Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #601
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,772
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Great numbers Claire, yes, the fasting BG is a little high though. That will vary day to day.

I am really likeing the magnesium too. Don't know how much is that and how much the change in diet but my sleeping is sooo much better. I am able to get to sleep earlier and thus wake up earlier, more in tune with the general population,haha
Buffy45 is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #602
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzymommy2430 View Post
Well maybe a week. I must admit that I made fat bombs or a version of it, with walnut butter, coconut oil and butter, little cocoa powder and stevia. It was the first sweet thing and snack type thing I had in a couple weeks, so I sort of overate them. I was surprised that when you over eat fat, you don't feel as sick as when you overeat carbs. Anyway, so I was up .6 this morning and was kind of relieved. Oh and I also decided to make the mock danish thing yesterday. Today I made the pumpkin shake and my carbs are 19 grams. I recall someone on here saying they actually upped their carbs to lose weight. Was that you? Anyway, hoping I will lose weight with these ratios. My firs week or so of this, I didn't know about ketosis so I was just doing low carb.
Not me about upping carbs. I usually keep mine in the 20-30 total gram range, and often go lower.

Bouncing for a week is totally normal, BTW. I will often bounce for 2 weeks and then have a whoosh at the end of it. I learned early on to have a more long-term view of weight-loss and to track my pattern over time. Daily weight-loss just doesn't happen that often. Maybe when you start a new WOE, but over time it seems to just go a bit slower and consistency and patience are necessary to help you keep going.
__________________
Kristn
50 yo
LC since 2001
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #603
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairie View Post
Good morning!
I took magnesium last night and slept really well!

This morning I woke up
BG 110
Ketones 1.0
higher both tests than yesterday- strange, but ok!

yesterday I ate
Protein :70
Carbs:14
Fat:124

I think I'll back off the protein today. It snuck up on me yesterday!! I am craving it too. I think I need to keep an awareness of that craving. Could be the reason for the higher BG's.
have a great day everyone!
Woo hoo on the sleeping!

It's so easy to eat more protein! Almost everything has some and then it's just a bit here and there and it's higher than you planned--especially when you're tracking so closely.

My ketones have been consistently lower since I upped my protein slightly for maintenance. After looking at my last month's chart that's the only thing that I can think has made a difference.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #604
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 23
Gallery: bizzymommy2430
Hey,
I was trying to find information about my water retention. I guess it may be because of low potassium. I didn't add an additional potassium supplement. I found this info about dry skin in the paragraph and why drinking extra water doesn't help.
Excerpts from: "Ask the Doctor about Dry Skin"

"The reason drinking a lot of water doesn't work very well is because the water in our cells is actually derived from the metabolism of fats. (The water we drink mostly goes into the blood stream and then out via the kidneys.)

It follows, therefore, that when the skin is dry it means there is a relative imbalance or deficiency of fats, especially compared to the levels of carbohydrates in the diet. I find confirmation of this in my practice in that most of my patients who suffer from dry skin are thin and have been eating a low-fat diet. They are also often hypoglycemic and crave sugar.

Thus they are eating a diet that is high in carbohydrates but deficient in good quality fat. By changing the ratio, so that more calories come from fats than carbohydrates, the body produced more water for the cells. In addition, the body will now have more fatty acids available for our oil-producing glands, which are our natural moisturizers. Good fats include butter, lard, coconut oil, olive oil..."
bizzymommy2430 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #605
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzymommy2430 View Post
Hey,
I was trying to find information about my water retention. I guess it may be because of low potassium. I didn't add an additional potassium supplement. I found this info about dry skin in the paragraph and why drinking extra water doesn't help.
Excerpts from: "Ask the Doctor about Dry Skin"

"The reason drinking a lot of water doesn't work very well is because the water in our cells is actually derived from the metabolism of fats. (The water we drink mostly goes into the blood stream and then out via the kidneys.)

It follows, therefore, that when the skin is dry it means there is a relative imbalance or deficiency of fats, especially compared to the levels of carbohydrates in the diet. I find confirmation of this in my practice in that most of my patients who suffer from dry skin are thin and have been eating a low-fat diet. They are also often hypoglycemic and crave sugar.

Thus they are eating a diet that is high in carbohydrates but deficient in good quality fat. By changing the ratio, so that more calories come from fats than carbohydrates, the body produced more water for the cells. In addition, the body will now have more fatty acids available for our oil-producing glands, which are our natural moisturizers. Good fats include butter, lard, coconut oil, olive oil..."
That is very interesting! I have first hand experience with my hands not being dry and cracked since greatly increasing the amount of CO I eat.

