Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #451
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mom2zeke
Stats: 257/144.8/150
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis--Maintenance!
Start Date: August 6, 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Kids4me View Post
You might try adding in a cup of broth from bouillon every other day or so to see if that helps. I liberally salt too, but still need the broth a couple times a week.
I have to have this every day or I get pretty bad orthostatic hypotension. My BP has always been low and ketosis seems to drive it even lower. The whole thyroid thing doesn't help either. But between the broth (I add even more salt to this) and my thyroid hormone replacement I can keep it from happening too often.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #452
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpluvia View Post
I don't know about tooth sensitivity being linked with LC, but anything is possible when there are so many variables.

So after brushing teeth with Lush Toothy Tabs or xylitol based children's toothpaste, I put on the Gel Kam for about 30 seconds to a minute. You can feel it working. It kind of heats up. Weird but good. I used it about a month the first time and now use it only for a few weeks out of the year when my teeth get sensitive. I've used maybe a third of a tube in 4 years.

This whole thing was probably a derail and TMI, but as far as I can tell, those 'sensitive teeth' toothpastes are just a self-perpetuating bandage so that you have to buy more pricey product that doesn't fix the problem. Gel Kam isn't shiny and new, but it addresses the actual cause. As long as you use as directed on the package, and don't let any kids or animals eat the whole tube, it certainly isn't any more dangerous than any other bathroom product.
Well this is good information.
Thank you so much! I'm going to try it.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #453
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
WOE: low cal/low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Well this is good information.
Thank you so much! I'm going to try it.
Me too! Thanks!
Old 09-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #454
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Flavia
Stats: lose 50lbs
Hey, about the sensitive teeth

I have super sensitive teeth and recommended by dentist this "certain" toothpaste. But did some homework on my natural remedies sites on fb and on the net and I discovered "oil pulling". After u get up u swish ur teeth for 15-20min with CO and then spit it out (very important). It has helped me with my sensitivity....and kills germs in my mouth and gums without chemicals....If u need more info pls google "oil pulling" and it will give you a ton of info...hope this helps somebody....especially ppl who are trying to stay all natural
Old 09-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #455
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
I've done and sometimes do oil pulling, but it didn't seem to do anything for tooth pain. Great for my gums and sinuses though.

JMCM1, Zay, I'm glad I could help.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #456
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maybelle
Stats: 225/battling the 190s/150
Start Date: July 2011
yesterday's breakdown:

1700 calories
130.3g fat
26.5g net carbs
99.4 g protein

or 69-24-7
Old 09-22-2012, 05:05 AM   #457
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
yesterday's breakdown:

1262 Calories

113g Fat(80%)

46.2g Protein (14.5%)

17.5g Total Carbs (5.5%)

Stats are the same today and probably will not change until TOM passes. I'm okay with that; I used to gain at least a few pounds of water weight every month at this time.

Planning on more calories and protein today, because it's day 2 of INSANITY!
Old 09-22-2012, 05:22 AM   #458
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Sensitive teeth.

Since I quite eating wheat my teeth seem a whole lot better. So that might be something to try for a month.

I was drinking a lot of those sugar-free drink stick things you add to bottled water a few months ago. They made my teeth hurt after a few weeks of drinking maybe 8 to 10 a day. I drank HP and Wal-Mart brand various flavors.

I guess it could be the citric acid or whatever they use in the fruit flavors.

What made that stick out to me was that I hadn't had that problem at all since dropping wheat and it didn't hurt drinking them just at various times of the day.

After I quit drinking them my teeth stopped hurting. I don't, and didn't, use any sensitive toothpaste.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #459
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Tooth sensitivity

"swish ur teeth for 15-20min with CO and then spit it out (very important)."

15-20 minutes? I need to google that.

