the day my meter arrived, so I've been "in the range" for over a month.

I am concerned about my fasting glucose though as it has been hovering at 99 to 107 for several years on annual physicals. And I had my Ha1c test done at my April Physical (at my request) and it was 5.8 (range 4-6) which is high. Doc said it was great and fasting glucose under 120 is just fine. I don't want to be a type II diabetic and am trying to do whatever it takes to "not go there". I don't agree with the doc and won't go back to her.

My "history" is that of being a ballet dancer and then a dance teacher. I've always been 20-30# underweight (ie., skinny), so this is really bugging me to be overweight. My eating habits used to be nonfat, no red meat, lots of fat free stuff and fruit. Not many veggies/salads, etc. I guess I"m lucky that I was never keen on things like chocolate or food in general. I could exist I'm sure on 1% cottage cheese and fruit, and carrot/apple juice galore!

So....got any ideas now? Too much information probably.

I've been to 2 different nutritionists...one of the nonfat school, and one of the Atkins induction school of thought. I lost on the nonfat way, not on Atkins. And here I am on NK and testing my blood......and feeling happy, but not feeling like I'm making any progress.

Please let me know more about your study on yourself and how you might be able to help me stay healthy and reduce my glucose readings (and weight too!!!)

We can take this off the forum if you want...I think we can private message? But I think others are always interested reading about others...I know I am very interested in reading what others are doing..what works, etc. But it's frustrating for me to not see results and working so hard at this. Tomorrow is measure day for body parts. Will be interesting.

Those of you reading and losing, please let me know if this is "off topic" and/or you want me to stop posting here.

Thanks everyone.
Obviously your choice, but this is exactly how we learn. Hope you keep all of us in on this.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #786
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Obviously your choice, but this is exactly how we learn. Hope you keep all of us in on this.
Thanks Judy.....I would say the same to you had you written what I wrote. That is how I have been learning. This forum is so incredible for learning about our bodies, and also learning that there isn't a cookie cutter answer sometimes.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #787
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I have been stalled for 2 years at less than 15 carbs/day and, I think, higher protein. I would be VERY happy with 1.5 lbs of loss in 1, 2, or 3 months. You must think about the fact that you have lost 10% of the weight you wanted. Think about if you needed to lose 100 lbs and lost 10%(10 lbs) in the first 4 weeks. Would you be unhappy with that?

The other thing I am most interested in is your fasting b/g readings and postprandial readings. I don't think it needs to be discussed off thread. There may be others who are on the same "wagon" and need to "hear" all the details.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #788
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Yes, this is the stuff that reminds me I am not totally off my rocker and delusional. I have above normal b.g. levels in the a.m. as well and stalled for exactly 2 yrs (as of today). I lost a bunch of weight in the first year of Atkins and then came to a screeching halt and have started to slowly gain back in the past 6 months or so. I am getting the impression that it is fairly common among women and particularly those that are over 40 - i.e. hormonally challenged.

There has to be an answer to the puzzle .....

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 09-30-2012 at 06:51 AM..
Old 09-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #789
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: clairie
Stats: 175/168/140
Start Date: 9/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Yes, this is the stuff that reminds me I am not totally off my rocker and delusional. I have above normal b.g. levels in the a.m. as well and stalled for exactly 2 yrs (as of today). I lost a bunch of weight in the first year of Atkins and then came to a screeching halt and have started to slowly gain back in the past 6 months or so. I am getting the impression that it is fairly common among women and particularly those that are over 40 - i.e. hormonally challenged.

There has to be an answer to the puzzle .....
I am so in agreement here! I am pushing 40 and my metabolism has slowed down to a crawl. Despite intense workouts almost daily, eating on target now for weeks, and trying to balance sleep,stress, and thyroid,- I have lost nothing.
I do believe that hormones - not sure which ones now!- must be at play. My BGs (blood sugars) are up this morning, and I know when my #'s are up I retain water. Question is to me- why? I eat the same every day, so why are they up today? Must be hormonal. Has to be.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #790
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairie View Post
I am so in agreement here! I am pushing 40 and my metabolism has slowed down to a crawl. Despite intense workouts almost daily, eating on target now for weeks, and trying to balance sleep,stress, and thyroid,- I have lost nothing.
I do believe that hormones - not sure which ones now!- must be at play. My BGs (blood sugars) are up this morning, and I know when my #'s are up I retain water. Question is to me- why? I eat the same every day, so why are they up today? Must be hormonal. Has to be.
I agree. That's why I count the first day of my 2012 weight-loss the day I walked into my ND's office and started the process of testing and correcting my hormones (even though I lost most of my weight when I started NK in early June). It really has made a world of difference in both my weight-loss and quality of life.

