Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #391
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom_2_4
Stats: 298/210/150ish
WOE: Atkins for the first 100 lbs now doing NK
Start Date: August 2006
Question: how do you know when it's time to adjust something and what do you adjust first? Suggestions would be great. I had a one pound gain from Tuesday but also woke up AGAIN with a lot of water retention for some reason? I weighed last night, before eating dinner, and was at 212.2 this morning I was up to 213. Could that much be from the water retention over night? Either way I haven't lost in a few days so is it time to adjust something? The water retention is throwing me off because I can't figure out what's causing it and I've increased my water intake as well, now that I'm at work and have moved around etc. it's going away. I generally can judge by my rings, woke up and it felt like a vice on my finger now it slides on and off easily..... Baffled.

My intake yesterday was
Calories:1664.2
Carbs:13.3
Fats:144.2
Protein:56.6

I know I won't lose everyday, but I definitely don't want to gain either! So is it time to adjust something?

Last edited by mom_2_4; 09-20-2012 at 06:40 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #392
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
mom 2 4, the one thing I can think of is TOM for retaining fluid, but it could be a lot of things. The good thing is that it should be temporary, if not then you should look into that further.

I am only in my third week so not really experienced enough to give advice on the tweaking.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #393
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Flavia
Stats: lose 50lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I am amazingly satisfied with very small portions of high fat food these days (frantically looks for wood to knock on to keep this happening). I had a dinner consisting of some liver pate on 3 flax crackers about 6 hours ago, and I haven't the slightest desire to nibble on anything, and probably won't think about food until tomorrow morning or even noonish.

I am trying to keep my calories around 1200 because I don't want to slow down my thyroid/general metabolism, but it's easy, some days, to stop at 900-1000 calories. So, yeah, I have noticed a drop in hunger which could translate into fewer calories consumed. When adjusting to this NK woe, I was wicked hungry some evenings/days, but I also kept my calories in the 1200 range, anyway. If I'd eaten to satiation, I would have eaten way more than I want to eat now.
Unfortunately, this does not happen to me. First (maybe the first week) I was full and not hungry. But then slowly as my body got used to the food I got hungry again....I could easily eat over my cal every day
Old 09-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #394
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning! Loving this WOE and hearing from the rest of you as you are on this plan.
I feel sooo much better.
I am sleeping and getting to sleep so much better.
My appetite is totally under control.
I could go on and on and I am only in my third week. Sure hope this feeling holds because it makes it so easy to stick to this.
I think my weight loss is going to be slow but before I started I was slowly gaining so this is the right trend.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #395
Big Yapper!!!!

Do any of you find yourself reading the threads and then wanting to run to the store each day to pick up any new of different product you read about? I have placed more online orders in the last 3 weeks than I have in 3 months!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #396
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Zyllah
Buffy! Yep
Old 09-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #397
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Do any of you find yourself reading the threads and then wanting to run to the store each day to pick up any new of different product you read about? I have placed more online orders in the last 3 weeks than I have in 3 months!
Uhm, yea I have the SAME problem!!! I have acquired many new goodies at my house since starting this LOL

One more thing, I began using half & half in my coffee rather than HWC because I found myself using almost all of my fat each day on the HWC because I use so much (4-6 tbsp) in a 20 oz cup. Wonder if that threw me off? Hmmmmmmmm just brainstorming outloud LOL
Old 09-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #398
Blabbermouth!!!

Half & Half is made also of milk and that has more carbs. So maybe that could be it also
Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #399
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
mom 2 4, the one thing I can think of is TOM for retaining fluid, but it could be a lot of things. The good thing is that it should be temporary, if not then you should look into that further.

I am only in my third week so not really experienced enough to give advice on the tweaking.
It has been especially noticeable the last two mornings, but yes TOM may be it but it is gone now, so idk??

I also ate fish the last two nights for dinner with dill relish and that has tons of sodium in it.

I don't cook with much salt at all. and I have noticed that, especially when I eat out, when I take in a lot of sodium I swell pretty bad.

Sushi is my WEAKNESS and OMG that soy sauce, even the low sodium, swells me up for DAYS!!!! UGH!!!!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #400
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3rmanchik View Post
Half & Half is made also of milk and that has more carbs. So maybe that could be it also
Yea, it's kind of a trade off. I was always still pretty low on carbs everyday on the HWC, just REALLY high on fat. So I thought if I switched it up it would allow me to be able to eat more and it has, because I'm not out of fats for the day by noon LOL and my carbs are still well within the range of 20 or less.