I've been wheat-free since June 4! Can't believe I'm kind of proud of that, but I am. Might need to re-examine my accomplishments...
Old 09-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #460
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I've been wheat-free since June 4! Can't believe I'm kind of proud of that, but I am.
In a land of wheat in so much stuff that you'd never guess (soy sauce???) it *is* a proud accomplishment
Old 09-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #461
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am following along with NK guidelines but I am a JUDDD'er. I am down to the last 5 pounds which is going slow so thought I would shake things up a bit by trying NK. Looking good so far after three days I am at 144.4 down from 146.2. On JUDDD you bounce up and down on the scale since it is a calorie cycling plan and IF and combines down days and up days. My bounces have always been at least 2 pounds. Up and down and up and down and then down. But so far the bounces are ranging from .8 to 1.2 so that is a good thing. AND I am continuing my UD/DD rotations just working the %'s into that routine. M y normal DD's already matched the %'s but obviously can't do the total grams of each on a DD. UD's are easy to get the correct number of grams of each.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/153/139 JUDDD 07/28/14
Old 09-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #462
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Welcome Adillenal! Sounds like you are doing great, glad to have you and your ideas on our thread.

Judy, that is quite an accomplishment with wheat being on practically every ingreg label we read.

I am rounding the corner on the end of week 3 on this WOE and so very proud of that, why we have to "make" ourselves do things that improve our health is a mystery, right?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #463
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom_2_4
Stats: 298/210/150ish
WOE: Atkins for the first 100 lbs now doing NK
Start Date: August 2006
Good morning everyone!! Didn't have time to check in yesterday, but I did catch up on reading this morning my weight is down to 211.2!!!! VERY exciting! So that makes 9 pounds in 7 days because I started last saturday!!

Bad news is I will have to eat at a fundraiser dinner tonight and will not be able to avoid it completely I'm sure I'll show a gain for a few days but will get right back on track tomorrow!

Another note, I woke up with a HORRIBLE headache. Saw you all discussing this and this is the first one I've experienced. Wonder whats causing it? Also, more water retention when i woke up. Hmmmmmmmm,
Old 09-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #464
Big Yapper!!!!

WTG Mom 2 4, that is a super loss for week one.

Yes, I was one of the ones with the headaches, none yesterday and so far none today so maybe I am moving past that.

How about eating before you go tonight, then just picking at your food, claim your tummy is a little off, anything to avoid ruining what you have worked so hard for all week!!! It really sets you back if you swerve off on this, I would avoid it if at all possible. Just my 2 cents, you will do what you need to do, but best to you on it.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #465
Big Yapper!!!!

I hit my highest ketone reading this morning since I started testing. 1.6, I am now in the optimal zone. 1.5 - 3. I quit testing at night b/c I am not eating anything off plan and they are lowest in the AM, so as long as I am good in the AM, I don't need to waste that strip at night. Once I stay above 1.5, I will cut that testing in the AM back some as well.

Almost finished with my third week and couldn't be happier I found this WOE.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #466
Major LCF Poster!

adillenal!

Congratulations on your loss mom_2_4! Sorry about your headache. I had one this morning too, but I know that it was the wine (see below).

JMCM1--Congrats on being wheat-free. This is my goal also and I think I do a pretty good job of it. Going out is always the wild-card for me. I hate being a PITA and asking about all the ingredients in dishes. Flour is used in so many things. But with all the celiac people around it's become easier. Because of some of my medical issues I've been told my multiple doctors to avoid wheat and gluten, and I've felt so much better since I started taking that seriously.

I wasn't able to fully track yesterday because I went out to dinner with my mom and DH. Had an amazing steak dinner, only ate half of my wagyu ribeye (not easy, but that was my goal), had the blue cheese wedge salad, and a bit too much wine. Instead of dessert, when I got home I had a bit more fat (mascarpone cheese and berries). Because of the wine I expected to be out of ketosis this morning, but I guess not eating too much protein combined with the extra fat worked because this morning I registered at 2.0--the highest am ketones I've seen in a while! I was also down to 148.8 on the scale which surprised me.

I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend! How is everyone else doing?
257/144.8/150
BF% Goal 26%/20%/20%
February Nutritional Ketosis...Are you in the zone?
Nutritional Ketosis Thread Information and Posts of Interest
My Maintenance Journal
Original weight 2001--257 Maintaining 165-175 from 2002-March 2012
March 2012 to August 2012--175/150 Made Goal 8/27/12!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #467
Big Yapper!!!!

AWESOME Kristn, so happy you were able to go out with DH and Mom and have a great meal, have some wine, and wake up higher in ketones and lower in weight. Rock it!!!