Buffy has remarked about her good experience too.
reddarin is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #606
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,772
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
I quickly noticed a difference in my skin, much less dry and more comfortable, nothing is worse then dry itchy skin. One of my kids mentioned the other day that I just glowed, and that was no makeup at all.

Funny thing, before I started this WOE I was eating very high fat, but mostly processed junk with lots of carbs and sugar, I know, hard to believe a diabetic was eating that way but I was sort of in denial about the damage I was causing although deep down, I kept thinking, got to change this, got to change this.
__________________
Buffy
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #607
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 23
Gallery: bizzymommy2430
Yeah.. well now we know why the water doesn't help moisturize. I just got home from the grocery store. Was a little tough to walk past the bakery aisle and all the sweets everywhere. Carbs were everywhere! I kind of tell myself..even if it's a lie.. that when I'm like 80 or 85 if I'm still alive I can pig out on carbs and get fat then. Haha.

mom2zeke: do you know how much potassium we need? I saw on one search it's 3500 mg for potassium. I bought supplements and they are only 99mg a pill. How could I ever reach the daily required amount!?
bizzymommy2430 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #608
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,926
Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I quickly noticed a difference in my skin, much less dry and more comfortable, nothing is worse then dry itchy skin. One of my kids mentioned the other day that I just glowed, and that was no makeup at all.

Funny thing, before I started this WOE I was eating very high fat, but mostly processed junk with lots of carbs and sugar, I know, hard to believe a diabetic was eating that way but I was sort of in denial about the damage I was causing although deep down, I kept thinking, got to change this, got to change this.
Good for you for making the change, Buffy! It's a wonderful gift to your children, to have a happy, healthy mom around for a lot longer!
svenskamae is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #609
Junior LCF Member
 
miker295's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 56
Gallery: miker295
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/22/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzymommy2430 View Post
Hey,
I was trying to find information about my water retention. I guess it may be because of low potassium. I didn't add an additional potassium supplement. I found this info about dry skin in the paragraph and why drinking extra water doesn't help.
Excerpts from: "Ask the Doctor about Dry Skin"

"The reason drinking a lot of water doesn't work very well is because the water in our cells is actually derived from the metabolism of fats. (The water we drink mostly goes into the blood stream and then out via the kidneys.)

It follows, therefore, that when the skin is dry it means there is a relative imbalance or deficiency of fats, especially compared to the levels of carbohydrates in the diet. I find confirmation of this in my practice in that most of my patients who suffer from dry skin are thin and have been eating a low-fat diet. They are also often hypoglycemic and crave sugar.

Thus they are eating a diet that is high in carbohydrates but deficient in good quality fat. By changing the ratio, so that more calories come from fats than carbohydrates, the body produced more water for the cells. In addition, the body will now have more fatty acids available for our oil-producing glands, which are our natural moisturizers. Good fats include butter, lard, coconut oil, olive oil..."


I just bought potassium yesterday after hearing about it on the latest Ask the Low Carb Expert show. I have been insanely thirsty since starting this WOE and apparently the potassium helps with water regulation in the body. I took one pill at dinner and another this AM and I would say my thirst is down over 50%!

On the dry skin I have also noticed much improvement to my skin since starting NK. I used to use several medicines for dry skin that my dermatologist recommended, and now I've cut them back to sporadic use. In fact I see an overnight difference when I add in even slight amounts of carbs back into the diet, especially wheat (possibly nuts too). I am trying to isolate exactly what foods trigger it but that is very hard to do!
miker295 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #610
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzymommy2430 View Post
I just got home from the grocery store. Was a little tough to walk past the bakery aisle and all the sweets everywhere. Carbs were everywhere!
I bet you'll find that over time those carby things will become less and less attractive to you. That has certainly been the case for me. I don't even notice them most of the time and when I do it is sort of with a wrinkled nose because they have kind of a sickly sweet stink to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzymommy2430 View Post
mom2zeke: do you know how much potassium we need? I saw on one search it's 3500 mg for potassium. I bought supplements and they are only 99mg a pill. How could I ever reach the daily required amount!?
I believe Dr. Eades recommends 400mg during keto-adaptation and then 200mg after that. I take 2 of the 99mg pills every day.