I think the fat or protein need to be adjusted but I have NO idea if I need to go up or down and on which one???
Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #401
Blabbermouth!!!

I would do one for one week and if nothing happens do the other for a week....everybody is diff so u have to try it out....
Old 09-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #402
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
lol yes! This is exactly what happened to me yesterday after spending a lot of time reading and deciding to start this woe. Online order placed and also stopped by the store to pick up delicious high fat foods that I love. I honestly feel the best eating high fat, so I'm really hoping I can make this work for me.

mom_2_4, sushi also puffs me up like no tomorrow. Probably the combination of the soy sauce and the sushi rice (which has sweet rice wine vinegar and frequently sugar as well in it). Every time I have it, I'm up 2-3 lbs of water weight over the following day or two, but it always goes down a few days afterwards. I put up with it because I get the hankering for a nice sushi meal every couple months.

Weight going up a bit with water retention could come from so many things, it's really hard to say. For me it could be TOM, ovulation, sodium or even lack of sodium, any other electrolyte imbalance, allergies, carbs, lack of sleep, the state of my digestive health, certain food sensitivities, etc. A little TMI, but are you going to the bathroom normally? I usually go every morning no problems, but occasionally when I don't or if it's a littler er, cloggy, my weight is up a bit until it's normal again.

Last edited by vilanteira; 09-20-2012 at 08:43 AM..
Old 09-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #403
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
I also can't figure out why the water retention in this plan-been drinking lots of water to try to counteract. All I'm saying, this is different than atkins, which I am used to after years. Going to hang in there tho, for at least 1-2 months to see if it's just something temporary.
Thanks to everyone for the advice, histories, I'm learning.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #404
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_2_4 View Post
Question: how do you know when it's time to adjust something and what do you adjust first? Suggestions would be great. I had a one pound gain from Tuesday but also woke up AGAIN with a lot of water retention for some reason? I weighed last night, before eating dinner, and was at 212.2 this morning I was up to 213. Could that much be from the water retention over night? Either way I haven't lost in a few days so is it time to adjust something? The water retention is throwing me off because I can't figure out what's causing it and I've increased my water intake as well, now that I'm at work and have moved around etc. it's going away. I generally can judge by my rings, woke up and it felt like a vice on my finger now it slides on and off easily..... Baffled.

My intake yesterday was
Calories:1664.2
Carbs:13.3
Fats:144.2
Protein:56.6

I know I won't lose everyday, but I definitely don't want to gain either! So is it time to adjust something?
For me, I said I would do this for a month and keep daily track of weight and food and not change anything until then. So...it's been 3 weeks and 6 days so far. Total I have lost 6.2 lbs. First week I dropped 4 pounds, a little every day. (Some water, so you know, it won't be that fast going forward.)

Based on my daily weighing, each week after that I had the same pattern - up a little, down a little, up a lot, down a little, up a little, down a lot...THEN hit a new low. So, crazy making, yes...patience is required.

Kristin said a while ago that this time around the daily fluctuations are interesting and not so emotional - I have found that as well - the ups and downs are now just showing me my pattern and don't make me spin out. Last weekend I took Aleve and gained 3 lbs over 2 days (water weight...naproxen SODIUM anyone??). Another time I would have just said screw it and gone out for a burger and fries. I just stayed with it all week and the water went and today I hit a new low...yay!

I have intentionally kept exercise to a minimum, but when I do (i am on a social/recreational tennis team so maybe once a week), I have found that if I exercise in the morning I am more likely to show a loss the next day (not always), but if I exercise in the evening I will stay the same or even gain (i think the muscles hold water from exercising).

I also had one "free" meal which kept me okay in cals, but my macros were screwed (pasta...) and I gained water, but it was gone in a few days with a new low by the end of that week.

So overall my trend is down and that is exactly what I want. Yes, I worried when the scale fluctuated, but I didn't let it take over my emotional well being and further, I just had faith that it is the right thing for my body - so I wasn't quick to tweak or change things up. Plus, coming here and reading everyone's stories and daily travails is tremendously motivating. So, stay the course - it may not be a "quick fix" and keeping the data will help you identify your trends.

