Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #571
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/22/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzymommy2430 View Post
Hey Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I feel pretty good energy wise. I got slightly sleepy (almost) for like ten minutes this morning around 7ish. I was up at 5. I only tried melatonin once and that was this summer before I started eating this way. I was just curious how it feels, because my adhd son was taking it. Anyway, I tried 10mg! I felt like I had a hangover of some sort when I woke up and was sooo tired the next day or two. I could possibly try the 1mg. I don't like the idea of having to take anything to sleep though. What is 5-htp? I've been hoping sleep would get back to normal, just not yet. Good idea about the metabolism. I have no clue if that could be it or not.
Oh gosh I've never taken more than 3mg - 10 would definitely give me a hangover! According to what I've heard the body naturally secrets far less than 1mg normally - so you could try taking 0.5 (cut a 1g pill in half) to see if that works.

5-HTP I think is a derivative of tritophan - the stuff that makes everyone drowsy on turkey day.

I have to look into the magnesium others suggested, that sounds like it could be an option too.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #572
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bizzymommy2430
Hey! I googled that site about magnesium. I read what I could, but didn't listen to the audio. Do you have to pay for that? Anyway, I had read on this site about supplementing magnesium, but thought it was more to help with digestive stuff, which I'm having issues not needing to go often. So, Saturday night I bought magnesium at GNC, and so today is only day 3 and I've been taking it in the morning. I guess I need to see how much of a supplement I need. Not sure how many grams in what I bought. Also, I'll definitely switch to night time if that will help! Just reading that little excerpt about magnesium makes me thankful I bought some. Thanks for the help/suggestions. Sleep is always valued. Plus, it said that stress leaches magnesium and my kids are always stressing me out. haha.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #573
Junior LCF Member

I just did another search on magnesium and found this The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition.

It's amazing how important magnesium is! It even states that symptoms of a deficiency can cause things like agorophobia, panic attacks, anxiety, hyperactivity, restlessness..and the list goes on (and not to mention constipation and insomnia..and being "uptight" which I hate to admit but I've been really snappy lately). I think I'm going to start supplementing magnesium for my children as well. My oldest has adhd and I think this will help him with sleep and who knows..maybe hyperactivity.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #574
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Hey! I googled that site about magnesium. I read what I could, but didn't listen to the audio. Do you have to pay for that?
No, all of Jimmy's podcasts are free for anyone to listen to. He does a quick verbal advertisement at the beginning and sometimes in the middle but they are only a minute or two long. It is really good stuff. And since it is an mp3 you can listen while you do other stuff. That is what I do.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #575
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: clairie
Stats: 175/168/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 9/12
My strips came!!! Just in time. I ripped open the pack and of course, had to check.
that's down from my morning fasting. strange- I have been going higher in the daytime. Anyway I am happy to see the result.
No weight loss at all though!! I need to have patience. I realize that showing ketones may mean I am burning fat for fuel, but it could be my fat from what I ate not my stored fat- or is that wrong?
Dr Bernstein says in his new book he had patients eat up to 900 calories of pure fat in addition to their regular meals to try and put weight on and they couldn't gain. He found it was the protein that put the weight on. His diet is very similar to this one.
SO, backing off the fat may not matter in my weight loss? So weird. I don't think I should go below 57 grams of protein for my height. I am 5'7. Sometimes I feel like my body doesn't want to burn the fat.
Now watch, tomorrow I will have lost a pound!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #576
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairie View Post
My strips came!!! Just in time. I ripped open the pack and of course, had to check.
that's down from my morning fasting. strange- I have been going higher in the daytime. Anyway I am happy to see the result.
No weight loss at all though!! I need to have patience. I realize that showing ketones may mean I am burning fat for fuel, but it could be my fat from what I ate not my stored fat- or is that wrong?
Dr Bernstein says in his new book he had patients eat up to 900 calories of pure fat in addition to their regular meals to try and put weight on and they couldn't gain. He found it was the protein that put the weight on. His diet is very similar to this one.
SO, backing off the fat may not matter in my weight loss? So weird. I don't think I should go below 57 grams of protein for my height. I am 5'7. Sometimes I feel like my body doesn't want to burn the fat.
Now watch, tomorrow I will have lost a pound!
Hi Clarie--I don't think you should go lower on the protein, you are definitely registering in ketosis so going lower isn't going to do any good and could do some harm. It may be that people can't gain with the extra fat, but could it be keeping you from losing? You can definitely be burning dietary fat rather than body fat in ketosis. The Art and Science books recommends lowering fat if you are in ketosis and not losing. You could try dropping down a wee bit (10 grams?) of fat and see how that goes. Also, where are you in your cycle? I seem to only lose reliably two weeks out of the month.
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #577
Major LCF Poster!

Just to chime in I'm a big fan of magnesium and take it every evening along with potassium, zinc, melatonin, and seriphos.