Maybe Mike will give us the title for the potassium show he was listening to?
reddarin is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #611
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 28
Gallery: sheri81428
WOE: LC
Start Date: January 2003
I agree Red- over time the desire for anything sweet went away to the point, when I 'm in maintenance (not there now, I wish), there are very few sweet things I can even tolerate.
sheri81428 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #612
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 23
Gallery: bizzymommy2430
I try to just look at them and think of it as a fat blocker. As in, not being able to burn fat if I eat it.

I was just looking up foods with potassium, because I am reading anywhere between 2000 to 3500mg a day is recommended. Food is believed to be the best source of it. It is listing foods like avocado and spinach, obviously a banana but that's a lot of carbs. I was eating like 10-12 carbs. I think I may not count the carbs so closely or up them to like 50ish and have them come form vegetables. I haven't had any avocado since I started nutritional ketosis. I don't see it being possible to get enough potassium on 12 carbs a day. The supplements are only 99mg a pill. I am hoping if I do increase veggies, I'll still be able to lose weight..even if I'm not technically in ketosis. Which, I don't test for anyway, since I don't have the meter.
bizzymommy2430 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #613
Major LCF Poster!
 
mom2zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,591
Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzymommy2430 View Post
I try to just look at them and think of it as a fat blocker. As in, not being able to burn fat if I eat it.

I was just looking up foods with potassium, because I am reading anywhere between 2000 to 3500mg a day is recommended. Food is believed to be the best source of it. It is listing foods like avocado and spinach, obviously a banana but that's a lot of carbs. I was eating like 10-12 carbs. I think I may not count the carbs so closely or up them to like 50ish and have them come form vegetables. I haven't had any avocado since I started nutritional ketosis. I don't see it being possible to get enough potassium on 12 carbs a day. The supplements are only 99mg a pill. I am hoping if I do increase veggies, I'll still be able to lose weight..even if I'm not technically in ketosis. Which, I don't test for anyway, since I don't have the meter.
I know that Terry was struggling to get enough potassium. I wonder if he has a solution for you? I occasionally eat avocados and I take 2 potassium tablets every night. Even though I'm not up to the recommended daily amount it seems to work for me.
mom2zeke is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #614
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Not me about upping carbs. I usually keep mine in the 20-30 total gram range, and often go lower.

Bouncing for a week is totally normal, BTW. I will often bounce for 2 weeks and then have a whoosh at the end of it. I learned early on to have a more long-term view of weight-loss and to track my pattern over time. Daily weight-loss just doesn't happen that often. Maybe when you start a new WOE, but over time it seems to just go a bit slower and consistency and patience are necessary to help you keep going.
Kristn, I really needed to read this from you this morning. My weight is up again today....and that is so frustrating when everything seems so "perfect". Yesterday was :
58.4 protein (15%)
20.0 carb (5%)
141.6 fat (80%) and total of 1713 calories (lots of exercise yesterday)

Yet, the scale went up again..... this time .6# up after yesterdays 1# gain.

I'm taking Red's advice and doing the fat fast AGAIN....I think it's the 20 carbs as I don't seem to tolerate them at all, and yesterday was a lettuce salad with 1/2 of a small tomato, 1/2 of an avocado which really "upped" my carbs....so strange that my body can't tolerate them. I'm so glad Christina (g3rmanchik) wrote with the same intolerance of even veggie carbs.

Anyway, the *good* news is that my glucose went from yesterday's whopping high 111 to today's 94....but ketones are now down to .6 and I have no idea why. We'll see what a few days of fat fasting does. Last time I did it for 4 days I did not have a ketone meter. This is week #4 for me doing strict NK eating, so I'm waiting for that big whoosh.....heck, I'll take a bitty one at this point! :-)

Great news on those of you who are now enjoying the amazing benefits of taking magnesium at night for wonderful sleep! Isn't it great!
shelley is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #615
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,772
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzymommy2430 View Post
Yeah.. well now we know why the water doesn't help moisturize. I just got home from the grocery store. Was a little tough to walk past the bakery aisle and all the sweets everywhere. Carbs were everywhere! I kind of tell myself..even if it's a lie.. that when I'm like 80 or 85 if I'm still alive I can pig out on carbs and get fat then. Haha.