I have had food issues almost my entire adult life. Even when I was following Atkins 10 years ago I just wanted to eat all the freaking time - big portions, no restrictions - worked great for a while. I have come a long way mentally to break my need for abundance, but I find this really, really easy to eat within "my parameters" and be completely satisfied.

Anyway, looooong post - hope it helps to hear my story - any questions, ask away...
Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #405
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Mom 2 4.....my only recommendation on trying to get in less fat so you can have more throughout the day is to have the HWC, but split it with water! That way it will "taste" like half and half, but will be the HWC with water instead of the milk/lactose sugars. So,the best of both worlds! Give it a try okay?

For those testing this out and seeing subtle losses and gains and the yo yo thing, what Route66 wrote is "right on target" with the ups and downs, but slowly slowly getting to new lows! That has been my experience and what it says in the books by P/V as well. To expect gains of 2.2# (a kilo?) based on water retention and to just keep going as it will go away in time. The weight fluctuations are normal, but if you chart it you should see those ups and downs showing a trend downward....again..its' a slow process, won't happen quickly. It's worth the time and effort to be healthy and shrink!!!!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #406
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JoeEO
Generation Ucan

Has anyone experimented with Generation Ucan's Super Starch product?

It is referenced in the Phinney/Volek performance book. I am going to try it after my strength work out this evening.

Peace,

Joe E O
Old 09-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #407
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenurse View Post
I also can't figure out why the water retention in this plan-been drinking lots of water to try to counteract. All I'm saying, this is different than atkins, which I am used to after years. Going to hang in there tho, for at least 1-2 months to see if it's just something temporary.
Thanks to everyone for the advice, histories, I'm learning.
You didn't come off a calorie restricted plan did you?

Not sure about your water retention...mine is always TOM related...have to eat unreal amounts of salt to have that and generally don't get water retention from diet changes. But I know plenty other folks do. Hang on!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #408
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3Kids4me
Stats: 202/196/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: March 1, 2013
I've been struggling a tiny bit with low energy. I bumped up fat a bit today and dialed the protein back. Maybe that will boost things a bit. Calories haven't been lower than 1400ish, and rarely under 1500. So I don't think it's too low overall. Just need to feel a bit more of a boost!

Good discussion on water retention. Lots of things seem to affect me. Mid-cycle, PMS week, low salt (I need to drink my broth yet today), irregularity, and hard exercise. I measure and really try not to let the scale have much authority within a range. But it's so hard to not see steady losses!
Old 09-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #409
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_2_4 View Post
Yea, it's kind of a trade off. I was always still pretty low on carbs everyday on the HWC, just REALLY high on fat. So I thought if I switched it up it would allow me to be able to eat more and it has, because I'm not out of fats for the day by noon LOL and my carbs are still well within the range of 20 or less.

I think the fat or protein need to be adjusted but I have NO idea if I need to go up or down and on which one???
I'm debating on whether to use the HWC vs. Half and half since the difference is......

HWC - 1/2 cup (8 TBS) - 410 calories - 44 FAT GRAMS - 3.3 CARBS - 2.4 PRO

Half and Half - 1/2 cup (8 TBS) - 157 calories - 14 FAT GRAMS - 5.2 CARBS - 3.6 PRO

This is what I came up with...
I am satisfied with HWC and coffee for several hours in the morning
I not satisfied with half and half with my coffee for very long....I need food
So when I have HWC in coffee - its breakfast!
If I have half and half in coffee - I have food along with it.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #410
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Ok got the other nova max meter (it did have 10 bg strips and 2 keto strips. I have an email in to the seller because that's not what the description said).
Anyway, tested the 2 nova's along with the freestyle and truetest.
Both nova's registered 0.7 ketones.
Now for bg:
older nova 96
new nova 104
freestyle 76
truetest 78
So still a big difference in the bg readings. I was happy to see they registered the same ketone reading.
My fingers have had enough this week, will check again Monday lol.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #411
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
I have had food issues almost my entire adult life. Even when I was following Atkins 10 years ago I just wanted to eat all the freaking time - big portions, no restrictions - worked great for a while. I have come a long way mentally to break my need for abundance, but I find this really, really easy to eat within "my parameters" and be completely satisfied.
Ditto.