Thanks for all the magnesium links bizzymommy!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #578
Junior LCF Member

Sorry that I posted a link I wasn't supposed to. I had no idea that it was for a product until after I posted and that that type of link wasn't allowed. I didn't think it mattered since it still had good info on it. In any case, I think magnesium will definitely help me out a lot.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #579
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Hi Clarie--I don't think you should go lower on the protein, you are definitely registering in ketosis so going lower isn't going to do any good and could do some harm. It may be that people can't gain with the extra fat, but could it be keeping you from losing? You can definitely be burning dietary fat rather than body fat in ketosis. The Art and Science books recommends lowering fat if you are in ketosis and not losing. You could try dropping down a wee bit (10 grams?) of fat and see how that goes.

Ill do good advice!!

Also, where are you in your cycle? I seem to only lose reliably two weeks out of the month.
Just started TOM , so you are right- could be a bad time for me to think I would lose anything! Maybe better luck next week.

Does taking magnesium interefere with thyroid meds? I take 2 Cytomel pills a day one in am and one at around 3. So, I figure take the mag at bedtime?

Thanks!!! You all rock! I am so inspired by reading all the posts.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #580
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Just started TOM , so you are right- could be a bad time for me to think I would lose anything! Maybe better luck next week.

Does taking magnesium interefere with thyroid meds? I take 2 Cytomel pills a day one in am and one at around 3. So, I figure take the mag at bedtime?

Thanks!!! You all rock! I am so inspired by reading all the posts.
I'm almost certain the doctor in Jimmy's podcast says it doesn't contravene any medicines but be sure to listen and make sure.

Google 'LLVLC-ep-602-morley-robbins'. It should be the first hit.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #581
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
No problem with thyroid meds and magnesium (Calcium is the one that should be separated by about 5 hours). You want to take the magnesium before bedtime. I take mine at 8-9 PM and I go to bed around 10 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #582
Junior LCF Member

I've been eating about 10 to 12 g. carbs for the past couple weeks. I ate a little more yesterday and today. I was thinking of having my goal be between 15 and 20. Just wondering from people who use the ketone meter, can I stay in nutritional ketosis at that amount? Those extra carbs make life a little easier!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #583
Junior LCF Member

hi bizzymommy!

from what I know, we are all different at to what level to keep the carbs at and still be in NK. I keep mine at 17-20 -and not net but total. I don't subtract the fiber.

Best way to tell I guess is to test ketones themselves, or if you are losing weight and want to, then all is good. Watch protein too- as that can also be an issue if it is too much, it will convert to glucose and keep you out of ketosis.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #584
Junior LCF Member

Hi Clairie,
Do you test yours with the blood glucose meter? I don't have one. My weight loss is slow and sort of bounces around a little. However, I guess I'll try this number for a week or two, if I don't get impatient. As in, 15-20 total carbs with moderate protein. Thhanks for the reply.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #585
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
I am doing 15-25 total carbs, sometimes go over that a little if I eat something with a lot of fiber in it, I don't worry. So far staying in ketosis just fine, I test with the meter. Have only been at this 3 weeks and am losing but time will tell if I need to tweak and I am sure I will.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #586
Junior LCF Member

Hey Buffy,
Thanks for your info with how it's working for you. Do you think you're going to have to lower your carbs in the future, is that what you're considering tweaking?
Old 09-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #587
Major LCF Poster!

Bizzymommy--Have you figured out your protein requirement yet? Getting the right amount of protein along with keeping your carbs low is the key to getting into NK.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #588
Junior LCF Member

I'm pretty positive I'm in ketosis and have probably been for a week or two. I have the dryest mouth all the time. I just wondered if it would stay that way if I up the carbs a little. I did figure out the protein intake based on that formula and I think it said 58.. so I'm aiming for around 50ish. I figured about 100ish grams of fat. I've lost 7.2lbs so far, been doing low carb and then nk since beginning of September. Just haven't seen much of a loss lately. Like a pound and then it goes up and down..etc.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #589
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm pretty positive I'm in ketosis and have probably been for a week or two. I have the dryest mouth all the time. I just wondered if it would stay that way if I up the carbs a little. I did figure out the protein intake based on that formula and I think it said 58.. so I'm aiming for around 50ish. I figured about 100ish grams of fat. I've lost 7.2lbs so far, been doing low carb and then nk since beginning of September. Just haven't seen much of a loss lately. Like a pound and then it goes up and down..etc.
Yes, it sounds like you are in ketosis. How long have you been bouncing around that pound?
Old 09-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #590
Junior LCF Member

Well maybe a week. I must admit that I made fat bombs or a version of it, with walnut butter, coconut oil and butter, little cocoa powder and stevia. It was the first sweet thing and snack type thing I had in a couple weeks, so I sort of overate them. I was surprised that when you over eat fat, you don't feel as sick as when you overeat carbs. Anyway, so I was up .6 this morning and was kind of relieved. Oh and I also decided to make the mock danish thing yesterday. Today I made the pumpkin shake and my carbs are 19 grams. I recall someone on here saying they actually upped their carbs to lose weight. Was that you? Anyway, hoping I will lose weight with these ratios. My firs week or so of this, I didn't know about ketosis so I was just doing low carb.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #591
Junior LCF Member

I'm going to sleep and am really looking forward to hopefully a great night of sleep thanks to the magnesium tips! I really love sleep.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #592
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
I'm thinking that this is NOT enough food on this plan...I'm so hungry. I've been eating on average 65-70g protein, 140g+fat and 20-30g carbs. Around 1500-1900 calories and I'm still hungry. When I was just doing regular old LC I was never hungry...now I am.