mom2zeke: do you know how much potassium we need? I saw on one search it's 3500 mg for potassium. I bought supplements and they are only 99mg a pill. How could I ever reach the daily required amount!?
Whoa, I walked into one of our nicer grocery stores on Saturday, the first area you enter is the bakery section and ewww, all I could smell was a heavy odor of bad fat, yuck. Wasn't hard at all to breeze right through there and to think, it used to smell sooo good.
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #616
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,772
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
This isn't really the right thread for this but since so many of us are using coconut oil, will post it here. I was on a thread years ago where we were trying all kinds of uses for coconut oil and one of them was brushing your teeth with it, the other oil pulling. As a senior citizen, aka old, I hate how much my teeth have yellowed but yet when I try to get them whitened or do it myself, they become super sensitive. So, last week I started added coconut oil to my regular toothpaste and I immediately noticed that my teeth were a little brighter. And wow, does it make you teeth and mouth feel nice and clean. So, then, a couple of days ago, I added back oil pulling with the CO. I think my teeth are quite a bit whiter, liking my smile much better. If you don't know about oil pulling, you can google it, just remember if you do it, don't swallow the oil afterwards, spit it out. Supposedly it releases a lot of toxins and you don't want to ingest those.

Ok, back to thread business as usual! Notice how white my smile is here in this icon???
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #617
Major LCF Poster!
 
vilanteira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,067
Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Buffy, I oil pull every morning with CO and every single one of my dentist appointments have gone so smoothly since doing so. My dentist raves about my teeth every time. Oil pulling helps get rid of plaque and has made my teeth whiter and shinier too, along with clearing out my sinuses. I love it.

On the NK front, I'm feeling more appetite suppression as I continue and my weight has bounced back up to my maintenance range, so the 2 lbs lost was just temporary water weight I'm thinking. The most noticeable change though? I sleep so well now, on both my DDs and UDs. I used to have problems sleeping on DDs, but not since I switched to doing NK along with JUDDD.
__________________
* wheat/gluten-free
* whole foods and minimal refined sugar/carbs
* goal reached on 7/2/2012

Last edited by vilanteira; 09-25-2012 at 11:43 AM..
vilanteira is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #618
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post

Ok, back to thread business as usual! Notice how white my smile is here in this icon???
Your smile is spectacular!!!! I just googled oil pulling and was amazed at the things I read. Very unusual and bizarre, but having lived in India for 2.5 years, I was interested. I'm going to try it! :-) Thanks for posting this. I read about it a while back, but didn't check it out then. 20 minutes though? Yikes.....that's a long time to be swooshing! ha ha ha (don't know how to use those cute icons in my posts!)
shelley is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #619
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Coast!
Posts: 201
Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzymommy2430 View Post
I try to just look at them and think of it as a fat blocker. As in, not being able to burn fat if I eat it.

I was just looking up foods with potassium, because I am reading anywhere between 2000 to 3500mg a day is recommended. Food is believed to be the best source of it. It is listing foods like avocado and spinach, obviously a banana but that's a lot of carbs. I was eating like 10-12 carbs. I think I may not count the carbs so closely or up them to like 50ish and have them come form vegetables. I haven't had any avocado since I started nutritional ketosis. I don't see it being possible to get enough potassium on 12 carbs a day. The supplements are only 99mg a pill. I am hoping if I do increase veggies, I'll still be able to lose weight..even if I'm not technically in ketosis. Which, I don't test for anyway, since I don't have the meter.
I am right around 35 - 40g carbs a day (incl fiber) and I usually eat 1 C salad greens, 1/2 C mixed veg for salad (tomato, carrot, cuke, green pepper), 1/2 avocado per day (at least while avos are in season...), plus up to 1 c of other green veg - cabbage, beans, asparagus - for dinner. Not sure what my potassium is, but have had no problems with electrolyte imbalance so far - leg cramps, that kind of thing. Everyone is different and many people here are much stricter on carbs for their own reasons. I am trending down with 40g carb per day, so I am content. (well, ecstatic, really...LOL).
route66 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #620
Junior LCF Member
 
clairie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: bay area, ca
Posts: 55
Gallery: clairie
Stats: 175/168/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 9/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
I know that Terry was struggling to get enough potassium. I wonder if he has a solution for you? I occasionally eat avocados and I take 2 potassium tablets every night. Even though I'm not up to the recommended daily amount it seems to work for me.
I need to take my potassium tablets too! I have been feeling better since I went through quite a "flu" I didn't take any potassium and then got to a point where I felt so funky! metallic taste, fuzzy head, etc and then I bought NoSalt and it helped so much. I have been focusing on salt and boullion cubes, but forgetting potassium again- Thanks for posting about this you guys!