You know, I have told you before, that you were the one who really inspired me to start back on LC and especially this WOE. So, you have me following you around like a little dog, watching your every move, learning, learning, learning!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #468
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I hit my highest ketone reading this morning since I started testing. 1.6, I am now in the optimal zone. 1.5 - 3. I quit testing at night b/c I am not eating anything off plan and they are lowest in the AM, so as long as I am good in the AM, I don't need to waste that strip at night. Once I stay above 1.5, I will cut that testing in the AM back some as well.

Almost finished with my third week and couldn't be happier I found this WOE.
Woo hoo Buffy! I also quit testing when I was losing and in the zone for a while. I think the meter is a great tool to help you understand what you need to do to get into optimal ketosis. But if you're following the same plan every day then you don't need to test unless something changes.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #469
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
AWESOME Kristn, so happy you were able to go out with DH and Mom and have a great meal, have some wine, and wake up higher in ketones and lower in weight. Rock it!!!

You know, I have told you before, that you were the one who really inspired me to start back on LC and especially this WOE. So, you have me following you around like a little dog, watching your every move, learning, learning, learning!
Thanks so much Buffy. I am just so happy that this is working for you (and others) as well as it's worked for me. I sometimes can't quite believe it!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #470
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zeke View Post
Thanks so much Buffy. I am just so happy that this is working for you (and others) as well as it's worked for me. I sometimes can't quite believe it!
I keep pinching myself as well, LC in the past did not produce much weight loss for me and I always got frustrated and gave up. I know the reasons now, but glad I finally got it all figured out and it is working.

And, I really want to help my DD lose, poor thing she has my body type and appetite to the T and I feel bad that she has to battle weight like she does. She is a beautiful, successful woman, great wife and mother and this is the one area of her life that makes her feel bad, we are going to fix that!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #471
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
At least reading all about NK made me realize why I had such a hard time on Atkins. I would tend to really eat a lot of protein. I could maintain very easily on Atkins but not lose.
It is really hard to wrap the brain around lowering protein and raising fat as well as keeping carbs low. BUT I did it on my calorie counter site and have some menus in place for UD's since I never vary my DD menu.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #472
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/22/11
Hi all,

Glad to hear so many success stories! I have had a great week as well. New records for me across the board - weight, waist and BF%. I am literally doing double takes on some of the measurements. I am down 8# and 1" off waist since 9/1. And not hungry!

I got my blood work back and am trying to decipher the numbers:
Total Cholesterol: 278
Triglycerides: 54
HDL: 89
VLDL: 11
LDL: 178

My total cholesterol and LDL are through the roof - I kind of expected that, but I didn't expect it to be quite that high. My HDL and Triglycerides continue to look fantastic as far as I can tell.

Another area highlighted by the lab was a high BUN level and BUN/Creatinine ratio. This apparently relates to kidney function. I suspect this is related to the NK and the excessive thirst which is the side effect I usually experience in ketosis. I've been downing water by the gallon and I'm going to up my sodium intake for a few days to see if that combats the thirst. That is something I can handle temporarily which will hopefully go away when I switch to maintenance. Has anyone else had any experience with this diet and BUN levels?

Nothing on the thyroid was flagged, but I have no idea how to interpret those numbers. I'm going to talk to the doc next week to get her opinion.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #473
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
At least reading all about NK made me realize why I had such a hard time on Atkins. I would tend to really eat a lot of protein. I could maintain very easily on Atkins but not lose.
It is really hard to wrap the brain around lowering protein and raising fat as well as keeping carbs low. BUT I did it on my calorie counter site and have some menus in place for UD's since I never vary my DD menu.
EXACTLY, I could maintain on atkins, just didn't lose great, same reasons!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #474
Big Yapper!!!!

GREAT news Miker.

I have had high BUN results for the last few years, even before this WOE. I was hoping this might bring them down, ????

You are doing great!
Old 09-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #475
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amlyjo
Stats: 332/310/175
WOE: LC-HF-MP
Start Date: June 2013
Hey all,

Things are good here. Down a pound after nothing the last couple of days. I am THIS close to 30 lbs down! You will hear the screams of joy all the way to your house. Actually 2 more pounds after that and I will be in the 2's. I may save my screams for that. 3.8 lbs!!!