I am curious about the daily intense workouts that you mention. These may be working against your weight-loss.

Last edited by mom2zeke; 09-30-2012 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: added some detail
Old 09-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #791
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!
Yesterday was the first day that I deliberately didn't track everything I ate in my tracker. I am trying to transition away from it before I leave for vacation on Friday. I eyeballed everything and then weighed to see how accurate I could get.

This morning I was down 1.4 to 149.4, my ketones were 2.0, and my am BG was 81.

The scale has been extremely bouncy for me over the past week, swinging in a 5 pound range! My hope is that this is the result of building muscle, but I'm not sure about that. I measured today and I was down 1/4 inch in my thighs despite the fact that my weight was slightly up from last Sunday . I was also down 1/4 inch in my waist which accounted for a slight decrease in BF% from my online calculator. I actually don't really trust it at this point because the only measurements that the calculator uses that change are my waist and hips, the other measurement points (neck, wrist, forearm) pretty much stay the same. My upper body really doesn't have that much fat left. I'm way more excited to see a decrease in my thigh measurement than my waist.

How is everyone else doing?
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #792
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Does any one have a recipe for homemade mayo?
Old 09-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #793
Junior LCF Member

I've been on NK for a month now. Here are my 7-day moving averages and total change of those moving averages over the week or month, as appropriate.

Consumption
Carbs: 29.2 g (incl 8.6 g fiber) - 5% (min: 10.8, max: 43.3)
Protein: 111.5 g - 21% (min: 96.6, max: 132.5)
Fat: 182.2 g (incl 13.2 g polyunsat) - 74%
Calories: 2,184 (burning 2,780)

Markers
Weight: 176.5 (no change for the week, down 5.4 for the month)
BMI: 22.67 (down 0.68 for the month)
Ketones: 0.9 (down 0.29 for the week) - (min:0.7, max: 1.1)
Fasting BG: 94.7 (down 2.8 for the month)

For reference, I'm 6' 2" tall and I estimate my LBM at 144 pounds. Based on this, my protein should be between 86 to 144 g/day.

My ketones were highest on the day after eating 10.8 g carb (lowest for the week) with 132.5 g protein (highest for the week). Conversely, my ketones were lowest the mornings after above-average carb days. Based on this, I'm probably somewhat more sensitive to carbs, but still need to watch the protein intake.

As a check, I averaged 2216 calories consumed per day and 2841 burned per day for the month. The 625 calorie deficit over 30 days would represent 5.36 pounds of fat at 3500 cal/pound. I lost 5.4 pounds of something, so calories still seem to count. (n=1, YMMV, PPINGOFR) I'll see if it holds true next month.

Keep clam, Terry

PS - If you managed to stay awake through all these numbers, I'll make you a NorCal margarita the next time I see you.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #794
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Have you taken a maintenance break? I'm also ultra slow loser, and I think it's even more important for us to ramp up the calories for awhile. Especially when we aren't losing.

I know blood sugar is affected by cortisol, which is also effected by all the monthly hormones.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #795
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargD View Post
1. Accu-Chek Aviva
2. Freestyle Freedom Lite
3. Accu-Chek Compact Plus
4. FreeStyle Lite
5. Bayer Breeze 2
6. Up & Up (Target)
7. ReliOn Micro (Walmart)
8. OneTouch UltraSmart
9. TrueResult

These are, in order, the models CR recommends. They all scored Excellent for accuracy.

If anyone wants to check out the issue, it's November, 2012, but this article and the ratings don't even take up a full page, so maybe you can look at it at the library if you're interested in reading the entire article.
I read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution book last year. He gave his office phone number and said to call for the latest recommendation on accurate glucose meters. When I called, I was quite surprised that Dr. B answered the phone himself! He told me that he recommended the Accu-Chek Aviva. So he agreed with CR's recent rating.

As I mentioned previously, I really liked the Multiclix lancing device that came with the Accu-Chek, which has a 6-lancet turret that's easy to load and advance to the next lancet. To me, it also seemed a little less painful than the OneTouch lancing device I've been using.

BTW, the #2 & #4-rated Freestyle meters are from the same company (Abbott) as the Precision Xtra meters that some are using for ketone measurement. (In Sweden, the ketone meter that Dr. Eenfeldt has is labeled "FreeStyle Precision".) So it seems likely that they will also be good for glucose measurement.