I am 12 pounds from my goal. I am losing maybe .5 pound a week with all the ups and downs. But for the first time in my life, I'm so satisfied with my food I can't imagine eating any other way.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #412
Blabbermouth!!!

Dottie, u got to give those poor little fingers a break lolololol
thank you so much for being our guinnea piggy
Old 09-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #413
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Ok got the other nova max meter (it did have 10 bg strips and 2 keto strips. I have an email in to the seller because that's not what the description said).
Anyway, tested the 2 nova's along with the freestyle and truetest.
Both nova's registered 0.7 ketones.
Now for bg:
older nova 96
new nova 104
freestyle 76
truetest 78
So still a big difference in the bg readings. I was happy to see they registered the same ketone reading.
My fingers have had enough this week, will check again Monday lol.
Oh my gosh Dottie...your poor fingers!!!! I'm glad you're going to give them a rest.

I'm so sorry that the item you purchased was not as advertised...hope you hear back from the seller.....has the description changed from when you ordered?

I"m very interested in fasting BG readings, so your tests were very important to me. I only have the Nova Max Plus meter, so if the readings I'm getting are "higher than they should be", I'll be a happy camper. At least my numbers are coming down.

I did my tests today before lunch...which meant several hours after breakfast which contained coconut/MCT and macadamia oils. My ketones were the highest they've been and my fasting BG was pretty much the same as it's been for the last week. I think I'll test first thing in the AM where I can really see my ketone reading as "fact" and not being helped up with the fat/oils, etc. that raise ketone readings.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #414
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
today's numbers:

Cals: 1531
C: 39
P: 60
F: 132
weight: 149.8 (down .8)
Old 09-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #415
Senior LCF Member

Posting my intake for today now, probably won't have much time tomorrow with working an extra job and kids activities.
Calories: 1135.4
Carb:17.9 (10.3 net)
Fat:100.4
Protein:45.1

Curious to see what the scale holds for me tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be good to me! Nite nite everyone! Will try and check in tomorrow some time!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #416
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maybelle
Stats: 225/battling the 190s/150
Start Date: July 2011
Yesterday's intake:

1859 calories
154g fat
94g protein (needs to go down some)
19g net carb

or 75-20-5.

I think I might move to lighter cream to ease up the calories a bit...
Old 09-21-2012, 05:12 AM   #417
Junior LCF Member

I'm so ecstatic! I scored some cheap Ketone testing strips for the other meter on Ebay! Anyway yesterday was a good day with diet/exercise although I think I need to get my carbs down a bit.

Cals: 1,555
Carbs 28
Protein 60
Fat 128
Old 09-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #418
Big Yapper!!!!

I am beyond excited this morning! Although I am just updating my weight on Mondays here, I have to tell you all that this morning I am 10 lbs down from my starting weight! 10 lbs in 14days! Not to mention feeling soooo much better, sleeping better, getting to sleep easily at night instead of tossing and turning. And, my skin is not nearly as dry. And, I love this WOE.

Yesterday's Menu:
B - 2 fried eggs
24 oz coffee with 2 T CO

L - none

D - 1/2 deviled egg
4 oz tilapia
1/2 cup green beans
HWC
Butter
Widget's Biscuit

S - 2 CC muffins
root beer float
1 fat bomb

Cal - 1295
Fat - 113 77.8%
Carb - 14 4.3%
Pro - 58 17.9%
Old 09-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #419
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyllah View Post
I'm so ecstatic! I scored some cheap Ketone testing strips for the other meter on Ebay! Anyway yesterday was a good day with diet/exercise although I think I need to get my carbs down a bit.

Cals: 1,555
Carbs 28
Protein 60
Fat 128
Zyllah, what did you end up paying on ebay, if you don't mind sharing? I also got some there and paid $22.50 a box. My best price so far though has been when CVS had them on sale with that additional 30% off, I know they ran out quicly though and I am sorry for those of you that didn't get yours when you ordered. You might think about calling customer service to see about a raincheck? I forgot to put my 30% offer in, so after I placed my order I called customer service and they were super nice and quickly gave me the discount.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #420
Junior LCF Member

I paid 34 with shipping for 30 of the precision test strips. I have both meters you can get the precision for free too. Although they don't give you any ketone strips. Novamax tends to be cheaper in general this was just a one off auction.
Closed Thread