Any ideas as to what may be going on? Red suggested that it may be the CO, but I've had it in the past with no problem...or maybe I did.

I'm just so confused on what I should be doing. Ugh. I don't want my WOE to be a chore, I want it to be my life, but at the same time I don't want to have to think about it all the time and "worry" about what I'm putting in my mouth.

Just had to vent a little!
Goal 4: 145
Old 09-25-2012, 05:42 AM   #593
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa82 View Post
I'm thinking that this is NOT enough food on this plan...I'm so hungry. I've been eating on average 65-70g protein, 140g+fat and 20-30g carbs. Around 1500-1900 calories and I'm still hungry. When I was just doing regular old LC I was never hungry...now I am.

Any ideas as to what may be going on? Red suggested that it may be the CO, but I've had it in the past with no problem...or maybe I did.
If you did have an issue with eating more protein than your body needs, then your body is used to overproducing insulin. It continues to overproduce insulin for a few days yet you have less protein to digest, so it leads to hunger. It just takes a few days and the hunger will decrease. That was how it worked for me. I went from 80-90 grams of protein down to 50-60 when I first started, and I was so hungry no matter how much fat I ate.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #594
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
Start Date: April 2012
Addressing the magnesium issue:

My DD has had severe insomnia for about a year. We tried all of the natural things: melatonin, 5-HTP and I'm sure some other things. The latest thing that I bought actually worked. It's the CALM magnesium that you drink before bedtime. It comes in a powder form and she also takes some melatonin with it. She has had to gradually up her dosage but she goes right to sleep. I can't say enough good things about it!! It has saved her life and allowed her to keep up with all of her schoolwork. Not sleeping is a big deal.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #595
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Addressing the magnesium issue:

Not sleeping is a big deal.
If you're not sleeping, it is the ONLY deal!
If I'm not sleeping I feel like I'm being tortured.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #596
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa82

I'm just so confused on what I should be doing. Ugh. I don't want my WOE to be a chore, I want it to be my life, but at the same time I don't want to have to think about it all the time and "worry" about what I'm putting in my mouth.

Just had to vent a little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob
If you did have an issue with eating more protein than your body needs, then your body is used to overproducing insulin. It continues to overproduce insulin for a few days yet you have less protein to digest, so it leads to hunger. It just takes a few days and the hunger will decrease. That was how it worked for me. I went from 80-90 grams of protein down to 50-60 when I first started, and I was so hungry no matter how much fat I ate.

It took me a while to adjust also. For me it was probably more like a few weeks than a few days. My body wanted more protein for gluconeogenesis because it was still used to burning glucose for fuel. When you make these types of adjustments you can be fighting against very real physiological symptoms that can be very uncomfortable (think Atkins flu). You could try eating at a higher fat level consistently until your hunger subsides. At that point you can reduce your fat if you're not losing.

Or this might not be the plan for you. Remind me of your history--were you on LC before you started NK? How long have you been following this plan? How much had you lost before you started NK? How much are you trying to lose?

My first big loss was on regular LC and it worked well for me until I got stuck! And I was really and truly stuck using my normal LC strategies. NK has been the only thing that unstuck me. But if I was just starting out I would probably go with regular Atkins until I hit a major stall.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #597
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Hey Buffy,
Thanks for your info with how it's working for you. Do you think you're going to have to lower your carbs in the future, is that what you're considering tweaking?
I was thinking more tweaking in the terms of calories first. Will cross that wobbly bridge when I get to it.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #598
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

Yesterday my maintenance intake was:
Protein: 77.1 (20%)
Fat: 144 (75%)
Carbs (total): 19.9 (5%)
Calories: 1576
This morning:
Weight: 146.2 (up .2)
Ketones: .6
BG: 87

Hmmm. My ketones and BG are both down this morning. My protein and carb intake has been pretty steady. I did work out yesterday evening which should raise ketones, but I ate my evening meal after working out which may be hindering ketone production? I've been tracking daily for almost 30 days and I still get stymied by ketone readings.

I have an industry networking event after work that I'm not thrilled about going to. There will be wine, beer, and apps. I won't eat anything so I probably shouldn't have a glass of wine.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #599
Junior LCF Member

Good morning!

Well the magnesium helped with sleep and thanks for the post cfine. I will look into that. My son also slept well. I gave him some too. Now my question is, I woke up bloated!! Weight gain of .8 lbs. Will the magnesium make me bloated and will my body adjust and let go of water?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #600
Junior LCF Member

Good morning!
I took magnesium last night and slept really well!

This morning I woke up
BG 110
Ketones 1.0
higher both tests than yesterday- strange, but ok!

yesterday I ate
Protein :70
Carbs:14
Fat:124

I think I'll back off the protein today. It snuck up on me yesterday!! I am craving it too. I think I need to keep an awareness of that craving. Could be the reason for the higher BG's.
have a great day everyone!
Closed Thread