It's all such a balancing act.
clairie is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #621
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,772
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
Buffy, I oil pull every morning with CO and every single one of my dentist appointments have gone so smoothly since doing so. My dentist raves about my teeth every time. Oil pulling helps get rid of plaque and has made my teeth whiter and shinier too, along with clearing out my sinuses. I love it.

On the NK front, I'm feeling more appetite suppression as I continue and my weight has bounced back up to my maintenance range, so the 2 lbs lost was just temporary water weight I'm thinking. The most noticeable change though? I sleep so well now, on both my DDs and UDs. I used to have problems sleeping on DDs, but not since I switched to doing NK along with JUDDD.
Great to hear, on both the oil pulling and the sleeping!
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #622
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 23
Gallery: bizzymommy2430
It really is such a balancing act with the vitamins/minerals. I had no clue about this stuff until someone suggested magnesium yesterday for sleep. Which, again, Thank God!! I am feeling calmer and more relaxed today and slept well. I gave it to my son last night and he slept through the night which is a big thing for him! He's always up at night..except for the occasional night of sleep catch up he somehow gets. It will be a regular in our supplements. Then, waking up so bloated, my eye lids were droopy and realizing I was way down on Potassium. I'm sure because of the symptoms and because I know what I've been eating and it's no where near 2000 to 3500 mg potassium.

Thanks route66 for giving me hope that I can still possibly lose weight if I go up in card to around 40. I just had a big salad for lunch...with avocado! Oh it was so delicious. Oh and cream cheese, pumpkin, nuts and stevia..also delish!!!
bizzymommy2430 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #623
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,772
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Your smile is spectacular!!!! I just googled oil pulling and was amazed at the things I read. Very unusual and bizarre, but having lived in India for 2.5 years, I was interested. I'm going to try it! :-) Thanks for posting this. I read about it a while back, but didn't check it out then. 20 minutes though? Yikes.....that's a long time to be swooshing! ha ha ha (don't know how to use those cute icons in my posts!)
Shelley, when you are ready to post, click the advanced button, the icons or smilies are on the right, position your pointer and just click on the right icon, it will pop in there.

Yes, 20 minutes is a long time, I don't always make it that long, but usually brush my teeth, rinse, then put a gob of CO in my mouth and then come in to the computer and swish while I surf
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #624
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,772
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
I am right around 35 - 40g carbs a day (incl fiber) and I usually eat 1 C salad greens, 1/2 C mixed veg for salad (tomato, carrot, cuke, green pepper), 1/2 avocado per day (at least while avos are in season...), plus up to 1 c of other green veg - cabbage, beans, asparagus - for dinner. Not sure what my potassium is, but have had no problems with electrolyte imbalance so far - leg cramps, that kind of thing. Everyone is different and many people here are much stricter on carbs for their own reasons. I am trending down with 40g carb per day, so I am content. (well, ecstatic, really...LOL).
Route 66, can you give us some more information on the plan you are following, for how long and your loss, successes so far? I would love to think I can eat more carbs in the form of veggies, etc. too.
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #625
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Coast!
Posts: 201
Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Route 66, can you give us some more information on the plan you are following, for how long and your loss, successes so far? I would love to think I can eat more carbs in the form of veggies, etc. too.
Thanks for asking, Buffy! I have maintained between 150-160lbs for many years on and off LC (height almost 5' 5"), but my real goal is 135-140. Since August 27 I have been trying to stay at or around 40g carb, 60g protein and then fat to satiate (between 1200-2000 cals with most days about 1650). I am not testing for NK, but feel like I am within the parameters for the most part. I have no metabolic or medical issues (thyroid, menopause, pre-diabetes, etc). I am lightly active and in fact have tried to decrease my exercise in this time. So, maybe a 45 minute walk plus one evening of social tennis each week. I have lost 6 pounds solid since Aug 27.

I just picked 40g carbs since I felt like I didn't need to be so strict to Atkins Induction (been there done that!), but didn't want to give myself too much leeway to eat too many trigger foods. i.e first two weeks I was eating Ezekiel Sprouted Bread but hardly any veggies then, but have mostly cut that out. I was planning on adjusting as necessary, but haven't needed to.