Keep calm, Terry
Old 09-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #796
Senior LCF Member

Good morning everyone......I have an update as today is my weekly measuring. I was so excited as I was so "sure" that I was going to have shrinking numbers. I've been wearing the same stretch jeans and they are very comfy!!! Well, it didn't work. My measurements for bust and thighs were the same. My waist (smallest part), waist at navel, abdomen, and hips all increased 1/4 to 1/2"!!!! My weight was down the .6 that I had gained the day before. If you look at my 7 scale weights of first thing in the AM in the nude, I range in a 2# window.

But, here's the fun part (especially for Mike to consider). I was gone all day yesterday so took with me 2 "protein shakes" in a shaker bottle. EAch one had 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1/4 cup of 40% HWC (organic), and ice cubes. I added 1/2 scoop of my whey protein powder which would give me 12 grams of protein....some "pumpkin pie spice" and a splash of SF DaVinci's cinnamon. ie.., YUM. Because I was gone, I didn't have my usual 8-14 cups of water intake...only had about 2-3 cups!! Yikes. the second shake also had (lunch) 1 TBSP of MCT oil.

My readings this morning were the weight was down the .6# I had gained the day before. My fasting BG was 97 and my ketones were the highest ever... 1.5!!!!! So, now I"m wondering about 2 things. #1 being so many say to NOT use protein powder as it stalls you and the other is water intake. Could the water be diluting my readings (giving them low in ketones?)

I guess I will know tomorrow as today I'm home and a "normal day" of eating/water consumption, etc. If the ketones stay up, then it took me a full month to get in the right range. If they drop back to the .6-.8 range, then I wonder if it's the water I drink???

Portcop...re: homemade mayo....Kristn posted a mayo recipe on this thread earlier, and then I googled mayo and lots of recipes came up. Some are high in lemon juice, others fancy mustards, etc. You have to just try them to see what tickles your taste buds. Kristn's recipe is great (coconut oil and olive oil, lots of lemon) but I like the consistency of all olive oil and I believe it's Emeril Lagasse's recipe that I like best (for me). Someone else even posted a bacon grease recipe which I'm doing next! I love bacon!!! I think we are not allowed to post websites here, so just google it.

Last edited by shelley; 09-30-2012 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: major typo!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #797
Senior LCF Member

"drjlocarb I have been stalled for 2 years at less than 15 carbs/day and, I think, higher protein. I would be VERY happy with 1.5 lbs of loss in 1, 2, or 3 months. You must think about the fact that you have lost 10% of the weight you wanted. Think about if you needed to lose 100 lbs and lost 10%(10 lbs) in the first 4 weeks. Would you be unhappy with that?"

You are so right!! And I am happy that the graph of weightloss is trending down (lots of ups and downs, but from Sept. 1 to Sept. 30, there is a 2# loss. I'll take it.

"The other thing I am most interested in is your fasting b/g readings and postprandial readings. I don't think it needs to be discussed off thread. There may be others who are on the same "wagon" and need to "hear" all the details."

OK....continuing on posting. I'll have to do the PP readings when I finish this post as it's just about the 2 hour mark after my breakfast (today another protein shake-different one...and 2 pieces of bacon). We'll see what the levels are 2 hours later.

"clackley Yes, this is the stuff that reminds me I am not totally off my rocker and delusional. I have above normal b.g. levels in the a.m. as well and stalled for exactly 2 yrs (as of today). I lost a bunch of weight in the first year of Atkins and then came to a screeching halt and have started to slowly gain back in the past 6 months or so. I am getting the impression that it is fairly common among women and particularly those that are over 40 - i.e. hormonally challenged.

There has to be an answer to the puzzle ....."

OK.....I will continue to post and maybe someone can figure out what is going on with many of us in the same boat. However, one thing is very different for me. I'm 64 years old and do not have any hormonal stuff going on, so can't use that as a reason. I got off all BHRT a year ago and that has really helped. I was on BHRT for many many years. So, my hormones are not an issue in any of this, and I"m well optimized with my thyroid. I can't use any as a "reason/excuse".

Kristn, you are doing great, and I bet you can't wait to head out for vacation! I know you'll have a grand time.