An NSV yesterday...I put on the next lowest size of jeans. They were a little snug but I wore them anyways. No one said anything but I knew in my heart and in my thighs that it was a real milestone! I guess that's a good thing of keeping your skinny clothes is that you have something to work down in to!

Still no meter in the mail. No biggie, I can't really afford the strips. And I am losing, and NO CHEATS, so I don't think it's too big of a deal.

My blood work last week looked mostly good. D is low. Ferritin is quite low, this is a long term problem for me, way before low carb. LDH is high. I don't know what that is. Mr. Google will have to tell me later. Total cholesterol 146. HDL 55, LDL 75. Trig 81. LDL/HDL ratio 1.4

Thyroid: TSH 1.08 (lab .45-4.5)
Free T3 6.2 (lab 2.0-4.4)
Free T4 1.08 (lab .82-1.77)

I see my doc on Monday to go over these numbers. Overall I am pleased. Need to chat with her on the thyroid stuff to make sure I am optimized.

Have a great day!

6/22/13 restart of NK
Old 09-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #476
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
For those researching cholesterol and trying to figure out which numbers are important and when to be concerned, Dr. Peter Attia (Eating Academy is his website) has a very thorough series of posts on cholesterol.

--Jamie
Old 09-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #477
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Jamie...thanks for telling the others to check out Peter Attia on the cholesterol tests and the numbers.

Mike, you are doing great with the tests....I have high cholesterol and it's "no big deal" as long as the triglycerides, HDL, particle size, etc. are where they belong. Re: thyroid, I have spent the last 3 years getting optimized and if you want to post numbers and tests done, feel free to do so.

That brings me to Amy and her thyroid test results. I am "assuming" you are taking some sort of thyroid hormone to have that FT3 number way over range. I hope you are going to see your doc about that as a high FT3 number is scary for a woman for a variety of reasons...unless you took some Cytomel/T3 within a couple hours of the blood draw.

I'm really jealous of all of you who are getting the high numbers on your ketone strips. I've been hanging around from .7 to 1.0 and mostly around .9 and am not sure how to correct that at all. I have varied my protein from low to "below" the minimums per the formulations by Rebecca which are lower than Phinney/Volek's .6 per pound. I'm at the low end of the lean body weight of my "goal weight", so it's lower. My fat varies from 79-83% and still can't seem to get the ketones up there where I'd love to be. But I'm hanging in there. At least I can report that my glucose levels are doing quite nicely!!
:-)
Old 09-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #478
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
I'm really jealous of all of you who are getting the high numbers on your ketone strips. I've been hanging around from .7 to 1.0 and mostly around .9 and am not sure how to correct that at all. I have varied my protein from low to "below" the minimums per the formulations by Rebecca which are lower than Phinney/Volek's .6 per pound. I'm at the low end of the lean body weight of my "goal weight", so it's lower. My fat varies from 79-83% and still can't seem to get the ketones up there where I'd love to be. But I'm hanging in there. At least I can report that my glucose levels are doing quite nicely!!
:-)
Shelley, you could try a fat fast day. If I recall correctly it is 1200 calories and you try to eat fat every 2 hours at 200 calories per mini-meal.

I did it once or twice way back when and I was stunned that I didn't get starved although I did get a little hungry.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #479
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Shelley, you could try a fat fast day. If I recall correctly it is 1200 calories and you try to eat fat every 2 hours at 200 calories per mini-meal.

I did it once or twice way back when and I was stunned that I didn't get starved although I did get a little hungry.
Thanks so much for the idea....I did that for 4 days about 3 weeks ago, and I have still had some of the fat fast "meals" for current meals to up the fat and lower the protein. I have definitely been staying where I "should be" with regard to grams of protein and fat, and my carbs are usually in the teens for "total" carbs, not net.

I think I need to drop my total calories and have less fat...which sort of defeats the entire idea, but what I'm doing has me with a 2# weightloss over a 3 week period, so won't complain as at least it's a loss! But my ketones stay pretty well around the .9 range.....technically in the NK zone, but nowhere near the 1.5 - 3 that I want to achieve for optimal fat burning.

I test first thing in the AM...and am wondering if others are as well (which is when you get the lowest readings of the day). Maybe I should test before dinner or bedtime to make myself happier with higher numbers??? :-)
Old 09-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #480
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Subscribing.
Closed Thread