I have not been 100% compliant. I had two meals with carbs - one sept 14 and one last Sunday (not a full DAY of carbs, just one meal each time). Both weekends I gained water weight (1-2 lbs), but went down within 3-4 days. Patience is a must, but I can live with that to make it livable.

The biggest thing for me was letting go of the daily fluctuations. I am recording them (weight and food intake) and looking at them, since for the moment if I don't track, I will get OFF track. BUT I can look at my weight now (today up another .2 from yesterday's up of 1 lb) and not feel panicky or that I MUST CHANGE SOMETHING RIGHT NOW!!! I can much better go with the flow and eat my fat today and we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Hope this helps you!!
route66 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #626
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,772
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
Thanks for asking, Buffy! I have maintained between 150-160lbs for many years on and off LC (height almost 5' 5"), but my real goal is 135-140. Since August 27 I have been trying to stay at or around 40g carb, 60g protein and then fat to satiate (between 1200-2000 cals with most days about 1650). I am not testing for NK, but feel like I am within the parameters for the most part. I have no metabolic or medical issues (thyroid, menopause, pre-diabetes, etc). I am lightly active and in fact have tried to decrease my exercise in this time. So, maybe a 45 minute walk plus one evening of social tennis each week. I have lost 6 pounds solid since Aug 27.

I just picked 40g carbs since I felt like I didn't need to be so strict to Atkins Induction (been there done that!), but didn't want to give myself too much leeway to eat too many trigger foods. i.e first two weeks I was eating Ezekiel Sprouted Bread but hardly any veggies then, but have mostly cut that out. I was planning on adjusting as necessary, but haven't needed to.

I have not been 100% compliant. I had two meals with carbs - one sept 14 and one last Sunday (not a full DAY of carbs, just one meal each time). Both weekends I gained water weight (1-2 lbs), but went down within 3-4 days. Patience is a must, but I can live with that to make it livable.

The biggest thing for me was letting go of the daily fluctuations. I am recording them (weight and food intake) and looking at them, since for the moment if I don't track, I will get OFF track. BUT I can look at my weight now (today up another .2 from yesterday's up of 1 lb) and not feel panicky or that I MUST CHANGE SOMETHING RIGHT NOW!!! I can much better go with the flow and eat my fat today and we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Hope this helps you!!
Thanks, it helps a lot! Most of us here are just new to trying this kind of modified LC and it really helps to have some of you who have been doing it a while chime in, please keep doing so. I'll bet this will take you on down to your goal weight.

I try not to but still worry a little about, am I eating too little carories, too little carbs, or, am I eating too many calories or too many carbs? The one thing I am pretty certain of is the amount of protein and just kind of going from there. I know it takes time and I am pretty patient with it for the most part b/c I feel so much better and I am seeing a slight downward trend. The first week was pretty exciting to lose that much but I knew it was just the flushing out of fluids, etc. So, now to do it for a while and see kind of where my weekly average falls.
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #627
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 867
Gallery: shelley
Testing to see if I can make an icon work....per Buffy (Thanks!!!)

So, here's my test.....



Edited to add...It worked!!!! Woo hoo...thanks Buffy!!!! That was fun!!
shelley is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #628
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,772
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
Testing to see if I can make an icon work....per Buffy (Thanks!!!)

So, here's my test.....



Edited to add...It worked!!!! Woo hoo...thanks Buffy!!!! That was fun!!
Glad to help!
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #629
Junior LCF Member
 
miker295's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 56
Gallery: miker295
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/22/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post

Maybe Mike will give us the title for the potassium show he was listening to?
It was Jenny Ruhl on the most recent Ask the Low Carb Expert podcast. She mentioned it almost in passing near the end of the show. I don't believe she was talking specifically to thirst, but I remember I was in my car at the time and it dawned on me right away that it could help with my thirst issues so I immediately altered my route and drove to the drug store. I think it was a question about someone who felt shaky while adapting to NK.

Mike
miker295 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #630
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker295 View Post
It was Jenny Ruhl on the most recent Ask the Low Carb Expert podcast. She mentioned it almost in passing near the end of the show. I don't believe she was talking specifically to thirst, but I remember I was in my car at the time and it dawned on me right away that it could help with my thirst issues so I immediately altered my route and drove to the drug store. I think it was a question about someone who felt shaky while adapting to NK.

Mike
Ah, that is this one I think:

Google 'LLVLC-ep-582-jenny-ruhl' should be the first hit.

Thanks Mike
reddarin is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.