OK...off to test my 2 hour PP B/G results for Dr. J!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #798
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The other thing I am most interested in is your fasting b/g readings and postprandial readings. I don't think it needs to be discussed off thread. There may be others who are on the same "wagon" and need to "hear" all the details.
OK Dr. J.......just did the 2 hour PP glucose test.....96. This morning when I got up, it was 97. So, after my 3 mile walk, fat bombs, protein shake and bacon, it dropped 1 point. At least it's still in the 90's!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #799
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pot Pie
Stats: 221.6/173.4/125
Start Date: LC: 2010 NK: September 29 2012
I woke up this morning and after my first day of NK I was up 2.4 lbs! However I felt smaller so the number surprised me. Usually when I wake up feeling smaller I have just had a whoosh. I have always weighed every day and it will be interesting to watch the bouncing around. It doesn't stress me out. I like to make a chart and watch it go down over time. This WOE feels very different. I just finished lunch which was an artichoke and some taco soup from the recipe thread here. I feel full, I felt hungry yesterday. But I started eating late today. Had breakfast at 11.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #800
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Could the water be diluting my readings (giving them low in ketones?)
I think urinary ketones can be diluted, but I don't think blood volume changes as much so I wouldn't think it has much effect.

OTOH, whey protein bothers some but not ALL folks, so it could be perfectly okay for you. I know it's a no go for me. I gained weight when I tried the Eades "cure for the middle age middle" which included shakes at first.

You included MCT oil, that's great for ketones! I'm about to run out of my coconut oil again. I should just buy another gallon online and stop fussing about with the small bottles.
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
Old 09-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #801
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I agree. That's why I count the first day of my 2012 weight-loss the day I walked into my ND's office and started the process of testing and correcting my hormones (even though I lost most of my weight when I started NK in early June). It really has made a world of difference in both my weight-loss and quality of life.

I am curious about the daily intense workouts that you mention. These may be working against your weight-loss.
thanks for your comment I would love to get my hormones balanced - it seems like things are always on the move! thyroid, iron, b12, - and cortisol I am sure!

My workouts switch off between elliptical training intervals and kettlebells. I love to get my heart rate way high and then rest, then do it again. HIIT. I don't go forever, maybe 30-40 min. I do yoga once a week, walk the dog every night, and that's about it. I test my blood sugars pre and post workout. Being on insulin, it is easy to have a low blood sugar while working out.
I find though, that the really tough workouts- say I lift a heavier bell one day, or do a double bell routine, or do extra tough sprints on the machine- I must get a cortisol dump because my #s will be higher after the workout. I actaully need to take insulin to get my #'s back down. In a non-diabetic, this check and balances happens naturally, so it is hard to measure. the body senses cortisol release, or adrenaline, and then the pancreas will release insulin as a counter-regulatory hormone.
What it tells me is- more insulin= weight gain. So, the HIIT may not be the best for my weight loss, despite my love of it and the cardio benefits. Slow and low intensity is actually the best for my blood sugars. Walking, gentle yoga, etc.
So, with all that said- I guess I need to find balance. again!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #802
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
I think urinary ketones can be diluted, but I don't think blood volume changes as much so I wouldn't think it has much effect.

OTOH, whey protein bothers some but not ALL folks, so it could be perfectly okay for you. I know it's a no go for me. I gained weight when I tried the Eades "cure for the middle age middle" which included shakes at first.

You included MCT oil, that's great for ketones! I'm about to run out of my coconut oil again. I should just buy another gallon online and stop fussing about with the small bottles.
Thanks Paula.....I had the same thoughts on the urinary ketones vs blood ketones. I am not anxious to test tomorrow to see if maybe I am "on a roll" and finally over 1.0 in the readings! That would be wonderful. It's about time!

I laughed over your comment about the coconut oil. I used to order it by the gallon as well, and have cut back to the 54 oz (?) size containers. I've been testing different ones...I know we can't recommend any. But I've had great luck with different ones lately, so now I'm ordering by price!
Old 09-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #803
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
thanks for your comment I would love to get my hormones balanced - it seems like things are always on the move! thyroid, iron, b12, - and cortisol I am sure!

My workouts switch off between elliptical training intervals and kettlebells. I love to get my heart rate way high and then rest, then do it again. HIIT. I don't go forever, maybe 30-40 min. I do yoga once a week, walk the dog every night, and that's about it. I test my blood sugars pre and post workout. Being on insulin, it is easy to have a low blood sugar while working out.
I find though, that the really tough workouts- say I lift a heavier bell one day, or do a double bell routine, or do extra tough sprints on the machine- I must get a cortisol dump because my #s will be higher after the workout. I actaully need to take insulin to get my #'s back down. In a non-diabetic, this check and balances happens naturally, so it is hard to measure. the body senses cortisol release, or adrenaline, and then the pancreas will release insulin as a counter-regulatory hormone.
What it tells me is- more insulin= weight gain. So, the HIIT may not be the best for my weight loss, despite my love of it and the cardio benefits. Slow and low intensity is actually the best for my blood sugars. Walking, gentle yoga, etc.
Hi Clairie,

I find your posts as a type I diabetic amazingly interesting to read! Thanks for all your posts and comments. Gives me a totally different perspective.

The one thing I can say is that I used to exercise a lot....5-6 days a week and HIIT, hard hard hard Pilates mat classes, and heavy lifting....and I didn't do well with it. I finally listened to my nutritionist who said to do nothing but a nice casual walk....and so I bought a pedometer and make sure to get in my 10,000 steps a day....and I do. It feels really good, but this week I'm adding back the weights...so it will be interesting. Hard exercise does raise cortisol levels and then the endocrine system has to balance....walking doesn't make that happen, so it's much easier on the body and all the hormonal stuff. You might try it for a couple weeks to see how you feel that way. It's hard when you are used to pushing hard though.....that's for sure! But now I really enjoy it.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #804
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post

Whey protein is known to be insulinogenic, meaning that it "produce. promoting the production and release of insulin by the islets of Langerhans in the pancreas." I believe what is unclear is whether it is the actual whey or the fact that it is rapidly digested.

Different people report different experiences with it but I get the impression that if you are a person who is struggling with weight loss, it is something to be avoided or used only sparingly.

In my personal experience, and before I realized the why, I found that it made me hungry in a very similiar way that eating a piece of whole wheat toast used to.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #805
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Clairie,

I find your posts as a type I diabetic amazingly interesting to read! Thanks for all your posts and comments. Gives me a totally different perspective.

The one thing I can say is that I used to exercise a lot....5-6 days a week and HIIT, hard hard hard Pilates mat classes, and heavy lifting....and I didn't do well with it. I finally listened to my nutritionist who said to do nothing but a nice casual walk....and so I bought a pedometer and make sure to get in my 10,000 steps a day....and I do. It feels really good, but this week I'm adding back the weights...so it will be interesting. Hard exercise does raise cortisol levels and then the endocrine system has to balance....walking doesn't make that happen, so it's much easier on the body and all the hormonal stuff. You might try it for a couple weeks to see how you feel that way. It's hard when you are used to pushing hard though.....that's for sure! But now I really enjoy it.
Thanks so much!!!

Good advice. I will back it off for a couple weeks or so as a test and see what happens. I think in my case- as in yours as well, more isn't always better! or harder, or more intense -
I just went for a nice walk with my fam. Felt good.
This morning I did an elliptical workout, but purposely set my heart rate target lower and didn't sprint. Just easy peasy.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #806
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I find that working out hard 2 - 3 times a week is just about right. The other days I do low level stuff like walking. There was a time when DH and I were working out hard every day (HIIT and heavy weight lifting) and my weight loss stopped dead in its tracks. I think it's good to find a balance.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #807
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Does any one have a recipe for homemade mayo?
I really like the recipe and method at Everyday Paleo. I sub white wine vinegar for lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. My family LOVES this mayo and it's turned out beautifully every time I've made it. Make sure eggs are room temp and use extra light tasting Olive oil so the Olive Oil flavor doesn't overwhelm.

--Jamie
Old 09-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #808
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks
Old 09-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #809
Chatty Cathy

This recipe works well and tastes great. I use my immersion blender with a wisk attachment and never let go of the container(after the last fiasco). I add a few grains of salt at the end.

Mayonnaise
yield: Makes about 1 cup
active time: 10 min
total time: 10 min
Homemade mayonnaise has a silkiness, an elegance, that you won't find in any commercial preparation. Making it by hand isn't hard (or... more ›

Ingredients

1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3/4 cup extra light oil
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon white pepper

Preparation

Whisk together yolk, mustard, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until combined well. Add about 1/4 cup oil drop by drop, whisking constantly until mixture begins to thicken. Whisk in vinegar and lemon juice, then add remaining 1/2 cup oil in a very slow, thin stream, whisking constantly until well blended. If at any time it appears that oil is not being incorporated, stop adding oil and whisk mixture vigorously until smooth, then continue adding oil. Whisk in salt to taste and white pepper. Chill, surface covered with plastic wrap, until ready to use.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #810
Major LCF Poster!

Clackley thanks so much I will try this!
Closed Thread